PDA

View Full Version : Favre Retirement Idea

scooterwfr
04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
So, I don't post out here at all... I tend to just do a lot of reading at work ;-) but what do you all think of this?

In light of Favre's release, if I was Ted Thompson or Mark Murphy, I would be on the line with Brett TODAY. Call him up, make amends, perhaps discuss the previous endorsement offers, and sign him to a one day contract to retire as a Packer. Then they could retire his number on opening day, Sunday Night Football, Lambeau Field, against Chicago.

I can't think of a better scenario. I know it may be early, and he may need more time... but if he is truly DONE, why not??

Sorry for the Favre talk, I know we are all sick of it, but thought this was interesting. Thoughts?

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Sounds great, but I doubt Thompson will want to push him. Favre's people might misread it as Thompson trying to push Favre out the door again. The Packers have made it clear that the door is open when Favre is ready to retire as a Packer, so I'd assume they'll wait for Favre to make the first move.

Zool
04-29-2009, 02:42 PM
I get what Scooter is saying tho. Be the first to extend the olive branch. Its not a bad idea but who knows how it would be received.

Gunakor
04-29-2009, 02:42 PM
So, I don't post out here at all... I tend to just do a lot of reading at work ;-) but what do you all think of this?

In light of Favre's release, if I was Ted Thompson or Mark Murphy, I would be on the line with Brett TODAY. Call him up, make amends, perhaps discuss the previous endorsement offers, and sign him to a one day contract to retire as a Packer. Then they could retire his number on opening day, Sunday Night Football, Lambeau Field, against Chicago.

I can't think of a better scenario. I know it may be early, and he may need more time... but if he is truly DONE, why not??

Sorry for the Favre talk, I know we are all sick of it, but thought this was interesting. Thoughts?

I think it's better to avoid the Favre situation entirely, at least for the next few years. This isn't about football, so his being retired has nothing to do with it.

Furthermore, about the one day contract deal, it's not necessary nor important. His number will be retired and his name put in our Ring of Honor regardless of whether he signs another contract with the Packers. He will have his own section in the Packers HOF even if he never drops the grudge with Thompson. Anything that would have happened had he just stayed retired in 2008 is going to happen anyway. So I don't think pressing the issue on Thompson OR Favre is a good or necessary thing. I'd just let the chips fall as they may, let time heal the wounds, and celebrate when the time is right for both Favre and Thompson. That's what I think anyway.

swede
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM

I think it's better to avoid the Favre situation entirely, at least for the next few years. This isn't about football, so his being retired has nothing to do with it.

Furthermore, about the one day contract deal, it's not necessary nor important. His number will be retired and his name put in our Ring of Honor regardless of whether he signs another contract with the Packers. He will have his own section in the Packers HOF even if he never drops the grudge with Thompson. Anything that would have happened had he just stayed retired in 2008 is going to happen anyway. So I don't think pressing the issue on Thompson OR Favre is a good or necessary thing. I'd just let the chips fall as they may, let time heal the wounds, and celebrate when the time is right for both Favre and Thompson. That's what I think anyway.

I absolutely agree.

Even a very sweet note to Favre from Mark Murphy saying, "Please know that when you are ready we would like to celebrate your retirement in a way that respects the fine accomplishments of your storied career. Let us know when you are ready to plan such an event." would read to the Favre Camp as "Hey Has-Been! You'll never play another down of football in the NFL so why don't you just grovel back and let us put a foot on your throat in front of 70,000 at Lambeau."

Better let this one lay a while.

falco
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM
why would favre come retire as a packer again when it is clear he wants to keep the door open to playing next year if he so desires??

pbmax
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, the hard feelings might reside on more than just the Favre family side. Thompson got hit last year. Campen had his name and story leaked for being a messenger. And Murphy was made to look like a fool for going down in the middle of the standoff and making the marketing deal offer.

I doubt McCarthy wants to get involved. Who else is left? Lee Remmel?

I do agree that a call now would give Favre less room to claim he is unloved later, since he is fond of getting calls from Green Bay. But I don't think anyone wants to touch this topic until he remains retired through a season.

Maybe we should just send Greg Bedard. Or Harlan.

Maxie the Taxi
04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
pbmax, I disagree. I think the perfect goodwill ambassador to send to Kiln, Mississippi is Cleft Crusty. If Cleft can't mend fences, nobody can.

Patler
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM

No reason at all for the Packers to stick their necks out again and give Favre another opportunity to smear the organization. There is nothing to be gained at this time. Let it sit at least a year. I would let it sit a couple years.

sheepshead
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/139315577_9da8ef2810.jpg

cpk1994
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM

No reason at all for the Packers to stick their necks out again and give Favre another opportunity to smear the organization. There is nothing to be gained at this time. Let it sit at least a year. I would let it sit a couple years.Besides, Favre is the one who should be making the first move anyway.

