PDA

View Full Version : Can Dom Capers bring out the best in McCarthy?

RashanGary
05-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Dom obviously is established enough to stand on his own. He's been a head coach. He's coordinated several top 5 defenses. He's implemented the 3-4 scheme from a 4-3 scheme several times. He's coached with Bellichek. He's coached with Cowher. He's coached with Lebeau.

The guy has been around some of the best and has, himself, coached up some of the best.

I listened to McCarthy today say he was impressed with how detailed and focused Capers group was. McCarthy obviously runs the offense. Capers seems to have complete control of the defense. Capers, by all accounts, seems to know how to get quality work in. If his group is extremely focused and prepared, McCarthy is going to have to work that much harder to keep his unit tight.

I think having Capers on staff will help get the best out of the whole team. For the first time, McCarthy has a peer on the staff that could probably out coach him. He's going to have to step his game up to keep respect.

Fritz
05-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Sounds good. Real good.

Bretsky
05-01-2009, 06:45 PM
all good points; completely agree

I think MM is more confident in himself as a head coach now and that security helped him hire a dude whose borderline overqualified. Not sure he'd have down that when he was first hired

Fritz
05-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Funny, I was kinda thinkin' about Coach M today meself. I was thinkin' that this is year four - he's an established NFL head coach now. I like that he hired someone who's at the top of his game.

vince
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure getting laid every night for a change didn't soften McCarthy up just a hair last year, but prior to that, he had as much edge, commitment, and drive as any coach in the game. Aside from any critique of his playcalling/X's and O's, McCarthy is a strong leader - stronger than Capers IMO, and he has and will continue to have no problem keeping the respect of the coaches and team. Building a better staff would only help lift him to greater heights.

RashanGary
05-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I get the impression from McCarthy lately that he's not as endlessly driven as you say, Vince. Thompson seems like a guy that is endlessly driven, that will never be satisfied, that will never rest. McCarthy seems capable of getting fat and happy.

vince
05-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I get the impression from McCarthy lately that he's not as endlessly driven as you say, Vince. Thompson seems like a guy that is endlessly driven, that will never be satisfied, that will never rest. McCarthy seems capable of getting fat and happy.
It's obviously a lot of personal feel (which as we know can be completely opposite from person to person), but I will say that I did see a tad less drive from him last year. I tell ya that's what women'll do to a man. As you say, a stronger team of coaches should help make him a better head coach. In general, I think he has what you want in a head coach so long as he never gets complacent. I don't think he will.

RashanGary
05-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I heard a little competitiveness in his voice when he talked about Capers unit. I don't think he was just giving coach speak. He sounded like he really was impressed and happy to have him. At the same time, there was a little edge to his voice, almost like he was impressed but not intimidated, like he wanted to be the best coach on the field.

I don't know, I just got the impression that seeing Capers running a tight ship got his competitive juices flowing and also raised the bar a little.

The Shadow
05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds great!

Packnut
05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Ok how about a reality check BEFORE we crown MM. He's also the guy who hired Sanders the clown..............

RashanGary
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Ok how about a reality check BEFORE we crown MM. He's also the guy who hired Sanders the clown..............

And continues to employ Joe Philbin as his OC.

I think he runs a good offense (great passing game, below average running game).

He brought in the right defensive staff.

We'll see how it comes together. I think the last coaching piece that needs changing is the OC/OL coaches.

Packnut
05-01-2009, 08:28 PM

I think he runs a good offense (great passing game, below average running game).

We'll see how it comes together. I think the last coaching piece that needs changing is the OC/OL coaches.

Good point. I really never thought much about Philbin but the results hav'nt been there. May-be he has nothing to work with but ya think he'd make at least one of all these guys a stud.

Joemailman
05-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Good point. I really never thought much about Philbin but the results hav'nt been there. May-be he has nothing to work with but ya think he'd make at least one of all these guys a stud.

What problem do you have with Philbin? The offense has been #4 and #5 in the league in total offense his 2 years as OC.

Bretsky
05-01-2009, 09:55 PM

What problem do you have with Philbin? The offense has been #4 and #5 in the league in total offense his 2 years as OC.

lack of running game and he was the ex OL coach where we have not seem overwhelming progress

Joemailman
05-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I think the OL got a bad rap last year. I think Grant was the biggest reason for the lack of a running game. He just wasn't very good. They also had to protect a talented, but inexperienced QB who often held on to the ball too long. The OL is better than a lot of people here give them credit for.

gex
05-01-2009, 10:51 PM
If things do not go all that good this year, we could already have our next head coach in Capers.

