PDA

View Full Version : Someone with ESPN Insider

packers11
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Can you please post these two post day 1 draft articles:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=4101407&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dmcshay_todd%26id%3d4101407

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=4101550&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d4101550

falco
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't that be illegal?

cpk1994
04-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't that be illegal?Only if ESPN calls you on it. But they aren't big douchebags like JSO is.

Packnut
04-26-2009, 11:59 AM
1. New York Jets: QB Mark Sanchez (No. 5 overall)
The Jets gave up a lot for Mark Sanchez (the Nos. 17 and 52 overall picks, three players), but I really like this pick for two reasons. First, Sanchez's intangibles and charisma make him a perfect fit in the big city. Second, with a good defense and a strong running game already in place, the Jets can really protect Sanchez, much like the Ravens and Falcons did with rookie QBs Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan, respectively, last season.

2. Buffalo Bills: DE/OLB Aaron Maybin (No. 11 overall)
Maybin is the best pure pass-rusher in this year's draft. The Bills can develop him properly early in his career in a rotation with Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel while he adds bulk and gets stronger versus the run.

3. Green Bay Packers: DT B.J. Raji (No. 9 overall)
The Packers are transitioning to a 3-4 defense and Raji was the only premiere nose tackle in this year's class. General manager Ted Thompson not only got the best value on the board -- which he usually does -- but he also got a player who is a perfect fit for the Packers' defensive scheme.

4. Denver Broncos: Knowshon Moreno (No. 12) and Robert Ayers (No. 18)
I questioned the Moreno pick at first, but after some investigating it became clear the Broncos were legitimately concerned that Moreno would be picked before they came back on the board. As for Ayers, he is the player I had them projected to take at No. 12 and they were ultimately able to get him at No. 18.

5. Philadelphia Eagles: RB LeSean McCoy (No. 53)
The Eagles were one of those teams that potentially could have snatched up Moreno in Round 1 and they got lucky when McCoy fell all the way to the late second round. Although he needs to get bigger and stronger, McCoy can contribute as a change-of-pace runner and receiver out of the backfield early in his career and take some of the load off Brian Westbrook's shoulders.

Five bad
NFL.com Video

The Raiders draft Darrius Heyward-Bey with the #7 overall pick in the 2009 Draft.
1. Oakland Raiders: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (No. 7)
The Raiders continue to stick to their game plan of drafting the fastest 40-yard dash times. Although Heyward-Bey should help stretch the field in the passing game, this was way too high to take a receiver with inconsistent hands and marginal route-running skills. They should have drafted either WR Michael Crabtree or taken a future starting left tackle in Eugene Monroe.

2. Oakland Raiders: S Michael Mitchell (No. 47)
Mitchell was the shock of the first day. Scouts Inc. didn't even consider him a priority rookie free agent. Although he does have some upside because of his size and athleticism, the Raiders could have easily gotten Mitchell in the fifth round. This is a classic example of not knowing the draft board.

3. San Diego Chargers: DE/OLB Larry English (No. 16)
English is a very good player and he should have success in San Diego as a versatile outside linebacker. However, I'm surprised the Chargers took him so early considering the other needs they cold have addressed, including offensive tackle.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers: DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood (No. 32)
It's hard to fault the Steelers given their recent draft history, but I thought there were better prospects available at positions they could have upgraded. I don't consider Hood a great fit as a 3-4 defensive end because he plays too high and is typically at his best on the move.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: QB Josh Freeman (No. 17)
I understand why the Bucs took Freeman, and I do think it's a good situation for him because he will have time to develop. However, Scouts Inc. had a second-round grade on him because of his questionable recognition skills and ability to read coverage. The Bucs had so many other positions to address after their offseason roster purge, which makes it hard to get on board with this pick considering they just spent a significant amount of money on the relatively young Byron Leftwich.

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998.

Packnut
04-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Four good decisions

Jets trade for No. 5 pick

NFL.com Video

The Jets make an aggressive trade with the Browns to draft USC QB Mark Sanchez.
The New York Jets made the right move trading up to the No. 5 pick to get USC quarterback Mark Sanchez. New head coach Rex Ryan was obviously happy with his defense, but felt that changes needed to be made offensively, starting with the quarterback position. The Jets took arguably the most polished quarterback of the three first-round QBs and now Ryan and Sanchez can grow together. This was an excellent start to Ryan's tenure as the head of the Jets.

Packers solidify their defense

Green Bay did a great job of improving its defense after watching its playoff hopes get dashed because it couldn't consistently make stops last season. The Packers started off their draft by drafting versatile defensive star B.J. Raji, who can play nose tackle or defensive end in their 3-4. Raji is going to be an immediate impact player for the Packers. He was one of the most productive players in college football last year and had a great Senior Bowl week.

The Packers followed that move by trading back into the first round to get USC stud linebacker Clay Matthews. They'll start him at outside linebacker and line him outside of defensive end Aaron Kampman and he'll just wreak havoc on opposing offensive lines. Matthews is the ideal 3-4 linebacker and he and Raji are going to shore up a serious weak point for the Packers.

Falcons get bargain in second round

Atlanta made a great pick in the second round with its selection of Missouri safety William Moore. This is a kid who would've been a top-10 or top-15 player if not for a foot injury that he sustained in the season opener against Illinois and a rib injury the week before the Big 12 championship. The foot injury limited him all season, but you only have to look at his numbers during his junior season to see what type of player the Falcons have picked up.

