PDA

View Full Version : Sunday, November 1 - 12pm Central - Boo or Cheer?

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:08 PM
So this may actually happen. Will Favre be greeted by cheers or jeers as he trots on to the hallowed grounds of Lambeau Field wearing the purple uniform of the Minnesota Vikings?

http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/FavreViking(1).jpg

falco
05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
boo loudly and boo proudly

:x

falco is trembling with anticipation...

it's on like donkey kong!

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 06:14 PM
It'll be a mixed bag. I'd think there'd be more cheers than boos. I'd cheer him though. Out of respect for the last decade and a half, out of respect for the Packers, I'd cheer him. I'd expect many other people who feel the way I do about him right now would cheer him out of respect for the Packers as well.

falco
05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
It'll be a mixed bag. I'd think there'd be more cheers than boos. I'd cheer him though. Out of respect for the last decade and a half, out of respect for the Packers, I'd cheer him. I'd expect many other people who feel the way I do about him right now would cheer him out of respect for the Packers as well.

I imagine the atmosphere at Lambeau Field that day will be rather electric...

BallHawk
05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Cheer for 15 seconds, than proceed to boo.

Rastak
05-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Cheer for 15 seconds, than proceed to boo.

He's got it right. I generally cheer Vikings that have moved on and that did big things for the team......John Randle, Randy Moss etc.....

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Think he'll sign my poster?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/DosaRavengard/Will_Stuff/bf-drama-queen-lo.jpg

Waldo
05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Throw stuff at him. Shower him with beer.

Oscar
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think I'll be cheering for Favre in purple.. Though, I'll scream as loud as I can when Woodson picks him off and takes it in for a T.D. :)

falco
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think I'll be cheering for Favre in purple.. Though, I'll scream as loud as I can when Woodson picks him off and takes it in for a T.D. :)

doesn't all that screaming hurt your ears?

Oscar
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Why would it? I'll assume you set quiet when you attend a Packer game??

mission
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
i would boo the hell out of him... honestly.

just cuz that's what fan(atics) are supposed to do. i dont root for players on other teams outright and i sure as hell aint gonna root for a player who chose his team because he wanted to get back at the one that paid him so well over the years.

i would even make sure to drink extra beer before the game just so my boo game was right.

mission
05-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Why would it? I'll assume you set quiet when you attend a Packer game??

He meant that you would have to do A LOT of screaming because of all the INTs :lol:

Oscar
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM

just cuz that's what fan(atics) are supposed to do. i dont root for players on other teams outright and i sure as hell aint gonna root for a player who chose his team because he wanted to get back at the one that paid him so well over the years.

i would even make sure to drink extra beer before the game just so my boo game was right.

Sure all that Booing doesn't hurt your ears Mission... :P :lol:

Oscar
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Got it... :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:29 PM

Whoa. What kind of beer?

BF4MVP
05-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd boo. As loudly as I can.

Then I'd proceed to cheer as loudly as I can for Rodgers.

BF4MVP
Think he'll sign my poster?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/DosaRavengard/Will_Stuff/bf-drama-queen-lo.jpg
hahahaha nice

mission

Sure all that Booing doesn't hurt your ears Mission... :P :lol:

Ive got super sonic engineer ears... now my eye sight, that's another story.

falco
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Got it... :lol:

:lol:

MJZiggy
05-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Whoa. What kind of beer?

Milwaukee's Best? I'd think that'd do it...

mission
05-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Whoa. What kind of beer?

Ya or Natty Light or something... almost wouldn't want to waste a WI product.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM

Whoa. What kind of beer?

But it's Wisconsin. Beer is for drinking. At least you suggested crappy beer.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
He's got it right. I generally cheer Vikings that have moved on and that did big things for the team......John Randle, Randy Moss etc.....

They didn't sign with the Packers though.
:D

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I dont really boo or cheer at games.. but I'd proudly clap for the man.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Yeah, well I hope he gets the clap too.

Freak Out
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I would boo him like any other Viking. No more or less.

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM

Yeah, well I hope he gets the clap too.

hahaha

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM

I cheered Geoff Jenkins when he came back to Miller Park for the first time as a member of the Phillies. Granted it was different circumstances, but Geoff looks like Brett Favre, so...

I wouldn't be happy to see Brett there wearing purple. But, he's going to come back eventually. He will retire one day and become a Packer again. I don't think I'd want to give him such negative a greeting now, expecting he'll be coming back to embrace our franchise post retirement.

I'd boo him at the Humpty Dump. Not at Lambeau Field.

Lurker64
05-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I would boo him with more vitriol and hatred than I have booed anybody in sports ever... and I once threw quarters at Chuck Knoblauch.

mission
05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I would boo him with more vitriol and hatred than I have booed anybody in sports ever... and I once threw quarters at Chuck Knoblauch.

This, I needed to read. You're one of the posters I respect most here and had I read anything stating otherwise, I would have definitely questioned my decision making.

Chuck has had plenty moments in his career that warranted quarter throwing .. :doh:

Waldo
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Whoa. What kind of beer?

Low grade crap, a half step up from pee. Would think seriously about peeing in an empty glass, then throwing it at him. Recycled beer.

b bulldog
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Boo like crazy and just pray that our db's can hold on to his 4-6 errant throws during the game. Wouldn't mind seeing Mathews plant his helmet in Brett's back either.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Would think seriously about peeing in an empty glass, then throwing it at him. Recycled beer.

That's the spirit Waldo!

Freak Out
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Would think seriously about peeing in an empty glass, then throwing it at him. Recycled beer.

That's the spirit Waldo!

Nice....nothing like central American tactics being brought to a Packer game. :roll:

Waldo
05-05-2009, 07:33 PM

That's the spirit Waldo!

Nice....nothing like central American tactics being brought to a Packer game. :roll:

Only the finest pleasantries for Darth Favre.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 07:34 PM

That's the spirit Waldo!

They do that in St. Louis?

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 07:35 PM

That's the spirit Waldo!

Only the finest pleasantries for Darth Favre.

:lol: :lol:

Tony Oday
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I would boo just like all the other Vikings. He is a prima donna that did great things for our franchise when he was here but he is no longer a Packer.

Honestly I hope we don't retire his jersey anymore either. He would just turn that into a forum to bad mouth the franchise that made him...

RashanGary
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I'd boo. I think I'm going to find a way to get to that game, if it happens.

Rastak
05-05-2009, 08:04 PM

True dat, I'd have to think long and hard about that I guess..... 8-)

Lurker64
05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Honestly I hope we don't retire his jersey anymore either. He would just turn that into a forum to bad mouth the franchise that made him...

They could always do the thing they did with Paul Hornung's #5 jersey, where they don't officially retire it... they just don't give it to anybody else. Considering that Hornung was one of the greatest players of all time at his position and he won four championships, it's not like Favre has an absolutely clear case as being more worthy than Paul.

What is the deal with Hornung's number not being retired anyway?

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM

They could always do the thing they did with Paul Hornung's #5 jersey, where they don't officially retire it... they just don't give it to anybody else. Considering that Hornung was one of the greatest players of all time at his position and he won four championships, it's not like Favre has an absolutely clear case as being more worthy than Paul.

just another horshit move by the Packers organization.. plain and simple

3irty1
05-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Unless they flew 9 feet over his head and hit his mom in the face you're not even.

Lurker64
05-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Wait... Hornung retired in 1966... have the Packers been a shitty organization for the past 43 years?

digitaldean
05-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I'd boo. He does deserve an ovation for what he has done here.

But after that it's game on.
:smack: :smack:

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Wait... Hornung retired in 1966... have the Packers been a shitty organization for the past 43 years?

no not overall.. but again, do I have to agree with all what they do just because I am a Packer fan? its a horshit move by them...

3irty1
05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I might not be able to watch the NFL this year. A good fan would boo but I never want to live to see the day where Favre is booed in Lambeau.

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I might not be able to watch the NFL this year. A good fan would boo but I never want to live to see the day where Favre is booed in Lambeau.

You must not of watched a couple of the games in the 4-12 season then. I remember plenty of those amazing Packer fans who never leave the game early and that are the most loyal to their team in the league boo and leave during the Titans game and I believe the Ravens game. I might have the teams wrong but I know there was 2 games where people left and a ton of boo'ing... and it was at that point that I snapped outta thinking Packers fans shit does stink!

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 08:26 PM

I wonder, would the poll results be different if he were to return to Lambeau as a Jet. Or a Redskin. Or any other team other than the Vikings or Lions or Bears.

I agree with 3irty1, I never ever thought I'd see the day where Favre was booed at Lambeau Field.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 08:29 PM

I wonder, would the poll be different if he were to return to Lambeau as a Jet. Or a Redskin. Or any other team other than the Vikings or Lions or Bears.

The Lions would just be funny. No boos, just some get well soon cards.

The Bears on the other hand - well that would be far worse than the Vikings.

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 08:31 PM

I wonder, would the poll be different if he were to return to Lambeau as a Jet. Or a Redskin. Or any other team other than the Vikings or Lions or Bears.

Yeah, LOL @ the Lions I know. But any team not in our division, would he be cheered or booed?

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but isn't this the packerrats poster game? Won't tickets be impossible?

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 08:34 PM

Yeah, LOL @ the Lions I know. But any team not in our division, would he be cheered or booed?

Right now the poll says 23-2 in favor of booing for Favre as a Viking - still too close to call.

falco

i don't know man, right now it looks like the boos have it.

Gunakor
sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but isn't this the packerrats poster game? Won't tickets be impossible?

:!: :!: :!:

You are absolutely right. Tickets are gonna be horrendous. It's going to be the hottest ticket to a Packer game at Lambeau field, maybe ever. Certainly top 5.

