PDA

View Full Version : Favre and the Hall of Fame: What's Your Reaction?

SnakeLH2006
05-20-2009, 02:24 AM
This shit is comical lately on the Rats Forums, just like last year. Favre supporters, detractors, etc....those in between.

Snake's Take:

Unlike last year, he's off our hands now, and just a player. I for one, was pretty vocal being a Favre supporter last year in the TT/Favre debacle, but have softened much now seeing Favre as being immature/sullen/etc. but still respect what he did AS A PLAYER to give us a winning record most every year.

Some detract that, that's ok, as Snake is kinda in the middle, as this shit will blow over a year after he retires whenever it is. Time heals all wounds.

My only question was this. Say 5 years from next year, in 2015 he'll prob. (I'm assuming he plays for Minn. this year in 2009) who will still support him for his Canton incantation as one of the best NFL players of our generation? Grudges then, now? Or was he a great player you can forgive?

Seems so many are quick to throw him under the bus for his behavior lately, but Snake don't care as he's not OUR property, and don't care about the last year or so. Arod did well, and I like that kid.

Kinda funny, but I don't mind seeing him play (as Fritz called it car wreck, but still gotta watch). He WAS entertaining last year to watch in NJ till he burned out his arm, and at 40 if he brings it, sobeit. I'll still watch, but the hell if I want the Vikes to beat us one on one or the division.

I don't like that he's adamant to be a Vike, but the Pack is #1 by far in Snake's book, so bring it old man, as he's gonna go out sorry no matter what, but still like watching him play. There's a reason he's all over ESPN daily, he's entertaining and just good enough at 40 to still play. That is something. I don't think it's so bad to want to watch him play, as I and many do, or that many want him retired. Just this: What about Canton?

What's your take then, as this Favre shit has taken over PackerRats again just like last year, but Snake is outta this conversation, as I look at him as a former player (but very entertaining and fun to watch no matter what)?

Support/fuck him/etc. It's fun to see the views as there has to be an end-all topic for this Favre madness, no? :shock: :shock: :oops: :lol:

Pacopete4
05-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Brett Favre not being in the HOF Packers or NFL is one of the most laughable things ever...

SnakeLH2006
05-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Brett Favre not being in the HOF Packers or NFL is one of the most laughable things ever...

Who said that? Favre's HOF no matter what yo. LOL, relax Paco, this poll is 100% that Favre makes the HOF. You know Snake bro. I like Brett. This poll is just how peep around here react to him in Canton 2015. What's your vote? Like Snake don't know it though. :lol:

RashanGary
05-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Hell Yeah!!!! Because he earned it with his hard work, great play and longevity.

Just because he's in doesn't mean we have to remember him as a good teammate or a good guy though. That won't go away for me.

sheepshead
05-20-2009, 07:11 AM
I don't understand.

Partial
05-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Just because he's in doesn't mean we have to remember him as a good teammate or a good guy though. That won't go away for me.

This is the kind of stuff that I think is ridiculous.

Good guy?

He has raised thousands and thousands of others for charity and put in tons of community service hours. Have you done this? If the answer is No, then you're a worse person than Brett Favre.

Do you routinely go in to work voluntarily when you don't have to when you won't get paid for putting in the extra time? If the answer is No, once again you're no better of a person than Brett Favre.

Would you be upset if you quit your job at 38 and your company had an exclusive contract with you, where you could ONLY work for them, and they would make you sit in meetings all day long not doing anything but recording minutes from said meetings, but the company wouldn't let you out of the contract to find work elsewhere? How awful would that be?!? Horrible. If you would be irritated by this, you're no better than Brett Favre.

If you're going to bash his character, I don't think you can do that over any recent actions. I'd go back in his twenties when he wasn't faithful to his wife, etc.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Would you be upset if you quit your job at 38 and your company had an exclusive contract with you, where you could ONLY work for them, and they would make you sit in meetings all day long not doing anything but recording minutes from said meetings, but the company wouldn't let you out of the contract to find work elsewhere? How awful would that be?!? Horrible.

You left out the $10M part. It's not quite as horrible with that in there.

Partial
05-20-2009, 07:57 AM
You left out the $10M part. It's not quite as horrible with that in there.

Money is all relative. While that may seem like a lot to you or I, thats a typical years earnings for Brett. I would be so pissed if I was forced to either A) sit at home and not work anywhere, or B) sit in meetings all day long and take notes for my modest salary. That would be awful.

I'd gladly do it for 10 million, though, since I'm not a millionaire :D

Bossman641
05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Partial, your analogy doesn't really work. Favre retired, then wanted to come back on his terms, the Packers still had his rights so it was their choice to do whatever they wanted. If you want to compare that to any regular work situation it would be a high up employee quitting, signing a non-compete agreement, and then wanting to come work for the company again. The company has no responsibility to take him back, and since they have the non-compete agreement they also have no responsibility to care what the ex-employee now wants. The company has every right to act in their own self-interests. It was the employee's mistake.

For someone who seems to care so much about personal responsibility and dealing with the situation one has gotten themself into, you seem to be awfully forgiving of Favre.

Zool
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
If my employer had paid me $100mil over the course of 16 years, I think I would do just about anything they asked me to. I'd be mighty fucking grateful.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Partial, your analogy doesn't really work.

Somebody may make a signature out of that comment.

Bossman641
05-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Partial you also conveniently left out the Packers' retirement gift or merchandising offer or whatever the hell it was called. I can't even remember how much it was for now. *EDIT 20 million*

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Partial you also conveniently left out the Packers' retirement gift or merchandising offer or whatever the hell it was called.

How dare they insult him like that. Off with their heads.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I heard a rumor that his induction speech would be given by Greta Van Susteren. That would be fitting.

Bossman641
05-20-2009, 09:45 AM
I heard a rumor that his induction speech would be given by Greta Van Susteren. That would be fitting.

Are you sure she knows the names of the Packers, Jets, and Vikings?

Gunakor
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
He's earned his way into the HOF. Unless he does something that would seriously hurt the game itself, like Pete Rose in baseball for example, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be there. His recent antics have cast a shadow over his personal character, but do not take away from his career accomplishments as a football player. He belongs in the HOF.

Gunakor
05-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Do you routinely go in to work voluntarily when you don't have to when you won't get paid for putting in the extra time? If the answer is No, once again you're no better of a person than Brett Favre.

