PDA

View Full Version : VICK DA GREAT

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I was trying intentionally to be more ridiculous than MOBB.

u think it would be ridiculous to have a panel or a panel including black professionals?

If they happened to be black - fine. I think mandating a required percentage of black panel members would be ridiculous.

ThunderDan
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
over half of the people responding to an espn poll voted that they feel Vicks suspension is too harsh

69% of people on a CNN poll don't want Vick on their team.

pbmax
07-28-2009, 01:56 PM

u think it would be ridiculous to have a panel or a panel including black professionals?

Why, because a black professional coming from his/her background and experiences is more likely give a well informed opinion than a white professional? :wink:
No, because black professionals will naturally understand the dog fighting culture. Because it must be a racial issue, not a socioeconomic one.

Moob, please go back and read KYPack's post on the issue of the racial makeup of the dog fighting community from his slightly different perspective.

pbmax
07-28-2009, 01:58 PM
over half of the people responding to an espn poll voted that they feel Vicks suspension is too harsh

Two different questions. I think 5 games for Vick is reasonable after the prison term. But I don't want him on the Packers even if its less.

ThunderDan
07-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Two different questions. I think 5 games for Vick is reasonable after the prison term. But I don't want him on the Packers even if its less.

I'm probably putting words in MOBB's mouth but I think he was trying to say "Look at all the support for Vick da Great."

69% don't want Vick on their team which is probably a lot closer to the actual feel of "The People."

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM

Why, because a black professional coming from his/her background and experiences is more likely give a well informed opinion than a white professional? :wink:
No, because black professionals will naturally understand the dog fighting culture. Because it must be a racial issue, not a socioeconomic one.

Moob, please go back and read KYPack's post on the issue of the racial makeup of the dog fighting community from his slightly different perspective.

nope, i wasnt talking only about the vick situation when i said goddell has too much power and that there should be a "panel"...just u all wait and see; folk will start talking more about this issue in the near future..and yes, race will play a role...id be willing to bet that 80% of black players think vick should be reinstated unconditionally and that the commish is abusing his power

of course i dont expect folk at packerrats to appreciate the quandry what with the demographic here

and i wouldnt be surprised in more black folk support vick than white folk; i think we are much more forgiving (like Jesus) while white folk are more judgemental and self-righteous

my opinion which cant be proved of course

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
You can't play the race card every time a black guy gets in trouble.

Waldo
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm beginning to seriously question whether PETA will actually protest him.

We all assume that Mike Vick is the same guy that went into prison, and that situations are the same as when he went into prison. That isn't the case.

Dogfighting has changed since Vick went to prison. On a large organized scale it has declined. On a small scale (not even for gambling purposes, but street cred of having the most BA dog) it has drastically increased, both the direct result of Vick's case.

Groups have reached out to Vick (including PETA I believe) for one big reason. No single voice in the nation can influence the people fighting dogs quite like Vick. Nobody has the cred that he has and respect that he has among those fighting dogs. Nobody has his experience. Nobody has his fame.

For Vick to really show that he is changed and to change his image, it is pretty clear what his off the field public focus is going to be.

It would be inane and idiotic for any sort of organized PETA anti-Vick rally to take place. Cut off your nose to spite your face? Sure you might have a few individuals, but protesting doesn't work without some sort of organization, and any bigger group that typically would do the organization would actually oppose any protesting knowing how Vick can help their cause.

The time for protesting Vick was 2 years ago. That is when the time was right for the dog jokes, when the time was right for the hate. If you believe that he has been rehabilitated, then you also have to believe that he is currently by far the best anti-dogfighting spokesman in the world, and it only gets better and stronger the bigger he becomes in this 2nd go round in the NFL.

Even if you think that you will lose fans by signing Vick, the opposite is also true. The guy is insanely popular. Not quite Brett Favre, but if Vick still has what he had, his fans will follow. He was not called the NFL's most exciting player for nothing.

I would love for the Pack to sign Vick if he came cheap, and to get the roster spot of the #3 TE or #2 FB.

pbmax
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM

I'm probably putting words in MOBB's mouth but I think he was trying to say "Look at all the support for Vick da Great."

69% don't want Vick on their team which is probably a lot closer to the actual feel of "The People."
Perhaps, but I read his post as supporting that there is a quantifiable public opinion that Vick's suspension is too long.

You CNN number might represent the public opinion on Vick himself, but phrased as it is, it also might be an indictment of his QB skills. And I am not sure you can tease one out from the other. That said, one doesn't necessarily contradict the other.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM

personally IM not playn race card at all

yo, white folks home from work so 46% think vicks punishment too harsh; down from 50%

Patler
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
and i wouldnt be surprised in more black folk support vick than white folk; i think we are much more forgiving (like Jesus) while white for are more judgemental and self-righteous

Well...., that's awful judgmental and self-righteous on your part, isn't it??? :)

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I would love for the Pack to sign Vick if he came cheap, and to get the roster spot of the #3 TE or #2 FB.

bingo!

but he prob has too much swag for the hickish packer backers :roll:

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 02:38 PM
and i wouldnt be surprised in more black folk support vick than white folk; i think we are much more forgiving (like Jesus) while white for are more judgemental and self-righteous

Well...., that's awful judgmental and self-righteous on your part, isn't it??? :)

:lol:

i may not have stated that the way i meant it out of laziness; u know us black folk are shiftless and lazy

Bossman641
07-28-2009, 02:39 PM

http://paulfite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/al-sharpton.jpg

You can't?

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 02:40 PM

http://paulfite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/al-sharpton.jpg

You can't?

al is THE MAN

pbmax
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
No, except in egregious cases, it cannot. But while race cannot excuse individual behavior, it does has an affect on a group. And having that experience brought to bear on positions of authority is important.

There was a recent Supreme Court case about whether a driver was using excessive speed on a 2 lane highway. If he was found to be doing this, the penalty was much harsher than simple speeding.

In dissent, Stewart, I think, mentioned that none of his Court colleagues remembered travelling mainly on two lane highways (as opposed to the Interstate System) when the Speed Limit could have been well above 55 miles per hour and involved passing slower cars by moving into the oncoming lane.

If you have driven that speed legally, or even experienced it, then your view of the facts of the case could be very different. As an aside, if the law truly hinges on that shaky kind of definition of excessive or dangerous, it would seem to be a poorly written law.

mraynrand
07-28-2009, 02:50 PM

We all assume that Mike Vick is the same guy that went into prison, and that situations are the same as when he went into prison. That isn't the case.

Dogfighting has changed since Vick went to prison. On a large organized scale it has declined. On a small scale (not even for gambling purposes, but street cred of having the most BA dog) it has drastically increased, both the direct result of Vick's case.

Groups have reached out to Vick (including PETA I believe) for one big reason. No single voice in the nation can influence the people fighting dogs quite like Vick. Nobody has the cred that he has and respect that he has among those fighting dogs. Nobody has his experience. Nobody has his fame.

For Vick to really show that he is changed and to change his image, it is pretty clear what his off the field public focus is going to be.

It would be inane and idiotic for any sort of organized PETA anti-Vick rally to take place. Cut off your nose to spite your face? Sure you might have a few individuals, but protesting doesn't work without some sort of organization, and any bigger group that typically would do the organization would actually oppose any protesting knowing how Vick can help their cause.

The time for protesting Vick was 2 years ago. That is when the time was right for the dog jokes, when the time was right for the hate. If you believe that he has been rehabilitated, then you also have to believe that he is currently by far the best anti-dogfighting spokesman in the world, and it only gets better and stronger the bigger he becomes in this 2nd go round in the NFL.

Even if you think that you will lose fans by signing Vick, the opposite is also true. The guy is insanely popular. Not quite Brett Favre, but if Vick still has what he had, his fans will follow. He was not called the NFL's most exciting player for nothing.

Great post. The USA is a country of second chances, for all but the most egregious acts and heinous crimes. Vick has a chance to redeem himself and cause a lot of great things to happen if he only takes the correct path. He's a young man with a lot of life ahead of him - I hope he uses it for the greater good. I wish him the best of luck and all the prayers. For a lot of you who are skeptics, I suggest signing up for a prison ministry or talk to a reformed convict. There a a lot of guys that did wrong and have suffered incredibly - and continue to suffer - even despite finding a way to turn it around. The odds are against former convicts, and the stakes of couldn't be higher. Sorry to soapbox it, but just thinking about the difference between a guy turning it around and making good versus a life forever wasted...what Vick did isn't beyond redemption and it seems worth it to give all the support to make it work out.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM

bingo!

but he prob has too much swag for the hickish packer backers :roll:

Not swag - baggage.

That, and his career has been mostly hype to this point.

Patler
07-28-2009, 02:58 PM
How can you possible know if he has changed, or if it is all a front to get re-instated? He looked Goodell in the eye and lied before. Whether he is truly rehabilitated or not can not be determined until he has been out and free for sometime. Who he associates with a year from now, or two years from now is much more relevant to his actual rehabilitation than anything he says or does right now. After all, he could be scamming for 10s of millions of dollars.

I doubt that very much. They may have gone more underground, but the simple arrest of Vick would not alter something that deeply rooted. I have to believe that there are a lot bigger fish in dog fighting than Vick was, and I would be surprised if they are scared off because of his arrest.

Well, sure they have. Why not, especially if he can put on a great facade (or actually has changed)?

I agree that there may not be a lot of protests, especially if Vick plays the ambassador role well. But, I'm not ready to assume all is well and good with Vick until he proves it after temptation comes his way.

