PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Official Thread

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
My favorite is Mike Carey for many reasons, not the least of which being he's not a lawyer. He's an entrepreneur and inventor in a field you'd never guess. Holds several patents. Astounding!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Carey_(American_football)

Mr. Carey is hardly ever the focus of the game, calls them as he sees them and keeps the game moving. Plus he seems fair which is about the most you can ask from a Zebra.

[I'd embed a picture of him in this post but I forgot how to do it!]

Plus, a great list on NFL Officials with links to details is at Wikipedia, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_officials

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
You can't have a greatest list without Ed Hochuli. The man is more ripped than some players.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
My favorite is Mike Carey for many reasons, not the least of which being he's not a lawyer. He's an entrepreneur and inventor in a field you'd never guess. Holds several patents. Astounding!

Favorite official? You are one dedicated fan. My hat goes off to you.

I also like guys who keep the game moving, and don't showboat when making calls.

mraynrand
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
My favorite official is Enrico Palazzo

http://desperateexes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/naked-gun.jpg

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
My favorite official is Enrico Palazzo

http://desperateexes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/naked-gun.jpgA pitchers best friend, calls a strike before you even release the ball.

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
You can't have a greatest list without Ed Hochuli. The man is more ripped than some players.

He's pretty good, but he's a lawyer so he's disqualified from the list. :)

In the old days Tommy Bell was good too. Same problem. Lawyer.

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Favorite official? You are one dedicated fan. My hat goes off to you.

I also like guys who keep the game moving, and don't showboat when making calls.

Maybe favorite is the wrong word. :)

How about least objectionable?

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
He's pretty good, but he's a lawyer so he's disqualified from the list. :)

I thought Ed was done after he handed Denver that win against San Diego last year. That's the worst botched call I've ever seen. He sure bailed out butterfingers Cutler.

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Ayn, I used to be a catcher in the old days. There used to be an umpire in our league who got sore feet around the 5th inning and called anything close to the plate a strike from that point on so he could go home and soak them. No lie.

I don't know. Maybe it was Palazzo's brother.

pbmax
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Jim Tunney could snap Hoculi in half by just signaling for a TV timeout.

Jerry Seeman was a great ref but he always had a weird half smile when signaling for a good attempt at a FG.

And there was never a better call than "giving him the business down here" by Ben Dreith.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Jerry Seeman was a great ref but he always had a weird half smile when signaling for a good attempt at a FG.

And there was never a better call than "giving him the business down here" by Ben Dreith.I loved Seeman. Mentioning him reminided me of one that I miss, Dick Hantak. Why? "FIRST DOWWWWWWWWN".

KYPack
05-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I like Carey, too. He knows how to run a ball game. Hochuli needs to go. He lost control of that Denver-SD game.

Always liked Jerry Markbreit. Carey reminds me of Markbreit

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
He lost control of that Denver-SD game.

I thought he was pretty well respected prior to that game. Have there been other issues?

Cleft Crusty
05-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Ayn, I used to be a catcher in the old days. There used to be an umpire in our league who got sore feet around the 5th inning and called anything close to the plate a strike from that point on so he could go home and soak them. No lie.

I used to Ump games, and I felt the same way as the guy you describe. I pretty much needed Tylenol with codeine just to make it to the fifth inning - at least until I got my hips and knees replaced. I also called people out on the second strike. Managers would complain, but I would just tell them it wasn't my problem they couldn't count to three.

Cleft Crusty
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM

And there was never a better call than "giving him the business down here" by Ben Dreith.I loved Seeman. Mentioning him reminided me of one that I miss, Dick Hantak. Why? "FIRST DOWWWWWWWWN".

How about Red Cashen?

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 02:10 PM

How about Red Cashen?Maybe it was Red! I think I get these two mixed up.

PackerPro42
05-07-2009, 02:21 PM
this is my favorite ref...

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=who+was+the+ref+who+tackled+the+player&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdcdWd BgUBqw

KYPack
05-07-2009, 02:29 PM

I used to Ump games, and I felt the same way as the guy you describe. I pretty much needed Tylenol with codeine just to make it to the fifth inning - at least until I got my hips and knees replaced. I also called people out on the second strike. Managers would complain, but I would just tell them it wasn't my problem they couldn't count to three.

In college, you could get a pittance for umping intra-mural softball games. A pittance was pretty good dough for me and I did it for a couple years. One guy behind the plate, one guy at first.

I was umping first for two female teams. On a bang bang play at first, I called the runner out. There was a ferocious argument from BOTH teams. Everybody was yelling at me, as I insisted I had made the proper call. My umping partner pulled me aside to inform me that I had made two calls at once. Although I had yelled "out', I had made the safe signal with my arms.

If you are the kind of person that bitches at officials and their calls, go ump or referee a game. It's a helluva lot harder than it looks.

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I remember Jerry Markbreit now. Yeah, he was good. In Wikipedia it said he was the official who ejected Charles Martin for "stuffing" Jim McMahon into the turf. A classic (and classically stupid) Packer moment.

The thing about it is, it's hard to remember good refs just because the good one's stay out of the limelight. It's easy to remember bad ones -- at least their person, maybe not their name.

I remember the NBA ref who officiated during the Buck's Kareem Jabbar era. Just can't remember his name. The guy was short and missed as many calls as he made. Eddie Doucette used to ride his butt constantly during broadcasts. The guy was a stumblebum.

But I also agree the officiating is a difficult profession. It takes a special kind of person to do it and do it right. Not only do you have to be fair with good eyes. You got to be in shape -- at least in basketball and football. Baseball is another matter.

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
He lost control of that Denver-SD game.

I thought he was pretty well respected prior to that game. Have there been other issues?

I think he's still one of the best. The problem w/Denver soiled his reputation a bit is all. Still, he's a lawyer. That's the worst knock on him.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I remember Jerry Markbreit now. Yeah, he was good. In Wikipedia it said he was the official who ejected Charles Martin for "stuffing" Jim McMahon into the turf. A classic (and classically stupid) Packer moment.

The thing about it is, it's hard to remember good refs just because the good one's stay out of the limelight. It's easy to remember bad ones -- at least their person, maybe not their name.

I remember the NBA ref who officiated during the Buck's Kareem Jabbar era. Just can't remember his name. The guy was short and missed as many calls as he made. Eddie Doucette used to ride his butt constantly during broadcasts. The guy was a stumblebum.

But I also agree the officiating is a difficult profession. It takes a special kind of person to do it and do it right. Not only do you have to be fair with good eyes. You got to be in shape -- at least in basketball and football. Baseball is another matter.YOu're not kidding about baseball. They employed Eric Gregg, may he rest in peace, for crying out loud.

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Cleft, you kill me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, isn't it about time you held a press conference or two. Maybe in prime time. Compete with Obama.

Maxie the Taxi
05-07-2009, 04:03 PM

But I also agree the officiating is a difficult profession. It takes a special kind of person to do it and do it right. Not only do you have to be fair with good eyes. You got to be in shape -- at least in basketball and football. Baseball is another matter.YOu're not kidding about baseball. They employed Eric Gregg, may he rest in peace, for crying out loud.

Back in the late 60's, early 70's one of my good friends was a MLB umpire. He got fired for being overweight, at least that was the league's side of the story.