PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see Favre play for the Vikings?

RashanGary
04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
How do you feel? No riding the fence.

Gunakor
04-30-2009, 02:11 PM
No. Because I'd hate for him to have a bad season, because I'd hate to see the one of the Packer greats running out of the visitors tunnel at Lambeau wearing purple, because I think it's time, and because I think the man should make his decision and stick to it this time.

Of course, that option wasn't included in your poll. So I didn't vote on your poll, but you now have my answer.

mission
04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I voted yes... :wink:

But I do think it would be a stupid decision for Favre and I'd rather not see his legacy tarnished any more. If he does decide that he wants to come back, at that point, then I would be all for it. Fuck it.

RashanGary
04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
There are two that sort of fit. Take the best fit. Polls are not made to show shocking individual detail into how each voter feels.

hoosier
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
I voted yes because the football fan in me likes it when things blow up. On the human side of things it would be a little sad, like seeing your ex girlfriend at a restaurant with your younger brother, but my inner football fan doesn't care about the human side.

Fritz
04-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I voted yes because the football fan in me likes it when things blow up. On the human side of things it would be a little sad, like seeing your ex girlfriend at a restaurant with your younger brother, but my inner football fan doesn't care about the human side.

If, however, you gave your ex-girlfriend herpes, you might not feel so bad.

Therefore, if the Packers gave Brett Favre herpes, I will not feel so bad if I see him at a restaurant with my younger brother. Or if he plays quarterback for the Vikings.

Or something.

ND72
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I picture a Clay/Kampy sandwich...

MadScientist
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
No for two reasons, 1) it will be sad to see him stretch out his career for no good reason, when he doesn't really have it anymore. 2) He's still likely to be an upgrade to the Vikings, and I don't want last year's division winner to get better.

hoosier
04-30-2009, 03:05 PM

If, however, you gave your ex-girlfriend herpes, you might not feel so bad.

Therefore, if the Packers gave Brett Favre herpes, I will not feel so bad if I see him at a restaurant with my younger brother. Or if he plays quarterback for the Vikings.

Or something.

Is boneheadedness contagious? :lol:

Fritz
04-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I picture a Clay/Kampy sandwich...

....I'm feeling uncomfortably excited...

DonHutson
04-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I'd say yes, for none of the reasons listed.

A pair of Favre/Vikings v. Packers matchups would be the most anticipated, highest stakes, most fun, most heated regular season games the Packers have been involved in, in I don't know, maybe ever? Who wouldn't want to see that?

His legacy has nothing to do with it. He'll go down as one of the greatest Packers and one of the best players ever. Another mediocre season won't change that.

I'm not particularly scared of him at this point, but if he does make the Vikes markedly better... so what? I have the same view on the Bears and Cutler. If new QB's make them better, so be it. Then the Packers will just have to play better to beat them. The division is more fun when it's competetive, and I don't think a healthy Packer team needs to take a back seat to any of them.

So I vote yes, simply because it would be fun.

KYPack
04-30-2009, 04:06 PM
I "swung" the vote to the middle with my ballot.

I'm changing it after reading Mission's response.

I vote........ "Fuck it".

Lurker64
04-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Really, I'd prefer that the whole Brett Saga just be not our problem anymore. If he lines up across the field from the Packers, I hope we wipe the field with him. If he plays for a division rival, I hope they finish behind the Packers in the standings. Otherwise, I wish him well.

Cleft Crusty
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
As a completely disinterested reporter, I can imagine nothing more juicy than conducting a post-game chat after Brett Favre leads the Vikings to victory over the Packers in Lambeau field - especially if it means the Bears take the lead in the NFC North. So I vote 'YES!' I might have to load up on extra blood pressure meds before that chat session.

Bossman641
04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
My response is no, but none of the polls convey the way I feel about it. I'm not particularly scared of Favre on the Vikings. He'd be a big upgrade over what they got and I'd never say never with Favre, but his end of year swoons have gotten worse each year and I don't think he could lead them to a SB.

There are a few reasons why I don't want him to play
- Don't want him to embrass himself
- Don't want the Vikings to do good
- Don't want to further tarnish his legacy and have my last image of him being in Viking purple

The biggest reason though is cause I'm sick of the effects Favrewatch 2008 had on the fans and team. I don't want Packer nation to argue about Favre for another year. I'm sick of the TT vs. Favre thing and one side bragging "Favre is god" when he has a good game and the other side responding with "Favre blows" when he has a bad one.

This Packer team deserves to get out from under Favre's shadow. Last offseason was a circus and I'm sure it wore on the team. I don't want them to have to go through another season of being asked about Favre. I don't want to listen to another year of Kornheiser's "everytime Arod takes the field he's playing against the other team and Brett Favre" nonsense. We have a young team that deserves to have its own identity.

