PDA

View Full Version : Favre to Vikings will not happen!

PackerBlues
05-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I have a theory that should calm some of you guys down.

Deanna was in GB the other day right? I think she was there to lay down the groundwork for a new retirement contract.

Conversation between Deanna and Ted:

Deanna: "Ted, you were willing to offer Brett $20 Million to stay retired last year......what are you offering this year?"

Ted: "My offer still stands."

Deanna: "Not good enough chump."

Ted: "What can I do to make Brett Happy? What will it take to get him to retire now?"

Deanna: "$50. Million"

Ted: "$50 Million?"

Deanna: "$50 Million and a baboon."

Ted: "A baboon?"

Deanna: "A baboon with white hair...... like yours."

Ted: "The $50 Million is not a problem, the entire reason I have not been signing any free agents the last few years is because I knew I would have to pay Brett off if I wanted him out of town.......but a baboon with white hair just like mine.......nope, can't do it."

Deanna: "Then we have no choice...... Brett will have to play for the Vikings this year."

Ted: "Please, I beg of you, don't do this to me."

Deanna: "You brought this on yourself Beee-atch! Pay up or else!"

The conversation taking place between Childress and Favre right at this very minute:

Childress: "A fucking baboon?"

Favre: "A white Haired Babboon!"

Childress: "ROFLMFAO!"

Favre: "I know. Right?"

It's all just bargaining right now. Ted will pay. One way or the other! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheesner
05-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Deanna was in GB the other day right? I think she was there to lay down the groundwork for a new retirement contract.

Deanna: "Ted, you were willing to offer Brett $20 Million to stay retired last year......what are you offering this year?"

Ted: "What can I do to make Brett Happy? What will it take to get him to retire now?"

Ted: "Well, I have to decrease my offer to $25."

Deanna: "25 million?"

Ted: "No, just the $25."

Deanna: "Why?"

Ted: "Well, when the original marketing plan was drawn up Brett had 20 million loyal fans. With all of this prima donna bullshit behavior, that has not dropped to 3 people."

Deanna: "Three?"

Ted: "Well, we are not really too sure on the demographics, they are posters at Packerrats, but perhaps we can sell 1 jersey to one of them, thus $25."

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 10:37 AM

So your theory is that he's got one more thing in common with Terrell Owens?

Deputy Nutz
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I love the baboon theory, very nice. I wonder what he will care to name the lovable baboon?

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I love the baboon theory, very nice. I wonder what he will care to name the lovable baboon?Brett Jr?

sharpe1027
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Ted will pay. One way or the other! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By Ted paying you mean the Packers organization will be paying. Real funny that my favorite team will be blackmailed by a guy the Packers gave a chance when no-one else would, the same guy they payed hundreds of millions of dollars over the years (and he was worth it).

Just hillarious.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I love the baboon theory, very nice. I wonder what he will care to name the lovable baboon?

How bout "Campbell".

Deputy Nutz
05-07-2009, 10:52 AM

How bout "Campbell".

You are not lovable, much hate and spite fills your heart, indeed.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 10:53 AM

How bout "Campbell".

I guess that rules out "Ted" then.

Deputy Nutz
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I was thinking "Bobo".

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM

How bout "Campbell".

Good point.

How about "Madtown"?

bobblehead
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I love how people build up their own world as a survival mechanism and can ignore facts and reality in it.

If Deanna called TT she would probably be talking to the secretary for about 5 hours.

Deputy Nutz
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM

How bout "Campbell".

Good point.

How about "Madtown"?

Well absolutely, why didn't I think of that.

Spaulding
05-07-2009, 11:14 AM

How bout "Campbell".

Good point.

How about "Madtown"?

How about "Waffle" as in how he handles retirement?

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 11:19 AM

How bout "Campbell".

Good point.

How about "Madtown"?
How about "Waffle" as in how he handles retirement?Yeah. It could then become the mascot of The Waffle House.

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Ted: "The $50 Million is not a problem, the entire reason I have not been signing any free agents the last few years is because I knew I would have to pay Brett off if I wanted him out of town.......but a baboon with white hair just like mine.......nope, can't do it."

Deanna: "Then we have no choice...... Brett will have to play for the Vikings this year."

The conversation taking place between Childress and Favre right at this very minute:

It's all just bargaining right now. Ted will pay. One way or the other! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark Murphy offered Favre 20 million dollars last year. Thompson didn't offer him a dime.

Fritz
05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Prior to last offseason, I always felt Favre was a very likable guy. I think it'd be easy enough for him to rehab his reputation with many fans - all he'd have to do is to sign a deal with The Waffle House as a spokesperson, do a few commercials poking fun at himself, and everybody'd be back in love with the good ol' boy.

I should be his agent. Fire "Bus" Cook. Call me "Inner City Urban Rail" Fritz.

Pacopete4
05-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree Fritz. Even if he were to play for the Vikings, he could do a lot of PR after he's all really done and retired and people will forget all the shenanigans for the past 2-3 seasons with him and TT. Whether or not you are his agent.. I really hope he fires Bus Cook as well.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I agree Fritz. Even if he were to play for the Vikings, he could do a lot of PR after he's all really done and retired and people will forget all the shenanigans for the past 2-3 seasons with him and TT. Whether or not you are his agent.. I really hope he fires Bus Cook as well.

He needs to hire Ari Fleischer.

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM

That'll win us over..

:evil:

Pacopete4
05-07-2009, 12:57 PM

That'll win us over..

Why is this about "us"?

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 01:14 PM

That'll win us over..

Why is this about "us"?

I thought the point was to make people forget all the shenanigans for the past 2-3 seasons with him and TT (that's from your post). Isn't that us?

gex
05-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Very funny thread, Gex got a good chuckle from the original post and all the wise combacks. LOL :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 01:37 PM

That'll win us over..

Why is this about "us"?

I thought the point was to make people forget all the shenanigans for the past 2-3 seasons with him and TT (that's from your post). Isn't that us?

I know it upset people at the time, but it was amazing to watch what happened after Ari. The Packers got their message down, and stopped reacting to all the Favre news. The public perception tide began to turn in their favor at that point.

I said Ari Fleischer tongue in cheek, because it would only take a tiny bit of solid PR advice for Brett to at least stop the bleeding.

DonHutson
05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
"Well, when the original marketing plan was drawn up Brett had 20 million loyal fans. With all of this prima donna bullshit behavior, that has not dropped to 3 people."

Sounds about right, Cheesner.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
That $20M licensing offer was made before the economy completely tanked. I'd be shocked if they could make him a similar offer this year - even if he hadn't gone off the deep end.

Stevogbfan
05-07-2009, 03:47 PM

wow, thanks for that man, it's what the forum and all of us needed, a good lol on the whole favre thing

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Why do you say that Scott?