Partial, Favre has a problem showing up for mandatory work, even when he IS getting paid for it. You know, minicamps, OTA's, etc. I may not have put in as much voluntary work as Favre has, but I've always shown up for the mandatory stuff in life. And I don't get paid millions of dollars to do it. Using this example specifically, I don't see how this makes Favre a better person than I.

Fritz
05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
seems like a bit of a silly poll - of course he's a hall of famer. Ty Cobb is a hall of famer and he was a notorious ass hat. Heck, Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame.

Brett Favre is a guy weighted down in a morass of pride, uncertainty, and brittleness. That wouldn't get anyone left out of the hall of fame. Well, maybe Jack Morris. But he treated the media badly and is being punished for it.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 01:00 PM
seems like a bit of a silly poll - of course he's a hall of famer. Ty Cobb is a hall of famer and he was a notorious ass hat. Heck, Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame.

Brett Favre is a guy weighted down in a morass of pride, uncertainty, and brittleness. That wouldn't get anyone left out of the hall of fame. Well, maybe Jack Morris. But he treated the media badly and is being punished for it.

Jack Morris isn't in the HOF?

Man, it's hard to get in the baseball HOF.

LP
05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
If my employer had paid me $100mil over the course of 16 years, I think I would do just about anything they asked me to. I'd be mighty fucking grateful.

If I had that kind of money, I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to go back to work! :)

DonHutson
05-20-2009, 03:19 PM
What the hell does any of this have to do with the Hall of Fame? He earned his place there 10 years ago.

mraynrand
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
If he plays for the Vikings this year, I will boo and heckle him as though he were Randy Moss, but I will be front and center for the HOF induction. My view is that Favre is one of the top 5 QBs of all time, and he played for my favorite team of all time - in any sport. Gotta love that! There was nothing so exciting as watching Favre play for a decade and a half. Come HOF time I will be thinking about the Superbowl appearances and a victory, all the playoff wins, the last minute drives to beat Minnesota, the crazy plays like against the Rams in 1996, the great plays, the complete domination of the Bears at Lambeau South, Bear Hugging Kevin Greene after faking him out of his shorts in a 1999 game against Carolina, throwing snowballs in the Divisional game v. Seattle, The fireman lifts of his WRs, the crazy runs, playing with a broken thumb, playing with a taped ankle, the 40 yard passes on a rope running to his left, stiff-arming LBs, etc. etc. Love that Favre!

Packers4Ever
05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
If he plays for the Vikings this year, I will boo and heckle him as though he were Randy Moss, but I will be front and center for the HOF induction. My view is that Favre is one of the top 5 QBs of all time, and he played for my favorite team of all time - in any sport. Gotta love that! There was nothing so exciting as watching Favre play for a decade and a half. Come HOF time I will be thinking about the Superbowl appearances and a victory, all the playoff wins, the last minute drives to beat Minnesota, the crazy plays like against the Rams in 1996, the great plays, the complete domination of the Bears at Lambeau South, Bear Hugging Kevin Greene after faking him out of his shorts in a 1999 game against Carolina, throwing snowballs in the Divisional game v. Seattle, The fireman lifts of his WRs, the crazy runs, playing with a broken thumb, playing with a taped ankle, the 40 yard passes on a rope running to his left, stiff-arming LBs, etc. etc. Love that Favre!

How could you NOT love this guy when reminiscing on so many years
of enjoying watching him play. Sure, we haven't been too happy with the events of the past 2 years or so, but I think those good memories will come out ahead and many more of us will remember the good times. :wink:

[/b]

Partial
05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Partial, your analogy doesn't really work. Favre retired, then wanted to come back on his terms, the Packers still had his rights so it was their choice to do whatever they wanted. If you want to compare that to any regular work situation it would be a high up employee quitting, signing a non-compete agreement, and then wanting to come work for the company again. The company has no responsibility to take him back, and since they have the non-compete agreement they also have no responsibility to care what the ex-employee now wants. The company has every right to act in their own self-interests. It was the employee's mistake.

For someone who seems to care so much about personal responsibility and dealing with the situation one has gotten themself into, you seem to be awfully forgiving of Favre.

So you're telling me you wouldn't be upset? Technically what they did was legally fair, but that doesn't make it right. You would be absolutely pissed, whether you earned 100 mil or 100k.

Your analogy is horrible imo. There is only one NFL. He can't go play football for the Milwaukee Wave. A regular executive could go find a job at any number of industries. Non-compete's are to be enforced by the employer and they would have to be pursued in a court of law. Favre legally cannot even speak with these other teams without the Packers permission, who wouldn't grant it.

He was paid fair market value. Money is absolutely irrelevant. If you had 100 million do you really think you'd care about the next 10 or 20?

Partial
05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Partial you also conveniently left out the Packers' retirement gift or merchandising offer or whatever the hell it was called. I can't even remember how much it was for now. *EDIT 20 million*

What does this have to do with anything? How many people get golden parachutes and return to work? A lot.

Partial
05-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Partial, Favre has a problem showing up for mandatory work, even when he IS getting paid for it. You know, minicamps, OTA's, etc. I may not have put in as much voluntary work as Favre has, but I've always shown up for the mandatory stuff in life. And I don't get paid millions of dollars to do it. Using this example specifically, I don't see how this makes Favre a better person than I.

What mandatory stuff has he missed? You mean like playing in every game?!?

Gunakor
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM

You know, minicamps, OTA's, etc.

Partial
05-20-2009, 09:36 PM

He was given off by a coach for minicamp. Would you go in to work on Memorial day if your boss gave you off? :wink: OTAs are optional. Chuck Woodson did them for the first time in his career last year, yet he never gets flamed for it. I think it's pretty unfair to judge a guy for not going to optional work.

Gunakor
05-20-2009, 09:42 PM

He was given off by a coach for minicamp. Would you go in to work on Memorial day if your boss gave you off? :wink: OTAs are optional. Chuck Woodson did them for the first time in his career last year, yet he never gets flamed for it. I think it's pretty unfair to judge a guy for not going to optional work.

Okay, mandatory is the wrong word. What's the word for something the rest of your team is doing and you are not?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Brett is the QB. Brett is the leader.

Leaders don't ask for or take off days.

MJZiggy
05-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Preparing for the season?

Okay, mandatory is the wrong word. What's the word for something the rest of your team is doing and you are not?

Partial
05-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Mandatory isn't the correct word, I agree.

The rest of the team isn't doing OTAs. Guys like Clifton (vet), Woodson (vet), Harris (vet), etc are getting some R&R and recovering from the prior season. The OTAs and whatnot are for the young guys and the workaholics.

