PDA

View Full Version : So, which ones (Packer vets) will be cut?

Patler
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Lots of overstocked position groups, with veterans of several seasons fighting for roster spots with drafted rookies. Injuries could make the decisions for them, but absent that, who will be the losers?

Fullback - one of Kuhn and Hall will be gone, maybe even both, if Johnson is the player he seems to be.

RB - There seems to be at least one extra between Lumpkin and Wynn, unless only one FB is kept.

O-line - (13 listed on the roster now) It won't seem right without Tauscher, and I really wanted him to leave on his terms, but it seems doubtful that there will be a roster spot for him. Lang & Meredith will stick along with Clifton, Colledge, Spitz & Sitton. That leaves three or four spots for Wells, Barbre, Giacomini, McCaskill, Moll & Preston. Can they find a trade for Wells? They seem to be high on Giacomini's potential, so I expect he makes it. They still talk-up Barbre, and a move to tackle may help him. I suspect Moll's opportunity is done, and unless he absolutely stands out in preseason his Packer career will end. Might Preston be cut?

WR - Does Ruvell Martin have a battle on his hands for the # 5 spot, or will the Packers keep a 6th from among guys like Swain, Allen, Heckendorf, Simmons, etc.

D-line - I suspect Raji will be kept :D along with Jenkins, Pickett and Jolly (if he isn't in jail), but what about Jarius Wynn? That would be 5 of perhaps as few as 6 that they might keep. NT's Bledsoe, Soi & Toribio seem to have little opportunity in GB at this point, what about DE's Malone & Montgomery? If Harrell is not healthy, might he be cut in only his third year? 11 on the roster now, 4 or 5 likely to be cut.

LB - Mathews, Barnett, Hawk, Kampman for sure, Thompson highly likely. Poppinga and Chiller would seem fairly certain, but what about draftee Brad Jones? If all are givens, and if they keep 9 or 10, that would leave 1, maybe 2 spots for Bishop, Havner, Hunter, and Lansanah.

CB - Woodson & Williams, but might Harris be traded? If not, there isn't a lot of room for Underwood, Lee, Blackmon, Bush, Porter or Abrams. Maybe just two will stick. Might Lee or Blackmon be cut? Hard to believe it would be Blackmon to go, unless another kick returner jumps out. Almost seems like there are just two spots available for Harris, Lee, and Underwood.

Safety - Collins, Bigby, but who else from among Smith, Rouse, Peprah, and again Bush? Bush's versatility(he is equally average at CB and safety) plus his ST contributions would seem to lock up a spot for him. Rouse could be gone, maybe Smith, maybe Bigby if he can't stay on the field.

Very interesting competitions lining up for training camp. More competitive than ever for roster spots. Should be very, very interesting.

ND72
04-28-2009, 09:13 AM
O-line - (13 listed on the roster now) It won't seem right without Tauscher, and I really wanted him to leave on his terms, but it seems doubtful that there will be a roster spot for him. Lang & Meredith will stick along with Clifton, Colledge, Spitz & Sitton. That leaves three or four spots for Wells, Barbre, Giacomini, McCaskill, Moll & Preston. Can they find a trade for Wells? They seem to be high on Giacomini's potential, so I expect he makes it. They still talk-up Barbre, and a move to tackle may help him. I suspect Moll's opportunity is done, and unless he absolutely stands out in preseason his Packer career will end. Might Preston be cut?

LB - Mathews, Barnett, Hawk, Kampman for sure, Thompson highly likely. Poppinga and Chiller would seem fairly certain, but what about draftee Brad Jones? If all are givens, and if they keep 9 or 10, that would leave 1, maybe 2 spots for Bishop, Havner, Hunter, and Lansanah.

CB - Woodson & Williams, but might Harris be traded? If not, there isn't a lot of room for Underwood, Lee, Blackmon, Bush, Porter or Abrams. Maybe just two will stick. Might Lee or Blackmon be cut? Hard to believe it would be Blackmon to go, unless another kick returner jumps out. Almost seems like there are just two spots available for Harris, Lee, and Underwood.

Safety - Collins, Bigby, but who else from among Smith, Rouse, Peprah, and again Bush? Bush's versatility(he is equally average at CB and safety) plus his ST contributions would seem to lock up a spot for him. Rouse could be gone, maybe Smith, maybe Bigby if he can't stay on the field.