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Why do you say that Scott?

Because they both got manipulated by Desperate Housewives. :rs:

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2004/04/weekinphotos/041129/nshseridan.jpg

bobblehead
05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Brett: Hey brad, I want to play for the vikings, but that OTA and mini camp stuff is way overrated, just give me a fat paycheck and I'll see you at training camp where you will allow me minimum reps to rest my arm.

Brad: Well, with all the new talent you have to get used to I would really like to have you here right away.

Brett: Well, I got my lawn to mow and my chainsaw to pose with for photo-ops and all, I'll just see you in training camp OK.

Brad: Fuck, now I see why TT and MM kicked your ass out of town, never mind, get outta my office.

Brett: I called this press conference to announce that I am staying retired...all this speculation is unfounded. Brad and I are just good buddies...we talked about my tractor and chainsaw.

sheepshead
05-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Brett is Shellfish.

The media-friendly Kerry Rhodes refused to discuss Favre, saying, "I don't want to get into it." Jerricho Cotchery said, "Before he came to us, the whole thing was he wanted to go to Minnesota. You kind of feel bad if you were the team he settled for."

Another player, who requested anonymity, launched this salvo at the future Hall of Famer: "I'm tired of being part of his soap opera. If he really wanted to win a championship, he'd be right here. Let's call it for what it is: He wants to play for Minnesota so he can stick it to Green Bay twice a year. He's just being selfish. I'm not surprised."

Fritz
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
If the media calls you "media friendly" is that an insult?

Jimx29
05-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm just surprised how well Rosenthals and Jackson have been acting throughout this whole circus started :|

Scott Campbell
05-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm just surprised how well Rosenthals and Jackson have been acting throughout this whole circus started :|

Yeah, a tad better than Chicago Bear Jay Cutler.

cpk1994
05-08-2009, 09:20 PM
That $20M licensing offer was made before the economy completely tanked. I'd be shocked if they could make him a similar offer this year - even if he hadn't gone off the deep end.I believe the offer still stands as is. I don't think the tanking economy will affect that in the slightest. Favre's antics the last few weeks on the other hand.....

MOBB DEEP
05-08-2009, 10:12 PM
defnition of hater

SnakeLH2006
05-09-2009, 03:09 AM
Who cares? Jesus. This Favre shit just divides the threads just like last year. Seems to divide EVERY thread/poster just like last year. But whatever.

Snake's Take:

Bottom line is no matter what, he gets that marketing deal with GB no matter what. His net worth is prob. $100 million. Snake knows rednecks like Brett. They spend their money on guns, booze, hookers, lawn mowers, tractors, and beaver traps. Forget #2 and #3 with Brett. That saves him cash.

It's looking very likely he's motivated with anti-TT sentiment, but who cares? That's his personal deal (as most of us like TT), and makes money EVERY day EVEN now for ESPN, the NFL, etc. with this shit. Some say Bus Cook is an idiot, he may be somewhat, but damn he's making Brett money.

Snake's no virgin cherry with this shit, and usually defended Brett in the past, but is over that as it looks very juvenile now with Brett. So what, he's a FA. Let him play. I'd like to see it if he really thinks he can beat the Pack. Not for a sec. would I like to see him beat GB, but if so, just proves his legend. This guy, as a player, is one of kind. Snake really enjoys seeing him play.

Some think a few years will blow by and Murphy will be:

Murphy: You really made us look stupid but hey you were the biggest money maker in NFL history with media. Sorry, me and TT talked, the marketing deal is off you selfish fuck. Fuck you.
Brett: OK, fuck you.

....More like this:

Murphy: We have a HUGE deal to get us more money in merchandising, etc. as undoubtedly you will help us make money no matter what you did.
Brett: Yep. Ok I sign.
Murphy: Here's a shitload of cash for ya.
Brett: Thanks. I'll be in GB tomorrow.

None of this speculation on motives matters as far as business goes. He's arguably the biggest star in NFL history based on media attention/revenue...even now. He's gonna get that Packer deal NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. So for anyone to say otherwise, your bitter grapes will be wine when he retires in 3 years or whenever. NO ONE WILL CARE.

Who cares? I doubt don't doubt for a second he gives a fuck about the marketing deal. He knows he's cash money no matter what happens and will be loved/glorifed in Packer history when this shit blows over in a few years. So for anyone to say that marketing deal will blow away, is foolish, as would be GB to hold a grudge. It's HUGE money lost....After all it's just a business like all other businesses. Time heals all wounds. I'll be cheering that bullheaded SOB into Canton whenever it happens....based on gameplay, wins, etc. He's truly a magnet for controversy, but what 40 year old athlete this side of Jordan has garnered so much interest/attention? Obviously he doesn't suck or so many teams wouldn't stick their heads out for him....even though he looks juvenile now. I don't support his motivation, but seeing him play is a plus. Kinda sticking it to the man even though it's TT is kinda motivating. If he CAN do it. more power to him, otherwise GO PACK GO. Packers are #1 in Snake's book.

Merlin
05-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Interesting that ALL of the blame goes on Favre, you are haters one and all. Thompson was in that debacle as well and he was as responsible for what transpired as Favre was, yet you give him a pass. You all parrot what the media said, but you really have zero idea of what really happened.

Apparently reality doesn't set well with some of you: Things were so much worse before Thompson got here, we were losing every year, the team sucked, no direction, poor players. Thank God Thompson was hired to change all of that and make this franchise successful once again. I mean really his 31-33 regular season record, his stellar number of playoff appearances, and Super Bowl appearances, are second to none.

It's time to switch to water because the kool-aid you are drinking has really clouded your minds...

Fritz
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Things were not terrible before Thompson got here....just the last two years of Shermy's regime. But those teams also did not have the defense necessary to get to the NFC Championship game. I thought they did, and had some fond memories of those times. I really did think the Packers had some powerhouse teams that just couldn't get over the hump. But I was set straight by another poster who used statistics to demonstrate that the Packer defense was not of championship caliber. That person also reminded me that even discounting the debacle at Philly, the Packers' playoff record was not so good. Michael Vick tearing the Packers to pieces at Lambeau, all of that.

It was team with a superb offense. They had a nice run. It was actually the kind of team that Wist thinks Thompson will be satisfied with: a team that can go 1-6 or so most years, but doesn't have the pieces to get to the Super Bowl.

And then, of course, it fell apart when Sherman tried to get the team over the top by overpaying for guys (Cletidus Hunt, Mike Wahle) and signing others (Joe Johnson) to big contracts, and by giving up draft picks to move up, over and over (Javon Walker, BJ Sander).

It was fun for awhile but it fell apart at the end.

Were the Packers blameless in the Favre saga? Not completely, no. I think the Murphy trip down to offer 20 mill was a terrible idea, and I'm surprised that the brass couldn't see that it would be perceived as a bribe. Maybe Thompson did not take the bull by the horns soon enough. But on the whole, when I look not only at that situation but the way this year's Favre melodrama is unfolding (lots and lots of similarities to last year, yet Thompson is not involved this time), my sense is that most of last year's mess lay at the feet of a guy who has had a great career but is having a really hard time making a decision and sticking with it.

Fritz
05-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Things were not terrible before Thompson got here....just the last two years of Shermy's regime. But those teams also did not have the defense necessary to get to the NFC Championship game. I thought they did, and had some fond memories of those times. I really did think the Packers had some powerhouse teams that just couldn't get over the hump. But I was set straight by another poster who used statistics to demonstrate that the Packer defense was not of championship caliber. That person also reminded me that even discounting the debacle at Philly, the Packers' playoff record was not so good. Michael Vick tearing the Packers to pieces at Lambeau, all of that.

It was team with a superb offense. They had a nice run. It was actually the kind of team that Wist thinks Thompson will be satisfied with: a team that can go 1-6 or so most years, but doesn't have the pieces to get to the Super Bowl.

And then, of course, it fell apart when Sherman tried to get the team over the top by overpaying for guys (Cletidus Hunt, Mike Wahle) and signing others (Joe Johnson) to big contracts, and by giving up draft picks to move up, over and over (Javon Walker, BJ Sander).

It was fun for awhile but it fell apart at the end.

Were the Packers blameless in the Favre saga? Not completely, no. I think the Murphy trip down to offer 20 mill was a terrible idea, and I'm surprised that the brass couldn't see that it would be perceived as a bribe. Maybe Thompson did not take the bull by the horns soon enough. But on the whole, when I look not only at that situation but the way this year's Favre melodrama is unfolding (lots and lots of similarities to last year, yet Thompson is not involved this time), my sense is that most of last year's mess lay at the feet of a guy who has had a great career but is having a really hard time making a decision and sticking with it.

Oops. That would be 10-6.

PackerBlues
05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Interesting that ALL of the blame goes on Favre, you are haters one and all. Thompson was in that debacle as well and he was as responsible for what transpired as Favre was, yet you give him a pass. You all parrot what the media said, but you really have zero idea of what really happened.

Apparently reality doesn't set well with some of you: Things were so much worse before Thompson got here, we were losing every year, the team sucked, no direction, poor players. Thank God Thompson was hired to change all of that and make this franchise successful once again. I mean really his 31-33 regular season record, his stellar number of playoff appearances, and Super Bowl appearances, are second to none.

It's time to switch to water because the kool-aid you are drinking has really clouded your minds...

:tup: :worship: :)

FlashPack
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Not any worse then the load of horse manure you spewed in this post..Please :roll:

CaptainD
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Not any worse then the load of horse manure you spewed in this post..Please :roll:

Saw this posted on another forum which summarizes this whole fiasco the best,
Kudos to Wizard 87 For the post:

Something to consider to those curious at the reaction of some fans…keep in mind it is but my humble opinion.

The decision to go with Rodgers was not because the packers felt Favre was washed up. He obviously had value, as they were able to trade him late in the off season for a 3rd round pick. It was a combination of having no commitment beyond one year at a time, having to plan for that day without knowing when it would be, the readiness of Rodgers whom they drafted because of Favres uncertainty each off season, and the frustration with having a yearly event (blame the media if you want) around “will he” or won’t he”. The packers may have privately hoped he would retire, but they always left that decision to him. Once it was in, they went forward with the plan they had in place for that day.

Making assumptions that the packers didn’t want favre or thought he was washed up, or had no reverence for the mans accomplishments are just that, assumptions made by fans to further what they want to believe or disdain with packer management. There’s no factual evidence to any of it.

The packers for obvious reasons simply didn’t want him to play in their division if they could control it, they knew he didn’t take the news well and had enough dealing with the drama surrounding favre to add to it by facing him twice a year. It’s not as though they didn’t think he could play, they just didn’t know for how long and they knew Rodgers could as well.

Why is that so hard to comprehend? Why does there have to be a villainous plot behind the scenes? The jets made the very same decision the packers did in one years time, yet people still cant understand the common denominator on both accounts. A young QB who they feel good about.

Favre didn’t take the news well, he is still very upset with the packers and his actions only validate that point. He’s provided help to packer opponents, aired his angst on TV with Greta, and even in the jets locker room (last season). Favre is guilty of initiating through his actions and words more distraction and drama than anyone else in all this, and even though I am still a fan, at some point enough is enough. I want Favre and all that comes with it to just go away so I can get back to remembering him for what he ought to be remembered for. But instead, he’s still closer than ever creating distraction in the wake of the process of moving on.

A process I wish Favre would have discovered.

cpk1994
05-13-2009, 12:56 PM

How many NFC title games did your lord Mike Sherman make? I'll wait while you try to count to 0. Ted Thompson has 1. Embarassing playoff losses, destroyed depth. Cap hell. But you keep drinking the kool aid that Sherman was great, becuase reality tells a different story. Whatever fuels your agenda I guess.

DannoMac21
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Something to consider to those curious at the reaction of some fans…keep in mind it is but my humble opinion.

The decision to go with Rodgers was not because the packers felt Favre was washed up. He obviously had value, as they were able to trade him late in the off season for a 3rd round pick. It was a combination of having no commitment beyond one year at a time, having to plan for that day without knowing when it would be, the readiness of Rodgers whom they drafted because of Favres uncertainty each off season, and the frustration with having a yearly event (blame the media if you want) around “will he” or won’t he”. The packers may have privately hoped he would retire, but they always left that decision to him. Once it was in, they went forward with the plan they had in place for that day.

Making assumptions that the packers didn’t want favre or thought he was washed up, or had no reverence for the mans accomplishments are just that, assumptions made by fans to further what they want to believe or disdain with packer management. There’s no factual evidence to any of it.

The packers for obvious reasons simply didn’t want him to play in their division if they could control it, they knew he didn’t take the news well and had enough dealing with the drama surrounding favre to add to it by facing him twice a year. It’s not as though they didn’t think he could play, they just didn’t know for how long and they knew Rodgers could as well.

Why is that so hard to comprehend? Why does there have to be a villainous plot behind the scenes? The jets made the very same decision the packers did in one years time, yet people still cant understand the common denominator on both accounts. A young QB who they feel good about.

Favre didn’t take the news well, he is still very upset with the packers and his actions only validate that point. He’s provided help to packer opponents, aired his angst on TV with Greta, and even in the jets locker room (last season). Favre is guilty of initiating through his actions and words more distraction and drama than anyone else in all this, and even though I am still a fan, at some point enough is enough. I want Favre and all that comes with it to just go away so I can get back to remembering him for what he ought to be remembered for. But instead, he’s still closer than ever creating distraction in the wake of the process of moving on.

That is a perfect way to put it. Thompson had a plan all along. That's the first thing you want to hear coming from your GM. I'm a huge Bucks fans and post all the time on RealGM, and after reading Bucks' GM John Hammond's comments saying "We had no plan" I was baffled.

The fact that Thompson is letting all these young guys develop together and keep expanding their chemistry down the road is great. The fact that people think the Packers are in the wrong after Favre retired and gave Rodgers the reigns is what I can't stand. You can't just tell someone they have a job and immediately take the label away from them, whether you're giving the job to Brett Favre, Jon Kitna, Dikembe Mutombo, or Gandhi.

Imagine what we'd be in right now had Favre came back, probably had a very similar if not a worse season last year with Favre's wild gunslinging ways, and an unhappy Rodgers.

I am beyond glad we're in the situation we're in now.

cpk1994
05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

That is a perfect way to put it. Thompson had a plan all along. That's the first thing you want to hear coming from your GM. I'm a huge Bucks fans and post all the time on RealGM, and after reading Bucks' GM John Hammond's comments saying "We had no plan" I was baffled.

The fact that Thompson is letting all these young guys develop together and keep expanding their chemistry down the road is great. The fact that people think the Packers are in the wrong after Favre retired and gave Rodgers the reigns is what I can't stand. You can't just tell someone they have a job and immediately take the label away from them, whether you're giving the job to Brett Favre, Jon Kitna, Dikembe Mutombo, or Gandhi.

Imagine what we'd be in right now had Favre came back, probably had a very similar if not a worse season last year with Favre's wild gunslinging ways, and an unhappy Rodgers.

I am beyond glad we're in the situation we're in now.

We would have a Rodgers who would bolt at the end of this season, and then all the people who bitched at TT from not bowing to Lord Favre would be bitching at him for not having a QB at all. I agree with you in being happy about the current Qb situation.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Nice post, and welcome aboard. And it's from somebody who gets paid for his opinion.

MOBB DEEP
05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I love how people build up their own world as a survival mechanism and can ignore facts and reality in it.

If Deanna called TT she would probably be talking to the secretary for about 5 hours.

lmao.......

PackerBlues
05-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Nice post, and welcome aboard. And it's from somebody who gets paid for his opinion.
people pay for garbage like that? :bs:

MJZiggy
05-25-2009, 12:46 PM
What exactly is the problem with it?

falco
05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
How many NFC title games did your lord Mike Sherman make? I'll wait while you try to count to 0. Ted Thompson has 1. Embarassing playoff losses, destroyed depth. Cap hell. But you keep drinking the kool aid that Sherman was great, becuase reality tells a different story. Whatever fuels your agenda I guess.

Hard to lambast Sherman when his teams were competitive every single year except his last. Neither him or McCarthy won us a superbowl yet.

FlashPack
05-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Hey Blues Brett called and you need to wash his truck and pick up his dry cleaning !
Another Brett Favre is god poster.... :crazy:

FlashPack
05-25-2009, 01:24 PM

Hard to lambast Sherman when his teams were competitive every single year except his last. Neither him or McCarthy won us a superbowl yet.

It was stated in another thread so I will borrow the analogy a drunk monkey could pick talent and coach better then Mike Sherman. He has even F&^*&*&
Texas A & M.

CaptainD
05-25-2009, 01:28 PM

Awww :( :cry: Truth hurts doesn't it !

falco
05-25-2009, 01:45 PM
It was stated in another thread so I will borrow the analogy a drunk monkey could pick talent and coach better then Mike Sherman. He has even F&^*&*&
Texas A & M.

Can't argue that he was a horrible talent evaluator. But shitty coaches don't make the playoffs year after year.

pbmax
05-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Texas A & M.

Can't argue that he was a horrible talent evaluator. But shitty coaches don't make the playoffs year after year.
I don't know about that. I don't think Sherman was terrible as a coach at all, but talent goes a long way. Mike Martz, Jerry Glanville, Norv Turner and Wade Phillips have had strings of playoffs made, but that is not the Mt. Rushmore of coaching either.

Scott Campbell
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Texas A & M.

I don't know about that. I don't think Sherman was terrible as a coach at all, but talent goes a long way. Mike Martz, Jerry Glanville, Norv Turner and Wade Phillips have had strings of playoffs made, but that is not the Mt. Rushmore of coaching either.

I think Sherman tailed off as a coach. He started out ok, but then the rumors of what happened if staff members disagreed with him started to surface. He had an amazing ability to rally the troops when backs were against the wall. Without checking, I seem to remember some solidly talented teams that got off to 1-4 starts.

He seemed to have some gaping holes in his coaching skill set - Bob Slowik perhaps being the biggest.

Scott Campbell
05-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Texas A & M.

He inherited Brett Favre at close to his peak, Ahman Green at his peak, and one of the best offensive lines we've ever seen in Green Bay. I think it's borderline criminal that there was no Superbowl appearance in his tenure.

falco
05-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Texas A & M.

He inherited Brett Favre at close to his peak, Ahman Green at his peak, and one of the best offensive lines we've ever seen in Green Bay. I think it's borderline criminal that there was no Superbowl appearance in his tenure.

I agree with that. I am glad Sherman is gone, but just think he gets a little bit of an unfair rap here.

FlashPack
05-25-2009, 03:03 PM
This whole off season of Favre reminds me of a movie...have you guys seen it yet ?http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2743581613_4773d18e34_o.jpg

The Shadow
05-25-2009, 04:21 PM
This whole off season of Favre reminds me of a movie...have you guys seen it yet ?http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2743581613_4773d18e34_o.jpg :

D

Hilarious, but it's still also sad to watch a great player wind up making a fool of himself.

GrnBay007
05-25-2009, 05:03 PM
He's not making a fool of himself. The people that keep trying to make him look like a POS are the ones making a fool of themselves.

To me, Someone posting "drama queen" stuff about a HOF'er ex-Packer is more into the drama then the real world. Get a grip!

Jimx29
05-25-2009, 05:28 PM
He's not making a fool of himself. The people that keep trying to make him look like a POS are the ones making a fool of themselves.

To me, Someone posting "drama queen" stuff about a HOF'er ex-Packer is more into the drama then the real world. Get a grip!QFT

BallHawk
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM

To me, Someone posting "drama queen" stuff about a HOF'er ex-Packer is more into the drama then the real world. Get a grip!

I love Brett, but doing the "will I or won't I" stuff for 5 years, retiring, coming back, forcing a trade, retiring, coming back, not coming back, lying through his agent, then maybe coming back if surgery goes well.......that screams drama queen.