SnakeLH2006
05-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Direct Reply to Topic:

Hope so for MM, cuz Dom is the next coach in GB if we don't make the playoffs this year. I really like Dom, but as good as MM seemed early on, he's seemed to have peaked. Kinda plain jane (which is fine with X's and O's) but doesn't seem to have a killer instinct, or ANY personality, either. Which again, is fine if we are winning, but damn if Dom doesn't demand respect. Watch yo back MM, watch it good. It's usually a killer for a HC to bring in a former HC with extensive HC experience (usually a last resort to save their own job like MM's...so he better hope he wins, cuz if he don't...off with his head on Dom's platter). I'm indifferent as MM in Snake's opinion has peaked. If he wins, ok, if not, get him out...I'm sure TT and Dom have this all figured out to save their own jobs anyway, lol.

Maxie the Taxi
05-02-2009, 06:41 AM
I hope Capers is standing beside MM during the game so MM can benefit from Capers' experience in strategery when the game's on the line. That's MM's biggest weakness as far as I can tell.

vince
05-02-2009, 07:10 AM
I seem to recall that in his first pc with the Packers, Capers said he prefers to be in the booth as DC during games.

Fritz
05-02-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure getting laid every night for a change didn't soften McCarthy up just a hair last year, but prior to that, he had as much edge, commitment, and drive as any coach in the game. Aside from any critique of his playcalling/X's and O's, McCarthy is a strong leader - stronger than Capers IMO, and he has and will continue to have no problem keeping the respect of the coaches and team. Building a better staff would only help lift him to greater heights.

In another thread, someone quoted MM as saying that Tyrell Sutton, the FA running back, has some "spring in his staff."

So which staff are you talking about, Vince? You said at the beginning of the post that MM was "soft" because he was getting laid too much, but at the end you say his staff will "lift him to greater heights."

I'm getting confused.

Maxie the Taxi
05-02-2009, 08:21 AM
I seem to recall that in his first pc with the Packers, Capers said he prefers to be in the booth as DC during games.

This is even better. Logistically, it would be hard for Capers and MM to be together on the sidelines. Maybe in the booth Capers will have MM's ear.

[I know...I know..."hard"...."have MM's ear."]

Gunakor
05-02-2009, 09:49 AM

lack of running game and he was the ex OL coach where we have not seem overwhelming progress

His job isn't specific to the OL though. As Joe pointed out, his offense has ranked very highly 2 years running. We would be incredibly spoiled to complain about Philbin right now.

Plus, I still can't understand where this lack of a running game thing comes from. Teams that just can't run the ball don't have a RB who finishes ranked 9th in the league in total yards rushing, nor do they generally have a QB ranked in the top 10 in nearly every passing catagory as defenses are playing the pass all the time. 3.9 yards per carry isn't awful, either. Again, we are spoiled by the fact that Grant popped off 60 yard TD runs regularly in 2007. We call him a disappointment because he did not do the same in 2008. Yet we still got the yards, we still scored the points, so I don't understand the frustration. Perspective, people. This offense is still very, very good.

cpk1994
05-02-2009, 10:00 AM

His job isn't specific to the OL though. As Joe pointed out, his offense has ranked very highly 2 years running. We would be incredibly spoiled to complain about Philbin right now.

Plus, I still can't understand where this lack of a running game thing comes from. Teams that just can't run the ball don't have a RB who finishes ranked 9th in the league in total yards rushing, nor do they generally have a QB ranked in the top 10 in nearly every passing catagory as defenses are playing the pass all the time. 3.9 yards per carry isn't awful, either. Again, we are spoiled by the fact that Grant popped off 60 yard TD runs regularly in 2007. We call him a disappointment because he did not do the same in 2008. Yet we still got the yards, we still scored the points, so I don't understand the frustration. Perspective, people. This offense is still very, very good.

Exactly. Put the OL blame where it belongs, James Campen. He is the one that I am baffled that is still empployed.

Bretsky
05-02-2009, 04:12 PM
To be fair I was not the one criticizing Philbin; althought I also won't argue with anybody who does.

Like Bob Sanders, IMO he was the easy hire and was kind of handed the job as opposed to going outside the organization for the type of experience Capers brings

Gunakor
05-02-2009, 04:25 PM
To be fair I was not the one criticizing Philbin; althought I also won't argue with anybody who does.

Like Bob Sanders, IMO he was the easy hire and was kind of handed the job as opposed to going outside the organization for the type of experience Capers brings

Philbin was retained because MM didn't want to scrap the ZBS, and Philbin knew the ZBS being Jags OL coach. It was more than just the easy hire, it was a hire that fit.

Merlin
05-02-2009, 04:45 PM
The hiring of Capers should motivate McCarthy. I am not so sure the decision was all his, I am sure Thompson had something to do with it. If McCarthy doesn't produce this season, you can be sure Thompson won't hesitate to pull the trigger. Thompson is all about Thompson and I seriously doubt he will be let go before McCarthy is if the mediocrity continues.

PlantPage55
05-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Thompson is all about Thompson

Where the hell do you get this crap?

swede
05-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Exactly. Put the OL blame where it belongs, James Campen. He is the one that I am baffled that is still employed.

When Favre was miked up for a game he told one of the O-line guys that he'd done a good job, adding "Way to overcome your coaching!"

I laughed, but one wonders how much truth if any...?

