PDA

View Full Version : Report: “Favre Can’t Stand Green Bay”

Pages : 1 [2]

Joemailman
05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Hard to say if Favre has anything left without knowing the condition of the shoulder. However, if Favre is the Viking quarterback, I am very confident that the Packers will be a better team post-Thanksgiving than the Vikings.

Rastak
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Hard to say if Favre has anything left without knowing the condition of the shoulder. However, if Favre is the Viking quarterback, I am very confident that the Packers will be a better team post-Thanksgiving than the Vikings.

Not so fast....my scenario has him hitting the bench as he starts to fold with Rosenfelds starting the last 6. 8-)

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM

Not so fast....my scenario has him hitting the bench.........

Then Chilly will feel the wrath of Greta Van Susteren.

Rastak
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM

Not so fast....my scenario has him hitting the bench.........

Then Chilly will feel the wrath of Greta Van Susteren.

Nah, she didn't even know they were called the Minnesota Vikings, I'm guessing she knows one football team, and that's it. Then again, not knowing about something probably hasn't stopped her before, you could be right.

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
It would be awesome if the Rodgers led Packers played the Favre Led Vikings for the NFC Title

Hey hey hey, you heard it here first :!: .........my early prediction

bobblehead
05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
The thing is, Pacopete, the Favre years really sucked. He won 1 championship in 16 years. The Packers won 11 in the prior 80 years of their existence. Therefore with Favre we won less than half of what we could have expected to win. Now that he is gone, maybe the Packers can get back to their winning ways.

Serious? Those 16 years sucked? And because of him we only won one championship? Wow.. I honestly don't even know what to say to you... go back to our winning ways? Of what?.. the 60's? cuz there sure as hell was no winning in the 70's/80's... ridiculous...

Pssssssst Petey...I think he was joking.

haha, i hope so.. I guess I don't read well

fixed

mngolf19
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Not so fast....my scenario has him hitting the bench as he starts to fold with Rosenfelds starting the last 6. 8-)

Exactly my point yesterday. He will be benched for the hot hand the second he shows weakness. Chilly can't blow this year or he will be blowing in the wind.

bobblehead
05-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, BF got Rhodes fired after one year. He ultimately cost sherman his job (even though sherman was pretty locked in). He cost mangini his job. Mr. Childress.....was nice knowing ya!!

mngolf19
05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Nah, I'll pass but I know some folks at work who'll do it just to drive the Pack fans nuts

This is what I find most amusing. It's as likely that Favre will disappoint them than lead them to the top (especially since expectations will be sky high). I personally don't care. It will be fun. They'll remain the favorites to win the division, but I don't see it leading to postseason glory.

Expectations are high, but not because of Favre. So he won't disappoint. He is equally:

A. Possible improvement at the QB position. Not expected, just possible.
B. A great way to stick it to the Packers and their fans.

This is how Vikings fans will look at it.

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Well, BF got Rhodes fired after one year. He ultimately cost sherman his job (even though sherman was pretty locked in). He cost mangini his job. Mr. Childress.....was nice knowing ya!!

How did Favre get Rhodes fired ? Most realized as a head coach Rhodes was barely competent....recall the Carolina game ? He was horrible; a solid DC in my opinion but the worst coach I can remember.

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 10:13 PM
A healthy Favre is a huge upgrade for the Vikings if they can give him the same direction and coaching McCarthy did

Fosco33
05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I love that our division rivals big goal is to 'stick it to the Packers or their fans' or as Lovie says, "My goal is to beat the Packers."

Don't get me wrong - I love beating the Vikes and Bears. I'll even take the split. Just seems their priorities are off...

I'd rather see the Pack lose a division game than not make the playoffs or have a chance at the championship.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
A healthy Favre is a huge upgrade for the Vikings.......

Big deal. Partial would be a huge upgrade for the Vikings.

