PDA

View Full Version : Favre Question (not what you think).

Lurker64
05-04-2009, 03:04 PM
In the Brett Favre trade to the Jets was the provision that if Brett Favre retires after one year, Green Bay will owe the Jets their 2010 seventh round draft pick. Currently, this is the case. I'm wondering, though, whether or not this will change.

Do we still owe the Jets our 2010 seventh now that the Jets have released him (I think so)?

Will we still owe the Jets our 2010 seventh if Favre unretires again and plays for a team other than the Jets?

Would we still owe the Jets our 2010 seventh if, through some miracle, Favre ends up playing for the Jets next year?

Gunakor
05-04-2009, 03:30 PM
If Favre stays retired, yes I think we'd have to give the Jets a pick in 2010 even though he got his release.

If Favre suits up for any team this year, Jets or otherwise, he didn't retire. So I'd assume that clause is void, because he's not retired.

MJZiggy
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I wonder if the language in the trade says "retire" or "not play for" the Jets...

Gunakor
05-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I wonder if the language in the trade says "retire" or "not play for" the Jets...

I'd assume it'd have to be retire. Otherwise the Jets could have released him the day after the season ended to make sure they got that extra draft pick. I don't think someone as shrewd as Thompson is would leave that kind of a loophole for the Jets to insure an extra draft pick out of the deal. The Jets gave him his release voluntarily, so that clause should be voided if he suits up to play this season.