PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News on Brett Favre!

Pages : 1 [2]

Tyrone Bigguns
05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
He he he...they get an injured rent-a-QB for a season and piss off the one they brought in to be the guy in the process...

they get an injured rent-a-QB for a season - an injured rent-a-QB - rent-a-QB . . . . all that. . . eqated to Brett Favre.

I was in Maple Leaf Gardens in the early 1970's and witnessed the Leaf fans boo the Great Goalie Johnny Bower too. How soon the mighty can fall to those who couldn't even lace up their boots.

Considering that he played his last game in 69, it is quite hard to imagine this. :lol:

By the end of his career he as a part time player..sharing time with sawchuk. And, i question your memory...since he had he his regular 2.XX GAA in the regular season.

They might have booed in a playoff game considering he had a 4 plus GAA in 4 games..with 2 losses in 4 games...and no WINS. :oops:

But, i guess the fans shouldn't boo anybody...since they didn't play the sport...they ONLY PAY FOR IT!

MJZiggy
05-18-2009, 06:38 AM
He he he...they get an injured rent-a-QB for a season and piss off the one they brought in to be the guy in the process...

cold chick

What? You think Favre is gonna hang around Minny for more than one year? is his throwing arm not injured? Rent-a-QB--and now Rosenfels is pissed off. The Vikings have screwed themselves for the long term with this whole thing and I think it's funny. Ironically, it's exactly what would have happened in GB had TT not stuck with Rodgers...

Fritz
05-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Rosenfels is irked? I hadn't heard that. What's your source, Zig?

MJZiggy
05-18-2009, 06:44 AM

Look at the post on page 12 before mine. I agree that Rosenfels seems irked.

cpk1994
05-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Look at the post on page 12 before mine. I agree that Rosenfels seems irked.Yeah, ROsenfels basically gave a "No comment" that comes off as annoyed.

Merlin
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
It's all about revenge and a bitter man that can't let go. The love affair died and he can't get over it and can't let it go.

I'm going with what we all should know about Brett Favre and that's his love for the game and to compete.

To take it to: It's personal or he has something to prove is dark, as mean and prickly as the personalitys of those that post such garbage. I came to know him as a Packer fan and remain loyal to him as the football player he endeavours to be. To respect his style, spirit and play and for all he wants still hopefully to give to the game.

Favre in a Vikings uniform certainly is intriguiging. I would use different adjectives to describe the hatred he gets on this forum from some nobs that don't have the brains to blow powder to hell. Yes! That's you as it fits.

A suggestion Packerrats:

Let go of the man and lets just see what transpires. It's a free world gents but can we be free of ridicule and ignorance here? I suspect that will challenge the small minded among us. :D

Nice post Woody...

Merlin
05-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Favre is starting to piss me off:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8105843b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=trueLooks like Paco has already commented on the article. :lol:

Last year, when Favre applied for reinstatement from retirement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell -- who was responsible for the reinstatement -- saw the potential for a sour scene at Packers training camp and decided to reach out to Favre by phone.

According to sources, Favre explained to Goodell that he had no choice but to ask the Packers to come back in order to force his release if they wouldn't let him compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job in Green Bay.

Favre's intention was to be released and join the Minnesota Vikings, the Packers' NFC North rivals.

At one point, according to the source, Favre got passionate on the phone, telling Goodell, "He (Thompson) doesn't want me going to Minnesota because he knows I'll kick his ass twice a year!"

That makes it mere hearsay. Mere hearsay at a time of high emotion for Favre even if he went there. If he went there? Favre like all here is a mere human being and things this time last season were highly charged.

Again, Favre is human.

What can I say? The conspiracy theorists can argue all they want and do revisionist history all they want but facts are facts.
1) TT did not kiss Brett's butt and sign a horde of FAs while Brett was here but that was not an attempt to run Brett out of town. Thats just how TT operates. He is no more urgent to sign FAs with Rodgers as QB than he was with Brett. Is he now trying to run Rodgers out of town?

2)The decision to draft Rodgers was not an attempt to run Brett out of town. Rodgers was the best player on the board. Brett was 36. Brett had been waffling for a couple years already about retirement. The Packers had no quality backup QB let alone an heir apparant if Brett were to leave. And Rodgers just fell to them. And remember Brett kept the job for 3 years after Rodgers arrived and would have kept it in 2008 had Brett not retired.

3) Brett did in fact retire on his own after the 2007 season. Could the Packers have welcomed him back? Sure. Can people be mad that they did not welcome him back? Of course. But lets not change the procuring cause of the problem which is that Brett decided to "hang em up".

Brett was not forced out. Brett was not run off. Brett was not cut or traded until he himself made the first move by retiring. Folks can argue all you want that the Packers were wrong in trading him or not giving his starting job back or whatever but you cannot change the fact than Brett retired for the entire 2008 offseason and then wanted to come back when camp opened and the Packers said "we've moved on." Brett brought this on himself. Now he is invigorated to "stick it" to Green Bay and TT. That is just how it is. No spinning will change those basic facts

There are two sides to this story and you have only provided one, your own take on it. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth and no one accept Favre and Thompson can clarify what really happened, they each have stuck to their guns so by taking Thompson's side you are calling Favre a liar, by taking Favre's side you are calling Thompson a liar, by just accepting that you don't know what you don't know, you are being intelligent about the matter which is right where any rational person should be. Favre was and perhaps still is a great player to watch play the game. Just because you follow his career doesn't make you a "hater" of anyone, it just shows your love of the game, contrary to what MANY posters in here believe. If you follow the career of Adrian Paterson, are you a hater? What about Joe Montana? Are you a hater? Why is Favre any different? I don't hear anyone blowing their wad about Ryan Longwell anymore, or hell even Darren Sharper. Why is Favre different? I suspect your disdain for him is why you have an a loyalty for the least successful GM we have had in 20 some years. The facts as you put it are there, look it up, Thompson is NOT a successful GM. "We like who we have here", apparently the record doesn't matter as long as you like your own decisions...

Pacopete4
05-18-2009, 01:03 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8105843b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=trueLooks like Paco has already commented on the article. :lol:

Last year, when Favre applied for reinstatement from retirement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell -- who was responsible for the reinstatement -- saw the potential for a sour scene at Packers training camp and decided to reach out to Favre by phone.

According to sources, Favre explained to Goodell that he had no choice but to ask the Packers to come back in order to force his release if they wouldn't let him compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job in Green Bay.

Favre's intention was to be released and join the Minnesota Vikings, the Packers' NFC North rivals.

At one point, according to the source, Favre got passionate on the phone, telling Goodell, "He (Thompson) doesn't want me going to Minnesota because he knows I'll kick his ass twice a year!"

That makes it mere hearsay. Mere hearsay at a time of high emotion for Favre even if he went there. If he went there? Favre like all here is a mere human being and things this time last season were highly charged.

Again, Favre is human.

What can I say? The conspiracy theorists can argue all they want and do revisionist history all they want but facts are facts.
1) TT did not kiss Brett's butt and sign a horde of FAs while Brett was here but that was not an attempt to run Brett out of town. Thats just how TT operates. He is no more urgent to sign FAs with Rodgers as QB than he was with Brett. Is he now trying to run Rodgers out of town?

