PDA

View Full Version : Harvin skipping Minn rookie camp

MadScientist
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/01/harvin-doesnt-show-up-for-minicamp/
Looks like the high risk high reward pick is leaning to the risk side.

Edit - Now there is a report saying extreme dehydration is the reason (too dry to pee in a cup?)

Lurker64
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Particularly since this guy is a Florida Wide Receiver, and hence has no idea whatsoever how to run a route.... ouch.

I have to say I'm very amused though.

boiga
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Harvin Hospitalized With “Extreme Dehydration”
Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2009, 4:31 p.m. EDT

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press advises that, according to Vikings coach Brad Childress, rookie receiver Percy Harvin isn’t present at the team’s weekend minicamp because Harvin has been hospitalized in Atlanta with “extreme dehydration.”

Childress made the revelation at a post-practice press conference.

The team’s decision to select Harvin with the 22nd overall pick in the 2009 draft sparked controversy, given his positive marijuana result at the Scouting Combine and a reputation for being a bit of a handful.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/01/harvin-hospitalized-with-extreme-dehydration/

Do you think Harvin figured that there ecstasy use isn't easily testable?

RashanGary
05-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow. I'm glad that's not happening to use right now. Our guys seem like great guys, ready to work.

Freak Out
05-01-2009, 04:03 PM
GDHussak says:
May 1st, 2009 at 3:21 pm

c’mon…no story here…we all know he is on assignment by the Vikings down in Hattiesburg tossing the pigskin with the next QB of the Vikings.

:lol:

boiga
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Another possibility would be if he over did it with a diuretic trying to flush something out of his system without the necessary liquid intake.

swede
05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Does this happen to him a lot?

Will he strip to his underwear in training camp and run around the practice field claiming to be on fire?

SkinBasket
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I didn't know punt returners held out of rookie camp.

Zool
05-01-2009, 04:33 PM

Correction, he's a "dynamic playmaker"

SkinBasket
05-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Correction, he's a "dynamic playmaker"

Look out Allan Rossum!

Fritz
05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Another possibility would be if he over did it with a diuretic trying to flush something out of his system without the necessary liquid intake.

If the dehydration thing turns out to be the story, I would wonder how a rookie who hasn't even been practicing (I imagine anyway that he would've been doing the draft-day watch, then flying to Minny for pressers and all) could possibly be dehydrated.

What might cause such a condition, outside of exercising and not re-hydrating?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-01-2009, 07:09 PM

If the dehydration thing turns out to be the story, I would wonder how a rookie who hasn't even been practicing (I imagine anyway that he would've been doing the draft-day watch, then flying to Minny for pressers and all) could possibly be dehydrated.

What might cause such a condition, outside of exercising and not re-hydrating?

Drinking, for once.

boiga
05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Unless he is endurance training or mountain climbing right before going to the Vike's camp, he's either got a debilitating disease or it's something he ingested.

Here the Mayo Clinic's list:

Certain medications — diuretics, antihistamines, blood pressure medications and some psychiatric drugs — as well as alcohol also can lead to dehydration, generally because they cause you to urinate or perspire more than normal. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561/DSECTION=causes

The drugs include amphetamines and diuretics.

Partial
05-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Particularly since this guy is a Florida Wide Receiver, and hence has no idea whatsoever how to run a route.... ouch.

I have to say I'm very amused though.

If he's running a bunch of routes they're grotesquely misusing a dangerous weapon imo.

Rastak
05-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Unless he is endurance training or mountain climbing right before going to the Vike's camp, he's either got a debilitating disease or it's something he ingested.

Certain medications — diuretics, antihistamines, blood pressure medications and some psychiatric drugs — as well as alcohol also can lead to dehydration, generally because they cause you to urinate or perspire more than normal. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561/DSECTION=causes

Dude, you ever get the flu and get dehydrated? You fucking make it sound like a major event.

There is a media frenzy right now around swine flu and the dude was sick and barfing so they had him checked out. Have you never been sick and not taken care of yourself to the point you weren't perfectly hydrated? You get a fever, you puke you dehydrate. I've had family members have the same issue.

Jesus christ on a crippled crutch. Let's overreact.......

MJZiggy
05-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I've been hospitalized for food poisoning. Uncontrollable barfing. That was a fun birthday...compazine was my best friend for weeks.

SMACKTALKIE
05-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Dude, you ever get the flu and get dehydrated? You fucking make it sound like a major event.

There is a media frenzy right now around swine flu and the dude was sick and barfing so they had him checked out. Have you never been sick and not taken care of yourself to the point you weren't perfectly hydrated? You get a fever, you puke you dehydrate. I've had family members have the same issue.

This all happened at an ariport as well.

Dude has been flying, traveling, and working out for the last 3 weeks.

He's ill ................. non-story.

Save the Percy Harvin posting for when he torches the Pack Oct. 5th. 8-)

Packgator
05-01-2009, 11:55 PM

Hey.....ease up on those Gators! Well....since he's a Viking now.....never mind.

BZnDallas
05-01-2009, 11:59 PM

This all happened at an ariport as well.

Dude has been flying, traveling, and working out for the last 3 weeks.

He's ill ................. non-story.

Save the Percy Harvin posting for when he torches the Pack Oct. 5th. 8-)

torches the Pack or a tightly rolled 'J'???

Lurker64
05-02-2009, 12:50 AM

Hey.....ease up on those Gators! Well....since he's a Viking now.....never mind.

Many great players have come out of Florida, but their track record on NFL WRs is not good.

If we look at all the Florida WRs drafted prior to this year in my lifetime we have:

Andre Caldwell, Dallas Baker, Chad Jackson, Taylor Jacobs, Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Travis Taylor, Darrell Jackson, Travis McGriff, Jacquez Green, Ike Hilliard, Reidel Anthony, Chris Doering, Jack Jackson, Willie Jackson, Ernie Mills, Stacey Simmons, Tony Lomack, and Ricky Nattiel.

Not a lot of great players in that bunch, though Ike Hilliard is solid. Especially the recent guys like Jackson, Gaffney, and Caldwell have been solidly disappointing in the early part of their NFL careers.

SMACKTALKIE
05-02-2009, 01:26 AM

Many great players have come out of Florida, but their track record on NFL WRs is not good.

If we look at all the Florida WRs drafted prior to this year in my lifetime we have:

Andre Caldwell, Dallas Baker, Chad Jackson, Taylor Jacobs, Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Travis Taylor, Darrell Jackson, Travis McGriff, Jacquez Green, Ike Hilliard, Reidel Anthony, Chris Doering, Jack Jackson, Willie Jackson, Ernie Mills, Stacey Simmons, Tony Lomack, and Ricky Nattiel.

Not a lot of great players in that bunch, though Ike Hilliard is solid. Especially the recent guys like Jackson, Gaffney, and Caldwell have been solidly disappointing in the early part of their NFL careers.

He will likely pan out like most WR's in their rookie season; average at best.

You have to admit though that he does not fit the mold of your typical WR. He seems more of a "tweener."

Lurker64
05-02-2009, 01:32 AM
He will likely pan out like most WR's in their rookie season; average at best.

You have to admit though that he does not fit the mold of your typical WR. He seems more of a "tweener."

Probably. Florida WRs seem to suffer severely from the problem that seems to afflict many solid college WRs when they struggle to transition to the pros: they succeed so much in college on the basis of athleticism vs. inferior coverage, that they never really have to run precise or routes, and so their route-running is very substandard. This problem has particularly afflicted Gator WRs in the Tebow age as to say Florida's offense is "non-standard" is probably generous.

So much of the NFL passing game hinges on the precision passing game. A good QB and WR connection is such that the QB throws the ball not to where the WR is, but to where the WR is going to be, before the WR even makes his break. If the WR runs the wrong route, or the correct route poorly these situations are at best an incomplete pass and at worst an easy turnover for the defense.

So Harvin, like a lot of rookie WRs who were athletic freaks in college, just can't be counted on to run a lot of plays. If you ask him to do something he's not good at, well... you may not be happy with the results.

It probably won't be quite the trainwreck that DHB is going to be in Oakland. At least Harvin has hands.

Fritz
05-02-2009, 08:39 AM

Easy there, Ras. We don't want the Vikings to do well. If they had no talent, like the Lions, no one would even bother with a thread like this. But the Vikings are the defending champs of the division, and they have talent, so people want Harvin to be a drunken, amphetamine-taking mistake. And since no one here knows him as a human being, nobody's really thinking much about how sad that might be.

It's okay. I'm sure many Vikes fans are hoping that Ja-what's-his-name Meredith becomes a locker room cancer, infects the whole place, and the Packers' clubhouse becomes one big, sorry ass drama, and the team begins to fall apart on the field.

Besides, it's the offseason. No one has any real football news to discuss, so people are speculating.

Heck, there's a whole thread devoted to Tyrell Sutton - a FA, for crying out loud - and the "spring in his staff" that McCarthy commented upon.

rbaloha1
05-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Wow. I'm glad that's not happening to use right now. Our guys seem like great guys, ready to work.

That is part of the reason TT drafted them.

Cheesehead Craig
05-02-2009, 05:27 PM
He got the flu. It's a non-story as far as I'm concerned right now.

boiga
05-02-2009, 06:08 PM
He got the flu. It's a non-story as far as I'm concerned right now. True, my earlier speculation was before the full story came out.

My apologies to offended vike fans.

Harvin's still a punk though :)