PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl 32

Chevelle2
05-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I hate to bring up a sore subject, but me and a buddy were trying to figure out exactly WHY and HOW they lost. We were both 8 at the time, so our memories are hazy.

A few things Ive heard over the years, maybe you older Rats can confirm or deny.

-Favre was out partying until 5am, and many believe he would have hit Freeman on the last drive had Favre been more "with it"

-When it was 7-0 Packers, after the first drive, Packer players were on the sidelines listening to their walkman, playing Gameboy and celebrating as if they had already won to family members on their cell phones

-The reason the Packers didnt run the ball on the last drive, is because the coaches wanted Favre to get the MVP (I think I heard S Dotson say this on 102.9 in the morning a few years back)

-The last pass to Chewy - the Packers hadn't run that play all year. When Favre received the play in the huddle, and told the team, everyone was like "WTF"

Im 99% sure the last one is true, but the previous 4 I'm not sure. Again, it's only stuff I heard here and their.

All in all, how the hell did we lose? Were not really 13-3 material? After all, we did lose to some pretty bad teams that year (PHI, IND, and DET) Injuries? Over confidence?

Here is the last drive, if you can stomach it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBlaGbr6Ao&feature=related

Scott Campbell
05-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I think we just had a Viking moment.

cpk1994
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
THe defense wasn't as good as thought. They weren't able to get off the field. And then there was the decision to activate Darius Holland over Paul Frase. Frase had shown that he could be counted on earlier in the postseason, while Holland was struggling. You also had Holmgren's mental lapse in not kjnowing what down it was when he allowed the decisive TD. It's really complex axtually.

Chevelle2
05-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Was it Holland who refused to reenter the game after injury because he was afraid his FA stock would go down? Asshole.

mraynrand
05-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Denver scored more points.

Probably the biggest mistake actually came after the Packers tied it up 24-24 - and got the ball back at about midfield. The Packers D was absolutely gassed. Holmgren really needed to give the Broncos a steady diet of Levens, but the Broncos secondary was banged up and Holmy went with percentages and kept tossing the ball. Favre had a bad overthrow on that drive and, in possibly the biggest overlooked play, Brooks had about three steps on a defender and would have scored easily on a TD toss, had Favre's arm not been hit at the last second on a blitz on that same drive. Woulda been up by a TD, 31-24. Game of inches.

goddammit, now I'm going to be angry all afternoon thinking about horseface winning that game. Bleechhhh!

Fritz
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I believe, also, that after Denver went up, Freeman flat out dropped a long pass.

But yes, I was furious with Holmgren's play calling. The defense was dead, absolutely dead, and the Packers had shown they could run the ball. But Holmgren took to the air.

Chevelle2
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I vaguely remember Braxton pulling Freeman's facemask all the way back from behind him with no call, when the ball was in the air, like in the 3rd Q.

oregonpackfan
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
A point not brought up here is that Denver had an outstanding offense led by John Elway. Sure there were mistakes regarding dropped passes, playcalling, etc. The bottom line is the Packers defense couldn't stop the powerful Broncos' offense.

cheesner
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Packers got out-coached

Freak Out
05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Never should have clicked the link......fuck. :cry:

Why no throws to the TE on that drive? Fucking Atwater almost killed two guys on one play....I've never hated players more than I hated Atwater and Romanowski.

sheepshead
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Two words: Mike Holmgren. Take down the street sign now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2009, 02:45 PM
I haven't heard the Favre story. I doubt it's true. As for the game, two things stood: 1) we quit running the ball after really doing well in the first half, and 2) the DL got old on us at the end of that year. Davis tore us up, and you could see that coming near the end of that year.

mraynrand
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I believe, also, that after Denver went up, Freeman flat out dropped a long pass.

Yes, it was on the final drive on the third down, I believe. Was thrown at his hip, a touch low and behind, but catchable.

I wanted to see if Holmgren would have gone for 2 and not risked OT. That would have been as cool as the Orange Bowl between Miami and Nebraska from 1983. Would the Packers win 32-31, or lose 31-30 like Osborne, in what was the greatest college football game I've ever seen. I WANTED TO SEE THE CONVERSION ATTEMPT!!!

mraynrand
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
P.S. that husker team rolled up 84 points v Minnesota, 63 v Syracuse, 69 v Colorado,72 v Iowa St. and 67 v Kansas. HOLY SCHNIKES!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wist43
05-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Thankfully I was completely out of it with a bad virus, and don't remember any of it...