Strahan would skip OTAs. Ogden would miss OTAs. I'm sure I could continue, but you get the point. The vets don't have anything to prove in those situations.

Zool
05-20-2009, 10:41 PM
He was paid fair market value. Money is absolutely irrelevant. If you had 100 million do you really think you'd care about the next 10 or 20?

This is the last time I'm going to say this to you. HE QUIT. He wasn't forced out. No one fired him. He wasn't cut. No one could possibly have forced him to make a decision. All he had to do was not retire and all this BS never happens.

mission
05-20-2009, 10:42 PM

If I had that kind of money, I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to go back to work! :)

You and me both. Plus you can forget about the farm, gimme an island! :knll:

Partial
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM

This is the last time I'm going to say this to you. HE QUIT. He wasn't forced out. No one fired him. He wasn't cut. No one could possibly have forced him to make a decision. All he had to do was not retire and all this BS never happens.

Right, but you can quit your job and get another one. You can't in the NFL. They wouldn't let him compete for the starting job imo, but thats up for debate. With that said, he was essentially told he has to sit in meetings and record minutes all day, or sit at home and not work, since they wouldn't let him work for anyone else (until they caved and agreed to trade him)

Partial
05-20-2009, 10:44 PM

I agree with you and I don't think its right, but it is what it is and its pretty common throughout the NFL. I don't think Favre received any more extra care than say a Strahan, for example, who was another teams leader.

mission
05-20-2009, 10:45 PM

I agree with you and I don't think its right, but it is what it is and its pretty common throughout the NFL. I don't think Favre received any more extra care than say a Strahan, for example, who was another teams leader.

Now you're really grasping, Partial ... :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Prima donna?

A temperamental person; a person who takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-20-2009, 10:52 PM

QB is always the top leader. Nobody talks about getting rid of lineman because they aren't leaders.

Favre got lots of special attention and was allowed to slide.

Bossman641

Right, but you can quit your job and get another one. You can't in the NFL. They wouldn't let him compete for the starting job imo, but thats up for debate. With that said, he was essentially told he has to sit in meetings and record minutes all day, or sit at home and not work, since they wouldn't let him work for anyone else (until they caved and agreed to trade him)

Then he shouldn't have quit.

Partial

Am I? I'm a 100% believer that your QB is your leader. It comes with the territory. However, the older HOF type studs around the league often skip that stuff. It's pretty common.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Am I? I'm a 100% believer that your QB is your leader. It comes with the territory. However, the older HOF type studs around the league often skip that stuff. It's pretty common.

Grasping.

Partial
05-20-2009, 11:19 PM

Then he shouldn't have quit.

This is a really ignorant approach. Put yourself in that position and you'd feel trapped.

Plenty of other players (Jordan, White, Holyfield) have entered and exited retirement multiple times yet they were always welcomed back to their respective sport.

Had Rodgers not been a promosing prospect, I think the Packers would have handled the situation differently. Also, if he was 30 instead of 39 I think they would have handled the situation differently.

It's over and done with, but I think you guys are taking a pretty jaded view towards this. Favre was a good guy for the most part and a good teammate who made a bad decision and ultimately paid dearly for it. Was it fair? I don't really think so given he's a vet and plenty of other vets have done similar things and were treated much better by their clubs. It's open to interpretation though I guess.

Bossman641
05-20-2009, 11:45 PM
This is a really ignorant approach. Put yourself in that position and you'd feel trapped.
I think I'd also place most of the blame on myself for realizing I was the one who made the decision and if there was a mistake made it was my mistake.

Plenty of other players (Jordan, White, Holyfield) have entered and exited retirement multiple times yet they were always welcomed back to their respective sport.
Reggie White? Retired once
Holyfield? Comparing an individual sport to a team sport? I hope you can do better than that.
I honestly can't say for sure why Jordan retired the first time. He said it was because he no longer had the desire to play after his father's death. It also could have been because he had accomplished it all and had nobody else to push him. The conspiracists would have you belive the retirement was a cover and Jordan was suspended for a year to deal with his gambling problems. Jordan's second retirement came at the dismantling of the Bulls' championship team. Phil Jackson, Pipper, and Rodman gone. Maybe he didn't want to deal with a rebuilding team. He also didn't do the yearly will he or won't he that Favre has done for many years running.

Had Rodgers not been a promosing prospect, I think the Packers would have handled the situation differently. Also, if he was 30 instead of 39 I think they would have handled the situation differently.
Ya think? Favre wasn't 30 though. Maybe the organization thought Rodgers was better than Favre. Maybe they feared Arod would request a trade or not resign if he was forced to sit on the bench again. I'd gladly take 6-8 years of Arod in his prime and not having to groom another QB over 1-2 years of a 39 year old Favre.

It's over and done with, but I think you guys are taking a pretty jaded view towards this. Favre was a good guy for the most part and a good teammate who made a bad decision and ultimately paid dearly for it. Was it fair? I don't really think so given he's a vet and plenty of other vets have done similar things and were treated much better by their clubs. It's open to interpretation though I guess.
I'm not sure how much of the good teammate line I buy. He turned me off with how he treated Rodgers, but I'm not gonna sit here and argue his character. I'd love to hear about all these other vets, specifically QB's.

Partial
05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
The Packers forced him to make a decision. They pressured him into it. Knowing they have Rodgers there anyway, what was the rush?

White retired from the Pack and came back w/ Carolina. No bitter divorce. Jordan had a very bitter divorce and his retirement was the reason the team was dismantled, not the other way around.

I agree with you on the points below this. I think it's a shitty way to treat a veteran player, though.

There is a story on Yahoo right now how Brady no-showed at the Pats camp (I recognize he's injured). He's been working out at facilities at other times during the off-season, yet he skipped OTAs.

Chris Simms is skipping OTAs. Jay Cutler is too. Adrian Wilson as well. Jared Allen as well. Urlacher too.

Look up Jonathan Ogden skipping OTAs, Strahan most of camp as well. Why does it matter if they're a QB?!? They're all veteran, HOF players who know the game inside and out and have delivered year after year despite missing OTAs.

Lots of players skip OTAs. Is Nick Collins a bad person and teammate for skipping OTAs? Chuck? Harris? Clifton? It's a vet thing.

Bossman641
05-21-2009, 12:23 AM
The Packers forced him to make a decision. They pressured him into it. Knowing they have Rodgers there anyway, what was the rush?
We're back to whose side of the story you want to believe. I don't remember the exact details and I don't feel like searching for them now, but in the version I choose to believe TT and MM didn't pressure Favre and even told him to take more time to think when he said he wanted to retire.

