PDA

View Full Version : Craig Berry Gets call From PACKERS

woodbuck27
07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
BERRY GETS CALL FROM PACKERS

By ADAM ZAGORIA / HERALD NEWS

Craig Berry wasn't selected in Thursday's NFL Supplemental Draft, but he still drew interest from an NFL franchise. The Green Bay Packers called Berry's agent Thursday to invite him to a workout next week.

"I'm extremely excited," said the 6-foot-6, 340-pound Berry, a North Haledon resident who played at Manchester High School.

"I'll work out anywhere from 15 minutes to a half an hour and they said if they like what they see, I might sign for the team to go into camp."

NFL training camps start in two weeks.

Only one player, Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, was chosen in the supplemental draft. The Cincinnati Bengals chose Brooks with the 22nd pick in the third round of the draft. Brooks totaled 234 tackles and 13 sacks in three years at Virginia.

The supplemental draft is for players who, for various reasons, were not eligible for April's NFL Draft.

In Berry's case, he withdrew from the University of Connecticut midway through his junior year in December for academic reasons. Berry started the better part of two seasons on the offensive line at UConn.

He drew initial interest from seven NFL teams, but the Packers were the only one to call as of late Thursday afternoon.

"If (Berry) does well, they're plan on signing him," said Berry's agent, Pat Capra of the Lunar Sports Group in Hoboken.

"They do have a spot at tackle."

Fosco33
07-17-2006, 12:16 AM
WB-

As you mentioned in another thread on Berry, with his weight will he 'fit' with the new zone blocking scheme or does his size play to a disadvantage?

Also, what's the NFL life for a guy of this size? I was acquaintances w/ Gibby and, while a massive human being 6'6'' and 370 lbs, his body couldn't really handle the wear and tear (38 games total in 7 years!).

Do you think the Dorsey connection w/ GB will really help here OR are is this just another workout (as a favor)?

woodbuck27
07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
WB-

As you mentioned in another thread on Berry, with his weight will he 'fit' with the new zone blocking scheme or does his size play to a disadvantage?

Also, what's the NFL life for a guy of this size? I was acquaintances w/ Gibby and, while a massive human being 6'6'' and 370 lbs, his body couldn't really handle the wear and tear (38 games total in 7 years!).

Do you think the Dorsey connection w/ GB will really help here OR are is this just another workout (as a favor)?

I don't believe alot will happen here Fosco33.

He is as you pointed out, not exactly a fit for what we're hearing they need for the ZBS. He's heavy.

Do they see something in this fella or are they playing the "we are busy" card?

It's certainly prudent to bring him in, because there is more than likely going to be some heat on, to give it or look at every possibility on the OL for obvious reasons.

I'm not really excited over a tryout for Craig Berry Fosco33. We will see others brought in for a look see at OL I expect, and at other spots. I do believe that TT will make more steps than we saw last season to upgrade OUR personnel. This is one of those steps.

CaliforniaCheez
07-17-2006, 05:24 AM
Interesting as some players will have to be cut to sign all the draft picks.

woodbuck27
07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Interesting as some players will have to be cut to sign all the draft picks.

Yes ! Very interesting.

TC will be exciting this August.

It's getting closer - a week from this Friday.