PDA

View Full Version : Gruden joins MNF team, replacing Kornheiser

packers11
05-18-2009, 10:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174469

Monday, May 18, 2009
Gruden joins 'Monday Night Football'
ESPN.com

Jon Gruden intends to coach again, but until that day, the man known throughout the NFL as "Chucky" will get to sharpen his teeth in ESPN's "Monday Night Football" booth.

Gruden will join play-by-play man Mike Tirico and analyst Ron Jaworski in September, replacing Tony Kornheiser.

"This is a tremendous opportunity and I am very excited to be associated with ESPN and Monday Night Football," Gruden said in a statement released by ESPN. "I grew up a fan of Monday Night Football, and whether I've coached on Monday night or watched, I've hardly missed a game all these years.

"To join Mike and Jaws in the booth and to work alongside this top-notch team is going to be a real thrill."

The 40th season of "Monday Night Football" kicks off Sept. 14 with a doubleheader; the New England Patriots play host to the Buffalo Bills at 7 p.m. ET and the San Diego Chargers visit the Oakland Raiders at 10:15 ET.

Kornheiser decided to step down after three years of MNF. "I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons," he said. "I feel we got better each year. My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself."

"If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden," Kornheiser added. "He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don't -- good hair and a tan. I love PTI and am looking forward to continuing to yammer and yodel with Wilbon until the end of time."

Gruden was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Jan. 16 and replaced by defensive coordinator Raheem Morris just weeks after a season-ending loss to the Raiders cost the Bucs a possible playoff spot.

At 60-57 in seven seasons, Gruden was the winningest coach in Bucs history and led Tampa Bay to victory in Super Bowl XXXVII. He also has coached the Raiders.

Gruden's first MNF appearance will come in an Aug. 13 preseason game that doubles as a Super Bowl rematch between the Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers. Following four preseason games, Gruden, Tirico and Jaworski will call Bills-Patriots on Sept. 14.

"I can't express how much I enjoyed working with Tony the past three years," Tirico said. "It was a professional experience that I enjoyed and a lasting friendship that I will treasure. I think all of us on the show are better for the time we spent working with Tony.

"Looking ahead to this season, I am excited to welcome Jon to Monday Night Football. Every time you are in his company, you come away so impressed by his energy and passion for the game. He will be a perfect fit with our group."

Gruden began his NFL coaching career in 1990 when Mike Holmgren, then offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers, hired him as an assistant in charge of quality control. Gruden quickly ascended through the ranks by learning the famed West Coast offense pioneered by longtime 49ers coach Bill Walsh.

When Holmgren left the 49ers to become head coach of the Green Bay Packers in 1992, he named Gruden the Packers' wide receivers coach. After three seasons in Green Bay, Gruden moved on to become the Philadelphia Eagles' offensive coordinator under head coach Ray Rhodes. In 1998, Gruden was chosen by Oakland owner and general manager Al Davis to be the Raiders' new head coach at the age of 34.

A native of Sandusky, Ohio, Gruden grew up in a football family. His father, Jim, served as an assistant at Notre Dame in the late 1970s and later with the Buccaneers. Gruden graduated from the University of Dayton, where he was a back-up quarterback. After graduation, he started his career as a graduate assistant at Tennessee in 1986. He also served as the quarterbacks coach at Southeast Missouri State (1987-88), and the wide receivers coach at both Pacific (1989) and Pittsburgh (1991) in the college ranks.

Gruden worked as a guest analyst earlier this year with the NFL Network during the NFL draft and scouting combine.

BYEEEE KORNHEISSERR!!!! Don't let the door hit you on the way out... Maybe they can actually focus on the game now...

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
AWESOME!

Partial
05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Personally, I'm excited for CC on Sunday night football. He's the best announcer out there in my opinion. He does a great job on NFLN only to be ruined by kermit voice.

Southoftheborder
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
AWESOME!

I second that. The last season with Farve was unbearable to hear him talk. Even being a big Packer and Farve fan, I was sickened over the conversation that came out of his mouth. He sucked.