As for the Packers and Vick, it wouldn't bother me that much if the decided to bring him in. I doubt he would be the most despicable player ever to wear the green and gold, and there may be worse in the future.

Waldo
07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Another aspect to Vick that hasn't really been brought up much...

There is a very real possibility that his best football is ahead of him, not behind him.

Vick was always a hardhead that didn't take to coaching well, full of himself, led a questionable life outside the game, and had questionable focus.

He was also the most mobile and athletic QB to ever play the game and had a rocket for an arm.

Everything was taken away from him and he's had two years to think about it. And he needs it.

The very real possibility exists that Vick's hardhead/full of himself aspect has been completely humbled and he becomes extremely coachable, that outside the game he is going to be a dedicated good citizen and gives back to the community (namely be a huge voice against dogfighting), and that his focus on the game will be far greater than it ever has been before.

Doesn't hurt that Dungy is currently his personal adviser and life coach.

In two years Vick could easily be slowing a little (but still as slippery as anybody in the pocket), but a far better passer than he has ever been before.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Another aspect to Vick that hasn't really been brought up much...

There is a very real possibility that his best football is ahead of him, not behind him.

Vick was always a hardhead that didn't take to coaching well, full of himself, led a questionable life outside the game, and had questionable focus.

He was also the most mobile and athletic QB to ever play the game and had a rocket for an arm.

Everything was taken away from him and he's had two years to think about it. And he needs it.

The very real possibility exists that Vick's hardhead/full of himself aspect has been completely humbled and he becomes extremely coachable, that outside the game he is going to be a dedicated good citizen and gives back to the community (namely be a huge voice against dogfighting), and that his focus on the game will be far greater than it ever has been before.

Doesn't hurt that Dungy is currently his personal adviser and life coach.

In two years Vick could easily be slowing a little (but still as slippery as anybody in the pocket), but a far better passer than he has ever been before.

While possible, I don't think you can assume it'll go down like that. It could end up just like us waiting for Robert Fergeson to have his breakout year.

Having said that, and looking at our QB depth, I'd take a flyer on him.

Waldo
07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I doubt that very much. They may have gone more underground, but the simple arrest of Vick would not alter something that deeply rooted. I have to believe that there are a lot bigger fish in dog fighting than Vick was, and I would be surprised if they are scared off because of his arrest.

I just saw an investigative journalism piece on it recently, on Animal planet I believe.

A lot of local cops didn't even know much about it or what to look for until the Vick case came around. The increased awareness led to more and more and bigger and bigger busts. Concerned citizens ratted on people more. The award for leading to a dogfighting arrest doubled. States changed their laws, prior to his arrest dogfighting was a misdemeanor almost everywhere, afterwards most made dogfighting a felony as a direct result of the Vick case, as Vick went to jail on gambling because dogfighting wasn't a felony, without the provable gambling Vicks sentence would have been much less.

Vick's case was a major blow to large organized dogfighting. It still exists, but not nearly as big as it was a few years ago.

On the flipside, fighting dogs (owning the top dog actually and proving it) earned a level of coolness with thug culture that it didn't have before the Vick case. A negative side effect of it.

Patler
07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I just saw an investigative journalism piece on it recently, on Animal planet I believe.

A lot of local cops didn't even know much about it or what to look for until the Vick case came around. The increased awareness led to more and more and bigger and bigger busts. Concerned citizens ratted on people more. The award for leading to a dogfighting arrest doubled. States changed their laws, prior to his arrest dogfighting was a misdemeanor almost everywhere, afterwards most made dogfighting a felony as a direct result of the Vick case, as Vick went to jail on gambling because dogfighting wasn't a felony, without the provable gambling Vicks sentence would have been much less.

Vick's case was a major blow to large organized dogfighting. It still exists, but not nearly as big as it was a few years ago.

On the flipside, fighting dogs (owning the top dog actually and proving it) earned a level of coolness with thug culture that it didn't have before the Vick case. A negative side effect of it.

If its true, it can just as easily be a very temporary thing. More than likely, it was simply an attempt at good press to increase public awareness and perhaps scare off some low rung entrants. I suspect it will be like the battle against drugs, major busts that do some good for a while, but soon we are right back where we started. Big guys don't scare off, and if they are captured there is always someone ready to take their place.

SkinBasket
07-28-2009, 03:47 PM
and i wouldnt be surprised in more black folk support vick than white folk; i think we are much more forgiving of black folk regardless of the crime because to not do so would paint us as some kind of "Uncle Tom" siding with the whites and an outcast of the mob mentality of contemporary black society (like Jesus)

Fixed.

MadScientist
07-28-2009, 04:37 PM

It would be inane and idiotic for any sort of organized PETA anti-Vick rally to take place. Cut off your nose to spite your face?

You're post was reasonable, but you forget that PETA is inane and idiotic. They will protest anything Vick does to draw attention (read $$$) to themselves and pretend like they have some sort of legitimacy.

KYPack
07-28-2009, 06:00 PM

It would be inane and idiotic for any sort of organized PETA anti-Vick rally to take place. Cut off your nose to spite your face?

You're post was reasonable, but you forget that PETA is inane and idiotic. They will protest anything Vick does to draw attention (read $$$) to themselves and pretend like they have some sort of legitimacy.

They will get all over this, Waldo.

I'm involved with several animal rescue places. Some of the younger people in those shelters are PETA people (Kinda stupid, PETA is against pets, BTW) They were circulating Anti-Vick information for a very long time now. There will be protests at the NFL games if Vick plays in 'em & PETA will raise holyt hell over the whole deal.

I'm very anti-PETA. Donate to the Humane Society. Great people who work very hard for peanuts, not a bunch of grandstanding buttholes like PETA.

Rastak
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM

They will get all over this, Waldo.

I'm involved with several animal rescue places. Some of the younger people in those shelters are PETA people (Kinda stupid, PETA is against pets, BTW) They were circulating Anti-Vick information for a very long time now. There will be protests at the NFL games if Vick plays in 'em & PETA will raise holyt hell over the whole deal.

I'm very anti-PETA. Donate to the Humane Society. Great people who work very hard for peanuts, not a bunch of grandstanding buttholes like PETA.

Nice post KY.

BEARMAN
07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
" IF " he takes the correct path, and " IF " he acts accordingly, then yes, he can play. BUT, " IF " he messes up even only little bit, he should be GONE, never allowed to play in the NFL again ! IMO. 8-)

ThunderDan
07-28-2009, 07:54 PM
" IF " he takes the correct path, and " IF " he acts accordingly, then yes, he can play. BUT, " IF " he messes up even only little bit, he should be GONE, never allowed to play in the NFL again ! IMO. 8-)

I agree with BEARMAN.

MOBB DEEP
07-28-2009, 10:48 PM
and i wouldnt be surprised in more black folk support vick than white folk; i think we are much more forgiving of black folk regardless of the crime because to not do so would paint us as some kind of "Uncle Tom" siding with the whites and an outcast of the mob mentality of contemporary black society (like Jesus)

Fixed.

he he...took the words right out my mouth

not...

u think u know something about black culture huh??

trust me, we are NOT homogenous

as the late great malcolm x said, some africans/black folk are more european than the european himself

mental slavery that outlasted chattel slavery

ive even been told i "talk white" b/c im upwardly mobile and well-read; despite the fact that i champion the philosophy of the Black Panthers and brother malcolm

MJZiggy
07-29-2009, 06:02 AM
You "talk white" but you don't respect Malcolm X enough to capitalize his name? Curious that Africans is not but Black Panthers is capitalized, though...

mraynrand
07-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Fixed.

not...

as the late great malcolm x said, some africans/black folk are more european than the european himself

ive even been told i "talk white" b/c im upwardly mobile and well-read; despite the fact that i champion the philosophy of the Black Panthers and brother malcolm

yet you write deliberately in some sort of quasi-ebonic style that ought to offend yourself.

SkinBasket
07-29-2009, 09:17 AM

Fixed.

not...

Black culture isn't nearly as mysterious as you want to make it out to be. Perpetuating the myth that somehow non-blacks don't know what it's like to be black and therefore cannot possibly understand black culture is about as useful as claiming you're well read, but expressing yourself like a 3rd grader. Any culture can be studied and understood by applying the emotions and experiences that all humans share. Unless there are emotions reserved only for black Americans that you're all hiding from the rest of the world?

Maybe it's time some people stopped hiding behind their race as a means to explain thoughts and behavior that would otherwise be unacceptable or unreasonable and started expressing themselves in a meaningful way that allows them to share themselves, their beliefs, and experiences with the rest of the world. Maybe they would learn more about themselves than they thought they could.

I don't think black America is by any means homogeneous. However, deviation (sexual, political, racial, social, etc...) from the collective contemporary culture oftentimes leads to exile from the "black community." The notion exists and is promoted regularly that if a black person acts in accordance with their own self interest instead of in the supposed interest of black people as a whole, they are labeled a sell out, an Uncle Tom, a race traitor - instead of simply being an individual with beliefs and self interests that lie outside the mainstream of black Americans.

Just out of curiosity, what is it exactly, or generally, about the philosophy of the Black Panthers and brother malcolm that you champion?

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
You "talk white" but you don't respect Malcolm X enough to capitalize his name? Curious that Africans is not but Black Panthers is capitalized, though...

MJ, the way i type anyone or any orgs name does not represent my feelings about them/it and their importance! its a sports forum...i have the worse grammar on packerrats b/c of laziness or irrelavance

glad to see you love malcolm tho :wink:

SkinBasket
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM

MJ, the way i type anyone or any orgs name does not represent my feelings about them/it and their importance! its a sports forum...i have the worse grammar on packerrats b/c of laziness or irrelavance

If you don't take your methods and means of communication seriously, how do you expect others to do so?

