PDA

View Full Version : RT

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2009, 03:27 PM
I wonder if Bedard has any inside knowledge or if he just throws stuff at the wall.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43908562.html

In the article above, Bedard writes that Giacomini is the favorite to be the starter at RT. He writes that this will be Barbre's "last chance". He writes that Barbre will likely have to win the starting job to make the roster. Then, he writes that it's unlikely that he will.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44007332.html

Then, I read the transcript of a McCarthy interview (listed above), and it's the second time he's mentioned Barbre first when talking about the RT position.

To me, it seems Bedard throws things against the wall--without really knowing what's going on. Now, it's entirely possible that Barbre doesn't win the spot, but is he truly as much of a longshot to make the roster as Bedard makes it appear. I'm not so sure.

RashanGary
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Pro Football Weekly, when the season finished last year, wrote about having inside information that the Packers are very high in Giacomini. Now, he's coming off surgery and is very young. It might be tough for him to get back.

I could see wanting Barbre to shit or get off the pot though. This is approaching Junius Coston territory. The guy has shown nothing in two years. Are we really going to keep him around for 3 years with zero contributions? It's time for him to step up.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Coston got 3 years before he was run out of town his 4th year. Is it really shocking that a guy isn't good enough to be a starter in his first two years?

Rivera didn't start his first two years.

Wahle wasn't very good his first 3-4 years.

Flanagan didn't start his first 5 years in the league--although he had some injuries.

I agree that he has to start showing something, but I could see him improving enough to make the roster without being a starter. When they drafted this guy, they knew he was a developmental type pick. He played at a small school and he's dumber than a box of rocks.

vince
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
I think he's talking out of his ass, although I have a hard time disagreeing with most of what he's saying. Of course, I'm talking out of my ass too though.

3irty1
04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
I've felt Barbre was on the fringe of taking a starting spot last year when they were looking at him for guard. If hes gotten any better since then he should be kept.

RashanGary
04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Everything seemed to be going good until he punched James Campen at practice. Ever since, he's been on the hot seat.

I'm hoping he steps up too, Harv. I'm not dismissing him, I just think he should be good enough now to get on the field when we need him. This will be his third full training camp with us and he's had two full seasons of practice as well as almost three years in an NFL training program. He definitely should be better than any rookie we have.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm not even arguing for Barbre. More Bedard's take. I read it this morning, and I thought to myself: is Barbre really a longshot at the position? To me, it's him vs. Breno, and it's a pretty even battle between the two. It's not like Breno has proven anything.

Partial
04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I've heard that he actually punched BTT, not Campen. Dude's gotta use his head. Can't go around punching people.

Patler
04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
To me, it seems Bedard throws things against the wall--without really knowing what's going on. Now, it's entirely possible that Barbre doesn't win the spot, but is he truly as much of a longshot to make the roster as Bedard makes it appear. I'm not so sure.

I would suspect Moll to be at a make-it or break-it point in his career, but not Barbre. Moll has been around for three years, and has over a year's worth of starts under his belt. He needs to start producing

Barbre was drafted with the thought he wouldn't be ready his first year (of course that was true for Moll, too). Last year may have been a little disappointing, but Barbre really hasn't played either. I think he gets at least a third season and perhaps even a fourth training camp before they give up on him. Of course, what we don't know, but Bedard might know, is if the coaches feel they are not making headway with him. If they have reached that point he is as good as gone.

RashanGary
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm not even arguing for Barbre. More Bedard's take. I read it this morning, and I thought to myself: is Barbre really a longshot at the position? To me, it's him vs. Breno, and it's a pretty even battle between the two. It's not like Breno has proven anything.