No offense to your cannon P.

gbgary
05-05-2009, 11:05 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

Partial
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM

None taken :D

Zool
05-05-2009, 11:15 PM
A healthy Favre is a huge upgrade for the Vikings if they can give him the same direction and coaching McCarthy did

Sage looked good for 3 quarters a few times last year. Its that pesky 4th he had problems with.

Chilly doesnt seem like a strong willed guy to me. If Favre does sign there, the media circus will be huge and a huge distraction.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Sage looked good for 3 quarters a few times last year. Its that pesky 4th he had problems with.

Sage = 81.2 career passer rating

Three of the last four years, Favre has been worse than that (70.9, 72.7, 95.7, 81.0). The only year he finished higher than 81 was the one year he worked hard in the offseason.

I'm not saying. I'm just saying.

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 11:35 PM

that dude's got a sock for an arm :lol: :lol: :wink:

Zool
05-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Sage isnt a bad QB. He's got some Dilfer-esque qualities. You can win with him if you can get him to stop making idiotic mistakes. It took Dilfer going to Baltimore to do that. Maybe this trade is just what Parsley Rosenfels needs to be a winner in the NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Sage isnt a bad QB. He's got some Dilfer-esque qualities. You can win with him if you can get him to stop making idiotic mistakes. It took Dilfer going to Baltimore to do that. Maybe this trade is just what Parsley Rosenfels needs to be a winner in the NFL.

He isn't horrible. I think he's a decent upgrade on Jackson/Frerotte.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth?tag=favre%202009

Zool
05-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I agree he's a def upgrade over Gus and Travis.

Here's a pretty rough quote from your link Harv

This includes their February trade to acquire quarterback Sage Rosenfels, who has averaged one interception for every 20 passes in his NFL career. Absent Favre, Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson would compete for the starting job in training camp.

Not awesome.

Rastak
05-06-2009, 05:59 AM
I agree he's a def upgrade over Gus and Travis.

Here's a pretty rough quote from your link Harv

This includes their February trade to acquire quarterback Sage Rosenfels, who has averaged one interception for every 20 passes in his NFL career. Absent Favre, Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson would compete for the starting job in training camp.

Not awesome.

From listening to NFL radio and getting a slew of opinions on Sage, it seems he has average mobility and armstrength, sees the field very well, is very accurate but takes too many chances which causes all the picks he throws. In the Vikings run first offense I'm thinking the risk taking tendencies can be minimized. If they were, I think Rosenfelds could be perfect for their offense. They need a guy who can go through his reads properly when 8 and 9 guys crowd the line....somebody is going to be wide open.

edit:

Jackson for comparison has a very strong arm, is very mobile, is very inaccurate and has a very hard time with his reads. He shows flashes but gets rattled and throws the ball in the turf/dirt or over peoples heads. He really has trouble finding the open guy.

Favre is excellent at reading defenses but his arm strength now is a big concern. And he ain't mobile at all. So if he doesn't take the risks he usually does in a run first offense he might be ok but his lack of mobility and arm strength is a concern.

Fritz
05-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Chilly doesnt seem like a strong willed guy to me. If Favre does sign there, the media circus will be huge and a huge distraction.

It has crossed my mind that if Favre comes back, given the apparent friendships he has with Chilly and Bevell, I wonder if we'd see a return to the wild Sherman years, where Favre often seemed to do what he pleased - not always to the betterment of the team (though sometimes it was). There was one game where Favre was hurt, bad, came out for a play, then went back in - if I recall correctly Shermy said after the game he didn't even know Favre had gone back in. Now, Favre threw a T.D. on that play, and it was great, great theater - but it seemed indicative of what appeared to be Sherman's lack of control over Favre.

Will we see this again, I wonder?

sheepshead
05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/brettviks.jpg

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 07:49 AM

It has crossed my mind that if Favre comes back, given the apparent friendships he has with Chilly and Bevell, I wonder if we'd see a return to the wild Sherman years, where Favre often seemed to do what he pleased - not always to the betterment of the team (though sometimes it was). There was one game where Favre was hurt, bad, came out for a play, then went back in - if I recall correctly Shermy said after the game he didn't even know Favre had gone back in. Now, Favre threw a T.D. on that play, and it was great, great theater - but it seemed indicative of what appeared to be Sherman's lack of control over Favre.