OL - Clifton, Barbre, Lang Meredith, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Wells, Preston, & Gicomoini will make the team.

LB - Hawk, Matthews, Barnett, Kampy, Bishop, Thompson..and then I would assume you will see a fight with the rest. one thing about 3-4 teams is they traditionally keep more LB's than we're used to keeping. So if we kept those 6, plus 2-3 more, it wouldn't surprise me.

CB - Woodson, Harris, Williams, Blackmon, Lee

S - Bigby, Collins, Rouse, Smith, Underwood (I read he'll probably play safety in the NFL, but can play the role of both)

pbmax
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Is Bush's matched RFA tender guaranteed in any way before the start of the season? And wasn't it for multiple years?

Patler
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
OL - Clifton, Barbre, Lang Meredith, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Wells, Preston, & Gicomoini will make the team.

LB - Hawk, Matthews, Barnett, Kampy, Bishop, Thompson..and then I would assume you will see a fight with the rest. one thing about 3-4 teams is they traditionally keep more LB's than we're used to keeping. So if we kept those 6, plus 2-3 more, it wouldn't surprise me.

S - Bigby, Collins, Rouse, Smith, Underwood (I read he'll probably play safety in the NFL, but can play the role of both)

Certainly could happen, but 10 O-linemen is a bit heavy, and 10 DBs seems too many, although it has happened. Since they are likely to keep 9, maybe 10 LBs, it would sem 9 OL or 9 DBs at most is more likely. I will be surprised if Bush does not make the team, after what they did this off season with him. The certainly won't keep 10 DBs + Bush.

Likely minimum roster spot numbers:
3 ST -K, P, LS
5 RBs
3 QBs
8 WRs & TEs
8 OL
6 DL
8 LB
9 DB

That leaves three spots, probably a 9th OL, 7th DL and 9th LB.

Bossman641
04-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I could possibly see Rouse being cut. One thing is for sure, the overall talent level of this team has definitely grown from the past 4-5 years. Every year the battles get more competitive.

ND72
04-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Certainly could happen, but 10 O-linemen is a bit heavy, and 10 DBs seems too many, although it has happened. Since they are likely to keep 9, maybe 10 LBs, it would sem 9 OL or 9 DBs at most is more likely. I will be surprised if Bush does not make the team, after what they did this off season with him. The certainly won't keep 10 DBs + Bush.

Likely minimum roster spot numbers:
3 ST -K, P, LS
5 RBs
3 QBs
8 WRs & TEs
8 OL
6 DL
8 LB
9 DB

That leaves three spots, probably a 9th OL, 7th DL and 9th LB.

I agree with that as well. Isn't it a bitch to have too many good players? I'm sure we'll have a couple of surprising cuts. Definately like the "meat" of the team though. If our OL is solidified, and our defense brings the shit, we're in for a good year, IMO. I am hoping Kampy & Clay work out at OLB, if they do, our D is gonna be nasty to watch!

rbaloha1
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Lots of overstocked position groups, with veterans of several seasons fighting for roster spots with drafted rookies. Injuries could make the decisions for them, but absent that, who will be the losers?

Fullback - one of Kuhn and Hall will be gone, maybe even both, if Johnson is the player he seems to be.

Kuhn is gone since Hall is good on special teams.

RB - There seems to be at least one extra between Lumpkin and Wynn, unless only one FB is kept.

Between Lumpkin and Wynn. The better special teamer wins.

Wells and Moll are cut. Assuming Tauscher is gone. Its possible if Cliffy is injured and someone steps up Cliffy is cut.

WR - Does Ruvell Martin have a battle on his hands for the # 5 spot, or will the Packers keep a 6th from among guys like Swain, Allen, Heckendorf, Simmons, etc.

Martin is gone. Swain remain. The others are cut.

D-line - I suspect Raji will be kept :D along with Jenkins, Pickett and Jolly (if he isn't in jail), but what about Jarius Wynn? That would be 5 of perhaps as few as 6 that they might keep. NT's Bledsoe, Soi & Toribio seem to have little opportunity in GB at this point, what about DE's Malone & Montgomery? If Harrell is not healthy, might he be cut in only his third year? 11 on the roster now, 4 or 5 likely to be cut.