Scott Campbell

Only if you insist on a free ticket for your lesbian friend.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2009, 08:35 PM

I want that locker back.

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Right now the poll says 23-2 in favor of booing for Favre as a Viking - still too close to call.

Right. What I was getting at was whether or not most of this hate is because he's a Viking, or because of what happened last summer.

falco
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Right. What I was getting at was whether or not most of this hate is because he's a Viking, or because of what happened last summer.

I think it is a combination - I doubt he would have had that many boos showing up as a Jet, if they played here. But going to the vikings is his way to throw a big fuck you to the organization, and most of the fans are going to be a little bit protective of their team.

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 08:50 PM

I think it is a combination - I doubt he would have had that many boos showing up as a Jet, if they played here. But going to the vikings is his way to throw a big fuck you to the organization, and most of the fans are going to be a little bit protective of their team.

I absolutely can agree with that.

My point in all of this was in response to the post, I forget whose it was now, that said we shouldn't retire his number anymore. I tied that to his being booed at Lambeau at the posters game (just a tie in to the thread, not a broad assumption), and just wanted to figure out whether it was because he became a Viking or because he is no longer a Packer.

pbmax
05-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Brass cojones this man has, you have to give him that. What is the opposite of a shrinking violet? :shock:

Cheer him taking the field and then boo the rest of the game. And at least Longwell will have someone to go to Applebees with after the game. :lol:

Gunakor
05-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Cheer him taking the field and then boo the rest of the game.

Well said.

:tup:

Packers4Ever
05-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Finally ! Someone voting with his head on straight. No one remembers
the Packers of the '70's and 80's? No one remembers who turned that
franchise around and set it up straight again?

Who really KNOWS for sure what-all happened last year? There's plenty
of blame to go around on both sides of the line. I'll cheer for the Pack,
they're still my team and I'll never Boo them, but I'll never forget the joy and excitement Favre gave us all.

Tony Oday
05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
I do not want to see his jersey retired because that is for elite talent both on and off the field for the organization and yourself. He is going to a hated rival and has said he hates GB because he couldn't rule it and found out he has a boss. I say screw the guy that EVERYONE thought they could go out for a beer with, he has shown his true colors.

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I do not want to see his jersey retired because that is for elite talent both on and off the field for the organization and yourself. He is going to a hated rival and has said he hates GB because he couldn't rule it and found out he has a boss. I say screw the guy that EVERYONE thought they could go out for a beer with, he has shown his true colors.

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

Badgerinmaine
05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I will politely applaud when he is introduced. I will also scream my head off with joy at every single pick he throws and every time he's knocked on his ass, too.
I hope and expect to be hoarse. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony Oday
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM

lol the first crutch of the person that can't argue his point...

MOBB DEEP
05-05-2009, 09:35 PM
stupid hick no life local bamas will boo insted of enjoying this game which is mere ENTERTAINMENT

im sure he's immune to boos at his age and stature

we should be fanatics ONLY for god and family......

MOBB DEEP
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I will politely applaud when he is introduced. I will also scream my head off with joy at every single pick he throws and every time he's knocked on his ass, too.
I hope and expect to be hoarse. :clap: :clap: :clap:

now this makes sense

Bretsky
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd cheer on his introduction; I'm surprised anybody would do differently

All this rivalry crap; that is fan born and media born. Does anybody really think these opposing teams hate each other ? Things are not like the old days. Rivalries are for fans.

Favre does not dislike Green Bay; he dislikes Ted Thompson. As fans we can pick sides and choose to believe what we want from the limited information that others have fed us; we don't know half of what occured behind closed doors.

This would probably be a game I would never attend

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 09:42 PM

I don't wanna argue. You're just being a huge baby. I mean honestly on and off the field? We wont touch Brett's on the field stuff cuz I'm sure ur well aware of all that stuff. But off the field? Serious? The guy gives back a ton every single year, a lot more than most pro athletes and you're gonna stick your nose up at the guy because of something you really don't have all the answers to? Favre, yes.. maybe he has messed up in the past year but to blame it solely on him and then just throw out all the good things hes done because your a fuckin baby and cant deal with him playing for an opponent? Thats crazy talk man.. crazy.. be thankful we had him for 16 seasons.. I know I sure as hell am.

Oh and Ps. I'd still love to have a beer with him and I bet u'd pee your pants if he wanted to have one with you too.. talk about crazy.. grow up Peter Pan..

MOBB DEEP
05-05-2009, 09:43 PM

All this rivalry crap; that is fan born and media born. Does anybody really think these opposing teams hate each other ? Things are not like the old days. Rivalries are for fans.

Favre does not dislike Green Bay; he dislikes Ted Thompson. As fans we can pick sides and choose to believe what we want from the limited information that others have fed us; we don't know half of what occured behind closed doors.

well put ....

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 09:43 PM

perfectly said! :five:

Partial
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Bretsky is a classy dude. I agree with him 100% on this.