Will we see this again, I wonder?The game you speak of was the against the Giants. He wasn't just hurt either. It was a concussion. He sustained a head injury. You are right that Sherman had a lack of control in that one and it was very dangerous, not to mention irresponsible.

Fritz
05-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Y'know, when I first saw this thread, I interpreted it to mean that Favre didn't like Green Bay as a town, and I thought, "Hey, I've read that lots of players don't like Green Bay. Big deal!"

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Amusing.

The guys at ESPN think it would be a good move by the Vikings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4143461

Although, Seifert seems iffy on the move.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-11-30/No-turning-back-now-for-the-Vikings.html

The guys at CBS, SI, and Sporting News think it would be a bad move by the Vikings.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/14879504
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11715293
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/05/06/favre/index.html?eref=T1
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=545922

Packers fans will say they'll hate seeing him wearing purple. Don't. It gives your team a better chance to win the division.

Favre to Minnesota improves the playoff chances of the Bears and Packers, not the Vikings.

The guys in the Twin Cities are split--although the fans are gung ho to "stick it" to Packer fans.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/44422517.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKUnciaec 8O7EyUr
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_12302214?nclick_check=1

Most others are cautious.

Mike Vandermause at GBPG lays out the pros and cons.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Pros

-Favre could be the missing piece for the Vikings, who have the best running back in the game, some talented receivers and a solid defense. The quarterback position is the biggest question mark in Minnesota, and a healthy Favre could give the Vikings a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs.

-Favre could repair some, or maybe all, of the damage done to his image during his one-season stint with the New York Jets. Favre led the league in interceptions with 22 and was a big part of the Jets’ collapse down the stretch. They lost four of their last five games and blew a playoff berth. Favre, 39, was awful in his final five games and looked his age. What better tonic to his image than to make a triumphant return with the Vikings?

-Favre admitted that part of his motivation for returning last season was to stick it to Packers General Manager Ted Thompson, who was responsible for trading him to the Jets. Thompson made sure Favre didn’t get his wish and land in Minnesota last season and play for one of the Packers’ most hated NFC North rivals. This year, Favre is free to sign with any team he wants. And what better way to get back at Thompson than to lead the Vikings to glory?

-Favre likely wouldn’t command the 8-figure salary he has become accustomed to, but he no doubt would still earn several million dollars. No, Favre doesn’t need the money. But his earning power will presumably only go down in the future, so why not grab for the cash while the getting is good?

Cons

-Favre suffered a biceps tendon tear in his throwing arm last season. He apparently did not have surgery during the offseason and is hoping it heals on its own. But when you’re pushing 40, it’s harder to recover from injuries. There’s no guarantee Favre will ever be 100% again. Favre’s magical touch was non-existent late in the year when he essentially had a rag arm.

-ESPN is reporting that if Favre plays in Minnesota, the Vikings would expect him to participate in offseason activities. Favre hates minicamps more than anyone. Instead of relaxing poolside in the Mississippi sun, he would be forced to learn yet another offensive system and endure the tedious offseason practices.

-To have any chance to succeed at his age, Favre needs to get himself into tip-top shape. He would likely need to hire a personal trainer and put himself through rigorous workouts for the next three months. Will all the toil and sweat and pain be worth it, especially if his arm doesn’t cooperate?

-The picture of Johnny Unitas ending his career with the San Diego Chargers, or Joe Namath playing out the string with the Los Angeles Rams, was pathetic. What if Favre returns and simply doesn’t have it anymore? Going out as a shell of his former self would be a sad way to end a legendary career. At least with the Jets, Favre could fall back on the injury excuse for his poor play late in the year. If he makes a healthy return to the Vikings but simply has no gas left in his tank, his legacy could be forever tarnished and he could go down as the guy who couldn’t walk away. Favre himself often said it’s better to leave the game one year too early rather than one year too late.

