PDA

View Full Version : Jason Hunter released

RashanGary
05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
per the fan 107.5.

Partial
05-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow. I'm somewhat surprised they did it this early. Like Harv, I thought shedding the extra poundage would make him a serviceable 3rd stringer and to once again be a ST ace.

Brohm
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Front page packers.com as well.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm waiting for Harlan to make a post... pointing out that I thought this guy had a chance.
:D

Lurker64
05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
They were one over the roster limit, so they needed to release somebody today. I'm sort of surprised it was Hunter and not one of the many excess WRs we've got (or Punter #3).

But I suppose if they saw enough out of Jones and Obiozor over the weekend to determine that Hunter might be below both of them on the depth chart.

He may well be missed on special teams, but we've got lots of young guys who will sacrifice their bodies for the cause.

Freak Out
05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Hell....I though there was talk about him being a good 3-4 OLB here....guess not. Someone will pick him up.

BobDobbs
05-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Interesting that they didn't even bring him into camp. They must have decided that he was never going to be able to cover. Great athlete to let go though. Someone that big who can run like that is a boon for the special teams.

Too bad, he was someone I was really interested in watching this preaseason bringing pressure from the outside. Shows how much I know.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm waiting for Harlan to make a post... pointing out that I thought this guy had a chance.
:D

Showed up by Harlan?

That's going to leave a mark. :lol:

mraynrand
05-04-2009, 05:06 PM
The key question is: Does this pave the way for Matthews to take his daddy's number?

green_bowl_packer
05-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Clay Matthews can take his number now so he can have the same as his old man.

Figures that CM and the 7th rounder from Colorado will now pick up on special teams, as now the big push is to have multiple guys with that same body type as Hunter had, now they'll be a dime a dozen.

Harlan Huckleby
05-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I completely forgot about the Harvey Wallbanger - Jason Hunter - Justin Tuck connection.

Ahhh, it isn't so much fun to rub it in if you have to be reminded.

rbaloha1
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
This is just the start of previous players in the 4-3 scheme. Maybe Montgomery, Poppinga, Chillar, Jolly, etc. could also be released.

Gunakor
05-04-2009, 08:46 PM
This is just the start of previous players in the 4-3 scheme. Maybe Montgomery, Poppinga, Chillar, Jolly, etc. could also be released.

Jolly might be just fine at DE in the 3-4. I don't think they release him unless his legal case looks grim and it doesn't look like they'll get much from him. Pop might settle in as Kampy's backup at rush OLB, so I don't think they release him either. The other two are a definite maybe.

Ballboy
05-04-2009, 08:57 PM
really surprised by this, I thought his ST's play and as 3rd down rush would be needed.

Gunakor
05-04-2009, 08:59 PM
really surprised by this, I thought his ST's play and as 3rd down rush would be needed.

They might be counting on Matthews for ST's. Word has it that was one of his greater strengths at USC.

Bretsky
05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Gosh, Is TTT da Skinbasket ?????

At least Skin should be happy :!:

rbaloha1
05-04-2009, 09:38 PM

What 3rd down rush. The dude was supposed to replace KGB but had no counter moves.

The Packers wanted Hunter to bulk up and play de. Classic tweener. Probably is picked up by a 4-3 team.

KYPack
05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
His weak spots are well stated. A tweener with big time cover issues. That said, the guy could bring it and run pretty good for his size. I figured they'd wait to get a look at him in the new D sets.

He was pretty good at ST. A little erratic, but if he could get somebody lined up, he'd drill 'em.

Now Jason, we hardly knew ye.

In a related note, the Packers signed four guys:
cornerback Trevor Ford
punter Adam Graessle
nose tackle/defensive end Dean Muhtadi
tackle Dane Randolph.

Now how'd they do that?

SnakeLH2006
05-05-2009, 03:45 AM

As much love as Snake had for you as a Mod Bret, I'm really liking you too as a poster. Your are a funny bastard. Keep the faith. You will keep posting, no? I hope or Snake is off.

SkinBasket
05-05-2009, 07:27 AM

I am happy. Not as happy as the day we released Herron or the day Dendy packed his bags, but that's just an indication that the bottom of the roster is getting stronger. Every step away from a sub par/mediocre player is a step in the right direction. At worst we'll replace him with another guy who gets 3 years to develop from absolutely horrendous to below average. At best, we'll find a guy who develops into a starter over that time.

Fritz
05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
If they ever release Bigby, Skin, you're going to be sporting wood for some time...

On a slightly unrelated note, it was kinda funny that the JSO and GBPG both - I think - did stories on the tight ends being brought in. I know JSO did. It was the big deal of the tryouts....these tight ends who might just fit in, be a find, all that - and then the Packers sign four guys who were barely mentioned at all. Doh!

SkinBasket
05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
If they ever release Bigby, Skin, you're going to be sporting wood for some time...

On a slightly unrelated note, it was kinda funny that the JSO and GBPG both - I think - did stories on the tight ends being brought in. I know JSO did. It was the big deal of the tryouts....these tight ends who might just fit in, be a find, all that - and then the Packers sign four guys who were barely mentioned at all. Doh!

