PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Introduction

Pages : [1] 2

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Hello all,

I'm the new owner of the site. There will be plenty of time for questions, but I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I understand that many of you have posted together for years and Madtownpacker has explained to me how this site first got started.

I've been reading here for quite a while but have never posted here. I used to be active on another large Packer board (that I'm sure you all have heard of), and look forward to being very active here in the coming months/years.

Personally, I'm 31, born and raised in Wisconsin, married with no kids (at this point). I'm a life long Packers fan, and can't imagine rooting for anyone else. Really am looking forward to this season, couldn't believe the draft, and was excited with both first round picks.

I've got an IT background, and will begin working on a new website soon. I know that there have been a lot of questions related to changes and we can discuss them, but part of my interest in this forum is the sense of community that is already here. I'm not looking to change that at all.

If you have private questions, you can always reach me at administrator@packerrats.com.

A public thanks to Madtownpacker for starting and developing this site into what it is. I am grateful to him for trusting me to finish what he's started. He's built a solid foundation that I am excited about continuing. We shared the same vision and goals, and that makes this transition easier. It was, and is, very important to him that changes be kept to a minimum.

Thanks!
:cow:

falco
05-03-2009, 03:26 PM
</delurk>

:lol:

arcilite
05-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Sup dude

Rastak
05-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I like the catchy name....Administrator!

I take it you now have the keys to the empire?

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Where are your manners, people?!?! Welcome to the...errr....your forum!

Rastak
05-03-2009, 03:32 PM

:oops:

Welcome to your forum!

Maxie the Taxi
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Welcome aboard, sir, good luck and a long tenure... [...How much do you want for the site? :) ]

falco
05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I feel a little uneasy about having an anonymous administrator. Hopefully you can find success with a "hands off" approach similar to what MTP was so successful with. I would point you towards the failure of the CE forum (which ultimately resulted in the creation of Packer Rats) as an example of what not to do.

Not that I have any say in it whatsoever...

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
I like the catchy name....Administrator!

I take it you now have the keys to the empire?

yep, as of today, I've got the keys.

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:38 PM

Welcome to your forum!

Nah. It belongs to all of us, somebody just has to run it. I'm the new guy around here! It's great to be here.

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Welcome aboard, sir, good luck and a long tenure... [...How much do you want for the site? :) ]

I'd probably think hard about taking that ring in your avatar. :D

Rastak
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Welcome to your forum!

Nah. It belongs to all of us, somebody just has to run it. I'm the new guy around here! It's great to be here.

Well in all seriousness...best of luck. There are a few nut cases here but not too many trolls. Those can really drag down a forum. Just the odd Bears troll really.

Gunakor

I'd probably think hard about taking that ring in your avatar. :D

Fat chance :D

Welcome to our forum!

:tup:

Administrator
I feel a little uneasy about having an anonymous administrator. Hopefully you can find success with a "hands off" approach similar to what MTP was so successful with. I would point you towards the failure of the CE forum (which ultimately resulted in the creation of Packer Rats) as an example of what not to do.

I'm not really anonymous. Just not very creative with the new name, I guess. :wink: My goal was to make it obvious as to who I was and that's why I picked that name.

I really don't intend to change very much at all. Over all things function pretty well. Plenty of opinions as to what to do and what not to do. Probably best to take it a day at a time and see where it goes.

falco
05-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not really anonymous. Just not very creative with the new name, I guess. :wink: My goal was to make it obvious as to who I was and that's why I picked that name.

I really don't intend to change very much at all. Over all things function pretty well. Plenty of opinions as to what to do and what not to do. Probably best to take it a day at a time and see where it goes.

Well, I'm on board for the ride. Here's hoping you become an active member of the forum, and no longer a lurker!

vince
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Welcome Chief and thanks in advance for the work and investment to provide this great Packer community to a great group of people!

Partial
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Are you going to come to the game?

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Well, I'm on board for the ride. Here's hoping you become an active member of the forum, and no longer a lurker!

Thanks. Yep, all my posting from this point forward is here. For better or worse, you're stuck with me!

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Are you going to come to the game?

Can't do that this year. I've got prior plans that I can't change, and the game was picked before I was here.

It is becoming a great annual tradition, though!

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Welcome Chief and thanks in advance for the work and investment to provide this great Packer community to a great group of people!

Thanks for the welcome!

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Sup dude

Appreciate the welcome!

Spaulding
05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks much to keeping a great thing going!! Looking forward to any changes you have in store and welcome as "Da man."

There, Operation Brown nosing complete, back to Operation Drink Beer until the OTA's :D

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I suggest you write down the names of anybody posting at this time, it's a gorgeous sunday afternoon in wisconsin, and the losers tend to be the trouble makers.

ps. Are you an angry Mexican too?

Administrator
05-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I suggest you write down the names of anybody posting at this time, it's a gorgeous sunday afternoon in wisconsin, and the losers tend to be the trouble makers.

Trouble List

1. - Harlan Huckleby

....etc. :P

Nope, I'm not mexican. I'll leave the angry part up to you.

Oscar
05-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Just came in form mowing the lawn. B E A utiful day her in Missouri. Welcome aboard sir Adm. :) Not worried bout makin the trouble maker list... Maybe the guy that doesn't post much list... :lol: Hope it all works out.

Administrator
05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Just came in form mowing the lawn. B E A utiful day her in Missouri. Welcome aboard sir Adm. :) Not worried bout makin the trouble maker list... Maybe the guy that doesn't post much list... :lol: Hope it all works out.

love the avatar! Thanks for the welcome.

Oscar
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Can we change my rat name to Despereaux rat?? :lol:

Administrator
05-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Can we change my rat name to Despereaux rat?? :lol:

Yeah, I think we can make that happen, I'll add that to my list.

SkinBasket
05-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Awesome. Sounds like the good ol' days when everything was exciting and new here, no one worried about anything serious, and only a few of us hated each other. My body used to be a wonderland. Now it's just a fun zone.

I sincerely hope you're up to the task of spending time with us and that you'll enjoy your time here.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 04:28 PM

Well it's crap here, so you're only competing with the laundry...

If we're changing rat names, can I finally get rid of desperate house rat? I haven't been home in well over a year. I'm shooting for MicroRat. Those who've met me will understand!

Bretsky
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Welcome to your forum

boiga
05-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Hello.

Good luck.

cheesner
05-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Coool! My portion is now up for sale to the highest bidder. PM me, highest bid by the end of the month gets it.

Welcome.

SkinBasket
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Dear Administrator,

Not to make work for you on your first day, but may nutz and I have our PMs reactivated please? I would have PMed you, but well...

I'm a very popular fellow and trying to respond to all of my PMs back through e-mail is terribly laborious.

Thank you,

The SkinBasket

sheepshead
05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, that was anything BUT an introduction. Who are you?

pbmax
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Hello and Welcome, let me introduce you to some of the folks around here:

1. Patler is the one who is always right
2. Partial is the one who is always wrong.*
3. SkinBasket has a Women's Hand and Mouse avatar that will cause you to forget what you were doing for two hours....
4. Bretsky is usually right but avoid his first and second round draft picks like the plague.
5. Justin Harrell will have a new screen name before the second week of camp after we decide who is underperforming.
6. Woodbuck is great, but he is pretty certain Brett Favre is right quite a bit of the time, certainly more often that we are right.
7. Ziggy is just trouble with a capital T.
8. Harvey Wallbangers will happily debate you on the explicit purpose of each of Brett Favre's INTs (and TDs).
9. Harlan is always serious, never snarky.
10. KYPack and Shadow are our youngest members.
11. pbmax used to think he was Fritz Shurmur's biggest fan until he met KYPack
12. Waldo has been embarrassing us all for almost a month now as we are just getting caught up to his speed. When he makes his first mistake, I am going to let him have it.
13. arclite is cooler than you. And cooler than your cool friends.
14. Lurker64 has performed a brain transplant with Mel Kiper for the months of February through May.
15. Mission probably knows a bit about music. Best not to test this.
16. Zool is just an even keel, steady as she goes guy. Except when he occasionally sends the apple cart over a nearby cliff.
17. Mr. AynRand is a certified expert on microfracture surgery.
18. Cleft Crusty actually is a retired member of the Journalistic profession who might still have a HOF vote. He is currently, however, heavily medicated.
19. CPK was having a great posting streak before and through the draft. And then somehow Brett Favre's name came up and things have been rough since.
20. GBRulz has moved somewhere where there is no internet and the Verizon guy is hopelessly lost (Can you here me now?).
21. sheepshead is certain this is some kind of conspiracy.

I am certain I have forgotten some notable people. But I need to go scour the JSO site for more reporting errors.

* Just kidding Partial, it was alliteration that made me do it! :lol:

mission
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
LOL

This is kinda funny... soooo, it's not Lurker?

I look forward to it... hopefully the social dynamic won't be discouraged.

pbmax
05-03-2009, 05:17 PM
How could I forget:

22. Rastak. Best Vikings fan ever. And, no, I don't consider that a low standard. Friendly neighborhood troll.
23. MNGolf. Like Rastak, less frequent.
22. DabaddestBear. Surprisingly reasonable.
23. BEARMAN LOTS OF CAPS HERE

PackRats, where even the trolls are friendly.

