PDA

View Full Version : All-American Herzlich diagnosed with cancer

Jimx29
05-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Major suckage indeed....

Even for relatively diehard fans, it might have been possible to get through the last couple seasons knowing Mark Herzlich only as "the guy with the crazy facepaint," but that would be missing the lead: The 6'4", 240-pound Boston College linebacker was the defensive player of the year in a conference that had six defenders picked in the first two rounds of this year's draft, and might have joined teammate B.J. Raji in the top-10 if he hadn't decided to come back for his senior season at B.C.

Pray today, then, that the football chapter of Herzlich's story isn't closed after the sure-fire All-American disclosed that he's been diagnosed with cancer:

Boston College senior linebacker Mark Herzlich disclosed today that he has been diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a malignant tumor most often found in bone or soft tissue.

The following is a statement from Herzlich:

"This past week, I got some news nobody wants to hear. After undergoing some tests to determine the cause of some pain I had been experiencing in my leg, I learned that I have Ewing's Sarcoma.

"Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do.

"At this point, I do not know what this means for my football future, but I am determined to rid my body of this disease so that I can put that uniform back on. Thank you in advance for your prayers and concern. Together, we will fight this and win."

I'm not that kind of doctor, but I assume "cancer" and "bone" in the same sentence is always, literally, deathly serious news; for Ewing's Sarcoma, the prognosis depends on a variety of factors, but five-year survival rates if the diagnosis is made fairly early are as high as 80 percent.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Breaking-All-American-Herzlich-diagnosed-with-c?urn=ncaaf,163519

Tyrone Bigguns
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Haven't thought about Ewings since reading Catch 22.

Lurker64
05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
That's terrible news. I wish him all the best, but the prognosis is somewhat grim. Ewing's sarcoma is nasty stuff, he's going to need some heavy-duty chemo and probably won't play football anymore. The long-term survival rate with this specific form of bone cancer is as low as 10%, which is scary.

Best of luck to him.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2009, 09:30 PM
10%? Crap. Cancer really sucks.

Lurker64
05-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Well, when treated aggressively he has a really good chance for the next 5 years or so, but he's not going to play football again and it's not something that people generally live for 30 years after they get. Too bad, he was a hell of a player.

Spaulding
05-15-2009, 08:48 AM
An unfortunate reminder that life is fragile and to always try and enjoy the moment. Seems like a hellava guy and very sorry to hear about his upcoming battle and the fact he won't likely enjoy the playing field again.

hoosier
05-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Well, when treated aggressively he has a really good chance for the next 5 years or so, but he's not going to play football again and it's not something that people generally live for 30 years after they get. Too bad, he was a hell of a player.

I think the stats you're referring to are applicable for cases where the cancer has spread. If it's still localized the cure rate seems to be much higher. I have no idea what percentage of cases are still localized when diagnosis happens.

Merlin
05-20-2009, 01:13 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I am hopeful that he will have the best medical care in the world and that he will someday strap the pads back on, anything can happen if you believe.

MadScientist
05-20-2009, 01:25 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I am hopeful that he will have the best medical care in the world and that he will someday strap the pads back on, anything can happen if you believe.
He's in a good city for top notch doctors, and he is presumably still covered by his school and/or his parent's medical coverage so he should have a chance to get the care he needs. At least he's not in Josh Bidwell's position.