I don't think we need to release him. He just shouldn't be starting. Or playing much. Ideally.

Fritz
05-05-2009, 07:46 AM
So you like him as a backup/special teams guy?

SkinBasket
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
So you like him as a backup/special teams guy?

Not really, but we don't have anyone better obviously. I trust that the coaching staff knows our players well enough to play the best we have. Like I said before, it seems safeties are hard to find these days - at least in Green Bay. Hopefully that supposedly talented but dumb Smith guy can figure out enough of the defense to make him averagely effective in all the aspects of the position and Bigby can play some running downs against inside rushing teams.

I don't know his value on ST. If he can't catch up to the wedge guys, is he ever going to be able to tackle the returner?

run pMc
05-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm a little surprised Hunter was released just like that, but I figured his job was in danger when they drafted that Jones guy -- he sounds like he wants to be on all the ST formations.

I thought switching to a 3-4 would benefit Hunter since he was a tweener, but TT/M3 must have determined he wasn't natural as an OLB. My guess is the pass rush ability they saw wasn't good enough or developing fast enough, and he probably can't cover TE/RB's anyway.

I wonder if he had an attitude issue -- his productivity on ST dropped last year. Finally, since he's a vet he'd cost more to keep than a rookie. TT is counting those pennies (hopefully to extend GJ's contract).

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I always thought Montgomery was worse than Hunter, he is SO SLOW off the ball. But Montgomery started making plays in the second half of last season. He got a new contract, guess must have been a free agent already. (Time flies when you're a nameless guy on the bench.)

KYPack
05-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Hunter wore number 57. That was Clay Matthews III's daddies' number for so many great seasons in the NFL.

I assumed they would give the kid Hunter's old number. What they did is sorta slick. They assigned number 57 to tackle Dane Randolph, a FA tackle they just signed. Tackles with number 57 last as long as spring training pitchers with number 91. When Randolph gets cut, I'm pretty sure CMIII will get 57.

Thus, he's spared the stigma of "stealing" Hunter's old number.

Joemailman
05-05-2009, 01:20 PM

If I were Atari Bigby, I'd be nervous.

swede
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Hunter wore number 57. That was Clay Matthews III's daddies' number for so many great seasons in the NFL.

I assumed they would give the kid Hunter's old number. What they did is sorta slick. They assigned number 57 to tackle Dane Randolph, a FA tackle they just signed. Tackles with number 57 last as long as spring training pitchers with number 91. When Randolph gets cut, I'm pretty sure CMIII will get 57.

Mebbe it's best to wait 'til September to buy that Clay Mathews jersey, eh?

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 09:16 PM

As much love as Snake had for you as a Mod Bret, I'm really liking you too as a poster. Your are a funny bastard. Keep the faith. You will keep posting, no? I hope or Snake is off.

I will be around Snake

Snake will agree with Brett that Michael Crabtree is a flat out stud in the future.

I must be around for that :lol:

Fritz
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
It will speak to the packers' depth if some of GB's cuts in camp - or even someone like Hunter - end up with other teams.

Jason Hunter. I hardly knew him, but then again, he didn't know me at all.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Thus, he's spared the stigma of "stealing" Hunter's old number.What if Clay doesn't wnat that number? What number did he have at USC?

DonHutson
05-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Apparently Hunter didn't see the writing on the wall or he would've sold his number to Matthews while he had the chance.

KYPack
05-07-2009, 02:33 PM

Thus, he's spared the stigma of "stealing" Hunter's old number.What if Clay doesn't want that number? What number did he have at USC?

57 wasn't available at SC.

Fritz
05-08-2009, 07:22 AM

Thus, he's spared the stigma of "stealing" Hunter's old number.What if Clay doesn't want that number? What number did he have at USC?

57 wasn't available at SC.

What would turn all of this into a truly humorous situation would be if Dane Randolph came in, played lights out every damn day so there was no way they could let the guy go....and then he refused to give up his number.

MadScientist
05-08-2009, 09:39 AM
What would turn all of this into a truly humorous situation would be if Dane Randolph came in, played lights out every damn day so there was no way they could let the guy go....and then he refused to give up his number.
Randolph has a minimum contract with no bonus. If Matthews wants the number, he could easily buy it.

KYPack
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Randolph has a minimum contract with no bonus. If Matthews wants the number, he could easily buy it.

That would be the move if the kid makes the practice squad.

If Randolph gets cut, Matthews will wind up with it.

It might take time, high draft pick's jerseys get sold in stores. Those companies don't want to scew customers that have purchased the "old" numbered shirt.

Fosco33
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM

I will be around Snake

Snake will agree with Brett that Michael Crabtree is a flat out stud in the future.

You, me and Partial were in that group... If Crabman fails at SF - we can always blame their lack of quality QB. 8-)

SnakeLH2006
05-09-2009, 03:48 AM

I will be around Snake

You, me and Partial were in that group... If Crabman fails at SF - we can always blame their lack of quality QB. 8-)

LOL. I saw that quote. Yo Brett. I won't agree. Crabs is a condition, not a playmaker. Dude has too much attitude. He may be great, but Snake does NOT support that post. 8-) :lol: