PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson changing approach?

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 08:37 AM
“There were some guys we were eyeballing, Raji and Clay as an example,” Thompson said. “We didn’t know how to go about doing it, we didn’t know how things were going to fall. But there wasn’t any particular plan. In the former years when we were building up, I told you we were trying to build up the core of our team. I think we’ve done some of that during the course of time, and there might eventually become diminishing returns on the draft. But we still believe the draft is the best way to build a team.”

Diminishing returns on several picks.

Still best way to build team.

Listening to Ted Thompson before the draft, I got the impression we would see fewer trade downs. He just sounded like he didn't need as many prospects at as many positions. I thought we might see trade's of this years picks for higher ones next year. I didn't see such a drastic trade up.

After seeing day one of the draft and hearing Thompson talk, it sounds like he's at a point with this team that he feels the groundwork has been laid and there will be diminishing returns on a dozen picks per year. He still loves the draft, but might feel that in order to get players to stick and in order to get playmakers, he'll have to start focusing in a little more specifically rather than letting the whole draft drop to him (something that works great when you have 2 holes at every position).

What he's done leading up to now was the easy part. Well, to be patient is not easy for anyone, but because he was patient and not desperate, he was able to restock the roster with good, young players and a couple playmakers. Now that he has a lot of good players, it's time to put the icing on the cake. They have elite offensive coaches. Now they have elite defensive coaches. They have a solid core. It looks like Thompson is ready to start piecing the final pieces into place and going for a championship run. I still think he values draft picks and won't be as extreme as Sherman. I still think he feels signing his own guys early is smarter than always working in UFA like Sherman did. I still think he's cautious on the UFA market because teams get burned more than they get help. Still, I think, in his way, he's moving to a new phase of putting this team over the top. I think our window opens now.

RashanGary
04-26-2009, 08:51 AM
I'd like to add that I still think trading this years picks for higher picks next year is a great idea.

Value is the overriding concept in getting more with your resources. Desperation to do things right now, drives people to take out loans and hurt themselves in ways they sugar coat at the time. I think late 1sts, 2nds and early 3rds are the best picks in the draft. Finding people willing to part with those next year on a "loan" to get something now sounds like a great tactic to me.

When you start approaching diminishing returns, it seems to me that you want to have more picks in the best ranges of the draft so you can cherry pick possible stars and fill in with ideal players for your scheme that don't tend to last. Seems to me there are a couple ways to do that. We saw one yesterday. Maybe we'll start seeing the loading up of future picks like NE does as well. I just think he has to open up that option so when there aren't great conventional options, maybe this one turns out to be a great plan B.

Fritz
04-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm agreeing with you on trading this year's for higher ones next, JH, as long as the Pack comes out of today with one or two OT's or an OT and a guard. I also wouldn't mind seeing a fullbacka nd a corner get drafted.

But the Packers have by my count six picks today.

As I posted elsewhere, the thinking seems to be that because next year's draft is the fuzzy future, you can trade away, say, next year's fourth for this year's fifth. That sounds good now....but next year, someone else will have your fourth rounder.

Come next year when da Bears have no first because of Cutler, that's going to feel a lot more painful than it does right now for them.

So if TT wants to trade a fifth for a fourth next year, do it. But do get the Pack on OT or two and a corner, and maybe a fullback, please.

Bretsky
04-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I'd like to add that I still think trading this years picks for higher picks next year is a great idea.

Value is the overriding concept in getting more with your resources. Desperation to do things right now, drives people to take out loans and hurt themselves in ways they sugar coat at the time. I think late 1sts, 2nds and early 3rds are the best picks in the draft. Finding people willing to part with those next year on a "loan" to get something now sounds like a great tactic to me.

When you start approaching diminishing returns, it seems to me that you want to have more picks in the best ranges of the draft so you can cherry pick possible stars and fill in with ideal players for your scheme that don't tend to last. Seems to me there are a couple ways to do that. We saw one yesterday. Maybe we'll start seeing the loading up of future picks like NE does as well. I just think he has to open up that option so when there aren't great conventional options, maybe this one turns out to be a great plan B.

completely agree

Doing what Denver did completely baffles me; trading next year's first for this years second

Seems like there is a sucker or two every year who does that; I hope some year we can be the beneficiary of an extra 1st like that

Bretsky
04-26-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm agreeing with you on trading this year's for higher ones next, JH, as long as the Pack comes out of today with one or two OT's or an OT and a guard. I also wouldn't mind seeing a fullbacka nd a corner get drafted.

But the Packers have by my count six picks today.

As I posted elsewhere, the thinking seems to be that because next year's draft is the fuzzy future, you can trade away, say, next year's fourth for this year's fifth. That sounds good now....but next year, someone else will have your fourth rounder.

Come next year when da Bears have no first because of Cutler, that's going to feel a lot more painful than it does right now for them.

So if TT wants to trade a fifth for a fourth next year, do it. But do get the Pack on OT or two and a corner, and maybe a fullback, please.

Not that worried about OG; would welcome some OT prospects.

I've read there are some hybrid pass rushers in late rounds; I would mind it if TT took a flyer on one or two of them either

PackerBlues
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
:shock: Thompson trades up? :whaa: Maybe u can teach an old dog new tricks. :roll:

All things considered though.......with as much value as old Ted has put on his precious draft picks..........wtf? :crazy: The guy steadfastly proclaims that Moss was stolen from him because he was only willing to cough up a 4th round pick........but this Mathews is worth trading the 9th overall pick in the 2nd round and two 3rd round picks to move up 15 spots for him and a 5th? :eyes:

Seriously........wtf?

Gunakor
04-26-2009, 10:24 AM
:shock: Thompson trades up? :whaa: Maybe u can teach an old dog new tricks. :roll:

All things considered though.......with as much value as old Ted has put on his precious draft picks..........wtf? :crazy: The guy steadfastly proclaims that Moss was stolen from him because he was only willing to cough up a 4th round pick........but this Mathews is worth trading the 9th overall pick in the 2nd round and two 3rd round picks to move up 15 spots for him and a 5th? :eyes:

Seriously........wtf?

This draft is so much less talented than other drafts. After sleeping on it, I really don't think we would find as much value in those 3 picks combined in this years draft as we have in Matthews. I really don't.

rbaloha1
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
TT is not tied to one type of thinking. The packers already possess a talented roster as opposed to 06.

TT wanted impact player. The board worked to the Packers favor. TT made the picks and selections. If we make the playoffs -- great move. Another losing season -- bad move.

Bretsky
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Seriously........wtf?

This draft is so much less talented than other drafts. After sleeping on it, I really don't think we would find as much value in those 3 picks combined in this years draft as we have in Matthews. I really don't.

The Patriots Brass would disagree with you; on the NFL Network last night they interviewed them and felt the talent difference between the late 1st and rounds 2-3 was pretty close

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
The Patriots Brass would disagree with you; on the NFL Network last night they interviewed them and felt the talent difference between the late 1st and rounds 2-3 was pretty close

That's what they said, but then today they've been trading picks like crazy. Obviously, they weren't that enamored with what is available. They're even making trades for picks next year.

wist43
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Seriously........wtf?

I agree... lot of talent in the 2-3 round range. TT tossed aside what could have been 3 very good players for Matthews.

Of course, for me, Raji makes this draft... I'm so giddy over that I'm not stewing too much over what else is happening.

To me, Raji actually gives me some hope that we might actually get somewhere eventually. Never would have guessed that TT would succumb to pressure and jump his draft board to a player at a position of need.

Big uglies like Raji are rare... and while Crabtee is a good player, there are plenty more guys like him than there are guys like Raji.

Gunakor
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Seriously........wtf?

Who picked last round really stood out to you as having comparable talent to Clay Matthews? That's where I'm coming from. IMO no 2 players taken last round compare to what Matthews could bring to this defense.

GrnBay007
04-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Of course, for me, Raji makes this draft... I'm so giddy over that I'm not stewing too much over what else is happening.

That's it!! Great things will be happening for the Packers!! Haven't seen Wist giddy over anything the last years. :shock: :D :wink:

Merlin
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Seriously........wtf?