Chevelle2
05-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Personally, I'm excited for CC on Sunday night football. He's the best announcer out there in my opinion. He does a great job on NFLN only to be ruined by kermit voice.

Refresh my memory, who is CC?

:oops:

Edit: Charlie Casserly?

Zool
05-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Chris Collinsworth

Pack-man
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
As long as that idiot Kornheiser is gone who really cares who replaces him!

Little Whiskey
05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
is Kornheiser really madden? look at the commonalities.

1. football announcer
2. announced on MNF.
3. Love Favre.
4. both quit this year.
5. both fear flying.

when is kornhieser 2010 comming out for ps3? who is on the cover?

Bossman641
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
:bclap:

cpk1994
05-18-2009, 01:24 PM
AWESOME!

I second that. The last season with Favre was unbearable to hear him talk. Even being a big Packer and Favre fan, I was sickened over the conversation that came out of his mouth. He sucked.It was so bad, even Jaws was pissed off and ripped into him.

MadScientist
05-18-2009, 02:12 PM
"If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden," Kornheiser added. "He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don't -- good hair and a tan. "
That's 4 things Korny doesn't have.

Even Howard Cosell would be better. Not the Cosell from his days on MNF, the dead Cosell of today. Clattering bones, or a quiet urn full of ashes would make more intelligent commentary than Kornheiser.

Fritz
05-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Hooray! Kornheiser's exit is official!

Joemailman
05-18-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm glad Kornheiser is gone, but I thought Gruden was at best mediocre on NFL Network. Then again, I've never been on the Gruden bandwagon, so maybe I was prejudiced.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-18-2009, 06:37 PM
"If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden," Kornheiser added. "He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don't -- good hair and a tan. "

Even Howard Cosell would be better. Not the Cosell from his days on MNF, the dead Cosell of today. Clattering bones, or a quiet urn full of ashes would make more intelligent commentary than Kornheiser.

Kornheiser is both smart and funny. MNF was just the wrong vehicle for his talents.

His radio show was hilarious.

Stevogbfan
05-18-2009, 06:37 PM
thank god, Kornheiser really sucked and i think john g will do a great job...
now lets just hope he doesn't want to make a comeback like his best buddy

MJZiggy
05-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Michele's gonna wet herself.

gbgary
05-18-2009, 07:37 PM
thank god. gruden may be pretty good.

GBRulz
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
LOL - Zig, I about screamed when I heard this earlier!

Two great things happened here today!! First, we got rid of Kornhole and second, we got some fantastic eye candy :)

pbmax
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Kornheiser is both smart and funny. MNF was just the wrong vehicle for his talents.

Agree 100%. The job he was asked to do, bring the game conversation to people who do not regularly follow football was a fool's errand. This wasn't the same audience mix as it was on broadcast TV during the 70s.

He is much smarter than that. I am surprised it hadn't blown up before now. But the person most misplaced is Tirico. He talks as much as Al Michaels and is far less knowledgeable. He left precious little room for Kornheiser and Jaws to get a back and forth going except for Favre-A-Polooza, which was a one man show.

I like Tirico's work, but there was no air in that booth sometimes. Chucky will be all football attitude but he might make a better fit for time. The question I have is will they let Chucky and Jaws go at it over football X and O minutiae? Because the can both cover this from the offense's perspective.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Agree 100%. The job he was asked to do, bring the game conversation to people who do not regularly follow football was a fool's errand. This wasn't the same audience mix as it was on broadcast TV during the 70s.

He is much smarter than that. I am surprised it hadn't blown up before now. But the person most misplaced is Tirico. He talks as much as Al Michaels and is far less knowledgeable. He left precious little room for Kornheiser and Jaws to get a back and forth going except for Favre-A-Polooza, which was a one man show.

I like Tirico's work, but there was no air in that booth sometimes. Chucky will be all football attitude but he might make a better fit for time. The question I have is will they let Chucky and Jaws go at it over football X and O minutiae? Because the can both cover this from the offense's perspective.

I like the cut of your jib. :wink:

MJZiggy
05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
LOL - Zig, I about screamed when I heard this earlier!