Hello and Welcome, let me introduce you to some of the folks around here:

1. Patler is the one who is always right
2. Partial is the one who is always wrong.*
3. SkinBasket has a Women's Hand and Mouse avatar that will cause you to forget what you were doing for two hours....
4. Bretsky is usually right but avoid his first and second round draft picks like the plague.
5. Justin Harrell will have a new screen name before the second week of camp after we decide who is underperforming.
6. Woodbuck is great, but he is pretty certain Brett Favre is right quite a bit of the time, certainly more often that we are right.
7. Ziggy is just trouble with a capital T.
8. Harvey Wallbangers will happily debate you on the explicit purpose of each of Brett Favre's INTs (and TDs).
9. Harlan is always serious, never snarky.
10. KYPack and Shadow are our youngest members.
11. pbmax used to think he was Fritz Shurmur's biggest fan until he met KYPack
12. Waldo has been embarrassing us all for almost a month now as we are just getting caught up to his speed. When he makes his first mistake, I am going to let him have it.
13. arclite is cooler than you. And cooler than your cool friends.
14. Lurker64 has performed a brain transplant with Mel Kiper for the months of February through May.
15. Mission probably knows a bit about music. Best not to test this.
16. Zool is just an even keel, steady as she goes guy. Except when he occasionally sends the apple cart over a nearby cliff.
17. Mr. AynRand is a certified expert on microfracture surgery.
18. Cleft Crusty actually is a retired member of the Journalistic profession who might still have a HOF vote. He is currently, however, heavily medicated.
19. CPK was having a great posting streak before and through the draft. And then somehow Brett Favre's name came up and things have been rough since.
20. GBRulz has moved somewhere where there is no internet and the Verizon guy is hopelessly lost (Can you here me now?).
21. sheepshead is certain this is some kind of conspiracy.

I am certain I have forgotten some notable people. But I need to go scour the JSO site for more reporting errors.

* Just kidding Partial, it was alliteration that made me do it! :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Welcome aboard!

Hey, would you like us to call you by some kind of name other than Administrator?

Mazzin
05-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Welcome aboard Admin. Untill otherwise notified I hear by declare you Edward!

Welcome EDD HEAD :)

Deputy Nutz
05-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Actually I am cool with someone that just wants to run that site, and we know him as that. Sure. I hope he is going to post here like a regular, but we at least know where we stand with him, he is the "Administrator". I am cool with that.

Well anyways. where are my manner, welcome. I for whatever reason am addicted to this place. It is a lovely little community and I am glad someone like yourself is here to keep it running for us.

If you need anyhting, I really like communication. I think it is cool. I am also going to start a new club, the no avatar club. I am not the first to post here without one, just well, the most famous. If you want in let me know.

Rastak
05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Freak Out can consider him the "Central Scrutinizer".

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Subtlety never was your strong suit, Nutz.

Deputy Nutz
05-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Subtlety never was your strong suit, Nutz.

nonsense.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I've edited you, remember?

packers11
05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi, I'm packers11... I'm the Terrell Owens of packerrats... Hope we can get along... This is MY fourm and MY world, so your going to have to get used to it...

j/k j/k :lol: i'm very easy going... glad to see your already active day 1 owning the place...

Welcome :glug:

Lurker64
05-03-2009, 06:39 PM

I just wanted his hair, honest!

That being said, I welcome our new admin overlord.

swede
05-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Hello.

I was the only guy in AV club that didn't know how to hook up the VCR, so I will be no help to you on that count.

I don't mind cleaning the erasers at the end of the day, though.

welcome.

SkinBasket
05-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Hot damn! My PM is back! Administrator, Overload, Romantic Interest. I'll call you whatever you like.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey! My rat name changed!! Woohoo!!! Makes up for screwing up my Outlook for 15 minutes 'cause I couldn't figure out what that error message was for. LOL. (no one said we were tech geniuses around here)

Rastak
05-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I give my full support to our new overlord. By the way, I could be useful in reporting subversives.....

Kidding.....

In addition to welcoming the new guy, I want to thank Madtown again for his hard work on the forum.

I look forward to the new Viking section. (Kidding again guys and gals).

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Interesting comment. Not sure what motivated that, but why don't you show us how to write a proper introduction?

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey! My rat name changed!! Woohoo!!! Makes up for screwing up my Outlook for 15 minutes 'cause I couldn't figure out what that error message was for. LOL. (no one said we were tech geniuses around here)

Not sure why you picked "desperate house rat" to begin with, but hey, what do I know? Somehow I think there is a story there. Can't wait to hear it.

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Hello.

I was the only guy in AV club that didn't know how to hook up the VCR, so I will be no help to you on that count.

I don't mind cleaning the erasers at the end of the day, though.

welcome.

Thanks, and thanks for the offer. Do you know how to get the ink out of these damn new erasers? Chalk I could handle, but these dry erasers just get gummy....

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Welcome aboard Admin. Untill otherwise notified I hear by declare you Edward!

Welcome EDD HEAD :)

Huh. Edward. Well, that's my Dad. Guess you're a good guesser!

thanks for the welcome.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Not sure why you picked "desperate house rat" to begin with, but hey, what do I know? Somehow I think there is a story there. Can't wait to hear it.

"Picked" is a relative term...

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM
I give my full support to our new overlord. By the way, I could be useful in reporting subversives.....

Kidding.....

In addition to welcoming the new guy, I want to thank Madtown again for his hard work on the forum.

Informants are always useful. :wink:

What makes a Viking fan hang out here besides Viking week 2x per year? You've obviously been here a while... so you must like it.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM

Kidding.....

What makes a Viking fan hang out here besides Viking week 2x per year? You've obviously been here a while... so you must like it.

Besides an abiding love for us, have you ever tried to have a decent football discussion with a Viking forum?

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Hot damn! My PM is back! Administrator, Overload, Romantic Interest. I'll call you whatever you like.

You're welcome. You can call me God, to everyone else, I'm Joe. (no kidding)

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Kidding.....

Besides an abiding love for us, have you ever tried to have a decent football discussion with a Viking forum?

Yeah, that would kind of explain it. Do they blow the horn when they post? :wink:

GrnBay007
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Welcome

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:32 PM

Oh. Well maybe I should have left it alone. You know, nostalgia....

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Welcome

Thank you.

MJZiggy
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Oh. Well maybe I should have left it alone. You know, nostalgia....

Lol, it was done in good humor, just damn hard to get rid of.

Rastak
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM

Kidding.....

As the new head guy you deserve the full story.

Background:

I work near the Wisconsin border so lots of Wisconsinites work where I work and most are Packer fans. I enjoy talkiing football and since many of my co-workers are Packer fans I decided to learn more about my favorite teams main rival so I could talk seriously about both teams. I started reading the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's football forum about 1995. Even then Tex as preaching the cult of the kool-aid was interesting.

After the major moron guy that started stalking some members of the forum did his thing, I fled along with a core of really good posters and interesting people to a new forum called Christen Encourager. We were all there for a bit and then Harlen and Mad stepped up and created this new forum. The one you currently own!

My motivation is rather simple really. I hate ultra homerism and I hate trolls. Hate is the proper term. I read many Viking blogs but the few forums I visit have lots of moron Packer trolls and lots of ultra homerism Vike fans. I am optimistic (not quite to the Harvey Wallbangers level) but don't gloss over serious issues with my favorite team. At least not on purpose!

So I enjoy reading about what people think about the Vikings main rival and I enjoy some of the very clever folks here. How can one not enjoy a forum with Shamler! (one of my favorite posters, Patler). My high post count is mainly from live threads where I post for hours during the event (a game or the draft). So don't overestimate my contributution....but I do enjoy the forum.

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Kidding.....

As the new head guy you deserve the full story.

Background:

I work near the Wisconsin border so lots of Wisconsinites work where I work and most are Packer fans. I enjoy talkiing football and since many of my co-workers are Packer fans I decided to learn more about my favorite teams main rival so I could talk seriously about both teams. I started reading the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's football forum about 1995. Even then Tex as preaching the cult of the kool-aid was interesting.

After the major moron guy that started stalking some members of the forum did his thing, I fled along with a core of really good posters and interesting people to a new forum called Christen Encourager. We were all there for a bit and then Harlen and Mad stepped up and created this new forum. The one you currently own!

My motivation is rather simple really. I hate ultra homerism and I hate trolls. Hate is the proper term. I read many Viking blogs but the few forums I visit have lots of moron Packer trolls and lots of ultra homerism Vike fans. I am optimistic (not quite to the Harvey Wallbangers level) but don't gloss over serious issues with my favorite team. At least not on purpose!

So I enjoy reading about what people think about the Vikings main rival and I enjoy some of the very clever folks here. How can one not enjoy a forum with Shamler! (one of my favorite posters, Patler). My high post count is mainly from live threads where I post for hours during the event (a game or the draft). So don't overestimate my contributution....but I do enjoy the forum.

Hey thanks for this. Appreciate the background. Know a little of this, through my discussions with Madtownpacker, but good to know the history. Appreciate the comments on trolling too. I couldn't agree more. Occasionally, I visit other teams forums, but have never acted like an idiot.

I'd guess we'll get a few of those around here too!

Pacopete4
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Administrator
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the forum!

thanks!

falco
05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Rastak, interesting to hear that you've been around since 1995. I would be curious to know when others started at JSO. I started posting there around 2004.

Harlan Huckleby
05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
hey Mr. Admin,

Can I get a new rat name too? Pretty please? Can I be "chickenhawk rat"?

mraynrand
05-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Yeah, that would kind of explain it. Do they blow the horn when they post? :wink:

That's funny. Hopefully you will not add a sound feature to the site.

Cheesehead Craig
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Welcome aboard! Hopefully this site lives up to all the hopes and dreams you have for it.

RashanGary
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Hi, Admin.

Congrats for taking over. This is a cool site.