2)The decision to draft Rodgers was not an attempt to run Brett out of town. Rodgers was the best player on the board. Brett was 36. Brett had been waffling for a couple years already about retirement. The Packers had no quality backup QB let alone an heir apparant if Brett were to leave. And Rodgers just fell to them. And remember Brett kept the job for 3 years after Rodgers arrived and would have kept it in 2008 had Brett not retired.

3) Brett did in fact retire on his own after the 2007 season. Could the Packers have welcomed him back? Sure. Can people be mad that they did not welcome him back? Of course. But lets not change the procuring cause of the problem which is that Brett decided to "hang em up".

Brett was not forced out. Brett was not run off. Brett was not cut or traded until he himself made the first move by retiring. Folks can argue all you want that the Packers were wrong in trading him or not giving his starting job back or whatever but you cannot change the fact than Brett retired for the entire 2008 offseason and then wanted to come back when camp opened and the Packers said "we've moved on." Brett brought this on himself. Now he is invigorated to "stick it" to Green Bay and TT. That is just how it is. No spinning will change those basic facts

There are two sides to this story and you have only provided one, your own take on it. Somewhere in the middle lies the truth and no one accept Favre and Thompson can clarify what really happened, they each have stuck to their guns so by taking Thompson's side you are calling Favre a liar, by taking Favre's side you are calling Thompson a liar, by just accepting that you don't know what you don't know, you are being intelligent about the matter which is right where any rational person should be. Favre was and perhaps still is a great player to watch play the game. Just because you follow his career doesn't make you a "hater" of anyone, it just shows your love of the game, contrary to what MANY posters in here believe. If you follow the career of Adrian Paterson, are you a hater? What about Joe Montana? Are you a hater? Why is Favre any different? I don't hear anyone blowing their wad about Ryan Longwell anymore, or hell even Darren Sharper. Why is Favre different? I suspect your disdain for him is why you have an a loyalty for the least successful GM we have had in 20 some years. The facts as you put it are there, look it up, Thompson is NOT a successful GM. "We like who we have here", apparently the record doesn't matter as long as you like your own decisions...

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Again, Favre is human.

You had me until "least successful GM." Go be a Jets fan, or a Viking fan. Or whichever team your mancrush is going to play for next.

Bossman641
05-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Favre apologists always throw this line out there and it makes no sense to me. Has Favre shown anywhere that he didn't pull out all the guns to try and make TT and the organization look bad? No, from his comments last summer and the whispers we have heard since then Favre came with everything he had. Maybe Favre wasn't wronged as much as some of you would wish.

All summer we kept waiting for the bombshell to drop of how TT had screwed Favre over and that's why he was so upset and acting the way he was. Guess what, it never came. You expect me to believe that Favre; who went on Greta, let his family do his talking for him, threw Campen under the bus, badmouthed TT and the organization, was bitching about the Packers all year (according to Jets players), etc..... has some deep, dark secret about the Packers that he is too moral to reveal? Get real.

The Packers stuck to their guns of remaning fairly silent except to correct events in the Favre timeline. Favre stuck to his guns of playing the media game and letting others do the talking for him. Sorry, but when it comes down to who I believe more there's no question it's the organization.

If you have any proof or even theories of why Favre didn't come out with the whole truth I'd love to hear them.

RashanGary
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Look what Jets players have had to say about Favre. If he didn't have a legacy (money) being protected in GB, you wonder what you would hear out of our lockerroom.

As far as there being two sides, yeah there are two.

One side has lied over and over.

One side has laid out a detailed timetable and has never been shown to be a liar in the course of his entire life. In fact, by those who know Thompson, he is one of the most honest, good persons they have met.

You can choose to believe whoever you want, but many here would call believing a compulsive liar over a stand up man, idiotic. So if there is a general sense that Favre is a liar and Thompson is a good man, don't be shocked. That is a big part of what has been revealed in this whole drama. Thompsons approval rating seems to be at an all time high. Favre's seems to be at an all time low. I think it is what it is and people see it.

If that bothers you, good. Sometimes the truth bothers us but it doesn't mean we should stop telling it.

cpk1994
05-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Favre apologists always throw this line out there and it makes no sense to me. Has Favre shown anywhere that he didn't pull out all the guns to try and make TT and the organization look bad? No, from his comments last summer and the whispers we have heard since then Favre came with everything he had. Maybe Favre wasn't wronged as much as some of you would wish.

All summer we kept waiting for the bombshell to drop of how TT had screwed Favre over and that's why he was so upset and acting the way he was. Guess what, it never came. You expect me to believe that Favre; who went on Greta, let his family do his talking for him, threw Campen under the bus, badmouthed TT and the organization, was bitching about the Packers all year (according to Jets players), etc..... has some deep, dark secret about the Packers that he is too moral to reveal? Get real.

The Packers stuck to their guns of remaning fairly silent except to correct events in the Favre timeline. Favre stuck to his guns of playing the media game and letting others do the talking for him. Sorry, but when it comes down to who I believe more there's no question it's the organization.

If you have any proof or even theories of why Favre didn't come out with the whole truth I'd love to hear them.Well said. And thats even without the all out hachet job done on the Packers by BSPN(most notably Gene W. John Clayton, and Mort) and MJS. ESPN didn't even bother to tell the Packers saide of the story. None of their main NFL guys did. It was always "Poor Favre. What a sad victim". Disgusting.

Pack-man
05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Favre reportedly to have arm surgery this week
Retired QB will have biceps tendon repaired; rehab to take 6-8 weeks

NBCSports.com news services
updated 35 minutes ago

Brett Favre will meet with Dr. James Andrews on Tuesday to discuss surgery on his torn right biceps tendon, the St. Paul Pioneer-Press reported Monday, citing no sources.

Favre is expected to undergo the surgery this week and would begin a 6-8 week rehab, the newspaper reported.

If all goes well with the surgery, Favre is expected to sign with the Vikings, the newspaper reported.

Merlin
05-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Again, Favre is human.

You had me until "least successful GM." Go be a Jets fan, or a Viking fan. Or whichever team your mancrush is going to play for next.

You must rate success differently then I do. I look at the W's, playoff appearances, etc. and in that regard, he is, it's a fact, it cannot be disputed.

I am a fan of the game and Favre is fun to watch, no matter who he plays for. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him in the AFC last season. This season, if he plays for the Vikings, I won't get as much enjoyment because I am first an foremost a Packer fan and I of course want the Vikings to lose, especially twice to the Packers. That doesn't mean Favre has to play crappy for that to happen, that doesn't mean he still won't be enjoyable to watch. I also will see less football this season because Favre being in the AFC allowed for more games to watch, the Vikings, in our own division, I won't see many of those games unless the Packers aren't playing, and I watched those already anyway, as I did for a NFC North teams that weren't playing when the Packers were.

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, go get 'em boys!

Merlin
05-18-2009, 03:00 PM

If you have any proof or even theories of why Favre didn't come out with the whole truth I'd love to hear them.