I don't really understand why anyone would boo any player period unless they do something dirt, and I'd boo said player regardless of what team they're on.

mraynrand
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Fuck you, Asshole.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/vikingfavre2.jpg

Pacopete4
05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Fuck you, Asshole.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/vikingfavre2.jpg

he looks like a sheep haha

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
he looks like a sheep haha

Especially to this guy:

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/buscook.jpg

Tony Oday
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM

I don't wanna argue. You're just being a huge baby. I mean honestly on and off the field? We wont touch Brett's on the field stuff cuz I'm sure ur well aware of all that stuff. But off the field? Serious? The guy gives back a ton every single year, a lot more than most pro athletes and you're gonna stick your nose up at the guy because of something you really don't have all the answers to? Favre, yes.. maybe he has messed up in the past year but to blame it solely on him and then just throw out all the good things hes done because your a fuckin baby and cant deal with him playing for an opponent? Thats crazy talk man.. crazy.. be thankful we had him for 16 seasons.. I know I sure as hell am.

Oh and Ps. I'd still love to have a beer with him and I bet u'd pee your pants if he wanted to have one with you too.. talk about crazy.. grow up Peter Pan..

Actually no I wouldnt have a beer with him anymore, though I do like the Wedding Crashers quote.

No I do not think he should have a retired jersey. He is a HOF for sure and should be in the Packer Hall as well. I am saying a person/player should support his club. He turned his back on us when he left...not because he left but because in the manner that he did it. There was no doubt he wanted out or his own way and that is childish. If he would have left and let by gones be by gones I would totally love him to have #4 retired.

Now he is an above average QB that is pissed because the sun doesn't rise out of his head and set in his ass. I do not wish the guy harm in any way I just do not think that he should have the honor of getting his jersey retired.

Fosco33
05-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Pretty soon we'll really be able to call him a DRAMA QUEEN

Waldo
05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/Waldo56/FavreVader1.jpg

His true colors have come out.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 10:48 PM
No I do not think he should have a retired jersey.

I still think they should retire his jersey, but I'd just mount it in one of the ladies bathrooms instead of inside the stadium.

MJZiggy
05-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I have a friend who wants to come and wear a Skins jersey (he's a local, whaddaya want?) and boo Favre with all his might. Thinks he should have let the retirement stick the first time.

gbgary
05-05-2009, 11:06 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

Sparkey
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM

Just an FYI for you ... courtesy of Lee Remmel

The specific jersey involved in the ceremony honoring Reggie White, conducted at halftime of a game against Tampa Bay in Lambeau Field, Oct. 10, 1999, was indeed retired but -- an important distinction, the number was not. There have been only four Packers jersey numbers officially retired -- those of Don Hutson (14), Tony Canadeo (3), Ray Nitschke (66) and Bart Starr (15) -- and Packers Corporation policy currently prohibits retiring any additional numbers.

With respect to whether or not Hornung should be considered for the honor, I think a valid case could be made for retiring Paul's No. 5, based on the fact that he led the NFL in scoring three consecutive seasons (1959-60-61) and still holds the league single-season scoring record (176 points in 1960, a 14-game season); plus he remains the fourth-ranking scorer in team history, holds the club record for most points scored in a single game, 33, against the Baltimore Colts in 1961, and is the only player in the team's 84-year-old NFL history to have scored five touchdowns in a single game (against the Colts in 1965). But, it should be noted, there are others who also would qualify, notably Forrest Gregg, a nine-time Pro Bowl and eight-time all-pro selection, and Willie Wood, an eight-time Pro Bowler.

At one time there was an erroneous presumption that Hornung's number had been retired, a presumption that may still exist in certain quarters. It stemmed from a comment Vince Lombardi made during the Packers' then annual outing for the state's sports media at Oneida Golf and Riding Club in July of 1967. He announced, during a press conference, that "as long as I am with the Packers, Paul Hornung's number will never be reissued."

Lombardi, however, was to remain in Green Bay only another 20 months before accepting an offer to become vice president, general manager and head coach of the Washington Redskins in February of 1969.

The subject had arisen because, earlier in 1967, Lombardi had placed Hornung's name in the expansion draft for the New Orleans Saints, who were entering the NFL as an expansion team, and Hornung subsequently had decided to retire.
--------------------------------------------

Also, the NFL frowns on teams retiring numbers. Jerseys are often retired, but not the numbers.

Zool
05-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I boo any and all players on the Vikings and Bears regardless of past achievements. I would stay quiet during the intro to take in the crowd reaction then talk shit about him the rest of the game.

Man, imagine if Robin Yount had played a year or 2 with the Cubs? I remember booing the hell out of Molitor in a Twins uni. You're either with us, or against us. There's no middle ground.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2009, 11:52 PM

A friend at another forum asked me to pass this along:

Mr. Bad Example

Hornung was the beneficiary of all the talent around him, perhaps moreso than any other Packer of that era.

First off, he's about as marginal a HoF'er as it gets.