Bledsoe, Soi & Toribio, Montgomery are cut.

Poppinga or Chillar are cut. Havner, Hunter and Lansanah are fighting for a slot.

Rouse is borderline.

Very interesting competitions lining up for training camp. More competitive than ever for roster spots. Should be very, very interesting.

Possibly the deepest roster in the NFC next to the Cowboys. Expect many of the Packers cuts to be on active rosters of other teams

vince
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I think 7 is the minimum WR/TE on the 53-man, which McCarthy did in 07.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29221624.html

I think 9 is the minimum o-linemen, and 10 o-linemen this year is possible.

Here's my early stab at the 53-man depth chart.

QB - Rodgers, Flynn, Brohm
RB - Grant, Jackson, Lumpkin
FB - Johnson, Hall
WR - Jennings, Jones
WR - Driver, Nelson, Simmons
TE - Lee, Finley
T - Barbre, Giacomini
G - Sitton, Preston
C - Spitz
G - Colledge, Lang
T - Clifton, Meredith

OLB - Kampman, Thompson, Hunter
DE - Harrell, Jolly
NT - Pickett, Raji
DE - Jenkins, Malone
OLB - Matthews, Poppinga
ILB - Hawk, Bishop, Lansanah
ILB - Barnett, Chillar
CB - Woodson, Blackmon, Lee
SS - Bigby, Smith
FS - Collins, Rouse
CB - Harris, Williams, Bush

PK - Crosby
P - Brooks
LS - Goode

Practice Squad
Sutton, Brodell, Moore, Wynn, Soi, Jones, Underwood, Abrams

That would mean the following vets would be cut:
DeShawn Wynn, Kuhn, Martin, Humprhey, Moll, Wells, Kapinos, Bledsoe, Montgomery, Havner, Peprah

I've got 10 LB's and 10 DB's (and only 5 WR's and 2 TE's) because these guys are the ST demons as well.

McCarthy has repeatedly said that they lean toward keeping the best 53 and don't worry as much about how the numbers play out. I don't think the 7th DL (as of now) is as good, is as valuable to the team on Sunday, or has as much upside as either the 10th DB or LB.

Ballboy
04-28-2009, 12:42 PM
I know this comment will be laughed at but I think Clifton maybe one of our last cuts. TT & more so MM have talked about the weekly swapping out of players on the OL for various reasons including injury. Clifton is up in years and seems NEVER to be able to practice due to injury.

I suspect, even if none of these rookies really shine, TT & MM might make the tough choice to let him go to try and build a little week to week cohesion(sp?) amoung the front 5. Colledge-??-Spitz-Sitton-?? would be the front 5 today.....who would win out the remaining spots?

Lurker64
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Vince-

Did you mean to put Alfred Malone on the DE depth chart instead of Fred Bledsoe? Malone is a DE and Bledsoe is an NT. Capers is apparently high on Alfred Malone as a prospect, so I see him given every shot to make the roster.

7 DL is about the normal number that 3-4 teams keep on defense IIRC.

vince
04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Vince-

Did you mean to put Alfred Malone on the DE depth chart instead of Fred Bledsoe? Malone is a DE and Bledsoe is an NT. Capers is apparently high on Alfred Malone as a prospect, so I see him given every shot to make the roster.

7 DL is about the normal number that 3-4 teams keep on defense IIRC.
Yeah, thanks for that Lurk. I got those 2 guys mixed up. Corrected.

mraynrand
04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I know this comment will be laughed at but I think Clifton maybe one of our last cuts.

It depends. If his ceiling is the level he played at last year, he's in trouble, but you still have to have someone better or at least the same and improving to let him go. I think he is close to where KGB was last year. I didn't think KGB would make the final cut and I agree that Clifton will probably be close to getting cut. But I don't know at all where Clifton is physically, whereas there were reports out last offseason that KGB's knee was not responding...

boiga
04-28-2009, 12:51 PM
A trade is another possibility for Nick Collins if he holds out for too long or too much. His exchange value is likely peaking and Underwood might project better at safety.

Gunakor
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
A trade is another possibility for Nick Collins if he holds out for too long or too much. His exchange value is likely peaking and Underwood might project better at safety.