Sure, if you have any proof or even theories of why Thompson & McCarthy didn't come out with the whole truth I'd love to hear them. That argument in and of itself doesn't have any creditability. Thompson & McCarthy both aren't stupid enough to say what "really" transpired, especially if anything Favre said was true. You are taking a side when neither you nor any of the rest of us have any idea what really happened. Favre had no choice but to attack to save face because of what I believe was a stupid decision to retire and Thompson & McCarthy had no choice but to deny given their respective positions in the organization. Somewhere in the middle is the truth and there was much more going on than what Thompson & McCarthy told the media, Favre probably did embellish/lie about some of it, but it ALL wasn't a lie. Just like Thompson & McCarthy denying it ALL doesn't mean there isn't some truth to some of it. You have taken a side and refuse to acknowledge any opinion other then your own and it's your choice to do so. However, conventional wisdom would say that when you have two sides of a story, both sides will be biased in each sides favor with the truth lying somewhere in the middle. I guess Thompson & McCarthy have no reason to lie, only Favre does, and you think I am an apologist?

I deplore you to look up the word "Hypocrisy"...

RashanGary
05-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Favre is a shown liar through all of this and a total phony per the Jet's teammates

McCarthy and Thompson are shown honest men through all of this.

Believe who you want just don't whine about it when the majority think you're an idiot.

swede
05-18-2009, 03:12 PM

I deplore you to look up the word "deplore".

retailguy
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Favre is a shown liar.

McCarthy and Thompson are shown honest men.

Believe who you want.

:D

This is a riot.

Thompson - "We are not rebuilding".

McCarthy - "I'm just putting a coat of paint on my dream house".

Yep. :wink: Justin, sometimes you kill me.

DISCLAIMER - None of the above is meant to convey my allegiance for, nor my support for, the idiotic positions taken by my teams former, future HOF quarterback. Though, his whining, sniveling display, does not make Thomspon, McCarthy nor the Packer organization more "honest". LMAO.

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Favre is a shown liar.

McCarthy and Thompson are shown honest men.

Believe who you want.

:D

This is a riot.

Thompson - "We are not rebuilding".

McCarthy - "I'm just putting a coat of paint on my dream house".

Yep. :wink: Justin, sometimes you kill me.

DISCLAIMER - None of the above is meant to convey my allegiance for, nor my support for, the idiotic positions taken by my teams former, future HOF quarterback. Though, his whining, sniveling display, does not make Thomspon, McCarthy nor the Packer organization more "honest". LMAO.

Brett Favre: "I wont come back, even if I get the itch"

"Its all rumor"

"No Deanna, Im not addicted to pain pills"

etc etc

Cheesehead Craig
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM

I deplore you to look up the word "deplore".

I deplore this whole situation.

retailguy
05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Brett Favre: "I wont come back, even if I get the itch"

"Its all rumor"

"No Deanna, Im not addicted to pain pills"

etc etc

you have difficulty reading, don't you? :roll:

mraynrand
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
for Brettus is an honourable man; so are they all, all honourable men

Fritz
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM

updated 35 minutes ago

Brett Favre will meet with Dr. James Andrews on Tuesday to discuss surgery on his torn right biceps tendon, the St. Paul Pioneer-Press reported Monday, citing no sources.

Favre is expected to undergo the surgery this week and would begin a 6-8 week rehab, the newspaper reported.

If all goes well with the surgery, Favre is expected to sign with the Vikings, the newspaper reported.

This all reminds me of the television commercials for the Popeil Pocket Fisherman or the amazing slicer dicer ("makes Julienne fries, too!"). The announcer would tell you two or three things you'd get for $19.99 ("You get the Popeil Pocket Fisherman, the bait bucket, and two sinkers!"), then he'd say, "But wait, there's more!"

Just when you think Favre may really be retired....all done....."But wait, there's more!"

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
If the surgery goes well, Favre will sign with the Minnesota Vikings, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Mr Favre? Meet BJ and Clay.

Partial
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Favre is a shown liar through all of this and a total phony per the Jet's teammates

McCarthy and Thompson are shown honest men through all of this.

Believe who you want just don't whine about it when the majority think you're an idiot.

The majority of people are sheep. Truth be told we have no idea what the true story is.

retailguy
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM

updated 35 minutes ago

This all reminds me of the television commercials for the Popeil Pocket Fisherman or the amazing slicer dicer ("makes Julienne fries, too!"). The announcer would tell you two or three things you'd get for $19.99 ("You get the Popeil Pocket Fisherman, the bait bucket, and two sinkers!"), then he'd say, "But wait, there's more!"

Just when you think Favre may really be retired....all done....."But wait, there's more!"

Maybe Favre can hock "ShamWow's" after he finally gets too old for anyone to want him.

Poor Vince won't have any money for more hookers, but that's just the way the world works...

Funny stuff Fritz.

SkinBasket
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
You are taking a side when neither you nor any of the rest of us have any idea what really happened.

It's hard to argue the other side's arguments when you're busy defeating your own.

woodbuck27
05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
This Favre thing gets more embarassing for us Packer fans as it goes on, and on. Proof that it was embarassing to the Packer Organization can be seen in the fact the 'O' offered Brett Favre $20 Million just to stay retired. That was a payoff to make it all go away as Favre was still under contract and stood to make more than the $20 million dollars if he played out his contract.

Noone here really knows how it really went down. It's clear that Favre wanted to continue playing in Green Bay. Someone decided the response from the Packers was 'a no'. That response came after one of Brett Favre's best seasons under center or the 2007 season, and given that success maybe he simply felt he had more in the tank for 2008. A decision was made against Favre. Aaron Rodgers took over and played well. Yet our team faltered in it's won - loss record and in the NFCN. Something more than a QB controversy was at the head of problems for us in 2008. We couldn't stop the run. Enter Dom Capers and a new defense to be installed and hope for more in 2009.

I see it all as uplifting. It sure appears the saga will continue as Favre looks ready to take the steps to repair his damaged right shoulder and sign a contract with our arch rivals or the team he was set to go to last season. The Minnesota Vikings. Could a worse case scenario be scripted for the Packer organization? Maybe not? Yet why get worked up over it as a possibility today? Why bicker among ourselves here on our forum over the life of an athlete many of us admired and many still do respect and cannot help but not wish bad will upon?

Common decency dictates we let go of this issue here. To smash one another over it makes us lesser people. It brings down bad karma on our overall experience as Packerrats. We have some opposing and very strong personality's here. Let's enjoy a truce and just wait for the results on the field. I think it's simply very interesting as this continues.

It's not worth insult or condemnation among good Packer fans and certainly fellow forum members.

How as Packer fans should we get through this mess? I suggest we just allow it to run it's course. Why build up emotions and animosity among ourselves? Why act foolishly petty over something beyond our control, as simply Packer and NFL fans? Rather as fans of this sport we love, I suggest we just enjoy it all. Allow the cards to fall as they will.

:D Enjoy the competition. Let's leave it on the field. We're only fans. We're also Green Bay Packer fans and for one of to suggest otherwise Vs another is worse than immature or petty. It's shameful.

My name is Ed. woodbuck27 A Packer fan for 50 years.

Fritz
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Ah...let's just bash each other.

CaptainD
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Again, Favre is human.

The only thing the packers could have done to avert all this would have been to stuff Rodgers back into the closet and reaccept Favre as the starting QB when he decided he wanted to unretire in late june of last year. It certainly appears that they would have had to do so again this year as well, pretty much guaranteeing passage of Rodgers out of green bay as he would not have resigned under those circumstances.