MJZiggy
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
So then Malcolm X is irrelevant.

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Fixed.

not...

Black culture isn't nearly as mysterious as you want to make it out to be. Perpetuating the myth that somehow non-blacks don't know what it's like to be black and therefore cannot possibly understand black culture is about as useful as claiming you're well read, but expressing yourself like a 3rd grader. Any culture can be studied and understood by applying the emotions and experiences that all humans share. Unless there are emotions reserved only for black Americans that you're all hiding from the rest of the world?

Maybe it's time some people stopped hiding behind their race as a means to explain thoughts and behavior that would otherwise be unacceptable or unreasonable and started expressing themselves in a meaningful way that allows them to share themselves, their beliefs, and experiences with the rest of the world. Maybe they would learn more about themselves than they thought they could.

I don't think black America is by any means homogeneous. However, deviation (sexual, political, racial, social, etc...) from the collective contemporary culture oftentimes leads to exile from the "black community." The notion exists and is promoted regularly that if a black person acts in accordance with their own self interest instead of in the supposed interest of black people as a whole, they are labeled a sell out, an Uncle Tom, a race traitor - instead of simply being an individual with beliefs and self interests that lie outside the mainstream of black Americans.

Just out of curiosity, what is it exactly, or generally, about the philosophy of the Black Panthers and brother malcolm that you champion?

c'mon man, its not the 1970s so folk arent thinking one is a sell-out for having a success orientation... thats what i meant by you being wrong in your previous post... even folk ive talked to in the hood think vick was dumb for not exercising discretion or for being involved in such non-sense given his SES and potential...just b/c some may think he was treated unfairly doesnt mean they support his actions as some sort of "cool" thing to do

reading about black culture or even having a few black associates doesnt automatically make one an expert on the group as a whole...just like studying the mau mau hasnt made me all-knowing about their culture..all my pals in highschool were white and its the dominant culture so quite naturally we should "know" more about u all as a result of mainstream mediums

what i endorse about the panthers and bro malcolm is their advocating racial pride and how this promotes said success orientation (my dissertation proved as much with 3 and 5 grade boys)...oh, and i would have DEF been the gun palming type back then as opposed to turning other cheek ala martin - peace bobby seale and lil bobby hutton

you've made a few assumptions that speak to ignorance but i dont hold it against you b/c thats the way man is...i dont even care that much- live and let live....god bless

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM

Fixed.

not...

yet you write deliberately in some sort of quasi-ebonic style that ought to offend yourself.

sorry i dont impress you by how i post on a forum meant for ENTERTAINMENT.... my advisor in grad school LOVED my writing skills as wel as my boss who gave me a raise last month..will u pay me if i show improvement smart guy? :roll: actully the rolln eyes is kinda gay but oh well..

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2009, 09:12 PM

If you don't take your methods and means of communication seriously, how do you expect others to do so?

NOT THAT SERIOUS - are u just into banter or something? my typing is THAT meaningful in the grand scheme?

you win, i suck at posting

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
So then Malcolm X is irrelevant.

yep, thats EXACTLY what i meant to convey MJ

SkinBasket
07-29-2009, 09:19 PM
c'mon man, its not the 1970s so folk arent thinking one is a sell-out for having a success orientation... thats what i meant by you being wrong in your previous post... even folk ive talked to in the hood think vick was dumb for not exercising discretion or for being involved in such non-sense given his SES and potential...just b/c some may think he was treated unfairly doesnt mean they support his actions as some sort of "cool" thing to do

reading about black culture or even having a few black associates doesnt automatically make one an expert on the group as a whole...just like studying the mau mau hasnt made me all-knowing about their culture..all my pals in highschool were white and its the dominant culture so quite naturally we should "know" more about u all as a result of mainstream mediums

what i endorse about the panthers and bro malcolm is their advocating racial pride and how this promotes said success orientation (my dissertation proved as much with 3 and 5 grade boys)...oh, and i would have DEF been the gun palming type back then as opposed to turning other cheek ala martin - peace bobby seale and lil bobby hutton

you've mad a few assumptions that speak to ignorance but i dont hold it against you b/c thats the way man is...god bless

No it's not the 1970's, so maybe it's time to stop acting like it is. You want to treat black culture like it's some kind of exclusive club with all kinds of secret handshakes and things us white folk just don't understand. Unfortunately for your perspective, black culture has seen a lot of exposure to the "main stream" over the past 20 years. Accusing those who don't agree with certain aspects of said culture of racism or ignorance is just another excuse to continue being racist and ignorant, which I really don't believe you are.

Like it or not, black American culture is still part of American culture as a whole. Some of us white folk pay attention. Some of us have experience and relationships with black folk - even "hood" folk. At some point you'll have to own up to those aspects that don't reflect well on that culture instead of deflecting with charges of ignorance. Or maybe not, since we're just on an internet forum.

I respect your opinions, but I hope you understand that I find some of your positions just as ignorant as you seem to find mine. The difference, from my perspective, is that I'm not using that ignorance as an excuse or a free pass.

MOBB DEEP
07-29-2009, 09:28 PM

you've mad a few assumptions that speak to ignorance but i dont hold it against you b/c thats the way man is...god bless

No it's not the 1970's, so maybe it's time to stop acting like it is. You want to treat black culture like it's some kind of exclusive club with all kinds of secret handshakes and things us white folk just don't understand. Unfortunately for your perspective, black culture has seen a lot of exposure to the "main stream" over the past 20 years. Accusing those who don't agree with certain aspects of said culture of racism or ignorance is just another excuse to continue being racist and ignorant, which I really don't believe you are.

Like it or not, black American culture is still part of American culture as a whole. Some of us white folk pay attention. Some of us have experience and relationships with black folk - even "hood" folk. At some point you'll have to own up to those aspects that don't reflect well on that culture instead of deflecting with charges of ignorance. Or maybe not, since we're just on an internet forum.

I respect your opinions, but I hope you understand that I find some of your positions just as ignorant as you seem to find mine. The difference, from my perspective, is that I'm not using that ignorance as an excuse or a free pass.

maybe u misunderstood my position; not once have i posted that WE should get a free pass b/c we're just misunderstood....and im the most affable cat ever so i have NO problem being corrected or educated; im an information seeker

folk just need to remain lighthearted since lifes too short to be complaining about grammar imho

mraynrand
07-29-2009, 09:45 PM

Fixed.

not...

sorry i dont impress you by how i post on a forum meant for ENTERTAINMENT....

Actually, the way you write does impress me - that's why I commented on it. You ideas and the way you express them impress me as confused, demeaning (mostly to you) and and often self-contradictory. For example, would you care to define black 'culture' and white 'culture?'

mraynrand
07-29-2009, 09:47 PM
maybe u misunderstood my position; not once have i posted that WE should get a free pass b/c we're just misunderstood...

which 'WE' - I thought you claimed it was a non-homogeneous. Isn't characterizing an entire group as being uniform a contradiction and also stereotyping?

SkinBasket
07-30-2009, 08:26 AM

NOT THAT SERIOUS - are u just into banter or something? my typing is THAT meaningful in the grand scheme?

you win, i suck at posting

I would simply point out that we're on a forum, where you use written words to express your ideas and thoughts. If you don't take those words seriously, I wouldn't expect anyone to take your ideas too seriously either. Seems counter productive to posting them in the first place. But hey, if you want that to be "your thing," then who am I to judge how you want others to perceive you?

folk just need to remain lighthearted since lifes too short

tru dat.

Did I do that right?

NewsBruin
07-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm glad Mobb posts here, so we can treat him like the Packerrats' Ambassador to the Black Race.

Mobb, when you go on your next embassy, would you mind asking them to justify Isaac the Bartender?

Regarding an earlier post, I mentioned AI, not because I didn't like him -I think he's tough as nails and fun to watch- but because every year we hear the obligatory sports story of "Will he step up and be a leader?", which includes the required introspective comments and promises of seriousness and maturity we demand from our athletes.

That's why I mentioned Leinert, too. Oh, this is a super-serious season for him. He's a dad now and has no time for beer-funnelling and football and leadership are super-important and blahdyblahblah.

The media was asking the same questions about Vick before the arrest, and it was getting the same stock promises. Obviously, his circumstances have changed. His starting position is no longer a guarantee, and he'll likely not be wheeled around by the owner on the stadium floor. How he will respond, I have no idea.

SnakeLH2006
07-30-2009, 11:42 PM
:butt: Wow.

"Pssst..Hey, Mobb...Snake just rolled one up bro. Sneak out back." :smk:

LOL. Lighten up folks, please. Mobb seems to be a pretty good guy. It's an Internet forum. Let the man talk. He's not hurting, threatening anyone. Snake is entertained by this topic, though. I'll buy you all a beer, even. :glug: :huh:

MichiganPackerFan
07-31-2009, 07:26 AM
LOL. Lighten up folks, please. Mobb seems to be a pretty good guy. It's an Internet forum. Let the man talk. He's not hurting, threatening anyone. Snake is entertained by this topic, though. I'll buy you all a beer, even. :glug: :huh:

Agreed. Nicely put.

pbmax
07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, we seem to have made progress since the bannings. We have gone from attacking each other over the content of the posts (Favre) to attacking each other for the writing style of our posts.

Good work everyone. We all know how well "suggestions" on how to personally improve are always gladly received and never misinterpreted on an anonymous message board. Especially when they are framed in the non-threating and non-hysterical background of race.