In that excellent junior season, Moore intercepted eight passes and made 115 tackles. He's a player, and he could make an immediate impact in the NFC South.

Arizona gets Beanie

The selection of Chris Wells by the Arizona Cardinals is just an example of a team making the right move at their spot in the draft. Wells is a player who could've gone as high as No. 14 to the New Orleans Saints, but he fell to the Cardinals, and they gladly took him. They'll rotate him with second-year running back Tim Hightower, who had a good rookie season catching the ball and as a goal-line back, but gained only 2.8 yards per carry. Wells has great size and excellent game-breaking ability and will be able to break those big plays that the Cardinals didn't get a lot of from the running game last season.

Four poor decisions

Why Heyward-Bey at No. 7?

I'm still shaking my head over the Oakland Raiders' selection of wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey with the No. 7 pick, with Michael Crabtree still available. If the Raiders really weren't sold on Crabtree despite his excellent collegiate career, then why not trade out of the spot and get Heyward-Bey later and get some value for that pick? There had to be a team that would have switched with them and given Oakland something for that pick. Heyward-Bey could turn out to be an excellent receiver, but the Raiders made a mistake not getting value for the pick and taking him later.

Bucs didn't need to trade

On the other hand, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers made the opposite mistake by trading up to get Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman. Evidently, the Bucs made this trade to make sure that Denver didn't take Freeman, but everything pointed toward the Broncos taking a defensive player at No. 18 (which they did by selecting Robert Ayers). I'm not sure why the Bucs' organization didn't listen to the draft buzz and stay where they were to select Freeman at No. 17.

Oakland strikes again

As bad as the Heyward-Bey selection was, at least I understand what the Raiders may have been thinking since he does have a great deal of speed and they have a strong-armed quarterback in JaMarcus Russell. But the Raiders' second-round selection of safety Michael Mitchell is completely baffling to me. I had Mitchell as a potential undrafted free agent who might get picked up after the draft. For the Raiders to take him in the second round when better safeties like William Moore and Darcel McBath were available is simply stunning.

New England doesn't address linebacker need

Normally the New England Patriots are praised for their selections and moves on draft day, but despite having four second-round picks, the Patriots didn't select an outside linebacker when the team sorely needs one. They had an opportunity to select Clay Matthews in the first round, but traded out of the spot and then never addressed the position. In the second round, they also passed on Connor Barwin, Clint Sintim and Cody Brown. Those are some pretty good prospects who might have helped the Patriots' aging corps of 'backers. Also, I was very surprised the team passed on running back Donald Brown, who could have been an excellent fit in this offense.

Gunakor
04-26-2009, 12:04 PM
The Packers will not be lining him up next to defensive end Aaron Kampman. They'll be lining him up opposite outside linebacker Aaron Kampman. Wonder if they got that message yet.

packers11
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
packnut thank you :glug:

Packnut
04-26-2009, 12:30 PM
packnut thank you :glug:

Your Welcome

Lurker64
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Could someone post Kiper and McShay's draft grades? These are always funny to read three years from now.

Kiper (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=4103819&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d4103819)

McShay AFC (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4102620&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4102620 )

McShay NFC (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4102619&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4102619 )

Joemailman
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Mel gives the Pack An A. Championship! :D :wow: :cow:

Dabaddestbear
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Could someone post Kiper and McShay's draft grades? These are always funny to read three years from now.

Kiper (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=4103819&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d4103819)

McShay AFC (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4102620&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4102620 )

McShay NFC (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4102619&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4102619 )

Kiper:
New England Patriots: GRADE: B+
You have to give the Patriots credit for acquiring even more picks for next year's draft. Safety Patrick Chung, defensive tackle Ron Brace and cornerback Darius Butler were all good selections in the second round, although offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer was a reach. Wide receiver Brandon Tate was a decent third-round pick and I really like the sixth-round selection of Jacob Ingram, the best long snapper in the draft.

San Francisco 49ers: GRADE: B+
Obviously the 49ers hit the jackpot with wide receiver Michael Crabtree falling to them at No. 10. Running back Glen Coffee gives the 49ers a nice one-two punch with Frank Gore. Getting inside linebacker Scott McKillop in the fifth round was a steal. Bear Pascoe is one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft, and the two LSU kids (Curtis Taylor and Ricky Jean-Francois) were great pickups in the seventh round.

Atlanta Falcons: GRADE: B
The Falcons did a good job early with the Peria Jerry pick in the first round and the selection of safety William Moore in the second. I really like the Moore pick because if he is able to get healthy, he could be one of the top steals of this draft. He has a tremendous amount of talent and could be a superstar for this franchise. Overall, the Falcons did a nice job for the second year in a row.

2009 Draft: Ravens No. 23 pick

NFL.com Video

The Ravens swap with the Patriots to take OT Michael Oher with the No. 23 pick.
Baltimore Ravens: GRADE: B
First-round selection Michael Oher gives this team great flexibility on the offensive line because he can play right or left tackle for the Ravens. Second-round pick Paul Kruger has the ability to play immediately in this league and may push for ample playing time. Also, Lardarius Webb is a little light at around 180 pounds, but with the help of an experienced safety to support him, he can definitely play cornerback in this league. I love the fifth-round selection of inside linebacker Jason Phillips. He's going to fit in very well with this talented group of linebackers.

Chicago Bears: GRADE: B
I think Jarron Gilbert is one of the steals of the draft. Wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias was a good pick, as were cornerback D.J. Moore and wide receiver Johnny Knox. Seventh-round pick Derek Kinder could turn out to be quite a sleeper if he's able to return to his strong level of play before his injury a couple of years ago.

