PDA

View Full Version : College Teams With Most Players drafted in 2009

oregonpackfan
05-04-2009, 12:46 AM
It was no surprise that the college football team with the most players drafted in this year's NFL draft was USC. Some of the other teams with the most players drafted may surprise you.

1. USC= 11 players drafted

2. Ohio State, Oregon State, South Carolina = 7 players drafted

3. Cincinnati, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, Oregon = 6 players drafted

It was surprising to note such typical powerhouses like Florida State, Florida, Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma are not in the top three divisions.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=940456

Partial
05-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Very surprising that both Oregon and Oregon State are that high.

KYPack
05-04-2009, 07:35 AM
It was no surprise that the college football team with the most players drafted in this year's NFL draft was USC. Some of the other teams with the most players drafted may surprise you.

1. USC= 11 players drafted

2. Ohio State, Oregon State, South Carolina = 7 players drafted

3. Cincinnati, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, Oregon = 6 players drafted

It was surprising to note such typical powerhouses like Florida State, Florida, Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma are not in the top three divisions.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=940456

The U fell back to earth, big time. If Atlanta hadn't snagged Miami linebacker Spencer Adkins in the 6th round, they would have been shut out in the draft!. Miami was working on a string of 14 years with a first rounder until the 2009 draft.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I hate the fact that Ohio State keeps losing NC games (except against Miami), but every year they rank with the top teams in players that get drafted, so I don't buy the fact that they (and the Big 10) aren't talented enough to compete with top teams from other conferences.

oregonpackfan
05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Very surprising that both Oregon and Oregon State are that high.

In some ways, it is surprising and in some ways it is not surprising.

The state of Oregon has just under 4 million people yet it supports three Division 1 football schools--Oregon, Oregon State, and Portland State(which is Division 1 AA)

Because of the state's scarce population base, all three schools recruit heavily in Southern California. Oregon State probably has the most difficult task of recruiting blue chip players from urban SoCal to move to Corvallis--a small city with the population of just 55,000 people. Some of those urban young men, however, do like the small town atmosphere Corvallis provides.

What is not surprising in the Ducks' and Beavers' success in that their head coaches, Mike Riley and Mike Belotti, are excellent teachers as well as very good coaches. They get the most out of their players' talents. Most of their former SoCal high school players aren't even recruited by USC or UCLA.

Ducks' coach Mike Belotti just retired to become the Ducks' Athletic Director. His replacement is Chip Kelly, who has been the brilliant offensive coordiantor under Belotti. He is also a disciplined, no-nonsense type of guy. It will be interesting to see how he guides the Ducks the next few years.

pbmax
05-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I hate the fact that Ohio State keeps losing NC games (except against Miami), but every year they rank with the top teams in players that get drafted, so I don't buy the fact that they (and the Big 10) aren't talented enough to compete with top teams from other conferences.
Well, that sounds like you are setting up the Sweater Vest to be criticized for his coaching and game planning. Expect a firing squad from Columbus to arrive shortly. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, that sounds like you are setting up the Sweater Vest to be criticized for his coaching and game planning. Expect a firing squad from Columbus to arrive shortly. :lol:

Well, they've played in three national championship games. I felt in all three they were the underdog. I think they can compete, but that doesn't mean they should be favored. Few teams would have had a shot against that Florida team. I think they were outcoached against LSU. However, I think he outcoached Coker when they beat Miami, so that kind of evens things out. Sadly, the year I thought they had the best team in the country was Hawk's senior season. They lost just one game... a game in which they outplayed Texas in Austin, but lost to Vince Young late. I would have put that team up against any team from that year on a neutral site.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Oregon State probably has the most difficult task of recruiting blue chip players from urban SoCal to move to Corvallis--a small city with the population of just 55,000 people.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for recruiters at any Pac 10 school, or any BCS conference school for that matter. Try recruiting to Utah, or Boise State.

I was at a dinner with Rick Majerus as keynote speaker when he was asked - Coach, how hard is it recruiting kids to come play at Utah? He answered "I don't want my kids hanging out in bars, but I wouldn't mind it if they occasionally walked by one".

Pacopete4
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
How many did the Badgers have? 3?

Levy
Beckum
Urbinak