I am sure this will all end harmoniously. Capitalization, the impenetrability of black culture, Malcolm X and Ebonics. All fit subjects for the reinstatement of Michael Vick.

edit: Dammit, how did I forget to use this?

:soap:

KYPack
07-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Mobb deserves an occasional ear pull, but this little session might be excessive.

There is some scuttlebut afoot that Vick may just sign with the Seattle Seahawks. Mora knows him and Seattle is just far enough off the beaten path that he might just be able to become a back-up and ease his way back in the league.

We will see.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2009, 09:55 AM
It's always sumthin.

SkinBasket
07-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Mobb deserves an occasional ear pull, but this little session might be excessive.

Ah, I doubt Mobb takes any of this too seriously. He's told us as much. Until TC starts, WTF else do we have to do but nag each other about the inane?

KYPack
07-31-2009, 10:15 AM

Ah, I doubt Mobb takes any of this too seriously. He's told us as much. Until TC starts, WTF else do we have to do but nag each other about the inane?

Fair enough. I know Mobb can take care of himself. I yell at him too, sometimes. The Favre love can be tedious. I was assessing a 5 yd penalty for piling on.

Nobody gives a shit about the "Vick to Seattle" weak rumor I posted?

pbmax
07-31-2009, 10:20 AM
I just want his threads to stop getting more play than mine! :violin:

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2009, 08:07 PM
It's always sumthin.

lol...SC, i havnt forgotten about yuour little stereotype about black folk not having jobs...

im gonna have to come back with sumthn just as insulting to the white man's ego.....

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2009, 08:11 PM

Fixed.

not...

sorry i dont impress you by how i post on a forum meant for ENTERTAINMENT....

Actually, the way you write does impress me - that's why I commented on it. You ideas and the way you express them impress me as confused, demeaning (mostly to you) and and often self-contradictory. For example, would you care to define black 'culture' and white 'culture?'

lol, the last thing i thought would happen on a forum is that i would "demean" myself by the way i post...wat has the world become

LIVE AND LET LIVE....even forums are mere ENTERTAINMENT as snake points out

my best female friend just learned she has cancer.... :cry:

ONE LOVE...

MOBB DEEP
08-02-2009, 08:16 PM

the ONLY thing i care about on this forum is being misunderstood or misquoted; other than that i try to remain lighthearted and non-offensive (except to my race and self according to 1 poster)

hard being the only pepper in this salt shaker he he...

im thinking Vick da great should do UFL

SkinBasket
08-03-2009, 07:53 AM

the ONLY thing i care about on this forum is being misunderstood or misquoted; other than that i try to remain lighthearted and non-offensive (except to my race and self according to 1 poster)

hard being the only pepper in this salt shaker he he...

im thinking Vick da great should do UFL

It's only as hard as you choose to make it.

I'm thinking you're thinking Vick should do UFL because Vick has no other option right now. Sounds kind of like teams aren't liking what they're hearing from him and/or his representation.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Burress got indicted today. I'm guessing he'll do double the time Vick did.

Fritz
08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Skin, is that new avatar an alien turd or a carnival pretzel?

MJZiggy
08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I thought it was calamari. It's not?

SkinBasket
08-03-2009, 09:07 PM
It's actually a person's (by person, I mean someone with no other prior knowledge of me) visual representation of what a SkinBasket might be. Apparently he imagined deep fried bacon at a Jack In the Box. I'll take that as a compliment.

Fritz
08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I thought a "skinbasket" was self-explanatory.

pbmax
08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
You expect Plaxico to get 46 months? After the prosecutor has offered him a year in jail for a plea agreement?

Or did I miss the joke.

pbmax
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
It's only as hard as you choose to make it.
I think you have lent a helping hand here.

Scott Campbell
08-03-2009, 09:58 PM
You expect Plaxico to get 46 months? After the prosecutor has offered him a year in jail for a plea agreement?

Or did I miss the joke.

Isn't it a mandatory sentence? And I thought Mike did 18 months?

pbmax
08-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Or did I miss the joke.

Isn't it a mandatory sentence? And I thought Mike did 18 months?
Vick was out early on good behavior, yes. One of Plaxico's charges has a minimum, but the prosecutor and judge have wide discretion in where to serve (jail, probation, house arrest, etc.). The first plea deals all offered one year in jail, then additional time supervised or house arrest. Plax thinks he can beat it, or at least get something other than jail time.

My guess is that after the testify before the grand jury ploy did not work, they will go back to a plea deal. Since he has no playing options currently, now would be the time to serve it.

Lurker64
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Last night on ESPN radio, everybody's favorite ESPN weasel John Clayton said that all but three teams had come on record as saying "no" to Michael Vick. Of the three teams he listed that were at least potentially interested, none of them were Green Bay.

Did I miss some sort of statement by Thompson on Vick, or was John Clayton mistaken?

Chevelle2
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Thats odd, on Around The Horn today, they said GB was one of 5 teams INTERESTED.

pbmax
08-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Florio's Anti Vick Signing Team List does not have the Packers on it (as in, they have NOT made a public statement against signing him). To my memory, this is correct.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/28/the-anti-vick-list/

Administrator
08-04-2009, 02:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4376513

GM Thompson won't rule out Vick
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson isn't ruling out potential interest in Michael Vick.

Asked Tuesday about the possibility of signing Vick, Thompson said the team looks "at all options at all times" but didn't want to speculate about the odds of the team actually pursuing him.

"We look at everything," Thompson said.

Thompson typically is coy about the team's plans, so it wasn't immediately clear whether his comments indicated sincere interest in Vick.

Vick has been conditionally reinstated in the NFL after completing a 23-month federal sentence for running a dogfighting ring. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has said Vick can sign with a team and begin playing by week six of the NFL season.

More than two dozen NFL teams have said they're not interested in signing the 29-year-old Vick. The others have declined comment or taken a stance like that of the Packers.

Chevelle2
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Just adding feul to the fire...

http://packerslounge.com/vick-to-the-pack

SkinBasket
08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Despite my feelings that what he has to offer doesn't exceed the baggage he brings, I would find it interesting to have him in GB. A banana sandwich would be more confidence inspiring than either of our backups, and if Vick really doesn't have any other options, or very limited ones, he might be more open to the idea of playing other positions than QB and helping the team while he rehabs his career. Assuming he can get into football shape by the time he can play again.

If he comes into town just thinking he's going to chill out while he bids his time for whatever QB jobs are available next year and waits for more people to forget what he did, I don't think it's worth it at all, however, and brings a lot of potentially bombastic trouble to the locker room.

Patler
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
If the Packers sign Vick, his old number "7" is in use, so he will need a new number.
I understand #4 isn't being used this year. :twisted:

Lurker64
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
If the Packers sign Vick, his old number "7" is in use, so he will need a new number.

I'm sure Jeremy Kapinos would be happy to sell his number to Vick though, not that Kapinos is a lock to make the team.

Waldo
08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
One thing to consider about PETA protests......

This is a group noted to be anti-animal farming (cough, cheese), anti-hunting, and anti-fishing.

Lambeau field, full of people getting drunk wearing blaze and camo, tailgating on the tailgate of their F350 they use on the farm, with Brats on the grill and cheese on their head......

Might not be the most welcoming crowd to their causes, and might scare away a good amount of the protesting. I can't imagine PETA having a big presence in Wi.

Chevelle2
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Step 1: Open iTunes

Step 2: Put on a song you like

Step 3: Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HCeUKI63u4&feature=related

Deputy Nutz
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
One thing to consider about PETA protests......

This is a group noted to be anti-animal farming (cough, cheese), anti-hunting, and anti-fishing.

Lambeau field, full of people getting drunk wearing blaze and camo, tailgating on the tailgate of their F350 they use on the farm, with Brats on the grill and cheese on their head......

Might not be the most welcoming crowd to their causes, and might scare away a good amount of the protesting. I can't imagine PETA having a big presence in Wi.

Peta can come to Green Bay, but I don't see many of them leaving.

pbmax
08-04-2009, 05:40 PM
If its available, watch the video or catch the audio of Thompson when he gets that question. From the audio I heard, he actually sighs about having to answer the question and then gives the stock FA answer. If Vick is secretly being discussed, Thompson is a much better PR guy that he is given credit for.

By the way, the Packer Lounge link lists a quote as by Thompson, when it is by an observer of the PC.

At the 3:30 mark, sigh then what looks like a dismissive comment couched in say nothingness:

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/2009_training_camp/video_20090804__629968c40617__25eefa65efdd/

MOBB DEEP
08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
i frickn LOVE ted (infamy) thompson for considering vick da great

BallHawk
08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
i frickn LOVE ted (infamy) thompson for considering vick da great

He's not considering him. He's just not not considering him.

Waldo
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
From Barnett's Twitter:

I been doing some reading of a couple articles and seen that we are very interested in vick!!!! That's a good thing man he is a versatile

Weapon... Imgine 3rd down and 5 spread formation mike vick back there !!! Pretty tough to stop our defense chould :-) but man that's a nice

Weapon

From PL:

@NickBarnett if it's third down, the only guy I want in there is Rodgers.

From Barnett:

Any one remember playoff game awhile ago against Atlanta??

@PackersLounge I understand that me too but it's not bad to have a wrinkle for 1 play in the game

Well I see people have reservations about his past do I need to print some bible scripts??? :-)

Don't get me wrong am not saying replace Rodgers!!! No f..ing way am saying great backup and possiable wildcat deal.

Chevelle2
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
More from Barnett

Don't get me wrong am not saying replace Rodgers!!! No f..ing way am saying great backup and possiable wildcat deal.