IC. I agree. I'm a little skeptical of Barbre, but you're right, it sounds like Bedard feels the same way but writes it like it's fact or inside info.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I would suspect Moll to be at a make-it or break-it point in his career, but not Barbre. Moll has been around for three years, and has over a year's worth of starts under his belt. He needs to start producing

Barbre was drafted with the thought he wouldn't be ready his first year (of course that was true for Moll, too). Last year may have been a little disappointing, but Barbre really hasn't played either. I think he gets at least a third season and perhaps even a fourth training camp before they give up on him. Of course, what we don't know, but Bedard might know, is if the coaches feel they are not making headway with him. If they have reached that point he is as good as gone.

I agree. I guess I'm just not sure I can trust Bedard at this point. Just reading into McCarthy's statements, it seems like he's expecting it to be a good battle. I don't think the Packers are to the point where they think Barbre has really disappointed, but we'll see what he does in his final chance. I get the feeling they feel that he has a shot at being the starter this year.

Patler
04-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I agree. I guess I'm just not sure I can trust Bedard at this point. Just reading into McCarthy's statements, it seems like he's expecting it to be a good battle. I don't think the Packers are to the point where they think Barbre has really disappointed, but we'll see what he does in his final chance. I get the feeling they feel that he has a shot at being the starter this year.

I think the reason you feel the way you do about Bedard (and I feel the same way) is that he gives you absolutely no reason to think that what he writes is anything more than his own gut feeling. I do not get the impression that he gets information that we don't. In many of his articles he simply rehashes and consolidates information from other sources. Heck, he even supplies the links. I never get the impression that he has "unidentified team sources" or anything like that. In the current article, nothing would suggest that he has talked to coaches, players, trainers, locker room attendants, security guards or anyone else about Barbre.

Bedard has become a gossip columnist more than a reporter.

retailguy
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM

Maybe Bedard is really Joe Arrigo. :shock:

vince
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I agree. He should be held to a higher standard than that. If it's his opinion, that's fine, but he should explicitly state that. If he has a source inside the Packer organization, he should disclose that.

He purposely (and unfortunately he's not unique among Packer reporters in this regard) takes advantage of the assumption many make that he is actually a "reporter" who verifies statements presented as fact, cites sources, etc. And he doesn't explicitly state one way or another when drawing conclusions so as not to undermine the impression that he's actually done those things we tend to assume he's done.

Here's a perfect example:

Giacomini will be tested by a couple of last-chance players: Tony Moll and Allen Barbre. This is it for both. They've had chances to grab starting positions in the past and failed. Both will likely have to win a starting spot in order to make the roster.

Does he know this from talking with the O-line coach or McCarthy? Doesn't appear so, but he states matter-of-factly, "This is it for both."

Bogus journalism.

DonHutson
04-29-2009, 07:05 PM

That seems to be the difference between a column and a blog. You can say any old shit in a blog, quote questionable internet sources, and whatever else.

A lot of people here don't like McGinn, but at least the guy has an extensive network of NFL sources to talk to.

Joemailman
04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I think Moll is dead man walking. Not Barbre. It probably is between Barbre and Giaco. It will be interesting to see which one is listed as the starter on the depth chart come training camp. This position and WOLB will be the ones to watch this summer.

CaliforniaCheez
04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
I think Barbre is in a good position.

Clifton might not make it. He is always limping around and can hardly practice by midseason.

Colledge will move out to LT and Barbre is then the new LG if he can compete with Spitz. He is stronger than Spitz but his technique has not been as good.

Sitton is likely the RG.

Giacomini didn't really show much in preseason last year. It really depends on if Lang suffers from rookieittis.

Meredith was considered a late second round pick on most draft web sites and he likely was the BPA when drafted in the 5th.

Both Meredith and Lang come in with more ability than Giacomini arrived with. I think one becomes the new RT and one becomes the new Tony Moll.

Unfortunately, an injury to a player at random will force the issue of who moves up and who moves out with the injured player (unless it is Clifton) getting another shot next year.