Rastak
05-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Kidding.....

Yea, but it's extremely troll infested which pretty much destroys any chance of intelligent conversation.

red
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
best of luck new guy

there's a few on here that are going to try and test your patience right away

stay strong

pbmax
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM

Perhaps its Joe Arrigo, the head of a clandestine network of inside operatives with scooptastic tidbits about the inner workings of the Packers?

Fosco33
05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Best of luck and Welcome aboard.

Zool
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Welcome to it Joe. Its gonna be a good ride. Thanks for picking up what some of us are addicted to.

Big thanks to HH for the infancy of PR.
Big thanks to Madtown for getting us through the teen years.

BallHawk
05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Hello. My name is BallHawk and I'm a 45-year old man who pretends to be a 16-year old boy.

Pleasure to meet you.

GrnBay007
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Hello. My name is BallHawk and I'm a 45-year old man who pretends to be a 16-year old boy.

Pleasure to meet you.

Coming out of the closet, eh? :wink:

:D

retailguy
05-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Well. it seems appropriate to welcome the new guy with my 5,000th post.

Welcome! There are a "bunch of nuts" around here. You've got no idea what you've bought. But you'll find out soon enough. Most of 'em are a good lot. :wink:

gbgary
05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
hello, congrats and welcome! :bow:

cpk1994
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
hello, congrats and welcome! :bow:I echo this sentiment.

Willard
05-03-2009, 09:50 PM
hello, congrats and welcome! :bow:I echo this sentiment.
+1 from Raider/Niner country Where its raining, by the way). Congrats!

gex
05-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Welcome aboard the magic bus!
Here's the wheel, your driving 8-)

Freak Out
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Say hey admin.....not going to scroll through the whole thread of welcome's, how do you do's and general ass kissing and hope this has not been asked yet but was wondering if we are going to be seeing adds anytime soon?

Kind regards,

FO

oregonpackfan
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Let me give you a welcome from the West Coast, Administrator! Though I migrated from Wisconsin many years ago, my loyalty to the Packers has never wavered.

sheepshead
05-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Interesting comment. Not sure what motivated that, but why don't you show us how to write a proper introduction?

Oh, I dont know, like maybe your name? I wasn't commenting on your grammar, just who the heck are you? I am on a few sites where we actually know one another and the guy who runs it is well know. At the moment you know more about me than I know about you.

Brohm
05-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Welcome! :!: :arrow: :)

Rastak
05-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Say hey admin.....not going to scroll through the whole thread of welcome's, how do you do's and general ass kissing and hope this has not been asked yet but was wondering if we are going to be seeing adds anytime soon?

Kind regards,

FO

And you were mentioned specifically earlier, then you skip the whole thing!

mission
05-04-2009, 03:02 AM

Oh, I dont know, like maybe your name? I wasn't commenting on your grammar, just who the heck are you? I am on a few sites where we actually know one another and the guy who runs it is well know. At the moment you know more about me than I know about you.

What's your name?

What's Mad's name?

I don't know ... Shit, I'll call him Ad after awhile ... :lol:

Fritz
05-04-2009, 06:37 AM

If he ends up telling us his name is O'Brien, I'm going to be nervous. Reall nervous.

Sincerely,

Winston Smith

mraynrand
05-04-2009, 07:25 AM

If he ends up telling us his name is O'Brien, I'm going to be nervous. Reall nervous.

Sincerely,

Winston Smith

I think you are ready for room 101, Mr. Smith.

Fritz
05-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Sincerely,

Winston Smith

I think you are ready for room 101, Mr. Smith.

Oh, rats.

KYPack
05-04-2009, 08:20 AM
A literary reference from Fritz & Ayn, eh?

Rats indeed, a bunch of 'em.

Hey Joe, waddya know?

Hello from KY, wishing ya luck.

AtlPackFan
05-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Congrats and welcome.

You will find I post seldom. While I am a fanatical GB Pack Fan, I don't have the in-depth football knowledge that many of the Packer Rats posters do so I find it more informative (and more entertaining) to simply read all the comments back and forth.

Freak Out
05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Freak Out can consider him the "Central Scrutinizer".

The "Admin" is probably set up in Joe's Garage. :)

Gunakor
05-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Hmm. With his very first post he told me more about himself than I know about any other rat here. His age, his occupation, where he grew up... I don't know that much about you or Patler or Fritz or Mission or anyone else who posts here. Is it just the name Administrator that bothers you? Just call him Admin, same as you'd call Madtown Madtown. No big deal.

Patler
05-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Hello all,

I'm the new owner of the site.

My condolences to you. All I can say is, we all make mistakes in our lives. But, you are young. You can recover from this one! :)

AV David
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Please do not make the new format a testament to technology and innovation that makes it confusing or difficult to use.

Fritz
05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Amen to that. I just figured out how to use this site last week, finally...

Partial
05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
New boss:

Can you please implement the "multiquote" functionality? There are several plugins for it for phpbb. It allows you to click a button that "saves" to your reply block, so you can respond to numerous posters with one reply in an easy manner versus putting up 5 posts?

Also, installing the "ignore poster" plugin would be great. I could then easily ignore the SkinBasket and he could then easily ignore me.

Thanks,
Partial

sheepshead
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Also, how about a rating box? thumbs up thumbs down: 1-5 etc. This would allow us to express our pleasure or displeasure of a particular post without creating a new post to slam a guy.

8-)

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Can I get my pm's enabled? They were disabled a long time ago for rubbing Rodgers success into 007 one game-night when I came home after a few too many beers. It was the only time in 3 years (or whatever it's been) that I've had an issue with that.

Mad gave it back to me a while back, but it seems one of the other mods turned the block back on (for no apparent reason).

Since I can't pm you, I have to communicate here.

BallHawk
05-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Can you find me the golden ticket while you're at it?

packrulz
05-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Welcome Admin-guy! I hope you will keep this site the way it is for the most part. Good luck!

Partial
05-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Can you find me the golden ticket while you're at it?

Hey now wise guy :wink: My suggestion would take this forum to a new level. Those features are AWESOME, especially the multiquote. I've been nagging Madtown for years to install the free plugin for both.

Oscar
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I may stand alone here.. I think the forum format is just fine as it is..

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Also, installing the "ignore poster" plugin would be great. I could then easily ignore the SkinBasket and he could then easily ignore me.

Thanks,
Partial

I'm not so sure this is a great idea P. He could easily ignore you, but so could everybody else.

And I might find myself in the same boat.

Oscar
05-04-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks,
Partial

I'm not so sure this is a great idea P. He could easily ignore you, but so could everybody else.

I may have to rethink my last post. :P

CaptainKickass
05-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Captain Kickass checking in.

Insert obligitory welcome message here.

cpk1994
05-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks,
Partial

And I might find myself in the same boat.In that case I am all for an ignore feature.

Zool
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
This forum isnt big enough for the ignore feature. Is it not possible to just simply not reply to something?

cpk1994
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
This forum isnt big enough for the ignore feature. Is it not possible to just simply not reply to something?The point of the ignore feature is so you don't have to read the posts of certain people to begin with. Its a lot easier to filter the garbage out.

Zool
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
This forum isnt big enough for the ignore feature. Is it not possible to just simply not reply to something?The point of the ignore feature is so you don't have to read the posts of certain people to begin with. Its a lot easier to filter the garbage out.

I guess I just do that anyways. I don't need software to do it for me.

cpk1994
05-04-2009, 04:49 PM

I guess I just do that anyways. I don't need software to do it for me.I guess you have a better attention span and more patience than guys like me.

pbmax
05-04-2009, 05:05 PM
This forum isnt big enough for the ignore feature. Is it not possible to just simply not reply to something?
I think this is possible programmatically, but impossible genetically.

Zool
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM

I guess I just do that anyways. I don't need software to do it for me.I guess you have a better attention span and more patience than guys like me.

Its basically muscle memory. I see an av, I skip. I'm like a lot of people here I think. When someone changes their AV it takes me a bit to remember who they are.

Administrator
05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
best of luck new guy

there's a few on here that are going to try and test your patience right away

stay strong

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Administrator
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM

Perhaps its Joe Arrigo, the head of a clandestine network of inside operatives with scooptastic tidbits about the inner workings of the Packers?

I figured this would come up. Nope, I'm not him, I'm just "your average Joe". :wink:

Administrator
05-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Kind regards,

FO

I picked this one of many questions to respond to. Lots of requests and some concern about features and direction.

Way too soon to give you a detailed plan of where things are headed, so if you're looking for that, I'm sorry but for now, you'll be disappointed. I don't have one.

Couple of important points though. 1st, I don't want to "lose" what this site has, and that's a core group of people with a love for the Packers. The site itself functions well, with the exception of a few people, most seem to get along. Not going to do anything to disrupt what works well.

The question of ad banners is a good one. Do I like them? No. Do they generate revenue? Sometimes. Am I going to "litter" the site with ad banners? No. Would I rule out having a couple in the right circumstance? Too soon to say, but having ad banners is not a goal. Those google banners seem almost worthless to me.

What I'm more interested in doing is providing additional features to what we currently have here. Finding a revenue source would help with that. But that will take time. If you have ideas, I'd invite you to PM me. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, both good and bad.

For right now, I just want to upgrade the site a bit. Upgrade doesn't include major changes, nor does it include massive functionality changes. Fritz - not sure if you were joking or not, but you'll continue to navigate just fine. promise!

I gave Madtownpacker my word that I wouldn't "change" the essence of what Packerats.com is about. I meant it when I agreed to it, and I intend to do what I said I'd do. That doesn't mean we won't change around here, if we don't we'll get stale, (which isn't good for anyone), but that does mean it will be gradual.

Top priority is to keep talking about Packer football. That won't change. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Freak Out
05-04-2009, 06:38 PM

Kind regards,

FO

I picked this one of many questions to respond to. Lots of requests and some concern about features and direction.

Way too soon to give you a detailed plan of where things are headed, so if you're looking for that, I'm sorry but for now, you'll be disappointed. I don't have one.

Couple of important points though. 1st, I don't want to "lose" what this site has, and that's a core group of people with a love for the Packers. The site itself functions well, with the exception of a few people, most seem to get along. Not going to do anything to disrupt what works well.

The question of ad banners is a good one. Do I like them? No. Do they generate revenue? Sometimes. Am I going to "litter" the site with ad banners? No. Would I rule out having a couple in the right circumstance? Too soon to say, but having ad banners is not a goal. Those google banners seem almost worthless to me.

What I'm more interested in doing is providing additional features to what we currently have here. Finding a revenue source would help with that. But that will take time. If you have ideas, I'd invite you to PM me. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, both good and bad.

For right now, I just want to upgrade the site a bit. Upgrade doesn't include major changes, nor does it include massive functionality changes. Fritz - not sure if you were joking or not, but you'll continue to navigate just fine. promise!

I gave Madtownpacker my word that I wouldn't "change" the essence of what Packerats.com is about. I meant it when I agreed to it, and I intend to do what I said I'd do. That doesn't mean we won't change around here, if we don't we'll get stale, (which isn't good for anyone), but that does mean it will be gradual.

Top priority is to keep talking about Packer football. That won't change. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Thanks for the response.

HowardRoark
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks,
Partial

I accidently used the ignore function on TexasPackerBacker a few weeks ago....it works great. I haven't read a Tex post since.

Gunakor
05-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks,
Partial

I accidently used the ignore function on TexasPackerBacker a few weeks ago....it works great. I haven't read a Tex post since.

Speaking of, where has Tex been? I've only seen him post one time since the draft, regarding Raji and Matthews. Hope he's okay.

Partial
05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
*multiquote* chant is heard in the distance, slowly getting louder... :D

Mazzin
05-04-2009, 07:18 PM
What happens if you have someone block, and that person then starts a thread?!? :?:

woodbuck27
05-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Surprized to see that Mad sold. He did a great thing here.

No less Forum Administrator. Good luck with your aspirations with OUR Green Bay Packer forum and welcome Packer fan. :D

50 Years a Packer fan. woodbuck27

Tyrone Bigguns
05-04-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks,
Partial

That must have been an admin feature...as i haven't read one either. Thanx!!

HowardRoark
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Hope he's okay.

I thought the same thing. You never know with these old guys. I am also a little concerned because I think Tim Russert could kick his ass.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Hope he's okay.

I thought the same thing. You never know woth these old guys. I am also a little concerned because I think Tim Russert could kick his ass.

No need for Tim, big Russ would take care of TEx.

Gunakor
05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Hope he's okay.

I thought the same thing. You never know woth these old guys. I am also a little concerned because I think Tim Russert could kick his ass.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Partial
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
What happens if you have someone block, and that person then starts a thread?!? :?:

You don't see it. You don't see any part of that user except if anyone quotes them typically. It may even block the quote of that person. Not sure. I've never had to block anyone. Skin would be the first.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM

You don't see it. You don't see any part of that user except if anyone quotes them typically. It may even block the quote of that person. Not sure. I've never had to block anyone. Skin would be the first.

So what happens when Nutz says - "Hey Partial, Skinbasket says you can take an overripe cucumber and............."

And lots of people tell you these types of things whether or not Skin actually said something. Then what?

Partial
05-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I would hope that people have a little more sense than that. It's a hugely popular vBulletin feature, but several people have written open-source plugins for phpbb.

That would just be a bonus. The real feature I'm after is multi-quote. That is by far and away the best feature that vBulletin has that phpBB lacks out of the box and can be added via plugin.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I would hope that people have a little more sense than that.

Even after knowing us for years? :lol:

What does multi-quote do?

Partial
05-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Multi-quote allows one to address multiple posts in a quick manner. Take page 4 of this thread. Each post would have a "Multiquote" button.

You can click that button for any post you want to respond to, and when you finally click on "post reply" for any of said posts or the bottom button, your reply text block will have all of the quoted text in it.

This is especially great for someone late to the scene, so they can reply to 5-6 people in one post easily and quickly, instead of making 5 separate posts.

It's really a great feature. I use it all the time on my mac forum.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
It's really a great feature. I use it all the time on my mac forum.

Use it more.

SkinBasket
05-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I oftentimes meet a new person and after they introduce themselves, I find that I am somewhat intimidated or confused by their "ideas" so I close my eyes tight and shout, "If I can't see you, you don't exist!"

When I open my eyes, they're gone, so I'm all for being able to do that in the virtual world. I should mention that I am a completely normal, socially adjusted person who addresses reality much in the same way I address this forum. I believe real men solve things with words and I am absolutely regularly proportioned.

Zool
05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
There has been more bickering in the last 3 days then there has been in months. Are we just giving Joe a trial by fire?

Partial
05-04-2009, 10:22 PM
There has been more bickering in the last 3 days then there has been in months. Are we just giving Joe a trial by fire?

Nope, Skin has decided to become a bigger douche than usual.

Joe, my apologies for the actions around here. I've asked Skin countless times to not address me in any way, shape or form on these forums, but he simply refuses and continues to make snarky remarks. Perhaps you can talk some sense into him. Dude is off his rocker beyond belief and has caused Mad nothing but headaches.

Zool
05-04-2009, 10:24 PM
God damnit Partial. Arguments are 2 way streets otherwise its just a crazy person yelling at nothing. Either knock it off or step up and take some responsibility for your own actions.

GrnBay007
05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I've asked Skin countless times to not address me in any way, shape or form on these forums, but he simply refuses and continues to make snarky remarks.

Try something new. Completely ignore each other! :idea:

.....but then again, it is off season entertainment. :P :wink:

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
.........and has caused Mad nothing but headaches.

Harlan told me we got bonus points for that. Have I been misled?

MJZiggy
05-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Nope, Skin has decided to become a bigger douche than usual.

Joe, my apologies for the actions around here. I've asked Skin countless times to not address me in any way, shape or form on these forums, but he simply refuses and continues to make snarky remarks. Perhaps you can talk some sense into him. Dude is off his rocker beyond belief and has caused Mad nothing but headaches.

Just so you know when this turns out how it usually does, I don't know the new owner so I can't ask to have you unbanned. Keep this firmly in mind before you hit the reply button. (not that I asked to have you unbanned last time either.) And who knows, next time you get banned, it may just stick.

Partial
05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
God damnit Partial. Arguments are 2 way streets otherwise its just a crazy person yelling at nothing. Either knock it off or step up and take some responsibility for your own actions.

Such as? I've requested him to stop. He won't. He continues to poke the bear. We all know what happens.

Harlan Huckleby
05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
You can click that button for any post you want to respond to, and when you finally click on "post reply" for any of said posts or the bottom button, your reply text block will have all of the quoted text in it.

This is especially great for someone late to the scene, so they can reply to 5-6 people in one post easily and quickly, instead of making 5 separate posts.

I can't imagine ever wanting to reply to more than one poster. It's hard enough finding a single post to reply to.

But then again, I tried using twitter and couldn't believe how ridiculous it was. And I find text messaging about as fun as pounding-out morse code in a POW camp. So maybe Partial is onto a really hot idea here, and my revulsion proves it.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
He continues to poke the bear. We all know what happens.

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/01/downgoesrex.jpg

Partial
05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't think I will be banned. I don't think I've done anything wrong. I think it's really crappy that Skin is allowed to personally attack people, continue to make sarcastic remarks, and allude to the pictures which should have resulted in he and Nutz being banned in the first place.

It's shitty, and it just goes to show how the gang mentality works around here. Everyone likes him for some bizaar reason that I cannot comprehend. He doesn't contribute anything to the Packer portion other than complaining about Bigby, where as I at the very least contribute articles to the homepage annually, write up a detailed mock draft and big board, etc.

It's amazing how everyone and their mother jumps on my case for disliking Rodgers when he does the exact same to Bigby. Nearly player has proven much, both have been injury prone throughout their careers, etc. Yet I catch all the flack in the world, and he gets to walk around scott free of criticism. Funny how that works, yet I can't say I'm surprised.

Dude is a liar, and has been caught on here more times than I have fingers. I don't understand why anyone would put his with his garbage and incessant whining, but people do, and that never seizes to amaze me. Remember last year why the big baby opted out of going to the game because he was tired of Mad's BS and censorship because he wouldn't put "NSFW" on threads where he wanted to post inappropriate photos? C'mon, the dude has been nothing but a whiner as long as I can remember. What about his hissy fit about taking his "art work" down.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2009, 11:10 PM
I figured this would come up. Nope, I'm not him, I'm just "your average Joe". :wink:

So, joemailman is the new owner? It doesn't get more average than that. I'm all for joemailman (despite his political leanings) being the new owner.

SnakeLH2006
05-05-2009, 02:39 AM
Yo what's up Adminstrator? Snake thought it was kinda funny/awesome a new poster would pick that name, but liked it. And does now, too, seeing how that's the deal. Hopefully you keep the site similar as most of us have been members for quite awhile and abhor the other Packer websites that got cultish and MOD crazy like PackerChatters and FF (as Snake had to go when it got too rumor crazy) and most of us love it here and are quite passionate and knowledgable about the Packers....Know many buds that don't post/aren't a member that just come here for insight, and don't blame them at all. It's a good site.

2 things to fix:

1) PM's...not enough space to send/receive it seems. Sometimes the PM's don't go through with space limitations.
2) Please drop the banhammer quick on the trolls...there's only a few, and if you read here for awhile, you know the few that stir it up and get REAL Packer talk off topic quick with their track record. Form your own opinion as I'm sure you will quick.

Snake gets along with everyone, but can't stand seeing a certain few not contribute anything to Packer talk and just continue to shred/hiljack threads. Snake's kinda the 3rd person Mod at times, but much funnier than that, and oh yah....3rd person. LOL.

BTW, what becomes of our hero Bretsky (now just a poster), etc? Who will be the new mods?

Best of luck bro, and look forward to your insight, future transgressions for this AWESOME PR website. Hopefully you prove to be half the Packer fan that our Die Hard Rats are. Green and gold baby. Green and gold.

GO PACK. :D

SkinBasket
05-05-2009, 07:19 AM

Such as? I've requested him to stop. He won't. He continues to poke the bear. We all know what happens.

lets all take advantage of the "fresh start" now that we know there really is a new owner.

I am taking advantage of the fresh start and discontinuing this conversation. I would encourage others to do the same to avoid the risk of having yourself or your loved ones insulted by someone on an internet forum. All that needed to be said has been said and just as in the Vince Young thread, I refuse to further indulge Partial's poisonous rantings. We've all been down this road enough before to know where it leads and how it ends.

Skin has decided to become a bigger douche than usual.

Dude is off his rocker beyond belief

Dude is a liar

the big baby

the dude has been nothing but a whiner

hurleyfan
05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the new Admin / Big Cheese!

I've been around for quite some time, started over at JSonline, and left with the "lawyer joe" crap.

I'm 51, a transplanted "yuper" now in New York. You'd be surprised how many Packer fans are around here!

I don't post very often, still struggling to get to the "magic 1,000" but read most of the posts...

Good luck, and please, no adds!

sheepshead
05-05-2009, 08:00 AM
So, are you ever going to introduce yourself? Every website I can think of has at least one person that you know. Banner ads are fine with me. I'm all for capitalism and you should be able to turn a buck here putting up with assholes like me.

:)

cpk1994
05-05-2009, 08:17 AM
What happens if you have someone block, and that person then starts a thread?!? :?:In the forums where I have seen it used. It shows the thread but where the topic is described it says "This post is ignored by user". It gives you the option to click on the thread to open it and also an option to read the particular post if you wish.

cpk1994
05-05-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't think I will be banned. I don't think I've done anything wrong. I think it's really crappy that Skin is allowed to personally attack people, continue to make sarcastic remarks, and allude to the pictures which should have resulted in he and Nutz being banned in the first place.

It's shitty, and it just goes to show how the gang mentality works around here. Everyone likes him for some bizaar reason that I cannot comprehend. He doesn't contribute anything to the Packer portion other than complaining about Bigby, where as I at the very least contribute articles to the homepage annually, write up a detailed mock draft and big board, etc.

It's amazing how everyone and their mother jumps on my case for disliking Rodgers when he does the exact same to Bigby. Nearly player has proven much, both have been injury prone throughout their careers, etc. Yet I catch all the flack in the world, and he gets to walk around scott free of criticism. Funny how that works, yet I can't say I'm surprised.

Dude is a liar, and has been caught on here more times than I have fingers. I don't understand why anyone would put his with his garbage and incessant whining, but people do, and that never seizes to amaze me. Remember last year why the big baby opted out of going to the game because he was tired of Mad's BS and censorship because he wouldn't put "NSFW" on threads where he wanted to post inappropriate photos? C'mon, the dude has been nothing but a whiner as long as I can remember. What about his hissy fit about taking his "art work" down.You do know what the word "hypocrisy" means dont you? Becuase you just posted the textbook definition of it.

sheepshead
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Dude is a liar, and has been caught on here more times than I have fingers. I don't understand why anyone would put his with his garbage and incessant whining, but people do, and that never seizes to amaze me. Remember last year why the big baby opted out of going to the game because he was tired of Mad's BS and censorship because he wouldn't put "NSFW" on threads where he wanted to post inappropriate photos? C'mon, the dude has been nothing but a whiner as long as I can remember. What about his hissy fit about taking his "art work" down.

I think you need your mommy.

Administrator
05-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Well. I guess it sends a strong message to me when my introduction thread gets trashed.

I came in and thought it best to offer blanket amnesty. I really hoped a "fresh start" would be appreciated by those that needed it, and not abused. Though I'm not naive, I guess I didn't expect the thumb in my eye during the 1st week.

I want you to know that I blame both of you for trashing this thread, equally. Partial, you've posted the same stuff, over and over in at least 6 threads. Skinbasket, you've posted over and over that you're not going to get dragged into this at all, then you get dragged in, all the while posting that you aren't going to get dragged into it.

For those of you who felt the need to respond or push them on further, please stop. Your actions aren't appreciated either.

I liberally gave second chances, that won't happen with third chances. I'm tired of reading both of your whining, and I expect it will stop today. That includes all the threads in the other forums too. I am certainly not interested in seeing further posts justifying how and why your stuff were "reasonable" responses.

sheepshead
05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Looks like the 'sacred cow' list from the previous gang didnt get passed along. Bravo Mr. Administrator who ever you are.

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Well. I guess it sends a strong message to me when my introduction thread gets trashed.

I came in and thought it best to offer blanket amnesty. I really hoped a "fresh start" would be appreciated by those that needed it, and not abused. Though I'm not naive, I guess I didn't expect the thumb in my eye during the 1st week.

I want you to know that I blame both of you for trashing this thread, equally. Partial, you've posted the same stuff, over and over in at least 6 threads. Skinbasket, you've posted over and over that you're not going to get dragged into this at all, then you get dragged in, all the while posting that you aren't going to get dragged into it.

For those of you who felt the need to respond or push them on further, please stop. Your actions aren't appreciated either.

I liberally gave second chances, that won't happen with third chances. I'm tired of reading both of your whining, and I expect it will stop today. That includes all the threads in the other forums too. I am certainly not interested in seeing further posts justifying how and why your stuff were "reasonable" responses.

All this is completely at your discretion but before you lower the boom, may I suggest updating the forum rules so we know specifically what you want to avoid (and where you want to avoid it). I can easily ignore the back and forth sniping between a couple of people, especially when it is limited, and especially if it is FYI and RR forums. If you eliminate any back and forth sniping, you'll effectively reduce the population here about 80%. Do you have a specific cutoff in mind - such as no personal comments or no personal comments outside certain threads? No 'excessive' sniping? It's a tough line to walk. Anyone can see that the back and forth here is poisonous, but there are other levels of back and forth that tend to come close. I've engaged in some of that myself on FYI/RR, so I guess you could start by banning Mrayn....# !UrrK#$%#%%#! HELP....Help....help...

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 10:51 AM

Looks like the 'sacred cow' list from the previous gang didnt get passed along. Bravo Mr. Administrator who ever you are.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 10:53 AM
If you eliminate any back and forth sniping, you'll effectively reduce the population here about 80%.

I'm just relieved that I fall into the saintly 20%.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
There are no good people or bad people. Good people who argue with bad people are just as bad as the bad people. And the good people might actually be bad people and not know it. The only thing you can say for sure is that people who need people are the luckiest people.

sheepshead
05-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Hey Dell, next time try to have a point, it makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
The only thing you can say for sure is that people who need people are the luckiest people.

I always figured you for a Streisand fan.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Hey Dell, next time try to have a point, it makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

I was hoping it was obvious and I wouldn't have to get into a pissing match. But as long as my fly is down, here goes:

In one post, you take a nasty swipe at Partial.

At the very next post, you are complimenting the monitor, encouraging him to crack down on Bad People, regardless of their status.

You obviously have defined yourself as a Good People, Partial as a Bad People. And therefore it is fine for you as a Good People to respond to a Bad People in any way you see fit.

Even if somebody is a troll in your mind, you are no better than them when you respond.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
The only thing you can say for sure is that people who need people are the luckiest people.

The big three: Judy, Liza, Barbara

Fritz
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM

The big three: Judy, Liza, Barbara

Good try, but you've been "outed" - it's "Barbra"

"Barbra Streisand
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

sheepshead
05-05-2009, 11:32 AM

I was hoping it was obvious and I wouldn't have to get into a pissing match. But as long as my fly is down, here goes:

In one post, you take a nasty swipe at Partial.

At the very next post, you are complimenting the monitor, encouraging him to crack down on Bad People, regardless of their status.

You obviously have defined yourself as a Good People, Partial as a Bad People. And therefore it is fine for you as a Good People to respond to a Bad People in any way you see fit.

Even if somebody is a troll in your mind, you are no better than them when you respond.

No, I was complimenting him on his even handedness. If telling that guy that he needs some parental attention is nasty. I'm in the wrong place. (you must have something else to do besides this)

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
All this is completely at your discretion but before you lower the boom, may I suggest updating the forum rules so we know specifically what you want to avoid (and where you want to avoid it). I can easily ignore the back and forth sniping between a couple of people, especially when it is limited, and especially if it is FYI and RR forums. If you eliminate any back and forth sniping, you'll effectively reduce the population here about 80%. Do you have a specific cutoff in mind - such as no personal comments or no personal comments outside certain threads? No 'excessive' sniping? It's a tough line to walk. Anyone can see that the back and forth here is poisonous, but there are other levels of back and forth that tend to come close. I've engaged in some of that myself on FYI/RR, so I guess you could start by banning Mrayn....# !UrrK#$%#%%#! HELP....Help....help...

I second what Ayn is saying here.

Everybody has in their mind what good conduct is, and you assume it is "just common sense." But people in individual situations ALWAYS think they are being reasonable, and its the other guy(s) who are unreasonable. If some guidelines are written down, the perps are less likely to feel picked-on, and the monitor doesn't have to play the Heavy in every situation.

I think it is fine if the Admin writes the conduct rules. If I were Admin, I would let an elected committee of two or three people do it, that has some advantages.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

In your shoes I might be calling the bank to initiate a stop payment on the check. I feel bad that the honeymoon seems like it's over already. That is unfortunate, though if you've been reading here for any time at all, not completely unexpected.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
If I were Admin, I would let an elected committee of two or three people do it, that has some advantages.

Great idea! I nominate Harlan, Skinbasket and Partial.

Good luck fellas!

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I feel bad that the honeymoon seems like it's over already.

honeymoon? more like a quickie in the backseat.

although I suppose you have far more experience with new brides than me.

falco
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
For what it's worth, one of the main reasons I come here is for the drama. Not to create it, mind you, but to observe it. Great stories come from well fleshed out characters, and this place is chock full of em.

As it is your forum, you are free to lay down the laws and enforce them as you see fit. If you are looking for my input, let it all go unless a severe line is crossed (personal information, physical threats, unwanted harassment towards an individual poster).

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
For what it's worth, one of the main reasons I come here is for the drama. Not to create it, mind you, but to observe it. Great stories come from well fleshed out characters, and this place is chock full of em.

Good point Grasshopper. Cunfucius say "man who cuts too deeply removing warts sometimes removes his soul." Or sumthin.

I smell a conundrum.

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
If I were Admin, I would let an elected committee of two or three people do it, that has some advantages.

Good luck fellas!

I nominate Harvy, Harlan, Zool as my 3. Even though Zool can be a pain in the ass, he did a great job around here.

falco
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that this is a fickle bunch... crack down too hard and someone will start packercats.com or something similar.

I'd keep an eye on Harlan in particular, as he has a track record of doing so...

Cleft Crusty
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM

I think you are off your rocker. Perhaps you could use some of my anti-psychotic medication.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Good luck fellas!

I nominate Harvy, Harlan, Zool as my 3. Even though Zool can be a pain in the ass, he did a great job around here.

I like those three fellas a lot too. Though with Harlan we're likely to end up with a putrid floral motif for graphics.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
......although I suppose you have far more experience with new brides than me.

Not on the same day. That would be tacky.

I'll bet I've really let down B.

falco
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/41/123359904_873d899dc5.jpg

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 12:50 PM
There are no good people or bad people. Good people who argue with bad people are just as bad as the bad people. And the good people might actually be bad people and not know it. The only thing you can say for sure is that people who need people are the luckiest people.

LOL. Funniest post of the entire thread. The bad makes the good and there is something to be learned in every human experience.

falco
05-05-2009, 12:51 PM

LOL. Funniest post of the entire thread. The bad makes the good and there is something to be learned in every human experience.

anyone want to bet mad actually had to pay "administrator" to take this madhouse over???

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 12:51 PM
....... crack down too hard and someone will start packercats.com or something similar.

Damn!!!!

You just suggested a coup in the welcome to the new guy thread. I thought you weren't here to start drama?

New Admin Lesson # 137 - Never trust the quiet ones.

falco
05-05-2009, 12:52 PM
You just suggested a coup in the welcome to the new guy thread. I thought you weren't here to start drama?

Is it a coincidence that someone just reserved the name packercats.com ? I think not... :twisted:

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 12:54 PM
anyone want to bet mad actually had to pay "administrator" to take this madhouse over???

You think Mad's got that kind of dough?

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Is it a coincidence that someone just reserved the name packercats.com ?

Pfft. That site is for pussies. :rs:

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM

You think Mad's got that kind of dough?

I'm sure he could 'borrow' it.

Stevogbfan
05-05-2009, 02:35 PM

good to meet you joe, i'm like'n the place better every day
i don't post here much but have been reading for a long time
if people here could stick to the topic of the thread rather than
ripping on each others opinion, (which we all still have, 4 now)
things would be easier...

Joemailman
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM

So, joemailman is the new owner? It doesn't get more average than that. I'm all for joemailman (despite his political leanings) being the new owner.

Guess I better post something so no one gets the idea I'm also Joeadministrator.

Welcome Admin. You can never have enough Average Joe's. :glug:

GBRulz
05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Welcome, Administrator.

KYPack
05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Welcome, Administrator.

We're sorry, GBM.

We tried not to look like assholes, but it happened anyway.

mission
05-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Welcome, Administrator.

We're sorry, GBM.

:lol: :lol:

Rastak
05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Welcome, Administrator.

We're sorry, GBM.

Was there ever any doubt! :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:45 PM
What I'm more interested in doing is providing additional features to what we currently have here. Finding a revenue source would help with that. But that will take time. If you have ideas, I'd invite you to PM me.

My idea:

PackerRats commemorative purple #4 urinal pucks.

MJZiggy
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
What I'm more interested in doing is providing additional features to what we currently have here. Finding a revenue source would help with that. But that will take time. If you have ideas, I'd invite you to PM me.

My idea:

PackerRats commemorative purple #4 urinal pucks. I think we have a winner...

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM

My idea:

Truthfully I wasn't expecting it to be such a hit with the ladies.

mission
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM

My idea:

Truthfully I wasn't expecting it to be such a hit with the ladies.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Administrator
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM

My idea:

PackerRats commemorative purple #4 urinal pucks.

I'll sign you up for the first 10 cases. Thanks!

Administrator
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Welcome, Administrator.

Thanks. So, how close to Lambeau are you?

Administrator
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM

Guess I better post something so no one gets the idea I'm also Joeadministrator.

Welcome Admin. You can never have enough Average Joe's. :glug:

:D Hi Joe! Are you really a mailman?

falco
05-05-2009, 07:36 PM

yes...this forum is a small world...

joe once delivered my mail
esoxx and i got gas at the same gas station for 2.5 years
I once gave fosco's dad a jump when his car died in the middle of nowhere in the woods of northern wisconsin in freezing cold weather.

Administrator
05-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Look, back and forth "sniping" is one thing, but how much of that is OK? Reduce the population by 80%? Well, that assumes no one leaves because of stuff like that. Impossible to know that. If 80% leave because of "no sniping", then we aren't talking about the packers are we? If I were to ban "sniping" and "personal attacks" and you leave, but, two others who just lurk or left because they got attacked or don't like sniping start participating, then what is the difference? I'd like EVERYONE to feel welcome. Pollyannish? You bet. But why not?

I can write rules. But my experience in writing them is that then we set the least acceptable "baseline". Next, a bunch of creative people with nothing else to do, figure out how close they can get to the "stated rule" without breaking it. Not the intent of the rule, that's for sure. Then we get into a judgment area of "how close is too close". Not really different from where we are now, is it?

People know what they have to do to "get along" in forums. I'd like to try that first. Might not work, but we'll see. Got a nice PM from someone today. Gives me cause to hope.

Some people just don't like each other. Rules aren't going to fix that.

Partial
05-05-2009, 07:49 PM

I once gave fosco's dad a jump when his car died in the middle of nowhere in the woods of northern wisconsin in freezing cold weather.

Thats pretty cool

falco
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Thats pretty cool

falco's pretty cool 8-)

digitaldean
05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
There are the usual friendly barbs that get exchanged. Even a little heated argument. But if most of us can use some common sense and think before we post this place can still be fun but remain civil.

Administrator
05-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Thats pretty cool

Yes, I agree. That is cool. Small world sometimes.

Mazzin
05-05-2009, 07:58 PM

Look, back and forth "sniping" is one thing, but how much of that is OK? Reduce the population by 80%? Well, that assumes no one leaves because of stuff like that. Impossible to know that. If 80% leave because of "no sniping", then we aren't talking about the packers are we? If I were to ban "sniping" and "personal attacks" and you leave, but, two others who just lurk or left because they got attacked or don't like sniping start participating, then what is the difference? I'd like EVERYONE to feel welcome. Pollyannish? You bet. But why not?

I can write rules. But my experience in writing them is that then we set the least acceptable "baseline". Next, a bunch of creative people with nothing else to do, figure out how close they can get to the "stated rule" without breaking it. Not the intent of the rule, that's for sure. Then we get into a judgment area of "how close is too close". Not really different from where we are now, is it?

People know what they have to do to "get along" in forums. I'd like to try that first. Might not work, but we'll see. Got a nice PM from someone today. Gives me cause to hope.

Wow MAD PROPS! I think Joe has what it takes to deal with us "Ruffians" :)

P.S. Falco is pretty 8-)

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Look, back and forth "sniping" is one thing, but how much of that is OK?

That's the $64,000 question. I wish you all the best in figuring it out. I wouldn't want your job.

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 09:50 PM

I second what Ayn is saying here.

Everybody has in their mind what good conduct is, and you assume it is "just common sense." But people in individual situations ALWAYS think they are being reasonable, and its the other guy(s) who are unreasonable. If some guidelines are written down, the perps are less likely to feel picked-on, and the monitor doesn't have to play the Heavy in every situation.

I think it is fine if the Admin writes the conduct rules. If I were Admin, I would let an elected committee of two or three people do it, that has some advantages.