So please Brett, just stay home and enjoy your life after football. Mow the yard, cut some trees, throw footballs around with the high school team, and when the time is right; return to Lambeau to retire your number and bask in the cheers you deserve.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2009, 04:22 PM
If he got off his tractor and lost his tractor ass by getting into the gym, rehabbing his arm, and getting into football shape where he could physically make the whole season, where he is commited to play football in 2009 for the team he is playing for instead of some stupid reason like trying to stick it to Ted Thompson.

If he did all that and went to off season workouts with his new teammates than I don't care who he plays for, it is his career and as a fan of his I would tune in.

I would be disappointed though if he did what he did last year, committing to playing football at the end of June. He will probably be a disappointment to whatever team decided to sign him.

SkinBasket
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
As of now, no one cares about Brett's happiness. After everything he gave you people, you should be ashamed.

swede
04-30-2009, 04:45 PM
As of now, no one cares about Brett's happiness. After everything he gave you people, you should be ashamed.

After what Nutz gave you YOU should be ashamed.

SkinBasket
04-30-2009, 04:55 PM

After what Nutz gave you YOU should be ashamed.

I refuse to be ashamed by love, no matter its form.

3irty1
04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I think an option should be "No, I care about him and I want him to be happy."

boiga
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
So I vote yes, simply because it would be fun. This is my take as well. I don't really need to stick it Favre, and I don't really care if he has a good final season or not.

But it would make for some frickin great football games...

Then again, the coverage of those games from the sports networks would be painful beyond belief...

Fritz
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
So I vote yes, simply because it would be fun. This is my take as well. I don't really need to stick it Favre, and I don't really care if he has a good final season or not.

Then again, the coverage of those games from the sports networks would be painful beyond belief...

Thank goodness Tony Kornholer got shitcanned. I would simply turn off the sound if that - what was Nutz's phrase? - that bumblefuck was doing the commentary.

Bretsky
04-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Thank goodness Tony Kornholer got shitcanned. I would simply turn off the sound if that - what was Nutz's phrase? - that bumblefuck was doing the commentary.

Kornhole got canned ?

Gosh they all read Packerrats :!: :!: :lol:

SnakeLH2006
05-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Fuck ya, Snake says..Let him play..even though MJ came back for the Wizards, it was still hilite number one to watch my old idol throw up 50 for the Wizards at 40. The dude is damn entertaining. And he's off the Packers hands now. I loved seeing him play for NJ. Good stuff.

The only downside is CPK will be up for 22 hours a day on Mountain Dew binges and troll out the Favre topics as usual. I don't know what CPK's mom sees in him, though, as that basement stinks of wank, and we already came up with 8 scenarios to dispose of the body. :lol: :shock: :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Brett is probably better than Sage, but I'm not all that concerned about him going to the Vikings. 10 TDs and 18 interceptions after week 4 last year. He's struggled mightily down the stretch the last several years. The one year he worked out like a madman in the offseason (2007) he played at MVP level. The other years he's been pretty average. It's May, he has a bum shoulder, and I doubt he's worked that hard this offseason. I just don't see him winning big games in the playoffs anymore, and that's what would be expected out of him. That being said, Minnesota would be a good situation for him. I just think there'd be more disappointment ahead for him.

woodbuck27
05-01-2009, 07:59 PM
It has to be evident how I voted and I looked for this with my yes vote.

I want him to return with the Vikings so he can best ( or words to that effect ) compete again.

GO PACKERS!

Bretsky
05-01-2009, 08:00 PM
hey wood; nice to see ya around again

vince
05-01-2009, 08:08 PM
And Campbell just seconds behind. This can't turn out well...

GoPackGo
05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
G)No, I don't want to see a person I love playing for the Vikings but if he does come back to avenge Ted Thompson and Coach McCarthy I want to see him get lit up to the tune of 6 turnovers every game he plays the Packers.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2009, 08:15 PM
And Campbell just seconds behind. This can't turn out well...

Hey, I voted "yes" too. But for different reasons.

Packnut
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM
He's spent a lot of his time making me happy, so if coming back makes him happy, why not? Last time i checked, this is The United freakin States of America, ya know life liberty and the pursuit of whatever..........

From a football stand-point, I'm indifferent. Depending on his shoulder, he could make the Vikes a potent offense. We all know Favre and an actual good run game is a dangerous combo.

Ah, whatever. I'm more worried about the progress of Mr Rodgers than anything or anyone else.

Partial
05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Brett is probably better than Sage, but I'm not all that concerned about him going to the Vikings. 10 TDs and 18 interceptions after week 4 last year. He's struggled mightily down the stretch the last several years. The one year he worked out like a madman in the offseason (2007) he played at MVP level. The other years he's been pretty average. It's May, he has a bum shoulder, and I doubt he's worked that hard this offseason. I just don't see him winning big games in the playoffs anymore, and that's what would be expected out of him. That being said, Minnesota would be a good situation for him. I just think there'd be more disappointment ahead for him.

Dude, no offense, but he's a football player for 20-something year. He's not going to be so horrendously out of shape that a few weeks can't get him back into game shape.

The key would be to start NOW and build up towards camp. There is plenty of time until late July.