Collins isn't a holdout. He's skipping voluntary work. He's a holdout when he starts skipping mandatory stuff. If he starts skipping mandatory stuff, maybe. Until then, he's our starter at FS coming off of an All-Pro season. He's not at risk of being cut.

pbmax
04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I know this comment will be laughed at but I think Clifton maybe one of our last cuts. TT & more so MM have talked about the weekly swapping out of players on the OL for various reasons including injury. Clifton is up in years and seems NEVER to be able to practice due to injury.

I suspect, even if none of these rookies really shine, TT & MM might make the tough choice to let him go to try and build a little week to week cohesion(sp?) amoung the front 5. Colledge-??-Spitz-Sitton-?? would be the front 5 today.....who would win out the remaining spots?
You can still stop the musical chairs and deal with Chad needing a day or two off. If you are concerned about Colledge (and he has been steadily getting better, at this point they may not worry about him at Guard) then you leave him at LG in practice and you line up the depth chart backup at LT and practice with the second stringer. Even if on short notice (Game Day inactive or game injury) you might still slide Colledge to LT and bring in another guard because he is the sixth best O Lineman, you can still commit to not sliding everyone around at practice.

Its not like Colledge hasn't been out on the edge before and in an emergency he can go there. If you have a week's notice and Chad's unavailable, then all bets are off.

But I think McCarthy/Philbin/Campen are talking about the backups moving all around. Barbre at RG, LG and RT. Moll at RG and RT. Don't remember where Breno practiced outside of RT. If these guys need to develop faster, then they need more reps at one spot.

Look what Sitton accomplished because as a rookie he had them excited about an upgrade at RG and out of fear of him not being ready, they refused to slide him around. And, except for an injury slowing him down, he damn near made it.

pbmax
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Also about Chad, remember that McCarthy got after the offense in mid-season to pick up the tempo and intensity at practice and suddenly the guys who had a day to rest were practicing more often. That might continue.

Ballboy
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM

You can still stop the musical chairs and deal with Chad needing a day or two off. If you are concerned about Colledge (and he has been steadily getting better, at this point they may not worry about him at Guard) then you leave him at LG in practice and you line up the depth chart backup at LT and practice with the second stringer. Even if on short notice (Game Day inactive or game injury) you might still slide Colledge to LT and bring in another guard because he is the sixth best O Lineman, you can still commit to not sliding everyone around at practice.

Its not like Colledge hasn't been out on the edge before and in an emergency he can go there. If you have a week's notice and Chad's unavailable, then all bets are off.

But I think McCarthy/Philbin/Campen are talking about the backups moving all around. Barbre at RG, LG and RT. Moll at RG and RT. Don't remember where Breno practiced outside of RT. If these guys need to develop faster, then they need more reps at one spot.

Look what Sitton accomplished because as a rookie he had them excited about an upgrade at RG and out of fear of him not being ready, they refused to slide him around. And, except for an injury slowing him down, he damn near made it.

I was figuring that College would be LT, ?? at left guard, Spitz at center, Sitton at RG and then ?? at right tackle. I don't think you can line up backups at LT as that is the most important position on the line, that is why my thought is to put College their all the time. Clifton missing practice doesn't allow for the unit to work together in the "timing" of the ZBS.

rbaloha1
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Trading Collins is a mistake. Big time playmaker must remain a Packer.

Lurker64
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
The whole Collins issue is a nonstory at this point. The following facts are apparent:

1) Collins is not attending a voluntary workout as is his right as an NFL player.
2) Collins is thinking about signing a new contract, because his is set to expire after this year.

People are just inferring things that I don't think they can reasonably infer at this point.

Patler
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I think 7 is the minimum WR/TE on the 53-man, which McCarthy did in 07.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29221624.html

Could be, but I don't think that is typical situation for a team that relies on passing as much as the Packers do. In 2007 the Packers didn't have real good depth yet in that area. To get to 7 they had to keep both Martin (who wasn't as good then) and Holiday. To keep an 8th would have really been scratching the bottom. They protected themselves by immediately signing 2 TEs, (Ryan Krause and Clark Harris) and 2 WRs (Clowney and Francis) to the practice squad. The only TE/WRs not kept in one way or another from the final 73 were Zac Alcorn, Shaun Bodiford, and Calvin Russell, and Bodiford was re-signed later.