I deleted the tape, and have never watched any "highlights"... ignorance is bliss :)

Cheesehead Craig
05-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Yes, it was on the final drive on the third down, I believe. Was thrown at his hip, a touch low and behind, but catchable.
Looked at the youtube video again and that ball was way behind him. Would have been a phenominal catch but he didn't have much of a chance at that one.

Joemailman
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
THe defense wasn't as good as thought. They weren't able to get off the field. And then there was the decision to activate Darius Holland over Paul Frase. Frase had shown that he could be counted on earlier in the postseason, while Holland was struggling. You also had Holmgren's mental lapse in not kjnowing what down it was when he allowed the decisive TD. It's really complex axtually.

My recollection is slightly different. Earlier in the Week, a CB who I believe was Tyrone Williams missed practice with back spasms. Because they were concerned the spasms might return, the Packers activated one more DB and one less DL than usual. That decision hurt them in the 4th quarter.

SkinBasket
05-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I <3 Mike Holmgren's glasses.

bbbffl66
05-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Only SB I'll probably ever get the chance to attend. That just sucked! My seats were end zone toward where the Packers could have scored the tying TD. The collision that took out our WR(and I can't remember if it was Brooks or Free anymore) was wicked! It was loud up in the stands!
Anyway, my thought then and now was we were outcoached badly. The D never made any adjustments to stop TD. Holmy and Fritz were terrified of Elway beating them. Well, he didn't. TD did.
Damn, now I'm pissed too!
I was told I was on TV on XP and FG attempts, but I'll never watch it!

Bretsky
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Never heard the Favre story

Wasn't the dude who took himself out a DE....Gabe Wilkins or somebody ?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 06:56 PM

My recollection is slightly different. Earlier in the Week, a CB who I believe was Tyrone Williams missed practice with back spasms. Because they were concerned the spasms might return, the Packers activated one more DB and one less DL than usual. That decision hurt them in the 4th quarter.

I'm not sure exactly what went down, but i do know in my heart of hearts that the decision not to have that extra DL was critical.

But, i also blame Wolf for tinkering to much with the team: getting rid of sean jones, getting rid of wayne simmons, getting rid of rison.

Chevelle2
05-15-2009, 07:03 PM

I'm not sure exactly what went down, but i do know in my heart of hearts that the decision not to have that extra DL was critical.

But, i also blame Wolf for tinkering to much with the team: getting rid of sean jones, getting rid of wayne simmons, getting rid of rison.

From what I have heard the 95 team was miles better than the 97 team. Why so much turnover between the 96 roster and 97 roster?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 07:23 PM

From what I have heard the 95 team was miles better than the 97 team. Why so much turnover between the 96 roster and 97 roster?

I'm a bit confused. The pack, from my drug addled memory, went to the SB in 96 and 97 (ok, not really, but we know what i'm talking about)...so, i'm guessing you just made a mistake asking about the 95 team.

Turnover: Well, there were many reasons. One, you never stay complacent..always try to improve.

1. Sean Jones. He was older and nearing the end. I, and others thought he had something left and was a good leader (not a great agent though). Wolf/Holm/whoever thought it was better to get the younger guys involved and they would ultimately do better. In the end...neither Darious or Wilkins was ever that good.

2. Rison. Holmgren thought that Rison would be a potential disrupting force as the 3rd WR...that he couldn't adjust to not being the man....this after he came onboard and didn't cause any problems the year before. I hated this..as i am a firm believer that certain players are trouble if they are on the wrong team...ie, some players can't be on losing teams, there attitude goes for shit...which kinda happened at cleveland.

This was a huge mistake as we never had a 3rd who was even remotely as good. And, rison was a PRO BOWL receiver with KC the following year. Rison ultimately went on to play until i think 04 (finished up in the CFL). His last year was 00 with the Raidahs...and he caught 41, 600 yards, 6 tds.

We moved Rison to make room for the perpetually underachieving Derrick Mayes.