Cincinnati Bengals: GRADE: B
The Bengals had a lot of picks and they did a good job getting good quality with their quantity. Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson are great ways to start a draft for any team. These guys could fill big holes for the Bengals. The fourth-round selection of offensive lineman Jonathan Luigs was a little high, but it wasn't crazy. The late-round picks weren't anything to write home about, but they did a good job of getting strength in numbers and getting some depth for their team.

New York Giants: GRADE: B
The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.

Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B
First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed. Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round. Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

NFL.com Video

The Seahawks select Aaron Curry with the No. 4 pick in the 2009 draft.
Seattle Seahawks: GRADE: B
The Seahawks passed on Sanchez to get Aaron Curry, and while I don't agree with the pick, it's not a bad pick for the Hawks, especially since Curry was the No. 1 player on my board. Max Unger is an excellent fit for this offensive line and wide receiver Deon Butler reminds me of Bobby Engram. I don't understand the Mike Teel pick in the sixth round because there were better quarterbacks out there, but the selection of safety Courtney Greene in the seventh round was a great selection.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: GRADE: B
The Bucs could've stayed where they were and still gotten Josh Freeman, so I don't understand the decision to trade up for him. He has a lot of upside, but he's a risk/reward type of player because he isn't as polished as some of the other top quarterbacks in this draft. The Bucs made some very solid picks throughout the draft, including defensive end Kyle Moore in the fourth round and wide receiver Sammie Stroughter in the final round.

Cleveland Browns: GRADE: B-
Alex Mack was a good pick at No. 21 and Mohamed Massaquoi was a very good pickup in the second round. I think fellow second-rounder David Veikune was a bit of a reach in that round, but not enough of one to seriously dent the Browns' grade. They didn't get a great receiver in Brian Robiskie in the second round, but he's polished enough as a rookie that he could be a solid possession guy for this franchise.

Detroit Lions: GRADE: B-
Matthew Stafford was what this team needed, but fellow first-rounder Brandon Pettigrew was a reach at No. 21. Third-round pick DeAndre Levy was a little bit of a reach, but a good pick. Selecting Derrick Williams in the third round was a good move. The best late-round pick for this team was seventh-rounder Zach Follett out of California. The Lions should've gotten a left tackle at some point since that is an obvious need right now, particularly with their current quarterback situation.

2009 Draft: Eagles No. 19 pick

NFL.com Video

The Philadelphia Eagles draft WR Jeremy Maclin with the 19th pick in the 2009 draft.
Philadelphia Eagles: GRADE: B-
Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin was a good pick, but he needs to work on his route running to be a consistent threat in the NFL. Running back LeSean McCoy was a good selection in the second round and so was tight end Cornelius Ingram in the fifth round. The fifth round was a good round for the Eagles, who also picked up cornerback Victor Harris and offensive tackle Fenuki Tupou.

Indianapolis Colts: GRADE: C+
Donald Brown is a good player but kind of a luxury pick, which isn't a knock on it because running back Joseph Addai has had some injury issues as of late. Fili Moala and Jerraud Powers were taken a little high, though. Terrance Taylor is a good pick in the fourth round because he could jump into the Colts' rotation.

Jacksonville Jaguars: GRADE: C+
I understand the Jaguars felt that offensive line was a need, but I felt picking Eben Britton that early in the second round was a reach, but not nearly as big of a reach as cornerback Derek Cox in the third round. The selections of Mike Thomas and Jarrett Dillard in the fourth and fifth rounds were good ones and I really like the seventh-round selections of Rashad Jennings and Tiquan Underwood. Honestly, the late-round selections are what saved the Jaguars' grade.

Minnesota Vikings: GRADE: C+
If they can keep wide receiver Percy Harvin focused and maximize his potential, then taking him at No. 22 could end up being a good selection. The only problem is the fact that he has some character question marks surrounding him, but there's no questioning his talent. Third-round selection Asher Allen is a good pick, inside linebacker Jasper Brinkley could be a good fit and seventh-rounder Jamarca Sanford is a good player.

Tennessee Titans: GRADE: C+
Wide receiver Kenny Britt was a good selection in the first round. Defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks was a bit overhyped, but he wasn't a bad reach at No. 62. I love the selection of tight end Jared Cook. Troy Kropog was a little bit of a reach in the fourth round, but he was a good player at Tulane.

Washington Redskins: GRADE: C+
Brian Orakpo fell into their laps and he gives them the pass-rushing presence they haven't had since Dexter Manley. Kevin Barnes is a decent third-round pick. Robert Henson is a decent late-round pick at linebacker.

Carolina Panthers: GRADE: C
They gave up next year's first-round pick to get Florida State defensive end Everette Brown, which I really don't like. Brown is a fine player and could make an impact for this team, but I believe that a first-round pick is too steep a price to pay. None of the players they selected in this draft have great potential. Sherrod Martin and Corvey Irvin have the ability to be starters in this league and running back Mike Goodson could be a situational back, but none of the Panthers' picks really stand out.

Denver Broncos: GRADE: C
Knowshon Moreno is a good running back and Robert Ayers has excellent ability. Alphonso Smith was one of my favorite defensive players to watch in college, but I don't agree with trading a future No. 1 pick for the rights to pick him. Richard Quinn was selected a little too high for a one-dimensional blocking tight end. David Bruton is an OK player and so is Seth Olsen.