But since the packers chose not to do that Favre has gone on TV to smear the GM, he's provided info to packer opponents, he consistently brought up the packers to jets teammates, and has now pushed to gain his release from the jets to play for the vikings and in the same division as the Packers to serve notice.

In short he has acted like a complete idiot, and I simply do not buy that we have it coming for making a decision that in all reality made fairly good sense....a decision the jets just duplicated with a QB with even less experience. Im not a Favre hater but I definitely don't excuse the man acting like a high school kid who got dumped at the prom.

When a player retires, a team has to set in motion their plan to move on and you walk away from your position on the team. If you decide you made the wrong decision one possibility is that you may not get your job back. Choosing to play for a rival to, at least to some degree, send a message is pretty disappointing.

If you can excuse favres acting out against his former team as "we have it coming", then its only fair that some fans find it offensive and have every bit the right to voice their displeasure.

CaptainD
05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice sig, CaptainD... good graphic skills.. That you?

I wish ! Got this last year during training camp and have been wearing it ever since. Folks over at football's future get the credit.

SkinBasket
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Ah...let's just bash each other.

You smell like dead fish. Your turn!

RashanGary
05-18-2009, 04:48 PM
A lot of great points, captain D. This whole thing was out in the open, moreso than anything we've ever seen with the Packers (they had to, fans would not have sat back and just watched idol if there was not a good reason).

TT talked to the public. Favre got up as high as he could so he could scream down the mountain side his view. MM spoke several times to several outlets.

People know what went on. The only people who argue it, are the people who will not accept what Favre did as reality. They think there are hidden evils that Favre is just too nice to tell us about TT. He's holding back, for some reason, the real truth that will damn TT. Anyone who's followed this and does not have a brain block understands that, that is why the majority are holding Favre accountable, and rightfully so. I'm proud of Packer Nation for putting their emotions aside and standing for what is right.

Partial
05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
JH, I'm sure you know what happened at Roswell too, because after all the government said it was just a weather balloon and that's what the media reported.

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM

Again, Favre is human.

You must rate success differently then I do. I look at the W's, playoff appearances, etc. and in that regard, he is, it's a fact, it cannot be disputed.

I am a fan of the game and Favre is fun to watch, no matter who he plays for. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him in the AFC last season. This season, if he plays for the Vikings, I won't get as much enjoyment because I am first an foremost a Packer fan and I of course want the Vikings to lose, especially twice to the Packers. That doesn't mean Favre has to play crappy for that to happen, that doesn't mean he still won't be enjoyable to watch. I also will see less football this season because Favre being in the AFC allowed for more games to watch, the Vikings, in our own division, I won't see many of those games unless the Packers aren't playing, and I watched those already anyway, as I did for a NFC North teams that weren't playing when the Packers were.

See, unlike you I dont pretend that I am smarter than guys who get paid millions of dollars to do this. I'll side with the GM's who named him GM of the year, you can keep living in your fantasy world.

You enjoyed Favre flame out down the stretch?

RashanGary
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
JH, I'm sure you know what happened at Roswell too, because after all the government said it was just a weather balloon and that's what the media reported.

And some day, if Favre gets really, really upset with Thompson, he's going to come out and tell the whole damning story :lol:

Right now he just doesn't want to say anything that might make Thompson look bad so we don't know the whole story. The Greta thing, where Favre got to give his side, that wasn't really his side :lol: OK Parsh. Gochya.

cheesner
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM

In his first 3 season TT improved signicantly in the second and third seasons. Were you at that time touting TT as the best GM of the last 20 years? Facts don't lie. No GM has shown that kind of steady improvement since Lombardi.

When you want to, you can skew the facts to represent anything you want. Take your sig, for example. Did our GM actually say that? Or are you misrepresenting his statement by taking something out of context?

"I'm smarter then everyone else." - our GM.

Please show me the link to this quote.

Ultimately TT will be judged on if he won a superbowl. Nothing more or less.
This is no easy task, and if you can't see the pieces being properly assembled to a point where that will soon be a realistic goal, you are missing out.

Brett is no longer a Packer. He is currently trying to join a team for the sole purpose of causing the Packers to loose. He is currently no different than Ulacher, Calvin Johnson, or Adrianne Peterson. Treat him accordingly.

Joemailman
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree with Cheesner. If Favre signs with the Vikings, I will regard him as the Vikings quarterback. With all that that entails. And not just when they play the Packers.

Partial
05-18-2009, 05:44 PM

And some day, if Favre gets really, really upset with Thompson, he's going to come out and tell the whole damning story :lol:

Right now he just doesn't want to say anything that might make Thompson look bad so we don't know the whole story. The Greta thing, where Favre got to give his side, that wasn't really his side :lol: OK Parsh. Gochya.

I really don't think it was the whole side of the story. Either way, you're simply brushing that off and not acknowledging his side of the story at all, simply agreeing 100% with the Packers statement.

Packnut
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
This thread is the perfect example of romper room at it's best. The in-maturity is indeed mind-boggling.

According to the resident morons (and you know who you are), Favre is the first person in the history of labor relations to dislike his boss? Favre is also the first person in the history of the world to make a decision and then change his mind? I also guess Favre is the first person on this earth to wanna get even with his boss for what he perceived as being slighted?

I'm sure not one of you a-holes who use this forum to take shots at Favre every chance you get, never had a problem with a superior at work? But because it's Brett Favre, that's a different story right?

Well, the latest news is Favre is getting the shoulder fixed and will sign with the Vikes. Be happy clowns. Your punching bag is coming back........

Pacopete4
05-18-2009, 07:14 PM
This thread is the perfect example of romper room at it's best. The in-maturity is indeed mind-boggling.

According to the resident morons (and you know who you are), Favre is the first person in the history of labor relations to dislike his boss? Favre is also the first person in the history of the world to make a decision and then change his mind? I also guess Favre is the first person on this earth to wanna get even with his boss for what he perceived as being slighted?

I'm sure not one of you a-holes who use this forum to take shots at Favre every chance you get, never had a problem with a superior at work? But because it's Brett Favre, that's a different story right?

Well, the latest news is Favre is getting the shoulder fixed and will sign with the Vikes. Be happy clowns. Your punching bag is coming back........

great post!

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Im sorry?

The Shadow
05-18-2009, 07:31 PM
There are such things as dignity, class, and grace.
There are also things like pettiness, egotism, and selfishness.
For me, the inability to win when the chips were on the line has never outweighed the often thrilling plays -but I can at least understand the adulation heaped on #4 by some, especially those too young to remember Starr and the Glory Years.
But the diva mindset revealed over the last few years has taken things over the top. Too much!
Now, instead of thinking of him as a player who provided some fine Packer football memories, the mention of his name evokes the term 'self-centered asshat'.
Sorry, Cult.

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 07:37 PM
For me, the inability to win when the chips were on the line has never outweighed the often thrilling plays -but I can at least understand the adulation heaped on #4 by some, especially those too young to remember Starr and the Glory Years.
But the diva mindset revealed over the last few years has taken things over the top. Too much!
Now, instead of thinking of him as a player who provided some fine Packer football memories, the mention of his name evokes the term 'self-centered asshat'.
Sorry, Cult.

The Shadow - I am only 20, you are an older fan, correct? I have noticed many of the older fans (not just here) are on Favre's side. If I am correct, that you are of the older generation, why are you different to the rest?

mraynrand
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Sorry, Cult.