3. Simmons. He was a bad ass. GB has never really been home to bad ass/thug type players. I'm sure he had problems with coaches or something..but, on the field..he was a monster. He BRUTALIZED the 49s TE (brent jones?).

We went with the safer, but older Seth Joyner.

Chevelle2
05-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Damn, never knew Simmons was a badass, thats awesome.

I heard Rison threw his Super Bowl ring in the Fox River upon hearing we werent going to re-sign him.

What I meant is that the 1995 NFC Title game @ Dallas team was far better than the 1997 Super 31 team.

What excites me, is many people who remember this era more than I do, say 2009 is very similar to 1994ish.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 07:45 PM

I heard Rison threw his Super Bowl ring in the Fox River upon hearing we werent going to re-sign him.

What I meant is that the 1995 NFC Title game @ Dallas team was far better than the 1997 Super 31 team.

What excites me, is many people who remember this era more than I do, say 2009 is very similar to 1994ish.

Yeah, simmons was a bad ass type player and probably somewhat as a person......he died in a car crash...drunk driving or something. Remember, he was cut from KC after he and Derrick thomas had like 5 personal fouls in a game...you sure aren't going to cut HOF Thomas.

rison: i never heard this. I'd need some verification on that.

95: I don't know about that...never really considered it.

09/04: Could be.

Chevelle2
05-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Here is a comment on the story that sort of touches on it

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/31914264.html

Andre Rison swears he threw his ring in the river because the Packers treated him so bad and only used him for the Super Bowl. After the season the Packers had to choose between Brooks and Rison and they chose to be loyal to Brooks. Rison felt cheated.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Here is a comment on the story that sort of touches on it

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/31914264.html

Andre Rison swears he threw his ring in the river because the Packers treated him so bad and only used him for the Super Bowl. After the season the Packers had to choose between Brooks and Rison and they chose to be loyal to Brooks. Rison felt cheated.

Thanx.

I don't know if i believe him...but, i appreciate the link.

mraynrand
05-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Looked at the youtube video again and that ball was way behind him. Would have been a phenominal catch but he didn't have much of a chance at that one.

Here's two screen captures from the game. In live action the ball goes in and out of Freeman's chest. A perfect pass, dropped. (to be fair, there was double coverage and a defender did pull on Freeman's arm...)

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/freemandroppingperfectpass.jpg

swede
05-15-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm a bit confused. The pack, from my drug addled memory, went to the SB in 96 and 97 (ok, not really, but we know what i'm talking about)...so, i'm guessing you just made a mistake asking about the 95 team.

I think he meant that the 95 team that lost to Dallas in the NFC Championship game--after leading in the 4th quarter--was a better team than the one in 97, despite its claim to Super Bowl status. I've always thought so.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-16-2009, 12:19 AM

I think he meant that the 95 team that lost to Dallas in the NFC Championship game--after leading in the 4th quarter--was a better team than the one in 97, despite its claim to Super Bowl status. I've always thought so.

I know growing old is a bitch, but try and follow along. He answered that issue several posts ago.

Perhaps some gingko biloba?

Bretsky
05-16-2009, 12:41 AM

Simmons was the meanest player I've witnessed in GB; he was physically intimidating. He'd often line up on the oppositions star TE and completely brutalize them and take them out of the game.

I completely agree with TY in his take as to why GB fell a few steps back.

The defensive coordinatory, Fritz Shurmur, loved Wayne Simmons. But reports were Holmgren ran a pretty tight ship and had issues with his mindset. I think Simmons also lived a wild life away from the field and they might have possibly carried into practices at times. But on Game Day Wayne Simmons was an absolute BEAST. He wanted to lay the RB out every time he hit them and he treated his blockers the same. Not a high character dude but on gameday you wanted him on your team.

I was also very disappointed we let Andre Bad Moon Rison go. I'm not sure how well he fit in, but he had top of the line talent. I always felt they could have just presented things better..told the media all three WR's would be playing a lot and they really had 3 starting WR's. They never gave the guy a chance.