Joemailman
04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
OL: Tauscher and Moll are gone; Wells is iffy.

RB: Lumpkin-Seems undrafted RB's who look good one year never make it the next year.

TE: Humphrey

DL: Montgomery

LB: Lansanah

S: Peprah

Gunakor
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
RB: Lumpkin-Seems undrafted RB's who look good one year never make it the next year.

How about 7th round RB's who don't even look good one year?

I think Wynn is gone. I like Lumpkin, so long as he's recovered from last year's injury.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I think Wynn is gone. I like Lumpkin, so long as he's recovered from last year's injury.

Lumpkin showed me more in his brief playing time than Wynn has, but the coaches seem something in Wynn. Should be a good battle. Don't count out another player ends up being the #3 RB--perhaps Sutton or somebody that becomes available after final cuts,

CaliforniaCheez
04-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Saftey-(4) Bigby, Rouse, Collins, Bush

CB- (6) Woodson, Harris, Williams, Lee, Underwood, Blackmon

LB- (8) Kampmann, Hawk, Matthews, Poppinga, Chiller, Bishop, Barnett, Hunter

DE- (5) Jolly, Jenkins, Montgomery, Harrell, Wynn,

NT-(2) Pickett, Raji

T- (5) Barbre, Clifton, Merideth, Lang, Moll

G- (3) Colledge, Spitz, Sitton

C- (1) Wells

TE- (3) Lee, Finley, Moore

WR- (5) Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Martin

QB- (3) Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn

RB- (3) Grant, Jackson, Lumpkin

FB- (2) Hall, Johnson

PK- Crosby

P- To be signed near final cuts

LS - Goode

There's 53.

Thompson, Lasanah, DeShawn Wynn, Swain, Giacomini, LB Jones, Bledsoe, Malone on the practice squad.

Goodbye, Kuhn, Humphrey, Tauscher(see you next year), Havner, Peprah.

It's a cruel world.

boiga
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Collins isn't a holdout. He's skipping voluntary work. He's a holdout when he starts skipping mandatory stuff. If he starts skipping mandatory stuff, maybe. Until then, he's our starter at FS coming off of an All-Pro season. He's not at risk of being cut.

Trading Collins is a mistake. Big time playmaker must remain a Packer.

It depends on what kind of contract he is expecting. I was impressed by his improvement last season, but he tailed off his productivity late in the year. It's premature to predict, but if he threatens to skip training camp hoping to become the best paid safety in the league, I won't cry should Ted shop him around.

Fritz
04-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Not sure why so many people seem so willing to ditch Collins. Guy took three years to develop - why would you want to send him elsewhere?

As for the roster and Patler's original question, I won't go down the list. I will say that Lansanah will have a fight on his hands as will Hunter (though he's a special teams demon).

As for running back, I'll predict they'll keep one fullback and have Wynn serve as a backup full back, so they can keep Lumpkin, Grant, and Jackson. We'll see if the FA kid can unseat Lumpkin.

My guess is that they'll stash their free agent receivers on the practice squad unless/until someone offers one of them a job with a roster spot on another team. Then MM and TT will have to make a decision.

Offensive line looks cloudy to me. I dunno. Wells seems to be on his last legs in GB unless Einstein Preston turns out to look completely useless in camp. Moll's in for the fight of his life, too.

The defensive line is the big question mark, much of its composition depending on Jolly's trial and possible suspension by Goodell, and Harrell's back. My guess is that in the best case scenario they have Montgomery and Wynn duke it out, and if Monty wins the backup job they could try to stash Wynn on the practice squad.

Geez. I guess I pretty much covered it.

Bretsky
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Trade Collins; are you kidding ? Dude is a playmaker. He's always had a great first stop on the break and acceleration to the ball. Before last year he just had way too many drops. Last year he put it together. He's coming into his prime. At worst he's a solid player. At best he develops more into a borderline star.

I'm with Skin; ditch Bigby if anybody. Ah, they don't have squat behind these guys anyways so might as well keep em both.

But you definitely keep Collins :!:

3irty1
04-28-2009, 10:09 PM
OL (9) - Clifton, College, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Preston, Lang, Merideth, Giacomini

One of the better battles in camp. Wells is replaced by Spitz with Preston as the emergency center. It wouldn't surprise me if Moll beats out Barbre or Giacomini but I have him as the odd man out.