There it is. All Brett. All the time.

I'll just throw this one in after the fact.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ao9yE9.CjXvrMAPwJ7UiIApDubYF?slug=ms-thegameface050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

mngolf19
05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I love that our division rivals big goal is to 'stick it to the Packers or their fans' or as Lovie says, "My goal is to beat the Packers."

Don't get me wrong - I love beating the Vikes and Bears. I'll even take the split. Just seems their priorities are off...

I'd rather see the Pack lose a division game than not make the playoffs or have a chance at the championship.

Vikes aren't trying to stick it to Packers. That's what the fans want. Vikes just want the best team they can get and are willing to see if Favre is an upgrade. Makes sense to me.

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 09:44 PM

Vikes aren't trying to stick it to Packers. That's what the fans want. Vikes just want the best team they can get and are willing to see if Favre is an upgrade. Makes sense to me.Mkaes sense to me too. But those fans you speak of are wasting their time. A big majority of Packer fns love ARod as our QB. They aren't sticking anything to us.

bbbffl66
05-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Vikes aren't trying to stick it to Packers. That's what the fans want. Vikes just want the best team they can get and are willing to see if Favre is an upgrade. Makes sense to me.Mkaes sense to me too. But those fans you speak of are wasting their time. A big majority of Packer fns love ARod as our QB. They aren't sticking anything to us.

thats why we have 117 posts about Favre. Nobody obviously cares! :shock:

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM

thats why we have 117 posts about Favre. Nobody obviously cares! :shock:Yes we do, but most everyone is fine with him going to Minnesota. The thing that people take issue with is that he seems to be going becuase he wants to sticik it to Ted, which means he wants to stick it to the Packers. So what is being stuck to us if we are fine with him going there?

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Interesting blog post by Bedard about last year's timeline. I don't want to rehash it, but it's interesting to see it laid out.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44547287.html

RashanGary
05-08-2009, 05:42 AM
The big difference between then and now is severe.

Then - Favre is coming off one of his best seasons in the NFL and was winding down
Now - Favre is coming off one of his worst seasons in the NFL and is winding down

Then - A rabid fan base that spends a lot of money was in love with Favre and were going to spend many future dollars remembering his time in GB
Now - The Vikings fan base might spend a few dollars now, but long term ramifactions are tiny

Then - Favre was under contract and still had value on the trade market
Now - Favre is not under contract and even if he were, has very little

Then - Favre was considered a hero and a stand up football guy
Now - Favre is considered a diva and a head case that played good football

It was a big head ache on the Packers end because they had to try to keep his legacy in tact for future dollars but at the same time deal with the bratt's selfish actions.

The Vikings don't have a legacy (future dollars) to protect. If Favre is waffling, they'll just say, "fuck you" (in not so many words) and move on.

If this is how Favre is acting toward them, it's over. They'll take the same approach the Packers did, "just move on", but won't have to deal with all of the headaches. Clearly McCarthy, Thompson and the Packers felt they were done with him becasue he didn't care to show up to the camps or really commit to football. The Vikings probably feel the same way. The difference is that the Vikings move on with nothing lost. The Packers probably lost some money in fans who will never buy a Favre item from the proshop again. The Packers also got drug through the mud by a whiny bratt and even though one guy was at complete fault, no matter how it ends, everyone ends up losing. It's like an insane suicide bomber. He dies, but he kills you too. Nobody wins. The end result is bad, whether you did it to yourself or had it done to you.

Fritz
05-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Here's where I'm at: Given my limited medical understanding, which is that Favre needs that shoulder surgery if he wants to play, then until he gets that surgery he's not coming back.

With all the he said/she said stuff going on, the surgery seems - again, I could be wrong about this, and if someone has more medical knowledge, let me know - the one factual piece that can tell the tale. No surgery, no play-ee.

