PDA

View Full Version : Jamarko Simmons - interesting prospect

packers11
04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Jamarko Simmons - 6-2/231

Why didn't this guy get more looks? I'm very intrigued by his stats, reminds me of an A.Boldin type of receiver...

Simmons wasn't drafted in any of the 7 rounds Saturday or Sunday and becomes the 4th the Bronco headed to the NFL from the 2008 team. Simmons vaulted himself even further into the spotlight after a solid Junior season.

Simmons dominated against rival Central Michigan with 118 yards on 13 catches and torched 1st round draft pick Vontae Davis at Ford Field when the Broncos knocked off Illinois.

Simmons caught 11 passes for 174 yards in that Broncos win. He had 12 100-yard receiving games in his career, including a personal best of six in 2008.

Why didn't this guy get more looks??? Character issues??? I know some of you mentioned him on the draft day thread, but i'm surprised no one used a pick on him... I'm glad we picked him up in the undrafted free agent pool...

Thoughts??? (I think he can be a real sleeper)

Highlights :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRVUWsyOop8

For some reason, his 6-foot-2, 232-pound beast-like frame, 4.5-second 40-yard dash time and record-setting production in college isn't enough to make him an elite NFL prospect

more about him here :

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2009/04/jamarko_simmons_cant_want_to_p.html

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Some of these undrafted guys that we signed are intriguing--a couple of the WRs have good size/speed ratios and were productive, but they played at small colleges. The LB is intriguing also.

red
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
this is a guy i like, another of my bronco brethren

he filled in after jennings left and even broke some of his school records

and he lit up vonte davis this year

KYPack
04-27-2009, 11:41 AM
This kid is a real good looking prospect. I really think guys like him point out that 7 rounds doesn't net all the propects. Last season. an UDFA made the pro bowl for the AFC as a return guy. (From Freso State, no less.)

Joemailman
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Sometimes these big receivers get labeled as WR/TE tweeners and slip through. That's how Shannon Sharpe and Marques Colston ended up being late round draft picks despite high production in college. This guy could have a shot.

PackerPro42
04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
He's intriguing enough. If I'm not mistaken he was converted from RB to WR. He put up a pretty solid time (4.5) and looks to be a pretty good athlete. I don't think the physical part of his game is an issue. I believe it's more of a character concern. I think he was kicked out of a nationally televised game this year for arguing with a ref, he then refused to leave the field and postponed the game for several minutes.

All the physical tools are there, but he needs to work on the attitude.

rbaloha1
04-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Recall Davonne Bess, Hawaii was undrafted. Signed with Dolphins and had the most catches of a free agent since Wayne Chrebet.

packers11
04-27-2009, 01:23 PM

that was a big wow factor... I couldn't believe the stats he had against him... Even though Stats for one game doesn't tell the whole truth, but the season he had last year was pretty damn good...

mission
04-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I think he was kicked out of a nationally televised game this year for arguing with a ref, he then refused to leave the field and postponed the game for several minutes.

Oh, so he punched a coach?

Seriously, though... Ive never seen anyone refuse to leave the field after getting kicked out. What a stupid fuck.

Hope Greg can straighten him up. This probably his last/only chance.

mraynrand
04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
He's intriguing enough. If I'm not mistaken he was converted from RB to WR. He put up a pretty solid time (4.5) and looks to be a pretty good athlete. I don't think the physical part of his game is an issue. I believe it's more of a character concern. I think he was kicked out of a nationally televised game this year for arguing with a ref, he then refused to leave the field and postponed the game for several minutes.

All the physical tools are there, but he needs to work on the attitude.

He's just fine. He will be a player.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_k3pg8z8aErU/SQqQPXC0v-I/AAAAAAAACqY/wfYFjKXGbC4/s320/Bryan+Cox+1995+Score+%23139+Auto.jpg

Chevelle2
04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
The hell??

104 catches
1276 yards
7 touchdowns

his senior year

How was he not drafted?!?!

Mazzin
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Anyone else notice that under the first video of this guy someone named TONY MISSION posted (Sleeper pick for the packers, or did i just ruin that)...it HAD to be our sweet Mr. Mission :)

Good call mission says that you posted that Three weeks before.....he wasn't picked till after the draft...but i guess you know your stuff.

mission
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Anyone else notice that under the first video of this guy someone named TONY MISSION posted (Sleeper pick for the packers, or did i just ruin that)...it HAD to be our sweet Mr. Mission :)

Good call mission says that you posted that Three weeks before.....he wasn't picked till after the draft...but i guess you know your stuff.

