PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cocktail Recipe

RashanGary
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I enjoy red wine, it's been my drink of choice but I've recently started drinking marinis here and there.

GBM and I were hitting the vodka gimlets at the poster game. The other night I drank a few vodka martinis at Brett Favre steakhouse. I'm really warming up to the dry vodka drinks.

I used to drink beer, but it's so darn filling I'm slowly moving up the alcohol food chain.

I'm going to go get a bottle of bombay Saphire and vermouth to take with me up north over memorial day weekend to drink while playing hold'em. Jim Rome is always talking about how great those bombay martinis are. I'm going to go 3:1 Gin to Vermouth, stirred not shaken, extremely chilled using ice made of distilled water and a twist of lemon. I understand that is a fan-freakin-tastic cocktail. I know a lot of people prefer less vermouth and more gin but I'm not there yet. I need a little flavor in my drink and I don't know how much I'd enjoy straight gin.

Anyone got any all time favorites?

Partial
05-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I was just gonna comment on Romie as soon as I saw the Bombay.

hoosier
05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Single malt scotch, preferrably from Islay.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Ty has many fav cocktails...depends on the time, place, food, etc.

Compari and soda
Tullamore Dew
Ketel X twist
Fernet-Branca
Caipirinha
Michelada

MJZiggy
05-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Anyone remember the recipe for a REAL long island iced tea?

digitaldean
05-13-2009, 08:57 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/RKNL9C2DE935U

One fresh Lemon half
One fresh Lime half

Squeeze both into a pint glass or fruit jar

Add:
½ oz. Rum
1 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Whiskey
½ oz. Gin
½ oz. Tequila
½ oz. Maple Syrup

Mix Thoroughly Then pour in 4 to 5 oz. Soda Water (Coca-Cola, Pepsi, or RC Cola) without stirring.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2009, 08:58 PM

Sure.

A Long Island iced tea is like a survey course in world religions.

We're starting with the Far East.

You get Hinduism. You get Taoism.

You get Buddhism, Confucianism.

We get Zoroastrianism.

Did you know Zoroastrians consider dogs the equal of men?

- I know I do. - Good answer.

Then you get Islam...

and the sweet twins of Judaism and Christianity.

Then we come, voilà, to the lone contribution of Western Civilization...

the Coca-Cola.

And bubble it altogether.

Voilà. Long Island iced tea.

RashanGary
05-13-2009, 09:24 PM
I like this recipe I found online

Take 750 ml of Vodka
Remove 6 oz
Replace with 6 oz of lime juice
Add small amount of water (which creates ice crystals when put in freezer)
Place in freezer over night
Serve in chilled martini glasses straight up or as shots

I've changed my plan. I'm just going to drink water and take ice cold shots of this vodka gimlet.

There are 25.35 oz in a 750 ml bottle
If I remove 6.35 oz of vodka and replace with 6 oz lime and .35 oz water (for ice crystals)

I'm left with a mixture that is 19 oz 80 proof vodka.

19/25.35 = 75% vodka
80 proof * .75 = 60 proof

So these would be 60 proof shots. In my experience, gimlets go down the shoot incredibly smooth and the colder the better.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2009, 09:44 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/RKNL9C2DE935U

One fresh Lemon half
One fresh Lime half

Squeeze both into a pint glass or fruit jar

Add:
½ oz. Rum
1 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Whiskey
½ oz. Gin
½ oz. Tequila
½ oz. Maple Syrup

Mix Thoroughly Then pour in 4 to 5 oz. Soda Water (Coca-Cola, Pepsi, or RC Cola) without stirring.

There isn't a bar in this country (hyperbole) that squeezes lemon and lime...and uses maple syrup.

Deputy Nutz
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I love Scotch, Scotch, Scotch, Scotch!!!

Vodka Gimletes and my alcoholic drink of choice.

MJZiggy
05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Does this mean you've given up the vodka and rockstars?

GrnBay007
05-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I've changed my plan. I'm just going to drink water and take ice cold shots of this vodka gimlet.

Ever put a little bit of olive juice in your gimlet? Never had a vodka gimlet but used to drink gin gimlets with a lil olive juice. They were really good.