I'm not saying whether he should or shouldn't play, but this notion that he's not in "game shape" is crazy talk. Guy was a professional athlete for 18? years. Played football for probably 25 straight now. You anaerobic capacity doesn't just completely go away. He'll be able to build back up in a month or two no doubt about it, then he'd still have plenty of time to ramp down to avoid overworking the CNS.

MJZiggy
05-01-2009, 08:40 PM

Dude, no offense, but he's a football player for 20-something year. He's not going to be so horrendously out of shape that a few weeks can't get him back into game shape.

The key would be to start NOW and build up towards camp. There is plenty of time until late July.

I'm not saying whether he should or shouldn't play, but this notion that he's not in "game shape" is crazy talk. Guy was a professional athlete for 18? years. Played football for probably 25 straight now. You anaerobic capacity doesn't just completely go away. He'll be able to build back up in a month or two no doubt about it, then he'd still have plenty of time to ramp down to avoid overworking the CNS.

Talk to me about it again when you turn 40.

highlander
05-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Lagacy? His llegacy is and will always be!! People stop pretending if he comes back it will hurt his legacy. It will not. That being said I will dislike him as I do any Viking, I will wish the Packers to intercept and sack him as many times as possible. However I will always consider him a Packer. IMO it would be a stupid move by him but heck it is his call after all.

The Leaper
05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't care what Favre does. At this point in his career, the only place he would've produced any real returns was in Green Bay...where he knew the system and knew the receivers.

The notion that he can step into an entire new situation with different faces and schemes and produce an MVP season is laughable. That was proven in NY, and it will be proven again if he attempts to play in Minnesota.

hoosier
05-01-2009, 08:54 PM

Somebody doesn't have much of a clue about how conditioning works. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm glad to see most voted "yes", they're not afraid to see Favre take a risk and have some more fun.

Also glad to see the greatest chunk of those yes voters want to see the Packers beat him up. These are good people. Packer people.

Harlan Huckleby
05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't care what Favre does. At this point in his career, the only place he would've produced any real returns was in Green Bay...where he knew the system and knew the receivers.

Montana was effective his first year at KC, and I believe he was coming off injury.

Favre played last season with poor off-season conditioning, as Nutz was preaching. IF he works his butt off, he can still be effective.

MJZiggy
05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I didn't vote but I would have voted no. If he does well, it works against my team. If he does poorly, the QB that I watched for nearly 20 years becomes the very thing he didn't want to be--the guy who stuck around a year too long. This time last year, maybe I'd have been angry enough to wish that on him, but time tempers things I guess.

Partial
05-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Clearly you don't. You think his V02 max dropped that much? Do you even know what that is? Facts back up the fact that his anaerobic capabilities shouldn't have decreased THAT much. Dude has two months. Do crossfit workouts 5 days a week for two months at as hard of a pace as you can.. you'll be in fine game shape.

Take Lance Armstrong for example. Guy is an elite athlete, can easily switch sports and run a marathon (much lower intensity exercise) than the Tour, and he'll likely come back and win the tour. Why? Because his anaerobic capacity is out of this world, and that doesn't just go away immediately once its not trained for a few weeks. It can quickly be brought back up to speed.

MJZiggy
05-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Clearly you don't. You think his V02 max dropped that much? Do you even know what that is? Facts back up the fact that his anaerobic capabilities shouldn't have decreased THAT much. Dude has two months. Do crossfit workouts 5 days a week for two months at as hard of a pace as you can.. you'll be in fine game shape.

No, YOU might be. As we age, we tend to lose muscle max and conditioning naturally. Sitting on your ass for a couple months means double to make up at his age. Why do you think 40 year old men time worse in races, etc. even if they keep up the conditioning? And don't really call it two months either. He was in nowhere near the shape this last season as the season before.

Gunakor
05-01-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm glad to see most voted "yes", they're not afraid to see Favre take a risk and have some more fun.

Also glad to see the greatest chunk of those yes voters want to see the Packers beat him up. These are good people. Packer people.

Well, I didn't vote because the reason why I'd vote the way I would isn't included in one of the poll options. I'd vote no, because I just want him to retire. I'm not scared of him, I don't think he'd have too much success against our secondary. I just don't want him coming back this time. He made his decision - again - and I want him to stick to it this time. Because threads like this one will inevitably be started thousands of times over until he is gone.

I want Packer fans talking about the Packers. I don't want to see a great wall of Favre topics on the front page of the Packers forum again. I don't want an *OFFICIAL BRETT THE VIKING" thread - here especially, at my favorite Packer site. I'm sick of the wedge that's been driven through the heart of Packer Nation as well as our own community here at PR. I want it to end, and that won't happen until Favre's career officially ends. I'd rather enjoy the company of fellow Packer fans discussing our own team than be around a split crowd discussing Brett Favre in a goddamn VIKINGS uniform. It couldn't be any more fun than when he was in a Jets uniform. Since he's decided to retire - twice - I want him to retire.

hoosier
05-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Take Lance Armstrong for example. Guy is an elite athlete, can easily switch sports and run a marathon (much lower intensity exercise) than the Tour, and he'll likely come back and win the tour. Why? Because his anaerobic capacity is out of this world, and that doesn't just go away immediately once its not trained for a few weeks. It can quickly be brought back up to speed.