Secondly, if we retired the numbers of all Packers in the Hall of Fame, GB would have to start issuing jerseys with numbers in the triple digits.

CheeseCityFan

I respectfully disagree. Inside the 20 Hornung was a special player with a nose for the goal. His presence elevated the confidence of his teammates. His ability to run, catch passes, throw passes, and placekick has not been seen since--176 points scored in a twelve game season was remarkable.

Mr. Bad Example

Led the league in scoring three times - not bad.

Never lead the league - heck, never had a TOP FIVE FINISH - in any other category (asterisk because of his leading the league in tds in '60, which directly played into his leading the league in scoring that year).

The reason he had those 3 league-leading seasons were because he was a decent enough player who scored tds (and again, for a "special player with a nose for the goal" he had 15 tds in his tremendous 1960 campaign, 47 - an average of about 6 a year - for the rest of his career) but mainly because he was also the KICKER for a prolific offense. What sort of totals would, say, an Emmitt Smith or Ladanian Tomlinson rack up if they were allowed to put all extra points through, or attempt FGs (which they'd only have to hit at a 47% clip)? They're good athletes, they could probably manage it (Hornungs '60 season was 176 pts in 12 games - 14 pts a game, let's call it; LT's '06 season, if he'd kicked SD's 58 XP at a 90% clip would have resulted in a staggering 238 pts, or about 15 pts a game - WITHOUT FGs; if he makes 13 of 29 FG attempts, it goes up to mind-boggling 277 pts/17 pts a game).

Was Hornung's '60 season a singularly impressive feat, as it stands? You bet. His '61 season was right behind it. But a Hall of Famer needs to have at least a 5 year window of dominance, except, perhaps, in cases of truly transcendant athletes (like Gale Sayers). Aside from prolific scoring tallies for a couple, three years, while he was surrounded by Hall of Fame talent, no less, Hornung's career is remarkably unremarkable for a Hall of Famer.

The whole "nose for the goal" thing isn't necessarily borne out by the number either - if you want to quibble about '57 and '58, go ahead, but I'm not messing with them - Hornung scored 3 and 2 rushing tds on horrid Packer teams. In '59, he scored 7, one more than Jim Taylor on 32 more carries. '60 was the year that probably put him in the Hall of Fame. In '61, Jim Taylor nearly doubled his rushing td output, 15-8 (carries per td for both were about 16-1); in '62 Taylor scored 19 tds, Hornung 5 (Taylor scored a td once every 14 carries, Hornung once every 11); '64 Taylor 12, Hornung 5 (Taylor a hair under once every 20 carries, Hornung a smidge over); '65, Hornung finally tremendously outpaces Taylor on the per-carry td front (once every 18 for Hornung, once every 50 for Taylor), but both are smoked by Elijah Pitts, who scores once every 14 carries. '66, never mind (trust me, don't even look - it's ugly for Paul and Jimmy).

In '67, Donny Anderson and Elijah Pitts apparently took over the Hornung role - Anderson scored once every 16 carries, Pitts once every 13.

Now, I love the Golden Boy, you love the Golden Boy, we all love the Golden Boy, but facts are facts - his td numbers were exceptional in ONE year; his scoring totals were exceptional in TWO years; his overall career rushing and receiving numbers are rather pedestrian. That is not a Pro Football Hall of Fame resume.

th87
05-06-2009, 01:39 AM
We are citizens of Packer Nation, and Favre could commit treason (or possibly already has, depending on who you believe).

While Packer Nation isn't close to as serious as our real nation, and thus committing treason against this nation isn't close to as bad, it's as bad of a thing you can do within football.

So my booing will be merciless.

Pacopete4
05-06-2009, 01:42 AM
We are citizens of Packer Nation, and Favre could commit treason (or possibly already has, depending on who you believe).

While Packer Nation isn't close to as serious as our real nation, and thus committing treason against this nation isn't close to as bad, it's as bad of a thing you can do within football.

I don't get it? Why is he a trader? Because the Packers didn't want him anymore, he's forced to only play on teams that are not rivals of the Packers?... doesn't make sense!

BobDobbs
05-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Wow a Favre Thread!

I'd boo him like I'd boo a professional wrestler. Full Gusto, but ultimately it's for the fun of it. IF he actually unretires AGAIN to come back to play for the Vikings at a cap friendly salary this situation becomes farcical, a satire of football. A big fat soap opera.

So on that level I'd love it as drama and entertainment and I'll play along, But I just can't actually care about Brett Favre's ridiculous life anymore.

I think I'd just wait for the team bus to roll up with an old school ghetto blaster boombox and just play the chorus to 'self-destruction' on loop. I should probably do that for the Vikings game every year actually.

th87
05-06-2009, 02:03 AM

I don't get it? Why is he a trader? Because the Packers didn't want him anymore, he's forced to only play on teams that are not rivals of the Packers?... doesn't make sense!

1. The Packers did want him but he retired. And then he wanted to come back, and the Packers still wanted him. And then he said he was staying retired. By then, the Packers had to commit to Rodgers. How many mind changes should Favre get, you think? 10? 100?