Haha, I completely forgot about that. Waldo brought him to my attention and I did my research from there... decided we had to have him! Plus, the whole Greg Jennings connection and how GJ was at the W.Mich pro day this year just seemed too good of a fit.

I was a little ornery when I woke up this morning (afternoon) and tough on the kid, but I'm still excited about the pick up. He could make the squad... more upside than Martin IMO.

Mazzin
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
DEFF more upside than Ruvell, although you HAVE to love Ruvells height at 6'4.

Mission I live in Savannah if I come up you going to take me to a bad ass poker game?

mission
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
DEFF more upside than Ruvell, although you HAVE to love Ruvells height at 6'4.

Mission I live in Savannah if I come up you going to take me to a bad ass poker game?

Absolutely. Bring your big stack, let's do it. :wink: :D

I've actually been in Savannah a lot lately ... one of my old clients from the A moved down there and I've used it as an excuse to get away. Beautiful city, little too "old money" for me, though ...

Mazzin
04-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Haha I hear ya...the squares are beutiful...Next time your on Riverstreet go to Wet Willies and get a call-a-cab...you will be FUCKED

Waldo
04-28-2009, 12:23 AM

that was a big wow factor... I couldn't believe the stats he had against him... Even though Stats for one game doesn't tell the whole truth, but the season he had last year was pretty damn good...

Here's general highlights from the game. Bunch of big plays by Jamarko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5DcT8bEWuY

SnakeLH2006
04-28-2009, 02:15 AM

That wows Snake too, as Snake really thinks the OSU corner is a bust, yet Vontae plays/looks the 2nd coming of Al Harris. Really liked that guy at Illinois. This Wideout may be the guy to bump off Arod's best bro off the 5th spot on the depth chart at WR. All the physical skills and stats...what's the story? Waldo?

packers11
04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43837362.html

JS wrote an article about him... Pretty good read...

He wants to play with Jennings... Do the Lambeau Leap... Be a cheesehead... I'm defiantly rooting for this guy in training camp...

rbaloha1
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Maybe adds weight and becomes a te. Lacks burst but once the ball is in his hands shows very good speed.

This dude has a chance.

cheesner
04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I think he chose the wrong team. Several teams tried to sign him, and he chose the one with the most WR depth - the Packers.

He stated that he chose the Packers because of his relationship with Jennings. And he has a lot of respect for the Packers and our traditions. He went on to say that he always dreamed of catching a TD and doing a lambeau leap, with his family there wearing cheeseheads.

He not only became my favorite FA - but one of my favorite rookies. I am going to be really rooting for this kid.

Sounds like, with the help of Jennings father, this kid has really turned things around in his life and is really focused. With an important mentor in place on the team, I am hoping he really comes through. The physical skills seem to be there.

Waldo
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I think he chose the wrong team. Several teams tried to sign him, and he chose the one with the most WR depth - the Packers.

But he also signed with the team that has the HC that values unique useful traits and designs his offense around them.

His experience in the backfield, taking handoffs (and blocking) is a very useful trait for a WR. Can you say motion man. MM uses Jory in the backfield as a blocker on run plays.

Imagine.

5 WR shot gun set at huddle break. Dime defense on the field. Jordy and Jamarko motion into the backfield. Now we can run out of the set, run a bunch of crazy screens, or pass. And the defense has darn near the worst players on the field to defend it.

I can see MM falling in love with a guy with the skill set of Jamarko, much like he did with Humphrey.

bigcoz75
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I can see MM falling in love with a guy with the skill set of Jamarko, much like he did with Humphrey.

That's exactly the roster spot I see him filling.

Joemailman
04-28-2009, 10:38 PM

But he also signed with the team that has the HC that values unique useful traits and designs his offense around them.

His experience in the backfield, taking handoffs (and blocking) is a very useful trait for a WR. Can you say motion man. MM uses Jory in the backfield as a blocker on run plays.

Imagine.

5 WR shot gun set at huddle break. Dime defense on the field. Jordy and Jamarko motion into the backfield. Now we can run out of the set, run a bunch of crazy screens, or pass. And the defense has darn near the worst players on the field to defend it.

If he's a good blocker, that's something the Packers stress with their WR's. It's part of the reason Martin is still here. Also, I seem to remember Jennings saying that one reason he picked things up quickly as a rookie was that there were a lot of similarities between the Western Michigan offense and the Packer offense. This guy is not your typical undrafted free agent.