GrnBay007
05-13-2009, 10:09 PM

The only long island I've ever had is:

shot vodka
shot rum
shot gin
shot triple sec

coke and sprite

:D they are good, but sneak up on you :D

MJZiggy
05-13-2009, 10:15 PM
That sounds about right. They don't sneak up on me--they smack me face first!! Frozen Alabama Slammers sneak up on me. Who knew fruit punch could knock you on your ass like that?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2009, 10:31 PM
LITs are basically all your rail clear alcohol, tequila, and then triple sec. that is what is called for by it's inventor...Robert Butt at the Oak Beach Inn in Long Island.

However, since it is a fratboy/sorority girl fav...no one really notices if they leave out the tequila....especially if the barkeep grabs all the bottle at one time to pour...which is usually how it is doen.

Then you add sweet n sour mix...top with cola.

If you lose the triple sec and replace with another "orangey" flavor, blue curacao, you get a blue motorcycle.

sheepshead
05-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Friday's still makes the best-blended

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2009, 10:47 PM

Friday's still makes the best-blended

Why?

There is nothing special or difficult to make.

Harlan Huckleby
05-13-2009, 10:54 PM
My favorite cocktail is reefer. It's best mixed with music and conversation, but I like it straight up as well.

Joemailman
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.fishex.com/recipes/shrimp_cocktail.jpg

GrnBay007
05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
OK....so that's what you are bringing to the Posters game Joe? :D

Partial
05-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Huge fan of the long island ice tea. I've had them at just about every bar in Milwaukee, and I've concluded that the best I've ever had was at "the lounge" at Big Powderhorn Mountain.

They were completely spectacular. Stunning really.

MJZiggy
05-14-2009, 05:56 AM
OK....so that's what you are bringing to the Posters game Joe? :D

Eh. We had that last year.

RashanGary
05-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Ever put a little bit of olive juice in your gimlet? Never had a vodka gimlet but used to drink gin gimlets with a lil olive juice. They were really good.

You know, I haven't. I have the two little ones and I just think drinking is an adults only recreation (nothing against anyone who has drink every night, I just like to have more than one drink :) )

Anyway, my alcohol palate has been stunted by these damn children.

Those do sound good too. Something like 3 parts gin, one part vermouth, one part olive juice is something I've considered too. (dirty martini)

SkinBasket
05-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Drinking your gimlet dirty is the only way to drink it.

Thanks for the idea on the ice crystals JH. I was considering becoming more sober until you brought that up.

RashanGary
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Drinking your gimlet dirty is the only way to drink it.

Thanks for the idea on the ice crystals JH. I was considering becoming more sober until you brought that up.

I know. I found it on the internet while looking up tricks to a good gimlet.

Another thing I've learned is that Vodka is made to be pure alcohol and pure water (nothing else). It should be flavorless, odorless and colorless. Because of the way it's filtered, all Vodka should taste almost exactly the same.

Several bar tenders have tested the subject with blind taste tests. Vodka drinkers swear by their bottle but when put to the blind taste test, none could tell the difference between the mid shelf and high shelf vodkas even when drinking straight.

The other resounding consistent is that Smirnoff Vodka is one of the most pure (and cheapest vodkas) you can buy. According to Vodka experts NOBODY can tell the difference between the low prices Smirnoff and it's high priced competitors.

So what I've learned is to drink Smirnoff.

When it comes to Gin, that has flavor and you have to drink what you enjoy but with Vodka, you need to drink what's pure and after that go price. Smirnoff is the resounding winner. Performs like the best but costs the least. It's one of those too good to be true things.

Iron Mike
05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
http://rummage.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/manhattan.jpg

Str8 up Manhattan. :P

Summer's coming though.....so soon it will be mojito time.

http://www.bobpiper.co.uk/mojito1.jpg

SkinBasket
05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I'll only drink the expensive vodka when someone's bought it for me as a present. During college, our bartender set up several tastings for me, and I always chose the Vox, but once you add anything to it, it's true that the vodka doesn't matter - just the alcohol it contains. So now I just pick up whatever's on sale or looks nice in the fridge. Svedka, Fleischmann's, and Otto's Branded vodka are all frequent visitors. That French shit that had a rebate that made it 3 bucks a bottle for the first few months worked too.