It will trickle to the players now, thru Barnett... :D

MOBB DEEP
08-04-2009, 10:25 PM
GET VICK DA GREAT....he could be the next des howard for pack

Lurker64
08-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Since Vick is "conditionally reinstated" with his fate "to come, before week six" at what point would he take up a roster spot if picked up?

Chevelle2
08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Since Vick is "conditionally reinstated" with his fate "to come, before week six" at what point would he take up a roster spot if picked up?

He can play in the preseason, so I suppose we could either go with 51 week 1-5, or 52, and cut 1 come week 6.

Waldo
08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Suspended players don't take up a roster spot I believe (reserve/suspended list).

Chevelle2
08-04-2009, 10:41 PM
More from Barnett

It will trickle to the players now, thru Barnett... :D

And like clockwork...

@RyanGrant25 what do you think about the vick debate??

MOBB DEEP
08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
I'm thinking you're thinking Vick should do UFL because Vick has no other option right now

WRONG.....i want to see him start and play an entire game and dont think it will happen in nfl in 2009...

an nfl team will DEF sign him SOON but not as startn QB :cry:

Chevelle2
08-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Ok well looks like all that vick talk I might have to answer some question Tom uh oh37 minutes ago from TwitterFon

Barnett

BallHawk
08-05-2009, 02:16 PM

If you were a coach would you want a guy that hasn't played in the NFL since 2006 leading your team at QB immediately?

And, for the sake of the question, let's just say this hypothetical guy is white.

Chevelle2
08-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I know Packerchatters doesn't have a good rap here, but over there Arrigo says there is real interest in Vick, FWIW.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Waldo
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I know Packerchatters doesn't have a good rap here, but over there Arrigo says there is real interest in Vick, FWIW.

I think the only place Packerchatters has a good rep is at Packerchatters.

Heck I've only check it out on rare occasions, and never spent much time there, but I really can't stand it.

Their two big personalities, Patty and Arrigo, I essentially disagree with about everything. (Kinda funny how much Patty and Palmy disagree about prospects (Palmy at FF), I trust darn near 100% that Palmy is a professional scout).

When was the last time Arrigo was right about anything? Finley was in his list of 100 guys we were interested in in '08. :lol:

Bretsky
08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
let Vick the prick play for Al Douchebag Davis

SnakeLH2006
08-07-2009, 11:22 PM

OMFG! I thought Arrigo left PC? No? Used to be on there loving his rumors...till Reggie-Gate happened Draft Day...Are you serious? Arrigo is back? If so, gotta check that out for shits n' giggles. Damn.

HarveyWallbangers
08-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Interesting article. I found the quotes the most interesting.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/52721017.html

"We're built for distractions with what we went through," cornerback Charles Woodson said after practice Friday, referring to the media circus that took place last year before the Brett Favre trade. "Of course, A-Rod is our quarterback. You don't want that being a competition. But what he has (athletically) can only make you better."

"Aaron's our leader," receiver Donald Driver said. "This is his team. There's no debate about that."

"I think guys would open their arms up to him and respect him like a normal man," Driver said. "I don't know if you can worry about all the issues that would happen behind it because you can't predict what will happen. I don't think it's a risk. If he's a great player, you bring him in, and if it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, you move forward. We're going to keep playing football regardless of the situation."

"The question you have to ask is does rewarding this guy with a multimillion dollar contract and the opportunity to serve as a role model for young kids out there really send the best message," said Dan Shannon, director of campaigns for PETA. "Obviously, we have to see what happens. We haven't taken anything off the table."

"It's going to come down to this," said linebacker Nick Barnett, who is in favor of bringing in Vick. "Are you going to give him a shot regardless of what PETA people are going to be out there? Ted is no (coward). There were a lot of people protesting Brett Favre not being back and he pulled the trigger. He did what he believed in, and we've got A-Rod as our quarterback. A great quarterback.

"He's going to make the right decision. He's not going to shrimp out because of someone else's opinion. If he thinks it's going to help this team, he's going to pull that trigger."

Waldo
08-08-2009, 01:59 AM

OMFG! I thought Arrigo left PC? No? Used to be on there loving his rumors...till Reggie-Gate happened Draft Day...Are you serious? Arrigo is back? If so, gotta check that out for shits n' giggles. Damn.

Reggie Gate?

At FF he showed up and made a thread with a bunch of photos from the USC pro day that he said that HE took.

Problem is that one of the guys at FF is good buddies with the guy that was the official photographer for the event that actually took the pictures.

I knew it in a minute. Those weren't pns pics, whoever took them had several thousand dollars worth of glass on the camera and was pro quality with it (they were as good or better than the NFL.com shots), as some of the shots were taken in extremely difficult shooting conditions.

woodbuck27
08-08-2009, 06:12 AM

Coming from you. That is surprizing. You actually do have your quirky side.

but really. . . .

What is that? WHAT is that??

WHAT IS THAT Patler???

If number 4 is ever used by another player in Green Bay the shit willl hit the fan for those of us that respect Brett Favre. Favre has all his bases covered with the decision not to join the Vikings. At least allow him some dignity.

MJZiggy
08-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Patler not only has a quirky side, he also has a sense of humor...

woodbuck27
08-08-2009, 06:21 AM

The Packers didn't want Brett Favre or the likes of Randy Moss. Is there anyone here that seriously believes that Ted Thompson would sign Michael Vick?

If so the comedy is over the top too high. Yup Michael Vick in the Green and Gold.

See it? I don't.

woodbuck27
08-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Patler not only has a quirky side, he also has a sense of humor...

A sense of humor!? Not a trace of one in that post.

A wise man looks at all things equally for the short and long term before he or she presents an opinion or response. It's fundamentle to having integrety and that has nothing to do with popular opinion.

MJZiggy
08-08-2009, 06:28 AM
The only flaw in that logic is that we had Favre for 16 years and he left (don't want the whole argument, but we can agree this much is true). And we tried to get Randy Moss. And almost did.

Scott Campbell
08-08-2009, 06:39 AM

This is an outrage! They shouldn't be using Majik's number.

Gunakor
08-08-2009, 06:40 AM

The Packers didn't want Brett Favre or the likes of Randy Moss. Is there anyone here that seriously believes that Ted Thompson would sign Michael Vick?

If so the comedy is over the top too high. Yup Michael Vick in the Green and Gold.

See it? I don't.

Actually, the Packers DID want Randy Moss. They had made an offer for him and had the deal wrapped up the night before the draft, from all accounts I've heard.

That's like saying the Packers didn't want Adam Vinatieri or Tony Gonzales either.

Thompson hasn't said either way whether he's talking to Vick and his agent, only to say that he's considering it. I'd hope that's the line he feeds the media regarding all potential pickups, regardless of the players name and history. It goes along with his being very vague to the media, which I fully support.

woodbuck27
08-08-2009, 07:12 AM
The only flaw in that logic is that we had Favre for 16 years and he left (don't want the whole argument, but we can agree this much is true). And we tried to get Randy Moss. And almost did.

Favre left! Brett Favre was traded to the NY Jets after one of his best seasons. It should be very obvious to everyone here at Packerrats that Favre wanted to play for our team in 2008. That was Favre's wish before the slide to that trade.

Ted Thompson and the Packer organization decided to change direction (and finally give Aaron Rodgers his shot) and that sort of decision isn't uncommon in many pro sports organizations.

"we tried to get Randy Moss. And almost did" MJ Ziggy

An alert GM in the play for such a player as a Randy Moss doesn't just try to get a Randy Moss. He doesn't go to sleep, 'thinking', he had that player in his pocket. He works tirelessly to certainly acquire that key player. That player that could very well put his team over the top.

Almost getting the job done doesn't cut the mustard. Almost = failure.

As Packer fans we should only hope that TT learned from that failure but how do we measure such growth from Ted Thompson? Do we have to wait for 'the book'?

woodbuck27
08-08-2009, 07:13 AM

This is an outrage! They shouldn't be using Majik's number.

Now. That's humor. :lol:

MJZiggy
08-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Favre left! Brett Favre was traded to the NY Jets after one of his best seasons. It should be very obvious to everyone here at Packerrats that Favre wanted to play for our team in 2008. That was Favre's wish before the slide to that trade.

Ted Thompson and the Packer organization decided to change direction (and finally give Aaron Rodgers his shot) and that sort of decision isn't uncommon in many pro sports organizations.

An alert GM in the play for such a player as a Randy Moss doesn't just try to get a Randy Moss. He doesn't go to sleep, 'thinking', he had that player in his pocket. He works tirelessly to certainly acquire that key player. That player that could very well put his team over the top.

As Packer fans we should only hope that TT learned from that failure but how do we measure such growth from Ted Thompson? Do we have to wait for 'the book'?Ohferchrissakes!

Patler
08-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Woodbuck, you really need to lighten up about the whole Favre matter.

As to giving Vick Favre's number:
They already announced that "4" will be retired. I guarantee it will not be used before it becomes official.
I figure the chances of them signing Vick are about as high as that of giving "4" to a player.
Therefore my comment.

It should be very obvious to everyone here at Packerrats that Favre wanted to play for our team in 2008. That was Favre's wish before the slide to that trade.

What should be obvious to everyone is that Favre's entire off season in 2008 was orchestrated in an attempt to play for someone else in 2008, not for the Packers. In fact, it is my position that he had hoped to leave Green Bay for at least a couple season. He tried to force the Packers to do it on his terms in 2008, but was unable to. This season he was able to force the Jets to give him free agent status, so he did.

ThunderDan
08-08-2009, 09:53 AM

As Packer fans we should only hope that TT learned from that failure but how do we measure such growth from Ted Thompson? Do we have to wait for 'the book'?