White retired from the Pack and came back w/ Carolina. No bitter divorce.
I don't remember how the White return went down, if he was still under contract with the Packers when he returned to Carolina or not.

Jordan had a very bitter divorce and his retirement was the reason the team was dismantled, not the other way around.
Sorry, but you are dead wrong here. That Bulls season was the farewell tour, and everyone knew it. Krause and Jackson hated one another. Krause had signed Jackson to only a one year deal the summer before and flat out said at the time there was no way Jackson would be coming back after that. Pippen mentioned during the season how he wanted to be traded. The only person I don't remember what they did with was Rodman, if they tried to resign him during the year or offseason at all.

From Wiki

Krause and head coach Phil Jackson had been friends for years, but their relationship was, in Jackson's opinion, shattered early in the 1990s after Chicago Tribune reporter Sam Smith published a book on the 1991 title team, The Jordan Rules. The book detailed the tension that already existed between Krause and the players, and ultimately drove a wedge between Krause and Jackson.[12] Regardless of the success Jackson had as head coach of the Bulls, the tension between Jackson and Krause grew in the succeeding years, and by the 1997–98 season, was especially illustrated by the following incidents:

During the summer of 1997, Krause's stepdaughter got married. All of the Bulls assistant coaches and their wives were invited to the wedding, as was Tim Floyd, then the head coach at Iowa State, whom Krause was openly courting as Jackson's successor (and who would eventually succeed Jackson). Jackson and his wife at the time, June, were not even told of the wedding, much less invited, only finding out about the event when the wife of Cartwright, who by that time had become a Bulls assistant, asked June what she would be wearing to the reception.[13]
After contentious negotiations between Jackson and the Bulls in that same period, Jackson was signed for the 1997-98 season only. Krause announced the signing in what Chicago media widely considered to be a mean-spirited manner, emphasizing that Jackson would not be rehired even if the Bulls won the 1997–98 title. That triggered an argument between Jackson and Krause in which Jackson essentially told Krause that he seemed to be rooting for the other side and not the Bulls. At that point, Krause told Jackson, "I don't care if it's 82-and-0 this year, you're fucking gone."[14]
Krause publicly portrayed Jackson as a two-faced character who had very little regard for his assistant coaches, a perception that certain Krause associates in the Bulls organization had sought to spread about Jackson. At the height of the hard feelings in the spring of 1998, one of Krause's scouts went to press row in Chicago's United Center to explain to a reporter the insidious nature of Jackson's ego (excerpt from the Phil Jackson biography Mindgames).
The 1998 season was labeled the "Last Dance" after several key members of the Bulls faced free agency in the upcoming season.[citation needed] Pippen, who had long desired a massive contract extension after years of being underpaid, criticized Krause and threatened to leave following the season

I agree with you on the points below this. I think it's a shitty way to treat a veteran player, though.

There is a story on Yahoo right now how Brady no-showed at the Pats camp (I recognize he's injured). He's been working out at facilities at other times during the off-season, yet he skipped OTAs.

Chris Simms is skipping OTAs. Jay Cutler is too. Adrian Wilson as well. Jared Allen as well. Urlacher too.

Look up Jonathan Ogden skipping OTAs, Strahan most of camp as well. Why does it matter if they're a QB?!? They're all veteran, HOF players who know the game inside and out and have delivered year after year despite missing OTAs.

Lots of players skip OTAs. Is Nick Collins a bad person and teammate for skipping OTAs? Chuck? Harris? Clifton? It's a vet thing.
There's nothing wrong with skipping OTA's as long as the coach and player have an agreement in place. The problem is when the player no longer realizes that he is being granted a privilege and instead thinks it is his right. Favre crossed that line.

Cutler was at the Bear OTA. Where'd you hear otherwise?

BZnDallas
05-21-2009, 12:25 AM

what about being a coach?... what about an announcer?... the packers didn't say he couldn't earn a paycheck in other ways from the NFL... what about a greeter at walmart?... :wink:

th87
05-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Here's what I posted some time back:

I decided to go back and watch:

1. Favre's retirement PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kACbVGsWN74

2. Favre's interview on Letterman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLZCtlVu64

3. Favre's interview with Greta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBc2aHH943U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRRXTdZfJ90

In light of what we know today, it is very interesting to see what was said. Certain sentences seem to have a lot more meaning today than they did then.

My take is that Favre is a sincere person, and EXTREMELY emotional, where those emotions may get in the way of better judgment from time to time.

When he retired, he looked very sincere in doing so. It did not look like he was forced into a decision, or forced to step down, or urged in that direction by TT. Not only did he say so, I saw a man, who, at the time was done with football. He wanted out, and was saying goodbye to the game and the fans. The retirement seemed 100% genuine and authentic.

The Letterman interview was interesting. To paraphrase: "By the time training camp comes around, something's bound to happen." The way he delivered it, it seems like this concept was on his mind, and gave a little "Oh whoops!" type grin. This tells me that he was definitely thinking about a comeback, but it hadn't materialized yet in his mind, so there was no use dwelling on it.

Between that point, and the Van Susteren interview, things began to snowball. Rumors flew that he wanted to come back, and Favre sent text messages denying this.

Then the Susteren interview. It is here where Favre lost many, many points in my book. He alleges that TT and MM wanted a decision from him before he was technically ready. But based on what I said above about the retirement speech, I have trouble buying this assertion. He looked completely done, and thought it over in his head. What do indecisive people generally do? Do they make a hasty decision, or do they go back and forth, and then finally come to a decision? I don't believe a "thinker" like Favre would choose to make that big of a decision in his life without being sure about it.

But let's assume he's telling the truth. That he was forced to make a decision before he was ready. What was his reason for not making the Packers wait on him? That he didn't want to be a disruption? That's what he insinuated. But then isn't going on Greta and demanding a release MUCH MORE of a disruption? It just doesn't add up.

He also said that MM said he would've let him wait until training camp. So then why not just ask for more time? He said that they talked every week. If they're that close, then what would stop Favre from requesting a little bit more time? Is their communication that bad that this simple request could be denied? I don't buy that either.

And what was so wrong with being a backup? He skipped the entire off-season planning session after he retired. They'd changed some things. Why is that so insulting? He could've come back, gotten up to speed, and if the team deemed it advantageous, he could've been elevated to starter. But instead, he was hell bent on leaving. And why was competing for a starting spot such a disgusting concept?