Two great things happened here today!! First, we got rid of Kornhole and second, we got some fantastic eye candy :)

I saw the article and thought of you instantly.

GrnBay007
05-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Wonder if he will make those crazy faces on camera while he's announcing....like he did while he was coaching? He wouldn't be Chucky with that!!! :D

MOBB DEEP
05-18-2009, 10:49 PM

XACTLY! he's a beast

similar to dennis miller being placed in wrong venue: too many non-intellects tune into mnf imho

oregonpackfan
05-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I never liked Kornheiser as a football announcer. He had just a maginal knowledge of pro football but came off as a know-it-all who belittled the opinions of his more knowledgeable colleages.

I also did not like how he continually stated the Packers made a mistake in letting Favre go. Favre's poor performance at the middle and end of the season as well as Rodgers very good first year as a starter showed the Packers made the right decision.

MOBB DEEP
05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I never liked Kornheiser as a football announcer. He had just a maginal knowledge of pro football but came off as a know-it-all who belittled the opinions of his more knowledgeable colleages.

I also did not like how he continually stated the Packers made a mistake in letting Favre go. Favre's poor performance at the middle and end of the season as well as Rodgers very good first year as a starter showed the Packers made the right decision.

probowler v. leadn team to 6-10

8-3 before TORN BICEP hindered him

Zool
05-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Favre not a Packer, yet Kornhole was continuously slurpin on Favre during Packer games. Got really old. Tirico actually told him to stop mentioning Favre during the Vikings game somewhere in the 4th quarter.

Fritz
05-19-2009, 07:02 AM

What he said.

cpk1994
05-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Favre not a Packer, yet Kornhole was continuously slurpin on Favre during Packer games. Got really old. Tirico actually told him to stop mentioning Favre during the Vikings game somewhere in the 4th quarter.It was Jaws who told Kornhieser to knock it off first, then Tirico kind of joined in.

cpk1994
05-19-2009, 09:33 AM

8-3 before TORN BICEP hindered him6-10 wasn't Rodgers fault. YOu are totally ignorant(not suprising) iof you believe otherwise. Aslo, Favre's pro bowl selection was a farce.

ThunderDan
05-19-2009, 11:39 AM

Here are Favre's stats thru the his first 11 games.
245/347 2,461 yards 20td 13int 10.0 yards per completion, 7.09 ypa

Here are Rodgers's stat's thru 11 games:
228/359 2,599y 17td 9int 11.4 ypc, 7.24 ypa

How are Favre's first 11 games stats any better than Rodgers?

mraynrand
05-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Favre had 20 TDs to Rodger's 17.

Zool
05-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Favre had 20 TDs to Rodger's 17.

Also if you count the INT's he had a lot less balls hit the ground than Rodgers did.

pbmax
05-19-2009, 12:40 PM
I have some news for you, Tirico knows nothing about pro football that Kornheiser doesn't. What makes Kornheiser a good listen is that he is very cynical about typical media/player/coach blather that fills the airways.

On his radio show, he usually featured Jaws, John Riggins and local beat guys for his NFL coverage, rather than the usual suspects of Mort, Clayton et al. Rather than the steady drumbeat about who was winning the offseason and the Breaking News docudrams, you might get something truly interesting, funny or completely non-timely. It was a joy to listen to.

The problem with TV is that he must sit in opposition to Jaws for the 3 man booth to work. And his role is was reduced to including everyman in the show, which led to some ridiculous Q & As with Jaws. If Tirico had just been handed the Summerall minimalist role instead of trying to be Al Michaels or Bob Costas, there might have been room for an interview to occur between Kornheiser and Jaws. We'll never know.

oregonpackfan
05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I have some news for you, Tirico knows nothing about pro football that Kornheiser doesn't. What makes Kornheiser a good listen is that he is very cynical about typical media/player/coach blather that fills the airways.

On his radio show, he usually featured Jaws, John Riggins and local beat guys for his NFL coverage, rather than the usual suspects of Mort, Clayton et al. Rather than the steady drumbeat about who was winning the offseason and the Breaking News docudrams, you might get something truly interesting, funny or completely non-timely. It was a joy to listen to.

The problem with TV is that he must sit in opposition to Jaws for the 3 man booth to work. And his role is was reduced to including everyman in the show, which led to some ridiculous Q & As with Jaws. If Tirico had just been handed the Summerall minimalist role instead of trying to be Al Michaels or Bob Costas, there might have been room for an interview to occur between Kornheiser and Jaws. We'll never know.

I disagree with your statement that Tirico does not know any more than Kornheiser. Tirico appears to do much more research about the game than Kornheiser. He is also far more objective in his evaluations and much less opinionated.

Torico also respects the divergent opinions of others. Kornheiser is narrowly opinionated and condescending towards others who do not share the same view as his.

Again, I am delighted Kornheiser is out of the MNF booth.

pbmax
05-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I disagree with your statement that Tirico does not know any more than Kornheiser. Tirico appears to do much more research about the game than Kornheiser. He is also far more objective in his evaluations and much less opinionated.

Torico also respects the divergent opinions of others. Kornheiser is narrowly opinionated and condescending towards others who do not share the same view as his.

Tirico's research is mostly bullet points from Elias that he can bring up during the course of the game. Personally, I blame Elias for stats such as "When X runs for 100 yards, Team Y wins the game" etc. So while I like his announcing, his analysis is underwhelming.

Kornheiser's job was to engage in an ongoing debate/argument with the Jaws, he is not there to lend coaching or playing credence to the call. So I have no problem with opinionated. I like this approach, but it was too often limited to the hottest topic (Favre).

Tyrone Bigguns
05-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Tirico's research is mostly bullet points from Elias that he can bring up during the course of the game. Personally, I blame Elias for stats such as "When X runs for 100 yards, Team Y wins the game" etc. So while I like his announcing, his analysis is underwhelming.

Kornheiser's job was to engage in an ongoing debate/argument with the Jaws, he is not there to lend coaching or playing credence to the call. So I have no problem with opinionated. I like this approach, but it was too often limited to the hottest topic (Favre).

I'm with you on that. I can't stand that shit. ESPN is the king of this type of worthless/useless minutiae.

SnakeLH2006
05-20-2009, 02:55 AM

I like the cut of your jib. :wink:

Snake don't agree with Ty's take. Tirico is underrated. Cornheiser, stick to radio buddy. Don't know about the new pretty boy though, haven't heard him, but can't be worse than Theismann.

Harlan Huckleby
05-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Kornheiser is good as a participant on one of those noisy ESPN talk shows. He is just too much to take for a 3-hour football game.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 08:23 AM
BRING BACK DENNIS MILLER!!!!

MOBB DEEP
05-20-2009, 09:00 AM

dito.....

MOBB DEEP
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM

8-3 before TORN BICEP hindered him6-10 wasn't Rodgers fault. YOu are totally ignorant(not suprising) iof you believe otherwise. Aslo, Favre's pro bowl selection was a farce.

omg, u're STILL name-calling?

u didnt read the bible verses i recommended i guess?!

if u're not a happy joyful person then renew your mind, seek peace and pursue it...rmember this forum and the posts/posters' opinions are irrelevant in the grand scheme of life. pump your brakes and stop taking menial things SO serious...count your blessings (start with thanking God he wakes u each morning) and pray for others

now, if lord favre doest come back i will slit both wrists.... :(

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM

dito.....

Unfortunately, that makes a grand total of 2 of us.

cpk1994
05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

omg, u're STILL name-calling?

u didnt read the bible verses i recommended i guess?!

if u're not a happy joyful person then renew your mind, seek peace and pursue it...rmember this forum and the posts/posters' opinions are irrelevant in the grand scheme of life. pump your brakes and stop taking menial things SO serious...count your blessings (start with thanking God he wakes u each morning) and pray for others

now, if lord favre doest come back i will slit both wrists.... :(Oh my God, you still haven't learned english?

Guiness
05-21-2009, 12:54 PM

dito.....

Unfortunately, that makes a grand total of 2 of us.

No, 3. I was just about to post that I think I was the only white 30 something yr old male in North America who liked him as a football announcer. But I don't drink Budweiser, so he was screwed.