New Orleans Saints: GRADE: C
First-round selection Malcolm Jenkins is a good player. Fourth-round safety Chip Vaughn is a solid player and had some great workouts. He looks great on paper, as does fellow fourth-rounder Stanley Arnoux, the inside linebacker from Wake Forest. The only player out of the four the Saints selected who will be a difference-maker is Jenkins.

St. Louis Rams: GRADE: C
If I were the Rams, I would have taken Mark Sanchez at the No. 2 spot, but I do like offensive tackle Jason Smith. Inside linebacker James Laurinaitis was a good selection in the second round. Cornerback Bradley Fletcher would've gone higher if he had better speed. There were better quarterbacks available in the sixth round, when they took Keith Null.

San Diego Chargers: GRADE: C+
The selection of linebacker Larry English at No. 16 was a little high, but he fills a potential need for them and he's a good player. Guards Louis Vasquez and Tyronne Green were good selections in the third and fourth rounds. Defensive tackle Vaughn Martin was a bit of a reach in the fourth round because he played in Canada against a lower level of competition. The late-round picks of running back Gartrell Johnson, cornerback Brandon Hughes, safety Kevin Ellison and wide receiver Demetrius Byrd were all good picks.

Kansas City Chiefs: GRADE: C-
Linebacker Tyson Jackson is a very good football player, but he was a reach at the No. 3 spot. This team focused on shoring up the defense early, and selecting defensive tackle Alex Magee in the third round will help. I do like the selection of offensive tackle Colin Brown in the fifth round, but the rest of the late-round picks didn't really do anything for me. I saw a couple of reaches in those late rounds that definitely didn't help the grade.

Miami Dolphins: GRADE: C-
Cornerback Vontae Davis is a risk/reward type of player. Pat White has to play receiver to have value where they picked him (No. 44 overall). Defensive back Sean Smith was a good second selection, but third-rounder Patrick Turner was a major reach. With the exception of safety Chris Clemons in the fifth round, the rest of the late-round picks weren't very impressive.

Dallas Cowboys: GRADE: D
The Big D gets a D this year. They didn't get a lot of top-end talent due in part to their not having a pick until the third round, but they then went out and reached on Jason Williams and Robert Brewster. Victor Butler is a decent pick, as is Brandon Williams, but I'm not enamored with any of their later picks. They got players that could help them in terms of depth, but no one who is going to really strengthen this football team.

Oakland Raiders: GRADE D
Oakland's draft was a head-scratcher. The Raiders took wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey at No. 7 even though Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin were still on the board, but the biggest reach of their draft and of the entire draft was the second-round selection of safety Michael Mitchell. This kid was thought to be a seventh-round pick at best and possibly an undrafted free agent, and the Raiders pulled the ultimate reach by taking him in the second round.

I just want to say that my issues with those two picks have nothing to do with those players. Congrats to them for getting picked and obviously having the talent to make it to the NFL. My issue is that these weren't good value picks for the organization. The Raiders could have gotten more value from the No. 7 pick and definitely more value from the No. 47 pick, and that's why I believe they made a mistake. The only reason Oakland didn't receive an F is because they did get some players.

Dabaddestbear
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM

AFC East

Buffalo Bills
2009 draft class
Best pick: DE/OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State (first round, No. 11 overall)
Worst pick: C Eric Wood, Louisville (first round, No.28 overall)
Bottom line: On paper, this is one of the best drafts of 2009. I would have liked to see them take an OT with one of their two first-round picks. Wood was a bit of a reach late in the first, but he and G Andrew Levitre will ultimately become starters and boost what was the weakest area of the team entering the draft. Buffalo's second-biggest priority was to upgrade its pass rush, and that goal was accomplished by selecting Maybin, who is the best pure edge rusher in this class. Maybin will play in a rotation with Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel early on and will have time to get bigger and stronger. And watch out for TE Shawn Nelson, who could turn into a late-round steal.

Miami Dolphins
2009 draft class
Best pick: CB Sean Smith, Utah (second round, No. 61 overall)
Worst pick: WR Patrick Turner, USC (third round, No. 87 overall)
Bottom line: I was surprised that Miami's draft seemed to veer from a typical Bill Parcells draft. The Dolphins loaded up on needs at WR and DB. CB Vontae Davis could be a stud or he could be a bust due to poor technique and a marginal work ethic. QB/WR Pat White is intriguing because of his athleticism and potential to contribute in the Wildcat, but there were better options if Miami was looking for someone to line up opposite Ted Ginn Jr. at that point (and no, Turner is not one of them). I think Davis and Smith can be coached well and will upgrade the secondary significantly over time, and both will be good players in that system.

New England Patriots
2009 draft class
Best pick: CB Darius Butler, Connecticut (second round, No. 41 overall)
Worst pick: OG Richard Ohrnberger, Penn State (fourth round, No. 123 overall)
Bottom line: Bill Belichick, as usual, was trading at a dizzying pace and ended up with a bunch of versatile players, a handful of whom should find a way to contribute immediately. S Patrick Chung is a hard hitter who can be protected in coverage in New England's scheme, while Butler is a phenomenal athlete, but it will be interesting to see if his lack of toughness becomes an issue for Belichick. Other potential contributors include Ron Brace, a two-gap DT, Sebastian Vollmer, the draft's most underrated OT, and WR Brandon Tate, who has the ability to return kicks and can contribute as a sub WR and on special teams.