Pick any of the O-line to get injured and you have a whole range of possible scenarios.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Babre was drafted out of a bumble fuck school with very little experience playing offensive guard. He was tight end basically up to his senior year when they moved him to tackle. He is a work in progress just like every linemen Thompson drafts. So to give up this guy going into his third year is a bit off the wall.

rbaloha1
04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Barbre is athletic and nasty -- always looking to hit someone. In fact Barbre's temperment reminds of Wahle.

Sure would be nice if Barbre solidifies the right side which is where the majority of Packer running plays are run.

Sitton is assignment sure and tough. Shows the ability to reach the second level. Combined with Barbre maybe the zone blocking scheme is finally consistently executed the way MM desires.

Brohm
04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Hopefully MM actually allows these lower round developmental picks to work at one position and master instead of flopping around all over. Maybe that's what is hindering the likes of Moll and Barbre....

rbaloha1
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Hopefully MM actually allows these lower round developmental picks to work at one position and master instead of flopping around all over. Maybe that's what is hindering the likes of Moll and Barbre....

Moll can not play.

mraynrand
04-29-2009, 11:18 PM

That seems to be the difference between a column and a blog. You can say any old shit in a blog, quote questionable internet sources, and whatever else.

A lot of people here don't like McGinn, but at least the guy has an extensive network of NFL sources to talk to.

I think McGinn is pretty outstanding for a beat writer. The rest of the JS sucks. This forum is by far more informative than the JS.

SnakeLH2006
04-30-2009, 02:44 AM

I dunno RetailGuy...Snake used to be a contributer to PackerChatters before the Rats when I joined PR 3 years ago, when PC went to shame. Joe Arrigo may be Bedard, as I think Joe killed Bedard (as his statistically good post went to piss in the last half a year on JSO). Joe always said he had some "bigger" gig he wanted to do, and then "Bedard" went AWOL posting up crazy shit to get "hits" on his JSO blog. This is the reason JSO Packers went to shame...their golden child Bedard starting SUCKING AT LIFE and then at JSO blogs. So, yes, maybe, methinks it's true now. How sad though.

Arrigo jumped the Shark and Snake left PC when him and Joe Randolph had "all those fucking sources" of TT's tradeup to "CONFIRMED" to get Reggie Bush. Had to leave at that point...and haven't visited since. That was just insanely dumb as 90% of that site feasted on insider rumors, as did Snake, till it go so dumb I had to go.

BTW, Partial...Snake started using BTT (Big Time Teddy) after the first day of the draft when Snake and Ted polished off a few bottles of Scotch celebrating day 1. When did you start using BTT without proper consent? :shock: :lol:

I've heard that he actually punched BTT, not Campen. Dude's gotta use his head. Can't go around punching people.

And if that's true, by punching Ted, that's a hate crime, based on Ted's sexual orientation. If true, he'd be in jail. :roll: :lol: :lol: Links?

Patler
04-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Babre was drafted out of a bumble fuck school with very little experience playing offensive guard. He was tight end basically up to his senior year when they moved him to tackle. He is a work in progress just like every linemen Thompson drafts. So to give up this guy going into his third year is a bit off the wall.

Tony Moll is the one who was a tight end until his senior year, then played tackle. Barbre was a four year starter at left tackle for Missouri Southern.

run pMc
04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
I agree that Moll is the odd man out.
Not sure where what spots they're looking at putting everyone, but I could see the depth chart shaping up like this:

LT - Clifton, Meredith
LG - Colledge, Lang
C - Spitz, Wells
RG - Sitton, Preston
RT - Barbre, Giacomini

Not sure if they'll keep 10 OL; wouldn't be surprised if they only kept 8 or 9, stashing a rookie or two on the PS. I guess there's that versatility they look for.

Either way, the OL competition will be very interesting. Cross your fingers that a solid group emerges from this bunch. I've seen enough inconsistent OL execution thus far. I'm starting to worry the light will never go on and we'll have to listen to weekly blather about pad level.