The Greta interview was when I waved bye-bye. I could take the crying at the retirement press conference. I could handle the disappearing act in the 2007 NFC championship second half. I could understand throwing it up for grabs at Philly in Jan 2004. But Greta, followed by his admitted desire to be vindictive by going to the Vikings last summer was all I could stand. I still love the time in GB, and I will be front and center for the Canton deal. But if he shows up in purple this fall, I will treat him like Randy Moss. And he will deserve it.

packinpatland
05-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry, Cult.

While I agree with you.........you have to admit, the Packer organization and the Packer fans enabled 'diva mindset'.

The Shadow
05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Sorry, Cult.

The Shadow - I am only 20, you are an older fan, correct? I have noticed many of the older fans (not just here) are on Favre's side. If I am correct, that you are of the older generation, why are you different to the rest?

Hi, Chev :
It's just that I remember a time when 'team' and 'winning' came first and foremost. In today's celebrity-worship world, too many folks go over the top in elevating an individual.
I've always found Favre to be an extremely flawed player; for all his skills, he just never developed/evolved into the player (and winner!) he should have. A quarterback should evolve and mature over time, but Favre will go out the way he entered the NFL : All-Pro physical skills, rookie head.
Relying simply on arm and toyghness at the expense of cerebral development as an on-field general.
Remember the infamous "I'm never going to change the way I play" comment?
That's telling.
I would imagine the mindset for a great should be : "I will learn, I will adapt, I will improve - and I will put in the time and effort to take my team to victory.."

The Shadow
05-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Sorry, Cult.

While I agree with you.........you have to admit, the Packer organization and the Packer fans enabled 'diva mindset'.

Yes, yes - way too completely and for far too long.

Gunakor
05-18-2009, 08:14 PM

No, Favre isn't the first person in history to want to do all those things. But, I can't say I'd support all the other people in the world who were that vindictive either.

Sure we have problems with our bosses, but we talk and work things out. We don't go to the national media to throw a goddamn pity party. We don't get our siblings and our parents to give their opinions on top of it. There is no getting even - shit just gets worked out. That's how adults handle things.

And when shit doesn't get worked out, we come to the realization that WE WORK FOR THEM. That we don't have to like what they say, but we do have to do what they say. That's life.

If you want to compare Favre to ordinary working people to try to make a case for him, you are treading on shaky ground. Just sayin.

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Sorry, Cult.

Hi, Chev :
It's just that I remember a time when 'team' and 'winning' came first and foremost. In today's celebrity-worship world, too many folks go over the top in elevating an individual.
I've always found Favre to be an extremely flawed player; for all his skills, he just never developed/evolved into the player (and winner!) he should have. A quarterback should evolve and mature over time, but Favre will go out the way he entered the NFL : All-Pro physical skills, rookie head.
Relying simply on arm and toyghness at the expense of cerebral development as an on-field general.
Remember the infamous "I'm never going to change the way I play" comment?
That's telling.
I would imagine the mindset for a great should be : "I will learn, I will adapt, I will improve - and I will put in the time and effort to take my team to victory.."

Interesting take, although, even I must respectfully disagree, I think he did grow from his early 91, 92, 93 days, into a more controlled player, in 95, 96, 97 and 07. But I digress.

I find it interesting that you said you value the team over the individual, and I agree. Although I find much of the older generation seems to value loyalty and contributions in this specific case, and that is why they back Favre. Your thoughts, sir?

The Shadow
05-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I think Favre received tons of money and tons of adulation for playing football in Green Bay. I am alway puzzled by those who insist he is 'owed' something.
In truth, the ONLY time he delivered was the year Ron Wolf assembled the best team in the NFL to support him.
I always thought he owed US a bit more.

Bossman641
05-18-2009, 09:27 PM

I really don't think it was the whole side of the story. Either way, you're simply brushing that off and not acknowledging his side of the story at all, simply agreeing 100% with the Packers statement.

I don't get it.

Even if we take Favre's side of the story as 100% truth what's the worst thing that he complained TT did? Promise he'd interview Mooch and not do it? Refuse to hand him his job over after Favre retired?

If you want to argue that there is some other side of the story we haven't heard I'll direct you to the same reply I had to Merlin. Why in the world would you believe that someone who has stooped to every low possible to take shots at the organization would be holding on to some other information that would make TT and Co. look bad?

Lurker64
05-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I also guess Favre is the first person on this earth to wanna get even with his boss for what he perceived as being slighted?

Not the first, but "wanting to get back at someone" in due to some perceived slight in a professional environment that was handled professionally is the very model of "childish and immature."

Partial
05-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't get it.

Even if we take Favre's side of the story as 100% truth what's the worst thing that he complained TT did? Promise he'd interview Mooch and not do it? Refuse to hand him his job over after Favre retired?

If you want to argue that there is some other side of the story we haven't heard I'll direct you to the same reply I had to Merlin. Why in the world would you believe that someone who has stooped to every low possible to take shots at the organization would be holding on to some other information that would make TT and Co. look bad?

If they legitimately made it clear that Favre could compete and if he was equal/better he'd start, then the beef is his. I simply do not believe this is the case. Reading between the lines of what was said, in my opinion there is zero chance he was starting. That's where I think the crappy treatment comes into play.

BF4MVP
05-18-2009, 10:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4176703

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 10:40 PM

So glad its not our problem anymore

MOBB DEEP
05-18-2009, 10:43 PM

So glad its not our problem anymore

our problem, tho, is comn off 6-10 record and may be 3rd best team in weak nfc north

dayum.....

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't get it.

If they legitimately made it clear that Favre could compete and if he was equal/better he'd start, then the beef is his. I simply do not believe this is the case. Reading between the lines of what was said, in my opinion there is zero chance he was starting. That's where I think the crappy treatment comes into play.

Maybe there was 0 chance he was going to start. I don't know, but if thats the case, why is that wrong? Don't the coach and GM have that right?

MOBB DEEP
05-18-2009, 10:57 PM

I don't get it.

actually a very good point boss

Partial
05-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't get it.

Maybe there was 0 chance he was going to start. I don't know, but if thats the case, why is that wrong? Don't the coach and GM have that right?

That's the debate in my opinion. I support loyalty, so without a doubt I think they owe it to Favre in that situation to give him a fair chance. It's a gentleman's game and that is very ungentlemanly, especially after the type of season 2007 was.

They certainly don't have to give him that opportunity, and in which case I don't blame him for being very angry (even if he handled the situation like shit).

Scott Campbell
05-19-2009, 12:04 AM
It's a gentleman's game.............

Were talking about football - not fencing.

Bossman641
05-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I don't get it.

That's the debate in my opinion. I support loyalty, so without a doubt I think they owe it to Favre in that situation to give him a fair chance. It's a gentleman's game and that is very ungentlemanly, especially after the type of season 2007 was.

They certainly don't have to give him that opportunity, and in which case I don't blame him for being very angry (even if he handled the situation like shit).

And having Rodgers go through minicamps and the entire offseason as the starter but then kick him to the curb is a gentlemanly thing to do?

Loyalty is different then a right. You want to talk loyalty, how about Favre giving the organization a timeline of when he would realistically retire? Is this the 5th straight offseason where he has either seriously contemplated retirement or retired?