How would Moss have helped our 13-3 Packers that year?? How would he have beaten the Giants?

He couldn't beat the Giants in the SB.

Chevelle2
08-08-2009, 10:09 AM

"I think guys would open their arms up to him and respect him like a normal man," Driver said. "I don't know if you can worry about all the issues that would happen behind it because you can't predict what will happen. I don't think it's a risk. If he's a great player, you bring him in, and if it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, you move forward. We're going to keep playing football regardless of the situation."

"It's going to come down to this," said linebacker Nick Barnett, who is in favor of bringing in Vick. "Are you going to give him a shot regardless of what PETA people are going to be out there? Ted is no (coward). There were a lot of people protesting Brett Favre not being back and he pulled the trigger. He did what he believed in, and we've got A-Rod as our quarterback. A great quarterback.

Woodson said he does not condone what Vick did, but he said he has no preconceived notions about what kind of person he is or whether he would be poison in the Packers' locker room. As a player who was outspoken during the offseason about adding free agents, Woodson said he would support adding Vick to the roster.

Nick Collins also said, in his lockerroom interview on packers.com, the team would "accept him with open arms."

Scott Campbell
08-08-2009, 10:10 AM
What should be obvious to everyone is that Favre's entire off season in 2008 was orchestrated in an attempt to play for someone else in 2008, not for the Packers. In fact, it is my position that he had hoped to leave Green Bay for at least a couple season. He tried to force the Packers to do it on his terms in 2008, but was unable to. This season he was able to force the Jets to give him free agent status, so he did.

I agree with you. I also think this was supported by his saying he'd comeback in March, and then double clutching when the Packer said "great - here's your old job back". He quickly retreated back into retired status.

And then there was the August meeting in Green Bay that left McCarthy seething. Not much as been said as to why coach got so angry, but I suspect that he realized that Brett was just wasting every bodies time with a bunch of public posturing to gain his release, and had no intention of playing for or helping the Packers.

I agree with you that it feels obvious, though it can't be substantiated fully.

Chevelle2
08-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Im curious what makes you guys think he wanted to play elsewhere. He wanted to come back to Green Bay, no?

i think AFTER they said "no" he wanted to go elsewhere, but even before then?

Scott Campbell
08-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Im curious what makes you guys think he wanted to play elsewhere. He wanted to come back to Green Bay, no?

Yeah, I don't believe he wanted to play in Green Bay for some time. I'm not certain of his reasons, but suspect that Ted fulfilling his duty of preparing the franchise for life after Favre was hard for him to deal with.

Chevelle2
08-08-2009, 10:23 AM

"He's going to make the right decision. He's not going to shrimp out because of someone else's opinion. If he thinks it's going to help this team, he's going to pull that trigger."

Woodson said he does not condone what Vick did, but he said he has no preconceived notions about what kind of person he is or whether he would be poison in the Packers' locker room. As a player who was outspoken during the offseason about adding free agents, Woodson said he would support adding Vick to the roster.

Nick Collins also said, in his lockerroom interview on packers.com, the team would "accept him with open arms."

Quoting incase any one missed it.

Scott Campbell
08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Driver nailed it. If it works out, you win. If it doesn't work out you move forward without the guy. He's not getting pursued because of the freak show he'd potentially bring with him. But I'm wondering if things are beginning to die down, and that concern might be much ado about nothing.

We are 1 Aaron Rodgers injury away from a wasted season. Vick would give the team a fighting chance if that happened.

MichiganPackerFan
08-08-2009, 10:35 AM
How would Moss have helped our 13-3 Packers that year?? How would he have beaten the Giants?

He couldn't beat the Giants in the SB.

The only thing that would have won that game was McCarthy not panicking and giving up on the run. Pound the ball in Lambeau in December. When the defense is told to drop 11 into coverage on every play(kidding on the '11' of course) nothing good can happen.

Patler
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Favre has suggested for two off seasons that "maybe the Packers should or would release him.

As Scott said, he double-clutched when the Packers seemed OK when he first wanted to return.

"Just release me" was a standard byline to every interview he gave after he became serious about returning.

If he really wanted to comeback, he would have simply shut-up and been at camp.

]{ilr]3
08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
We are 1 Aaron Rodgers injury away from a wasted season. Vick would give the team a fighting chance if that happened.

This is what I keep thinking and makes me really like the idea of Vick signing with the Packers.

I would think Vick would like the idea of signing with the Packers as well. It gives him a great window to get back into the league with a respected team (By that I mean Not the Raiders) even for just a one year deal.

Rastak
08-08-2009, 03:07 PM
{ilr]3]

This is what I keep thinking and makes me really like the idea of Vick signing with the Packers.

I would think Vick would like the idea of signing with the Packers as well. It gives him a great window to get back into the league with a respected team (By that I mean Not the Raiders) even for just a one year deal.

I wasn't impressed with his QB ability when he was a full time football player....now that he's been out a couple years and has to learn a new offense....I wouldn't be afraid in the least as a opponent to see him trot out onto the field.

Rastak
08-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Anyway, the latest from PFT.com

Report: High level Packer visited Vick

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 8, 2009 3:01 PM ET
It's possible, even likely, that a handful of NFL teams have extensively researched the possibility of adding Michael Vick.

The Packers, though, are the only ones we know about for sure. And their interest appears more than cursory.

Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports said in a recent interview that the Packers sent a "high-level" personnel man to meet with Vick. (Robinson confirmed the news to PFT.)

An interview would appear to be taking a step beyond due diligence, but Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel credits sources that say a signing isn't imminent.

At this stage, Green Bay's interest is in a "holding pattern." Silverstein writes there is no reason to believe that the Packers "will do anything beyond discussing the pros and cons of bringing in one of the most dynamic offensive players of his time."

That could change depending on how Green Bay's young backup quarterbacks develop.

There have been mixed reviews regarding '08 seventh-round pick Matt Flynn's development, but second-round selection Brian Brohm has a lot to prove. He had a miserable rookie year, and there hasn't been any progress reported this offseason. Flynn looks like the backup.

If the Packers aren't comfortable with Flynn and Brohm after watching them in the preseason, they will be well equipped to make a decision about adding Vick.

Vick clearly would have no shot at ever supplanting Aaron Rodgers, but it would be a chance to get back into the NFL and rehab his image. The Packers wouldn't enter into such an agreement lightly, knowing that it could cause a distraction to the team.

Still, the players seem supportive of the move.

After saying that Aaron Rodgers was the clear leader of the team, wideout Donald Driver said that "guys would open their arms up to [Vick] and respect him like a normal man."

Cornerback Charles Woodson says the team is was built to handle any distraction after the Brett Favre saga and sounded open to the possibility. Safety Nick Collins agrees, and is in favor of bringing in Vick.

Collins points out that G.M. Ted Thompson made the unpopular decision to roll with Aaron Rodgers, and it proved correct.

"[Thompson is] going to make the right decision. He's not going to shrimp out because of someone else's opinion. If he thinks it's going to help this team, he's going to pull that trigger," Collins said.

We agree with Collins. If the Packers truly felt that Vick was be the best option available for their backup spot, they have prepared themselves enough to make the move.

Flynn could put the issue to rest with a monster preseason, but the Packers can't be ruled out as a potential Vick landing spot.

It looks like that's the closest thing to a positive NFL job lead that Vick has.

Fritz
08-08-2009, 06:45 PM
What I found interesting about the players' quotes is that two players at least - Collins and, I think, Woodson - both said that Thompson's not a coward when it comes to making unpopular moves, and both said he'd sign Vick if he thought it was right for the team. And one of them said - or one player said - that the Favre thing worked out great for the Packers because they have a "great" quarterback now.

These types of comments make me wonder if - and it's speculation, yes - maybe the players were glad Thompson finally called Brett's bluff.

woodbuck27
08-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Yeah, I don't believe he wanted to play in Green Bay for some time. I'm not certain of his reasons, but suspect that Ted fulfilling his duty of preparing the franchise for life after Favre was hard for him to deal with.

Tensions had to be high between Favre and TT after TT muffed the possible Randy Moss acquisition. Favre certainly wanted Moss as a target. Also the team that Favre knew in terms of personnel was being rapidly depleted.

Yet when push came to shove it's my best impression that Brett Favre wanted to continue in Green Bay and certainly based on 2007 as our starting QB. The decision to go with ARod was certainly a hard blow to Favre. TT decided that it was Aaron Rodgers turn. Consequently Favre most certainly wanted out. The clash of egos between Favre and TT took a new twist.

The thing we don't know yet is when did TT and MM go to Favre with the news that he would be our back-up? Therein lies the real story.

GO PACK GO!

Chevelle2
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Most overblown story: The Michael Vick soap opera lingered, but the fact is he’s not coming to Green Bay. I wish Ted Thompson would say that publicly, but in staying consistent with his policy of not revealing information about personnel decisions, Thompson allowed this tall tale to fester. Some media outlets tried hard to run with this story, but it’s all sizzle and no steak. Yes, the Packers checked Vick out like every other potential free agent, but no, they aren’t serious about signing him.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090808/PKR07/90808059/1058/PKR01/Hits--misses-from-first-week-of-camp&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

FWIW ^

I don't know how reliable this guy is but he doesn't really say much other than "No." Not even a source or anything. At this point, I have heard more about how we are interested vs we are not.

retailguy
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
We are 1 Aaron Rodgers injury away from a wasted season.