I think that 95 team was better than a lot of teams who have won the Super Bowl. We just ran into a dynasty in Dallas too many times in that era.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Wow. Bretsky agreeing with me. You like me. You really like me. :wink:

http://www.wisebread.com/files/fruganomics/wisebread_imce/Hell_freezing_over.jpg

MJZiggy
05-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Buncha masochists...

cpk1994
05-16-2009, 08:24 AM

But, i also blame Wolf for tinkering to much with the team: getting rid of sean jones, getting rid of wayne simmons, getting rid of rison.Wolf didn't get rid of Sean Jones. Jones retired.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-16-2009, 06:48 PM

But, i also blame Wolf for tinkering to much with the team: getting rid of sean jones, getting rid of wayne simmons, getting rid of rison.Wolf didn't get rid of Sean Jones. Jones retired.

Categorically wrong.

Sean Jones announced his retirement in May. You think a guy who was gonna retire waits that long? LOL

Mr. Jones was an unrestricted free agent after the SB. The packers chose not to resign him and go with a the younger Gabe Wilkins. There had been talk about signing him as a backup.

Jones hurt his back lifting, and then retired. You think a lineman is lifting if he isn't planning or considering playing? C'mon, CPK.

The simple fact was that he could have undergone surgery and continued playing, like Haley, but Jones had no contract..no one was going to sign him after the injury till he was healthy...and since he had other interests...tv analyst, wanting to get into a front office and eventually ownership...he retired.

Cheesehead Craig
05-16-2009, 08:58 PM

Here's two screen captures from the game. In live action the ball goes in and out of Freeman's chest. A perfect pass, dropped. (to be fair, there was double coverage and a defender did pull on Freeman's arm...)

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/freemandroppingperfectpass.jpg
I had a different play in mind when Favre was rolling left and threw across his body and Freeman was wide open about 15 yds downfield. We have different plays in our heads.

Cheesehead Craig
05-16-2009, 09:07 PM
3. Simmons. He was a bad ass. GB has never really been home to bad ass/thug type players. I'm sure he had problems with coaches or something..but, on the field..he was a monster. He BRUTALIZED the 49s TE (brent jones?).

I loved Wayne Simmons. To this day he's still one of my favorite Packer LBs ever. The guy was indeed a bad ass and if I recall correctly, during that SF playoff win, Jerry Rice came across the middle on one of those 3-4 yd routes, the ball wasn't thrown at him but Simmons just leveled Rice, I mean he just about decleated him. Completely legal contact in the 5 yd window back then.

cpk1994
05-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Categorically wrong.

Sean Jones announced his retirement in May. You think a guy who was gonna retire waits that long? LOL

Considering what we have been through, Yes. :lol:
As for Jones, yes he was a free agent so techincally the Packers didn't get rid of him since he was not employed by the Packers after SB32 to begin with. :wink:

Mr. Jones was an unrestricted free agent after the SB. The packers chose not to resign him and go with a the younger Gabe Wilkins. There had been talk about signing him as a backup.

Jones hurt his back lifting, and then retired. You think a lineman is lifting if he isn't planning or considering playing? C'mon, CPK.

Of cousre he plannied on playing another year, but there are 31 other teams that could have signed him too. It's not like the Packers had exclusive rights or something.

The simple fact was that he could have undergone surgery and continued playing, like Haley, but Jones had no contract..no one was going to sign him after the injury till he was healthy...and since he had other interests...tv analyst, wanting to get into a front office and eventually ownership...he retired.

Of course. Also, don't you think that maybe they wee still considering Jones when he got hurt and decided, like the other 31 teams, to wait until he was healthy too?

What I am saying is that Wolf chose not to resign Jones. That is a lot different than getting rid of him, which would've beeen the case if Wolf had released Jones. You could say it all comes down to how you interpret the situation.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Categorically wrong.

Considering what we have been through, Yes. :lol:
As for Jones, yes he was a free agent so techincally the Packers didn't get rid of him since he was not employed by the Packers after SB32 to begin with. :wink:

Of cousre he plannied on playing another year, but there are 31 other teams that could have signed him too. It's not like the Packers had exclusive rights or something.

Of course. Also, don't you think that maybe they wee still considering Jones when he got hurt and decided, like the other 31 teams, to wait until he was healthy too?

