PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Situation

Partial
05-01-2009, 12:03 AM
If you were the Lions GM picking #1 knowing its a long rebuilding process and you're a horrendous team, who would you have chosen and why.

I'm going to ponder this tonight and make a post about it tomorrow.

mission
05-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I thought this situation actually happened.

Oh, *I'm* the GM ...

BJ Raji.

Championship!

boiga
05-01-2009, 12:25 AM
That's simple enough. You trade out of #1 and overstock on mid round picks to start the gradual process of completely overhauling your roster. You live with slow improvement while building up the trenches.

Then, once you have an O-line worthy of protecting him and a defense that can put him back on the field, you draft an early round QB.

Stafford's screwed once they kick Daunte out around game 5.

BallHawk
05-01-2009, 12:33 AM
That's simple enough. You trade out of #1 and overstock on mid round picks to start the gradual process of completely overhauling your roster. You live with slow improvement while building up the trenches.

Easier said than done. With the money teams have to give to #1 overall picks these days unless the player is once in a decade than it's not worth the money any team would have to pay. Alex Smith, anyone? Add in the picks that would have to be traded and it ends up being way too much of a hassle for any GM.

If I was the GM I'd take Crabtree just so I could screw the the minds of Lions fans already too familiar with drafting WRs.

Maxie the Taxi
05-01-2009, 07:32 AM
If you were the Lions GM picking #1 knowing its a long rebuilding process and you're a horrendous team, who would you have chosen and why.

Easy. I'd chose another GM and then resign. Reasons should be obvious.

mraynrand
05-01-2009, 07:37 AM

Easy. I'd chose another GM and then resign. Reasons should be obvious.

And the winner is..Maxi the Taxi!

sheepshead
05-01-2009, 07:38 AM
OMG--haven't we had enough of this?

RashanGary
05-01-2009, 07:53 AM
The amount of money that guy gets, it's a no win. Maybe, just maybe you hit a HOFer and you pay him like one from day one and it all works out. I'd say most of the time the first pick, even if he's really good, never lives up to his top 10 NFL paycheck.

Partial
05-01-2009, 08:53 AM
You guys suck balls for the most part. It's a hypothetical situation and you have to make a choice. No trading down and no worrying about money.

With that said, I have it narrowed down to Curry, Crabtree, Stafford, Smith and Smith. Really tough call imo as I'm not super high on Stafford.

KYPack
05-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Sometimes they are worth it, other years no way.

This year, I would have traded down, but I got the idea nobody would do that for the Lions.

I'll take a stab at rating 'em since '97, when the 1 pick got big money:

Year Player Position School Team Years Played Pro Bowls
2008 Jake Long OT Michigan Miami Dolphins 1 1 (Too early to tell)
2007 JaMarcus Russell QB LSU Oakland Raiders 2 0 (Early but I say NFW)
2006 Mario Williams DE N. Carolina State Houston Texans 3 1 (qualified yes)
2005 Alex Smith QB Utah San Francisco 49ers 4 0 (NFFFFW)
2004 Eli Manning QB Mississippi San Diego Chargers 5 1 (SB says yes)
2003 Carson Palmer QB Southern Cal. Cincinnati Bengals 6 2 (Yes)
2002 David Carr QB Fresno State Houston Texans 7 0 (NFFFFW)
2001 Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons 6 3 (Yes you may kill me now)
2000 Courtney Brown DE Penn State Cleveland Browns 7 0 (NFFFFW)
1999 Tim Couch QB Kentucky Cleveland Browns 6 0 (NFFFFW)
1998 Peyton Manning QB Tennessee Indianapolis Colts 11 9 (Hell yes)
1997 Orlando Pace OT Ohio State St. Louis Rams 12 7 (yes)

12 years 6 yeses, 5 no's and one embryo. Long probably is a yes, so 7-5. I think you have to take the shot, but some years trade down if you can. The money is out of whack, that is one constant.

Gunakor
05-01-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm going to ponder this tonight and make a post about it tomorrow.

Aaron Curry, for two reasons.

One, drafting curry to play middle linebacker would make that LB corps one of the scariest in the NFL. Curry in the middle, flanked on one side by Julian Peterson, and the other by Ernie Sims. That's way, way better than average.

Two, the crop of QB's in this year's draft class is nothing - absolutely nothing - compared to next year's draft class. If you have all those picks, try to move a couple of them from this years class and pick up an additional first rounder in next draft, where the top of the draft has far better QB's. Start Culpepper this season, then get Tebow or McCoy in next years draft, both far better QB's than Stafford IMO.