SnakeLH2006
05-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Exactly. Put the OL blame where it belongs, James Campen. He is the one that I am baffled that is still employed.

When Favre was miked up for a game he told one of the O-line guys that he'd done a good job, adding "Way to overcome your coaching!"

It pains Snake to run upstairs and grab his calendar and sharpie, but damn, CPK, that was your best post in....EVER (not alot to choose from tho). But, alas, the Snake agrees....Campy is terrible. Forget nostalgia, being a former Packer, if any position with talent hasn't advanced (blame coaching) it's gotta be the OL. Campy HAS got to be TT's Yahtzee buddy on Friday nights (TT's nite out for off time). He's just gotta be. :shock: :lol:

Gunakor
05-03-2009, 10:43 AM

It pains Snake to run upstairs and grab his calendar and sharpie, but damn, CPK, that was your best post in....EVER (not alot to choose from tho). But, alas, the Snake agrees....Campy is terrible. Forget nostalgia, being a former Packer, if any position with talent hasn't advanced (blame coaching) it's gotta be the OL. Campy HAS got to be TT's Yahtzee buddy on Friday nights (TT's nite out for off time). He's just gotta be. :shock: :lol:

The interior guys have progressed during Campen's time as their position coach. Colledge was the brightest spot on our entire OL last season IMO. Spitz looks pretty good too. You can't really blame Campen for not getting more out of a guy like Moll, who really just isn't a very good lineman. Sitton was hurt the first month of the season last year, Barbre punched a coach and was on timeout, etc. The tackles are wearing down and seem to be almost done (Tauscher might be already). All things considered, I think we could have done far worse than even Campen for an OL coach.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Hard to understand why anybody would have a problem with Philbin.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2009, 09:18 PM

I doubt there was any truth to it. Just Brett being Brett. Hell, I'd be shocked if Brett could tell a good coach from a bad coach. Didn't he like Rhodes and Sherman?
:D

HowardRoark
05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure getting laid every night for a change didn't soften McCarthy up just a hair last year....

I thought he got married last year.

cpk1994
05-03-2009, 09:32 PM

I doubt there was any truth to it. Just Brett being Brett. Hell, I'd be shocked if Brett could tell a good coach from a bad coach. Didn't he like Rhodes and Sherman?
:DDidn't he also think that Steve Mariucci would make a great head coach? :D

Zool
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Green Bay
112 ypg last year, 17th in the league
4.1ypc

Superbowl Participants:
Pittsburgh
105 ypg, 23rd
3.7ypc

Arizona
73.6ypg, 32nd
3.5ypc

Maybe we were all a bit spoiled by having one of the best o-lines in the league and one of the best backs in the league from 01-03. The team is at least average in rushing. The passing attack was 8th in the league last year and the O as a whole was 8th in YPG.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure getting laid every night for a change didn't soften McCarthy up just a hair last year....

Not only that, she had a baby.

Partial
05-03-2009, 11:11 PM

Green Bay
112 ypg last year, 17th in the league
4.1ypc

Superbowl Participants:
Pittsburgh
105 ypg, 23rd
3.7ypc

Arizona
73.6ypg, 32nd
3.5ypc

Maybe we were all a bit spoiled by having one of the best o-lines in the league and one of the best backs in the league from 01-03. The team is at least average in rushing. The passing attack was 8th in the league last year and the O as a whole was 8th in YPG.

Those teams can get away with it because they have a playmaker and two HOFers at QB. The running game needs to improve, and I think step one in doing that is having Grant healthy and giving BJack 40% of the carries.

vince
05-04-2009, 06:40 AM

Not only that, she had a baby.
Yeah, those distractions too.

Pacopete4
05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
MM better hope Capers brings the best outta him and they both do their jobs cuz I really think that MM will be on a short leash if theres another 6-10 record in the makings..

Partial
05-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Call me a homer but I think now that MM can work strictly with the offense and let a talented guy like Capers run the defense, the team will see better results from people working nearly exclusively in their specialties.

I really think MM is an elite coach. I didn't care for his playcalling last year -- safe to say the least -- but I attribute that to the new QB more than him. I suspect they open it up a lot more this year.

PlantPage55
05-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Call me a homer but I think now that MM can work strictly with the offense and let a talented guy like Capers run the defense, the team will see better results from people working nearly exclusively in their specialties.

I really think MM is an elite coach. I didn't care for his playcalling last year -- safe to say the least -- but I attribute that to the new QB more than him. I suspect they open it up a lot more this year.

Just like the 2nd year with Brett, eh? I suspect you're correct, as well. We saw a lot of TE blocking formations and keeping guys in to help with protection when we went 8-8. We opened it up a lot more in the 13-3 year. We saw an emphasis on protection again last year (although not as much as the 8-8 year), but now I suspect we'll open it up more this coming year.

Confidence in Aaron Rodgers, confidence in Jordy Nelson, and a sneak peak at the ability of JerMichael are things from last season that point to this, IMO.