Raji was the safe pick, Mathews, don't know anything about the guy. Didn't remember his name being repeatedly called in the games I watched USC (Ohio st., Penn St.). I think Thompson must have a hard on for the guy to trade up to get him. I think taking two players in the first round of this draft is a waste of money and draft picks. This years draft had very little in the way of stand out talent. Mathews at best was a high second round selection according to every guru I listened to so we may have given away too much.

I also agree that Thompson didn't do what one would have expected him to as far as trading up, etc. I don't buy the line that "we have a solid foundation", our guards suck, plain and simple. Tauscher is likely done which is too bad but he and Clifton, even when they are both healthy, aren't moving like they used to so taking someone to fill one of the two roles down the line is a good move, I believe Colledge will grab a nod at tackle this season with Tausher being out at least for the start of the season and probably done as a Packer. A solid "foundation" in the NFL starts with your Offensive Line, ours has been since Thompsons arrival and will this season, mediocre at best. I can only hope that someone, anyone, sticks out as the guards on this team.

Defensively, it's clear that the goal is to build a Championship type defense. New coaching staff, new scheme, etc. However we are a little thin at quality CB's so is Thompson thinking of going after a couple verteran FA's? I see injuries being the main issue in the secondary this season as it was in previous seasons with a severe lack of quality to bring in.

Overall I think outside of the Mathews trade up, this was a fairly good draft for Thompson. Mathews must be a starter and prove very quickly he was worth the move. Raji from what I have been hearing has a conditioning problem, not sure what that means, but at least he has actually played the game in the last year and with his size, he should be able to be a Gilbert Brown type DT, which would be great. I don't see Harrell in the mix and that will either be due to injury, or lack of talent. The guy just hasn't played enough football in the last 4 years.

bobblehead
04-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Merlin. Go back and check the average on how long it takes guys to become productive on the OL. Likely this year if Clifton is healthy we will have the best OL we have had since wahle left.

Remember this. Both spitz and College have done MUCH more to date than Wahle did at this point in his career.

PackerBlues
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Merlin. Go back and check the average on how long it takes guys to become productive on the OL. Likely this year if Clifton is healthy we will have the best OL we have had since wahle left.

Remember this. Both spitz and College have done MUCH more to date than Wahle did at this point in his career.

Really?

Patler
04-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Really?

Absolutely.
Going into his 4th season, Wahle was very much a question mark, who some though might be a wasted supplementary draft pick.

1998 - As a rookie Wahle sat the bench, played in only one game.
1999 - He started quite a few, but was often bailed out by Reggie McKenzie. McKenzie fought some injuries, which allowed Wahle to play more.
2000 - was supposed to be his breakout season. He started the year at left tackle, and was awful. After 6 games he was sent to the bench, having been replaced by Clifton, and was heard from no more the rest of the season.
2001 - His fourth year, some thought his chance in GB might be about done, but Verba left and Wahle was given another opportunity at LG. He was nothing more than OK that year, and was clearly considered the weak link in the O-line.

NFL.com credits Wahle with 19 starts in his 1st three seasons, and at that point he looked like a player who might be a miss as a draft pick. I felt no better about Wahle after three season than I do now about Tony Moll, who has 18 starts after three seasons. Like Moll, Wahle looked OK at times, but very overmatched at other times.

Colledge and Spitz each have over 40 starts to date, and more importantly are two of the players the Packers appear ready to build their line with. Wahle was not at that level at the same stage of his career. Both Colledge and Spitz have handled position changes within a season, and show much more versatility than Wahle did.

mraynrand
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
When you trade away picks, you place more pressure on the guy you selected working out. Shermy spent a 2 to move up to get Walker, a 2 to get Al Harris, and two 4s to get Terry Glenn - pretty mixed results. You have to believe that Thompson is expecting Matthews to play for 2 or 3 decades like the old man and his uncle. But the odds are the odds for a reason. You get a quality starter in the mid/late first round about 30-40% of the time and in rounds 2-3 it's about 10% or so lower (I can't remember the exact %), so it's risky to give up picks to move up. You have to be right.