Partial
05-19-2009, 12:27 AM
And having Rodgers go through minicamps and the entire offseason as the starter but then kick him to the curb is a gentlemanly thing to do?

Where did I say immediately anything that goes against this? Competing, if fair, is the perfectly fair, as the best man wins fair and square.

Loyalty is different then a right. You want to talk loyalty, how about Favre giving the organization a timeline of when he would realistically retire? Is this the 5th straight offseason where he has either seriously contemplated retirement or retired?

You never hear the bitching, though, about guys like Ogden, Seau or Thomas who aren't sure if they want to retire, though, and make it a bit of an annual tease for the past few years.

I agree it's extremely old and overplayed, but I cannot imagine being in that situation and have no idea what it's like so I will reserve judgement.

Bossman641
05-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Where did I say immediately anything that goes against this? Competing, if fair, is the perfectly fair, as the best man wins fair and square.
Well that's a whole other story. I just see no way where, even if Rodgers did outplay Favre, they could crown crown Rodgers the starter. The outcry from Favre fans would be ridiculous. How do you think Favre would have reacted to riding the pine? I think not well would be a good guess.

You never hear the bitching, though, about guys like Ogden, Seau or Thomas who aren't sure if they want to retire, though, and make it a bit of an annual tease for the past few years.

I agree it's extremely old and overplayed, but I cannot imagine being in that situation and have no idea what it's like so I will reserve judgement.
To be fair those guys also aren't QB's and I think you'd agree it's much harder to plan to replace a QB then a OT or LB.

Chevelle2
05-19-2009, 01:04 AM
I don't get it.

See, I feel the outcry if Favre were benched would be insane. Every sack, incompletion or interception of Rodgers, 1/2 the fan base would be clammoring for Favre, and IMO it would have made for an ugly scene.

Partial
05-19-2009, 01:10 AM
You guys are making one hefty assumption that Rodgers beats out Favre in a fair competition. I simply don't see that happening. Maybe today.

MJZiggy
05-19-2009, 06:28 AM
You guys are making one hefty assumption that Rodgers beats out Favre in a fair competition. I simply don't see that happening. Maybe today.

Maybe this happened because Rodgers was already beating him out and everyone knew it except the fans. We weren't watching Rodgers play and practice until after Favre was gone. Could explain why Favre retired and why he waited so long to come back.

Bossman641
05-19-2009, 06:54 AM

I'm not sure how that's a hefty assumption. Rodgers outplayed Favre last year IMO.

Fritz
05-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Chevelle -

I am probably one of the slightly older fans here....I was a boy at the end of Starr's tenure, and remember him from 1969 and on. And I don't support Favre in this.

I have mixed feelings on Favre's development/lack thereof. Announcers talked about his ability to read defenses, and I think he did learn to do that well, and to adjust the play at the line. He did improve in that regard.

But he rarely seemed to be able to reign in his urge to throw it to the receiver he wanted to throw it to, whether he was open or covered by three guys. My own opinion is that this happened most often when Javon Walker had his big year and Shermy was coaching.

As for who's right or wrong about the Packer/Favre thing, it can't help the pro-Favre faction that this offseason features so many of the same refrains from last season. Here's a quote from a JSO story about Favre possibly getting surgery: "Even though Favre said in February when he retired from the Jets that he was not willing to undergo surgery on the shoulder, he has apparently changed his mind."

What? Brett Favre, changing his mind in May? Hmm...that should put him on a time frame that would enable him to show up j-u-s-t in time for camp, if the surgery goes well.

He's a confused man. In some respects, I feel bad for the guy. He seems to be torn, unable to find peace. And my sense is that he's not going to find peace if he plays for the Vikings this year.

SkinBasket
05-19-2009, 07:36 AM

It's no bigger than assuming there was some kind of anti-Favre conspiracy going on.

Partial
05-19-2009, 08:58 AM

I'm not sure how that's a hefty assumption. Rodgers outplayed Favre last year IMO.

Well, I don't know what to say, but I suspect we'll see them go head to head twice this year. Unfortunately the comparison still will be tough because thats Favre's third system in as many years and he's coming off of an injury. I suspect he'll wear out towards the end of the season again.

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
from Jason Wilde:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/451675

Who do you believe when it comes to the latest on Brett Favre?

Hours after the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported Monday on its Web site that the retired quarterback was to meet today with Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., about having surgery on the partially torn biceps tendon in his right shoulder, ESPN said it was not true.

According to ESPN’s source, Favre is focused on non-surgical options, including cortisone injections and natural movements such as light throwing and bicep curls that might cause the tendon to release naturally.

If the tendon releases and the pain subsides, ESPN’s source said, Favre is virtually certain to play again. If he has surgery and his arm strength diminishes or the pain remains, Favre will remain retired, according to the source.

The Pioneer Press, which did not cite a source for its information, reported Andrews is expected to perform the “routine” surgery on Favre later this week and that rehabilitation would last six to eight weeks.

ESPN reiterated in its report that Favre discussed surgical and non-surgical options with Andrews last week.

RashanGary
05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, I don't know what to say, but I suspect we'll see them go head to head twice this year. Unfortunately the comparison still will be tough because thats Favre's third system in as many years and he's coming off of an injury. I suspect he'll wear out towards the end of the season again.

I have a question:

Do you think the Packers were doing what they thought was best for their team when they refused to let Favre back? and. . . Why?

cpk1994
05-19-2009, 09:27 AM
from Jason Wilde:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/451675

Who do you believe when it comes to the latest on Brett Favre?

This is a hard one You have the Poineer Press, which had no soucrs, or ESPN, who breathlessly reported that Brad Childress was in Mississippi AT THE SAME TIME Minneapolis TV stations were showing Childress walking into Vikings HQ . ESPN has really made some monumental blunders while the Poineer Press can't even bother to provide sources. Hard to choose.

cpk1994
05-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Well, I don't know what to say, but I suspect we'll see them go head to head twice this year. Unfortunately the comparison still will be tough because thats Favre's third system in as many years and he's coming off of an injury. I suspect he'll wear out towards the end of the season again.This will only be his second system as the Vikings run the same system as the Packers do, the WCO.

Pacopete4
05-19-2009, 11:41 AM

Well, I don't know what to say, but I suspect we'll see them go head to head twice this year. Unfortunately the comparison still will be tough because thats Favre's third system in as many years and he's coming off of an injury. I suspect he'll wear out towards the end of the season again.This will only be his second system as the Vikings run the same system as the Packers do, the WCO.

CPK, the wco is a very complicated system and since Walsh invented it, it's been tinkered with by many coaches. There are various wco's in the NFL today. But I've read this one is close to the version that mike Sherman ran so it shouldn't take him long to learn it, but it will be different to him.

Gunakor
05-19-2009, 11:57 AM
This will only be his second system as the Vikings run the same system as the Packers do, the WCO.

Sherman's version of the WCO was hardly the WCO that Favre was most successful with. Minnesota will be no different. Pure WCO offenses use the short, high percentage passing game to set up the run. Minnesota does the opposite. While they do incorporate some aspects of the WCO into their offensive scheme, it is far from a more pure form of WCO that Favre has flourished in under Holmgren and McCarthy.

