PDA

View Full Version : The Packers

mission
05-11-2009, 12:28 PM
What's going on with them? You know, our team... ?

Anything out of the rookie camp / meetings? Info? How's the D interacting with the new coaches? Anyone got any news on this front? KY? Waldo?

Wish the mods/admit would just delete half this Brett Favre shit. Cluttered ass board with a bunch of nonsense. KILLS the board.

RashanGary
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
OTA's start in two weeks. We'll get the daily reports from the news papers then. We should start getting reports about who is in great shape, who's injured and things like that because non-participants will be noted in the media and the Packers do a good job making players available to the media after practice.

Right now, NOTHING.

Then, After the 4 weeks of OTA's and 1 week of minicamp, it will be 4 weeks off before TC and TC is always a fun time of the year.

It's really a down time right now. Boring

retailguy
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
just for kicks, I counted the number of posts in the Favre related threads on the front page only.... 764 replies to the various topics. Guess that would mean that your viewpoint is "in the minority?".... :shock:

apparently people really do want to talk about Favre.... or maybe they'd just stop responding? :tup:

I truthfully don't know what is going on with the Packers, because they're not talking about what is going on with the Packers..... Love him, or hate him, but Bus Cook is talking about Favre. Maybe Ted should let the marketing guys talk? Or, maybe, Ted should talk? :P

Scott Campbell
05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
OTA's start in two weeks. We'll get the daily reports from the news papers then. We should start getting reports about who is in great shape, who's injured and things like that because non-participants will be noted in the media and the Packers do a good job making players available to the media after practice.

Right now, NOTHING.

Then, After the 4 weeks of OTA's and 1 week of minicamp, it will be 4 weeks off before TC and TC is always a fun time of the year.

I agree. As soon as their is something else to talk about, we'll talk about it. The Favre threads won't go away, but they won't be the only game in town in anymore.

Lurker64
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
This is a really dead time for actual football news. You'll see this for every team that isn't currently having a camp (or didn't just have a camp) there's really no news out of any of them. We're no different.

There's always a lull after the draft, but since the NFL is a 365 day season these days, whatever is the biggest story will get latched onto by the football starved masses.

mission
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
JH - that makes sense, I'll wait it out.

RG - There's nothing else to contribute to. There are a zillion replies but who is that? 20-30 people, max. 20% of them contributing 80% of it.

I mean, if there's nothing to talk about, there's nothing to talk about. Either way, Brett Favre doesn't have much to do with us anymore. Yeah, he could potentially play for a division rival and that could affect us, but let's face it, the conversation isn't centered around that.

Yall know I'm not against off topic, I bullshit plenty ... I'm just venting again. Was hoping someone had some news/info/links/whatnot.

retailguy
05-11-2009, 01:22 PM

RG - There's nothing else to contribute to. There are a zillion replies but who is that? 20-30 people, max. 20% of them contributing 80% of it.

I mean, if there's nothing to talk about, there's nothing to talk about. Either way, Brett Favre doesn't have much to do with us anymore. Yeah, he could potentially play for a division rival and that could affect us, but let's face it, the conversation isn't centered around that.

Yall know I'm not against off topic, I bullshit plenty ... I'm just venting again. Was hoping someone had some news/info/links/whatnot.

Wasn't trying to argue with you Mission, hope it didn't come off that way?

I get tired of it too, but hey, the drama will never end. apparently.

I guess I have a lot of tolerance for the whole Favre issue. Favre was a big part of this franchise for a long time. I kind of think if forums existed when Lombardi was coaching, we'd have talked about the Redskins too.

Fritz
05-11-2009, 01:41 PM
It is the down time, so if you're an NFL junkie, the Favre stuff is all there is. And it is kind of interesting...kind of a guy soap opera.

I did hear that James Jones is in great shape and MM is excited about him. Not in a sexual way, of course. In only the most manly of ways....

hoosier
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
It is the down time, so if you're an NFL junkie, the Favre stuff is all there is. And it is kind of interesting...kind of a guy soap opera.

I did hear that James Jones is in great shape and MM is excited about him. Not in a sexual way, of course. In only the most manly of ways....

After Fox televised that image of an unwitting Childress checking out Visanthe Shiancoe in the lockerroom, I suppose this always bear mentioning. :lol:

LL2
05-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Right now, NOTHING.

THANK GOD it will not be like last summer!

I agree. As soon as their is something else to talk about, we'll talk about it. The Favre threads won't go away, but they won't be the only game in town in anymore.

Scott Campbell
05-11-2009, 01:51 PM
This is a really dead time for actual football news. You'll see this for every team that isn't currently having a camp (or didn't just have a camp) there's really no news out of any of them. We're no different.

There's always a lull after the draft, but since the NFL is a 365 day season these days, whatever is the biggest story will get latched onto by the football starved masses.

Then we get the early part of camp and OTA's - fluff pieces. Reporters will compete to see who can best blow smoke up our asses.

RashanGary
05-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Source

pbmax
05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
For Mission:

McCarthy has a manly crush on Capers.

Kampman is still mum on the switch to OLB, which I take to mean he would like to have some sort of idea whether or not he is going to be embarrassed by the move, and possibly be made less rich in the process.

Capers and the position coaches told Matthews and Raji that they would not be far behind the vets learning the new D, so they would have a chance to play quite a bit.

Despite quite a bit of draft weekend confusion over who would go where to get Pickett and Raji on the field together, the latest talk from McCarthy is that Raji would be able to man a 5 technique end in the 3-4. Pickett seems to be the starter at NG right now and there was no talk over the rookie camp weekend of him moving to end. But most other observers see Pickett and Raji together at tackle in those cases when we return to a 4-3 front.

However, that would mean Jenkins would be on the field less for pass rush at DT and you would alter the normal blitz confusion of 2 OLBs. But this is probably just an area of natural transition when your best veteran interior pass rusher might get bumped by the rookie NT. And you best vet rush OLB might be better with his hand in the dirt.

Jamon Meredith gave a great interview to the GBPG (I think it was them) in which he strongly denied his reputation as a locker room lawyer. He is obviously a smart guy, and I like him for that reason alone.

But there is also another possibility here. If Jamon was smart and unable to hold his tongue, I can see that getting him into trouble in college. It might have been exacerbated by being an African American playing in South Carolina for a head coach from the South (no, I have no personal experience, this is just conjecture). But in the NFL, there will be other people (mostly teammates) just as talented, just as smart, who can show him how to walk the line and get along. Also, as a fifth round pick, he doesn't have much leverage. I hope he makes it work.

KYPack
05-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Mish, I was intending to start a thread about the fullbacks. This kid they drafted is supposed to be pretty good and Kuhn or Hall could well be awalkin'.

I wanted to start a non-old-QB-lookin'-for-a-job thread. You beat me to it, Bro. I'll just post my stuff in this one.

Yeah, let's talk football and not bullshit.

Fritz
05-12-2009, 06:35 AM
JH, I believe that the Jones stuff came from a JSO blog. Or maybe I made it up because I have my own man-crush on Jones. Let's pretend it's true though, okay?

Questions: Did the Packers actually sign Carson Butler, the former U-Mich tight end? How about Oziokor or whoever he is, that linebacker from A & M?

Why are all of us - me included - assuming a fifth round fullback will automatically make the team and be a big thumper? Is this the usual pre-pre-season optimism?

Finally, who will be the late-round or undrafted FA who everyone thinks will surely get some snaps this season, based on OTA's or pre-season games, and then ends up on the practice squad, or worse yet, never heard from again?

There needs to be an award for that. I would say "The Michael Hawkins Award" but he didn't even look good in pre-season. He was just fast. Who was last year's training camp flash-in-the-pan?

cpk1994
05-12-2009, 07:55 AM

Yall know I'm not against off topic, I bullshit plenty ... I'm just venting again. Was hoping someone had some news/info/links/whatnot.I think my eye has started to involutarily twitch becuase of your avatar. :lol:

GrnBay007
05-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Yall know I'm not against off topic, I bullshit plenty ... I'm just venting again. Was hoping someone had some news/info/links/whatnot.I think my eye has started to involutarily twitch becuase of your avatar. :lol:

Knowing how much you hate Favre, I think you had some other type of reaction.

Better go clean off your keyboard.

cpk1994
05-12-2009, 08:23 AM

Better go clean off your keyboard.Nope, its just an eye twitch. I don't get off on a display of assault of anyone.

Partial
05-12-2009, 08:26 AM

Better go clean off your keyboard.

Naughty :lol:

pbmax
05-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Questions: Did the Packers actually sign Carson Butler, the former U-Mich tight end? How about Oziokor or whoever he is, that linebacker from A & M?

47 Carson Butler TE 6-4 255 22 R Michigan FA-09
49 Cyril Obiozor LB 6-4 267 22 R Texas A&M FA-09

I hope he gets to keep that number. LBs in the 40s are cool, the NFL numbering system is not.

Why are all of us - me included - assuming a fifth round fullback will automatically make the team and be a big thumper? Is this the usual pre-pre-season optimism?

Yes. And boredom.

To prove my point, let me inform you that I am actually breathlessly waiting for KYPack to post his information on the fullback situation. I even went looking for the article I read about it last night, but failed to find it. This is not a normal state of affairs.

cpk1994
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM

I did hear that James Jones is in great shape and MM is excited about him. Not in a sexual way, of course. In only the most manly of ways....Not that there is anything wrong with that.

BobDobbs
05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Finally, who will be the late-round or undrafted FA who everyone thinks will surely get some snaps this season, based on OTA's or pre-season games, and then ends up on the practice squad, or worse yet, never heard from again?

There needs to be an award for that. I would say "The Michael Hawkins Award" but he didn't even look good in pre-season. He was just fast. Who was last year's training camp flash-in-the-pan?

Post draft speculation is a good time. We get to go off of highlight reels and interviews. Remember when James Jones was drafted and he had this massive highlight reel and then all of a sudden you notice, 'Hey he's just roasting one guy in the same game over and over."

I think Jarius Wynn is my early nomination for the Michael Hawkins Award. He'll get to make some plays against other fourth stringers and some press, but ultimately he'll be on the practice squad.

Another possible candidate is Brad Jones he's good with the media, excited about special teams, and as a linebacker he'll get a lot of opportunity to make some plays in the preseason. But, we're bringing back all our linebackers from last year, we've added Matthews, and some of our DL from last year are now LBs. Where is this guys roster spot?

Here's a question. Who's going to be this years sleeper pick. That can take a couple years to sort out, but every year someone comes to camp and outplays their draft status like Jennings did. Last year I'd say it was Sitton although I thought it would be Finley(ouch). This year I'm thinking Jamon Meredith is ready to surprise some people. He seemed really mature when I saw him interviewed and we really need an heir apparent at LT, so there is some hope mixed in there.

Bossman641
05-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I like the suggestion of a Michael Hawkins award but suggest we rename it the Michael "Neon Deion" Hawkins award in honor of JH.

No harm meant JH.