New York Jets
2009 draft class
Best pick: QB Mark Sanchez, USC (first round, No. 5 overall)
Worst pick: OG Matthew Slauson, Nebraska (sixth round, No. 193 overall)
Bottom line: I applaud the Jets' aggressive mindset. Sanchez might not be ready right away, but he fits here, has the mentality to handle New York, and the Jets have the right philosophy in place to protect him with a solid running game and a good defense no matter when he starts. Sanchez comes from a similar system and understands his role in that philosophy. There's not much else to this draft with just the three picks, but RB Shonn Greene provides insurance and protection for a group of running backs who might not be there long term.

To see which other AFC teams reached for picks and which players were the best values, become an ESPN Insider today. Insider

AFC West

Denver Broncos
2009 draft class
Best pick: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee (first round, No. 18)
Worst pick: TE Richard Quinn, North Carolina (third round, No. 64)
Bottom line: The biggest issue with Denver's draft was the decision to trade next year's first-round pick for CB Alphonso Smith, even though Smith will develop into a quality starter. The Broncos drafted some good players who will fit their system. RB Knowshon Moreno and Ayers will start immediately and Smith could play as a No. 3 corner. Darcel McBath also could develop into a quality No. 3 corner eventually.

Kansas City Chiefs
2009 draft class
Best pick: DT Alex Magee, Purdue (third round, No. 67 overall)
Worst pick: CB Donald Washington, Ohio State (fourth round, No. 102 overall)
Bottom line: Obviously, the best player will be Tyson Jackson, but it's hard to stamp the third-overall pick as the best. Magee provided better value, but Jackson should fit perfectly as a 5-technique (a defensive end that lines up outside of the offensive tackle) in the Chiefs' 3-4 defense. Still, by no means do I think he's the next Richard Seymour, as he was touted in the days leading up to the draft. Magee typically has been better on the move, but he has the size, quickness and power to develop into a contributor on the defensive front. He has a quick first step and will help as an interior pass-rusher on certain downs. Washington, however, was nothing more than a height/weight/speed pick who excelled at the combine but has never come close to reaching his potential in college. OT Colin Brown has some upside, but I'm not sure he'll ever develop into a good starter and there were better linemen on the board when K.C. drafted Brown. It was an uninspiring first draft for Scott Pioli, and I'm sure Chiefs fans expected more.

Oakland Raiders
2009 draft class
Best pick: WR Louis Murphy, Florida (fourth round, No. 124 overall)
Worst pick: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland (first round, No. 7 overall)
Bottom line: The Raiders obviously march to a different drummer. They found speed in Heyward-Bey and they think he can provide the vertical element that Al Davis always wants in his offense and can take advantage of QB JaMarcus Russell's rare ability to drive the ball downfield. But the thing is, Oakland is going to have to pay big money to Heyward-Bey, who might not even be a No. 2 receiver.

San Diego Chargers
2009 draft class
Best pick: G Tyronne Green, Auburn (fourth round, No. 133 overall)
Worst pick: DT Vaughn Martin, Western Ontario (fourth round, No. 113 overall)
Bottom line: It's hard to knock the pick of DE Larry English at No. 16 overall because I think he is a good all-around player who will help the Chargers in the long term. However, San Diego's Super Bowl window is closing quickly and drafting English at arguably their deepest position -- assuming Shawne Merriman returns to health -- does nothing to upgrade the team in the short term. The Chargers needed an impact player at ILB or a physical presence at RT, and after passing on those needs in the first round they were left to wait until the third round for their next pick. Martin has upside thanks to his combination of size and athleticism but it won't surprise me if he's not on their 53-man roster this fall. The only really good news for San Diego is that Green and Louis Vasquez will beef up the interior of the offensive line now and in the future.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens
2009 draft class
Best pick: DE/OLB Paul Kruger (second round, No. 57 overall)
Worst pick: TE Davon Drew, East Carolina (fifth round, No. 149 overall)
Bottom line: I was a little surprised to see the Ravens move up to No. 23 overall to take OT Michael Oher, but whether you agree with the move or not there is no denying they got one of the most physically gifted tackles in this year's class. If Baltimore can motivate Oher to play to his potential he should become the long-term answer opposite Jared Gaither. There is not much flash in the rest of the draft, but Kruger is a good fit given his versatility, and CB Ladarius Webb and his elite speed were good pickups in the third round. The only real concerns about this group are questions about Oher's work ethic and Webb's past off-the-field issues.

Cincinnati Bengals
2009 draft class
Best pick: ILB Rey Maualuga, USC (second round, No. 38 overall)
Worst pick: RB Bernard Scott, Abilene Christian (sixth round, No. 209 overall)
Bottom line: The only issue I have with this draft is that the Bengals continue to put themselves in jeopardy from a character standpoint. While the immaturity of OT Andre Smith and past off-the-field incidents for Maualuga can be overlooked, why on earth would Cincinnati draft Scott in the sixth round? He has bounced around to four different colleges and has reportedly been arrested at least five times since high school. Still, you could make an argument that this is the best top-to-bottom group in the draft. Smith could solidify the offensive line, while Maualuga and DE Michael Johnson could thrive under the tutelage of head coach Marvin Lewis. If Maualuga can become more consistent and Johnson can be motivated to reach his considerable potential, they will become very good NFL players. Other great values include TE Chase Coffman in the third round and C Jonathan Luigs in the fourth, both of whom should become starters in the next few years.