Gunakor
04-29-2009, 05:10 PM

No reason at all for the Packers to stick their necks out again and give Favre another opportunity to smear the organization. There is nothing to be gained at this time. Let it sit at least a year. I would let it sit a couple years.Besides, Favre is the one who should be making the first move anyway.

Well, Favre should be the one to make the initial phone call, yes. Ted Thompson is still the GM of the Packers. He's not retired. He has a job to do, and it doesn't involve pacifying Favre.

But as soon as Favre makes that phone call, I'd expect Thompson would give him his full attention. They'll decide together when to do this. It's not Favre owes us this or Favre owes us that, then we'll talk. Nothing like that.

The first move, as you say, is nothing but a simple phone call.

The Shadow
04-29-2009, 05:35 PM

I agree.
Personally however, I am in no hurry anyway to see Favre anywhere near the Packers for some time. Moreover, in my humble opinion, I think it would demonstrate a degree of personal character growth for #4, after the selfish shenanigans, to be the one to extend the olive branch.

Packnut
04-29-2009, 05:54 PM
There are times when it's just better to put some distance and space when hurt feelings are involved. No hurry. Some day when the time is right Brett will retire in the beloved Green&Gold.

Joemailman
04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
I don't think the Packers organization needs any time. The only issue is whether Favre wants to do it now, or whether he needs more time. The potential problem with waiting is that it creates the perception that the wait is due to the rift between Favre and Thompson. Because of what happened last year, I think the sooner there is a reconciliation between Favre and the Packers, the better.

KYPack
04-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I really think it boils down to how long TT is with the team.

If TT is with GB for 8 more years, then nothing will happen on the BF retirement for 8 years. That may sound daffy, but I really think it's the way things will go down.

Gunakor
04-29-2009, 06:34 PM

If TT is with GB for 8 more years, then nothing will happen on the BF retirement for 8 years. That may sound daffy, but I really think it's the way things will go down.

I don't think Favre will hold his grudge against Thompson forever. I don't expect anything to happen this year, but it won't take Thompson's departure from Green Bay to make this thing happen. The two won't ever be friends, but they're both capable of coming together as men and getting this thing done for the team and the fans of Green Bay. I expect it won't be more than a few more years.

Joemailman
04-29-2009, 07:02 PM
If Favre decides to "wait out" Thompson before having his number retired, he'll just look petty. I don't think he'll do that. The fact that Bus Cook said Favre wanted his release because he wants to retire as a Packer could mean Favre is ready for a reconciliation. I wouldn't be shocked if his number is retired this year.

Patler
04-29-2009, 07:05 PM
The fact that Bus Cook said Favre wanted his release because he wants to retire as a Packer could mean Favre is ready for a reconciliation.

Was that the case? I had not heard that.

Joemailman
04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
The fact that Bus Cook said Favre wanted his release because he wants to retire as a Packer could mean Favre is ready for a reconciliation.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

GrnBay007
04-29-2009, 09:03 PM

That could very well be the case. This article is less than 2 months old.

I thought during the two day "talk" they were supposedly letting Brett decide where he wanted to play outside the NFC North.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/brett-again-favre-wanted-to-be-traded-to-tampa-bay/

KYPack
04-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Great stuff double "O".

Didn't hear about any of this when it came out.

Fritz
04-30-2009, 05:51 AM

From all the reading I've done on this - like most of you, that's a whole lot - I have to agree with KY here. The Favre Clan seems to have decided that Thompson is the Evil One, and I suspect that once they've decided you're out, then you're out.

I'd say it would be wise for the Pack to just let this one sit until, oh, say mid-August. If by then Favre has not come back, then perhaps Murphy could send that gentle love note/invitatiion.

Patler
04-30-2009, 07:30 AM

Something doesn't compute here. Didn't Favre say that he has already filed his retirement papers? I thought he said that when he announced he wasn't coming back to the Jets. If he has done that, he has already retired as a Jet.

From what I have been told, it is virtually meaningless anyway, except for the list they are on at the NFL for retirement benefits, when they list the players by team according to the last team they had a contract with.

To "retire as a Packer" the Packers will have to sign him for a day, as they have recently with a number of other players.

AV David
04-30-2009, 08:06 AM
"The fact that Bus Cook said Favre wanted his release because he wants to retire as a Packer could mean Favre is ready for a reconciliation."

Doesn't this presuppose Bus Cook was telling the truth?

pbmax
04-30-2009, 08:06 AM
He did file his papers, but the Jets left him on the reserve/retire list rather than releasing him. It left his contract intact and his rights continued to belong to the team. According to Dave Hutchinson at the Newark Star-Ledger (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/04/why_the_new_york_jets_cut_all.html), this is the second time they have asked to be released.

But I think Favre is conflating some events, although it is entirely possible he was left with little choice. ESPN could not have reported his trade to the Jets until he agreed to the trade. Up until that point, everyone believed that there were two suitors, New York and Tampa. And if I recall correctly, it was known that the Jets offer was better and preferred by the Packers, but I remember the latter (preference) being an inference on our part because it meant he would not play the Packers during the season.

