PDA

View Full Version : Drafts Over...now what?

pittstang5
04-30-2009, 09:14 AM
So the draft is over and I think TT and the Packers staff did a real good job picking up some decent starters and developmental players via the draft and undrafted rookies. But, what will be the next step, besides signing these draft picks. I've come up with a couple things that I'd like to see them do.

Priority # 1 - Extend Jennings. I think we all agree that this needs to be done ASAP. I've heard numerous reports that they are working on a deal and I'd like to see this "so-called" deal in place before TC. A couple FA WRs received deals this past year and to me, it should be fairly easy to come up with something for Jennings. Get it done.

Priority # 2 - Sign Tramon Williams. I hear all the time that McCarthy is impressed with this kid. Sign him now while his stock is low. The kid can play, plain and simple.

Priority # 3 - Sign core players that will be FAs after '09. The Packer FA list after '09 is pretty long and includes (I think i got most, if not, at least the ones that I think are somewhat important): R. Martin, Humphrey, Colledge, Moll, Clifton, Spitz, J. Hunter, Jolly, Kampman, Pickett, Blackmon, Bigby, Collins and Peprah

Out of these guys, I'd like to see them sign Colledge, Spitz and Collins prior to TC. With Colledge and Spitz, we already know what we have since the offense isn't changing. Collins is kind of a wild card due to the new system, but I still think he will be fine in this system and I would like to have him extended now, rather than later. At worst, if Collins isn't signed before or during the year, you could always franchise him at the end of the year and it wouldn't cost alot compared to other players that play a premier position.

The rest of the FA group, I clasify into two categories: "I don't care" and Wait and see approach."

I don't care: Humphrey, Moll, Hunter and Peprah. This group has been at the bottom of the depth chart and could be easily replaced.

Wait and See: This is where I think things get tricky. Pickett and Kampman could be beasts in the new Defensive system, but we won't know that until the season starts. I know alot of people are worried about Picketts age, but some DTs get better as they get older. If Kampman and Pickett look good early, sign 'em early. The others; Jolly, Bigby, Martin, Blackmon and Clifton could be signed half way through the season, if warranted and due to their age/position, etc., I don't think will break the bank.

Priority # 4 - Sign a Veteran DE that is familair with this system.

I was a little surpirsed that TT didn't pick up a DE for the 3-4 earlier in the draft. (I know they got a DE in the 6th or 7th round, but i think he's Practice Squad Fodder). Maybe all the ones he was looking at were gone or he didn't like any of them. Looking at the roster, I'm fairly confident in all the positions and depth the Packers have, except DE. They do have some depth, but is it good depth? I'd feel much more confident if the Packers would pick up a DE that is familair with the system and bring some veteran leadership to these guys that have never played this system before. Kevin Carter or Vonnie Holiday; one of them, I'd like to see signed.

That's all I got for now.

Fritz
04-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Re: The Draft is Over - Now What?

1. Watch, wait, and debate Brett Favre - again. Hey, it's the offseason. The draft is over.

2. Speculate and debate what the Pack ought to be doing in terms of FA pickups and contracts. BTW, I agree mostly with your list.

That's what's "now what"!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Packers are apparently looking at Travis LaBoy as an OLB. Personally, I'm okay with LBs now. I'd like to see them look at DEs (get Kevin Carter or Vonnie Holliday on the phone please).

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-10-189/LaBoy--Packers-could-be-a-match.html

sharpe1027
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Good analysis. I would say sign Kampman now. Even if it turns out he can't play OLB, there are no shortage of teams that are in need of a DE that pressure the QB and that is not a liability against the run.

Sign him now and trade him if you have to.

mraynrand
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM

I'm going back to my old job - transcribing what Charles Barkley says during NBA broadcasts for Salon Magazine. I find I am much more effective at my job when falling down drunk.

Guiness
04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Priority # 2 - Sign Tramon Williams. I hear all the time that McCarthy is impressed with this kid. Sign him now while his stock is low. The kid can play, plain and simple.

I think most would like to see this. Problem is, TW doesn't think his stock is low. There was a thread about this earlier, and I think it was said he's looking for FA class money NOW.

MadScientist
04-30-2009, 03:01 PM
It's tougher this year than normal, since TT drafted talent for positions of need without reaching, we don't have the usual head scratching to do. Favre is no longer our concern, so his games don't have the same emotional impact they did last year.

Your list is pretty good for what the Packers need to do, along with sign the rooks before TC. The rest of us will just have to wait for the reports from the rookie camp OTA's and mini camps, and read the mindless puff pieces on the various new players, written so we will feel good rooting for them to make the team.

Joemailman
04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Go fishing.

The Shadow
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Hurry up, training camp!

Fritz
04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Sign Jennings, Collins, Colledge, Spitz, etc.

Sign 'em up! That's what that cap space is for, Teddy!

Joemailman
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Jennings is the priority right now. I don't think he'll extend Collins until he sees if Collins can handle being the quarterback of the defense. He won't sign Spitz until the OL situation is clarified. If Spitz doesn't beat out Wells, he may not be a starter. Colledge will get signed to big bucks. Nothing will happen with Kampman until it is known how he does at OLB. If he doesn't like playing OLB, he may prefer to enter free agency.

Jimx29
04-30-2009, 10:53 PM

Get ready for the 4th season in the last 5 to not make the playoffs.

SnakeLH2006
04-30-2009, 11:48 PM

Jennings is the priority right now. I don't think he'll extend Collins until he sees if Collins can handle being the quarterback of the defense. He won't sign Spitz until the OL situation is clarified. If Spitz doesn't beat out Wells, he may not be a starter. Colledge will get signed to big bucks. Nothing will happen with Kampman until it is known how he does at OLB. If he doesn't like playing OLB, he may prefer to enter free agency.

Snake was gonna post up some analysis, but you hit most of the same thoughts Joe.

I don't see Colledge getting big bucks, as some like him on here, but Snake doesn't see a whole lot outta big Darryn, let's see if the light goes on this year, ala Collins. Wait on Collins and Kampy and Pickett and Spitz to see how they fit in. Pay Jennings (his price just keeps getting higher every day). The only real difference would be to say lock up Blackmon at a cheap long term (5 years $10 million) as he's a dynamite PR beast (hard to find those guys) and tell him some BS that we'll look to groom him at CB (but don't see that happening). Blow some smoke TT. :lol:

RashanGary
05-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Jennings I'd lock up asap.

Then, late in TC, when TT pretty much knows what he has for the year, lock up whatever core guys he wants to keep around for the long term.

Most players will take a fair contract today to not have to risk injury during the season. That's the big benefit of drafting well.

It's a mistake to wait until UFA. Overpaying is overpaying whether it's someone elses or your own. All players get overpaid if they get to UFA so be proactive. Have foresight. Don't be afraid.

Later in camp is the time to get it done though. Once the season starts, players will not negotiate. They just have to get through a couple more weeks and they know the price will go through the roof. WE can wait and pay that "through the roof price", but it will be so expensive that we won't be able to keep other good players and the team will fall short because they hit the cap wall.

Bretsky
05-01-2009, 06:06 PM
we make turtle free agency jokes and hope TT signs a few of these guys to extensions and severealy front loads them for the future. That way we'll have plenty of money for free agency next year...or the next...well, hell, some next year :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
That way we'll have plenty of money for free agency next year...or the next...well, hell, some next year :lol:

No. That way we'll have plenty of money for the next batch of Packers whose contracts are due. Hopefully, he drafts enough guys worth saving the money for.
:D