Bretsky
05-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm with you

I don't really care if he comes back or not

I really don't care who he plays for

I don't think any team will take him w/o the surgery

I do still think there is interest between Favre and the Vikings

But no surgery....no options

RashanGary
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Saw an NFLN game from 2007 last night. Just before half, McCarthy called a time out and Favre wanted to spike it. Favre ran up in McCarthy's face screaming. It was the type of blowup than anyone but that guy would have been lambasted for.

Things like that make you happy with the humble, team player we have now.

Administrator
05-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Here's where I'm at: Given my limited medical understanding, which is that Favre needs that shoulder surgery if he wants to play, then until he gets that surgery he's not coming back.

With all the he said/she said stuff going on, the surgery seems - again, I could be wrong about this, and if someone has more medical knowledge, let me know - the one factual piece that can tell the tale. No surgery, no play-ee.

Fritz, I think I read, back at the time, that rest would heal the shoulder as well. I think Favre even said that he had the same problem at some point in the past with the other shoulder and it healed with rest as well.

Not sure he needs surgery to play.

Personally, I'm just glad he's staying retired (hopefully).

KYPack
05-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Fritz, I think I read, back at the time, that rest would heal the shoulder as well. I think Favre even said that he had the same problem at some point in the past with the other shoulder and it healed with rest as well.

Not sure he needs surgery to play.

Personally, I'm just glad he's staying retired (hopefully).

I've asked that question a few times. The bicep tendon was reported as torn. I really don't know if it can heal on it's own or not. Torn and detached tendons usually require the knife, but there are exceptions. Favre and Cook ain't gonna say anything and there is no team involved anymore to have a say.

Until the medical stuff is nailed down, who knows if Brett can play? The Favre I saw at the end of last season couldn't propel a football 20 yards with any juice on it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm amazed there are so many Favre Haters in this forum who want so desperately for Favre to stay retired.

You are behaving exactly like Ted Thompson.

mraynrand
05-08-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm amazed there are so many Favre Haters in this forum who want so desperately for Favre to stay retired.

http://www.foodkake.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/n674280427_1759547_3617.jpg

RashanGary
05-08-2009, 09:40 AM

:lol: LMAO :lol:

Fritz
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh, Harlan. You dog, you.

Scott Campbell
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm going to miss MOBB. We may not see him again until Favre goes to Canton.

RashanGary
05-08-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm going to miss MOBB. We may not see him again until Favre goes to Canton.

You'll be the only one ;)

retailguy
05-08-2009, 10:54 AM
man. leave for a few days and look what happens. This thread got to 15 pages? :shock:

Maybe, I'll have to actually read the whole thing. :oops:

Scott Campbell
05-08-2009, 11:23 AM
man. leave for a few days and look what happens.

It's not even summer yet. You'll probably get a couple more chances.

Fritz
05-08-2009, 12:27 PM
The end...I hope. Former Jets teammates react:

http://www.comcast.net/sports/russakoffrules/27656/jetsjustassickoffavreastherestofus/

Harlan Huckleby
05-08-2009, 01:59 PM

http://www.comcast.net/sports/russakoffrules/27656/jetsjustassickoffavreastherestofus/

:lol: nice headline

RashanGary
05-08-2009, 02:23 PM
You know, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for making a mockery of a hero. Those arrogant, ignorant Jets had their defensive play lifted, not by the additions of Chris Jenkins and Shaun Ellis in the front seven, but by the presence of Favre on the sideline.

Their offense got back to it's typical form, not because of the additions of Faneca and Woody on the line, the health of Thomas Jones and not having injury problems at QB. They got back to form solely because of Brett Favre :)

Ingreats. And if the Packers didn't have a legacy (cough cough, money) to protect, I'm sure there would be quite a few more statements from teh GB lockerroom about that selfish brat errr. . . hero too.

MOBB DEEP
05-08-2009, 10:14 PM

:lol: nice headline

VERY subjective: who says ENTIRE country sick?

not vikes!