Nah. We've got great depth. Experience is over-rated. Let the young guys play. I think you'll be surprised. They can win a few.

pbmax
08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Most overblown story: The Michael Vick soap opera lingered, but the fact is he’s not coming to Green Bay. I wish Ted Thompson would say that publicly, but in staying consistent with his policy of not revealing information about personnel decisions, Thompson allowed this tall tale to fester. Some media outlets tried hard to run with this story, but it’s all sizzle and no steak. Yes, the Packers checked Vick out like every other potential free agent, but no, they aren’t serious about signing him.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090808/PKR07/90808059/1058/PKR01/Hits--misses-from-first-week-of-camp&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

FWIW ^

I don't know how reliable this guy is but he doesn't really say much other than "No." Not even a source or anything. At this point, I have heard more about how we are interested vs we are not.
That story is two days old and Vandermause does not mention sending someone to interview/review Vick in person. Vandermause might know something we don't, but its not evident from his write-up.

woodbuck27
08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-07-30-michael-vick-list_N.htm

Check out the above link. Then ask yourself is there a common thread between the most positive statements regarding Michael Vick potentially on certain teams and those same teams leading the parade as the most likely candidates to win this seasons Super Bowl?

Just my observation. Talented teams spot obvious talent and are always genuinely looking to upgrade. I'm writing of New England and Pittsburgh in regard to which teams I see as front runners to go for Vick.

Green Bay Packers: General manager Ted Thompson refused to rule out signing Vick, but did not say the team was making an active play for him. "We're always looking to improve our team and we look at all options at all times," Thompson said. "I wouldn't care to speculate in terms of the odds or anything like that." (Aug. 4)

Is TT learning from the likes of Bill Bilichick? Not necessarily a bad thing as I see it as long as he doesn't proscribe to spywatch.

GO PACKERS!

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQIYa1AmNs

Tony Dungy's interview about Vick was interesting. Sounds like the NFL is pulling all the PR levers to bring Vick back.

bobblehead
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Just thinking out loud here. Randall Cunningham was an excellent punter when he did it....Maybe Vick can punt (he is a phenomenal athlete). Danny White the second?? Punter and backup QB who is always a threat to take off with the ball or throw it. That would have to help our coverage unit.

Anyway, no way we sign the circus even if he booms 60 yarders with 5.0 hang time.

KYPack
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Just thinking out loud here. Randall Cunningham was an excellent punter when he did it....Maybe Vick can punt (he is a phenomenal athlete). Danny White the second?? Punter and backup QB who is always a threat to take off with the ball or throw it. That would have to help our coverage unit.

Anyway, no way we sign the circus even if he booms 60 yarders with 5.0 hang time.

Lot's of Qb's used to punt. One of the greatest punters of all time was Sammy Baugh for instance. Now with starting QB's having 10% (or more) of the clubs payroll, no HC wants to risk having a QB hit with his leg up.

A punter who can throw is a helluva a weapon for fakes. I don't know of any teams who even have their 3rd QB punt.

KYPack
08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQIYa1AmNs

Tony Dungy's interview about Vick was interesting. Sounds like the NFL is pulling all the PR levers to bring Vick back.

Yer right there, HH.

Goddell is putting in overtime to grease the PR wheel for Vick.

Chevelle2
08-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Firstly, by all accounts Brohm and Flynn shit the bed in practice today, FYI.

Secondly, Vick is gonna be on 60 min Sunday night! MUST SEE MV!

Chevelle2
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Michael Vick spoke with CBS' James Brown today in an interview that will air on 60 Minutes this Sunday.

Vick has been largely silent since leaving federal custody last month after completing his sentence for a federal dogfighting conviction.

The NFL conditionally reinstated Vick late last month, but no team has signed him. Former Colts coach Tony Dungy said on NBC Sunday that several teams have contacted him about Vick and that he thinks Vick could sign on with a team this week.

Late last month, Vick's agent, Joel Segal, told the NFL Network that the quarterback would be making an apology for his crime in a public forum "very soon."

Scott Campbell
08-10-2009, 05:30 PM

Nah. We've got great depth. Experience is over-rated. Let the young guys play. I think you'll be surprised. They can win a few.

Maybe it's just me, but that statement seems to lack your usual amount of conviction.

pbmax
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Florio's got someone who told him there are five teams in the chase. He also mentions that he has heard that some of the teams (yes, more than one) chasing after Vick have publicly said No.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/10/five-teams-chasing-vick/

retailguy
08-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Maybe it's just me, but that statement seems to lack your usual amount of conviction.

:twisted: Me? Truthfully, I'm not confident at all, but I do believe that you gotta let the young guys play. Vick, or anyone else out there, for that matter won't save the season.

You make the commitment to youth, you've got to stick with it, you know?

Tarlam!
08-11-2009, 02:45 AM
You make the commitment to youth, you've got to stick with it, you know?

Normally, you'd be spot on with this assessment. But what's normal in the NFL? Normal seems to be evaluating and reavaluating on a daily basis. The commitment of 24 hours ago might not be the commitment of today.

The fact that TT doesn't work for an owner like Al Davis or, the other extreme, the Rooneys, means (or so it seems) his "normaliy" isn't easily benchmarked.

That's what makes TT's decisions (or lack of them) so interesting. And back to your point, why will TT decide to remain committed to his youth at the most important position in the offense if it is a glaring deficit? Not saying it is one, just discussing your otherwise very valid observation.

Patler
08-11-2009, 03:49 AM
Firstly, by all accounts Brohm and Flynn shit the bed in practice today, FYI.

?????? They did? They all seemed about equal to me.

final passing stats in all team drills: Rodgers 11-for-20, INT; Flynn 6-for-11; Brohm 3-for-5, INT.

From the blog descriptions, it seems like the back-ups in the O-line struggled a bit, giving up some sacks; and all three QBs seemed to have mis-fired a couple times on completions that should have been made.

Chevelle2
08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
^Brohm finished the last drive with a sack, an incompletion a throw away and an incompletion on a checkdown.

FWIW

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/12/vick-sighting-in-chicago/

Chicago is pretty close to WI....

Chevelle2
08-12-2009, 01:33 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter said Wednesday that Tony Dungy is right about Michael Vick having a new team in the next five days.
According to Schefter, the "signing is coming down" but nobody knows where. Schefter's own Vick list contains the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Packers and Panthers -- all rock-solid organizations. We don't see it happening in New England.

Chevelle2
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
A few things

1) Vick is in CHI for charity

2) Colldege's facebook:

Daryn Colledge wants to know how the fans would feel if Mike Vick was signed to GB. Just wondering.

3) Finleys twitter

Where is Michael Vick going to land!?!?!34 minutes ago from mobile web

Waldo
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure GB's locker room is 100% behind bringing Vick in.

Woodson and Barnett both have said they were strongly in favor of it, Grant was a little indifferent but certainly not against it. Jermichael has avoided the subject (probably wise for a younger guy).

Chevelle2
08-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty sure GB's locker room is 100% behind bringing Vick in.

Woodson and Barnett both have said they were strongly in favor of it, Grant was a little indifferent but certainly not against it. Jermichael has avoided the subject (probably wise for a younger guy).

Collins was also for the move.

bobblehead
08-12-2009, 04:40 PM
I didn't care what BF thought, and I don't really care what any current player thinks as far as personel moves. Vick would be a distraction of epic proportions, no way I want him in green and gold.

mraynrand
08-12-2009, 06:40 PM
A few things

How much did he get?

mission
08-12-2009, 07:35 PM
A few things

How much did he get?

:laugh:

MOBB DEEP
08-13-2009, 08:38 AM
personally, i feel what rick pitino (whom i LOVE) did is worse than what vick da great did!

however, the Word says we cant weigh sins...

but man's law excuses adultery/mistreatment of humans and harming ones wife (like SO many rich AND poor men do) but punishes mistreatrment of dogs SO harshly???

Jesus, SOON come!!!!!

Lurker64
08-13-2009, 01:28 PM
personally, i feel what rick pitino (whom i LOVE) did is worse than what vick da great did!

but man's law excuses adultery/mistreatment of humans and harming ones wife (like SO many rich AND poor men do) but punishes mistreatrment of dogs SO harshly???

Jesus, SOON come!!!!!

I think we're making a mistake by viewing all instances of "mistreatment" as under one heading. Just speaking purely from a "moral outrage" perspective, it's absolutely more acceptable to kick your dog than to kick your wife. Likewise it's more outrageous to murder your wife than to murder your dog.

But when you compare "murdering your dog" to "kicking your wife", it's not really entirely cut and dry.

DannoMac21
08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Apparently according to TMZ (I was at the site because I was watching Marbury smoke a joint on his webcam, absolute comedy) Vick said that he's going to be a tight end.

EDIT: http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/13/michael-vick-football-quarterback-tight-end-falcons-nfl-video/

SkinBasket
08-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Apparently according to TMZ (I was at the site because I was watching Marbury smoke a joint on his webcam, absolute comedy) Vick said that he's going to be a tight end.

You sure he wasn't defending his claims of retaining his prison virginity?

DannoMac21
08-13-2009, 04:42 PM

You sure he wasn't defending his claims of retaining his prison virginity?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MOBB DEEP
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Jesus, SOON come!!!!!

I think we're making a mistake by viewing all instances of "mistreatment" as under one heading. Just speaking purely from a "moral outrage" perspective, it's absolutely more acceptable to kick your dog than to kick your wife. Likewise it's more outrageous to murder your wife than to murder your dog.