2. Favre is seeking out the Packers' main rival largely out of spite. That makes him a traitor. Longwell and Sharper didn't seem to have spite driving them - Favre does.

SnakeLH2006
05-06-2009, 02:12 AM

1. The Packers did want him but he retired. And then he wanted to come back, and the Packers still wanted him. And then he said he was staying retired. By then, the Packers had to commit to Rodgers. How many mind changes should Favre get, you think? 10? 100?

2. Favre is seeking out the Packers' main rival largely out of spite. That makes him a traitor. Longwell and Sharper didn't seem to have spite driving them - Favre does.

Ya know...Snake has enjoyed your posts of late as you TH87 have been posting alot of good stuff lately, but who cares? He's not a Packer anymore....just a player wanting to win a SB as most players want to do. If KGB came back, would you hate him for wanting to win? Who gives a fuck? Just another player that wants to win. What's the prob. if he's an excellent former Pack player that wants to win. I as a man (Snake) don't and won't want Brett to win vs. us (GB) but if he wins sobeit. Who cares? He's not OUR property ANYMORE...so let him be. I for one, like seeing him play, but doubt he's a threat anymore with the bum arm/age....so who cares. Let him play if he wants. Jesus man.

I'm not trying to justify Brett as that divorce is fucked up and glad TT got us ARod, but damn put yourself in Brett's shoes, I'd be pissed off and more than happy to stick it to Ted. Not saying it's right, but Snake holds grudges and see's Brett's POV. Once again, though, I could care less as Packers 2009 is all I care about, but let's see who likes Brett in 5 years in Canton. No matter what, dude's a beast even at 40. Let him play. He's not OUR property no more, just NFL now...thus it's fun to see him play.

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 03:24 AM

I agree with you here on almmost everything. However I disagree about Sharper. I do believe he had some spite. He just chose not to be public to the point of pissing on the organization on national TV about it.

Your first bullet point shoould be read by all Favre fans who propogate the myth that the Packers simply didn't want him anymore. The Packers did welcome him back once. But it is hard to want Favre back when you have made months of prep time with Rodgers only to have Favre demand his job back in July, especially when the head man preaches committment to team.

Fritz
05-06-2009, 06:29 AM

they're still my team and I'll never Boo them, but I'll never forget the joy and excitement Favre gave us all.

Is Ron Wolf coming to the game???

falco
05-06-2009, 07:05 AM
snake, your posts remind me of woodbucks but without all the commas. I really have to stop and focus in order to read them! :P

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Is Ron Wolf coming to the game???Probably not, but Bob HArlan could be there.

Also, how about wating until he signs a contract before answering so you know for sure that Favre will even be there himself.

Fritz
05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
I just wanted to go and boo Ron Wolf for the John Michels, Antuan/Antwan Eduards, and Jamaal Reynolds picks.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Just an FYI for you ... courtesy of Lee Remmel

The specific jersey involved in the ceremony honoring Reggie White, conducted at halftime of a game against Tampa Bay in Lambeau Field, Oct. 10, 1999, was indeed retired but -- an important distinction, the number was not. There have been only four Packers jersey numbers officially retired -- those of Don Hutson (14), Tony Canadeo (3), Ray Nitschke (66) and Bart Starr (15) -- and Packers Corporation policy currently prohibits retiring any additional numbers.

With respect to whether or not Hornung should be considered for the honor, I think a valid case could be made for retiring Paul's No. 5, based on the fact that he led the NFL in scoring three consecutive seasons (1959-60-61) and still holds the league single-season scoring record (176 points in 1960, a 14-game season); plus he remains the fourth-ranking scorer in team history, holds the club record for most points scored in a single game, 33, against the Baltimore Colts in 1961, and is the only player in the team's 84-year-old NFL history to have scored five touchdowns in a single game (against the Colts in 1965). But, it should be noted, there are others who also would qualify, notably Forrest Gregg, a nine-time Pro Bowl and eight-time all-pro selection, and Willie Wood, an eight-time Pro Bowler.

At one time there was an erroneous presumption that Hornung's number had been retired, a presumption that may still exist in certain quarters. It stemmed from a comment Vince Lombardi made during the Packers' then annual outing for the state's sports media at Oneida Golf and Riding Club in July of 1967. He announced, during a press conference, that "as long as I am with the Packers, Paul Hornung's number will never be reissued."

Lombardi, however, was to remain in Green Bay only another 20 months before accepting an offer to become vice president, general manager and head coach of the Washington Redskins in February of 1969.

The subject had arisen because, earlier in 1967, Lombardi had placed Hornung's name in the expansion draft for the New Orleans Saints, who were entering the NFL as an expansion team, and Hornung subsequently had decided to retire.
--------------------------------------------

Also, the NFL frowns on teams retiring numbers. Jerseys are often retired, but not the numbers.

Great post Sparkey. Thanks.

