PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers old hand at converting to 3-4

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-10-pompei-inside-nfl-may10,0,4146320.column

Dom Capers old hand at converting to 3-4
Count on him to boost Green Bay Packers defense

All the off-season talk in the NFC North has been Brett Favre this, Jay Cutler that. Matthew Stafford this, Percy Harvin that.

But the man who could leave as big an imprint as any newcomer in the division is Dom Capers.

The new Packers defensive coordinator is bringing a new flavor of defense to the division -- the 3-4.

The defensive front is gaining popularity. There now are a dozen teams playing three-man fronts in the league, but the Packers will be one of only three doing it in the NFC.

"If you are one of the few, it becomes a little bit of an advantage," Capers said. "There are only three days [each week] to prepare, and if [your opponents] go five or six weeks preparing for 4-3 teams, it helps."

Capers speaks from experience, having been associated with the 3-4 in Pittsburgh, Carolina, Jacksonville, Houston, Miami and New England. This is the third time he will be converting a 4-3 team.

Based on his history, the 20th-ranked Packers defense can count on a quick turnaround.

When Capers took over the 25th-ranked Jaguars defense in 1999, the Jaguars moved up 21 spots in the rankings and led the league in scoring defense. And when he changed the Dolphins to a 3-4 in 2006, they went from 18th to fourth in the defensive rankings.

How much three-man front the Packers play will depend partially on how well their holdover veterans adjust to the scheme.

"The most foolish thing you can do is put in a scheme and plug your players into that," Capers said. "You have to have enough flexibility to put your best 11 football players out there and feature what they do best. We know where we would kind of like to go. How fast we'll get there is another thing."

It will help that the Packers used two first-round draft picks on players who were taken specifically for the 3-4 -- nose tackle B.J. Raji and outside linebacker Clay Matthews.

"Both of them have the kind of physical tools to do a lot of the things we like to ask them to do," Capers said. "Raji has really good size and really good athletic ability for his size. He can play nose, he can play defensive end if we ask him to bump out and do that. Matthews had the ability not only to rush but to drop into coverage. We're excited about having them."

While the Packers can be reasonably comfortable knowing Raji and Matthews fit the scheme, they should have more questions about some of their veterans who will be asked to fill new roles.

Among them:

-- Aaron Kampman moving from left defensive end to left outside linebacker. Capers probably won't be asking Kampman to drop into coverage much at about 265 pounds. Capers compares him to Lamar Lathon and Tony Brackens, bigger men who played outside linebacker for him in Carolina and Jacksonville, respectively.

-- Nick Barnett moving from middle linebacker to "Mike" in the 3-4. At 232 pounds, Barnett doesn't have ideal size to take on blockers and be the point man on the power isolations, but Capers compares him to James Farrior of the Steelers, who is listed at 243 pounds. "It's more instincts, ability to run and get to the football," Capers says. "I don't think we necessarily need the big, plugger-type inside linebackers. I like what I've seen of him. I think he'll be a good fit."

--Cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson playing more zone and less press man-to-man. Capers says it's harder for a zone corner to become a man corner than it is a man corner to play zone. He believes Woodson and Harris can handle the new calls.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson also has confidence that his defenders can adapt, so he did not overhaul the defensive personnel.

"Football is football, you know," he said. "Just because you use a zone blocking scheme instead of a power scheme or 3-4 instead of a 4-3, you'll find places to play good football players."

Quick hits: Favre saying he will stay retired is like a politician saying he won't raise taxes. Don't believe it.

--It was a shoddy move by team owners to agree quietly to cut back pension benefits of coaches and front-office employees. When a team is willing to guarantee the first pick in the draft $41.5 million but many teams are not willing to stand by their benefits packages for the little guys, it does not speak very well of the league.

Farley Face
05-15-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-10-pompei-inside-nfl-may10,0,4146320.column

Dom Capers old hand at converting to 3-4
Count on him to boost Green Bay Packers defense

All the off-season talk in the NFC North has been Brett Favre this, Jay Cutler that. Matthew Stafford this, Percy Harvin that.

But the man who could leave as big an imprint as any newcomer in the division is Dom Capers.

The new Packers defensive coordinator is bringing a new flavor of defense to the division -- the 3-4.

The defensive front is gaining popularity. There now are a dozen teams playing three-man fronts in the league, but the Packers will be one of only three doing it in the NFC.

"If you are one of the few, it becomes a little bit of an advantage," Capers said. "There are only three days [each week] to prepare, and if [your opponents] go five or six weeks preparing for 4-3 teams, it helps."

Capers speaks from experience, having been associated with the 3-4 in Pittsburgh, Carolina, Jacksonville, Houston, Miami and New England. This is the third time he will be converting a 4-3 team.