3irty1
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't expect Moll to be automaticly cut. He was Tauscher's back up last year so he might be the guy to beat for Tauscher's job this year. I hope somebody does but Moll isn't THAT bad.

Fritz
04-30-2009, 10:02 AM

Tony Moll is the one who was a tight end until his senior year, then played tackle. Barbre was a four year starter at left tackle for Missouri Southern.

Ah, Patler. The differences between you and me are apparent here. You focus on the facts of the case, while I was more than amused by Nutz's phrase "a bumble fuck school."

I like "bumble fuck." It's my new favorite adjective.

"That was a bumble-fuck draft pick, for sure."

"What a bumble-fuck operation that Denver team has, huh?"

"Man, I wouldn't want to be at the bottom of a pile of players going after a fumble. That'd be a real bumble-fuck."

Nutz, adding to the vocabulary of thousands of Packerrats viewers. Cool

rbaloha1
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't expect Moll to be automaticly cut. He was Tauscher's back up last year so he might be the guy to beat for Tauscher's job this year. I hope somebody does but Moll isn't THAT bad.

As a starter, Moll was consistently beat at rt. At the draft day news conference Coach McCarthy failed to provide a specific position for Moll when asked.

swede
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM

As a starter, Moll was consistently beat at rt. At the draft day news conference Coach McCarthy failed to provide a specific position for Moll when asked.

That is a big oh oh for Tony. Good catch, RBALOHA.

SnakeLH2006
04-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Ah, Patler. The differences between you and me are apparent here. You focus on the facts of the case, while I was more than amused by Nutz's phrase "a bumble fuck school."

I like "bumble fuck." It's my new favorite adjective.

"That was a bumble-fuck draft pick, for sure."

"What a bumble-fuck operation that Denver team has, huh?"

"Man, I wouldn't want to be at the bottom of a pile of players going after a fumble. That'd be a real bumble-fuck."

Nutz, adding to the vocabulary of thousands of Packerrats viewers. Cool

Fritz you fucking crack me up. That's this weeks official "Snake shoots beer out his nose laughing POST OF THE WEEK." :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I love it when reporters make comments like this.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44131022.html

I'm just looking for players that look the part of an NFL player, where they are playing and if I can glean anything about the new defensive scheme.

It's the only practice we have access to. (For the record: booooo!)

Well, part of the reason they limit your access may be because you are going to report any information you can glean about the new scheme.
:D

vince
05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
And how ironic is it farther down the page in your link Harv, in the "Favre Update" section that he has the audacity to rail on another reporter who has written something without sourcing it!

Fritz
05-01-2009, 06:41 PM

Ah, not so, Aloha. I believe Coach McCarthy, when asked, described Moll's specific position as "fetal."

rbaloha1
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Ah, not so, Aloha. I believe Coach McCarthy, when asked, described Moll's specific position as "fetal."

HA HA

KYPack
05-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I believe Moll's new position will be...

Left Out.

wist43
05-02-2009, 04:08 PM
They need to stop bouncing these guys around and let them settle in at a position... even MM admitted that moving guys from one position to another has hurt the lines development and continuity - dah!!!!

And yet, what is the first thing they cite in talking about Meredith and Lang??? Their versatility and ability to play multiple positions....

Good grief, let em get settled into one spot, and go from there... as I've been saying, draft a freaking G, and let him play G; draft a freaking T, and let him play T.

swede
05-02-2009, 08:40 PM
But Wist...what if they draft a freaking center?

Lurker64
05-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Good grief, let em get settled into one spot, and go from there... as I've been saying, draft a freaking G, and let him play G; draft a freaking T, and let him play T.

I think the thing is that in college generally the best athletes on the offensive line are always offensive tackles, and the guards are always the worst athletes on the offensive line. Since the scheme requires athletic offensive linemen, we're generally not going to be drafting anybody who played a lot of guard in college.

