PDA

View Full Version : Foxsports grades Packers draft C

channtheman
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9501382/Grading-every-team's-NFL-Draft

Green Bay

The Packers are coming off a disappointing 6-10 season in which their rush defense ranked 26th in the NFL. Dom Capers is installing his 3-4 defense and GM Ted Thompson went for Boston College nose tackle B.J. Raji with his first pick — he's a quicker Gilbert Brown — and then made a big trade in order to draft USC outside linebacker Clay Matthews. With their holdovers and if both of these rookies produce as expected, the Packers' front seven should be solid this season.

LSU fullback Quinn Johnson is a converted former linebacker who isn't a bad lead blocker. Late picks such as Cincinnati cornerback Brandon Underwood and Colorado linebacker Brad Jones don't figure to make the final roster. Grade: C

Chicago

GM Jerry Angelo took the draft's first day off, but that's because he made his major move weeks ago when trading for Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, a proven performer. Based on his recent results, Angelo's trade for Cutler was undoubtedly better than any players he could have taken in the draft. If Cutler leads the Bears to the playoffs, this draft was a total success.

Oklahoma receiver Juaquin Iglesais was a solid pickup with the 99th overall selection. Some teams rated him in the second round. Vanderbilt cornerback D.J. Moore is a very tough player despite his 5-9 frame. But the steal for the Bears could be San Jose State defensive end Jarron Gilbert, who was known for his You Tube video of being able to jump out of a swimming pool. Grade: B-

Detroit

OK, the fans booed the selection of Georgia QB Matthew Stafford, but the Lions loved his workouts and his big-league arm. Stafford does have some physical downside (poor footwork in the pocket), but the Lions are never going to win without a franchise quarterback. Yes, the Lions wanted to trade out of this pick, but there were no takers because of the guaranteed money ($41.7 million) involved with such a decision. The coaching staff wanted Stafford and that's good enough for me.

While the fans were still moaning about passing on defensive players, the Lions took the draft's best tight end in Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew at No. 20. He is a solid blocker. Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas was projected as the draft's top safety and he's a very aggressive tackler. I really liked the selection of Penn State receiver Derrick Williams, who can also help the kick return game. Williams was the high school player of the year in 2004.Cal linebacker Zack Follett and Nebraska offensive tackle Lydon Murtha both had super value in the seventh round. Grade: A

Minnesota

Oklahoma's Phil Loadholt is 6-8, 336 pounds. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)
The Vikings added the draft's most intriguing playmaker in Florida's Percy Harvin, who has blistering speed and quickness, but also a positive marijuana test. Still, the drug issue didn't scare off Minnesota's coaching staff. Harvin could be a special weapon, considering Minnesota has the league's best running back in Adrian Peterson.

In the second round, the Vikings took mountainous offensive tackle Phil Loadholt of Oklahoma. Big Phil is 6-8, 336 pounds. South Carolina ILB Jasper Brinkley had third-round value but slid to the fifth round. Grade: C

I just copy/pasted the other 3 North teams but I haven't yet read them. I would have to disagree with the grade that Czarnecki gave the Packers. He ignored the 2 OT's we got and just kinda shrugged off the FB and both Matthews and Raji. Then he brings up that the 6th and 7th (right?) picks might not make the roster. All around a bad evaluation, IMO.

MJZiggy
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Well thank goodness! Just when we were starting to worry that the idiot pundits liked our draft too much!

packers11
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Interesting... the team that did very little to upgrade their front 7 got an A... Lets not forget it was Detroit's D that was a big part of the 0-16 season... I think every running back had 100+ yards against the Lions (except for maybe 1-2)... I think Turner had over 200 yards...

I'd give the Lions a B/C ...

Brandon494
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Guy is an idiot, gave us a C and the Raiders a C-? :roll:

Joemailman
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't care what kind of grades the Packers get, but I don't think his reasoning is very sound. He doesn't even mention Lang, who could start at RT this year, and Meredith, who while probably a project, has potential at LT. I also think he may be wrong about Underwood. He has too much talent for the Packers to sneak him on to the practice squad.

The Shadow
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I would have to give FoxSports a D-.

red
04-27-2009, 07:07 PM
i've never even heard of the guy

BobDobbs
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I give grading drafts the day after they happen an F

channtheman
04-27-2009, 07:12 PM
i've never even heard of the guy

He's the main foxsports NFL "analyst" if you can call him that. I agree with many of you in that I don't care what grades we get but I can agree with an analysis if the reasoning and logic behind it is sound. However, he doesn't even mention the two linemen we took. And then he says the guys we drafted late might not make the team (that's why it's called a flyer, you pick a guy who might make the team but might not as well).

mission
04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Then he says that Quinn is "not a bad lead blocker" when that's clearly his biggest strength and Raji is just a quicker Gilbert Brown... well Gilbert had 7 sacks in 103 career starts.

Something tells me that Raji might end up with more than 7 sacks.

Lurker64
04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
The commentary makes sense, but the grade doesn't.

In essence the commentary said "If the first two draft picks work out like expected, the Packers front seven should be solid. The late round guys might not make the team."

The first part is a good thing, and the second thing is obvious and true of every team (how many of the 10,000 draft picks the Patriots had do you see making the roster?). I don't really see a correspondence between the grade and the analysis though.

Joemailman
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I did not think his evaluation of the Packers was fair and balanced.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
A great many draft sites had Meredith as a second round pick. Surely a 3rd round talent.

Ted drafted him because I'm sure because he wasw the BPA. Mayock at NFL network was very suprised he lasted as long as he did. Most places had him as one of the top 10 tackles in the draft.

The Fullback Johnson was a top notch FB in this draft. I think he was taken because he was the BPA. They Packers didn't need one.

Now Wynn may be a developmental guy who we won't see much of for a year or 2. The same with Underwood. Those 2 picks will determine how good this draft may eventually be.

Think what would be written if they didn't get Raji.

At least it is better than this evaluation of the Raiders draft

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009oak.php

mission
04-27-2009, 07:38 PM
A great many draft sites had Meredith as a second round pick. Surely a 3rd round talent.

Ted drafted him because I'm sure because he wasw the BPA. Mayock at NFL network was very suprised he lasted as long as he did. Most places had him as one of the top 10 tackles in the draft.

The Fullback Johnson was a top notch FB in this draft. I think he was taken because he was the BPA. They Packers didn't need one.

Now Wynn may be a developmental guy who we won't see much of for a year or 2. The same with Underwood. Those 2 picks will determine how good this draft may eventually be.

Think what would be written if they didn't get Raji.

At least it is better than this evaluation of the Raiders draft

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009oak.php

LOL dude gave their 1st pick a Z- grade

Gunakor
04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
47. Michael Mitchell, SS, Ohio....(Pick Grade: MILLEN)

:lol: :lol: