PDA

View Full Version : Interesting catch at my Sisters

Jimx29
05-04-2009, 02:30 AM
My Sister always has troubles with raccoons at her place, so what they do is trap them and then haul them about 7 miles away and dump them at the river. Couple mornings ago they went out and this is what they found:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2vlmi9y.jpg

They called the DNR to let them know, and they said that albino coons are quite rare but they really didn't have any need for it, so off they went and they released it at the river

hoosier
05-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Are you sure that's not an opossum? I can't see the tail, which would be pretty concluisve either way.

oregonpackfan
05-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Are you sure that's not an opossum? I can't see the tail, which would be pretty concluisve either way.

I agree. That looks like an opossum to me.

How do you "dump" them in the river to get rid of them? Raccoons are noted for being excellent swimmers. They could just as easily swim back to your house the next night.

SkinBasket
05-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Opossum have shorter fur and generally dumpier bodies that the fellow in the picture.

When he says dump them at the river, I think he means release them in a habitat where food is available, not physically drop them in the water. Getting a drowned coon out of one of those traps would be a pain in the ass.

Jimx29
05-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Opossum have shorter fur and generally dumpier bodies that the fellow in the picture.

When he says dump them at the river, I think he means release them in a habitat where food is available, not physically drop them in the water. Getting a drowned coon out of one of those traps would be a pain in the ass.What he said.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 07:39 AM
here is the first pic of a possum that comes up with google search:

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/possum.jpg

There are different kinds of possums, although short-haired grey ones are common.

Your sister's new friend sure looks like a possum, but I suppose it is a coon.

hoosier
05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Your sister's new friend sure looks like a possum, but I suppose it is a coon.

What kind of wishy washy statement is that??? It's either an opossum or it's a raccoon. It can't be both. And 'sposin' never got anyone anywhere.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm gonna say its a coon because of the ears and shape of the head. But it sure looks like a possum too.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.topofmind.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/1_61_foxworthy_jeff.jpg

SkinBasket
05-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm gonna say its a coon because of the ears and shape of the head. But it sure looks like a possum too.

That would be one big fucking possum. And shouldn't he be playing dead if he's some variety of oppusum?

The last interaction I had with a possum was when we dumped a trailer of firewood in the driveway. Five minutes later the fat little bastard was stumbling across the street before he fell over on the neighbors lawn. I don't think he was pretending.

The last interaction I had with a coon was emptying the rest of a clip into it's thrashing disease laden body because my father's become weak willed in his old age and prefers someone else do the dirty work.

I vote coon.

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
That is one ugly albino coon.

here is another:

http://reedy.org/forums/albinoCoon2a.jpg

Little Whiskey
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
shoot first ask questions later.

I'm not hauling some critter 7 miles just for him to walk back to my house. where my .357 or 12guage sends him there is no return.

possium or coon they both react about the same.

Aaron12odgers
05-05-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm not hauling some critter 7 miles just for him to walk back to my house. where my .357 or 12guage sends him there is no return.

Do they both taste the same?

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I'll bet that corn-fed coon pictured above is delish.

KYPack
05-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I have the same cage. I live in a city, so shooting is verboten.

You release 'em across a large creek or river. That way, they don't walk back home.

Across, not in the middle of.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Of course Kentucky would have an opinion on possums and coons.

Aaron12odgers
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM

You release 'em across a large creek or river. That way, they don't walk back home.

What if it has cubs? You wouldn't want to take a mother away from her children, do you?

swede
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM

What if it has cubs? You wouldn't want to take a mother away from her children, do you?

Kits.

The Guppy
by Ogden Nash

Whales have calves,
Cats have kittens,
Bears have cubs,
Bats have bittens,
Swans have cygnets,
Seals have puppies,
But guppies just have little guppies.

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Kits.

Yes, you most absolutely would. Raccoons, skunks, rabbits, ground squirrels, and kids looking for beer in your garage are a pestilence in our well 'coiffed' suburban or semi-rural existence. Something has to be done, even if we have to shoot them in the back while dialing 911.

MJZiggy
05-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Kits.

Yes, you most absolutely would. Raccoons, skunks, rabbits, ground squirrels, and kids looking for beer in your garage are a pestilence in our well 'coiffed' suburban or semi-rural existence. Something has to be done, even if we have to shoot them in the back while dialing 911.

Well played...

Aaron12odgers
05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Kits.

Sorry, the animal in the first post looks awfully like a fox to me.

Little Whiskey
05-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Do they both taste the same?

at close range with the 12 guage they both would taste like lead! not much left to eat