View Full Version : The Vonta Leach Football Camp

woodbuck27
07-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Published on Sunday, July 16, 2006

Vonta-ful experience

By Sammy Batten
Staff writer

http://www.fayettevillenc.com/photos/2006/07/1C90716C-scaled.jpg

Green Bay fullback Vonta Leach gets the attention of kids at a football camp at South Robeson High School in Rowland on Saturday. Leach held the camp to help raise money for his former high school.

ROWLAND — Even though Vonta Leach has made it to the big time as an NFL football player, he hasn’t forgotten the people and places who helped get him there.

The Green Bay Packers fullback was home Friday and Saturday trying to give something back to both his old high school and the community that remains his offseason residence.

A fundraising dinner Friday evening, hosted by Leach, attracted a crowd of about 150 at the Black Water Grille in Lumberton, including U.S. Congressman Mike McIntyre. He followed up Saturday with the first Vonta Leach Football Camp at South Robeson High School where about 80 players between the ages of 12-18 received instruction from Leach and other NFL players.

“I would have liked for the crowd to have been bigger today, but you have to start somewhere,’à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ Leach said Saturday after cutting the camp short due to the humid weather conditions.

Proceeds from the dinner and camp will benefit South Robeson, where Leach was the Cape Fear region Player of the Year in 1999, and economic development in Robeson County.

Green Bay teammates Samkon Gado (running back) and Jason Horton (cornerback) along with ex-East Carolina teammates Brian Rimpf (Baltimore Ravens), Damane Duckett (New York Giants) and Terrance Copper (Dallas Cowboys) were in town to assist Leach with what began as a simple idea.

“It started out with me just wanting to have a little football camp where the kids would come, we’d talk to them and give them a T-shirt,’à¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ Leach said.

“But then I got to meeting with a group of professional people around the county and the thing just got bigger and bigger. We added the dinner and had sponsors coming on to do this and that. We got a lot of different support from a lot of different people all around the county.

“Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s been a very rewarding experience. Hopefully, we can grow a little bit every year and maybe make a little difference here.â€™à€™

Leach will begin his third season with the Packers this fall. He’s spent the past two seasons as a backup to veteran William Henderson at fullback and as a star on the Packers’ special teams.

Note: Staff writer Sammy Batten can be reached at battens@fayettevillenc.com

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Even though Vonta Leach has made it to the big time as an NFL football player,

barely. Not doggin him, but he's a borderline guy.

Patler
07-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Even though Vonta Leach has made it to the big time as an NFL football player,

barely. Not doggin him, but he's a borderline guy.

Yes, you are doggin him, and unjustifiably.

The same thing can be said for about half the players on the roster of every team. Their spot on the roster is a bit tenuous. So what? They are still NFL players. Leach has been out of school for two years and has been employed by the Green Bay Packers ever since, for part of 2004 on the practice squad and for the past 22 regular season games on the regular roster. Last year he beat out an established veteran to get his spot. Makes him every bit an NFL player in my mind.

I'm pleased to see him contributing to the community and school he grew up in.

Besides, I suspect his career will go on longer than you might think. He may not fit as well in Green Bay as he did in the past, but a willing blocker, who hits hard and plays special teams without complaining is likely to hang around for a few more years on someone's roster, even if he is not in Green Bay.

Guiness
07-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Quite, Sham.

If I was playing in the NFL, I'd certainly consider it big time!

Impressive little list of players he's put together for this, eh? No big names, but I bet the kids are elated to have half a dozen NFL caliber players showing them the ropes.

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2006, 09:48 AM
I thought Vonta Leech was a mild disappointment last year. I don't think he was any upgrade on Luchey as a blocker. He played very little, and looked less athletic than I hoped, doubt he'll ever be a pass-catching fullback like Henderson.

I have hope for him because he is still very young. Most backs come and go quickly, so I'm suggesting he ought to invest his NFL paychecks wisely.

woodbuck27
07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
I thought Vonta Leech was a mild disappointment last year. I don't think he was any upgrade on Luchey as a blocker. He played very little, and looked less athletic than I hoped, doubt he'll ever be a pass-catching fullback like Henderson.

I have hope for him because he is still very young. Most backs come and go quickly, so I'm suggesting he ought to invest his NFL paychecks wisely.

It's all the dropped pass's that are right there - that concern me.

Soft - medium, right on the money pass's, shouldn't be dropped so consistently, as Vonta has been doing.

Maybe it's a concentration thing that will come but pass's on the paws, ugggghhh.That out wide pass for 5-10 yards (at least) has to be caught.