Based on his history, the 20th-ranked Packers defense can count on a quick turnaround.

When Capers took over the 25th-ranked Jaguars defense in 1999, the Jaguars moved up 21 spots in the rankings and led the league in scoring defense. And when he changed the Dolphins to a 3-4 in 2006, they went from 18th to fourth in the defensive rankings.

How much three-man front the Packers play will depend partially on how well their holdover veterans adjust to the scheme.

"The most foolish thing you can do is put in a scheme and plug your players into that," Capers said. "You have to have enough flexibility to put your best 11 football players out there and feature what they do best. We know where we would kind of like to go. How fast we'll get there is another thing."

It will help that the Packers used two first-round draft picks on players who were taken specifically for the 3-4 -- nose tackle B.J. Raji and outside linebacker Clay Matthews.

"Both of them have the kind of physical tools to do a lot of the things we like to ask them to do," Capers said. "Raji has really good size and really good athletic ability for his size. He can play nose, he can play defensive end if we ask him to bump out and do that. Matthews had the ability not only to rush but to drop into coverage. We're excited about having them."

While the Packers can be reasonably comfortable knowing Raji and Matthews fit the scheme, they should have more questions about some of their veterans who will be asked to fill new roles.

Among them:

-- Aaron Kampman moving from left defensive end to left outside linebacker. Capers probably won't be asking Kampman to drop into coverage much at about 265 pounds. Capers compares him to Lamar Lathon and Tony Brackens, bigger men who played outside linebacker for him in Carolina and Jacksonville, respectively.

-- Nick Barnett moving from middle linebacker to "Mike" in the 3-4. At 232 pounds, Barnett doesn't have ideal size to take on blockers and be the point man on the power isolations, but Capers compares him to James Farrior of the Steelers, who is listed at 243 pounds. "It's more instincts, ability to run and get to the football," Capers says. "I don't think we necessarily need the big, plugger-type inside linebackers. I like what I've seen of him. I think he'll be a good fit."

--Cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson playing more zone and less press man-to-man. Capers says it's harder for a zone corner to become a man corner than it is a man corner to play zone. He believes Woodson and Harris can handle the new calls.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson also has confidence that his defenders can adapt, so he did not overhaul the defensive personnel.

"Football is football, you know," he said. "Just because you use a zone blocking scheme instead of a power scheme or 3-4 instead of a 4-3, you'll find places to play good football players."

Quick hits: Favre saying he will stay retired is like a politician saying he won't raise taxes. Don't believe it.

--It was a shoddy move by team owners to agree quietly to cut back pension benefits of coaches and front-office employees. When a team is willing to guarantee the first pick in the draft $41.5 million but many teams are not willing to stand by their benefits packages for the little guys, it does not speak very well of the league.

Thanks Harv, good read.

rbaloha1
05-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Nice article. Expect Carpers to find the correct 11 to play whatever scheme he decides to implement.

Joemailman
05-15-2009, 10:26 PM
"The most foolish thing you can do is put in a scheme and plug your players into that,"

Can't imagine a DC ever being foolish enough to do that. :bang:

CaptainKickass
05-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Great article.

I'm a bit mystified that I had to read that good of an article on the Green Bay Packers and their new defense under Dom...from the friggin Chicago Tribune fer phahx sakes.

Why the hell ain't the regular WI rags and sites posting such eloquence?

I fully agree about the reduction in NFL employees pension benefits. That is total bullshit and they cannot help retain a quality product with such manuvers. Granted some of the folks mentioned make more than a good living, but still...the front office?

NFL....I call bullshit on you.

cpk1994
05-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Great article.

I'm a bit mystified that I had to read that good of an article on the Green Bay Packers and their new defense under Dom...from the friggin Chicago Tribune fer phahx sakes.

Why the hell ain't the regular WI rags and sites posting such eloquence?

I fully agree about the reduction in NFL employees pension benefits. That is total bullshit and they cannot help retain a quality product with such manuvers. Granted some of the folks mentioned make more than a good living, but still...the front office?

NFL....I call bullshit on you.

.Becuase the Wisconmsin papers have an axe to grind with TT over a certain QB. They are mad that TT didn't bend over and kiss a certain QB's ass like they do. When TT and M3 decided after that to snub the WI papers, it only fuled the papers vendetta.

Tony Oday
05-16-2009, 11:12 AM
So this is basically saying that Harris will be less effective this year. He is a stud in man coverage but seems to struggle with zone...anyone else think this?

Maxie the Taxi
05-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Great article, HH. And correct too.

Best free agent aquisition since Mr. White. Let's hope he brings GB the same results.