Vo2 max isn't anaerobic, it's aerobic capacity. But why are we even discussing Vo2max? You're not an expert in exercise physiology and neither am I. But I do know my 40 year old body. I run 40 miles a week. If I stop doing that for three months, I'm not going to be in any condition to go pick it up just like that.

Harlan Huckleby
05-01-2009, 09:22 PM
The reason why swimmers generally peak so early is because that sport is all about .... whatever. metabolism.

Partial
05-01-2009, 09:29 PM

No, YOU might be. As we age, we tend to lose muscle max and conditioning naturally. Sitting on your ass for a couple months means double to make up at his age. Why do you think 40 year old men time worse in races, etc. even if they keep up the conditioning? And don't really call it two months either. He was in nowhere near the shape this last season as the season before.

I completely agree. That's why it takes the young guys a couple of weeks. You're crazy if you think a world class athlete is suddenly out of shape, slow, etc in just a few months. Do you think he sat on his hands the entire time? No, he's probably out doing things, moving around, etc etc.

That stuff would come back to a premiere athlete quick, no matter what.

Hoosier, V02 max is an excellent indicator of ones ability to push hard for long periods of time. Take Tabata and HIIT, which are the two acitivities that really increase V02 max. What are they? Highly anaerobic acitivities. Premiere athletes body's are more efficient.

There is little doubt that Favre could easily get into 2007 shape in the next two months. Not a doubt in my mind.

MJZiggy
05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
P, the problem is not that it takes longer for older people to get it back when they start training. The problem is that it never comes back. Don't you wonder why there are age brackets in races? Because as the body ages, it loses athleticism. A 40-year old cannot run like a 20-year old no matter how much they train. That is why most players don't play into their 40's. But of course you know more about what it feels like to be 40 than a 40-year old, right?

You are assuming that since he was a pro athlete he has been keeping active, but that is only an assumption. He's had an injury and retired and could very well be using these things as reasons to take some couch time. You don't know for sure so your guess is nothing more than a guess.

Joemailman
05-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Why does anyone think Favre would be better in 2009 than the broken down guy we saw at the end of 2008? I'm not trying to be mean or trollish, but it was pretty bad down the stretch. Even the greatest players, and he's one of 'em, reach the end of the line. He's there.

Oscar
05-01-2009, 10:01 PM
For some strange reason I feel the need to read the Jake the Snake thread again.... :lol:

sheepshead
05-01-2009, 10:23 PM
In a chat at NFL.com, Saints safety Darren Sharper expressed a belief that former Green Bay teammate Brett Favre will play one more season.

“I’m not surprised by the recent Brett Favre returning talk,” Sharper said. “I believe will Brett will try to play another season, because he’s such a competitor and he still loves football.”

And the signs currently point to Favre joining the team with which Sharper spent the last four seasons — the Vikings.

But even if Sharper had known that he’d possibly be reunited with Favre, it sounds like Sharper had no chance of staying in Minnesota.

“Talks with the Vikings pretty much stalled after the season and that let me know they were going to move on without me,” Sharper said. “So it made the decision easy.”

I agree.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Wheres the 'I wish it was 2007 still option.'

That was the last time that truly enjoyed watching football. This past year I did not enjoy watching football like in the past.

Nothing to do with Rodgers, just how I feel. I can't help how I feel.

Partial
05-01-2009, 11:18 PM
P, the problem is not that it takes longer for older people to get it back when they start training. The problem is that it never comes back. Don't you wonder why there are age brackets in races? Because as the body ages, it loses athleticism. A 40-year old cannot run like a 20-year old no matter how much they train. That is why most players don't play into their 40's. But of course you know more about what it feels like to be 40 than a 40-year old, right?

You are assuming that since he was a pro athlete he has been keeping active, but that is only an assumption. He's had an injury and retired and could very well be using these things as reasons to take some couch time. You don't know for sure so your guess is nothing more than a guess.

Tell that to Dana Torres. Or Nolan Ryan. Or Rodger Clements. And on and on and on..

Couch time or not, the body doesn't go completely to hell in 3-4 months. The guy is still in better shape than everyone on this board I'm sure, and easily could get back into his elite shape in 2-2.5 months.

SnakeLH2006
05-02-2009, 01:08 AM

Tell that to Dana Torres. Or Nolan Ryan. Or Rodger Clements. And on and on and on..

Couch time or not, the body doesn't go completely to hell in 3-4 months. The guy is still in better shape than everyone on this board I'm sure, and easily could get back into his elite shape in 2-2.5 months.