As usual I completely disagree with Harlan :lol: Being specific with verbiage only allows for nitpicking and arguing of the specifics. And nobody would be insane enough to want to be on that group of 3.

Mr Admin can run this forum with the best interests concept in mind and if he means well his forum will be well served. I'm sure he'll PM a poster once or twice before any action is taken.

Specific rules would just get questioned and nitpicked to death; and it'd be very likely you'd be helping with da toothpicks :wink:

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM
......although I suppose you have far more experience with new brides than me.

Not on the same day. That would be tacky.

I'll bet I've really let down B.

And I idolized you with your seven brides at once :!:

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Great points

IMO a clearly defined set or rules would turn into your worst nightmare

Posters, when offended, will occasionally send your PM's if they have issues

That means more than any set of rules that will end up getting picked apart anyways

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Esoxx wife is really good looking; she kind of reminded me of my wife. I think both would rather drop their hubby off at a game and go shopping while we went to Lambeau

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 10:13 PM
IMO a clearly defined set or rules would turn into your worst nightmare

Forum rules:

Other than threads or posts revealing private and/or personal information about others members, PackerRats.com does not censor any threads or posts. However we do ask that you utilize all the rooms available for posting.

Example: If a subject is about football, post it in the Packers section. If you feel like talking about anything off topic, post it in the Romper Room section. This is not just a website decision, it was also overwhelmingly decided on by vote of PackerRats.com members. So if an off-topic thread is made in the Packers section it will be moved to the Romper Room section. No deletions, no questions asked, just categorized correctly.

PackerRats.com values the individuality of all its members and encourages them to talk about anything they wish. Whatever you post does not reflect the views or opinions of PackerRats.com. It reflects yours. Your poster reputation is determined by what you post so you control your own destiny.

Thanks for joining the PackerRats.com family. We hope you enjoy the forum and community of our site. Go Pack Go!

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

Nutz once made Bretsky steaming mad at a gas station.
Harvey taught Partial how to throw a football.
Partial taught Harvey how to play Rock Band.

Partial
05-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Nah nah nah! Partial dazzled Harv and all the other onlookers with his Man Cannon. I damn near broke Nutz pinky! :lol:

In all seriousness, that was a lot of fun! Wish we had a night game again!

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Bretsky waxed Harvey in after bar Wiii Bowling and in a team drinking game outside of the bar on PR Game #1.

Brett remembers being next to a hot blonde gal in the drinking game.....which may improved his performance

Fosco33
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Quite true - my pops validated.

Falco - you should go around Bear Lake and check out the pad - he ended up building a little cottage (in process of being finished).

I'm sure he'll give you a beer if you stopped by after completion. 8-)

Partial
05-05-2009, 10:34 PM

Bretsky waxed Harvey in after bar Wiii Bowling and in a team drinking game outside of the bar on PR Game #1.

Brett remembers being next to a hot blonde gal in the drinking game.....which may improved his performance

That was a ton of fun at that bar too. This year we need to get rowdy again and just stay in one of the bars near the stadium and play flip cup and beer pong again. Then we'll go to the carmel kingdom... I mean oval office.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Ahh... but Bretsky conveniently forgets to mention the Agassi-esque demolitioning Harvey put on Bretsky in Wii Tennis.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Specific rules would just get questioned and nitpicked to death

Not having rules leaves the door open for authoritarian attitudes by monitor(s), and actual or percieved favoritism. Two things we saw far too much of.

Saying rules would lead to nitpicking is a theory. I doubt it. And so what if somebody does argue - they will argue whether there is a rule or not.

Sounds like the admin agrees with you, which is to say he doesn't want to be constrained by no stinkin' rules himself.

Too bad, I was hoping for a little more enlightened attitude than the old boss man style.

Sparkey
05-05-2009, 11:29 PM

The feature doesn't work however, if other posters quote the poster you are trying to ignore. Really a waste of overhead on a site this small, imo.

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Not having rules leaves the door open for authoritarian attitudes by monitor(s), and actual or percieved favoritism. Two things we saw far too much of.
Saying rules would lead to nitpicking is a theory. I doubt it. And so what if somebody does argue - they will argue whether there is a rule or not.

See, I see you as one that want to restrict the admin. Open to authoritaran attitudes ? Sure...maybe...you just have to trust the admin to be fair. Perceived favoritism ? Maybe...but that "perceived" will always be there. IMO rules would undoubtedly lead to nitpicking, and if I was admin....which I will clearly never be....no way would I want to deal with the nitpicking. Honestly, if I formulated a clear set of rules, you'd be one of the posters I'd be worried that would be the first to use the toothpick.

If I'd create some rules, they would be undoubtedly questioned. Then, I'd be accused of playing favorites since the rules would address things that certain posters may partake in. Maybe with one rule...everybody would think............" " won't like that rule at all.

Dartboard

Doing this would just make the admin into a dart board. Not worth it.

gex
05-05-2009, 11:49 PM

2nd

SnakeLH2006
05-05-2009, 11:57 PM

See, I see you as one that want to restrict the admin. Open to authoritaran attitudes ? Sure...maybe...you just have to trust the admin to be fair. Perceived favoritism ? Maybe...but that "perceived" will always be there. IMO rules would undoubtedly lead to nitpicking, and if I was admin....which I will clearly never be....no way would I want to deal with the nitpicking. Honestly, if I formulated a clear set of rules, you'd be one of the posters I'd be worried that would be the first to use the toothpick.

If I'd create some rules, they would be undoubtedly questioned. Then, I'd be accused of playing favorites since the rules would address things that certain posters may partake in. Maybe with one rule...everybody would think............" " won't like that rule at all.

Dartboard

Doing this would just make the admin into a dart board. Not worth it.

Kinda that, but if no rules, then it gets crazy where no one knows where it stands. Snake's been on 5 Packer forums for ex. and no real trouble to speak of, but the nitpicking and sniping goes on regardless. The difference is with sites like FF or PackerChatters, the MODs go/went nuts and targeted peeps that posted against the favored posters (ala Joe Arrigo, even though he was found to be a fraud). That's a touchy situation, cuz the community at PC is extinct based on the MOD heavy presence and favoring posters.

The last regime here, including you Brett, had a tough time but did it well. There will always be some posters that have it out for others, but it doesn't get too extreme like JS did, as we kind of MOD'd ourselves with PM's or knowing each other, etc. This is what makes/made PR such a good site, as most of my buds aren't on here as posters, ala Snake, but read daily what goes on. Someone posted how there is character thing with many posters with that allotted freedom and I do agree. Everyone who posts here a bit has a specific flavor/character which transcends this site into our own. Some don't get along (and not gonna name names) but even those posters that stir shit up, seem to get it right from time to time with posts....as most all have some knowledge to contribute, as bottom line...this is the most Passionate site for Packer insight bar none.

Hopefully not much changes, but having rules is better than none, at least you know where you stand. I seen a few good posters go against Arrigo and the "grain" at PC get booted for no good reason. If that went down here, I'm sure PackerCats could become a reality. But, alas, Snake thinks the few things the Admin said make sense. But it is a daily struggle, I'm sure. Good luck bro, though. :D
-----------------------------------------------

A quick question though, Administrator:

When are you gonna form your new screen name is I'm sure if you've been reading for awhile on PR that everyone here has some flavor/character, but Admin for a name is ok for now, but what is your take on the GB Packers? Will you be TT is a SLAVEMASTER or BRETT4EVA or what? :lol: :shock: Snake's LMAO, but you answered some good questions, but what is your point of view, as this forum is really pretty mutually on good behavior, but when TT or Brett come up. WATCH THE HELL OUT! LOL. Shit goes to worse sometimes as this whole forum got divided/and still is over that mess. BTW: Snake likes both. Yes, it's possible. Carry on though, young soldier. You can't be Administrator (as a screenname) forever, or will you? 8-)

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Very interesting post Snake.

It sounds like the dysfunction is a big part of the appeal - as long as it doesn't screw up the football threads.

So perhaps the job as Administrator is to nurture constructive dysfunction.

SnakeLH2006
05-06-2009, 12:14 AM

It sounds like the dysfunction is a big part of the appeal - as long as it doesn't screw up the football threads.

Yeah, it makes sense though, Scott. (BTW, where the hell you been man? Seen you post a bunch the last week?) That sounds about right as GB football talk is paramount and this site has tons of great members that bring breaking news to topic like none other. That's the main reason I came here 3 years ago and haven't been disappointed as the conversation get heated, but it's not like anyone will murder someone or go off on an expletive laden tirade like on JSO. It's kinda like the USA Network advertises "Characters Welcome". Even the posters who get alot of heat do contribute sometimes, and are welcome overall, cuz without disagreement it's groupthink like PC became.

Not like you, I, or any longterm poster wouldn't know a thing about sniping :lol: as it's kinda a barb, but fun for all for the most part. Opinions are what drive this forum at PR. Makes for a better read, as the stats/logic show up, but ISO (in Snake's opinion) disagreement to make us a better team and checking the following day is what makes it fun to login and post on PR.

Good stuff and Snake agrees.

gex
05-06-2009, 12:23 AM

Yeah, it makes sense though, Scott. That sounds about right as GB football talk is paramount and this site has tons of great members that bring breaking news to topic like none other. That's the main reason I came here 3 years ago and haven't been disappointed as the conversation get heated, but it's not like anyone will murder someone or go off on an expletive laden tirade like on JSO. It's kinda like the USA Network advertises "Characters Welcome". Even the posters who get alot of heat do contribute sometimes, and are welcome overall, cuz without disagreement it's groupthink like PC became.