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2009, 01:47 PM
So this is basically saying that Harris will be less effective this year. He is a stud in man coverage but seems to struggle with zone...anyone else think this?

Yes. He's the guy I'm most worried about in this transition.

RashanGary
05-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm worried about Harris too.

Crazy that he took two separate defenses from ranked about 20th to top 5. If he does that one more time with our defense, it will be the best defense we've had since we lost SB XXXII.

I imagine we'd win a few more games with an elite defense.

Maxie the Taxi
05-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not worried at all about Harris. If he fits in, fine. If he doesn't, I'm confident Capers will go to Plan B. That may involve Harris. It may not. I think it's a lock that Capers will start the best 11 he has and tailor his plan to that talent.

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm worried about Harris too.

Crazy that he took two separate defenses from ranked about 20th to top 5. If he does that one more time with our defense, it will be the best defense we've had since we lost SB XXXII.

I imagine we'd win a few more games with an elite defense.

As I've pointed out before, they actually are shortchanging him. He did the same thing with Pittsburgh's defense.

The Shadow
05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I think a savvy fellow like Capers will return the Packer defense to a strength, rather than the weakness it's been lately.

RashanGary
05-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I stand corrected, Harvey. If he can bring a defense (our defense) from the low 20's to the top 5 for the 4th time in his career then our defense will be the best it's been since SB XXXII. I imagine we'd win a few more games with a top 5 defense ;)

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I feel pretty good because he had several teams to choose from, and he chose Green Bay. It could be because of money. It could be because McCarthy told him he'd have free reign. It could be because he likes the thought of working in Green Bay. However, I have to believe he took a look at the talent on the team, and he decided that he could turn it around.

Scott Campbell
05-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I feel pretty good because he had several teams to choose from, and he chose Green Bay. It could be because of money. It could be because McCarthy told him he'd have free reign. It could be because he likes the thought of working in Green Bay. However, I have to believe he took a look at the talent on the team, and he decided that he could turn it around.

Maybe they promised him 2 first round picks this draft. That'd get my attention.

Partial
05-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Maybe they promised him 2 first round picks this draft. That'd get my attention.

Highly doubt it. No way to predict Matthews would be available there. I tend to believe it's the money and the talent.

Joemailman
05-16-2009, 06:23 PM
I figured it was the brats and beer.

RashanGary
05-16-2009, 06:33 PM

I think it's a combo of a few things. . .

1. Complete control of defense
2. A good fit with McCarthy as far as how practices would be run
3. Money
4. Ted Thompson being one of the most highly respected, hands off GM's in the game (he might feel this team, talent wise, is on the steady rise and have confidence in the GM).
5. A stable offensive situation led by a 26 year old upper tier QB
6. Some solid defensive talent to start with but a commitment to build the team around defense moving forward.

I was a big Greg Williams supporter, but when Capers name surfaced, I read up on him and was ecstatic with what he brought to the table (his past success). I was also excited that he's had a year with the hoodie. The hoodie is doing something right. We need to bring some of that culture to Green Bay.

Joemailman
05-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I stand corrected, Harvey. If he can bring a defense (our defense) from the low 20's to the top 5 for the 4th time in his career then our defense will be the best it's been since SB XXXII. I imagine we'd win a few more games with a top 5 defense ;)

Pretty good chance the Packers are in the Super Bowl with a top 5 defense. It might not even take that. Top 10 makes the Packers one of the top teams in the NFC.

swede
05-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Pretty good chance the Packers are in the Super Bowl with a top 5 defense. It might not even take that. Top 10 makes the Packers one of the top teams in the NFC.

In order for that to happen we'll need some wins in the division. A crazy good defense goes a long way toward making that happen. I cannot wait to see what DC does with those linebackers, Raji, and Pickett.

I'd like to requisition a sweep of the Vikings this year. Which form do I fill out?

Joemailman
05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Packers were 4-2 in the division last year. In the 2 losses, they had leads of 6 and 7 points in the last 5 minutes that the defense couldn't protect. With a good defense, the Packers would have been 6-0 in the division last year.

woodbuck27
05-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Packers were 4-2 in the division last year. In the 2 losses, they had leads of 6 and 7 points in the last 5 minutes that the defense couldn't protect. With a good defense, the Packers would have been 6-0 in the division last year.

There you go. :D

retailguy
05-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I'd like to requisition a sweep of the Vikings this year. Which form do I fill out?

Brett Favre's retirement paperwork... :lol:

LP
05-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Brett Favre's retirement paperwork... :lol:

This begs the question, do you really have to fill it out, or can you just photocopy the paperwork from last time?

MJZiggy
05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Too many layers of white out over the "current team" section...