So in sum, I think Favre sincerely retired, but began to miss the game. He was confused as to how to proceed, and let Bus Cook turn the Packers into his enemy by feeding his emotional brain with rhetoric, which turned him from Anakin into a mini Darth Vader. We'd never seen that level of animosity prior to the events of this summer.
_____

Lots of holes in Favre's stories.

SnakeLH2006
05-21-2009, 02:20 AM

Definitely not trying to side with Partial or fuel the fire, but shit, Brett makes that "mere" $20 Million "after his "retirement" last year with his $12 million with the Jets in 2008 and at least $8 million with the Vikes when he comes back. That offer was/is piddly when you see the scope of how much money he's made/makes. BTW..

I see what Partial is getting at. Snake worked/works at his job for the last 8 plus years. Was the man no matter what and still is, yet they hire guys to do my job and Snake still out-perform those clowns. Do I perform at the god-like rate when I got hired?...maybe not, but still almost at that level. My management sucks, else I would. Regardless I could, but the lack of support from the GM for all his favorites for petty shit, eggs Snake. He knows I can do and almost do twice the job of all those peons, yet still want to hear that I'm the man. Don't hear it, so hell ya, I put off my best. Still better than all, but without support of the top GM, I say fuck him. So I kinda feel what Brett went through last year. Many here have it cut and dry that Favre is an Anti-Christ, but this is about this year, but hey, look ahead 5 years. Will you support him then? That is all this poll/topic is about.

Besides...he'll get that merchandising deal no matter what unless he's goes OJ and murders someone. Even then, he's got the blessing of everyone in the media. $20 million for Brett. Peanuts. He don't care about the money.

Fritz for an old bastard...you my homey. But no, this was not a Q if? Brett is 110% lock for HOF. The question was with all the derision lately, would you support him? That sir, is the Q?
-----------------------------------

Why all the hate on Partial? This is an open forum with a solid question WILL YOU SUPPORT BRETT AT HIS HOF INDUCTION? No? Everyone has a view on here, but damn, it comes down to little pity arguments about Brett's character.

If you hate him, then damn, vote hell no I won't support him. It's that easy. Snake woulda hated to be in Brett's shoes in 2008 with Arod's uprising (love Arod though) but he was in a no-win fucking situation if he wanted to play. That shit would suck. Yes, Brett has been pretty petty, but I thought this poll would give peeps a chance to say once an for all if they will support him at 2015 at his HOF induction or not. Instead, it turns into a bashing for those that think Brett got fucked. I kinda see that a bit, but Brett didn't do it the right way, and that's how the ball bounces.

But regardless, I still support him for all the things that made us a national powerhouse for 15 years, and even now at 6-10. WE ARE ON THE MAP BECAUSE OF BRETT, even if some can't admit it. Stop the nitpicking and get over it. Vote your choice and quit hounding those that see it a different way. Jesus already.

gex
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Now those last 2 posts are what coming here to PR is all about, good reading and no hating or bashing. Good reading. :D

cpk1994
05-21-2009, 09:42 AM

I think your memory is hazy. Woodson DID get flamed for skipping OTA's. Right after he signed people here were crucifying him fot not getting up to speed with his teamates the right away. Or did you conviently forget this?

ThunderDan
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM

He could have gone back to Green Bay shut his yap and made $10,000,000 sitting on the bench. They have always said the best job in the NFL is to be the 3rd string QB. Sit there with a clipboard recording information getting paid a cool $750,000. Favre could have done it for 10 M.

GB would have then moved him to another team like they did. It would have been the same outcome without the media circus.

ThunderDan
05-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Definitely not trying to side with Partial or fuel the fire, but shit, Brett makes that "mere" $20 Million "after his "retirement" last year with his $12 million with the Jets in 2008 and at least $8 million with the Vikes when he comes back. That offer was/is piddly when you see the scope of how much money he's made/makes. BTW..

Snake, Favre had to get sacked, smashed, spend time practicing and hurting his shoulder to a point were he wasn't able to throw the ball with much velocity.

Taking the 20 M from the Packers he could have hung aroung with the boys, signed autographs, drank sodas and made commercials.

retailguy
05-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Snake, Favre had to get sacked, smashed, spend time practicing and hurting his shoulder to a point were he wasn't able to throw the ball with much velocity.

Taking the 20 M from the Packers he could have hung aroung with the boys, signed autographs, drank sodas and made commercials.

I don't believe that was ever on the radar. Favre wants to play. I think it is about the consecutive games streak. I think that's 90% of the motiviation. A small part is to rub it in Ted's eye. Who cares about that? Didn't all of us want to "tell" an old boss they were wrong?

He's close to Bruce Matthews record. I think that's what is really important to Brett Favre.

ThunderDan
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM

I don't believe that was ever on the radar. Favre wants to play. I think it is about the consecutive games streak. I think that's 90% of the motiviation. A small part is to rub it in Ted's eye. Who cares about that? Didn't all of us want to "tell" an old boss they were wrong?

He's close to Bruce Matthews record. I think that's what is really important to Brett Favre.

What was on the radar? Would you rather make $20 M doing PR or $20 M getting hammered by 300 lbs linemen?

retailguy
05-21-2009, 12:38 PM

What was on the radar? Would you rather make $20 M doing PR or $20 M getting hammered by 300 lbs linemen?

It isn't about me, Dan. Clearly I'd want the 20 mil. It's about Favre. I also think that's clear as well. He doesn't want the 20 mil right now. He wants the all time consecutive game streak.

ThunderDan
05-21-2009, 12:46 PM

It isn't about me, Dan. Clearly I'd want the 20 mil. It's about Favre. I also think that's clear as well. He doesn't want the 20 mil right now. He wants the all time consecutive game streak.

You get the $20 M either way! :roll:

That was Snake's point. He could get the same $20 M by playing for the Jets last year and the Vikings this year or take the marketing deal.

retailguy
05-21-2009, 12:56 PM

That was Snake's point. He could get the same $20 M by playing for the Jets last year and the Vikings this year or take the marketing deal.

Dan, Favre can get the marketing money 3 years from now... He can only get the money to play now. But, my point isn't about the money, it's about the consecutive game streak.

Scott Campbell
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm not as sure as some of the rest of you guys that the marketing offer would remain as lucrative as last summer, and available to him indefinitely.

Partial
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Dan, I'm sorry but that is just too :lol: . Are you flipping kidding me? That's your play?