Cleveland Browns
2009 draft class
Best pick: WR Mohamed Massaquoi, Georgia (second round, No. 50 overall)
Worst pick: WR Brian Robiskie, Ohio State (second round, No. 36 overall)
Bottom line: While teams don't usually like to take centers so early in the first round, it's unlikely Alex Mack would have been off the board in the next few picks had the Browns not traded up to No. 21 overall to get him. You can't fault them for bringing Mack into the fold, but they had other priority needs, including wide receiver and a pass-rush upgrade that could have been addressed there. Cleveland got its receivers in the next round, though I think Robiskie was a reach because he likely won't turn into anything more than a possession-type No. 3 receiver. I expect Massaquoi to emerge as the bigger playmaker of the two. I also liked the way the Browns hunkered down on Day 2 and found versatile, instinctive playmakers like DE David Veikune, LB Kaluka Maiava and DBs Don Carey and Coye Francies.

Pittsburgh Steelers
2009 draft class
Best pick: G Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin (third round, No. 79 overall)
Worst pick: DT Evander Hood, Missouri (first round, No. 32 overall)
Bottom line: The Steelers traded out of the second round and got value in the third round in what is a comparatively lean overall class. Urbik is a big, tough guard who fits the classic Steelers mold and will bolster the interior of the offensive line. Hood has some versatility and can fit as an end in Pittsburgh's 3-4 front, but he tends to play high and I'm not sure he's ideally suited to taking on blockers. WR Mike Wallace and CB Keenan Lewis could develop into solid role players, and CB Joe Burnett could be the diamond in the rough in this group.

AFC South

Houston Texans
2009 draft class
Best pick: TE James Casey, Rice (fifth round, No. 152 overall)
Worst pick: S Glover Quin, New Mexico (fourth round, No. 112 overall)
Bottom line:The Texans targeted their needs early and were able to find two potential starters in LB Brian Cushing and DE Connor Barwin. Cushing should start right away as the Sam linebacker, while Barwin is a developmental prospect with great measurables and potential off the edge. I also like C Antoine Caldwell in the third round. He could start at center or guard. This draft is solid from top to bottom. There's nothing spectacular about it, but the Texans accomplished what they set out to do. The one downside is that Quin was a reach. Houston will not get the production at safety they would hope for from Quin and could have gone another direction at that point.

Indianapolis Colts
2009 draft class
Best pick: RB Donald Brown, Connecticut (first round, No. 27 overall)
Worst pick: DT Fili Moala, USC (second round, No. 56 overall)
Bottom line: For the most part, the Colts got good values with each pick, including Moala, who was projected to go where Indy took him. The issue with him is that he appears to be a better two-gap player and doesn't have the explosive one-gap upfield burst the Colts generally look for. Brown gives them another versatile back who should excel in that scheme. Jerraud Powers is an underrated cover corner who plays bigger than his size (he's 5-foot-9) and has good instincts for Indy's Cover 2 heavy system. Even though WR appeared to be a bigger need and would be addressed before the fourth round, Austin Collie has the potential to develop into a solid No. 3 wideout, which in theory the Colts could live with long term.

Jacksonville Jaguars
2009 draft class
Best pick: WR Mike Thomas, Arizona (fourth round, No. 107 overall)
Worst pick: DT Terrance Knighton (third round, No. 72 overall)
Bottom line: Lots of highs and lows here. The Jaguars nailed their first two picks. OT Eugene Monroe was the best tackle on the board at No. 8 overall, and I like the fact that instead of going with the sexy pick of Michael Crabtree in the first round the Jags got back to Jack Del Rio football by bolstering the line and building from the inside out. Monroe should be a solid starter and OT Eben Britton, a second-round pick, can develop into a starter at RT. Neither Knighton nor CB Derek Cox were worthy of third-round picks, but Jacksonville bounced back with a potential steal in wide receivers Thomas, who also possesses return skills, and Jarett Dillard, who should put his leaping ability and solid hand-eye coordination to use as a subpackage WR.

Tennessee Titans
2009 draft class
Best pick: TE Jared Cook, South Carolina (third round, No. 89 overall)
Worst pick: CB Ryan Mouton, Hawaii (third round, No. 94 overall)
Bottom line: The Titans finally addressed a big hole at wide receiver by taking Kenny Britt at No. 30 overall, giving themselves a big, physical wideout with strong hands who is NFL-ready right now. He fell to the bottom of the first round because he does not have exceptional top-end speed and his attitude will need to be monitored, but Britt will combine with Cook to give Tennessee a more wide-open passing game. DT Sen'Derrick Marks might be most effective in a rotation but was worth a second-round pick if he proves capable of disrupting things in the middle. Mouton is the only issue here because I felt there were more proven commodities available at that point, including Rashad Johnson and Keenan Lewis.

Dabaddestbear
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
2009 draft class
Best pick: DE Brandon Williams, Texas Tech (fourth round, No. 120 overall)
Worst pick: OLB Jason Williams, Western Illinois (third round, No. 69)
Bottom line: When looking at Dallas' 2009 draft you have to consider WR Roy Williams, whom the Cowboys traded first-, third- and sixth-rounders to acquire during the 2008 season. His production is not great, but he is their primary receiver. In addition, the Cowboys traded out of the first day and failed to find any players who will make an impact in the future. Stephen McGee is a developmental quarterback who could turn into a good No. 2. Victor Butler is a nice situational pass-rusher, DeAngelo Smith can be a No. 3 or No. 4 corner, Michael Hamlin projects as an in-the-box safety, Jason Williams is a much better athlete than football player and Robert Brewster is big, but lacks toughness so we don't envision him as anything more than a backup in the NFL.

