PDA

View Full Version : Actions Speak Louder

Partial
04-26-2009, 11:05 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43749252.html

pbmax
04-27-2009, 01:23 AM
I usually find something to like in JSO coverages, but in this article Silverstein describes both tackle prospects (6'4" and 6'5" and both under 310) as exemplifying the new toughness. I may be mistaken, but that size looks about par for the course for a rookie NFL lineman that might be needed at tackle.

The new 1st round linebacker is leaner than Hawk and might be lighter than Barnett.

The only two guys who are clearly two bangers of notice are Raji and the fullback. They may all turn out this way, but you won't learn this from the article.

The one piece he unearths that IS interesting is that both O Line guys have better bench reps at 225lbs than Colledge, Spitz and Moll. I might take that as evidence of a new trend in evaluating O lineman. But I doubt its because we weren't as tough as Minnesota and Chicago.

Someone also ought to tell him that winning teams usually have better rush totals as they are running late to kill the clock. Stop giving me totals that are devoid of context.

Partial
04-27-2009, 02:22 AM
I don't understand why they only do the bench press at the combine. Bench press has so little to do with how strong a person is imo.

RashanGary
04-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Raji is the prototype brute

Lang is bigger than we're used to. He's a young guy but should play at, at least 320.

Sitton is already a big guy, should play at 320 too (both bigger than any lineman we've drafted until Lang). Last two years show they're trying to get bigger.

Matthews, according to the scout, could weight up to 270, but will probably stay around 250. the only physical thing about him right now is the way he plays, but he plays like a madman, so I'd say physical works for him

The fullback is a brute

I agree that they are physical. They are all more physical than what we're used to.

The later guys are prospects.

Guiness
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Quinn is 6'1" 249. If he has an RB body, and not an OL body, that's damn massive.

I know it was a different era, but Christian Okoye was 6'1" 250lbs, and was considered an absolute brute.

Guiness
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
And as far as passing on a dominating receiver...well, a little birdy tells me NFL GM's weren't so sold on him as the writers and public was.

Nine teams passed on Crab, including one that took a WR (ok, forget that. It was Oakland). 3 or 4 of those had a glaring need at WR, and we had the smallest need of any of the nine.

Either the foot thing scares the @#$% out of them, or they can see something we can't. Because it's not a coincidence they all passed. Not saying they're right, but saying it has to mean something.

Freak Out
04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
One would assume that Tausch is not coming back to GB considering all the tackles we have now who have good knees.

Sparkey
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
And as far as passing on a dominating receiver...well, a little birdy tells me NFL GM's weren't so sold on him as the writers and public was.

Nine teams passed on Crab, including one that took a WR (ok, forget that. It was Oakland). 3 or 4 of those had a glaring need at WR, and we had the smallest need of any of the nine.

Either the foot thing scares the @#$% out of them, or they can see something we can't. Because it's not a coincidence they all passed. Not saying they're right, but saying it has to mean something.

It could mean something, then again, it might mean nothing. In 2005, 23 teams passed on Aaron Rodgers.

Joemailman
04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Philbin was asked if Tauscher will be back, and he said "You never sat never." Thompson talked about Tauscher's situation being a "Medical situation". I think it's pretty clear he won't be back. His name is still on their roster, probably out of respect.

Guiness
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
One would assume that Tausch is not coming back to GB considering all the tackles we have now who have good knees.

Good knees and 10 starts between them.

I've got good knees. Not letting Tausch go for me. I think they keep him in their back pocket, and maybe activate him a few games in if something else doesn't really gel.