WR (5) - Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Simmons

The more versatile Simmons beats out Martin who will probably go to the Bears and destroy us for years to come.

TE (2) - Lee, Finley

Only two TE for now. Whether Humphrey makes the team depends on his versatility and special teams.

FB (2) - Hall, Johnson

In the future it would be nice to carry just one but both should be good special teamers and will stick.

QB (3) - Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn

RB (3) - Grant, Jackson, Wynn

Lumpkin just won't make as much of his opportunities as Wynn. If someone else can prove their value as a 3DB or on special teams then they could beat out Wynn but I don't know who that guy is.

DL (7) - Pickett, Raji, Jenkins, Harrell, Jolly, Montgomery, Malone

Rookie goes to the PS. Amazing how much better this group looks with Raji's name in the mix. I expect them all to contribute over the course of the year.

LB (9) - Kampman, Hawk, Barnett, Mathews, Poppinga, Chillar, Thompson, Hunter, Jones

Bishop could make the cut but he seems pretty buried on this roster. I thought I heard McCarthy mention his name as a possible backup at any of the LB positions. If he still believes that then Bishop could take Hunter's spot. Jones seems like a special teams demon with legitimate upside--I think he makes the team. If Bishop is indeed the odd man out he immediately starts for the Lions and puts Ryan Grant in the hospital twice a year.

DB (10) - Harris, Woodson, Williams, Lee, Blackmon, Collins, Bigby, Smith, Rouse, Bush

Bush and Rouse will both compete with Underwood who seems like he has all the same special teams strengths as Bush. Any or both could be replaced by Underwood freeing up a roster spot. Who knows how Capers feels about Rouse anyways.

K/P/LS (3) - Crosby, Brooks, Goode

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2009, 10:38 PM
OL (9) - Clifton, College, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Preston, Lang, Merideth, Giacomini

One of the better battles in camp. Wells is replaced by Spitz with Preston as the emergency center. It wouldn't surprise me if Moll beats out Barbre or Giacomini but I have him as the odd man out.

Of the guys battling at RT, I think Barbre has the most talent. I'd love for him to win that competition.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2009, 10:39 PM
FB (2) - Hall, Johnson

In the future it would be nice to carry just one but both should be good special teamers and will stick.

Am I the only one that thinks Kuhn was actually better than Hall last year?

Joemailman
04-28-2009, 10:47 PM

Lumpkin showed me more in his brief playing time than Wynn has, but the coaches seem something in Wynn. Should be a good battle. Don't count out another player ends up being the #3 RB--perhaps Sutton or somebody that becomes available after final cuts,

I think last year Wynn finally got himself into the kind of physical shape the Packers were looking for. If he shows up in shape and ready to play (and stays healthy), I think he's the favorite. It's do-or-die time for him though.

SnakeLH2006
04-29-2009, 01:28 AM

Good Topic Patler. :D

Snake's Take:

FB: Kuhn's gone. Hall did some great things at times and catches the ball better than Kuhn. Hopefully, and maybe the rook is a beast...Kinda high for a FB, but LSU has some beasts all over. Good pick.

RB: Wynn's gone for sure. Pedestrian, bad attitude, lazy, no burst....Kinda hung on him with the draft and even now. Lumpy looked great in his time. Excited for that kid. Dump Wynn.

OL: McCaskill and Moll (thank god) are gone. You don't cut Wells (proven albeit poor starter) or Preston (huge size, new FA) for Moll. That dude got whooped left and right. If Moll worked at McDonald's and could make frys, flip burgers, and make salads, would you still want him if sucked at all 3 spots...Fuck no. Moll sucks. Keep Gia cuz he might turn out to be good with his size and hasn't proven to suck yet.

WR: Snake likes Heckendorf (knows his famiy...from the same area) but he's gone as are Swain and Allen..Tough call, but if Jenning's bro has a good training camp, why not go with the cheap rook over FA to be Ruvell. He'll be a backup somewhere, but if the upside to the rook is better. Grab him. Out Ruvell.

DL: Bledsoe, Toribo, Soi gone..WTF are those guys???? Anyway...if comes down to Wynn or Montgomery. Mont is gone (and thank god) as Wynn could play the same position better (can't do worse that useless douche Montgomery for his money).

