PDA

View Full Version : Jack Kemp dies at 73

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Quarterback and politician (does this go in NFL or FYI?)

http://wtop.com/?nid=104&sid=1667195

wist43
05-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Quarterback and politician (does this go in NFL or FYI?)

http://wtop.com/?nid=104&sid=1667195

Don't think many people rememember his football career... I do remember a little of him on the gridiron though; okay QB, by today's standards he wouldn't have the skills to start probably.

What I remember him most for is being a neo-con who worked tirelessly to move the Republican Party further to the left... I'm not a Republican, just saying.

So FYI would be more appropriate on a guess.

sheepshead
05-03-2009, 08:35 AM
A truly great list of accomplishments and a great life long member of the GOP. Ill miss him.

SkinBasket
05-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Didn't he die once already like last year?

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2009, 09:24 AM
very solid guy. One of the most serious politicians I ever heard. By "serious" I mean he didn't hide behind slogans, very sincere and direct.

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Didn't he die once already like last year?

that was Scott Campbell. but he';s back.

Badgerinmaine
05-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Kemp was in the upper echelon of AFL quarterbacks for most of the league's history. He took the Bills to back to back AFL titles, and if they had won the next year--they lost the title game to the Chiefs--they would have met the Packers in Super Bowl I. He kept Daryle Lamonica--who played against the Pack in SB II--on the bench in Buffalo. I think he was an AFL all-pro six times too. He wasn't Jim Kelly, but I would think he'd have to up there with Joe Ferguson behind Kelly as one of the great all-time Bills QBs.

As a politician, I didn't usually see eye-to-eye with him; I'm an old school Great Society style Democrat. But he was one of the political figures of his day in either major party for whom I had the most respect. He cared about ideas and argued passionately for them. He was a consistent and thoughtful advocate for Reagan-style supply side economics; unlike wist, I wouldn't say he tried to move the Republicans to the left so much as he got them to talk about and focus on economic conservatism. And he was unequalled in the Republican Party of his time in trying to devise thoughtful, useful answers to matters such as race and poverty. He added a lot to the debate on these issues. Congress could use more people like him. May he rest in peace.