Not like you, I, or any longterm poster wouldn't know a thing about sniping :lol: as it's kinda a barb, but fun for all for the most part. Opinions are what drive this forum at PR. Makes for a better read, as the stats/logic show up, but ISO (in Snake's opinion) disagreement to make us a better team and checking the following day is what makes it fun to login and post on PR.

Well put, as long as the personal attacks stay out of it { like calling a post/poster "retarded(we know who likes to use terms like that) } we should all be allowed to state our opinion and respectfully agree to disagree.

SnakeLH2006
05-06-2009, 12:30 AM

Yeah, it makes sense though, Scott. That sounds about right as GB football talk is paramount and this site has tons of great members that bring breaking news to topic like none other. That's the main reason I came here 3 years ago and haven't been disappointed as the conversation get heated, but it's not like anyone will murder someone or go off on an expletive laden tirade like on JSO. It's kinda like the USA Network advertises "Characters Welcome". Even the posters who get alot of heat do contribute sometimes, and are welcome overall, cuz without disagreement it's groupthink like PC became.

Well put, as long as the personal attacks stay out of it { like calling a post/poster "retarded(we know who likes to use terms like that) } we should all be allowed to state our opinion and respectfully agree to disagree.

True dat Gex, and Snake agrees.

<<Queing Fritz's awesome Medieval voice:

"Who thoust useth terms youseth retarded? Thoust shall face the vengeath of thoust young Adminastoth's banhammer. Whom postereth thoust speakoth?" :lol:

....Like we didn't know, but was fun to go all medieval. :D

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 02:58 AM
I've asked Skin countless times to not address me in any way, shape or form on these forums, but he simply refuses and continues to make snarky remarks.

Try something new. Completely ignore each other! :idea:

.....but then again, it is off season entertainment. :P :wink:I agree. I have been ignoring a couple of posters. It has been hard(as my tounge is in a lot of pain because I have been biting it so much :D ), but has gotten easier as time has moved on.

falco
05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm sure he'll give you a beer if you stopped by after completion. 8-)

Believe it or not, I still get that way a few times a year (was just a few miles away from there about a month ago). If you are familiar with the area, you can probably guess why.

I will swing out and look at it. I am sure glad to hear he is working things out. When I talked to him that day he sure sounded like a guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Did he ever get any satisfaction from the guys who took his money?

Harlan Huckleby
05-06-2009, 08:05 AM
See, I see you as one that want to restrict the admin.

Yes, yes, yes! But not because the admin is an asshole, but because the admin is a human being.

This is not a new problem. Its been debated and tested for centuries. Lets start with the Magna Carta in 12th century, says the King doesn't rule totally by his whims, there's also the rule of law. Doesn't mean the King isn't the King anymore, or that the King is a tyrant, but things work better if there is some balance and clarity.

Do you think it is the smart or dumb companies that have an employee handbook? Why do they bother with that nitpicking?

Open to authoritaran attitudes ? Sure...maybe...you just have to trust the admin to be fair.

Phooey. There is no such thing as a fair human being. We all get mad, we all have our biases. Written laws are intended to ameliorate that condition. Look at how Mad got into personal grudge matches with individual members. I think Mad did a very good job of running the forum most of the time. If he had a set of standards to back him up, disciplinary actions would have been less personalized.

IMO rules would undoubtedly lead to nitpicking, and if I was admin....which I will clearly never be....no way would I want to deal with the nitpicking. Honestly, if I formulated a clear set of rules, you'd be one of the posters I'd be worried that would be the first to use the toothpick.

I'll concede that rules can lead to nitpicking. If you are afraid of nitpicking, then just lead by gut feeling. Leadership by whim is pretty much the definition of authoritarism.

Wiser people than us have discovered over and over that rules can be messy, but they are well worth it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-06-2009, 08:13 AM

if you drive-out all the dysfunction and wierdness, you end-up with a boring forum. See PackerChatters. As irritating as SCott Campbell, SkinBasket, Snake and Woody (I hold myself above this group of weirdos) can be sometimes, they also make the place far more entertaining.

Having clear (as possible) lines in the sand allows constructive dysfunction to flourish without fear of being whacked in the pee pee.

SkinBasket
05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Well put, as long as the personal attacks stay out of it { like calling a post/poster "retarded(we know who likes to use terms like that) } we should all be allowed to state our opinion and respectfully agree to disagree

If my opinion is that this post is retarded, which it is, then why should my opinion by stifled by your set of values and your limited connotative understanding of the English language?

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Lets start with the Magna Carta in 12th century................

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E4W4Ski9j_g/SXNZCdM4rWI/AAAAAAAABRA/t8TvnzSGwDY/s200/cliff-claven-200w.jpg

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Well put, as long as the personal attacks stay out of it { like calling a post/poster "retarded(we know who likes to use terms like that) } we should all be allowed to state our opinion and respectfully agree to disagree

If my opinion is that this post is retarded, which it is, then why should my opinion by stifled by your set of values and your limited connotative understanding of the English language?He is just trying to get a rise out of another poster. Its sad really. He is, however, a good example of why an ignore function is needed.

EDIT: SC, did I mention how good it is to have you back? :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Do you think it is the smart or dumb companies that have an employee handbook?

Good point Harlan!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/special/enron/1533657.html

"A committee representing Enron's creditors and Enron have signed off on a plan to pay former workers $13,500 in severance. The plan needs U.S. Bankrupcty Judge Arthur Gonzalez's approval.

Creditors, however, could back out because 54 former workers, out of 4,200, won't agree to the deal and are seeking the full severance package, as outlined in the company handbook. Former executive John Sheriff, for instance, wants $1.6 million."

Green Bud Packer
05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Best of luck to you.

mraynrand
05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Do you think it is the smart or dumb companies that have an employee handbook?

Good point Harlan!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/special/enron/1533657.html

"A committee representing Enron's creditors and Enron have signed off on a plan to pay former workers $13,500 in severance. The plan needs U.S. Bankrupcty Judge Arthur Gonzalez's approval.

Creditors, however, could back out because 54 former workers, out of 4,200, won't agree to the deal and are seeking the full severance package, as outlined in the company handbook. Former executive John Sheriff, for instance, wants $1.6 million."

Good one SC! In a related story, the NFL has decided to dispense with their rule book. Said retiring rule committee chairman Mike Holmgren: "Nobody paid any fucking attention anyway. Did you see the shit Charles Woodson gets away with? That fucking bastard holds on every goddamn play." When it was suggested to Mr. Holmgren that, without rules, the game might descend into chaos, Holmgren responded: "Fuck you."

Freak Out
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM

if you drive-out all the dysfunction and wierdness, you end-up with a boring forum. See PackerChatters. As irritating as SCott Campbell, SkinBasket, Snake and Woody (I hold myself above this group of weirdos) can be sometimes, they also make the place far more entertaining.

Having clear (as possible) lines in the sand allows constructive dysfunction to flourish without fear of being whacked in the pee pee.

:tup:

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Good one SC! In a related story, the NFL has decided to dispense with their rule book.

In my best MOBB voice:

BRING BACK CHARLES MARTIN!!!!! (just for the Vikings game)

mraynrand
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Good one SC! In a related story, the NFL has decided to dispense with their rule book.

In my best MOBB voice:

BRING BACK CHARLES MARTIN!!!!! (just for the Vikings game)

WORD!!!!!

ThunderDan
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Adminguy-

Maybe you could have a thread were you post anybodies status on PR who are on probation or about to get kicked off. Something like yellow, orange and red.

They do this at Milwaukee CC for members who play slow. Let me tell you no one wants the rest of the club to know that they play slow. Slow play is never an issue. After the second warning they can't make tee times in prime time.

Harlan Huckleby
05-06-2009, 02:16 PM
ya, lets run with that idea, but why not put a positive spin on it.

We could adopt the same color code that Bob McGinn use for his annual column of a scout's rating of packer players:

blue - difference maker
purple - excellent poster
red - good
yellow - marginal performer
green - a poster you'd like to replace

poster names could appear in the color of their rating.

mission
05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Great idea.

Just like terrorist attack color code alerts and all that. They worked great for Bush and co...

We could even make announcements about who's leading the way with infractions and even accidently create competitions / fake aliases and all that for further notoriety.

:huh:

SkinBasket
05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I would switch the ratings for red and green. It's counter-intuitive.

What ever happened to the monthly public stoning idea we floated a few years back? Everyone's required to vote for someone to stone, under punishment of instant stoning, and the leading vote getter gets stoned. Of course by stoned, I mean banned. What was the name of that stupid short story? The Lottery or something.

We could really turn over the bottom of the roster that way.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
........ and the leading vote getter gets stoned.

No wonder Tank acted like such an ass.

Fritz
05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Here's the link to the Department of Homeland Security threat level colors: http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/programs/Copy_of_press_release_0046.shtm

But if this is going to be done right, I suggest that even when someone's not being a terrible poster, that poster's "danger level" is always kept higher than it really should be. that way, we'll never be taken by surprise....

mission
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
In case my sarcasm wasn't clear, shit like this is exactly what I wasn't looking forward to ...

mraynrand
05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I think my threat level is beige or mauve.

mission
05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Here's the link to the Department of Homeland Security threat level colors: http://www.dhs.gov/xinfoshare/programs/Copy_of_press_release_0046.shtm

But if this is going to be done right, I suggest that even when someone's not being a terrible poster, that poster's "danger level" is always kept higher than it really should be. that way, we'll never be taken by surprise....

oh man real luls :lol: :lol: :lol: