PDA

View Full Version : Favre to stay RETIRED. Per Yahoo sports.

gbpackfan
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-favre050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Discuss....

pasquale
05-07-2009, 02:33 PM
i'd love to believe it, but...well...you know

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
i'd love to believe it, but...well...you knowExept this time, he told the Vikings no. If the case, the Vikings aren't going to go down that road if he changes his mind again.

BlueBrewer
05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
The source is Trent Dilfer's cell phone :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Let's hope it's true. If it's true, I personally can get over the ugly divorce of last year. Not that Brett or the Packers care. If it is true, then let's make amends by getting Brett's number retired against the Vikings at Lambeau this year.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Let's hope it's true. If it's true, I personally can get over the ugly divorce of last year. Not that Brett or the Packers care. If it is true, then let's make amends by getting Brett's number retired against the Vikings at Lambeau this year.If he stays retired this time, I don't think his number will be retired this year. I think Brett has too much resentment of TT yet. Not impossible, but unlikely imo.

BlueBrewer
05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Let's hope it's true. If it's true, I personally can get over the ugly divorce of last year. Not that Brett or the Packers care. If it is true, then let's make amends by getting Brett's number retired against the Vikings at Lambeau this year.

He just can't get enough of being wanted, it all goes back to his Dad never telling him that he loved him.

pasquale
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM

i agree. i'm over last year, but this would just open up a can of worms playing for the vikes. i do hope he does get the respect he deserves as a player as well as him getting over TT's decision.

i'd love to see that number 4 up there with the rest of them and wouldn't think twice about it if this crap ended today (or soon).

Little Whiskey
05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I'll believe it only when next year comes to an end. Until then, I'm not convinced.

Partial
05-07-2009, 02:59 PM
How can the Vikes not throw some serious ching his way in order to get this done? Big time error in judgement imo. The window of opportunity is short.

BlueBrewer
05-07-2009, 03:02 PM
How can the Vikes not throw some serious ching his way in order to get this done? Big time error in judgement imo. The window of opportunity is short.

They don't need him, Harvin is going to run the wildcat and throw to himself.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
We may be getting ahead of ourselves. Un-retiring season doesn't officially open until August.

pasquale
05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
favre wants a 3 year contract and they can't give it to him since they won't be there! HA!

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 03:04 PM

You sound really disappointed that you're not going to see Brett in purple.

Sparkey
05-07-2009, 03:10 PM

He was going to dress up his Barney with a Viking helmet and #4 jersey... Wouldn't you be disappointed if all those grand plans went to waste ? :lol:

gbgary
05-07-2009, 03:10 PM
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

BlueBrewer
05-07-2009, 03:11 PM

He was going to dress up his Barney with a Viking helmet and #4 jersey... Wouldn't you be disappointed if all those grand plans went to waste ? :lol:

Sparkey what is your avatar? I have always wondered.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM

1. They have seen his diva act for the last 2 seasons.

2. They saw Mangini get fired in part, some say becuase of Favre.

Gee I wonder why Childress isn't that interested. :roll:

hoosier
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM

I can't deny it, while I find the thought of Favre in a Vikings uniform apalling, I also found myself really starting to look forward to November 1st. If it doesn't happen now, that date is going to be totally anticlimactic.

gobias
05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I sure hope this is true. To repeat what others have said, i can get over what happened last year, but if he came back for the Vikes I don't think I would ever see him the same way again.

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Childress WAS interested. Favre turned him down. At least that's the story being reported right now anyway.

Lurker64
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM
If this is true, good for you Brett. I hope this is true and stays true.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I can't deny it, while I find the thought of Favre in a Vikings uniform apalling, I also found myself really starting to look forward to November 1st. If it doesn't happen now, that date is going to be totally anticlimactic.

How much do we really need to get up for a Viking game?

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM

How much do we really need to get up for a Viking game?

Well said.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Childress WAS interested. Favre turned him down. At least that's the story being reported right now anyway.WEll, that leaves one question, if Childress was really interested, why did he not go to Hattiesburg?

My guess is Childress wasn't that interested but kind of made an obligatory inquiry.

Pacopete4
05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
If this is true it's only sadening that I'll never get to watch him play anymore.. Say what you want but he was the best player I'll ever watch when you take every aspect into it

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Childress WAS interested. Favre turned him down. At least that's the story being reported right now anyway.WEll, that leaves one question, if Childress was really interested, why did he not go to Hattiesburg?

My guess is Childress wasn't that interested but kind of made an obligatory inquiry.

Well he walked into the Vikings HQ this morning at 7am. He went to work. Probably explains why he was in Minnesota this morning. Who first reported the story that they were meeting today in the first place? Ask him what happened.

Favre wouldn't have needed to phone the Vikings to tell them he wasn't interested in the job if the Vikings hadn't told him they were thinking of offering him a job. I'm pretty sure Childress was fairly interested in having Favre under center.

BlueBrewer
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
If this is true it's only sadening that I'll never get to watch him play anymore.. Say what you want but he was the best player I'll ever watch when you take every aspect into it

I agree, but he is not that player anymore and I think it would be sad to see him stay too long, especially in it was in purple.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Well, I'm 38. I think Favre is in the top 5-6 QBs of all-time, but he's not the best player I've watched in my lifetime. The only thing that is sad that this didn't happen last year, but if it's true, I can look past last year.

Stevogbfan
05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
just twirl your pointed finger to the sky and say "i'm gone"
good job brett, i think irv would be happy to here this too!

now maybe the packers can retire this man's number proudly!

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Well he walked into the Vikings HQ this morning at 7am. He went to work. Probably explains why he was in Minnesota this morning. Who first reported the story that they were meeting today in the first place? Ask him what happened.

Favre wouldn't have needed to phone the Vikings to tell them he wasn't interested in the job if the Vikings hadn't told him they were thinking of offering him a job. I'm pretty sure Childress was fairly interested in having Favre under center.I didn't say he wasn't interested at all. I just don't think he was real interested. Favre could have thought that Childress was real interested, hence the phone call.

The station that filmed CHildress this morning is now confirming the report:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/sports/Brett_Favre_To_Stay_retired_May_7_2009

I think Childress handled this very poorly. It had to be an all or nothing move. EIther say no from the start, or put an all out blitz on Favre. Now he is stuck with having try to tell Sage "You are my guy" after his actions clearly showed he didn't think Sage was that at all.

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Ever is a long time. There will be other great QB's here in Green Bay's future. Maybe he's on our roster right now, maybe not. But Favre isn't going to be the last great Packer QB you'll ever see. Bart Starr was the best Packer QB anybody would ever see once too. Have faith.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 03:41 PM

Well, I'm 38. I think Favre is in the top 5-6 QBs of all-time, but he's not the best player I've watched in my lifetime. The only thing that is sad that this didn't happen last year, but if it's true, I can look past last year.He is not the best player I have ever watched in my lifetime either.Top 5-6 of all time? Absolutely.

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I think Childress handled this very poorly. It had to be an all or nothing move. EIther say no from the start, or put an all out blitz on Favre. Now he is stuck with having try to tell Sage "You are my guy" after his actions clearly showed he didn't think Sage was that at all.

He could trade Sage to the Redskins for Jason Campbell and everyone's happy. Even me. :lol:

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 03:57 PM

He could trade Sage to the Redskins for Jason Campbell and everyone's happy. Even me. :lol:I don't think Dan Snyder is THAT dumb. Then again, his track record says otherwise. :lol:

PackerBlues
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Thompson must have come up with a white haired Baboon. :smk:

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 04:04 PM

It took us all summer to deal with this crap last year. If the Vikings get to cut bait after 48 hours, I'd consider them fortunate.

BF4MVP
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
That pretty much sums up my stance on it..

That'd be sweet to retire his number this year. I don't know if it will happen, but if it did it'd be awesome...

Good choice, Brett.

falco
05-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Favre does not want to attend minicamps. He will work out with a personal trainer and a QB coach at home until training camp starts, then he will heady to minny. You heard it here first!

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2009, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't assume this is the end of it just yet.

falco
05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Favre does not want to attend minicamps. He will work out with a personal trainer and a QB coach at home until training camp starts, then he will heady to minny. You heard it here first!

falco has spoken

Rastak
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Completely disagree. If the dude doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play. No "all out blitz" is going to change that. Chilly was quite up front. He said he'd likely talk to him to see if he had any interest. Sage has been promised NOTHING to this point. He has nothing to explain unless he publicly offered Favre the starters job with no competition. Sage was told you'll have a fair shot to win the starters job....and that's what he's got. He was interviewed earlier this week and indicated he could care less about the Favre stuff. He said he needs to worry about getting himself ready and nothing else.

On a final note, part of me is dissapointed because of all the fun storylines that would have ensued. But from a football standpoint, I think it worked out for the best.

falco
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Completely disagree. If the dude doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play. No "all out blitz" is going to change that. Chilly was quite up front. He said he'd likely talk to him to see if he had any interest. Sage has been promised NOTHING to this point. He has nothing to explain unless he publicly offered Favre the starters job with no competition. Sage was told you'll have a fair shot to win the starters job....and that's what he's got. He was interviewed earlier this week and indicated he could care less about the Favre stuff. He said he needs to worry about getting himself ready and nothing else.

On a final note, part of me is dissapointed because of all the fun storylines that would have ensued. But from a football standpoint, I think it worked out for the best.

I agree with you 99% - both about Sage and about Favre. I think Favre vs Rodgers/Thompson/Packers was going to be THE pre-eminent storyline in the NFL this year. However, I also believe that if Favre committed himself 100%, got in shape, attended all the mini-camps, etc - that he could be the difference between the vikings losing in the first round of the playoffs and going to the superbowl. I think Rodgers > Cutler (I'm a homer) > Favre, but I think Favre (100% committed) > Jackson/Rosenfels, and I think a 100% committed Favre + the rest of the vikings team would have to be the favorites in the NFC.

Just my 2 cents.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2009, 04:31 PM
falco has spoken

What falco says could be true, but then I don't think we'd see Brett at his best (nutz disagrees that offseason work is needed).

falco
05-07-2009, 04:32 PM
falco has spoken

What falco says could be true, but then I don't think we'd see Brett at his best (nutz disagrees that offseason work is needed).

Agree completely.

rbaloha1
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
This is far from over. Typical BF was testing Minny's love and commitment.

As reported Spielman brought in the high priced Sage and is committed to him Childress is such a weasel its difficult to gauge who he truly wants to be the starter.

If both Minny qbs ahe lousy preseasons expect Favre to be summoned.

falco
05-07-2009, 04:38 PM

As reported Spielman brought in the high priced Sage and is committed to him Childress is such a weasel its difficult to gauge who he truly wants to be the starter.

Two more thoughts from Falco.

#1) Its not about the money - although Favre will certainly milk every dime from them, I have to believe he'd play for the Vets minimum if thats all he could get. I think its strictly about wanting to come and play on his terms/timeline.

#2) There is no other place for Favre to go but Minny. They are the only team to have such a stocked offense but still have Favre be an improvement. I can't imagine him going anywhere else.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I can't imagine him going anywhere else.

Denver.

sheepshead
05-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Denver.

Washington

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
#2) There is no other place for Favre to go but Minny. They are the only team to have such a stocked offense but still have Favre be an improvement. I can't imagine him going anywhere else.

Washington Redskins maybe. Pretty good set of WR's, an exceptional RB, an owner who has a predisposition to buy up aging talent, and a quarterback who feels slighted for having been named as trade bait twice. I could see him playing for the Skins if he really wanted to.

bbbffl66
05-07-2009, 04:46 PM

I agree with you 99% - both about Sage and about Favre. I think Favre vs Rodgers/Thompson/Packers was going to be THE pre-eminent storyline in the NFL this year. However, I also believe that if Favre committed himself 100%, got in shape, attended all the mini-camps, etc - that he could be the difference between the vikings losing in the first round of the playoffs and going to the superbowl. I think Rodgers > Cutler (I'm a homer) > Favre, but I think Favre (100% committed) > Jackson/Rosenfels, and I think a 100% committed Favre + the rest of the vikings team would have to be the favorites in the NFC.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, look at the record of Brett before the injury. 25-6 in the 31 games prior to the arm. What makes Cutler better than that unless the bicep hasn't healed? Or for that matter ARod? That said, I'm happy he's apparently done. Too much of a circus, too much division among Packer fans!

falco
05-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Denver.

Maybe, but their defense sucks and their administration seems to be in a disarray.

Rastak
05-07-2009, 04:47 PM

High priced Sage? Commited to him? What have you been smoking?

You might want to review your facts dude.

falco
05-07-2009, 04:48 PM
What makes Cutler better than that unless the bicep hasn't healed? Or for that matter ARod?

Just my opinion man.

Rastak
05-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Denver.

Maybe, but their defense sucks and their administration seems to be in a disarray.

That would be a horrible fit. He needs to limit his throws and with that kind of defense he'd have to wing it all day long.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 04:51 PM

I guess it's safe to release Rastak from protective custody now.

Cheesehead Craig
05-07-2009, 04:51 PM
:laugh:

bbbffl66
05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
What makes Cutler better than that unless the bicep hasn't healed? Or for that matter ARod?

Just my opinion man.

fair enough!

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM

On a final note, part of me is dissapointed because of all the fun storylines that would have ensued. But from a football standpoint, I think it worked out for the best.I'd agree with you if not for the fact that they just TRADED FOR Sage. Traded is the key word. Its not like he was playing for the Vikes last year and didn't play to expectations. You just brought in a guy to compete with the job only to pull out the rug rom him becuase if Favre signed, Sage has no shot. You are basically telling Sage, "We know we traded for you, but you still suck, so we are going to bring someone else in and automatically give them the job." It was a huge mistake on Childress part.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:05 PM

You might want to review your facts dude.You don't trade for a QB unless you are planning to make him your starter.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
]You don't trade for a QB unless you are planning to make him your starter.

Really? QB is a position where depth is irrelevant?

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:10 PM

Really? QB is a position where depth is irrelevant?IF the QB you are trading for is a career 3rd stringer, then yes that is for depth. But when you bring in a Qb who has been a starter, usually that means you want him to be your starter.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Really? QB is a position where depth is irrelevant?IF the QB you are trading for is a career 3rd stringer, then yes that is for depth. But when you bring in a Qb who has been a starter, usually that means you want him to be your starter.

Someone should tell Jon Gruden then.

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 05:11 PM

It could also mean you want to add more competition for the job. A career 3rd stringer isn't going to push Tavaris Jackson for the starting job. Sage will.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:12 PM

And the Chicago Bears...

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Someone should tell Jon Gruden then.THere is a reason he isn't coaching....

falco
05-07-2009, 05:15 PM
THere is a reason he isn't coaching....

:roll:

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:15 PM

And the Chicago Bears...Umm Jay Cutler is going to be their starter. Thanks for proving my point.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM

And the Chicago Bears...Umm Jay Cutler is going to be their starter. Thanks for proving my point.

Right.....except when Rex Grossman was their starter, they traded for Brian Griese (who had been a starter), to back him and/or compete for the QB job. Thanks for being a cock.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM

:roll:roll your eyes if you must, but having a carosuel at the most important postion on the team usually ends up getting the coach fired.

Gunakor

Gruden was just the coach. McKay is the GM, and he was the one who made the trade. Gruden wasn't the one who made the trade, and that trade isn't the reason he's not coaching anymore. Neither example is very good IMO.

falco
Childress on Rosenfels:

"We need to put somebody in place that will push [Jackson] and compete with him, and I think competition is the nature of the game," Childress told reporters at the NFL combine last week in Indianapolis. "At some places it may not be ... [but] in our situation, we need to have a good, healthy competition because I think that makes everybody better."

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Right.....except when Rex Grossman was their starter, they traded for Brian Griese (who had been a starter), to back him and/or compete for the QB job. Thanks for being a cock.I think they wanted him to be the starter, but blew enough that Rex was the option even though he stunk as well.

Rastak
05-07-2009, 05:20 PM

On a final note, part of me is dissapointed because of all the fun storylines that would have ensued. But from a football standpoint, I think it worked out for the best.I'd agree with you if not for the fact that they just TRADED FOR Sage. Traded is the key word. Its not like he was playing for the Vikes last year and didn't play to expectations. You just brought in a guy to compete with the job only to pull out the rug rom him becuase if Favre signed, Sage has no shot. You are basically telling Sage, "We know we traded for you, but you still suck, so we are going to bring someone else in and automatically give them the job." It was a huge mistake on Childress part.

I'd buy your argument but they also TRADED for Kelly Holcom and Brooks Bollinger. TRADING means NOTHING unless you just coughed up a bunch of high picks....or maybe even one for that matter. He was never told he was the starter, in fact, rumor is Jackson has the edge due to age and mobility. I think Rosnefelds will win the job but this Favre non-meeting means nothing.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Gruden was just the coach. McKay is the GM, and he was the one who made the trade. Gruden wasn't the one who made the trade, and that trade isn't the reason he's not coaching anymore. Neither example is very good IMO.

Fine then, tell Rich McKay. Either way, the bucs continually traded for former starting QBs to add their roster.

Rastak
05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

"We need to put somebody in place that will push [Jackson] and compete with him, and I think competition is the nature of the game," Childress told reporters at the NFL combine last week in Indianapolis. "At some places it may not be ... [but] in our situation, we need to have a good, healthy competition because I think that makes everybody better."

And your quote is common knowledge so I have no idea where all the Sage is the starter shit comes from.

falco

:roll:roll your eyes if you must, but having a carosuel at the most important postion on the team usually ends up getting the coach fired.

There is a difference between having a "carosuel" at QB and continually adding depth and inviting competition at the position.

falco
Childress on Rosenfels:

And your quote is common knowledge so I have no idea where all the Sage is the starter shit comes from.

Well, knowledge and some of the posters on this board don't go hand in hand.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Gruden was just the coach. McKay is the GM, and he was the one who made the trade. Gruden wasn't the one who made the trade, and that trade isn't the reason he's not coaching anymore. Neither example is very good IMO.Yes, but Gruden was the one who couldn't decide on a QB.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Gruden was just the coach. McKay is the GM, and he was the one who made the trade. Gruden wasn't the one who made the trade, and that trade isn't the reason he's not coaching anymore. Neither example is very good IMO.Yes, but Gruden was the one who couldn't decide on a QB.

Dude, who gives a shit? My point is that you just got done saying you don't trade for a QB unless he is going to start, and I'm just telling you that it was an idiotic remark.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

And your quote is common knowledge so I have no idea where all the Sage is the starter shit comes from.Of course Childresss would say that. It isn't a slam dunk that Sage could beat Jackson out. He can still want Sage as his starter. If Sage blows in preseason it will be easire to hand the job to Jackson than if he handed the job to Sage and said publicly "Sage is my guy".

Rastak
05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

And your quote is common knowledge so I have no idea where all the Sage is the starter shit comes from.Of course Childresss would say that. It isn't a slam dunk that Sage could beat Jackson out. He can still want Sage as his starter. If Sage blows in preseason it will be easire to hand the job to Jackson than if he handed the job to Sage and said publicly "Sage is my guy".

Well, I'm not sure sure where you live but I can assure you in Minnesota there is nothing coming from either Winter Park, or the press indicating Rosenfelds has the inside track. In fact, most of the scribes seem to believe Jackson has the edge and that it's his job to lose.

A 4th for a solid second option if the guy you've been trying to develop fails his last chance isn't too overpriced. I think he will start but it's far from a done deal from almost every source I've heard. In fact, one current theory is that Speilman wants Rosenfelds but Chilly favors Jackson.

It will be an open competition and Chilly already publicly stated they'd both get equal time with the #1s.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

Well, I'm not sure sure where you live but I can assure you in Minnesota there is nothing coming from either Winder Park, or the press indicating Rosenfelds has the inside track. In fact, most of the scribes seem to believe Jackson has the edge and that it's his job to lose.

A 4th for a solid second option if the guy you've been trying to develop fails his last chance isn't too overpriced. I think he will start but it's far from a done deal from almost every source I've heard. In fact, one current theory is that Speilman wants Rosenfelds but Chilly favors Jackson.

It will be an open competition and Chilly already publicly stated they'd both get equal time with the #1s.

You're wasting your breath. CPK thinks David Carr went to Carolina to replace Jake Delhomme, and Joey Harrington went to Atlanta to replace Michael Vick.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

Well, I'm not sure sure where you live but I can assure you in Minnesota there is nothing coming from either Winter Park, or the press indicating Rosenfelds has the inside track. In fact, most of the scribes seem to believe Jackson has the edge and that it's his job to lose.

It will be an open competition and Chilly already publicly stated they'd both get equal time with the #1s.Than that theory kind of proves my point. Spielman made the trade becuase he wanted him to be the starter. They would never say out loud to anyone that "Sage is the guy" becuase you can't be 100% certain that Sage is that superior to Jackson. Unlike the Bears where Cutler is a far superior upgrade to what they have.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

Well, I'm not sure sure where you live but I can assure you in Minnesota there is nothing coming from either Winder Park, or the press indicating Rosenfelds has the inside track. In fact, most of the scribes seem to believe Jackson has the edge and that it's his job to lose.

You're wasting your breath. CPK thinks David Carr went to Carolina to replace Jake Delhomme, and Joey Harrington went to Atlanta to replace Michael Vick.No since I think they are absolute garbage and that Delhomme is still viable. Before Rosenfels, the Vikings had nothing. As for Vick, having to find a QB becuase your franchise one went to prison is a lot different than the Vikings who had garbage to begin with. Thank YOu for being a cock.

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

It will be an open competition and Chilly already publicly stated they'd both get equal time with the #1s.Than that theory kind of proves my point. Spielman made the trade becuase he wanted him to be the starter. They would never say out loud to anyone that "Sage is the guy" becuase you can't be 100% certain that Sage is that superior to Jackson. Unlike the Bears where Cutler is a far superior upgrade to what they have.

You are speculating. They said they made the trade to provide more competition for the job in camp. It makes sense. It's not like they were going to find a better quarterback in the draft with that pick anyway.

falco
05-07-2009, 05:51 PM
As for Vick, having to find a QB becuase your franchise one went to prison is a lot different than the Vikings who had garbage to begin with. Thank YOu for being a cock.

The falcons picked up Harrington prior to Vick's scandal with the dogs...he was a planned backup.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
In fact, one current theory is that Speilman wants Rosenfelds but Chilly favors Jackson.

I'm starting to like Chilly almost as much as I liked Tice.

Rastak
05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

It will be an open competition and Chilly already publicly stated they'd both get equal time with the #1s.Than that theory kind of proves my point. Spielman made the trade becuase he wanted him to be the starter. They would never say out loud to anyone that "Sage is the guy" becuase you can't be 100% certain that Sage is that superior to Jackson. Unlike th
e Bears where Cutler is a far superior upgrade to what they have.

But players know damn well GMs don't set the depth chart, right? Why would he not believe the dude who actually controls it?

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Childress on Rosenfels:

It will be an open competition and Chilly already publicly stated they'd both get equal time with the #1s.Than that theory kind of proves my point. Spielman made the trade becuase he wanted him to be the starter. They would never say out loud to anyone that "Sage is the guy" becuase you can't be 100% certain that Sage is that superior to Jackson. Unlike th
e Bears where Cutler is a far superior upgrade to what they have.

But players know damn well GMs don't set the depth chart, right? Why would he not believe the dude who actually controls it?Becuase GM's have ways of getting what they want. After all they are the coaches boss. If a GM wants it bad enough, he'll get it.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 06:27 PM
As for Vick, having to find a QB becuase your franchise one went to prison is a lot different than the Vikings who had garbage to begin with. Thank YOu for being a cock.

The falcons picked up Harrington prior to Vick's scandal with the dogs...he was a planned backup.Harrington I believe was also unemployed at the time. Hardly the same as Sage.

rbaloha1
05-07-2009, 06:40 PM

According to the JS $5million + was committed to Sage--Spielman's boy.

rbaloha1
05-07-2009, 06:51 PM
[/quote]Than that theory kind of proves my point. Spielman made the trade becuase he wanted him to be the starter. They would never say out loud to anyone that "Sage is the guy" becuase you can't be 100% certain that Sage is that superior to Jackson. Unlike the Bears where Cutler is a far superior upgrade to what they have.[/quote]

Exactly. Favre messes up the situation. Recall the Jets -- forced to trade Pennington and forced to take Sanchez.

Actually we should be hoping Favre goes to the Vikings and disrupts them. BTW the Minnesota gov. is a piece of work with his comments.

Rastak
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM

2 yrs 9 mil is not a huge contract. Favre made 12 last year alone.

Fosco33
05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
My take - he wanted to just play, no practice/training camp.
Vikes were smart enough to say 'nope' and let him say he was retired still.

Here's hoping he takes a 6 month European tour to get rid of this 'itch'.

:glug:

Fritz
05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Will Favre have that surgery done, I wonder?

Gunakor
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Will Favre have that surgery done, I wonder?

It couldn't hurt, whether he's going to play again or not I think he should get it done.

pbmax
05-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Not all GMs are created equal. Rastak can correct me, but I think in the Triangle of Authority ™, Spielman and Childress are on par with Rob Brzezinski. I don't think Spielman has the authority to hire or fire the coach.

I also have read that its believed, right now, that Childress is wielding the biggest stick among the three, not Spielman. So even if you have deduced Spielman's intent correctly, it may come to nothing. Shack Harris lost this same battle in Jacksonville to Del Rio. And Harris had the far more accomplished QB (Leftwich versus Sage).

Also this breaking news, Rich McKay has not been a member of the Buccaneers front office since before PackerRats was born (left for Falcons in 2003). Bruce Allen came over from the Raiders about the same time as Gruden, although his title was not GM and he did not have authority over the coach either.

Bretsky
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM

highly doubt Favre retired til TTT is gone

rbaloha1
05-07-2009, 08:27 PM

2 yrs 9 mil is not a huge contract. Favre made 12 last year alone.

Its relative. Good size contract for a potential backup. Add Favre whats the cost for one position.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Who do you think would have a problem with it, Favre or Thompson? I don't see Thompson holding it up. If Favre stays retired, perhaps he has gotten over last year.

Bretsky
05-07-2009, 08:36 PM

Who do you think would have a problem with it, Favre or Thompson?

Favre

Partial
05-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Who do you think would have a problem with it, Favre or Thompson? I don't see Thompson holding it up. If Favre stays retired, perhaps he has gotten over last year.

Why would Thompson have a problem with it??

Chevelle2
05-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Yahoo report false?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8103312d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bus Cook, Favre's agent, told NFL Network's Scott Hanson that he had a Thursday morning conversation with his client, who didn't mention any phone call with Childress.

cpk1994
05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Yahoo report false?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8103312d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bus Cook, Favre's agent, told NFL Network's Scott Hanson that he had a Thursday morning conversation with his client, who didn't mention any phone call with Childress.Favre doesn't have to inform his agent becuase as far as Bus is concerned at this point Brett is still retired. I don't think Brett has to tell Bus I'm still retired. I think Bus is working the media again for a later date.

The Shadow
05-07-2009, 09:10 PM
http://www.packerupdate.com/

Lurker64
05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Yahoo report false?

Bus Cook, Favre's agent, told NFL Network's Scott Hanson that he had a Thursday morning conversation with his client, who didn't mention any phone call with Childress.Favre doesn't have to inform his agent becuase as far as Bus is concerned at this point Brett is still retired. I don't think Brett has to tell Bus I'm still retired. I think Bus is working the media again for a later date.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3346/baghdadbus.jpg

Fritz
05-08-2009, 06:55 AM
When I saw the JSO headline this morning - "Favre to Stay Retired" - I felt a tremendous, sudden relief. Yes, it was like watching a train wreck about to occur, and that's damn riveting stuff, but I was really, really relieved. I was glad for Favre. A team had reached out to him - he was being courted, asked, desired - and he'd said no. I felt a sense of finality.

Then I read that he'd called Childress, apparently, to cancel the meeting, and I had a flashback to last year in March. Now I know Favre denied that Thompson and McCarthy were supposed to be flying from the NFL meetings in Orlando to arrange a comeback and that he'd called and canceled, but suddenly the situation felt eerily similar.

But I take solace in the idea that if he really wanted to play, he'd have to - from what I understand - have that shoulder surgery done, and he hasn't done that as far as anyone knows. So as long as that doesn't happen, I'm going to be comforted by Favre having turned down the Vikings.

On an entirely unrelated note - Rastak, that pic the JSO ran on the page, of Favre and the Vikings' mascot? Man, that mascot looks like he's been getting an AARP discount for quite some time now. Didn't most Viking warriors get killed by the time they were about 25 years old? Maybe you guys need to hire some buff and hearty muscle man for the job, and let Leonard the Old Viking out to pasture...

SnakeLH2006
05-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Direct reply to Topic:

No way...Been saying it for months and didn't even read the posts. Favre plays to break the all-time starting streak at 1 game away (269 vs 270). and hates TT. He plays no matter what. Who cares though.