Scott Campbell
05-25-2009, 05:49 PM

I love Brett, but doing the "will I or won't I" stuff for 5 years, retiring, coming back, forcing a trade, retiring, coming back, not coming back, lying through his agent, then maybe coming back if surgery goes well.......that screams drama queen.

It hasn't been pretty. Harlan is more dignified.

Administrator
05-25-2009, 05:50 PM

I'm not so sure it screams drama queen as much as it screams indecision and too much emotion.

It disappoints me to see the former leader of my team act the way he has. Right now, it diminishes my opinion of him. I'm sure when this is all over 5 years from now, bad memories will fade, and all will be forgiven.

In the meantime, I understand those who say he's creating unnecessary drama, and chaos. I understand when people get pissed at him. I also understand loyalty, and I understand those who are sticking behind him.

I don't think there is a solution to this until Brett finds his solution. If he wants to play, and can find a team that wants him, he should be able to play. If he's playing for revenge and joining our biggest or 2nd biggest rival so he can "get even", that disappoints me.

If he just wants to play football, I can handle, and even support, that. Hopefully that can happen somewhere besides Minnesota.

MJZiggy
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I just don't see a retired (twice), injured almost 40-year old QB coming back (again) for any reason but revenge--It's not like there are rumors swirling around about Oakland or Seattle...but you're right. If there were Seattle rumors and it was truly about love of the game, I could get behind it. This Vikings crap is just foolishness.

Administrator
05-25-2009, 05:56 PM
This Vikings crap is just foolishness.

And that about sums it up. Well said.

cpk1994
05-25-2009, 06:05 PM

To me, Someone posting "drama queen" stuff about a HOF'er ex-Packer is more into the drama then the real world. Get a grip!BRett has done enough on his own to make himself look like a POS more than anyone else. The Greta interview, the Ed Werder interview.....etc.

FlashPack
05-25-2009, 06:39 PM

Get a sense of humor..I will find the link but even Favre laughed his ass off at it.( the picture) Reminder this is the master prankster your talking about....you want to honer him laugh about it.

Harlan Huckleby
05-25-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm not so sure it screams drama queen as much as it screams indecision and too much emotion.

I agree, I admire Favre's boyish passion for playing a game.

But that drama queen poster is damn funny - take that, 007.

CaptainD
05-25-2009, 07:01 PM
apparently myself and Flash have crossed the line Rats. So where out. Best of luck to you all and no matter what remember it's about the Packers and being a Green bay Packer fan.

God bless and take care.

GrnBay007
05-25-2009, 07:10 PM

It disappoints me to see the former leader of my team act the way he has. Right now, it diminishes my opinion of him. I'm sure when this is all over 5 years from now, bad memories will fade, and all will be forgiven.

In the meantime, I understand those who say he's creating unnecessary drama, and chaos. I understand when people get pissed at him. I also understand loyalty, and I understand those who are sticking behind him.

I don't think there is a solution to this until Brett finds his solution. If he wants to play, and can find a team that wants him, he should be able to play. If he's playing for revenge and joining our biggest or 2nd biggest rival so he can "get even", that disappoints me.

If he just wants to play football, I can handle, and even support, that. Hopefully that can happen somewhere besides Minnesota.

Emotion. Packer fans loved him for his emotion....and now many hate him for that same trait. Not right in my eyes.

I can't count how many times when a player left the Packers or the Packers decided not to resign someone, that I've read people posting that the NFL is a business and this is nothing other than a business decision. So last year when Favre decided he still wanted to play and the Packers decided to "move on" it was also considered a business decision and many supported TT for doing so. Why is it OK for the "business decision" to be OK for TT but not for Favre? Isn't that very hypocritical? I've read one poster here claiming him playing for the Vikings is turning his back on the fans. Well, Favre was a fan favorite and TT turned his back (so to speak) on him in order to make a business decision so why are you now offended and don't think it's right for Favre to make a business decision and continue to play? I can understand the emotional side of people not wanting to see him play somewhere else....but I can't see people bringing on all the hate toward him.

So...Favre said LAST SEASON that a part of him wanted to play for the Vikings to spite TT. And he also mentioned that was wrong of him. How can anyone say what his motives are now? (if he decides to play) You can't. Nobody knows what is driving him to play again if he decides to. I don't understand why some, knowing and stating over the years how competitive Favre is, can't believe he may just want to take another shot at a SB.......and like the media says, the Vikings are just a QB away from a shot.

I like and respect 95% of you here at PR, but DANG I'm sure you all know what a jealous, needy, rejected lover sounds like and personally many of you sound that way with your bitching about him. Let it go.

GrnBay007
05-25-2009, 07:12 PM
P.S. Admin.....I only quoted you for the Emotion part. But once I started writing I couldn't stop....lol

Harlan Huckleby
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM
apparently myself and Flash have crossed the line Rats. So where out. Best of luck to you all and no matter what remember it's about the Packers and being a Green bay Packer fan.

God bless and take care.

huh? What are you talking about, you can't leave after just 16 posts and a little scuffle. You have to cross the line at least 10 times before you consider leaving. And then you have to give a far better exit speech than that, something like, "Old Posters never die, they just fade away."

CaptainD
05-25-2009, 07:41 PM

God bless and take care.

huh? What are you talking about, you can't leave after just 16 posts and a little scuffle. You have to cross the line at least 10 times before you consider leaving. And then you have to give a far better exit speech than that, something like, "Old Posters never die, they just fade away."

Don't ask us talk with the man in charge. Where too aggressive and are starting "personal attacks" . Some thin skinned folks here.
Thanks but where going back from winch we came( waiting for applause from the Favre crowd).
Any of you guys get bored stop by the HQ forum and we will buy ya a beer have a good laugh. adios rats !

Rastak
05-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I just don't see a retired (twice), injured almost 40-year old QB coming back (again) for any reason but revenge--It's not like there are rumors swirling around about Oakland or Seattle...but you're right. If there were Seattle rumors and it was truly about love of the game, I could get behind it. This Vikings crap is just foolishness.

I have to completely disagree. Here is a team that won it's division and has a good defense and a solid running game. A team that throws the ball less than 30 times a game......why would you think it's foolishness? It's the perfect fit for the guy, from his perspective.

MJZiggy
05-25-2009, 09:08 PM

I have to completely disagree. Here is a team that won it's division and has a good defense and a solid running game. A team that throws the ball less than 30 times a game......why would you think it's foolishness? It's the perfect fit for the guy, from his perspective.

Because we both know that he's not doing it for their defense or how many throws per game. He once said he wanted to play someplace warm and he's going to Minny? Come on!! He also said flat out that he's doing it for revenge, so what's his motivation mid-November after he's played both GB-Min games?

Besides, from a Viking perspective, his performance when he's trying too hard should make you a bit more worried than intrigued...

007, deciding to go with a young, dedicated QB who appears ready to take over the reigns after your vet QB retires is a business decision. Joining the enemy team for revenge is not a business decision.