The only advice I have to offer on the home version of a gimlet is how I make the bastardized version I use to seduce nutz. Cup half full of ice. 70% vodka. 30% red bull, ginger ale, or sprite to lighten it up. A healthy top off from the Rose's - but everyone prefers a different dose of lime, and a squirt of lemon juice for sass. Drop in an olive, pour a little olive brine on top and stir with your longest finger. Repeat two more times while eating everything I can get my hands on. For special occasions, I'll add champagne instead of red bull.

I've tried hundreds of the world's cheapest wines. My recommendations for red wine are as follows:
http://www.salutewinemarket.com/store/product/416/St.-Francis-Red--2007/
http://www.toadhollow.com/available.asp#6

Harlan Huckleby
05-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Svedka, Fleischmann's,

Ah yes, those were the days. I found that a Fleischmanns half-pint mixed nicely with an XL Burger King diet coke. The smooth move is to ask for an extra cup of ice at the drive-through window, then pull into a parking stall on the far edge of the parking lot where you won't be spotted sloshing your cocktail from cup to cup. With your courage now screwed-up, it is off to the bar or other social engagement. Slick.

When I got to be a sophisticated older adult, I made the mistake of tasting good vodka, and was never able to go back to Fleischmanns. But I haven't drunk anything except for the occasional margarita for years, anyway. I don't consider margaritas alchohol, margaritas are a fruit juice.

Little Whiskey
05-14-2009, 11:34 AM
how I make the bastardized version I use to seduce nutz. Cup half full of ice. 70% vodka. 30% red bull

I'm gonna have to call bullshit. I hear that nutz is a rockstar drinker. diet at that.

SkinBasket
05-14-2009, 11:53 AM
how I make the bastardized version I use to seduce nutz. Cup half full of ice. 70% vodka. 30% red bull

I'm gonna have to call bullshit. I hear that nutz is a rockstar drinker. diet at that.

He drinks what I give him to drink and he likes it.

Bossman641
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Svedka, Fleischmann's,

Ah yes, those were the days. I found that a Fleischmanns half-pint mixed nicely with an XL Burger King diet coke. The smooth move is to ask for an extra cup of ice at the drive-through window, then pull into a parking stall on the far edge of the parking lot where you won't be spotted sloshing your cocktail from cup to cup. With your courage now screwed-up, it is off to the bar or other social engagement. Slick.

When I got to be a sophisticated older adult, I made the mistake of tasting good vodka, and was never able to go back to Fleischmanns. But I haven't drunk anything except for the occasional margarita for years, anyway. I don't consider margaritas alchohol, margaritas are a fruit juice.

Fleischmann's? Never had that and I've had my share of cheap vodka - Crystal Palace, Barnett's, Popov, and some kind from CVS labeled simply "Premium" vodka.

Partial
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I didn't think people outside of high school or underagers in college drank vodka. I personally find it disgusting. Can't do it anymore. I'm definitely disgusted by it. My GF drinks vodka cranberry.. F'in disgusting.

JH, there is definitely different qualities of vodka when going straight up. Probably not as much when mixed. Take a shot of goose and a shot of absolute and tell me theres not a huge difference. The goose has significantly less taste imo.

Good times with the fleishmans lime. It's absolutely disugsting, but I do remember some hilarious drunken moments such as a buddy of my totally wiping out and smashing his forehead into the john.

SkinBasket
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM
some kind from CVS labeled simply "Premium" vodka.

Now you're talking.

Bossman641
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM

Now you're talking.

You're familiar?

retailguy
05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
JH, there is definitely different qualities of vodka when going straight up. Probably not as much when mixed. Take a shot of goose and a shot of absolute and tell me theres not a huge difference. The goose has significantly less taste imo.

well, largely P, this isn't accurate. Long ago, the US gov "mandated" the composition of Vodka. I couldn't find the law, admittedly didn't search long, but I found this:

http://www.tastings.com/spirits/vodka.html

In the United States, domestic Vodkas are defined by U.S. government regulation as "neutral spirits, so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color." Because American Vodka is, by law, neutral in taste, there are only very subtle distinctions between brands. Many drinkers feel that the only real way of differentiating between them is by alcohol content and price.