The thing about "not bouncing people around" is not that "we're not going to transition people to a different position" but that "we're not going to try to teach the young guys three different positions at once, since that stunts their growth at each of them."

If they decide Lang is a Guard, pick a side of the line, teach him how to play that side at the NFL level and don't bother teaching him anything else until he masters that.

Waldo
05-02-2009, 08:57 PM

I dunno RetailGuy...Snake used to be a contributer to PackerChatters before the Rats when I joined PR 3 years ago, when PC went to shame. Joe Arrigo may be Bedard, as I think Joe killed Bedard (as his statistically good post went to piss in the last half a year on JSO). Joe always said he had some "bigger" gig he wanted to do, and then "Bedard" went AWOL posting up crazy shit to get "hits" on his JSO blog. This is the reason JSO Packers went to shame...their golden child Bedard starting SUCKING AT LIFE and then at JSO blogs. So, yes, maybe, methinks it's true now. How sad though.

Arrigo jumped the Shark and Snake left PC when him and Joe Randolph had "all those fucking sources" of TT's tradeup to "CONFIRMED" to get Reggie Bush. Had to leave at that point...and haven't visited since. That was just insanely dumb as 90% of that site feasted on insider rumors, as did Snake, till it go so dumb I had to go.

I view PC and the crew there, the Patties and Arrigo's almost like the crew at FF. At FF many people like to do mock drafts/offseasons and pretend/try to predict what is going to happen. But there is no false pretense, everybody knows the deal, it is just a world of make believe. The PC thing OTOH, that group pretends that they have inside info, that they know what is going on behind the scenes, when reality it is no different, just a world of make believe, however their gig is to pretend that it is truth. We used to have a guy like that at PN years ago.

Funny thing is, when you look at the "insiders" and what their predictions are, and look at the groupthink of a large mock draft community, the better members of the mock draft community actually were more accurate, and our draft picks were almost all names frequently kicked around. I mean, we had Lang in the 4th pegged long ago, it was rare to see a FF mock without him in it, yet the "insiders" never saw that one coming.

SnakeLH2006
05-03-2009, 12:38 AM

I view PC and the crew there, the Patties and Arrigo's almost like the crew at FF. At FF many people like to do mock drafts/offseasons and pretend/try to predict what is going to happen. But there is no false pretense, everybody knows the deal, it is just a world of make believe. The PC thing OTOH, that group pretends that they have inside info, that they know what is going on behind the scenes, when reality it is no different, just a world of make believe, however their gig is to pretend that it is truth. We used to have a guy like that at PN years ago.

Funny thing is, when you look at the "insiders" and what their predictions are, and look at the groupthink of a large mock draft community, the better members of the mock draft community actually were more accurate, and our draft picks were almost all names frequently kicked around. I mean, we had Lang in the 4th pegged long ago, it was rare to see a FF mock without him in it, yet the "insiders" never saw that one coming.

It's funny cuz Cheesner and I had a discussion about 2-3 days ago about Arrigo on FF. Waldo is this you on there? What happened with Arrigo? This deserves it's own topic, but alas, here's the link:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314186&view=next

HarveyWallbangers
05-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Hopefully, this guy can win the battle. He has a lot of physical tools.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/recent/

(Allen Barbre workout video)

The video is interesting because it gives you a look inside the training room. I like the huge banners with Packer legends on them... Starr, Nitschke, etc.

RashanGary
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I know. I watched that earlier today. Barbre is a freaking brute. He's the guy I've been hoping wins the RT job. He, Sitton and Spitz would make a pretty damn strong center/right side.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2009, 05:19 PM
It's funny cuz Cheesner and I had a discussion about 2-3 days ago about Arrigo on FF. Waldo is this you on there? What happened with Arrigo? This deserves it's own topic, but alas, here's the link:

Holy crap. He posted pics that weren't his, but implied that they were. And then cooked up a story about how he had permission to post them, but got caught lying?

