PDA

View Full Version : Packers’ Collins Says His Absence From Workouts Is Family-Re

packers11
05-11-2009, 03:09 PM
pft.com

Packers’ Collins Says His Absence From Workouts Is Family-Related
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 11, 2009, 4:04 p.m.

Green Bay Packers Pro Bowl safety Nick Collins, who’s reportedly disgruntled with his unresolved contract status, denied that his contract is the reason why he hasn’t been a mainstay at voluntary offseason workouts.

According to Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Collins claimed that he has personal reasons for not attending the offseason program. Collins is heading into the final year of his original rookie contract and is due a $3.045 million base salary.

“I had some family issues, don’t really want to talk about it,” Collins said today. “(The family issues) are the problem. … The contract was never an issue. Y’all are the ones writing all that stuff about a contract. I haven’t said a word about a contract so my thing is I have family issues that I’m taking care of and that’s what I’m dealing with.”

Collins declined to specify what sort of family problems he’s dealing with, but said it has nothing to do with his wife recently giving birth to their third child.

However, Collins made no guarantees that he would be at upcoming team activities due to the family issues and said he has an “understanding” with the coaching staff.

It’s worth noting that Packers coach Mike McCarthy said recently that a “business situation,” was at the heart of why Collins hasn’t been around.

pbmax
05-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I have no reason to doubt Collins, generally. But specifically in this case, his coach called the situation a "business matter" that did not fall under his purview. He would seem to have no reason to misrepresent Collins staying away because of a personal matter.

SkinBasket
05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I have no reason to doubt Collins, generally. But specifically in this case, his coach called the situation a "business matter" that did not fall under his purview. He would seem to have no reason to misrepresent Collins staying away because of a personal matter.

When people become monetarily successful so quickly, I think your family and business mingle more than is typically the case. So it could be one and the same.

The bigger point here is that it doesn't matter, because obviously the Packers and Collins know what they need to know and don't feel the need to let everyone else know the details. Which means the flock of beat writers you have sitting around for a few month pulling their puds have to start throwing some darts. This has all the makings of a dart toss "story."

Joemailman
05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
MM has always done a good job of not overreacting to guys not attending voluntary off-season functions. Overall, I'd say that has worked reel for him. Collins' absence isn't a real issue unless he misses mandatory work. I don't think it will happen.

falco
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't believe Collins, but still think is a non-issue right now. I suspect he's posturing, but will be at training camp.

pbmax
05-11-2009, 09:02 PM
MM has always done a good job of not overreacting to guys not attending voluntary off-season functions. Overall, I'd say that has worked reel for him. Collins' absence isn't a real issue unless he misses mandatory work. I don't think it will happen.
He did have his moment with Al Harris and OTAs his first year. He was getting fed up being pestered and he eventually declared that Al would be present for the OTAs, eventually to be proven wrong until Al got a bump in salary.

It looked like a bad moment and weakness, but as you point out, he has learned quickly to say quite a bit about not much at all. :lol:

SkinBasket
05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Falco, you are freaking me the fuck out with whatever that lesbian in your avatar is.

mission
05-12-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't believe Collins, but still think is a non-issue right now. I suspect he's posturing, but will be at training camp.

Agreed. He's bullshittin ... it's like me telling my girl I'm at the studio. What she gonna say after that?

8-)

Fritz
05-12-2009, 06:25 AM
First, on the avatars....

Mission, that's completely hilarious. Completely.

Falco, is that Bo Burnum on yours, and not a lesbian? (Unless Bo Burnham is a lesbian.)

As for Collins's situation, what was most interesting to me was the way the two papers (JSO and GBPG) slanted the story so differently. The JSO cast this is as Collins having some kind of family matter that caused him to not show. The idea was that Collins was adamant that this was not business-related. MM's comments that maybe it was, in part, business related, were seen as a coach protecting his player's home life/privacy.

The GBPG went the opposite way - Nick wants a new contract, dammit! They highlighted a comment or two he made about players having good years and wanting to cash in.

These articles should be enlightening if there's anyone out there who still thinks that newspapers simply report "the truth," whatever that is.

bigcoz75
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
He was at Edison middle school here in Green Bay yesterday along with Poppinga, Jordy, and Mark Murphy to kick off this years tailgate tour. It seems like this will be a non issue.

BobDobbs
05-12-2009, 03:33 PM
I believe him for whatever that's worth. I think he told them he wants a new contract and they told him it was possible but not now. Obviously they have to sign the rookies first and then Jennings.

He might not like it, but clearly the team has to get a look at all the d guys in the new defense before we extend them. If he plays like he did last year they's be foolish to let him hit UFA.

He probably knows all that. His best chance at leverage is to get to know the new D as quickly as possible, light it up on the field, and then get that fat contract. Hopefully whatever he's dealing with isn't too much of a distraction.

falco
05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Falco, is that Bo Burnum on yours, and not a lesbian? (Unless Bo Burnham is a lesbian.)

It is. Bo is the apex of comedy right now. I plan on seeing him this fall.

SnakeLH2006
05-14-2009, 03:38 AM

It is. Bo is the apex of comedy right now. I plan on seeing him this fall.

Snake still agrees with Skin on this. It's still kinda creepy how your avatar is more creepy than what Skin writes. Now that is a mindfuck!

pbmax
05-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Usually, when someone says its not about the money, its about the money.

Family Issue Or Not, Nick Collins Wouldn’t Be With The Packers
Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2009, 9:16 p.m.

...“As always, family comes first and foremost with Nick, as it should. But despite any other issues or concerns, Nick would not be attending the offseason program — regardless of any family matters,” Dave Butz told Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal.

“For now, unless the team is willing to at least discuss the contract situation, we don’t see any need for Nick to participate on the field....

via Jason Wilde, Wisconsin State Journal (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers//451386)

falco
05-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Usually, when someone says its not about the money, its about the money.

Family Issue Or Not, Nick Collins Wouldn’t Be With The Packers
Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2009, 9:16 p.m.

...“As always, family comes first and foremost with Nick, as it should. But despite any other issues or concerns, Nick would not be attending the offseason program — regardless of any family matters,” Dave Butz told Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal.

“For now, unless the team is willing to at least discuss the contract situation, we don’t see any need for Nick to participate on the field....

via Jason Wilde, Wisconsin State Journal (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers//451386)

Boy, I don't know if I agree. I don't really see anyway Collins gets paid before mid-season, and I think he's only hurting himself by missing out right now.