PDA

View Full Version : 'You can't really judge a draft until 3 years'

cheesner
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Every time I hear a talking head on the radio, or a columnist write or post 'you can't really judge a draft until 3 years'. I think one thing:

"No Shit!"

But why can't you speculate and grade it now?

If you wait 3 years, even Matt Millen can figure it out at that point. If you can't rate a draft, why bother with the analysis? Pundits analyze and scrutinize the players for months and suddenly when they get drafted you are dumbfounded on if they can play or not? Tip: If you don't have a clue, don't be discussing or analyzing the player prior to the draft.

It is like being asked 'who do you think is the best team in football?' and responding with 'Well, we won't know until after the Superbowl, so no use in discussing it until then.

Why do these same pundits then get involved in discussing which team improved the most in the offseason? After all, we won't know how those FAs will adapt to the new team, or how those backups will emerge, or will we really know how a new coach is going to handle his duties prior mid-season or . . . In short, if you can't speculate, I think the message boards, newspaper articles and NFL themed TV shows are going to be pretty much empty.

And why can't a draft be graded? One can use his football knowledge, talent evaluation skills, etc. to reach some kind of estimate of the quality of a draft pick. An evaluator can ask themselves:

Does the player have physical talent?
Does the player know how to play his position (or can learn)?
Did the player have success in college?
Was he a product of a system?
Does the player fit the system of the team?
Were there better players available when the player was selected?
Does the player fill a team need?
Etc.

cpk1994
04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Every time I hear a talking head on the radio, or a columnist write or post 'you can't really judge a draft until 3 years'. I think one thing:

"No Shit!"

If you wait 3 years, even Matt Millen can figure it out at that point. If you can't rate a draft, why bother with the analysis? Pundits analyze and scrutinize the players for months and suddenly when they get drafted you are dumbfounded on if they can play or not? Tip: If you don't have a clue, don't be discussing or analyzing the player prior to the draft.

It is like being asked 'who do you think is the best team in football?' and responding with 'Well, we won't know until after the Superbowl, so no use in discussing it until then.

Why do these same pundits then get involved in discussing which team improved the most in the offseason? After all, we won't know how those FAs will adapt to the new team, or how those backups will emerge, or will we really know how a new coach is going to handle his duties prior mid-season or . . . In short, if you can't speculate, I think the message boards, newspaper articles and NFL themed TV shows are going to be pretty much empty.

And why can't a draft be graded? One can use his football knowledge, talent evaluation skills, etc. to reach some kind of estimate of the quality of a draft pick. An evaluator can ask themselves:

Etc.

And then Mel Kiper would be out of a job. Which means hair care compaines lose money. Which mean people who manufactured those hair care products are out of work. It will send the unemployment reate even more sky high. :D

cheesner
04-29-2009, 02:49 PM

"No Shit!"

Etc.

And then Mel Kiper would be out of a job. Which means hair care compaines lose money. Which mean people who manufactured those hair care products are out of work. It will send the unemployment reate even more sky high. :D

DAMMMIT!

This is bigger than I thought.

ECONOMIC COLLAPSE!

Peter King - you bastard! Start giving out them grades!

SnakeLH2006
04-30-2009, 03:05 AM

"Why is Mel Kiper getting paid millions to say who is so great in the draft, yet really fails when you look at his past draft analysis. We as Rats could do that, and do it for free?"

Sorry, had to fill that in, but, yep, that guy sucks, and isn't even media friendly. Hype sucks. Snake likes Todd McShay much better. That 2nd round safety the Raiders got might suck, but Snake loved seeing Mel have to respond shakingly, when he (the draft pick) said (paraphased), "Fuck Mel Kiper. My 9 year old nephew could stake claim as to who is good, but no one really knows, thank the Raiders, but the NFL Draft is a crapshoot." True Dat. Fuck Mel.