RIPackerFan
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I think Rastak is right on target here.

I truly believe that Favre thought he was done after last season - and then the Vikings came calling.

Now, if you think about it - the Vikings are the closest team to a SB without a QB. That would be enticing enough.

However - from an aging QB standpoint - he would be going to a team that has the best RB in the league - and thus, it would be a run-first, pass later game - easier on the arm. They also play in a dome - and if you look at their away games, only 2 are "cold-weather" games - another plus.

I think you add all those things together (along with getting the consecutive starts record, along with placing more distance between himself and Manning, and I think you have an option that anyone would think twice about.

And this isn't even taking into account sticking it to TT - which, I do believe it still a little bit of a factor (though not the main one -like others in this forum believe).

While it is the Vikings, which makes me ill, I personally don't think that Farve owes the Packers anything. Regardless of whose fault the split was - the split was irreversible - and once he was gone - he is a free agent - its just the business.

th87
05-25-2009, 11:50 PM

I truly believe that Favre thought he was done after last season - and then the Vikings came calling.

Maybe, but why would he ask for his release twice then?

Patler
05-26-2009, 12:45 AM

Maybe...but I doubt it. He "retired" then requested a release. Retired players normally are not released, and normally don't request a release. They are simply moved to the retired list. Favre manipulated the Jets to get what he wanted last season, but couldn't force the Packers to give him, his outright release.

I think this has been brewing in Favre for a long time. Remember, he briefly asked to be traded after the 2006 season, according to the Biloxi newspaper.

My gut feeling from all that has happened in the last four years or so is that Favre has wanted out of GB for at least that long. I think both retirements were shams. I think he intended to continue his career after both, just not with the teams he "retired" from. His goal has been to play a few more years someplace other than GB, and now other than the Jets, too.

It may be a year too late for him though, depending on his shoulder.

cpk1994
05-26-2009, 07:32 AM

Now, if you think about it - the Vikings are the closest team to a SB without a QB. That would be enticing enough.

However - from an aging QB standpoint - he would be going to a team that has the best RB in the league - and thus, it would be a run-first, pass later game - easier on the arm. They also play in a dome - and if you look at their away games, only 2 are "cold-weather" games - another plus.

I think you add all those things together (along with getting the consecutive starts record, along with placing more distance between himself and Manning, and I think you have an option that anyone would think twice about.

And this isn't even taking into account sticking it to TT - which, I do believe it still a little bit of a factor (though not the main one -like others in this forum believe).

While it is the Vikings, which makes me ill, I personally don't think that Favre owes the Packers anything. Regardless of whose fault the split was - the split was irreversible - and once he was gone - he is a free agent - its just the business.And the Packers wouldn't expect anything from him. TT did his job and made sure that he didn't improve another team in his division while he had an unproven, at the time, replacement.

Fritz
05-26-2009, 07:32 AM
I asked a question about retirement and being released last week or so, and got my answer as to the differences and implications. Having learned about these two concepts, I must agree with Patler - one does not ask for a release if one is simply retired except for one of two reasons: so one can then be signed to a one-day contract and then "retire" as a member of a certain team, or so one can seek employment with another team.

There is little question which reason is Favre's.

I do wonder why he wanted to be traded after 2006. Didn't think the team was "ready" to compete? If that was so, then why retire after the 13-3 season of '07? It seems that possibly he just wanted to go play somewhere else. Not sure why.

cpk1994
05-26-2009, 07:34 AM
I asked a question about retirement and being released last week or so, and got my answer as to the differences and implications. Having learned about these two concepts, I must agree with Patler - one does not ask for a release if one is simply retired except for one of two reasons: so one can then be signed to a one-day contract and then "retire" as a member of a certain team, or so one can seek employment with another team.

There is little question which reason is Favre's.

I do wonder why he wanted to be traded after 2006. Didn't think the team was "ready" to compete? If that was so, then why retire after the 13-3 season of '07? It seems that possibly he just wanted to go play somewhere else. Not sure why.Could also be that Favre couldn't stand the fact that he couldn't walk all over Mike McCarthy like he could Mike Sherman.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 07:48 AM

Maybe...but I doubt it. He "retired" then requested a release. Retired players normally are not released, and normally don't request a release. They are simply moved to the retired list. Favre manipulated the Jets to get what he wanted last season, but couldn't force the Packers to give him, his outright release.

I think this has been brewing in Favre for a long time. Remember, he briefly asked to be traded after the 2006 season, according to the Biloxi newspaper.

My gut feeling from all that has happened in the last four years or so is that Favre has wanted out of GB for at least that long. I think both retirements were shams. I think he intended to continue his career after both, just not with the teams he "retired" from. His goal has been to play a few more years someplace other than GB, and now other than the Jets, too.

It may be a year too late for him though, depending on his shoulder.

I've had my suspicions about this as well. The real eye opener was the talk about un-retirement from last March. When he found out the Packers would welcome him back with open arms at that point, he quickly flopped back into the "no, I'm not coming back" position. And he told Ted, "don't bother coming by on your way to Florida". He wouldn't commit to un-retiring until after the Packers had fully committed to Rodgers for the 08 season.

I think the whole thing may have been carefully orchestrated by Bus Cook.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 07:56 AM
I do wonder why he wanted to be traded after 2006. Didn't think the team was "ready" to compete? If that was so, then why retire after the 13-3 season of '07? It seems that possibly he just wanted to go play somewhere else. Not sure why.

My theory is that his front office "advice" could have been rebuffed by Ted. The Randy Moss advice was public, but there may have been more private advice given prior to that. That might also help explain his bitterness towards Ted.

gex
05-26-2009, 08:22 AM

While it is the Vikings, which makes me ill, I personally don't think that Favre owes the Packers anything. Regardless of whose fault the split was - the split was irreversible - and once he was gone - he is a free agent - its just the business.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

cpk1994
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM

My theory is that his front office "advice" could have been rebuffed by Ted. The Randy Moss advice was public, but there may have been more private advice given prior to that. That might also help explain his bitterness towards Ted.Remember there wa also Steve Mariucci not being considered, and aslo Brett's threat to retire if Mike Sherman was canned. It certainly adds credence to your theory.

RIPackerFan
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Wow - there are a lot of people who think that Favre orchestrated all this. While a good conspiracy theory - my thinking on Favre is that he acts like he plays - just wings it.

I will agree that he was not happy with TT since he got here. Favre didn't like the slow and steady approach TT was taking, especially since it was slow and steady with rebuilding - and Favre knew he didn't have that much time. Combine that with a true "business approach", i.e. regardless of what Favre has done for the team, TT would not make any concessions for him, probably hurt his ego and contributed to ill-feelings.

At the end of his final year, I think TT and MM were sick of Favre's antics - knew they had a starter in Rogers - and told Favre they needed to plan for next year and needed to know whether he was going to come back. Favre didn't know at that time - and was probably pissed on being pushed so he retired. I am sure he thought he could come back right before training camp and all would be forgiven - but it wasn't.

At that time, he was so pissed, all he wanted to to was get back at TT - except TT held all the strings - so basically TT sent him to a poor, non-conference team - and I am sure Favre was not happy about that, but after bitching about wanting to play - he couldn't just say no.

This last year was probably very tough on Favre - he finally had an injury he couldn't play through - he had a huge learning curve with the offense - and he didn't have the foundation with the team.

After last year, I don't think that he felt he could do it again. Thus, the retirement.

Personally, I think the release was Bus Cook's doing. Bus saw another payday - and knew that if Favre had the option and could, would probably play for the Vikings.

However, if you truly believe that Favre orchestrated this - why hasn't he signed yet with the Vikings? I personally believe that Favre has not signed with the Vikings because of his shoulder. It is probably pretty bad and he wants to make sure it is good before he signs up. This is the biggest reasons why I don't think he asked for his release - why do so when you don't even know if you can play?

Just my thoughts.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Wow - there are a lot of people who think that Favre orchestrated all this. While a good conspiracy theory - my thinking on Favre is that he acts like he plays - just wings it.

If it were just Favre, I'd agree with you. But when you add Bus Cook into the mix, then that opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. Bus has been the man behind the 3 ugliest QB divorces from teams in recent years - McNair in TN, Favre in GB, and Cutler in Denver. If I'm a QB looking to get out of town, I sure as hell know who I'm going to call.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 09:26 AM
However, if you truly believe that Favre orchestrated this - why hasn't he signed yet with the Vikings?

Maybe he really doesn't want to play, but wants to send Ted one more FU on the way out.

Except I don't think Ted cares anymore.

cpk1994
05-26-2009, 09:31 AM
However, if you truly believe that Favre orchestrated this - why hasn't he signed yet with the Vikings?Becuase Brett has this unending need to be wanted. He wants Childress to come down to Hattieburg and fellate him. Kiss his ass. Whatever it takes. REmember, he had a problem with TT and M3 supposedly not doing this.

Patler
05-26-2009, 09:45 AM

I will agree that he was not happy with TT since he got here. Favre didn't like the slow and steady approach TT was taking, especially since it was slow and steady with rebuilding - and Favre knew he didn't have that much time. Combine that with a true "business approach", i.e. regardless of what Favre has done for the team, TT would not make any concessions for him, probably hurt his ego and contributed to ill-feelings.

At the end of his final year, I think TT and MM were sick of Favre's antics - knew they had a starter in Rogers - and told Favre they needed to plan for next year and needed to know whether he was going to come back. Favre didn't know at that time - and was probably pissed on being pushed so he retired. I am sure he thought he could come back right before training camp and all would be forgiven - but it wasn't.

At that time, he was so pissed, all he wanted to to was get back at TT - except TT held all the strings - so basically TT sent him to a poor, non-conference team - and I am sure Favre was not happy about that, but after bitching about wanting to play - he couldn't just say no.

This last year was probably very tough on Favre - he finally had an injury he couldn't play through - he had a huge learning curve with the offense - and he didn't have the foundation with the team.

After last year, I don't think that he felt he could do it again. Thus, the retirement.

Personally, I think the release was Bus Cook's doing. Bus saw another payday - and knew that if Favre had the option and could, would probably play for the Vikings.

However, if you truly believe that Favre orchestrated this - why hasn't he signed yet with the Vikings? I personally believe that Favre has not signed with the Vikings because of his shoulder. It is probably pretty bad and he wants to make sure it is good before he signs up. This is the biggest reasons why I don't think he asked for his release - why do so when you don't even know if you can play?

Just my thoughts.

I agree with Scott, Bus Cook is the one who orchestrated this. When referring to a player in team relationships, it goes without saying that his various advisers are also involved, some more than others. But if he is worth his salt, its all done to carry out the wishes of his client. Favre wanted out, Cook devised the plans to accomplish it.

Why hasn't Favre signed with the Vikings? Because he doesn't know if he can play or not; but I still think his intention has been to continue playing if he can, he just didn't want to do so again with the Jets. Thus, the "retirement" and a request for his release. If he didn't intend to play again if he could, why did he even ask for his release so soon after retiring? Some reports said he asked for it even before he retired.

I don't understand your statement that I highlighted. Are you suggesting that he didn't ask for a release from the Jets? I don't think there is any doubt about that, is there?

RIPackerFan
05-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I think that Bus was behind it - not Favre - that was my thought.

Bus told Favre he would ask for his release - just in case - knowing that the Vikings would come a knocking and pique Favre's interest.

I don't necessarily disagree that Favre would not play for the Jets again - I think last year, he played because he was pissed at TT - and after that anger subsided after the season, he realized that the Jets were pretty far away from a SB and I don't think he's playing again unless there is a serious shot for a title.

ThunderDan
05-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Bus told Favre he would ask for his release - just in case - knowing that the Vikings would come a knocking and pique Favre's interest.

I don't necessarily disagree that Favre would not play for the Jets again - I think last year, he played because he was pissed at TT - and after that anger subsided after the season, he realized that the Jets were pretty far away from a SB and I don't think he's playing again unless there is a serious shot for a title.

How were the Jets far away from the SB last year? They were 8-3, one of the top temas in the AFC and had beaten the undefeated Titans. To me that sounds pretty damn close to a SB caliber team.

Patler
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM

I don't think Cook would have done anything unless Favre floated the idea of wanting to play. It would have originated with Favre saying something like, "I want to play again, if I can, but not for the Jets." To which Cook would have replied, "OK, this is what we will do......" I think the goal was Favre's, the procedure was Cook's.

RIPackerFan
05-26-2009, 11:05 AM
ThunderDan - We'll see how close the Jets really are. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the Jets are closer to an 8-8 team than a SB team. We'll see how they do this year.

Patler - I don't think we are that far off from each other - I don't think Favre was like - "I want to play again" - but I could see a conversation with Bus in which Bus asked Favre if he would play again - and Favre saying "Not for the Jets, but maybe I would play for another team if my arm was better and I thought they would go far" - and Bus saying - "I'll get your release just in case".

I don't know.....if Favre really did all this to play for the Vikings - then why is it taking so long to sign with them? Don't tell me its because he wants to miss OTA, etc. - there is no doubt in my mind that the Vikings would let him skip them.

Patler
05-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know.....if Favre really did all this to play for the Vikings - then why is it taking so long to sign with them? Don't tell me its because he wants to miss OTA, etc. - there is no doubt in my mind that the Vikings would let him skip them.