Bossman641
05-19-2009, 12:01 PM

CPK, the wco is a very complicated system and since Walsh invented it, it's been tinkered with by many coaches. There are various wco's in the NFL today. But I've read this one is close to the version that mike Sherman ran so it shouldn't take him long to learn it, but it will be different to him.

Don't you remember when Partial said that NFL teams only run like 5 or 6 plays though? Favre will have the offense down in a day.

rbaloha1
05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
This will only be his second system as the Vikings run the same system as the Packers do, the WCO.

Sherman's version of the WCO was hardly the WCO that Favre was most successful with. Minnesota will be no different. Pure WCO offenses use the short, high percentage passing game to set up the run. Minnesota does the opposite. While they do incorporate some aspects of the WCO into their offensive scheme, it is far from a more pure form of WCO that Favre has flourished in under Holmgren and McCarthy.

The Viking's running game allows more play action opportunities -- still a BF strength.

Gunakor
05-19-2009, 12:15 PM

The Viking's running game allows more play action opportunities -- still a BF strength.

Agreed. But history tells the tale. Brett has historically been more successful in a pure WCO system than a Sherman/Childress hybrid system. He had those same play action opportunities under Sherman when Ahman Green was at the peak of his career, with greater WR's in Driver and Walker (not to mention a TE named Bubba Franks coming off of 3 consecutive Pro Bowls), and that never translated into anything greater than a divisional round loss for him. Both coaches who implemented a more pure WCO system for our offense have seen Favre reach greater heights. It is what it is.

rbaloha1
05-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Agreed. But history tells the tale. Brett has historically been more successful in a pure WCO system than a Sherman/Childress hybrid system. He had those same play action opportunities under Sherman when Ahman Green was at the peak of his career, with greater WR's in Driver and Walker (not to mention a TE named Bubba Franks coming off of 3 consecutive Pro Bowls), and that never translated into anything greater than a divisional round loss for him. Both coaches who implemented a more pure WCO system for our offense have seen Favre reach greater heights. It is what it is.

The greatest success was when Favre was younger with Pro Bowl players like: Chewy, Jackson, Rison, Freeman, Levens and very good players like Brooks, Bebbe, etc.

A potent running game with more basic stuff allows Favre to flourish despite age and declining skills. Also a good defense (like Favre possessed during his MVP years) makes the team less reliant on Favre.

LP
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't think Favre's success has as much to do with a "pure" WCO as it is discipline. Holmgren and McCarthy held his feet to the fire and made him responsible for his mistake's. Sherman and Bevell never did, and I don't think Childress/Bevell will be any different.

Zool
05-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't think Favre's success has as much to do with a "pure" WCO as it is discipline. Holmgren and McCarthy held his feet to the fire and made him responsible for his mistake's. Sherman and Bevell never did, and I don't think Childress/Bevell will be any different.

And there it is. The reason so many Viking fans around here are not in the least bit happy about the whole thing. That and they have an undying hatred of Favre.

Fritz
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Several years ago, I was out on a lake in Minnesota, and I saw, in the distance, a man in a rent-a-boat with an outboard motor. His wife or girlfriend was sitting in the middle, paying him no mind, trying to put the oars in while he stared perplexedly at the outboard, which had clearly died. Then I saw him reach for the pull cord, just as the woman was leaning toward the back to put an oar in its lock.

There was nothing I could do. I knew damn well exactly what was going to happen, but I was too far away to be yelling and there were too many boats on the water for anyone to know whom I was yelling at.. Besides, I was mesmerized.

I saw the guy grip the cord, I saw the woman focusing on the oar and the lock in the slightly choppy water, and I saw exactly, exactly what was going to happen. It was a disaster, and I couldn't not watch.

And yes, of course it did. He yanked that outboard cord just as hard as he could, and bam! Punched that woman right in the mouth.

The weirdest part was just before it happened, knowing, just knowing, exactly what was going to happen. It was the suspension of time in the moment just before the disaster.

Yup, I remember that.

swede
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Several years ago, I was out on a lake in Minnesota, and I saw, in the distance, a man in a rent-a-boat with an outboard motor. His wife or girlfriend was sitting in the middle, paying him no mind, trying to put the oars in while he stared perplexedly at the outboard, which had clearly died. Then I saw him reach for the pull cord, just as the woman was leaning toward the back to put an oar in its lock.

There was nothing I could do. I knew damn well exactly what was going to happen, but I was too far away to be yelling and there were too many boats on the water for anyone to know whom I was yelling at.. Besides, I was mesmerized.

I saw the guy grip the cord, I saw the woman focusing on the oar and the lock in the slightly choppy water, and I saw exactly, exactly what was going to happen. It was a disaster, and I couldn't not watch.

And yes, of course it did. He yanked that outboard cord just as hard as he could, and bam! Punched that woman right in the mouth.

The weirdest part was just before it happened, knowing, just knowing, exactly what was going to happen. It was the suspension of time in the moment just before the disaster.

Yup, I remember that.

And...the Vikings are the woman's mouth and Brett Favre is the fist?

Or...are the Vikings the dead engine?

Gunakor
05-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Yup, I remember that.

Brett Favre is the dead engine. The Vikings are pulling the cord, and Rosenfels is the woman that gets punched in the mouth.

CaptainD
05-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Sorry, Cult.

I am 38 and the other forum I post on the majority are older folks . About 98% NOT backing Favre over there. I think it's really a matter of the group of fans you hang with rather then age but a great question that made me ponder a bit.

PlantPage55
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I have a hypothesis about the older generation. And I fully admit that it probably IS a stereotype, but it's my impression from living in Wisconsin and talking football with a LOT of old people.

a. Older people in Wisconsin LOVE to say "you weren't around when the Packers didn't have a quarterback for 20 years!!!"

b. Older fans in Wisconsin seem to have a VERY negative view of management. The old guys that I've talked to for years have never mentioned anything but distaste for every one of our GMs, going back to even Ron Wolf! ("all he ever did was find Brett Favre and sign Reggie White!" - yes, I've actually heard this)

They seem to side with the players on everything. Perhaps their own bias in their daily lives have pitted them against management over the years, because of what they themselves experienced in the work force?

They seem to feel that winning football has nothing to do with "guys that have never stepped on the field" - and I've had to remind a handful of them that Ted Thompson DID play football at one time. "That *** played football?!" responded one old man. :lol:

Gunakor
05-19-2009, 04:25 PM
b. Older fans in Wisconsin seem to have a VERY negative view of management. The old guys that I've talked to for years have never mentioned anything but distaste for every one of our GMs, going back to even Ron Wolf! ("all he ever did was find Brett Favre and sign Reggie White!" - yes, I've actually heard this)

What GM in the history of sports hasn't traded for a Brett Favre and signed a Reggie White? Christ, moves like these should be the bare minimum expectations of any competent GM!

They seem to feel that winning football has nothing to do with "guys that have never stepped on the field" - and I've had to remind a handful of them that Ted Thompson DID play football at one time. "That *** played football?!" responded one old man. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

For quite awhile, too!

Old people are funny sometimes :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM

I am 38 and the other forum I post on the majority are older folks . About 98% NOT backing Favre over there. I think it's really a matter of the group of fans you hang with rather then age but a great question that made me ponder a bit.

