PDA

View Full Version : Poppy

Joemailman
05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Damn, I wish everybody had this guy's attitude. He has his limitations, but he's a great team guy who can be a really valuable role player.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44791127.html

packers04
05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
pop's one of my favorite packers, he bleeds green and gold

Packnut
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Great attitude, to bad he has ZERO talent. Can't tackle. Can't dis-engage. Can't make ANY plays behind the line. NEVER forces fumbles. All he does is take up space, yet people love him cause he's a great guy. Has'nt made one game changing play but let's keep him around cause he talks a great game..........

Pacopete4
05-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Great attitude, to bad he has ZERO talent. Can't tackle. Can't dis-engage. Can't make ANY plays behind the line. NEVER forces fumbles. All he does is take up space, yet people love him cause he's a great guy. Has'nt made one game changing play but let's keep him around cause he talks a great game..........

you are dead on with you analysis... and he'd bleed whatever the teams color that stupid enough to keep him on their roster.. I mean it is the guys living and all.

Brandon494
05-12-2009, 08:27 PM

you are dead on with you analysis... and he'd bleed whatever the teams color that stupid enough to keep him on their roster.. I mean it is the guys living and all.

Yea lets just sign a pro bowler at every position. :roll:

Pacopete4
05-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Yea lets just sign a pro bowler at every position. :roll:

so you're happy with his play?

bobblehead
05-12-2009, 09:17 PM

yea, spot on as usual. This guy is actually pretty fricking strong against the run....go back and watch the NFC Championship game and tell me who it was stuffing the run all day to the strong side again.

He had a bad run at the end of last year, but the first 9 weeks he was a stud, and likely he will start and be pretty strong this season as well...but hey, you are a better judge of talent then TT or MM.

Scott Campbell
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM
He played at BYU, so the day he get's cut will be my favorite day of his tenure.

Waldo
05-13-2009, 12:24 AM

He's one of the best linebackers at gap control.

Watch, his gap is NEVER run on successfully.

He is absolutely outstanding at that.

No other Packer is even close.

rbaloha1
05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
The team drafted 2 olb along with some free agents. Pop gets cut. While Pop made strides his lack of ball awareness is too much of liability.

Joemailman
05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
They will probably keep 9 linebackers. I'll be surprised if Pop isn't one of them.

Partial
05-13-2009, 02:07 AM
No way does Popp get cut imo. He's an undeappreciated player with a tiny contract and does things the right way.

Merlin
05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
The days of keeping mediocre players with good attitudes and good work ethic are over. You can be a tub of lard and come into camp out of shape and then mysteriously get "injured" until the regular season starts and still play for this team. Many very good locker room guys were cut over the past 4 years, and their replacements, haven't exactly shown they were any better.

Give Thompson a bunch of mediocre football players who are hard workers with good attitudes, and he will give you a championship caliber team. Wait no, that's the Patriots, never mind...

Fritz
05-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Dude controls gaps like an orthodontist.

SkinBasket
05-13-2009, 08:13 AM

Dude controls gaps like an orthodontist.

It's probably because he's too confused to move. He doesn't get cut though. As much as I've despised his play as a starter, he's a perfect back-up. Great attitude, seems to have leadership value, and isn't so bad that you'll lose a game because he has to come in. He's simply been a guy that fills some space and runs around a little - which is when he looks confused and out of place. Sure, I would like a LB with a larger set of skills, but don't forget that for how unimpressed some of us have been with Poppinga, the other guys still have to prove they're better in something other than a college game.

sharpe1027
05-13-2009, 08:48 AM

What got you so fired up? Just because he gets some recognition for having a good attitude? Nobody says he's a probowler.

Even so, he beat out Chillar, who was a starter before coming to GB. Something tells me he plays better than you think. Ever stop to consider that none of the LBers made plays behind the line of scrimmage or big plays in general? Couldn't possibly be the scheme and coaching....or maybe it could?

Poppinga has gotten better every year and does somethings very well and others rather poorly. Maybe he'll finally get beat out this year. That still won't change the fact that he was a dependable starter that did the job asked of him even if the job wasn't designed to fill up the stat sheet.

ThunderDan
05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
He played at BYU, so the day he get's cut will be my favorite day of his tenure.

Why??? The Mormon's love polygamy.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2009, 07:19 PM

I'm a Utah Man. We hate BYU.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm a Utah Man. We hate BYU.

Tough being the little brother.

Deputy Nutz
05-13-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't mind Poppinga especially now in the 3-4. I understand his limitations, he was a rush backer coming out of college, he had his hand down in a 4-3 for BYU until his senior year where they switched to a 3-4. What he does well is play on the line of scrimmage taking on tight ends and lead fullbacks. He isn't a super athlete, he isn't going to excel in pass coverage, especially in a Bob Sander's system where he has to make split decisions in coverage. If he is required to sit in the flat and take any receiver in the general area.

The bottom line is that Poppinga still has a skill set to contribute to this defense, like I said I think he benefits the most out of any of the returning starters with the move to the 3-4. He will play about 40% of all the snaps, Mathews will probably play more on early downs with teams that show a tendency to pass on those downs.

With the addition of Clay Mathews to this linebacking core I think there is some really good talent and the position is at least solidified going into training camp.

SnakeLH2006
05-14-2009, 03:06 AM

Sorry so many tore ya up about Popps, but that sir, is QFT.

At some point even the best examples of "good people persons" who seem great, but don't deliver the goods gotta break free and deliver what they must do to make us happy. Everyone has a gift.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/33ce/SS.Showgirls.jpg