PDA

View Full Version : Pickett is starting NT

Partial
05-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Though the wording is funny, I'm not sure if this is confirmed, or if Bedard is just assuming? Don't care for his articles but do enjoy his blag.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/44271852.html

Smart move having Raji as an end in the base D.

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't think it's a guarantee that Raji will start at DE.

Two years ago, Jolly started at DT and Williams was backup. Until Jolly got injured, I think Williams was getting more snaps. Big lineman should not play more than 75% of snaps IMO. You want those guys fresh in the 4th quarter when it's time to finish games.

Just looking at Raji's skill set and gaining an understanding of what this defense asks of it's DL, I didn't think Raji was going to start at NT as a rookie from the moment he was drafted.

I think his snaps will go like this:

He'll play DE in obvious run situations.
He'll play DT in all nickle, dime and other pass defense packages (50% of snaps)
He'll play occasional DE in base defense, but he doesn't have to start

Pickett will be starting NG in the 3-4 base defense and he'll be in on all goaline or obvious run situations either at NG or DT. He'll get a lot of rest because Raji will spell him in subpackages and they'll both be strong enough to finish in the 4th quarter (unlike last year when the defense caved because of fatigue).

It makes complete sense. I've been saying this for a while now. Nice to hear MM is on the same page with me :)

Fritz
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Two years ago, Jolly started at DT and Williams was backup. Until Jolly got injured, I think Williams was getting more snaps. Big lineman should not play more than 75% of snaps IMO. You want those guys fresh in the 4th quarter when it's time to finish games.

Just looking at Raji's skill set and gaining an understanding of what this defense asks of it's DL, I didn't think Raji was going to start at NT as a rookie from the moment he was drafted.

I think his snaps will go like this:

He'll play DE in obvious run situations.
He'll play DT in all nickle, dime and other pass defense packages (50% of snaps)
He'll play occasional DE in base defense, but he doesn't have to start

Pickett will be starting NG in the 3-4 base defense and he'll be in on all goaline or obvious run situations either at NG or DT. He'll get a lot of rest because Raji will spell him in subpackages and they'll both be strong enough to finish in the 4th quarter (unlike last year when the defense caved because of fatigue).

It makes complete sense. I've been saying this for a while now. Nice to hear MM is on the same page with me :)

Dude, that sounds like about 90% of the snaps....

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Pass packages are probably about 45% of snaps.
Goalline is probably about 10% of snaps
Some DE in base could fill in his other 20%

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Raji's #1 skill at this point in his career is getting after the QB. A smart coach would put him in the position to succeed.

Starting him and wearing him down doing something he's not great at (stopping the run as a 2 gap NT or 2 gap DE) wouldn't be smart IMO. Bringing him in, when he can go after the QB as a primary duty and then filling the rest of his snaps with various other duties that he can handle seems to make much more sense. It's good to see the coaches are on the same page :)

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 07:43 AM
And whether he starts the first snap in base or plays 75% of snaps in sub packages is nothing more than semantics. There will be 4 guys who play a ton of snaps on that line. All should be considered starters (whether they open in base or not). Whoever the 5th guy is, is the primary backup and any injury turns him into a starter too.

So, does Raji start the first snap of the game? No
Does he play as much or more than the guys who do? Yes

Literally, is he a starter? No
Practically, with the way defenses rotate, is he a starter? Yes

pbmax
05-04-2009, 07:44 AM
The quote Bedard uses is very ambiguous. McCarthy says Pickett has an opportunity to be the nose guard and that they will train Raji at DE. That is not exactly written in stone, unless McCarthy gave Bedard some other info that didn't make it into this article.

Another way to read that quote is that Picket better win the job, because that's his only role.

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 07:47 AM
The quote Bedard uses is very ambiguous. McCarthy says Pickett has an opportunity to be the nose guard and that they will train Raji at DE. That is not exactly written in stone, unless McCarthy gave Bedard some other info that didn't make it into this article.

Another way to read that quote is that Picket better win the job, because that's his only role.

I listened to the same presser. McCarthy does not say Raji will start at DE. He says Pickett is probably going to start at NG though. Bedard assumes he'll be starting at DE. I think Bedard is wrong.

I think Raji's primary duty will be sub defense as a pass rusher because that is what he's great at and a coaches job is to put him in position to succeed. I think his secondary duties will be DE and goalline (not as a starter).

Bedard jumped to conclusions (like usual). We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I think starting on the DL is a bit over-rated. I'm more interested in how many snaps a guy gets, and how integral a part he is in the rotation.

Harlan Huckleby
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM

They were not very good on the line last year.
He is as sure of a starter as Hawk was as a rookie.

Pacopete4
05-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I know this is a little off subject but did they ever talk about having Kampman play any DE at all this season or is it going to be straight up OLB for him from now on?

Harlan Huckleby
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm very nervous that Kampman will be a JAG at linebacker, but that can of worms has been spilled and dissected already. I agree with the post Nutz made recently about how Kampman is tuned to being a DE. But of course many guys with his measurables have made the transition, so we'll just have to see.

rbaloha1
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Again the scheme demands three wrecking balls to stop the run on first and second down. The top three are: Pickett, Raji and Harrell. On passing downs Jenkins and maybe Jolly are inserted.

Position titles are meaningless for the d-line.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Again the scheme demands three wrecking balls to stop the run on first and second down. The top three are: Pickett, Raji and Harrell. On passing downs Jenkins and maybe Jolly are inserted.

I'd put Jenkins over Harrell against the run. He's plenty big enough and run support has always been his strength. It's why he started over KGB. I can't put Harrell as a starter until he shows he deserves that spot.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Last year their were 4 DL starters. This year there will be 3. Last year Harrell and Jenkins were hurt. This year we hope they'll be healthy. I don't think its a lock that he starts.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd put Jenkins over Harrell against the run.

Healthy, I'd put Jenkins in over anyone on our D-line. He looked amazing until he got hurt last year.

Partial
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM

I'd put Jenkins over Harrell against the run. He's plenty big enough and run support has always been his strength. It's why he started over KGB. I can't put Harrell as a starter until he shows he deserves that spot.

Yep, but if he's healthy and in the fray thats a huge improvement to the line.

rbaloha1
05-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Jenkins strength is swim moves and interior quickness for pass rushing.

KGB was undersized and was started to physically breakdown. Earlier in his career KGB was able to get stalemates against the run against lts. This delayed the play long enough for the backer(s) or a d-line man to make the play.

Jenkins was a huge upgrade against the run but to play inside on a consistent basis remains to be seen. Yes the jury is still out on Harrell but once he gains confidence watch out.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Jenkins was a huge upgrade against the run but to play inside on a consistent basis remains to be seen. Yes the jury is still out on Harrell but once he gains confidence watch out.

Not sure what you mean by playing inside on a consistent basis. He'll play 3-4 DE. He may go inside when they go to 4 man fronts, but that's not we're talking about here. 3-4 DEs need to be bigger than 4-3 DEs, but Jenkins is already at the size that several DEs on good 3-4 teams are at.

Partial
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
When healthy, you've got to look at Jenkins as one of the better 3-4 ends in the league. He will still be able to generate pressure imo.

rbaloha1
05-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Not sure what you mean by playing inside on a consistent basis. He'll play 3-4 DE. He may go inside when they go to 4 man fronts, but that's not we're talking about here. 3-4 DEs need to be bigger than 4-3 DEs, but Jenkins is already at the size that several DEs on good 3-4 teams are at.

Inside means in the 3-4 the de plays over the guard and tackle. The 4-3 de often times plays over the lt left shoulder in space.

In the 3-4 the de may have 2 big guys hitting you on every play as opposed to the 4-3 in which only one big guy is engaging you.

Partial
05-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Our DEs will line up helmet to helmet with the tackles.

rbaloha1
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Our DEs will line up helmet to helmet with the tackles.

If this is a two gap with de lining up over the tackle then Jenkins may be fine. My concern is Jenkins taking on double teams on a consistent basis. IMO Jenkins in to physically equipped.

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. He's too valuable as an inside rusher. I think his primary job will be as either NG or DT in the nickle/dime situations (where they can utilize his quickness and strength as a pass rusher). After that, he's too good to have on the bench, so they'll fill in his remaining snaps at NT and then some DE if there are any left. He'll play as much as a starter, but I don't think he'll start the first snap of most games unless there is an injury. (not because he's not good enough to start, but because he's too good as a pass rusher right now to wear him out as a run plugger)

I think it'll be Jolly and Jenkins starting or Jenkins and Harrell if he makes a magical recovery from that back injury. I think there is an outside chance he starts at DE, but that would be if Jolly doesn't have his head straight and Harrell stinks. Maybe it's not a complete long shot, but I don't think they want him to start unless they have to. I think they want to use his unique skills in the sub packages and have more of a rotation than a strict starting 3.

rbaloha1
05-04-2009, 11:16 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. He's too valuable as an inside rusher. I think his primary job will be as either NG or DT in the nickle/dime situations (where they can utilize his quickness and strength as a pass rusher). After that, he's too good to have on the bench, so they'll fill in his remaining snaps at NT and then some DE if there are any left. He'll play as much as a starter, but I don't think he'll start the first snap of most games unless there is an injury. (not because he's not good enough to start, but because he's too good as a pass rusher right now to wear him out as a run plugger)

I think it'll be Jolly and Jenkins starting or Jenkins and Harrell if he makes a magical recovery from that back injury. I think there is an outside chance he starts at DE, but that would be if Jolly doesn't have his head straight and Harrell stinks. Maybe it's not a complete long shot, but I don't think they want him to start unless they have to. I think they want to use his unique skills in the sub packages and have more of a rotation than a strict starting 3.

This is my point -- not the current 3-4 end type which calls for anchoring against the run.

IMO is an effective situational pass rusher in Caper's schemes.

SnakeLH2006
05-05-2009, 03:41 AM
It's funny to see Partial and JH scrap, but nonetheless....BJ will start. Who care's where's it at? He's gonna get major reps as a starting DL. Hopefully Jenkins plays, but back to many of Snake's Topics/Posts....BJ upgrades our starting DL by either at NG or DE. He plays significant snaps. Nuff said.

DonHutson
05-05-2009, 10:56 AM
When healthy, you've got to look at Jenkins as one of the better 3-4 ends in the league. He will still be able to generate pressure imo.

I agree. He still has to prove it of course, but I think he's got the tools.

He's got the size, strength, and some experience playing inside. All of this will benefit the transition. Most of the big 3-4 ends out there just occupy blockers and stuff the run. They don't rush the passer in part by design, but largely because they wouldn't be effective at it anyway.

Jenkins should be able to play the run and occupy blockers AND generate pressure. He's also athletic enough that he could be reasonably effective dropping into coverage on the occasional zone blitz. He's a multi-faceted weapon that Capers should have a lot of fun with.

Now let's just hope he can stay healthy for a change...