What I am saying is that Wolf chose not to resign Jones. That is a lot different than getting rid of him, which would've beeen the case if Wolf had released Jones. You could say it all comes down to how you interpret the situation.

You can parse and pretend, but when you have a SB team and you chose not to resign a guy..that is getting rid of them.

What you choose to do or what you choose not to do is just as telling.

hoosier
05-17-2009, 07:33 PM
I hate to bring up a sore subject, but me and a buddy were trying to figure out exactly WHY and HOW they lost. We were both 8 at the time, so our memories are hazy.

A few things Ive heard over the years, maybe you older Rats can confirm or deny.

-Favre was out partying until 5am, and many believe he would have hit Freeman on the last drive had Favre been more "with it"

-When it was 7-0 Packers, after the first drive, Packer players were on the sidelines listening to their walkman, playing Gameboy and celebrating as if they had already won to family members on their cell phones

-The reason the Packers didnt run the ball on the last drive, is because the coaches wanted Favre to get the MVP (I think I heard S Dotson say this on 102.9 in the morning a few years back)

-The last pass to Chewy - the Packers hadn't run that play all year. When Favre received the play in the huddle, and told the team, everyone was like "WTF"

Im 99% sure the last one is true, but the previous 4 I'm not sure. Again, it's only stuff I heard here and their.

All in all, how the hell did we lose? Were not really 13-3 material? After all, we did lose to some pretty bad teams that year (PHI, IND, and DET) Injuries? Over confidence?

According to Ron Wolf, the Packers lost because they didn't prepare and adjust as well as they could have. In particular they didn't solve a new blitz scheme implemented by the Denver DC, Greg Robinson. Favre did end up on his back quite a few times during the game, but the thing that really stands out is that the GB DL really gets dominated from start to finish by the Denver OL. That team didn't have a great year against the run (they gave up over 140 yards on the ground six other times) but they were peaking in the second half of the season (holding the opps under 100 yards 8 out of 11 games). To give up 179 on the ground against Denver in the Superbowl after holding TB to 90 and SF to 33 was a major disappointment.

sheepshead
05-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Exactly - Mike Holmgren. I hope someday he admits he did little to have his team prepared. He had Paul Allan dollar signs in his eyes. At the time he was being compared to Lombardi, Landry and Halas. Well he would have had trouble carrying Phil Bengstons jock after that game. It's very tough getting to the big game as we have seen ever since. The fact the he took the Broncos for granted was unforgivable in my opinion. Add that to the way he left town, I have little respect for the guy.

SnakeLH2006
05-20-2009, 03:11 AM
All Snake remembers is this:

-Awesome Packer Party
-Hanging with 3 hot strippers with yayo...Debbie you were the woman. Great tits and party favors.
-Being 17, my girl was 16 and gave amazing head to compensate for the loss at the time
-Got car stuck in snowbank at KwikTrip that nite wasted (as 21 year old buddies bought beer), but buddies helped push it out
-Rammed some car at halftime and Snake got out and bitched we'd knock you out cuz you crossed parking lanes. Really scared some dude.
-My 16 year old GF got a DUI that nite driving back and ditched car in snow bank on highway overpass. She's a drunken/pothead now.
-Really,really disapointing SuperBowl as the Packers were SO favored.

Fritz
05-20-2009, 11:28 AM

According to Ron Wolf, the Packers lost because they didn't prepare and adjust as well as they could have. In particular they didn't solve a new blitz scheme implemented by the Denver DC, Greg Robinson. Favre did end up on his back quite a few times during the game, but the thing that really stands out is that the GB DL really gets dominated from start to finish by the Denver OL. That team didn't have a great year against the run (they gave up over 140 yards on the ground six other times) but they were peaking in the second half of the season (holding the opps under 100 yards 8 out of 11 games). To give up 179 on the ground against Denver in the Superbowl after holding TB to 90 and SF to 33 was a major disappointment.

Although the 70's group Kansas did get a mega-hit out of Wolf's comments after the game - "All We Are is Farts in the Wind." Great tune. Really makes you think about life and stuff.

Pacopete4
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure there are really any conspiracy's to the game. The coach and players didn't come ready to battle for the most prized championship game that we have in sports and it showed late in the game.

Bronco's were hungry, Packers... not so much.