PDA

View Full Version : Packers make their first post-draft roster cut.

Patler
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Packers thinned the O-line on Monday, by releasing center Brennan Carvalho. No big surprise, but they have repeatedly said he showed a lot of potential. He was a nondrafted free agent signed May 2008, and spent all last season on the practice squad.

Lurker64
04-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I suppose it was done as a consideration to Mr. Carvalho, as he was the #4 Center on the roster and it was unlikely that he would be able to beat out Spitz, Wells, or Preston; particularly with the roster of drafted promising young linemen growing even bigger this year.

Patler
04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I suppose it was done as a consideration to Mr. Carvalho, as he was the #4 Center on the roster and it was unlikely that he would be able to beat out Spitz, Wells, or Preston; particularly with the roster of drafted promising young linemen growing even bigger this year.

Depending on how many undrafted rookies they sign, they may have to cut a few more to get to the allowable training camp limit. I think they are at 75 right now, including the drafted players. For some reason they still list Tauscher on the depth chart, even though he is not under contract.

Waldo
04-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Lang can snap too. Similar to Unger, he can play all 5 spots, but doesn't have the arm length you look for in a LT.

retailguy
04-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Depending on how many undrafted rookies they sign, they may have to cut a few more to get to the allowable training camp limit. I think they are at 75 right now, including the drafted players. For some reason they still list Tauscher on the depth chart, even though he is not under contract.

They always do that with unsigned UFA's. I think it's in the CBA, not sure. Seems to me that this came up with someone last season, and it was either addressed here or on PFT.. Just don't remember the specifics.

packers04
04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
i talked to brennann, brennan tore his ACL 6 weeks ago... look for him to continue his career with the packers next year. the guys only 22 and he weighs 310. tough guy. He's going to be a solid player for us.

Fritz
04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
If he's hurt wouldn't they put him on I.R. for the upcoming season, or is it too soon for such a move?

KYPack
04-28-2009, 09:50 PM
i talked to brennann, brennan tore his ACL 6 weeks ago... look for him to continue his career with the packers next year. the guys only 22 and he weighs 310. tough guy. He's going to be a solid player for us.

How'd he get torn up 6 weeks ago?

Not in the "new" weight room I hope.

Brohm
04-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Non-football injury perhaps? Packers not liable then and noone would pick him up?

packers04
04-29-2009, 09:07 AM
brohm hit it right on the head, he was playing basketball of all things :-(

Patler
04-29-2009, 09:18 AM

Interesting. I remember some very positive things having been said about him over the last year. However, a year from now is a long time, the roster makeup will change, and the Packers may not have a need or interest in him. We'll have to wait and see if the Packers ever re-sign him or not. If not, hopefully he will get a chance elsewhere.