Gunakor
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Dan, I'm sorry but that is just too :lol: . Are you flipping kidding me? That's your play?

It's a fair argument. He'd have collected his money without sustaining further injury had he just stayed retired. Most people would rather take millions to just relax and enjoy life and stay healthy than to have to endure a 17th year of tremendous physical punishment resulting in injury to make essentially the same money.

SkinBasket
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I was going to vote, but I couldn't figure out what the fuck this poll was about so I read all these posts, and I have even less of an idea of what the fuck is going on. People are still arguing about Favre going to minicamps? There's a whole internet full of porn to look at people and here you sit going back and forth about Favre's employment prospects 2 years ago. Even reading on-line vampire fan fiction erotica would be time better spent than this nonsense.

http://romanceatheart.com/hln/hln.jpg
Come now, my love. Let us not speak of this. Let us speak of beauty with the language of our hearts.

ThunderDan
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Alright Partial I'll bite.

First, if I retired from my team as the starting QB I would have made damn sure I was ready to walk away. No one would have pushed me to make a decision.

Second, if I decide I wanted to come back but the team had already moved on because of my retirement I would understand. At this point I would have another decision to make. Do I want to play for another team or should I live up to my earlier word of retiring?

If I still wanted to play, I would have informed TT that I was going to show up to training camp. No going to the media, not having my brother give interviews and not having my agent say how disrespectful the organization was. I retired. I would do everything the staff asked me to do, even if it was taking notes at a meeting. I would happily compete for my spot on the roster.

If you thought out the situation at all you would understand that the Packers can't have a player making $10 M a year sitting on the bench that is a legend for the team no matter how good Rodgers is. As soon as he struggles for a quarter or a half the fans would be calling for me to enter the game and it wouldn't be fair to the other QB.

So this would force TT to trade me or release me if no one wants to trade for me. Now not only do I still get to play football which is what I decided in point two above I get the GM to look like a smuck for trading a Packer legend because I dutifully reported to camp and said I am fine being the back up.

retailguy
05-21-2009, 02:51 PM
But there is a middle of the road perspective here.

Dan - you're focused on balancing your reputation with money. That's a fair perspective and I agree that's what most of us would do. But, it's becoming clear that Brett Favre is NOT most of us.

I don't believe this is about money. His ego is so big, there has to be big money attached to the deal, but this is really about that consecutive game streak. I'm positive of that. Also, Dan, on this we agree, Favre doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.... That is abundantly clear.

Scott, I think the "deal" will be out there. $20m guaranteed? Probably not, but on a percentage basis? More than that, ultimately I'd think.

Besides all you guys have ignored the value of the endorsement deals Favre has entered into during his career. If he's only worth $100m, he's been a piss poor money manager....

This shouldn't be about money. There has to be more to it than that.

ThunderDan
05-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Dan - you're focused on balancing your reputation with money. That's a fair perspective and I agree that's what most of us would do. But, it's becoming clear that Brett Favre is NOT most of us.

I don't believe this is about money. His ego is so big, there has to be big money attached to the deal, but this is really about that consecutive game streak. I'm positive of that. Also, Dan, on this we agree, Favre doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.... That is abundantly clear.

Scott, I think the "deal" will be out there. $20m guaranteed? Probably not, but on a percentage basis? More than that, ultimately I'd think.

Besides all you guys have ignored the value of the endorsement deals Favre has entered into during his career. If he's only worth $100m, he's been a piss poor money manager....

My point is Brett didn't have to damage his reputation to get traded or released; forget the money part.

The Packers simple could not put Favre on the bench after 2007 with a $10 M contract or for that matter a $5 contract. He was a Packer icon coming off of one of his best years. TT and MM would have looked like fools with ARod running the show and Brett charting plays and defenses.

Knowing that, showing up at training camp would have forced TT to trade or release Favre; which in fact it did. Even Goodell stepped in to stop that fiasco from happening.

Instead a man with a big ego tried to throw his weight around and get what he wanted. By doing that he damaged the one thing that makes him a superstar his legacy with the fans. His on the field play cannot be disputed. The numbers are the numbers.

cpk1994
05-21-2009, 04:23 PM

My point is Brett didn't have to damage his reputation to get traded or released; forget the money part.

The Packers simple could not put Favre on the bench after 2007 with a $10 M contract or for that matter a $5 contract. He was a Packer icon coming off of one of his best years. TT and MM would have looked like fools with ARod running the show and Brett charting plays and defenses.

Knowing that, showing up at training camp would have forced TT to trade or release Favre; which in fact it did. Even Goodell stepped in to stop that fiasco from happening.

Instead a man with a big ego tried to throw his weight around and get what he wanted. By doing that he damaged the one thing that makes him a superstar his legacy with the fans. His on the field play cannot be disputed. The numbers are the numbers.Well said. I will say that Goodell shouldn't have stuck his nose where it didn't belong. This was between Favre and the Packers. Goodell should have butted out. His intrusion only risked TT's bargaining power with other teams.

SnakeLH2006
05-23-2009, 12:44 AM

Nope. Nice try though. Dan, do you TRULY think he cares about the money??

My point was he'll get the $20 Million deal (prob. far more than that over time) no matter what. My point was he does NOT care about the money with all the cash he already has, and never played for the money, regardless, but gets it anyway in 2 seasons starting at QB and doing what he loves.

He plays to play, as he's prob. the most intense/competive SOB this side of Michael Jordan. Love him/hate him. I don't think he retires till he can't play anymore. It's obvious his ego is huge, but his love to play is just that too. Combined=He plays till he gets carted off the field. He was gonna play no matter what. So to think he was gonna take that merchandising deal is not in the cards till he wants to. If the Pack said no, they'd be morons as he'll make them millions to appear for them in the future and he knows that. Brett's not stupid, but he's very emotional. He knows he's big money and that's why Goodell supported his comeback last year.

Been saying it for years, and Brett was quoted on it years ago, that he feels of all the records he's most proud of his consecutive games played streak. That is his motivation (and maybe anti-TT shit too) as it's not B. Matthews, but L. Marshall (DE, Vikes) at 270 games played straight...(sorry RetailGuy)Favre is at 269. You guys do the math. If there was a bet in Vegas (and Snake likes to bet) I'd take it that Favre plays this year to snap that streak.

Regardless of how Snake was trying to just get some opinions on if you'd support Brett in Canton, it's impossible in a Favre thread to not get shit twisted. I'll support that SOB, and hope he plays this year, as long as the Pack beat him in the division and head to head. :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Ouch! Old Fran Tarkenton doesn't mince words here:

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/05/27/thats-incredible-a-former-player-that-isnt-a-fan-of-brett-favres/

Fran was asked about the whole Brett Favre retirement, un-retirement:

“I think it’s despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good. Here’s an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn’t about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre’s of the world so much, they think it’s about them. He goes to New York and bombs. He’s 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year (playing for) the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers. I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.”

On what more he feels the Packers could have done as an organization during the break-up with Favre:

“They did everything, but you get into a position, and I understand he’s been glorified so much. He’s been a great player, there’s no question about it, but it’s all about him. It is supposed to be all about your team. If you’re going to be the quarterback of your team, you need to be there in the off season workouts in March and April. Peyton Manning’s there. Tom Brady’s there.”

Fran’s take on what he sees out of Favre’s quarterback abilities or lack there of:

“I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that I’ve ever seen. Look at his final game in a Packers uniform. He blew that game against the Giants. He’s playing against Eli Manning, I love Eli Manning, but he’s still not a great quarterback. He’s not Peyton yet, or Tom Brady. He’s just a guy. And they’re (Packers) are playing at home, and they’re in a tight situation, they went to overtime and he (Favre) throws the interception that allows them (the Giants) to come back and win the game. He has done that and driven his coaches crazy all of his career.”

Harlan Huckleby
05-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Beautifully stated.

But Fran Tarkenton has been on more dodgy, late-night informercials than any former professional athlete in history, unless you count the George Forman grills. Maybe Fran has a screw loose.

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Beautifully stated.

But Fran Tarkenton has been on more dodgy, late-night informercials than any former professional athlete in history, unless you count the George Forman grills. Maybe Fran has a screw loose.

Probably. How the might have fallen. From Hall of Fame QB to NFL broadcaster to hawking goods on late-night informercials. On the bright side, it's still a better career path than O.J.

RashanGary
05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Wow. That was one of the best opinions on Favre I've read in a while. In Brett's mind, it was all about the him. He didn't care to be with his teammates when they were working hard to get better. He put himself over everything.

I'm also with Fran on another thing. I hope he goes to Minny so he can fail. It will prove this guy is one of the most over hyped pieces of shit to ever play the game. When I think about the Packers, I try to forget Brett Favre because he's not a good guy and he got way too much credit for being on good teams.

ThunderDan
05-27-2009, 11:30 AM
It will prove this guy is one of the most over hyped pieces of shit to ever play the game. When I think about the Packers, I try to forget Brett Favre because he's not a good guy and he got way too much credit for being on good teams.

That is way over the top. :oops:

RashanGary
05-27-2009, 11:37 AM
You know, TD. I don't think it is. I think Favre is a bad guy that got a lot more credit than he deserved in Green Bay because he was on good teams.

Fritz
05-27-2009, 11:38 AM

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/05/27/thats-incredible-a-former-player-that-isnt-a-fan-of-brett-favres/

“I think it’s despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good. Here’s an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn’t about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre’s of the world so much, they think it’s about them. He goes to New York and bombs. He’s 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year (playing for) the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers. I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.”

On what more he feels the Packers could have done as an organization during the break-up with Favre:

“They did everything, but you get into a position, and I understand he’s been glorified so much. He’s been a great player, there’s no question about it, but it’s all about him. It is supposed to be all about your team. If you’re going to be the quarterback of your team, you need to be there in the off season workouts in March and April. Peyton Manning’s there. Tom Brady’s there.”

Fran’s take on what he sees out of Favre’s quarterback abilities or lack there of:

“I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that I’ve ever seen. Look at his final game in a Packers uniform. He blew that game against the Giants. He’s playing against Eli Manning, I love Eli Manning, but he’s still not a great quarterback. He’s not Peyton yet, or Tom Brady. He’s just a guy. And they’re (Packers) are playing at home, and they’re in a tight situation, they went to overtime and he (Favre) throws the interception that allows them (the Giants) to come back and win the game. He has done that and driven his coaches crazy all of his career.”

Man, I used to despise Fran Tarkenton. All the stepping out of bounds j-u-s-t before a Packer linebacker was about to waste him. Drove me nuts.

So why do I want to like him now? This seems so wrong. Can't I be left alone to hate in peace?

ThunderDan
05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
You know, TD. I don't think it is. I think Favre is a bad guy that got a lot more credit than he deserved in Green Bay because he was on good teams.

Favre may or may not be a bad guy and I think he handled last offseason horribly.

But it was fun to know at the beginning of every season for the last 16 years that we had a shot at making the playoffs and winning the SB. The Packers had some wonderful teams and a very dominant D during the SB years. Having stability at QB, and good to great play, for that long of a period really helped.

You look at teams like Detroit, Chicago, San Fran, Buffalo teams that can't find a QB and you might see one good year here or there but they quickly drop off to non-contenders.

For this reason it was fun watching Rodgers do so well last year. I am hoping that we have "the guy" for the next 6-10 year run.

mraynrand
05-27-2009, 12:03 PM

That's INCREDIBLE!

mraynrand
05-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Man, I used to despise Fran Tarkenton. All the stepping out of bounds j-u-s-t before a Packer linebacker was about to waste him. Drove me nuts.

So why do I want to like him now? This seems so wrong. Can't I be left alone to hate in peace?

You don't have to like him, even though he might be right about a thing or two. Fran is like that squirrel that runs out in front of your car. Most people kinda freak out and try to avoid hitting the thing, even though it zips back and forth and you don't have any control over whether you tag it or not - you're much more likely to wreck your car in the process. So the best thing to do is keep driving, ignore the thing - and you can feel good if you happen to run it over.

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Favre may or may not be a bad guy and I think he handled last offseason horribly.

But it was fun to know at the beginning of every season for the last 16 years that we had a shot at making the playoffs and winning the SB. The Packers had some wonderful teams and a very dominant D during the SB years. Having stability at QB, and good to great play, for that long of a period really helped.

You look at teams like Detroit, Chicago, San Fran, Buffalo teams that can't find a QB and you might see one good year here or there but they quickly drop off to non-contenders.

For this reason it was fun watching Rodgers do so well last year. I am hoping that we have "the guy" for the next 6-10 year run.

Agreed.

cpk1994
05-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Wow. That was one of the best opinions on Favre I've read in a while. In Brett's mind, it was all about the him. He didn't care to be with his teammates when they were working hard to get better. He put himself over everything.

