PDA

View Full Version : Question on Due Diligence for Fans of Other Teams

Fritz
05-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Living in Detroit but being a lifelong Packer fan, the internet has been a boon in my life. I see that Thompson, for example, brings in oodles of players for tryouts, and the organization truly does seem to leave no stone unturned (so much so that some of these guys do seem like they've crawled out from under rocks...).

I read the Detroit papers and read some internet sites pretty carefully, but I see no evidence that the Lions go to these lengths, at all, though I wonder if it's because there's more to cover in Detroit sports-wise than Green Bay, so there is no desire to have full articles about the high school drop-out with great measurables that the team is bringing in for a tryout.

So, my question for people in other cities: do other teams seem to beat the bushes for players as much as the Packers do?

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 07:55 AM
The Miami Dolphins brought Darrell Bevel in for a tryout once. So pack aren't the only ones beating those bushes.

Fritz
05-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Darell Bevell. Man, that guy wasn't even that good of a college quarterback.

cpk1994
05-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Darell Bevell. Man, that guy wasn't even that good of a college quarterback.He didn't have to be. He was an effective game manager always completing more than 50% of his passes in a given game. He also has a Rose Bowl ring. I think he was a better QB than you give him credit for.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Maybe the PAckers should give him a tryout.

Rastak
05-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Yup....in the Vikings case, they brought in Brock Lesnar a few years back as a DT. Todd Lowber who supposedly ran a sub 4.2 40 was in camp a couple years back and this year they have a Gopher wrestler who plays gaurd in camp.

I think Lowber has bounced around different camps since and the current wrestler can actually play some from what I hear. I doubt he sticks though.

KYPack
05-05-2009, 08:20 AM
The Bengals bring in guys all the time that have local ties. They get 'human interest' PR from doing so. The last UDFA they had do anything was a guy from UK named Glenn Holt.

I think the main function of this activity is to get camp bodies.

NE has a guy who never played football at any level.

I think most org's beat the weeds pretty well. It's a tiny cost and might hit a player for it.

cpk1994
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe the PAckers should give him a tryout.If you are talking about Bevell, he is actually younger than Favre so he probably still has something left. :lol:

pbmax
05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Darell Bevell. Man, that guy wasn't even that good of a college quarterback.
He got Lee DeRamus drafted, that took some doing. :lol:

pbmax
05-05-2009, 09:26 AM
So, my question for people in other cities: do other teams seem to beat the bushes for players as much as the Packers do?
There was a time in the seventies that the Steelers were the only org to truly scout all the colleges (big and small) themselves. That is how they put those draft classes of Hall of Famers together.

But these days, its more news that a team doesn't have enough full-time scouts to do all there scouting alone (Bengals). Most teams bring in the same number of players, but each team has "type" it always seems to attract. Thompson always has a number of smaller college guys in the hopper, Wolf loved the big programs. Belicheck seems to like the same big program, football 24 hrs a day players Wolf did.

PackerBlues
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I recently watched a segment on whatever channel I happened to flip to while bored, that showed that the Cowboys are involved in some sort of reality tv show. They are taking guys who had injuries coming out of colledge, and are giving them a chance to compete for a spot on the team.

One of the guys they were giving a "second chance" to, was a WR that played for the Badgers. He had a leg injury of some sort so didnt get drafted. Apparently he did get signed by a team (buffalo i think they said) and reinjured his leg.......now he is getting another chance.

Sorry I dont recall the guys name, Im not into college sports much.

cpk1994
05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I recently watched a segment on whatever channel I happened to flip to while bored, that showed that the Cowboys are involved in some sort of reality tv show. They are taking guys who had injuries coming out of colledge, and are giving them a chance to compete for a spot on the team.

One of the guys they were giving a "second chance" to, was a WR that played for the Badgers. He had a leg injury of some sort so didnt get drafted. Apparently he did get signed by a team (buffalo i think they said) and reinjured his leg.......now he is getting another chance.

Sorry I dont recall the guys name, Im not into college sports much.Probably Luke Swan.

PackerBlues
05-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Sorry I dont recall the guys name, Im not into college sports much.Probably Luke Swan.

Yep, your right Cpk, just googled it, this is what came up:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/mobile/mobile_story.aspx?sportid=111&storyID=17857

oregonpackfan
05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Darell Bevell. Man, that guy wasn't even that good of a college quarterback.He didn't have to be. He was an effective game manager always completing more than 50% of his passes in a given game. He also has a Rose Bowl ring. I think he was a better QB than you give him credit for.

I agree. Not only was he an effective game manager, he was a very intelligent QB who made very few mistakes. Both he and John Stocco were very similar, IMO.

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
They are taking guys who had injuries coming out of colledge.

Eww.

Fritz
05-05-2009, 11:15 AM

I agree. Not only was he an effective game manager, he was a very intelligent QB who made very few mistakes. Both he and John Stocco were very similar, IMO.

Maybe he was.

Fritz
05-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, I guess that answers my question. Everybody in the league, except maybe the Lions, is beating the bushes. I bet Al Davis goes to high school track meets with a stop watch.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, I guess that answers my question. Everybody in the league, except maybe the Lions, is beating the bushes. I bet Al Davis goes to high school track meets with a stop watch.Or at least what he thinks is a high school track meet. It ends up being a swap meet.