This may all be true Partial about his game shape at 40, and I'm not disagreeing with the fact that he may be able to play "effectively" not elite type, but a game manager with hot streaks like an old John Elway with a good D and RB late in his career...possible, definitely, as Snake would never bet against Brett, as he's defied the odds over and over.

It's just one little thing, that bother's Snake that you may be forgetting....He's got a bum throwing arm (that looks like it may require surgery which Brett doesn't like). Until he did something with that arm, it looks moot he'd be able to play this year no matter how good of cardio shape he's in. 8-)

Then again, I'm sure Ziggy is willing to send in the top docs in the NFL to get him up and running, as Childress just acknowledged that they'll discuss him today. If there wasn't a real interest, they would say, we have no interest, so indeed, where there's smoke there is fire. If something happens, it happens soon, so they can treat his arm and get him into a full offseason program unlike last year (as Favre fell out of shape/conditioning which likely led to his shoulder injury or at least contributed to it).

SMACKTALKIE
05-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Question: If Favre played a season would he break Jim Marshalls (non-kicker) consecutive games played record?

If so does anyone see any irony in the idea of him doing so in a Vikings uniform?

Maybe a good reason not to sign him. I for one don't want it to happen.

SnakeLH2006
05-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Question: If Favre played a season would he break Jim Marshalls (non-kicker) consecutive games played record?

If so does anyone see any irony in the idea of him doing so in a Vikings uniform?

Yes, Snake posted it several times, but Favre is at 269, Marshall at 270, thus Brett would need to start game 1 to tie him and game 2 to break the all-time record (regardless of position) for consecutive games played in the NFL. Pretty nuts for a QB though.

And since I'm on this post, wouldn't you as a Vike fan, want Favre (through a full offseason, unlike the Jets thing 2 weeks before the season...where Brett looked beastly early but tailed off due to poor conditioning)? Just wondering. Those QB's look dreadful in the Twin Cities yo.

Fritz
05-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Well, I didn't vote because the reason why I'd vote the way I would isn't included in one of the poll options. I'd vote no, because I just want him to retire. I'm not scared of him, I don't think he'd have too much success against our secondary. I just don't want him coming back this time. He made his decision - again - and I want him to stick to it this time. Because threads like this one will inevitably be started thousands of times over until he is gone.

I want Packer fans talking about the Packers. I don't want to see a great wall of Favre topics on the front page of the Packers forum again. I don't want an *OFFICIAL BRETT THE VIKING" thread - here especially, at my favorite Packer site. I'm sick of the wedge that's been driven through the heart of Packer Nation as well as our own community here at PR. I want it to end, and that won't happen until Favre's career officially ends. I'd rather enjoy the company of fellow Packer fans discussing our own team than be around a split crowd discussing Brett Favre in a goddamn VIKINGS uniform. It couldn't be any more fun than when he was in a Jets uniform. Since he's decided to retire - twice - I want him to retire.

Man, when I read that line, I realized suddenly that Brett Favre is like a flippin' vampire...

Parital, as for asking Dana Torres, I volunteer to do that. I'd be happy to, really. She's completely hot, completely cool, and completely smart. And I'm single. Guess I'd have to let her decide how hot/cool/smart I am....

MJZiggy
05-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Drew is totally gonna kick your ass.

Fritz
05-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Drew is totally gonna kick your ass.

Yes, the internet really is a place of fantasy, isn't it?!?!?

MJZiggy
05-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Hey, I'm 5'9" on here...

Fritz
05-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I've generally found that tall women wish they were shorter, and shorter women wish they were taller.

I would generalize and say most men don't care so much about the height...it's other features they are more focused on...

dabootski
05-02-2009, 09:45 AM
no. because i don't want to watch my favorite sports player of all-time play for my most hated team. it would also force me to cheer against him and want him to fail and that is something i never want to do. any other (non-NFC North) team and i'm all for it. you only live once and if he feels the need to comeback then he should scratch that itch. so long as it isn't with the fucking vikings.

mngolf19
05-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm fine with it if he is better than the current options. Just not sure he is. Childress is make or break this season. He has to look at every possibility. Now last year he showed a willingness to go with a hot hand during the season, and I expect he will do the same thing this year if need be. So if Favre can be ready for any portion of the season, and is ok with that role, then I suspect he'll be a Viking. They would have said no if they didn't want him. But they also won't take him if he can't produce at a higher level for at least some portion of the season.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm fine with it if he is better than the current options. Just not sure he is. Childress is make or break this season. He has to look at every possibility. Now last year he showed a willingness to go with a hot hand during the season, and I expect he will do the same thing this year if need be. So if Favre can be ready for any portion of the season, and is ok with that role, then I suspect he'll be a Viking. They would have said no if they didn't want him. But they also won't take him if he can't produce at a higher level for at least some portion of the season.

I suspect he'd look reasonable for about 10 games.

cpk1994
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm fine with it if he is better than the current options. Just not sure he is. Childress is make or break this season. He has to look at every possibility. Now last year he showed a willingness to go with a hot hand during the season, and I expect he will do the same thing this year if need be. So if Favre can be ready for any portion of the season, and is ok with that role, then I suspect he'll be a Viking. They would have said no if they didn't want him. But they also won't take him if he can't produce at a higher level for at least some portion of the season.Even if they don't want him to begin with, it's not a bad idea to do due dilligence.

GrnBay007
05-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised to see there are only 18 Favre Haters on the site to date. I thought there were more at PR. I guess it just seemed that way because they have always been so vocal. :D

gex
05-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised to see there are only 18 Favre Haters on the site to date. I thought there were more at PR. I guess it just seemed that way because they have always been so vocal. :D

30 votes for him vs 18 against at this moment in time.

However, a casual reader could never tell because those 18 kinda have an agenda to post as much negativity as they can about past Green Bay Packer greats.

GrnBay007
05-02-2009, 11:59 AM

However, a casual reader could never tell because those 18 kinda have an agenda to post as much negativity as they can about past Green Bay Packer greats.

Yep! And not only that I would bet my last dollar that most all of those "haters" will be puffing out their chests down the road when Favre is inducted to the HOF remembering fond memories of him and how they always supported him. LOL

dabootski
05-02-2009, 12:23 PM

not a favre-hater by any means. he's my favorite athlete ever. just don't want to see him in a purple uniform playing against my favorite team.

Gunakor
05-02-2009, 12:24 PM

If I want him to disappear so things can get back to normal HERE, does that make me a Favre hater? I mean, isn't it reasonable that I want the Favre induced separation of Packer fans to end much more than I'd want to see Favre play another down for yet another team? It's no fun watching Favre play elsewhere, but even if it was, it still wouldn't be fun to have every discussion here becoming a Favre debate. And it will, especially if he were to come back to play for the Vikings.

It's not that I think he can't play. It's not that I'm afraid he'll beat us. It's not because I don't want to see his face anymore. It's because I want the two sides of Packer Nation thing to end, and that won't happen until Favre is done playing. That's a fact. For that reason alone, he needs to go away and he needs to do it now. The next time I want to see his face is when he's standing next to his bust in Canton in August 2014. By then hopefully the conflict this whole situation has caused within our community will have died down completely.

MJZiggy
05-02-2009, 12:25 PM

not a favre-hater by any means. he's my favorite athlete ever. just don't want to see him in a purple uniform playing against my favorite team.

Exactly. No good could come of it.

gex
05-02-2009, 12:29 PM

If I want him to disappear so things can get back to normal HERE, does that make me a Favre hater? I mean, isn't it reasonable that I want the Favre induced separation of Packer fans to end much more than I'd want to see Favre play another down for yet another team? It's no fun watching Favre play elsewhere, but even if it was, it still wouldn't be fun to have every discussion here becoming a Favre debate. And it will, especially if he were to come back to play for the Vikings.

It's not that I think he can't play. It's not that I'm afraid he'll beat us. It's not because I don't want to see his face anymore. It's because I want the two sides of Packer Nation thing to end, and that won't happen until Favre is done playing. That's a fact. For that reason alone, he needs to go away and he needs to do it now. The next time I want to see his face is when he's standing next to his bust in Canton in August 2014. By then hopefully the conflict this whole situation has caused within our community will have died down completely.

For a lot of people up here that won't happen untill the current Packer management is gone.

Gunakor
05-02-2009, 12:31 PM

For a lot of people up here that won't happen untill the current Packer management is gone.

Oh, great. So it still revolves around the Favre divorce, but it won't end with Favre's retirement. And if current management wins without Favre they'll be here for a while, so this thing could be dragged out forever.

Fuck me, I wish I was a Bears fan right now...

SMACKTALKIE
05-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Yes, Snake posted it several times, but Favre is at 269, Marshall at 270, thus Brett would need to start game 1 to tie him and game 2 to break the all-time record (regardless of position) for consecutive games played in the NFL. Pretty nuts for a QB though.

And since I'm on this post, wouldn't you as a Vike fan, want Favre (through a full offseason, unlike the Jets thing 2 weeks before the season...where Brett looked beastly early but tailed off due to poor conditioning)? Just wondering. Those QB's look dreadful in the Twin Cities yo.

I'm just concerned about his ability to make it a full season. I also don't like the possible upset in team chemistry.

But....................... if he joined the Vikes it would'nt be the end of the world.

MJZiggy
05-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Oh, great. So it still revolves around the Favre divorce, but it won't end with Favre's retirement. And if current management wins without Favre they'll be here for a while, so this thing could be dragged out forever.

Fuck me, I wish I was a Bears fan right now... See Maxie? Now this is a perfect example of masochism...to wish something so ugly upon oneself...!

Pugger
05-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I voted no but because the thought of Brett wearing that purple uniform is repugnant to me big time! :P But until his arm/shoulder heals he won't be playing for anybody any time soon.

retailguy
05-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Well said Gunakor. I guess if you're a hater, I am too, for this is largely how I feel also.

Gunakor
05-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Fuck me, I wish I was a Bears fan right now... See Maxie? Now this is a perfect example of masochism...to wish something so ugly upon oneself...!

You know their fans gotta be loving this though. They just got themselves a quarterback. And even though we still have a pretty good one here, half our fans just can't let the old one go. They claim it's Thompson, but no matter how many good decisions Thompson makes during his time here he'll never be good enough because he's the one who traded Favre. Which tells me that it really IS about Favre, even to them.

The rift this has caused between our fan base makes me ashamed to be a Packer fan at all. I'd rather be a Bears fan enjoying the hell out of this than a Packer fan being frustrated by it.

MJZiggy
05-02-2009, 01:18 PM
No, Gunakor, I know what you're saying, I hate the rift as well--though admittedly not to the point of wishing Bear fanhood on myself. I was making an attempt at lighthearted humor in response to a discussion going on elsewhere...

Like I've posted before--I don't want him playing for the Vikes because if he does well, he's playing against my team and I have to root against him; if he does poorly he becomes what he never wanted to be, that is, the guy who stuck around one year too long.

Bretsky
05-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Favre can do with he wants to and I'd wish him serenity in whatever he decides

Merlin
05-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Fuck ya, Snake says..Let him play..even though MJ came back for the Wizards, it was still hilite number one to watch my old idol throw up 50 for the Wizards at 40. The dude is damn entertaining. And he's off the Packers hands now. I loved seeing him play for NJ. Good stuff.

The only downside is CPK will be up for 22 hours a day on Mountain Dew binges and troll out the Favre topics as usual. I don't know what CPK's mom sees in him, though, as that basement stinks of wank, and we already came up with 8 scenarios to dispose of the body. :lol: :shock: :roll:

I agree...

He was fun to watch last year and it's unfortunate that he did play poorly, but that isn' all on Favre. The Jets collapsed as a team and so did the coaching staff. It would be very hard to bite the bullet and buy a purple jersey. Maybe they will offer a red practice one somewhere...

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I voted no, and the main reason is that I would hate to see him come back primarily to stick it to the Packers. I don't think that's a very noble way to go out if those rumors ever did prove to be true. I would probably root for him to be successful, but not if that meant hurting the Packers.

SnakeLH2006
05-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Favre can do with he wants to and I'd wish him serenity in whatever he decides

QFT Bret. Seems like division, but many of has softened (as did Snake) and several others carry agendas one way or the other, but I as a man can say this:

Snake loves Brett Favre (would love to see him keep playing). I love our QB now ARod (the sky is the limit, young, talented, leader...face of our franchise at least till BJ takes over on D :lol: , but no he's 10x the guy I thought he'd be, and am happy). TT (overall very happy with the NEED draft with value, and feel he can help us win this year and in the future).

I for one, have no issues with any of those 3 parties, as the divorce is over so move on...Very few radically extreme posters keep bashing on any one party, but they know who they are and look weak. I support all 3 and again, everyone is entitled to their opinion as this is what makes the Rats the BEST Packer forum, free speech. All 3 have issues, all 3 deserve a pass this year no matter how it turns out. They've all earned that.

gex
05-03-2009, 01:31 AM
I feel almost the exact same way Snake, I'm very happy w/ A-rod, would love to see The Legend give it 1 more go, really liked TT's draft this year and what he did for the defense coaching. I'm not a big TT fan as to how he goes about business and his overall win/loss record, but this year will have a big say in that. Drives me crazy when people talk shit about Packer greats like they never did anything for the team. I love Packer football(been sporting the G on my shoulder since '95 and show it off w/pride) and all the tradition that comes w/ it.

SnakeLH2006
05-03-2009, 02:00 AM
I feel almost the exact same way Snake, I'm very happy w/ A-rod, would love to see The Legend give it 1 more go, really liked TT's draft this year and what he did for the defense coaching. I'm not a big TT fan as to how he goes about business and his overall win/loss record, but this year will have a big say in that. Drives me crazy when people talk shit about Packer greats like they never did anything for the team. I love Packer football(been sporting the G on my shoulder since '95 and show it off w/pride) and all the tradition that comes w/ it.

Kinda what I was saying and very few Rats (mostly trolls) give you shit for your Pro-Favre alliance. I was there a year ago, but softened on it much. He's his own man, so is Arod, and even TT.

I definitely support all 3 no matter what. Some have thrown Favre under the bus, based on his "selfishness" but really it is "competitiveness". He just wants to play and win. Maybe he's been sheisty lately, but he knows he's at the end. With this age of Internet blogs, "he said she said" BS it's foolish to turn your back on Brett based on some hysterics, thus I still love the guy, and DO support him no matter what. He's the Michael Jordan guy I root for no matter what he does of THIS era.

Bottom line ARod is OUR QB, so he's the #1 in support no matter what and had a good statistical season and WILL get better.

TT...Snake's been back and forth, but he means well and does well overall, and really have been pleased with this draft/offseason...but you are right, winning is everything and we'd be dumb to forget/misdiagnose that Favre was a huge reason we went to the playoffs just about every year, and are now 1 for 4 the last four years under Ted. Is Ted the reason, no....Brett was getting older, Shermy sucked at GM, but really this is a make or break as we as Packer fans expect to win EVERY year after the Holmy/Favre/even Shermy era.

You, Gex mean well and will ALWAYS be pro Brett, but again, some want his downfall no matter what. Kinda sad, as Snake looks at it as half-full, half-empty, but he was the man that got us this far as a franchise and WON'T forget that. Always will be Snake's hero (Brett) but I've moved on and don't place blame with the divorce and think Arod is a beast now. I'm pretty happy with the current Pack team but alas, would still like to see Brett play (the NFL fan and Brett fan) regardless. It is possible to support Brett, Arod, and TT....as Snake endorses this post.

th87
05-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Favre is entitled to play football. Nobody can stop him from doing that. Favre is also entitled to go play for the Vikings.

However, it just seems to contradict his "good guy" image when he admitted that he wanted to stick it to BTT (that's for you, Larry Harris) by specifically seeking out the Vikings.

Therefore, to get Ted back, he's not only slapping him in the face, but also his legions of fans that thought he'd be a loyal Packer for life. Overkill, I think. It's like trying to use a gun to kill a mosquito on your arm.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. The storylines would be absurd. But those childhood memories will always have an asterisk by them - it'd be kind of like a kid learning there was no Santa Claus.

SnakeLH2006
05-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Favre is entitled to play football. Nobody can stop him from doing that. Favre is also entitled to go play for the Vikings.

However, it just seems to contradict his "good guy" image when he admitted that he wanted to stick it to BTT (that's for you, Larry Harris) by specifically seeking out the Vikings.

Therefore, to get Ted back, he's not only slapping him in the face, but also his legions of fans that thought he'd be a loyal Packer for life. Overkill, I think. It's like trying to use a gun to kill a mosquito on your arm.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. The storylines would be absurd. But those childhood memories will always have an asterisk by them -

it'd be kind of like a kid learning there was no Santa Claus.

Is everyone using Snake's coinphrase BTT now? Damn TT aka Big Time Teddy (BTT) only gave Snake that after "Scotch Nite" when we got wasted after day one of the draft. Acknowledge Snake for it, but alas, who cares, yo? Brett is off our hands now. He's just another player as he'll retire a Packer, be HOF Packer, etc. Let him play and who cares how it ends up. I for one (Snake) is pretty happy to see him play much like MJ with the Wizards (doubt he proves anything) but damn happy to see an idol play on, cuz they bring/brought so many good memories I will NOT care who it is for. Just love seeing them play. 8-)

Edit: and by the way, Larry Harris...For anyone wondering why it's SnakeLH2006 (and have never explained it), cuz that is when I joined PR 3 years ago and Larry Harris was the SNAKE of the Bucks (called out by several players and wanted to see him done in for his sheisty ass shit).....for a new poster to pick up on that after 3 years is awesome. Larry Harris is gone, but that was my mindset back then...thought about changing the PR name, but it fits. I AM SNAKE.

th87
05-03-2009, 03:17 AM

Though I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. The storylines would be absurd. But those childhood memories will always have an asterisk by them -

it'd be kind of like a kid learning there was no Santa Claus.

Is everyone using Snake's coinphrase BTT now? Damn TT aka Big Time Teddy (BTT) only gave Snake that after "Scotch Nite" when we got wasted after day one of the draft. Acknowledge Snake for it, but alas, who cares, yo? Brett is off our hands now. He's just another player as he'll retire a Packer, be HOF Packer, etc. Let him play and who cares how it ends up. I for one (Snake) is pretty happy to see him play much like MJ with the Wizards (doubt he proves anything) but damn happy to see an idol play on, cuz they bring/brought so many good memories I will NOT care who it is for. Just love seeing them play. 8-)

Edit: and by the way, Larry Harris...For anyone wondering why it's SnakeLH2006 (and have never explained it), cuz that is when I joined PR 3 years ago and Larry Harris was the SNAKE of the Bucks (called out by several players and wanted to see him done in for his sheisty ass shit).....for a new poster to pick up on that after 3 years is awesome. Larry Harris is gone, but that was my mindset back then...thought about changing the PR name, but it fits. I AM SNAKE.

To be fair, the sheisty shit that Harris was held responsible for was actually orchestrated by Herb Kohl. LH took the blame. Plus Kohl would always meddle.

A few years before, LH had a deal in place to send Mo Williams and Magloire, I believe, for Boozer and the pick that became Ronnie Brewer (this was when Boozer was an injury risk). Kohl said no. Some time later, he had a trade in place to send the Yi Jianlian pick for Shawn Marion. Again Kohl said no. So I always thought the criticism he got wasn't always warranted.

I wouldn't say I'm new though. I'd been in the JS game from like 2004.