I'm also with Fran on another thing. I hope he goes to Minny so he can fail. It will prove this guy is one of the most over hyped pieces of shit to ever play the game. When I think about the Packers, I try to forget Brett Favre because he's not a good guy and he got way too much credit for being on good teams.To call him an overhyped POS as a player is dead wrong. The record on the field proves you wrong. Now, if you are talking aout the person off the field, then POS is an apt description.

Harlan Huckleby
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM

well, he has one 6-10 year under his belt. Not sure I am quite so enthusiastic about a run of them.

The Shadow
05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
What did Fran say, really, that we didn't already know?
He was pretty much right on the mark.

RashanGary
05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
What did Fran say, really, that we didn't already know?
He was pretty much right on the mark.

That's exactly it. It was dead on the mark. It deserves mention because it's obvious he's up to speed on what happened here.

SnakeLH2006
05-29-2009, 11:53 PM
42-5 pro Favre vs. anti-Favre. Just shows that peeps can forget the drama for one the best NFL players EVER. Favre made the Packers for 15 years. Snake don't give a shit about the melodrama shit lately with Brett. It'll subside in 5-6 years when he's HOF bound....One of the best, most exciting players in NFL history. Did wonders for GB. Nuff said.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-30-2009, 12:23 AM
42-5 pro Favre vs. anti-Favre. Just shows that peeps can forget the drama for one the best NFL players EVER. Favre made the Packers for 15 years. Snake don't give a shit about the melodrama shit lately with Brett. It'll subside in 5-6 years when he's HOF bound....One of the best, most exciting players in NFL history. Did wonders for GB. Nuff said.

Your logic is poor.

If anything it shows that the "anti favre" crowd is...well, not anti favre. They are sane, logical people. They know what a dipshit he is being but they will look past it.

SnakeLH2006
05-30-2009, 12:39 AM

Your logic is poor.

If anything it shows that the "anti favre" crowd is...well, not anti favre. They are sane, logical people. They know what a dipshit he is being but they will look past it.

I never said anything about anything than Canton. So many throw Brett under the bus in the last year, but will praise him in Canton. Snake don't like how Brett carries himself lately, but definitely in the majority to say I WILL support him in Canton. I don't see how the logic is poor.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-30-2009, 07:39 PM

Your logic is poor.

I never said anything about anything than Canton. So many throw Brett under the bus in the last year, but will praise him in Canton. Snake don't like how Brett carries himself lately, but definitely in the majority to say I WILL support him in Canton. I don't see how the logic is poor.

Ty misread. Apologizes.

woodbuck27
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM

He goes to New York and bombs.

NO! He (Favre) didn't bomb in a Jets uniform? HE took them from what? 4 wins in 2007 to 9 wins in 2008. Alot of starting QB's failed to win 9 games in 2008.

Of the possibility of Brett Favre joining the Vikings.I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail

That's shocking of Fran Tarkenton.That's just hateful and lacks class. Thus the entire commentary on Favre by Fran lacks merit.

they went to overtime and he (Favre) throws the interception that allows them (the Giants) to come back and win the game. He has done that and driven his coaches crazy all of his career

a) Who called that pass pattern? I've always thought that a better play needed to be called on that pick. The play had pick written all over it. Driver needed to come back to the pass for a short gain or shoot up the sideline for a bigger play.

b) Who has more career wins than Favre of any other NFL QB in history? He's made mistakes. YES! He's human but he's also provided us with a great many superlative performances resulting in wins for us to enjoy. I assume his coach's did as well.

Bretsky
05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Fran had never been that great of a guy; listeing to Satellite Radio today and ESPN pointed out that Chuck Forman, Ron Yary, and Stu Voight all enjoyed playing with Fran...but....Foreman pointed out he was a great player but a me guy and everything needed to run through Fran. Yary and Voight were not as Frank but both noted they'd agree with that analysis.

It'd be interesting to know how most Vikings fans view him

Scott Campbell
05-31-2009, 09:58 PM
a) Who called that pass pattern? I've always thought that a better play needed to be called on that pick. The play had pick written all over it. Driver needed to come back to the pass for a short gain or shoot up the sideline for a bigger play.

Yeah, it's clearly Driver and McCarthy's fault. I think the sun may have been in Brett's eyes too.

http://www.benspicks.com/FavreThrow.jpg

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2008-01/34843942.jpg

PlantPage55
05-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Brett gets in - no doubt about it. And you know I've been his biggest detractor since he retired.

Right now, he's on my shit-list with a 5 year probationary period from the time that we're actually SURE he's retired. Then, he is allowed back into my heart. :lol:

woodbuck27
05-31-2009, 10:11 PM

Yeah, it's clearly Driver and McCarthy's fault. I think the sun may have been in Brett's eyes too.

Your sarcasm isn't working here Scott.

Look at the distance between Driver and the Giant (Webster) that makes that pick. How much seperation do you see Scott? Alot? See it Scott? GOOD! Then, are we going to go to the argument that ball was underthrown?

It was pure and simple a poor call as far as 'the route' is concerned. Way too much risk for that pick on that day. The short gain was a better plan.

MJZiggy
05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Actually, if he had only thrown to his left instead of his right...

But guys? This was 2007. Favre retired since then. What is it? 3? 4 times now? Three I think, but who's counting?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-31-2009, 11:26 PM

Your sarcasm isn't working here Scott.

Look at the distance between Driver and the Giant (Webster) that makes that pick. How much seperation do you see Scott? Alot? See it Scott? GOOD! Then, are we going to go to the argument that ball was underthrown?

It was pure and simple a poor call as far as 'the route' is concerned. Way too much risk for that pick on that day. The short gain was a better plan.

You are so right. When ever they run a play there is only one option. Brett was forced to throw to DD.

There was no way for Brett to throw to another receiver, no way to throw it out of bounds.

BTW, if that is your scenario...i guess all those TDs were the result of great playcalling and not Brett. :oops:

SnakeLH2006
06-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Brett gets in - no doubt about it. And you know I've been his biggest detractor since he retired.

Right now, he's on my shit-list with a 5 year probationary period from the time that we're actually SURE he's retired. Then, he is allowed back into my heart. :lol:

Good post as this is what this thread/poll was about.

Who cares what we think now. In 5 years or so, who's gonna like to see Brett go to Canton as a Packer. This poll was kinda a litmus test as many are unhappy with Brett right now, and can't blame ya after the last few years, but hey, Snake loves all he did overall for the Pack and will be happy to see that silly yellow Blazer on Brett in Canton. That's what it's all about folks.