Until this nugget, no one had reported at the time that Tamps was NOT an option. So while the message Favre conveys is quite possibly true, getting this info from ESPN in front of his daughter seems likely to be invented. He likely learned of this from Cook or the Packers while in Green Bay, not Mort on TV. The Packers were talking to Glazer, Schefter and the local guys. Not the 4 Letter network.

ESPN could eventually have learned that Tampa is not an option from either Tampa (by way of the Packers or Camp Favre-although the Packers likely would not want to sabotage the backup plan) or from Camp Favre directly.

The retire as a Packer stuff seems far fetched. Not only is this step unnecessary at this time, but if this was the plan, then someone in the Favre camp would have called the Packers, which so far does not seem to have happened. By talking this step unilaterally rather than with the Packers knowledge, they are clearly happy to make people uncomfortable.

This is sabre-rattling the Favre way, to let people know he isn't happy yet. He may play, he may not and he probably doesn't know himself yet. But he is still mad.

Zool
04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh fucking great. Another off-season with the same conversations. Will he/wont he.

pbmax
04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh fucking great. Another off-season with the same conversations. Will he/wont he.
I promise to stop if you will change your avatar to something other than a Depends S&M commercial :lol:

Zool
04-30-2009, 09:29 AM
NEVER!

KYPack
04-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Just a side note, but rememnber all this BS (allegedly from the BF camp) last July?

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 pm EDT

Favre: Tampa Bay is 'too hot''
Getty Images
Brett Favre is planning to play in 2008 and no longer feels welcome in Green Bay. But if he is able to gain his release or be traded from the Packers, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers may not be very high on Favre's list of new teams.

Favre has recently told sources close to him that Tampa Bay was 'too hot,' and that he prefers to play and practice in cooler weather. That sounds rather strange from a guy who grew up and spends his summers in Mississippi.

What was up with that shit?

Was Brett trying to help the Jet trade or was it all crap?

Fritz
04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm on board with PB on this whole thing. I don't think Favre knows what he wants yet, but he wants to keep his options open, and he wants people to know he's keeping his options open - it's just that he doesn't want anyone saying that.

Gunakor
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM

Something doesn't compute here. Didn't Favre say that he has already filed his retirement papers? I thought he said that when he announced he wasn't coming back to the Jets. If he has done that, he has already retired as a Jet.

From what I have been told, it is virtually meaningless anyway, except for the list they are on at the NFL for retirement benefits, when they list the players by team according to the last team they had a contract with.

To "retire as a Packer" the Packers will have to sign him for a day, as they have recently with a number of other players.

Doesn't this mean he has to be reactivated by the NFL for a day too though? If he is reactivated by the NFL for a day, and he hasn't gotten his release from the Jets by that point, he's property of the Jets when reactivated and cannot sign his one day contract with the Packers. He had to get a release from the Jets, even though he filed his retirement papers, just to be able to retire a Packer. At least that's what I'd assume to be the case.

Harlan Huckleby
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
ahhh, he's 39, but he's a spry 39. The only thing that will keep him out of football is if his arm doesn't heal completely, he's got nothing better to do. BTW, how many people do have something better to do?

ZachMN
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I hope he comes back- to the vikings and then gets wrinkled on the turf-either stadium but better at Lambeau- permanently ending his career-take the cushman off of lambeau jackass. The football gods punishment for thinking your bigger than the sport and the team etc.

Bossman641
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I have a Favre retirement idea.

How about Favre retires and then actually stays retired? I know this idea is a little out there but I think it might just be crazy enough to work.

cpk1994
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM

How about Favre retires and then actually stays retired? I know this idea is a little out there but I think it might just be crazy enough to work.YOu might want to take that one up with Brett, bot us. :lol:

Fritz
04-30-2009, 02:46 PM

How about Favre retires and then actually stays retired? I know this idea is a little out there but I think it might just be crazy enough to work.

You're an edgy sumbitch, you are.

Patler
05-01-2009, 01:12 AM

Doesn't this mean he has to be reactivated by the NFL for a day too though? If he is reactivated by the NFL for a day, and he hasn't gotten his release from the Jets by that point, he's property of the Jets when reactivated and cannot sign his one day contract with the Packers. He had to get a release from the Jets, even though he filed his retirement papers, just to be able to retire a Packer. At least that's what I'd assume to be the case.

My point was that he said he already filed his papers, therefore he retired as a Jet. There is no reason to file the papers again. The Favre camp either lied about filing the papers then, or is lieing now about "retiring a Packer". Filing the papers twice makes no sense.

Fritz
05-01-2009, 06:09 AM
My understanding is that though he has filed his papers, all it would take for him to "retire a Packer" would be a one-day contract with the Packers, and I do not think he'd be required to file re-instatement papers if all parties understood it was for ceremonial purposes only.

Having said that, I think that Favre - at this moment - wants to be retired. But he also wants to be able to un-retire, should he change his mind. A nice way to put it would be that he is keeping his options open.