I've said before, because of his arm. I think he wants to play, and he wants to play for the Vikings, but he isn't going to sign until he knows the arm is OK because he doesn't want to play the way he did at the end of '08. It might even be the Vikings who want to be sure of the arm. Why create a further QB controversy by signing a guy to be the starter, only to find out he can't throw and then have to go back to the guys you essential told weren't good enough?

Besides, I'm not so sure the Vikings would be all that accommodating to Favre for skipping all the off season stuff if he was actually signed. I sure wouldn't be for a new QB expected to take on a leadership role and be the starter.

Zool
05-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Why create a further QB controversy by signing a guy to be the starter, only to find out he can't throw and then have to go back to the guys you essential told weren't good enough?

Didnt they pretty much do this already?

sharpe1027
05-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I've said before, because of his arm. I think he wants to play, and he wants to play for the Vikings, but he isn't going to sign until he knows the arm is OK because he doesn't want to play the way he did at the end of '08. It might even be the Vikings who want to be sure of the arm. Why create a further QB controversy by signing a guy to be the starter, only to find out he can't throw and then have to go back to the guys you essential told weren't good enough?

Besides, I'm not so sure the Vikings would be all that accommodating to Favre for skipping all the off season stuff if he was actually signed. I sure wouldn't be for a new QB expected to take on a leadership role and be the starter.

Neither Favre nor the Vikings have motivation to sign while his shoulder is a question mark. The Vikings wouldn't pony up huge money for a guy that may not play a down and Favre would not want to sign for peanuts and then play a full season. IMO, there is no reason for either side to rush into it even if they both are otherwise sure of what they want.

cpk1994
05-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Why create a further QB controversy by signing a guy to be the starter, only to find out he can't throw and then have to go back to the guys you essential told weren't good enough?

Didnt they pretty much do this already?Yes, and judging by the tone of Sage's "No comment" on the situation", he is a pissed off guy.

RashanGary
05-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Favre is a cancer at this point in his career. At least he's not our cancer. I hope he plays for the Vikings both for competitive reasons and for entertainment value. It's the best situation for a QB, but all it will end up doing is proving that Favre cant' cut it, even in the best situation.

RIPackerFan
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
As a Packer fan - I would much rather see Sage or T-Jack at QB for the Vikings than Favre. I'm not willing to bet the Ws that Favre will fold this year if he plays.

Patler
05-26-2009, 12:43 PM

Didnt they pretty much do this already?Yes, and judging by the tone of Sage's "No comment" on the situation", he is a pissed off guy.

Sure, but if they never sign Favre they can tell SR and TJ that they thought about it, but were never as serious about it as the media implied, and in the end decided to stick with what they had. If they sign Favre, then he craps out in TC with a bad arm, they can never tell either SR or TJ that they really like them to be their starter. You, me and even the players involved may know the real reasons, but the egos of pro athletes are funny. They are easily hurt and sometimes easily bolstered.

Heck, Favre had talked about retiring for years, had no reason to fear for his job at the time, yet still was insulted when the Packers drafted Rodgers.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 01:32 PM
You, me and even the players involved may know the real reasons, but the egos of pro athletes are funny. They are easily hurt and sometimes easily bolstered.

True, but I totally get it. Careers are extrodinarily short, and it's a what have you done for me lately business. I think most of us would be subject to some hurt feelings in similar circumstances.

mraynrand
05-26-2009, 02:07 PM
After that Colts loss, I would think that Sage couldn't have any ego left.

cpk1994
05-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Sure, but if they never sign Favre they can tell SR and TJ that they thought about it, but were never as serious about it as the media implied, and in the end decided to stick with what they had. If they sign Favre, then he craps out in TC with a bad arm, they can never tell either SR or TJ that they really like them to be their starter. You, me and even the players involved may know the real reasons, but the egos of pro athletes are funny. They are easily hurt and sometimes easily bolstered.

Heck, Favre had talked about retiring for years, had no reason to fear for his job at the time, yet still was insulted when the Packers drafted Rodgers.But that still probably won't be enough to smmoth over things with Sage as he was traded for. Sage comes into Minnesota given a chance to compete for the job only to be implied to by lloking at Favre, "we know what we said but you still suck, so forget what we said." I think Childress has done some damage that can't be reparied in this whole Favre mess.

Fritz
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
You, me and even the players involved may know the real reasons, but the egos of pro athletes are funny. They are easily hurt and sometimes easily bolstered.

True, but I totally get it. Careers are extrodinarily short, and it's a what have you done for me lately business. I think most of us would be subject to some hurt feelings in similar circumstances.

Feelings . . . nothing more than feelings . . .

Feeeee - lings! Whoa-oh-oh, feeee - lings!

mngolf19
05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
If you've never been the "man", why would you have a hurt ego? Rosenfels was promised nothing more than the chance to compete. And he got a new contract for 9 mil. Also, if Favre signs he will still be a Viking while Jackson will be released. Doubt this is that big a deal to him. Besides he probably figures Favre to be a 1yr patch at best.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
If you've never been the "man", why would you have a hurt ego? Rosenfels was promised nothing more than the chance to compete. And he got a new contract for 9 mil. Also, if Favre signs he will still be a Viking while Jackson will be released. Doubt this is that big a deal to him. Besides he probably figures Favre to be a 1yr patch at best.

I'll agree. Rosenfels hasn't been good enough yet to have that kind of ego.

GrnBay007
05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Favre is a cancer at this point in his career.

Really? How do you define "cancer"? Any ex-Packer you are pissed off at?

:roll:

falco
05-26-2009, 09:16 PM

Really? How do you define "cancer"? Any ex-Packer you are pissed off at?

:roll:

somehow i think the definition goes a little deeper than that

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 09:49 PM

Really? How do you define "cancer"?

I'll defer to Thomas Jones.

Bretsky
05-26-2009, 09:55 PM

You trusting a guy the Bears decdied to Jettison for Cedrick Benson ? :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

He's the Jets MVP. He played with the guy for a year and I think it's fair to say that he knows him better than you, or anyone else on this board. So yes, I would.

MOBB DEEP
05-29-2009, 02:15 AM
AMAZN how ther are so many favre threads here!

RashanGary
05-29-2009, 06:25 AM

And after your, "It's just another football team" rant pertaining to the Vikings, I don't think you have much leg to stand on with any future Bear hating ;)

cpk1994
05-29-2009, 09:16 AM
If you've never been the "man", why would you have a hurt ego? Rosenfels was promised nothing more than the chance to compete. And he got a new contract for 9 mil. Also, if Favre signs he will still be a Viking while Jackson will be released. Doubt this is that big a deal to him. Besides he probably figures Favre to be a 1yr patch at best.But if Favre is signed, he has no shot to compete. Has nothing to do with being the man. It has to do with being promised something than having that promise taken away almost immediately.