PDA

View Full Version : Favre'e X-Rays: A Second Opinion?

pbmax
05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
If Brett Favre has X-Rays of his shoulder, then he clearly has seen a doctor. He therefore has a diagnosis. If I recall correctly, the Jet's Doctors recommended surgery if he planned to play this year.

Why does he need to hear what Minnesota's Doctors think about this? What does he hope to hear that he either hasn't heard or doesn't believe?

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Maybe he needs to pass their physical.

Fritz
05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Her's the link to a story and my response on another thread:

This must be the right thread - breaking news - to put this link in:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl/20090508/Vikings-Favre/

The latest is another rumor - this time that Favre sent x-rays to Minnesota so they could have their medical people evaluate them. If they decided it might heal without surgery in time for him to play (starting with training camp, I suppose), then he'd consider a comeback. If, though, they felt it needed a surgical fix, then he wasn't interested.

Of course I - and most others - have no idea if it's true. But the idea of it jibes with something a friend of mine pointed out last night - Favre is very afraid of the knife. He's been hurt like crazy many times and has pretty consistently refused surgeries (I think there have been a couple of instances he's opted out of surgery). So it might be that he wants to come back but not if it requires surgery;

Or maybe it's just another rumor. Nobody really knows much now, maybe not even Favre himself.

By the by, MJ Zigs agrees with my friend's "surgery fear" theory.

Scott Campbell
05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd be happy to take care of it for him.

http://www.fantasycolours.co.uk/images/uploads/Chainsaw2.jpg

rbaloha1
05-09-2009, 11:52 AM
IMO this takes emotion out of the decision and relies on medical science.

pbmax
05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Yes Fritz, he had a bad reaction to a previous surgery or something along those lines. He has had surgery since (last I recall was to clean out his ankle) but I remember as you do that he has chosen other options when he could.

My concern is this: Favre is not Chad Pennington and he will not play well with a noodle instead of the usual cannon. Look at the end of the season. Also remember that he injured it earlier in the year, and almost weekly had throws that made the Favre Game Day threads where he didn't have the old zip, even if he was to recover and make better throws later in the game.

I know nothing of how he feels, but my first instinct is that he will suffer if he plays through this rather than get it corrected. My fear in this vein is that Favre hopes the Vikes will clear him without surgery and he gives it a go. I think he struggles in this case.

The other likely scenario is that his shoulder hasn't improved and there is concern that something along the lines of Bedard's source could be correct; something not as simple as snipping a tendon. But for an up to date evaluation, you would need current pictures.

mngolf19
05-09-2009, 09:49 PM
As Ras stated in another post, I am starting to wish for some clarification on this either way. Always thought it was funny when it was you guys. :?

Fritz
05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
As Ras stated in another post, I am starting to wish for some clarification on this either way. Always thought it was funny when it was you guys. :?

Ah, yes. Your turn. But if you're lucky it will turn out to be mercifully short. I thought it was over until the new rumors about Favre sending medical reports or x-rays to the Minnesota medical staff.

Chapter Four of Book III coming right up!

MadScientist
05-11-2009, 01:51 PM
IMO this takes emotion out of the decision and relies on medical science.
If the doctor is a Packers fan, he could always say it looks like the major surgery is the way to go, to keep Favre out for good. :D

cpk1994
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
As Ras stated in another post, I am starting to wish for some clarification on this either way. Always thought it was funny when it was you guys. :?Even the St. Paul Poineer Press had an article on Sunday saying that Childress needs to come and say what the hell is going on.

Noodle
05-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Here's the thing on the injury. He doesn't need time to heal. The problem is a partially torn biceps tendon. There are three ways to fix it -- (1) keep throwing and hope the thing tears completely, thus relieving all the pain caused by the tendon flaring up; (2) go in with the knife and cut the tendon, which would immediatley provide the relief he could get by doing No. 1, but would take him out of action for a month or so; or (3) go in with the knife and re-attach the tendon, which would put him on the beach for months and put an end to his playing this year.

I'm no doctor, but I watch a lot of TV, so you can pretty much bank on the above.

Anyway, he doesn't need the tendon to be attached to throw well. If he's serious about playing, his options are pretty clear, and I'm not sure why the Vikes need to see an x-ray. What they need to see is a commitment from Favre.

Sooo, I'm thinking this is just a way to give the Vikes a graceful way to say, thanks, but no thanks.

Bossman641
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Sooo, I'm thinking this is just a way to give the Vikes a graceful way to say, thanks, but no thanks.

Your last sentence got me thinking. Do the Vikings need Favre more than Favre needs the Vikings or vice versa?

cpk1994
05-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Your last sentence got me thinking. Do the Vikings need Favre more than Favre needs the Vikings or vice versa?I think Favre needs the Vikings more than the Vikes need Favre. If the VIkes really wanted Favre, they probably wouldn't have traded for Rosenfels and instead found someone on the FA market. If they wanted Brett badly enough, they would have sought permission from the Jets to talk to him.

Partial
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't think they wanted to pay three first round picks for him :wink:

cpk1994
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't think they wanted to pay three first round picks for him :wink:That certainly is true, but I think trading for Rosenfels and then giving him an extension would not have been done if the Vikings badly wanted him.

Partial
05-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think they wanted to pay three first round picks for him :wink:That certainly is true, but I think trading for Rosenfels and then giving him an extension would not have been done if the Vikings badly wanted him.

I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever. Favre wasn't available as a free agent when they made that move. They were not allowed to speak to him unless the Jets granted them permission.

Scott Campbell
05-11-2009, 05:07 PM

I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever. Favre wasn't available as a free agent when they made that move. They were not allowed to speak to him unless the Jets granted them permission.

That didn't stop them last year.

cpk1994
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM

That didn't stop them last year.True. :lol:

pbmax
05-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Noodle may be right, but I'd like to ask Mr.AR for a second opinion.

But remember Bedard has an actual source that told him the damage appears to be visible and worse than otherwise described.

Of course, there is a clergyman friend of Favre commenting today that it only hampers certain kinds of throws (or arm motion). And he was practicing with the High School team again.

I take this all to mean that Favre will definitely not play, unless he changes his mind. And his arm may fall off; while throwing for 4,000 yards.

Brett Favre: Quantum Mechanics For Dummies

cpk1994
05-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Noodle may be right, but I'd like to ask Mr.AR for a second opinion.

But remember Bedard has an actual source that told him the damage appears to be visible and worse than otherwise described.

Of course, there is a clergyman friend of Favre commenting today that it only hampers certain kinds of throws (or arm motion). And he was practicing with the High School team again.

I take this all to mean that Favre will definitely not play, unless he changes his mind. And his arm may fall off; while throwing for 4,000 yards.

Brett Favre: Quantum Mechanics For Dummies

Wait, since when does Bedard have a source? :lol:

pbmax
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Wait, since when does Bedard have a source? :lol:
I was shocked as well. Could be just in his head.