Crazy.

Joemailman
05-08-2009, 05:32 PM
It's interesting to see how much they have him, and others I'm sure, working on improving mobility, as opposed to just lifting. I wonder if that is much of a change from what was happening before this year.

Rastak
05-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Holy crap. He posted pics that weren't his, but implied that they were. And then cooked up a story about how he had permission to post them, but got caught lying?

Crazy.

I don't read Packerchatters but from I've read here, did this dude get run out of there on a rail?

vince
05-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Crazy.

I don't read Packerchatters but from I've read here, did this dude get run out of there on a rail?
Now that's some funny stuff right there. I (and most everyone else) always knew he was a fraud, but seeing him exposed like that is poetic justice.

vince
05-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Hopefully, this guy can win the battle. He has a lot of physical tools.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/recent/

(Allen Barbre workout video)

The video is interesting because it gives you a look inside the training room. I like the huge banners with Packer legends on them... Starr, Nitschke, etc.
Add me to the list that wants to see Barbre take the RT position this year. He has the skils and temperament you want in a lineman. Not sure if he lacks the cognitive ability to concentrate or keep his temperament or what. I hope he can put it together.

I can't say much about Giaco, but I am a bit concerned about his footspeed. I think Barbre is quicker on his feet and able to be more aggressive without missing his man or getting beat, although I admittedly don't have a lot to go on with the Giacster.

Joemailman
05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
It will be interesting to see what the depth chart looks like at the start of training camp for RT and C. I sure get the impression that MM wants Barbre and Spitz to win those positions. I know they need to win the positions with their play, but I wonder if they'll be #1 on the depth chart at the outset of TC.

cpk1994
05-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Crazy.

I don't read Packerchatters but from I've read here, did this dude get run out of there on a rail?He probably did. Not sure becuae I quit posting there becuase you can get banned if you so mach as sneeze. Also the fact that you need a road map so you post the right info on the right board.

RashanGary
05-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Barbre does appear to be a bit of a rock head. A guy like him could take a couple years to develop. He's had his couple years. Now it's time to find out if he has it.

I like him more at tackle than guard. At guard he has a player to his right and a player to his left to coordinate with. At tackle it seems there are less stunts and less complex line calls. I could be wrong, but with his physical skillset and mental skillset, he might work best at tackle. I'd love it if Sitton and him turn into maulers on the right side. It would really change our offense, especially in the redzone.

swede
05-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Crazy.

I don't read Packerchatters but from I've read here, did this dude get run out of there on a rail?He probably did. Not sure becuae I quit posting there becuase you can get banned if you so mach as sneeze. Also the fact that you need a road map so you post the right info on the right board.

I went there for the first time ever thanks to that link.

OMG!

Arrigo's infamy is nearly universal in blogdom, as is Packerchatter's style.

Here both were right there in your face.

Arrigo: Check out the pics I took.

Everybody: Cool! You Rock!

One Dude: Arrigo, those pics belong to somebody else!

Everybody: There must be some mistake!

Webmaster: This is Packerchatters, we don't say bad things about Arrigo. Final warning! I'll ban you all. And knock off the one word responses cause we don't do that here.

If that site is always like the posts in that thread then I'm glad I'm here. This site rocks compared to that one. In between the hissy fights, juvenile humor and ad hominem attacks there are always chunks of real good Packer stuff.

swede
05-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Barbre does appear to be a bit of a rock head. A guy like him could take a couple years to develop. He's had his couple years. Now it's time to find out if he has it.

I like him more at tackle than guard. At guard he has a player to his right and a player to his left to coordinate with. At tackle it seems there are less stunts and less complex line calls. I could be wrong, but with his physical skillset and mental skillset, he might work best at tackle. I'd love it if Sitton and him turn into maulers on the right side. It would really change our offense, especially in the redzone.

Here's a great peek into his workout. Click the related video to the right.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/05/08/1/