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
I just wanted to go and boo Ron Wolf for the John Michels, Antuan/Antwan Eduards, and Jamaal Reynolds picks.Maybe they could convince Mike Sherman to comeback so I can boo him for being an abortion of a GM.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I just wanted to go and boo Ron Wolf for the John Michels, Antuan/Antwan Eduards, and Jamaal Reynolds picks.

:lol:

They should make you sit next to Tank.

oregonpackfan
05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Oh, how the mighty have fallen... :oops:

Fritz
05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Actually, all this anger indicates he hasn't really fallen. If Brett Favre "comes back" again and again next year, and no one starts a Brett Favre thread, then he will have truly fallen.

My preference - if Favre comes trotting out of the Lambeau tunnel in white and purple - would be for him to be greeted by complete and utter silence.

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Whoa. What kind of beer?Exactly. I won't waste quality beer on that.

ThunderDan
05-06-2009, 10:00 AM
What's the prob. if he's an excellent former Pack player that wants to win. I as a man (Snake) don't and won't want Brett to win vs. us (GB) but if he wins sobeit. Who cares? He's not OUR property ANYMORE...so let him be. I for one, like seeing him play, but doubt he's a threat anymore with the bum arm/age....so who cares. Let him play if he wants. Jesus man.

Using that exact logic, you should boo Favre.

He is no longer our property so I should treat him like any opposing QB that comes to Lambeau (forget everything that has happened in the past, it's today that matters). Which means, I will boo him.

swede
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
We need a "BOO" emoticon

Gunakor
05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
What's the prob. if he's an excellent former Pack player that wants to win. I as a man (Snake) don't and won't want Brett to win vs. us (GB) but if he wins sobeit. Who cares? He's not OUR property ANYMORE...so let him be. I for one, like seeing him play, but doubt he's a threat anymore with the bum arm/age....so who cares. Let him play if he wants. Jesus man.

He is no longer our property so I should treat him like any opposing QB that comes to Lambeau (forget everything that has happened in the past, it's today that matters). Which means, I will boo him.

I haven't booed every single player to come into Lambeau wearing a different jersey than those I cheer. I saw a Lions game there once when Joey Harrington was still their starter - how could you boo him? I was there when Tavaris Jackson led the Minnesota Vikings to a whopping 104 yards of total offense for the game a few years back, and I didn't boo him (although I booed Darren Sharper with every last bit of strength I had that night).

I wouldn't boo Favre for being a Viking at Lambeau. At this point, if I were to boo Favre, it would be for being Favre. Viking or otherwise. And you can bet the farm that if I went to a game at the Humpty Dump in Minnesota I'd boo him until I became a mute. I might even invest in buying tickets to a Vikings/Bears game just so I can boo him some more. But, still, I couldn't bring myself to boo Favre at Lambeau. There's something that just doesn't seem right about that, even after all that's happened.

cheesner
05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Cheer for the Packers, of course, just like I do for every other Packer game.

ZachMN
05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
- this isn't about football anymore sycophants- my vote is he doesn't get onto the ring of honor or to the packer hall till after he moves on to the afterlife or is about 100 years old

the fans connection to a team is emotional so for him to do this and to claim 'he loves the game' is a lie- he is selfish and its all about him

Its not about him wanting to win its about him feeling like he is above the team and bigger than the game

Scott Campbell
05-06-2009, 02:43 PM
- this isn't about football anymore sycophants- my vote is he doesn't get onto the ring of honor or to the packer hall till after he moves on to the afterlife or is about 100 years old

No can do. He's coming back to play for the Dolphins that year.

mission
05-06-2009, 02:44 PM

No can do. He's coming back to play for the Dolphins that year.

To get back at the Jets for cutting him?

MOBB DEEP
05-06-2009, 03:09 PM
cant blieve minn govenor is weighn in talkn about it will be great to rub it in with his packer backer friends

wow; is he jesse the body or sumthn???

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 03:16 PM

I haven't booed every single player to come into Lambeau wearing a different jersey than those I cheer. I saw a Lions game there once when Joey Harrington was still their starter - how could you boo him? I was there when Tavaris Jackson led the Minnesota Vikings to a whopping 104 yards of total offense for the game a few years back, and I didn't boo him (although I booed Darren Sharper with every last bit of strength I had that night).

I wouldn't boo Favre for being a Viking at Lambeau. At this point, if I were to boo Favre, it would be for being Favre. Viking or otherwise. And you can bet the farm that if I went to a game at the Humpty Dump in Minnesota I'd boo him until I became a mute. I might even invest in buying tickets to a Vikings/Bears game just so I can boo him some more. But, still, I couldn't bring myself to boo Favre at Lambeau. There's something that just doesn't seem right about that, even after all that's happened.

I wasn't booing either. I was saying Boo-urns.

falco
05-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I wasn't booing either. I was saying Boo-urns.

this is the first post of your three thousand six hundred and sixty that has any merit. and it damn near made up for the 3559. :wink: :P

sharpe1027
05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Actually, all this anger indicates he hasn't really fallen. If Brett Favre "comes back" again and again next year, and no one starts a Brett Favre thread, then he will have truly fallen.