Fritz
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
No one wanted that #1 pick. No one. Too much money.

I'd have drafted Curry, then started drafting down to pick up extra picks. I think Delmas was good, but outside of that I would've gone after a couple of offensive tackles, a couple of defensive linemen, and maybe taken some fliers late with skill positions - corners and such.

Build from the inside out, then next year look for your QB. Draft him, and sit his rookie butt on the pine for at least one year. No less. Then when he does play in year two, he's got some talent around him.

Joemailman
05-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bey, just to see what Al Davis would do.

Bretsky
05-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Anybody see Matt Ryan last year ? :!:

If you think the QB is special go with the QB. Because next year one might not be there when you are picking

If you are not fone of him; I'd agree with the Curry Pick

Tyrone Bigguns
05-01-2009, 07:07 PM

If you think the QB is special go with the QB. Because next year one might not be there when you are picking

Yes i did..and a poor comparison tween the Lions and the falcons.

There are always QBs available..free agent, trade, draft....the only question is the price to be paid.

As for Ty...i would call Millen on the phone during the draft...let him tell me who he would pick...then, do the exact opposite. Foolproof.

Freak Out
05-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Without the option of trading down I would have taken the OT Smith first and then probably gone defense with the 2nd first round pick.

Bretsky
05-01-2009, 07:41 PM

There are always QBs available..free agent, trade, draft....the only question is the price to be paid.

As for Ty...i would call Millen on the phone during the draft...let him tell me who he would pick...then, do the exact opposite. Foolproof.

I never compared the Lions to the Falcons; where did you see that ? I gave an example of how valuable the top QB from a draft class can have on a team.

SnakeLH2006
05-02-2009, 02:21 AM

Oh, *I'm* the GM ...

BJ Raji.

Championship!

AHAHAHHAHA!!! Yes, Mission, if you followed one of Snake's other posts recently, that is why we are burning one with BJ in heaven, having him retell his Super Bowl 50 MVP performance for us. LMFAO! :lol:

wist43
05-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Probably would have gone J. Smith... and looked defense the rest of the way.

They took Pettigrew with the 20th pick, even if he's a good player, I wouldn't consider him a building block. Have to build both lines first, and defense overall.

Don't know what their OL situation looks like, but J. Smith #1, Alex Mack at #20 goes a long way toward building the OL. Delmas was okay at #33, but I would have been working hard to trade down out of that pick.

Brace in the 2nd, Jarron Gilbert in the 3rd??? Goes a long way toward building your DL.

I really didn't study those guys that much b/c GB wouldn't have had an interest in them... but, I believe in making moves to build a team, attack weak spots on the roster, build both lines, and go from there. Once you have the lines built, then you can work out from there.

They already have some decent players, Johnson and Sims are both okay... don't really know too much about them overall though.

wist43
05-02-2009, 07:07 AM

Oh, *I'm* the GM ...

BJ Raji.

Championship!

AHAHAHHAHA!!! Yes, Mission, if you followed one of Snake's other posts recently, that is why we are burning one with BJ in heaven, having him retell his Super Bowl 50 MVP performance for us. LMFAO! :lol:

I'm with ya man... woke up this morning, every muscle in my body sore... would kill to light one up, but alas... piss test nazi's are everywhere.

We live in an Orwellian society my friend... every time I hear of someone being busted by cops turning on their phone, web cam, or OnStar... makes me want to puke.

Be aware, if you have an OnStar, or web cam... even ur phone, they can be activated remotely and used by law enforcement to listen and watch you. Truly Orwellian... how I long for the simple days of the 70's. :smk:

That's my rant for the day... now it's off to the links - had an Eagle the other day - golf game is coming around... play better when I'm stoned though :lol:

Fritz
05-02-2009, 08:23 AM

Oh, *I'm* the GM ...

BJ Raji.

Championship!

I'm with ya man... woke up this morning, every muscle in my body sore... would kill to light one up, but alas... piss test nazi's are everywhere.

We live in an Orwellian society my friend... every time I hear of someone being busted by cops turning on their phone, web cam, or OnStar... makes me want to puke.

Be aware, if you have an OnStar, or web cam... even ur phone, they can be activated remotely and used by law enforcement to listen and watch you. Truly Orwellian... how I long for the simple days of the 70's. :smk:

That's my rant for the day... now it's off to the links - had an Eagle the other day - golf game is coming around... play better when I'm stoned though :lol:

Or you think you play better when you're stoned....because you begin to think deeply in your stonedness about what makes for "good" golf, really, and you realize that the feel of the ball being struck is the supreme moment. It's what feels best, better than seeing where the ball goes, better than counting numbers, so when you hit a shot, and that moment of club-on-ball just feels right, you know that you've discovered the true joy of golf. As such, you soon begin to lose track of the number of shots it takes to get the ball in the cup, and you simply enjoy the feeling of contact. At the end of the day, though, you know others, ignorant of your knowledge, will ask for your score - so you put some numbers down. You're not sure it they're correct, but you are sure they don't really matter.

Yup, I used to smoke dope.

wist43
05-02-2009, 08:35 AM

Oh, *I'm* the GM ...

BJ Raji.

Championship!

Or you think you play better when you're stoned....because you begin to think deeply in your stonedness about what makes for "good" golf, really, and you realize that the feel of the ball being struck is the supreme moment. It's what feels best, better than seeing where the ball goes, better than counting numbers, so when you hit a shot, and that moment of club-on-ball just feels right, you know that you've discovered the true joy of golf. As such, you soon begin to lose track of the number of shots it takes to get the ball in the cup, and you simply enjoy the feeling of contact. At the end of the day, though, you know others, ignorant of your knowledge, will ask for your score - so you put some numbers down. You're not sure it they're correct, but you are sure they don't really matter.

:lol:

I'll let ya know if I break 80 today :)

Back is pretty sore, so I doubt it... beer helps get me loose, but "too" loose... can never find that proper balance with beer and pharmacuticals.

Dali Lama is a big hitter, ya know... but meditation aint my thing either - he's a lousy tipper too, and I'm very generous :)

Never get creative with the scoring though... I'm a golf purist, no mulligans allowed :)

Fritz
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
In my own experience I found that just the slightest couple of hits of some tabacco-esque substance, plus water - no beer - was the optimum combination.

Stevogbfan
05-02-2009, 09:35 AM
In my own experience I found that just the slightest couple of hits of some tabacco-esque substance, plus water - no beer - was the optimum combination.

i totally agree!

Tyrone Bigguns
05-02-2009, 03:03 PM

I never compared the Lions to the Falcons; where did you see that ? I gave an example of how valuable the top QB from a draft class can have on a team.

The hypo is about the lions and what to do....so, that is where the comparison comes from.

Again, the falcons are nowhere near the bottom like the Lions...and therefore you can't talk about the impact of a QB on a team. The Falcons were a pretty decent team already. Put Ryan on last year's Lions team and i doubt they win 3 games.

The simple fact is that Ryan and Flacco are pretty much the exceptions that prove the rule. For every top qb drafted that does well (let's say all the first round qbs...as there is rarely a consensus on who is really the top qb) there are 2 or 3 that fail...and that is being pretty conservative.

wist43
05-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Oh, *I'm* the GM ...

BJ Raji.

Championship!

Back is pretty sore, so I doubt it... beer helps get me loose, but "too" loose... can never find that proper balance with beer and pharmacuticals.

Dali Lama is a big hitter, ya know... but meditation aint my thing either - he's a lousy tipper too, and I'm very generous :)

Never get creative with the scoring though... I'm a golf purist, no mulligans allowed :)

84 :)

Was a fun 84 though... had a good time; game is coming around a little bit, played last 5 in -1 :D

SnakeLH2006
05-02-2009, 11:17 PM

Oh, *I'm* the GM ...

BJ Raji.

Championship!

84 :)

Was a fun 84 though... had a good time; game is coming around a little bit, played last 5 in -1 :D

LOL, good stuff as Snake ain't 1% the smoker I used to be, really rare now, but likes to drink and golf.

Snake's Take:

Golfing stoned (my 2 best golfing buddies chief and regularly post about par on the local courses or 1 or two over) while Snake shoots about a 2 over par for 9. Water and tobacco-esque products can help you focus judging scores alone. And man, good conversations, focus is had on placement, clubs, etc.

Golfing drunk (usually Snake's forte) as I like to man-up and drive the ball a mile (and can...usually 250+ with my 1 wood) but after the 8 beers a piece me and my buds stuff in our bags, we get all wagery (is that a word?) and like to bet for cash and the last few beers we have with us to drink. Scores are about the same, but golf a tad less good, as Snake takes chances and foolish shit, like using a 3 wood under 200 yards on the fairway. Ballsy is the term.

Golfed once this year in Minocqua and did OK, but going to either Pine Valley or Indianhead near Wausau tommorrow (used to live in a duplex ON Indianhead in Mosinee a few years ago...my ex-G was a cart girl.....man the drinks/free rounds of golf were fun, but that course is ripped up shitty). I'll post my score, as we'll be drinking heavy I'm sure.

wist43
05-03-2009, 05:07 AM
LOL

I find that drinking cranks my drives up to around 350 yards... 175 straight out, and 175 hard left :lol:

Goin out again today... was encouraged that my hook is finally rounding into a consistent draw, still haven't been able to work a fade yet though... that will come :)

Partial
05-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I am a 100% believer that the most important position is QB. With a top 3-4 QB, you'll be competitive for the most part for most of their career. With a little luck and maybe some developing players, you've always got a good chance at getting to the SB.

However, I'm not sold of Stafford. He had a wealth of talent around him, yet wasn't overly impressive. He has a huge arm, which is important, but he's not a sure fire premiere prospect. I do like that he is very smart, having done quite well on the wonderlic, but I don't like that he took an attitude with talking to a shrink from the 49ers about his parents divorce.

With that said, I would also like #1 overall pick to contribute by season 3. Without a decent line at all in Detroit, I don't know how realistic it is to set up your QB for success while having scrubs in front of him. Sure, my team could add some players at this position in the next year or two, but again, thats a big unknown entity.

Gotta love everything about Aaron Curry except his position. I can't pick a coverage strong side linebacker with the top pick. He's a premiere prospect, as his combine performance shows he is a superior athlete to AJ Hawk, another elite prospect.

Crabtree is the best player in the draft in my opinion, and while that is strong way to build a team, they already have a premiere, bondafide #1 receiver for the next ten years. While I'm all about having a high powered offense, the two receivers are similiar, big bodies capable of going across the middle. Without a QB or an offensive line, I think both of these guys would be sold short.

Will continue later.

Gunakor
05-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I am a 100% believer that the most important position is QB. With a top 3-4 QB, you'll be competitive for the most part for most of their career. With a little luck and maybe some developing players, you've always got a good chance at getting to the SB.

However, I'm not sold of Stafford. He had a wealth of talent around him, yet wasn't overly impressive. He has a huge arm, which is important, but he's not a sure fire premiere prospect. I do like that he is very smart, having done quite well on the wonderlic, but I don't like that he took an attitude with talking to a shrink from the 49ers about his parents divorce.

With that said, I would also like #1 overall pick to contribute by season 3. Without a decent line at all in Detroit, I don't know how realistic it is to set up your QB for success while having scrubs in front of him. Sure, my team could add some players at this position in the next year or two, but again, thats a big unknown entity.

Gotta love everything about Aaron Curry except his position. I can't pick a coverage strong side linebacker with the top pick. He's a premiere prospect, as his combine performance shows he is a superior athlete to AJ Hawk, another elite prospect.

Crabtree is the best player in the draft in my opinion, and while that is strong way to build a team, they already have a premiere, bondafide #1 receiver for the next ten years. While I'm all about having a high powered offense, the two receivers are similiar, big bodies capable of going across the middle. Without a QB or an offensive line, I think both of these guys would be sold short.

Will continue later.

I agree with everything you said about the offense. But, as far as Curry is concerned, he wouldn't be playing coverage OLB in the Lions defense, he'd be playing the mike. It's the only LB spot open for competition after they signed Julian Peterson. I don't know if that would warrant the #1 overall pick either, but I do believe that Curry was the best football player in the entire draft, so I would have pulled the trigger and drafted him #1 overall anyway.

KYPack
05-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd say it's the QB #1, a pass rusher (to get the QB) #2 and a strong LT #3 to protect the QB are the top 3 positions on any pro team.

pbmax
05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I will repeat Ron Wolf in case it hasn't happened already:

QB, LT, pass rushing DE/OLB, DT, CB in about that order. Do whatever you need to do to have these postions locked up.

But if I was the Lions, I would pass on Stafford unless I was convinced he was the real deal, and fill in the other three positions. In this draft I would have taken Curry then Jackson for a 3-4 defense, or Raji if I was playing 4-3.

In almost any other year LT would be a lock outside of Matt Ryan, but this year they all seemed to be graded below several other players.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 06:43 PM
LOL

I find that drinking cranks my drives up to around 350 yards... 175 straight out, and 175 hard left :lol:

Goin out again today... was encouraged that my hook is finally rounding into a consistent draw, still haven't been able to work a fade yet though... that will come :)

Quit complaining. I'm the reason they put the nets on the side of the driving range.

3irty1
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I think they made the right pick in Stafford. A smart QB who excels at the fundamentals and has the tools to be elite is pretty tough to pass on for me.