I'd agree. Most of the older fans aren't in Favre's corner like people my age (38). Unless you consider 38 to be the older folks?
:(

MJZiggy
05-19-2009, 05:50 PM

I'd agree. Most of the older fans aren't in Favre's corner like people my age (38). Unless you consider 38 to be the older folks?
:(

Old fart...

cheesner
05-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a hypothesis about the older generation. And I fully admit that it probably IS a stereotype, but it's my impression from living in Wisconsin and talking football with a LOT of old people.

a. Older people in Wisconsin LOVE to say "you weren't around when the Packers didn't have a quarterback for 20 years!!!"

They seem to side with the players on everything. Perhaps their own bias in their daily lives have pitted them against management over the years, because of what they themselves experienced in the work force?

I have a hypothesis about you. You work in an old folks home with a lot of senile dumb-asses. :D

My experience is just the opposite, the youngsters in my family back Favre and the older folks back management. All my neices and nephews are too young to remember any other QB, and growing up Favre = Packers. Us older folks were fans before Brett was even born. We feel the Packers are far bigger than any single player, or GM for that matter.

Thing is, it was time for BF to go. Had the Packers not moved on, I would have turned on TT for not making the Packers as competitive as possible. Good thing he is not the sentimental sort.

PlantPage55
05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a hypothesis about you. You work in an old folks home with a lot of senile dumb-asses. :D

My experience is just the opposite, the youngsters in my family back Favre and the older folks back management. All my neices and nephews are too young to remember any other QB, and growing up Favre = Packers. Us older folks were fans before Brett was even born. We feel the Packers are far bigger than any single player, or GM for that matter.

Thing is, it was time for BF to go. Had the Packers not moved on, I would have turned on TT for not making the Packers as competitive as possible. Good thing he is not the sentimental sort.

That's an interesting perspective too - and one that I'm sure proves that it ISN'T an age thing.

th87
05-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Strangely enough, those who are analytical about their football, and like to break down their points with statistics and quotes, for example, appear to favor TT's approach to Favre's situation.

Those who value the emotional aspect of football, with respect to loyalty, nostalgia, veneration, and entertainment value appear to side with Favre far more.

In other words, evidence versus intuition, or left brain versus right brain. Neither are superior.

These people can be young or old, so I don't think there's any way to divide it in that way.

th87
05-20-2009, 12:37 AM
It also seems odd that whoever dislikes TT in general is on Favre's side.

SnakeLH2006
05-20-2009, 01:34 AM

Yup, I remember that.

Gotta say Fritz your old ass wisdom is always worth reading, kinda like Fritz's Fables. Just legendary stuff really. :)

Nope it's prob. like this, as Snake really likes Fritz's Fables:

I've liked Brett, the player, but his shit is getting weary (like a worn out boat), kinda last gasp, but some people have strong opinions, and some are just idiots needing a reality check....

Translation:

-The boat is Brett Favre (final voyage).
-The man winding up the motor is Snake.
-The woman is CPK.
-(The Vikings and Daunte C. merely rented the boat for a one-time party). ;)

Moral of the story: Someone has to hit CPK in the mouth no matter where we stand on the Favre debacle. :shock: :lol: Please god, let it be Snake, Fritz? Please........man...please....... Decipher this ancient code/moral for us? :lol: Peace must return to PackerLand. Snake will go out the tragic hero FTW. 8-)

Harlan Huckleby
05-20-2009, 05:50 AM

Most of the people who dislike TT were fine with him until the Favre meltdown.

And curiously, they don't get mad at MM, whose opinion was probably the decisive factor in not bringing Favre back to the team.

Hmmmm, could it be that it is easier to rally hatred against one scapegoat?

RashanGary
05-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Strangely enough, those who are analytical about their football, and like to break down their points with statistics and quotes, for example, appear to favor TT's approach to Favre's situation.

Those who value the emotional aspect of football, with respect to loyalty, nostalgia, veneration, and entertainment value appear to side with Favre far more.

In other words, evidence versus intuition, or left brain versus right brain. Neither are superior.

These people can be young or old, so I don't think there's any way to divide it in that way.

Very unique and interesting post. Thanks. I didn't think much new could be added to this conversation.

retailguy
05-20-2009, 08:14 AM

And curiously, they don't get mad at MM, whose opinion was probably the decisive factor in not bringing Favre back to the team.

Well, I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I've never been a fan of Ted, but I agree with the decisions that he made related to Favre.

My opinion of Ted hasn't changed through this whole debacle, but my opinion of Favre has changed. I see Favre's point, but clearly, he's used to getting his way and is unsure of how to handle not getting his way, and has no skills on how to walk away.

Makes you wonder what it was like to live with "Big Irv". I suspect that guy was a much bigger control freak than it even appeared. His whole "clan" don't seem to have any decision making skills at all. Kinda sad.

MOBB DEEP
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM

spot-on imo

afterall, all this mess is is MERE ENTERTAINMENT! like a curb your enthusiasm episode

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
spot-on imo

afterall, all this mess is is MERE ENTERTAINMENT! like a curb your enthusiasm episode

It is a little like Curb Your Enthusiasm. Neither guy has had a hit since the Seinfeld went off the air.

pbmax
05-20-2009, 09:01 AM

Tank, Bretsky and Woodbuck disagree. Bretzky respectfully, Woodbuck at great length and Tank by questioning your parentage and Ted's sexuality.

RashanGary
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Tank, Bretsky and Woodbuck disagree. Bretzky respectfully, Woodbuck at great length and Tank by questioning your parentage and Ted's sexuality.

:lol:

Fritz
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Yup, I remember that.

Gotta say Fritz your old ass wisdom is always worth reading, kinda like Fritz's Fables. Just legendary stuff really. :)

I've liked Brett, the player, but his shit is getting weary (like a worn out boat), kinda last gasp, but some people have strong opinions, and some are just idiots needing a reality check....

Translation:

-The woman is CPK.

Moral of the story: Someone has to hit CPK in the mouth no matter where we stand on the Favre debacle. :shock: :lol: Please god, let it be Snake, Fritz? Please........man...please....... Decipher this ancient code/moral for us? :lol: Peace must return to PackerLand. Snake will go out the tragic hero FTW. 8-)

Actually, I thought I was on this website called "WalterBrennan.com" where us oldsters sit around with our stained brown teeth (the ones we have) and share pointless stories. I didn't realize I was on a thread about Brett Favre; nor did I realize later that day that I'd peed my pants, so when I was walking around Walmart, peering over the tops of my horn-rimmed glasses trying to find the Metamucil, I couldn't figure out why people kept cringing as I went past.

Dagnabbit.

Doh!

Patler
05-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Actually, I thought I was on this website called "WalterBrennan.com" where us oldsters sit around with our stained brown teeth (the ones we have) and share pointless stories. I didn't realize I was on a thread about Brett Favre; nor did I realize later that day that I'd peed my pants, so when I was walking around Walmart, peering over the tops of my horn-rimmed glasses trying to find the Metamucil, I couldn't figure out why people kept cringing as I went past.

Dagnabbit.

Doh!

The Metamucil is in the aisle next to the aisle with "Depends". The "Depends". You might want to make a note of that and pick up a box.

cpk1994
05-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Yup, I remember that.

Translation:

-The woman is CPK.

Dagnabbit.

Doh!Are you going to be come a greeter there then?