So, you probably get more of a "difference" in taste from residue on the shot glass than from the "different" brand of vodka.

Vodka is typically used in MBA marketing programs as a "test case" for brand differentiation. It comes almost exclusively from better marketing efforts.

GrnBay007
05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't consider margaritas alchohol, margaritas are a fruit juice.

You are probably drinking the frozen ones out of a machine then...they are gross!

Have someone make you a good margarita on the rocks. I think you will change your opinion.

Freak Out
05-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Martini (Good Gin) with a sniff of dry white vermouth and an olive. A Mojito can be very nice if done well...same with a Margarita.

Partial
05-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I can definitely taste the difference in vodkas. Level vodka is also very smooth but extremely expensive so I'd never buy it.

RashanGary
05-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Vodka is typically used in MBA marketing programs as a "test case" for brand differentiation. It comes almost exclusively from better marketing efforts.

This is what I've read. They are all very similar. Some have a few more impurities than others. Just from what I've researched, my belief is this:

Smirnoff = Best value you can buy. Very pure. Very cheap.
Kettle One = More money but maybe a sniff cleaner. Still reasonable price

Who knows though, they're almost all the same. After reading what I've read, I'm going to drink smirnoff but even that is probably no better than anything else. It's just cheap and said to be very pure. Best case I get a top shelf Vodka for cheap. Worst case they're all the same and I pay a couple extra dollars. It just seems like a safe buy to me and I'm not going to spent a week of my life researching to narrow it down any more. I don't love vodka that much and I don't spend enough to care that much.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-14-2009, 04:49 PM

well, largely P, this isn't accurate. Long ago, the US gov "mandated" the composition of Vodka. I couldn't find the law, admittedly didn't search long, but I found this:

http://www.tastings.com/spirits/vodka.html

In the United States, domestic Vodkas are defined by U.S. government regulation as "neutral spirits, so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color." Because American Vodka is, by law, neutral in taste, there are only very subtle distinctions between brands. Many drinkers feel that the only real way of differentiating between them is by alcohol content and price.

So, you probably get more of a "difference" in taste from residue on the shot glass than from the "different" brand of vodka.

Typical RG bullshit. There is definitely differences in vodkas, and they can most definitely be deciphered when tasted straight up.

What is most troubling is that Partial clearly uses non-domestic vodka as his example...Goose and Absolut....and then you try and refute it by quoting something about FUCKING DOMESTIC VODKA. :oops:

Vodka can be distilled many different ways, from many different substance...wheat, corn, grapes, beets, rye, sugar cane, and potatoes...and even hemp seeds.

What does that mean? It means there is a distinctive smell, flavor, aftertaste, and burn. Grain based vodkas are the smoothest and are often described as fruity. Veggie based vodkas are often harsh/medicinal.

RashanGary
05-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I think that's true, Tyrone, but I guess I'm talking about staying within the "grain vodka" realm.

I think RG is right that almost all "common" grain vodkas can barely be deciphered from one another. Grey Goose, Kettle One, Smirnoff, Fleichman's. . . . All the vodkas people tend to drink most are the grain variety and despite their price, are not found to be any better than the cheaper competitors in blind taste tests "from people who swear they can tell the difference I mgiht add"

Partial
05-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Jh, I will bring get you a shot of rail vodka and a shot of Goose and we'll see if you can taste the difference at the game weekend. You definitely will. I actually agree with Ty on this one. The big vodka that my buddies used to drink was Svedka. Evidently most bang for your buck.

RashanGary
05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I would say a good test would be Goose, Ketel One and Sminoff

One over $30 (most popular in class)
One about $22 (most popular in class)
One about $12 (most popular in class)

All are grain vodka. I think the only difference will be the price. Maybe there will be ever so slight differences, but I don't we'll be able to pick out which is the supposed high end vodka over the rest.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-14-2009, 06:09 PM
I think that's true, Tyrone, but I guess I'm talking about staying within the "grain vodka" realm.

I think RG is right that almost all "common" grain vodkas can barely be deciphered from one another. Grey Goose, Kettle One, Smirnoff, Fleichman's. . . . All the vodkas people tend to drink most are the grain variety and despite their price, are not found to be any better than the cheaper competitors in blind taste tests "from people who swear they can tell the difference I mgiht add"

Within the grain vodkas, there is still differentiation.

Goose: made from combo of grains. I find it sweet, a bit smoky, with a hint of citrus
Belvedere: rye. I taste a bit of vanilla.
Ketel: wheat. Hint of orange. BTW, Ketel throws out the 1st and last third of the batch cause they feel it is too harsh/weak.

The point that he tried to make was based on domestic...but, partial wasn't talking about domestic.

Secondly, he uses this quote: "neutral spirits, so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste or color." But, he really doesn't understand what that means.

Lacking distinctiveness is totally different from a lack of distinction. Each vodka has its own flavors and bouqet, they are subtle and often hard to articulate.

Better: That is a subjective thing. Most people don't drink vodka straight..so, as skin and others have noted...it really doesn't matter once you start mixing...though distillation does affect your hangover.

Ty drinks vodka on the rocks with a twist. Ty definitely can tell the difference tween vodkas. Ty is not going to say that a cheaper product can't taste as good...only that one can certainly tell the difference between products.

And, "from people who swear they can tell the difference I mgiht add"...Ty would have to question their credentials. Most of these fall into the "i know my vodka...i'm a goose man/ketel one guy."

Any test done by professionals in the food and wine industry clearly results in differences in taste, smell, aftertaste, burn, etc.

Harlan Huckleby
05-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't consider margaritas alchohol, margaritas are a fruit juice.

You are probably drinking the frozen ones out of a machine then...they are gross!

Have someone make you a good margarita on the rocks. I think you will change your opinion.

You misunderstand, I love good margaritas: blended, on the rocks, or intravenous.
I only classify them as a fruit juice because they are so darn tasty and drinkable. IF I had kids, they'd get margaritas for breakfast.

RashanGary
05-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Margaritas are good. Los Banditos, on Wednesdays, has half priced Margarita night. I like the half/half strawberry/regular mix with a little salt. NEVER sugar. You get a pitcher for $10 and it's enough for two.

They're served with a lot of ice so they go down clean and crisp like you were drinking an ice cold glass of flavored water. I wouldn't know it by taste, but I get reminded an hour later that the alcohol content is pretty high. Have a DD when you to to Los on Wednesdays :)

SkinBasket
05-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Now you're talking.

You're familiar?

I am familiar with cheap vodka. I am familiar with the concept that after the first 3 mouthfuls, all of them are going to taste the same and that the point isn't to savor the flavor of the vodka (no offense Ty). It's to get loaded, drop the day, and have a good time. I would be willing to bet that Otto's brand and CVS are one and the same, though I would love to get my hands on a CVS branded bottle, just for the ambiance.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Harlan should start a poll asking how many people have posted while drunk.

Harlan Huckleby
05-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Cheap vodka comes with a hangover.

mraynrand
05-14-2009, 09:37 PM

Now you're talking.

You're familiar?

I am familiar with cheap vodka. I am familiar with the concept that after the first 3 mouthfuls, all of them are going to taste the same and that the point isn't to savor the flavor of the vodka (no offense Ty). It's to get loaded, drop the day, and have a good time. I would be willing to bet that Otto's brand and CVS are one and the same, though I would love to get my hands on a CVS branded bottle, just for the ambiance.

I just make my own stuff. Whatever fruit or vegetables have spoiled is what gets made into alcoholic beverages. One warning: Broccoli liqueur tastes worse than jagermeister.

RashanGary
05-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Having a night cap of Vodka, triple sec, cranberry and a splash of orange juice right now. Ice cold. Can't complain.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-14-2009, 09:45 PM

A kindler, gentler Skin? What is going on.

BTW, got the pics. To be honest...kinda disappointing. I was barely able to beat off to them.

SkinBasket
05-15-2009, 07:09 AM

BTW, got the pics. To be honest...kinda disappointing. I was barely able to beat off to them.

Oh Ty, you know I don't have a problem with you, just your entire way of thinking. I'm pretty sure we would be right at home sitting down to a nice dinner together as long as we didn't talk about anything having to do with what either of us believes.

If I didn't think you were actually a nice guy, would I be sending you unsolicited meatball pictures? I can try to find some more prinny fucking pictures if that would help your dong recover.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Oh Ty, you know I don't have a problem with you, just your entire way of thinking. I'm pretty sure we would be right at home sitting down to a nice dinner together as long as we didn't talk about anything having to do with what either of us believes.

If I didn't think you were actually a nice guy, would I be sending you unsolicited meatball pictures? I can try to find some more prinny fucking pictures if that would help your dong recover.

I always knew you were a marshmallow inside....i love your creamy goodness.

Pics: After seeing them..i'm not so sure about you or your motives. :wink:

SkinBasket
05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
You know better than anyone you always got to keep them on their toes, Tyrone.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
You know better than anyone you always got to keep them on their toes, Tyrone.

QFT

Joemailman
05-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Hell, why don't you two just turn yourselves into a s'more?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 06:33 PM

Hell, why don't you two just turn yourselves into a s'more?

fucking liberals...always promoting their homsexual agenda. :wink:

MJZiggy
05-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Speaking of alcohol recipes, this whole thread is making me need a drink.

HowardRoark
05-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Speaking of alcohol recipes, this whole thread is making me need a drink.

I think you could use one tonight. Nice avatar by the way.

MJZiggy
05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
That's a recycled one that I had for ages. It's the logo for my website, which coincidentally, I haven't touched for ages...

swede
05-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Compari and soda
Tullamore Dew
Ketel X twist
Fernet-Branca
Caipirinha
Michelada

I figured you for one of the dudes that used to come into the Fire Alarm Discotheque and ask for a Chivas and diet Coke.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 11:56 PM

Compari and soda
Tullamore Dew
Ketel X twist
Fernet-Branca
Caipirinha
Michelada

I figured you for one of the dudes that used to come into the Fire Alarm Discotheque and ask for a Chivas and diet Coke.

Fire Alarm Discotheque? Discotheque? What are you..70? Or, are you just eurotrash pretending to be a good, normal american?

Ty would never adulterate good alcohol.

Partial
05-16-2009, 02:26 AM
The Lucky Lounge or whatever the fudge its called on 68th and state makes a very tasty long island.

FavreChild
05-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Leff's Lucky Town?

Partial
05-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Leff's Lucky Town?

Yeah I think that was the place. Delicious long islands. Had a few. Pricey at 6 bucks a pop though.

FavreChild
05-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I liked Leff's, although I can't say that I remember their Long Island's.

I would have to say, though, that a quality long island is going to cost at least that much.

I guess it depends on what you like - I used to consider myself to be somewhat of a connoisseur. I wouldn't drink them if they were made with a mix. And if they're not, and they're really blended with all five liquors (including tequila) - even if they're rail liquors, they're gonna cost on average 6-8 bucks.

But if they're REAL long islands, it's a very good bang for your buck alcohol wise. Assuming your mission is to get a little buzzed. (Not a good choice calorie-wise, but only if you're counting.)

Major Goolsby's are very good - although they don't use tequila.

Mustang Shelly's in New Berlin will give you a good kick in the seat.

Partial
05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
That's why my buddies and I drink 'em. Best "buzz per buck". We only drink the real ones. That mix is crap. I've found that the sour makes all the difference between it tasting like death and tasting glorious.

MJZiggy
05-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Major Goolsby's still exists??

Tyrone Bigguns
05-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Major Goolsby's still exists??

Of course. The more things change in Miltown, the more they stay the same.

FavreChild
05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Major Goolsby's is my "happy place."

RashanGary
05-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Whoa. . . Little buzzed right now. . .

I've been trying to get a good cozmo recipe down for memorial day weekend. Last night I had apple cranberry in house and it did not have enough cranberry flavor. Tonight I went out and bought cranberry from concentrate and regular cranberry juice. It made all the difference.

I used:

3 parts vodka
2 parts triple sec
1.5 parts cranberry concentrate
1.5 parts cranberry juice
1.5 parts lime

It's a little too flavorful (too sweet/cranberryey). It's my second one (and each has about 3 drinks in it). I don't think I can do any more testing tonight but I will get back to mastering this cosmo recipe. After this I will move on to the black russian and maybe the white russian if the black one has too big of a cock.

My next go around is going to go something like this:

3 parts vodka
1.5 parts triple sec (gonna try to take out some of the sweet punch)
1.5 parts lime
1 part cranberry concentrate (gonna try to take out some of the flavor punch)
1 part cranberry juice

After you dilute this with ice, shake it up and pour, it's probably about 25 proof (the average wine). I really enjoy wine, but I just say, these go down easier. I shall name this drink the panty dropper because it's sweet enough for my wife to drink and. . . forget it. I'm buzzed.

Joemailman
05-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Is it just my imagination, or does FavreChild only show up here when people are talking about drinking? Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D :glug: :alc:

RashanGary
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, I went with the third. I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure it went as I planned above. If not, It was the general concept. . . .

Less triple sec
Less Cran concentrate

This one is delicious. It's got the spirit of the cranberry but the refreshing feel of the lime/ice water. Oh, and you can't really tell it's loaded with alcohol.

Now I just replaced 6 oz from my bottle of smirnoff vodka with 6 oz of lime and .5 oz of water. I'm hoping the ice crystals develop and this will be what I use next weekend for my cosmos while we play cards!!!

I love poker and love marinis :) :)

FavreChild
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
:whist:

RashanGary
05-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Whoa, just tried some of my lime vodka (75% vodka, 25% lime juice with a dash of water). 60 proof, if u do the math.

For those who are not following, I took out 25 % of my 1 ltr of smirnoff vodka (in case you're not up to speed - smirnoff tastes just as good as goose). N E way, I replaced the 5.5 shots or 25% with pure lime juice and placed in freezer.

Now I'm getting ready for bed and I decided to see what it tastes like, you know, just to make sure my mixture goes over well next weekend. It tastes really good. I tried a shot, to see if a shot tastes good and it does. Now I also decided to try a shot with a splash of water. That also tastes good.

Is there anything I'm forgetting to test?

gex
05-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I used to like my Jack and Cokes when I was younger, then I switched to Jim Beam and Coke. However I have not had a mixer in years, when I go out for poker night, its 12 Miller Lites and 10 shots of Jagermeister. 8-)

Speaking of vodka mixers, my old bartender used to drink "greyhounds" ... vodka and grapefruit juice. The name is fitting because something about the grapefruit makes it go staight to your head.

RashanGary
05-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't like jack at all. I can't believe people drink that harsh SHIT!!

Maybe it's good when it's watered down to high hell with coke, I don't know. I don't drink my spirits watered so far down that their essence is lost.

Drinking Jack straight is like drinking turpentine. It's pure shit. Jim Beam straight, as far as normal priced whiskey shots go, is smooth.

If I'm going to fill a glass with ice, fill it over half way with whiskey and then top off with coke. . . If I have a strong whiskey and coke, Southern Comfort is delicious. The flavor, mixed with coke, is great.

Jack, I haven't found one fucking thing (other than mixed with apple pucker) that tastes remotely good. Jack Daniels is a farce as far as I'm concerned.

Little Whiskey
05-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Mustang Shelly's in New Berlin will give you a good kick in the seat.

They also have some pretty kick ass burgers!

During my school days we used to head down to Bleachers on Blu Mound for 1.50 L.I.T. night. Couldn't tell you if it was a mix or real or the bar rag, but after ten bucks you were on your rear.

Deputy Nutz
05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I love Scotch!!! Scotch, Scotch, Scotch!!!

Over ice, let the booze melt the ice for a couple of minutes, drink, heavily

Deputy Nutz
05-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I just started drinking vodka heavily, and
I tell ya
The cheap shit, I can taste the burn.
Shmirnoff is the best for the price, although it's not like it is cheap 20.00 bucks a bottle.
when skin is buying, I always get him rail, and get myself kettle one.

]{ilr]3
05-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Having a night cap of Vodka, triple sec, cranberry and a splash of orange juice right now. Ice cold. Can't complain.

Isnt that a Cosmopolitan?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
{ilr]3]

A cosmo has no oj.

No self respecting man should ever be caught drinking a cosmo.

]{ilr]3
05-19-2009, 07:18 AM
{ilr]3]

A cosmo has no oj.

No self respecting man should ever be caught drinking a cosmo.

Its a damn good drink when made correctly. But your right, I would never order one out because of the name. But at the same time, how gay does Martini sound? :?