My preference - if Favre comes trotting out of the Lambeau tunnel in white and purple - would be for him to be greeted by complete and utter silence.

I think we should begin an underground movement to institute this. It would be f-ing priceless, after all the media hype, to have an entire stadium sit on their hands and ignore him.

DannoMac21
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
I'd boo. As loudly as I can.

Then I'd proceed to cheer as loudly as I can for Rodgers.

I hope we get that chance!

I'd boo the fuck out of him. Then I'd laugh when Mobb Deep runs on the field and abducts Favre. Then I'll throw up when we later find out that Mobb sucked Brett off 6 times in a day! Just like the 6 TD game!

DannoMac21
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
cant blieve minn govenor is weighn in talkn about it will be great to rub it in with his packer backer friends

wow; is he jesse the body or sumthn???

What is The Phonics Game™?
The Phonics Game™ is a total phonetic reading system, cleverly disguised as a series of fun, interactive games. In fact, it’s six great games your children will love to play over and over. Just put the videos into the VCR and learn all about phonics, then play along! Learning is rapid because children continually see, hear and speak the sounds letters make as they play. Because the games are fun, your children will want to learn.

digitaldean
05-06-2009, 09:21 PM

the fans connection to a team is emotional so for him to do this and to claim 'he loves the game' is a lie- he is selfish and its all about him

Its not about him wanting to win its about him feeling like he is above the team and bigger than the game

I think the majority of Packer fans may end up feeling that way. If the Milw. sports talk shows are any indicator the hosts on WTMJ, WSSP and others are saying that it's about 70% against Favre right now and he hasn't even signed with the Vikes. There is an underlying sentiment from fans that Favre joining Minn. to just get back at GB is a stab in the back.

I remember the horrible QB's we had in the 70s and 80s before Favre came. He has done a lot for this team. But the last several years have diminished him immensely in my eyes.He had the great season in 2007. Still with the separate locker room and special treatment I detest that.

And right now he is doing the same old crap. I'd prefer he just go away right now. If he does join the Vikings, I hope with every fiber in my Packer fan soul he falls flat on his face. It's no more spiteful than him spitting in the Packer fans face to join a divisional rival.

He is presently not acting like an HOF QB. He's acting like a jilted high school girl who got dumped for someone else and is scheming on how to get even come hell or high water, no matter if it costs her all her friends.

If he joins the Vikings, I wouldn't be against him being exiled for awhile as persona non grata from Packerland. That means no ring of honor, no Packer HOF, no jersey retirement. There will be those small groups that will cling to him no matter what, even at the expense of their own team.

All I know is this, Brett Favre can't even hold a candle to the class and dignity as Bart Starr has. Starr had a better surrounding cast over his career than Favre, but Starr still was a leader and class act off the field. I would be curious to see what his reaction is on this fiasco.

cpk1994
05-06-2009, 09:32 PM

I think the majority of Packer fans may end up feeling that way. If the Milw. sports talk shows are any indicator the hosts on WTMJ, WSSP and others are saying that it's about 70% against Favre right now and he hasn't even signed with the Vikes. There is an underlying sentiment from fans that Favre joining Minn. to just get back at GB is a stab in the back.

I remember the horrible QB's we had in the 70s and 80s before Favre came. He has done a lot for this team. But the last several years have diminished him immensely in my eyes.He had the great season in 2007. Still with the separate locker room and special treatment I detest that.

And right now he is doing the same old crap. I'd prefer he just go away right now. If he does join the Vikings, I hope with every fiber in my Packer fan soul he falls flat on his face. It's no more spiteful than him spitting in the Packer fans face to join a divisional rival.

He is presently not acting like an HOF QB. He's acting like a jilted high school girl who got dumped for someone else and is scheming on how to get even come hell or high water, no matter if it costs her all her friends.

If he joins the Vikings, I wouldn't be against him being exiled for awhile as persona non grata from Packerland. That means no ring of honor, no Packer HOF, no jersey retirement. There will be those small groups that will cling to him no matter what, even at the expense of their own team.

All I know is this, Brett Favre can't even hold a candle to the class and dignity as Bart Starr has. Starr had a better surrounding cast over his career than Favre, but Starr still was a leader and class act off the field. I would be curious to see what his reaction is on this fiasco.

I'll disagree with the bolded part. The Packers should not stoop to his level. Stay above Brett's childish behavior. Show some class, something FAvre doesn't have anymore.

As for Starr, I agree with you entirely. I'm sure he is very disappointed and thats about it.

HowardRoark
05-06-2009, 09:33 PM

I think we should begin an underground movement to institute this. It would be f-ing priceless, after all the media hype, to have an entire stadium sit on their hands and ignore him.

What do I think about Brett Favre? I don't think about Brett Favre.