LB: Hunter and Havner gone. Hunter would be a useless LB, and even more so Havner. Jones is safe as a rook unless he fails hard, and Bishop is a beast (love him) and Lasagna is always tasty.

CB: Bush (contract and he sucks), Abram are gone. Blackmon is safe (beast at PR) and Lee (2nd year rook with potential) too. The rook Cinn. corner will likely stick unless he sucks. TT likes his draft picks.

Safety: Peprah gone (does nothing) and hopefully Bush (fails at games)...Smith is safe unless he fails as TT wouldn't have signed him if he didn't like him. Rouse? What would Skin do if Rouse got cut, :lol: then we are stuck with Bigby (who Snake loves and many other Rats do).

Lurker64
04-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Really, it's hard to project which vets are going to get cut at a lot of positions since a lot of guys make the roster (or not) on the basis of their special teams play. Both Hunter and Bush likely stink at their allotted positions on defense, but both are pretty good special teamers. They're unlikely to get displaced by a rook unless the other guy is really good at special teams.

Too early to call a lot of these, it'll be an interesting camp.

Lurker64
04-29-2009, 02:57 AM
I think the battle at FB is going to be really interesting to watch. Johnson is a hammer who will knock your teeth out, and will hopefully solve the problem we've had on third and short for... years now. As a draft pick, and a punishing lead blocker, I see him definitely making the team.

So it comes down to Kuhn vs. Hall for the second spot. Kuhn is the bigger guy and a slightly better blocker, but Hall is gutsy as all get out, he's a core special teamer, and he's a much better receiving threat than Kuhn (and probably Johnson).

If I'm handicapping it, I think that Johnson and Hall probably contribute more to the team overall from the FB position than do Johnson and Kuhn (as Johnson is likely the most physical of all the FBs, and Kuhn's role was largely to come in for Hall in the positions that demanded maximum physicality). But still, it will all come down to camp.

I'm also curious if we maybe keep only 2 TEs and 6 WRs as opposed to 3 TEs and 5 WRs. I could see Jamarko Simmons making the roster as WR #6 / H-Back. Ruvell is likely on the bottom of the depth chart already, but he's going to be hard to displace because of his size (we don't have any 6'4" WRs better than him) and his blocking ability. If we really need 3 TEs for some short yardage set, well... we've got a lot of former OTs who can do all that TE stuff that doesn't require running down the field or catching the ball.

Fritz
04-29-2009, 07:18 AM
FB (2) - Hall, Johnson

I don't know, Harv, but I do know that for me, Kuhn and Hall were like Darrell and Darrell - I never knew which was which. One was a converted linebacker, and one was a running back in college. Which was which, though? I never could keep that straigtht.

It was much easier when Najeh Davenport was on the team - "Yeah, Davenport, I know him - he's the guy that pooped in a laundry basket."

I suspect that until either Kuhn or Hall does something equally memorable, I will continue to confuse the two.

3irty1
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM
FB (2) - Hall, Johnson

You can make that argument for sure. He was at least a little more productive last year. He got goal line carries and caught a couple touchdowns. I've always been impressed with Hall but I don't think either one is much better than the other.

Bossman641
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
OL: McCaskill and Moll (thank god) are gone. You don't cut Wells (proven albeit poor starter) or Preston (huge size, new FA) for Moll. That dude got whooped left and right. If Moll worked at McDonald's and could make frys, flip burgers, and make salads, would you still want him if sucked at all 3 spots...Fuck no. Moll sucks. Keep Gia cuz he might turn out to be good with his size and hasn't proven to suck yet.

:bclap:

SnakeLH2006
04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Kuhn and Hall were like Darrell and Darrell - I never knew which was which. One was a converted linebacker, and one was a running back in college. Which was which, though? I never could keep that straigtht.

It was much easier when Najeh Davenport was on the team - "Yeah, Davenport, I know him - he's the guy that pooped in a laundry basket."

I suspect that until either Kuhn or Hall does something equally memorable, I will continue to confuse the two.

Thanx Fritz, for the clarification. Snake (and Najeh's teammates, I'm sure) were always wary of where the Poop was. :cry: :lol: :lol: Good stuff bro.