New York Giants
2009 draft class
Best pick: WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina (first round, No. 29 overall)
Worst pick: OT William Beatty, Connecticut (second round, No. 60 overall)
Bottom line: Considering that the Giants were, for the most part, drafting near the bottom of each round, they cleaned house a little bit. They got a potential No. 2 WR in Hakeem Nicks, upgraded their pass rush with OLB Clint Sintim, and TE Travis Beckum and RB Andre Brown could develop into midround steals in time. New York took Beatty about where we projected him, but he is a finesse player who has not played to his potential, and who just doesn't seem to have the same crafty, hardworking attitude the Giants value up front.

Philadelphia Eagles
2009 draft class
Best pick: RB LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh (second round, No. 53 overall)
Worst pick: OT Fenuki Tupou, Oregon (fifth round, No. 159 overall)
Bottom line: On paper, the Eagles appear to have one of best classes of 2009. Granted, Jeremy Maclin has a lot of developing to do as a route-runner, but his RAC skills project perfectly in Philadelphia's West Coast offense and should be able to at least help as a No. 3 wideout and return man this year. McCoy is the best pass-catching back in this draft and should pay dividends by initially taking the load off Brian Westbrook. Long term, McCoy should develop into the full-time starter two or three years down the road. TE Cornelius Ingram was a steal in the fifth round as was WR Brandon Gibson in the sixth.

Washington Redskins
2009 draft class
Best pick: DE Brian Orakpo, Texas (first round, No. 13 overall)
Worst pick: OLB Cody Glenn, Nebraska (fifth round, No. 158 overall)
Bottom line: It looked for a while as though the Redskins would land QB Mark Sanchez, but after failing to do so, they are now left doing damage control with returning starting QB Jason Campbell. The good news is Washington's first two picks -- its only two in the first four rounds -- should both become good starters. Orakpo fits better as a 4-3 defensive end and should help immediately upgrade the Redskins' feeble pass rush. CB Kevin Barnes is an underrated corner who, when healthy, shows the potential to develop into a good starter.

To find out which teams did well and which teams made some questionable decisions, become an insider today to read Todd McShay's breakdown of the rest of the NFC's draft classes.

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals
2009 draft class
Best pick: RB Chris Wells, Ohio State (first round, No. 31 overall)
Worst pick: OLB Cody Brown, Connecticut (second round, No. 63 overall)
Bottom line: There's something to be said for the Cardinals drafting at the bottom of the round, and they handled the uncharted territory like veterans. Arizona cashed in on Beanie Wells, who fell to them at No. 31, which minimizes his durability risk because he doesn't cost as much to sign. Brown is a bit of a reach, but he fits as a rush LB and could potentially help upgrade the Cardinals' pass rush, or at least add some depth. The best value pick was S Rashad Johnson, who the Cards snagged in the third round. Johnson is an instinctive ball hawk, and it won't surprise me if he starts in a nickel role in Week 1.

San Francisco 49ers
2009 draft class
Best pick: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (first round, No. 10 overall)
Worst pick: ILB Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh (fifth round, No. 146 overall)
Bottom line: While San Francisco would have liked to address needs on the offensive or defensive fronts with its first pick, it's impossible to fault the 49ers for taking in Crabtree, one of the top three players in this year's draft who fell to them at No. 10. Making it an even better decision is any concerns about Crabtree's character or how he interviewed leading up to the draft should be erased with Mike Singletary at coach. While the QB situation in San Francisco is less than ideal, Crabtree will allow the 49ers to see if they have the right QB in-house as he should only bring out the best in the existing signal-callers. As for Day 2, RB Glen Coffee is a good change-of-pace runner and McKillop is limited but solid versus the run and should contribute on special teams. Finally, there's nothing wrong with taking a chance on developing QB Nate Davis in Round 5.

Seattle Seahawks
2009 draft class
Best pick: LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest (first round, No. 4 overall)
Worst pick: QB Mike Teel, Rutgers (sixth round, No. 178 overall)
Bottom line: I liked Seattle's approach to its first three picks in which it simply took the best available players. Curry should immediately become the face of the defense as his versatility, toughness and leadership skills should provide an overall upgrade for this unit. Unger is a starting NFL lineman, the only thing that remains to be seen is whether it's at center, guard or tackle. While undersized, WR Deon Butler is a natural playmaker with great speed, quickness and hand-eye coordination. There are other QBs we would have taken in the sixth round other than Teel, but we're nitpicking to call this the worst pick.

St. Louis Rams
2009 draft class
Best pick: OT Jason Smith, Baylor (first round, No. 2 overall)
Worst pick: CB Bradley Fletcher, Iowa (third round, No. 66 overall)
Bottom line: The Rams made the right call drafting an OT as a replacement for Orlando Pace at LT. I also thought cashing in on James Laurinaitis at No. 35 was a good move. He should provide leadership and upgrade the range of the Rams' LB corps. After that, things fell off for St. Louis. Fletcher was the biggest reach. While he's a big, physical corner, he lacks ideal range and is not an overly instinctive playmaker, so I'm not sure he'll ever be more than another sub-package DB on a roster filled with plenty of them already.

