PDA

View Full Version : Gmail ?

GrnBay007
07-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I think I remember someone on here talking about having Gmail. Correct, or did I imagine that? Anyway, if anyone does have it, do you like it? Any comments......

Fosco33
07-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I have one - the initial Beta version from an employee friend at Google.

It has a ton of storage capacity (2700 MBs) and has the standard email functionality (with a very good spam filter). In addition, it automatically uses VoIP for computer-computer voice chat - as clear as your cell phone and - FREE.

I'd say the only drawback to date is all the adds that appear based on it's presumptions of your topics - what I mean is that you may be typing one thing and Google presumes it means another - you know what happens when you presume - you make an ass of u and me.

I've got like 90 or so invitations left. PM if you're interested...

Partial
07-16-2006, 11:29 PM
I love it. You can search it using google search which is just awesome. It has excellent mail reader support as well. I use Apple's Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird. It's awesome!!

GBRulz
07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Can it be used with Outlook? My ISP has port 25 blocking, so I can only use their SMTP servers. using gmail would be considered 3rd party email, so it probably won't work. I'm an Outlook nut, can't help it!
In fact, for my own website I'm trying to set up some SMTP delay settings hoping it will bypass my ISP's servers as I hate fetching mail via a web based email client.

GBRulz
07-17-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm shocked at B, being the computer expert that he is....didn't think this was Grail Mail :wink:

GrnBay007
07-17-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm shocked at B, being the computer expert that he is....didn't think this was Grail Mail :wink:

LOL good one!

Partial
07-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Use thunderbird. That is weird about your ISP. I say give it a whirl and see what happens. PM me for an invite, it's worth checking out.

GBRulz
07-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Use thunderbird. That is weird about your ISP. I say give it a whirl and see what happens. PM me for an invite, it's worth checking out.

I'm not familiar with Thunderbird. I dislike web-based email clients though.

Actually, Partial, quite a few ISP's have port 25 blocking in place as an attempt to combat spam. I need to call SBC, er AT&T now, and see if I can have that removed. Great.... I get to talk to Bharadwaj who says his name is Brian....

Little Whiskey
07-18-2006, 08:26 AM

funny, I thought the same thing. He must be slipping in his old age

GBRulz
07-20-2006, 12:41 PM

funny, I thought the same thing. He must be slipping in his old age

yeah, he's pushing 60 I think. Soon, I'll be able to take him to Kohl's monthly senior citizen day, so i can get an extra 15% off on my purchases.