NFC North

Chicago Bears
2009 draft class
Best pick: CB D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt (fourth round, No. 119)
Worst pick: WR Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma (third round, No. 99 overall)
Bottom line: The Bears' biggest need was finding weapons for new QB Jay Cutler, and they failed to accomplish that goal. Iglesias is, at best, a possession receiver and Johnny Knox will probably max out as a receiver in sub packages who would contribute on special teams. On the positive side, the Bears hit homers on DT Jarron Gilbert and Moore.

Detroit Lions
2009 draft class
Best pick: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State (first round, No. 20 overall)
Worst pick: OLB DeAndre Levy, Wisconsin (third round, No. 76 overall)
Bottom line: We've made it perfectly clear that we would have built up the supporting cast and taken an offensive lineman instead of putting the weight on Matthew Stafford, who is very talented but will need some time to get ready. On top of having great hands, Brandon Pettigrew is one of the top three blocking tight ends in this year's class and was a good value pick. WR Derrick Williams was worth the third-round pick. He will be a No. 3 receiver right away and is going to produce at kick returner. However, the Lions weren't able to find an offensive tackle, and we'll be surprised if Levy emerges as more than a situational cover guy and special teams player.

Green Bay Packers
2009 draft class
Best pick: DT B.J. Raji, Boston College (first round, No. 9 overall)
Worst pick: FB Quinn Johnson, LSU (fifth round, No. 145 overall)
Bottom line: It's hard to pinpoint a weakness in this draft. Raji is a perfect fit at NT as the Packers transition to a 3-4 defense, and OLB Clay Matthews gives them a player with experience in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme. OT T.J. Lang is one of the most underrated offensive linemen in this year's class and could emerge as yet another midround O-line starter for Green Bay. The Packers also took some chances in the later rounds on risk/reward players like G Jamon Meredith and CB Brandon Underwood.

Minnesota Vikings
2009 draft class
Best pick: WR Percy Harvin, Florida (first round, No. 22 overall)
Worst pick: OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (second round, No. 54 overall)
Bottom line: I really like the Vikings' approach during the draft. It's obvious Minnesota targeted Harvin after head coach Brad Childress met with him leading up to the draft. Childress has the offensive mind to utilize Harvin properly and it helps that Childress gave Harvin his stamp of approval. While there are questions about Loadholt's ability to protect the perimeter, he is a massive RT prospect who is capable of pushing for a starting job. I also think Minnesota got good values in CB Asher Allen in the third round and ILB Jasper Brinkley in the fourth.

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons
2009 draft class
Best pick: DE Lawrence Sidbury, Richmond (fourth round, No. 125 overall)
Worst pick: S William Moore, Missouri (second round, No. 55 overall)
Bottom line: Peria Jerry is a solid pick in the first round. He plays at less than 300 pounds, but is tough versus the run. He is clearly the second-best DT in this class behind B.J. Raji and fills a priority need. Atlanta then turned its focus toward the secondary with three of its next four going to DBs. CB Chris Owens (third) and CB William Middleton (fifth) are solid developmental projects, but Moore has too much bust potential for my liking. It's easy to fall in love with the size/speed combo, but I really question his instincts as a player. With Jerry and Sidbury, who is a pass-rush specialist, the Falcons improved their pass rush and that should take some pressure off their secondary moving forward.

Carolina Panthers
2009 draft class
Best pick: DE Everette Brown, FSU (second round, No. 43 overall)
Worst pick: DT Corvey Irvin, Georgia (third round, No. 93 overall)
Bottom line: Considering how little it had to work with, Carolina did a strong job. It got a first-round talent in Brown at No. 43. He should be effective but slipped because of his less-than-ideal height and top-end speed. Still, he's quick enough off the edge to make an impact as a situational rusher as a rookie. While it might have seemed like a reach to some, CB Sherrod Martin's stock was soaring leading up to the draft and it won't surprise me if by midseason he's a starter. I thought there were better options available in the third round other than Irvin, but the Panthers made up for it with the additions of RB Mike Goodson in the fourth round and talented but inconsistent OG Duke Robinson in the fifth.

New Orleans Saints
2009 draft class
Best pick: DB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State (first round, No. 14 overall)
Worst pick: ILB Stanley Arnoux, Wake Forest (fourth round, No. 118 overall)
Bottom line: The Saints were wise to avoid the temptation to take a running back in the first round, and Jenkins is a ball hawk who will get a shot to play CB but is more likely to emerge as a difference-maker at FS. Chip Vaughn can be a hard-hitting safety but New Orleans has to hope he plays with the effort he showed in 2007 rather than last season. Arnoux is a reach in the fourth round because we felt there were other LBs on the board who could have improved the defense more.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2009 draft class
Best pick: DT Roy Miller, Texas (third round, No. 81 overall)
Worst pick: QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State (first round, No. 17 overall)
Bottom line: This will be a good situation for Freeman, who has tremendous upside and will be given the opportunity to learn from the sidelines behind Byron Leftwich. Still, the Bucs purged their roster in the offseason and have a multitude of needs, and instead of addressing one in the mid-first round, they traded up two spots to reach even more for a QB with high bust potential. Time will tell, but I'm not sure the risk is worth the potential reward for this rebuilding franchise. I really like Miller in the third, however, and defensive coordinator Jim Bates is trying to get bigger and stronger. It's not the old Tampa 2 and both Miller and DE Kyle Moore project better for what Bates is looking for in his new defense.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2009, 09:40 PM
The Packers will not be lining him up next to defensive end Aaron Kampman. They'll be lining him up opposite outside linebacker Aaron Kampman. Wonder if they got that message yet.

Makes you wonder how much the whole opinion is worth.