But when you compare "murdering your dog" to "kicking your wife", it's not really entirely cut and dry.

i get ur point but i disagree; one of my fraternities cardinal prniciples is respect of womanhood...and a dog is an ANIMAL (like a deer) while women are created from men and bear our offspring so they should be placed above males actually and treated like a treasure...MOST black folk dont consider dogs as intregal to the family unit as white folk...

MOBB DEEP
08-14-2009, 06:08 PM
eagles win division now!

MOBB DEEP
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM

If you were a coach would you want a guy that hasn't played in the NFL since 2006 leading your team at QB immediately?

And, for the sake of the question, let's just say this hypothetical guy is white.

nope

MOBB DEEP
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm thinking you're thinking Vick should do UFL because Vick has no other option right now. Sounds kind of like teams aren't liking what they're hearing from him and/or his representation.

WHAT????

MJZiggy
08-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Jesus, SOON come!!!!!

i get ur point but i disagree; one of my fraternities cardinal prniciples is respect of womanhood...and a dog is an ANIMAL (like a deer) while women are created from men and bear our offspring so they should be placed above males actually and treated like a treasure... Then why are so many black women raising children alone?

SkinBasket
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM

WHAT????

YEAH!!!!!

http://hiphop.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/lil-jon-guiness-records-335a032307.jpg

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
this just in: Vick's eagle jerz is number 1 seller thus far on nflshop.com

INCREDIBLE.....

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Jesus, SOON come!!!!!

i get ur point but i disagree; one of my fraternities cardinal prniciples is respect of womanhood...and a dog is an ANIMAL (like a deer) while women are created from men and bear our offspring so they should be placed above males actually and treated like a treasure... Then why are so many black women raising children alone?

because respect of womanhood isnt promoted! duh

thus infidelity, porn HUGE biz, divorce highr than ever, rape higher, salary disparity, more single mothers ACROSS THE BOARD, domestic violence higher, and on and on

exactly what point were u trying to make with that question? u disagree that women are devalued or something?

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 02:51 PM
AMAZINGLY u can order a vick jersey for your dog!? wow, talk about capitalism at its worse....

i cant post the link but i googled it to see if it was a macabre joke

MadtownPacker
08-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Cmon Mobb, you know that trick ass white boy has....

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/images/pe_fearofablackplanet.jpg

That why he talk big racism on here when we know he tucks it and runs on the streets of Milwaukee. :lol:

Scott Campbell
08-21-2009, 05:51 PM
AMAZINGLY u can order a vick jersey for your dog!? wow, talk about capitalism at its worse....

Really? I'd like to get one of those for my neighbor.

http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/vickdog.jpg

Ok, these look pretty lousy.

MOBB DEEP
08-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Cmon Mobb, you know that trick ass white boy has....

http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/images/pe_fearofablackplanet.jpg

That why he talk big racism on here when we know he tucks it and runs on the streets of Milwaukee. :lol:

lol...WOW blast from the past

MOBB DEEP
08-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Really? I'd like to get one of those for my neighbor.

http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/vickdog.jpg

Ok, these look pretty lousy.

its actually a travesty that the nfl is pimping like this; they have no problem captalizing pretty much on anyrhing

MOBB DEEP
08-24-2009, 02:02 PM
tony dungy scolds vick for being seen at a philly airport havn a drink....wth? for one, if he's tryn to be in tiptop shape why drink period?! for 2, if u cant show restraint, at least show discretion and drink in private

when will cats learn?

SkinBasket
08-24-2009, 02:38 PM
tony dungy scolds vick for being seen at a philly airport havn a drink....wth? for one, if he's tryn to be in tiptop shape why drink period?! for 2, if u cant show restraint, at least show discretion and drink in private

when will cats learn?

Who the hell cares as long as he's not stomping a dog's head in? I don't care what legal activities he participates in because that's not what concerns me about him.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Ty is down on Vick for drinking Goose. Overrated.

MOBB DEEP
08-25-2009, 12:58 AM

he he...right....if ur going to drink have some bombay saphire

vick was actually in a hotel bar according to nfln

MichiganPackerFan
08-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with an adult having a drink or two. Actually I condone it. Vick's charges had nothing to do with alcohol. Non-story.

pbmax
08-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with an adult having a drink or two. Actually I condone it. Vick's charges had nothing to do with alcohol. Non-story.
Don't his troubles all stem from an inability to make good decisions? His probation terms contain language about alcohol use(via PFT from ESPN):

Paragraph 7 of the Standard Conditions of Supervision prohibit Vick from "excessive use of alcohol." But paragraph 3 of the Special Conditions of Supervision require Vick to participate in drug testing aimed at determining whether he has "reverted to the use of drugs or alcohol."

So, in one breath, Vick is prevented from engaging in "excessive use" of alcohol. On the other hand, he agrees to submit to testing for the purposes of finding out whether he has "reverted to the use of . . . alcohol."
While confusing, it would seem wise to forgo the use of alcohol to be safe. He doesn't have much margin for error left. This would seem to indicate a person who is changing just enough to get by.

MOBB DEEP
08-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Don't his troubles all stem from an inability to make good decisions? His probation terms contain language about alcohol use(via PFT from ESPN):

Paragraph 7 of the Standard Conditions of Supervision prohibit Vick from "excessive use of alcohol." But paragraph 3 of the Special Conditions of Supervision require Vick to participate in drug testing aimed at determining whether he has "reverted to the use of drugs or alcohol."

So, in one breath, Vick is prevented from engaging in "excessive use" of alcohol. On the other hand, he agrees to submit to testing for the purposes of finding out whether he has "reverted to the use of . . . alcohol."
While confusing, it would seem wise to forgo the use of alcohol to be safe. He doesn't have much margin for error left. This would seem to indicate a person who is changing just enough to get by.

BINGO....obviously alcohol impairs judgement, thus ron mexico....

thers time and place for things too; now is NOT the time

KYPack
08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Mobb, if you don't understand why you would take a drink at a Hotel or airport bar, there in nothing I can do to help you.

The proper time to drink at a hotel bar?

When you are near it.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 09:09 AM

I hear that Vick didn't wipe his ass properly either. The horror. THE HORROR!

pbmax
08-25-2009, 09:58 AM
If we only knew the true consequences to society from a lack of hygiene. :roll:

If you are out on probation, you abide by the terms of the probation. If people have put careers on the line for you to return, you stay on the straight and narrow.

Patler
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Michael Vick.....the saga continues. Nothing wrong with having a drink at a bar, unless of course you happen to be on probation. It's more than just the strict limitations of his probation. It's more than just the perception of Vick's actions. The last thing Vick needs right now is to be in a bar with some half-drunk jerk filled with bottle courage confronting him about his past. Things can happen quickly in a bar, and none of them would be good for Vick.

Going to dog races is perfectly legal. Does anyone think it would be wise for Vick to go to one?

At this point it isn't just about what is legal for Vick to do, or just about what he is prohibited from doing. It's more about what he should and shouldn't do to avoid any confrontations, any "scenes" and to repair his image and his position with the NFL. He should be well away from the boundaries of what he can and can not do.

MichiganPackerFan
08-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Having a drink in an airport bar is hardly an “excessive use of alcohol”. Actually, it’s pretty typical behavior for a normal person. Go to the airport, get their early to make sure you have time to get through security, wait for the reliably delayed plane (unless of course you’re running late), have a drink and chat with some fellow travelers to pass the time. Wait for your layover, have a drink and chat with some fellow travelers to pass the time.

I see NO reports that Vick was drunk or disorderly. I also have not seen any reports that say alcohol played ANY part in his Ron Mexico fiasco. Anyone who is making his having a drink in an airport into an issue is nitpicking ridiculously. The man just got out of prison, let him have a drink in peace.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Michael Vick.....the saga continues. Nothing wrong with having a drink at a bar, unless of course you happen to be on probation. It's more than just the strict limitations of his probation. It's more than just the perception of Vick's actions. The last thing Vick needs right now is to be in a bar with some half-drunk jerk filled with bottle courage confronting him about his past. Things can happen quickly in a bar, and none of them would be good for Vick.

Going to dog races is perfectly legal. Does anyone think it would be wise for Vick to go to one?

At this point it isn't just about what is legal for Vick to do, or just about what he is prohibited from doing. It's more about what he should and shouldn't do to avoid any confrontations, any "scenes" and to repair his image and his position with the NFL. He should be well away from the boundaries of what he can and can not do.

Maybe he can stay in a hermetically sealed box when not on the football field, just in case someone tries to talk to him and possibly draw him into an armed conflict that will require the intervention of the U.S. Marines to resolve.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM

If you are out on probation, you abide by the terms of the probation. If people have put careers on the line for you to return, you stay on the straight and narrow.

God help us all if Vick goes off the straight and narrow!

Patler
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM

Maybe he can stay in a hermetically sealed box when not on the football field, just in case someone tries to talk to him and possibly draw him into an armed conflict that will require the intervention of the U.S. Marines to resolve.

Get serious. What was his NEED to have that drink at that time in that place? If he wants a drink he can get it at other, less public places at other times. If he needed the drink, he has other problems. Bad things happen to athletes at drinking establishments with too great of a frequency for Vick to take that chance this soon. Its just dumb. Remember, he has NOT been reinstated yet to play. He can practice and play preseason games. He is not yet reinstated for any of the regular season. If I were him I would limit my public appearances to what I have to do and to what projects favorably on me. I would avoid anything that is optional if it might shine unfavorably on me, and a bar is one of those places.

I will ask again, does anyone think it would be a good idea for him to go to a dog track just to relax? I think it would be absolutely stupid for him to do it.

Patler
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Who is talking about how it would affect "us all". This is about how it might affect Vick and his future. It wouldn't affect me one bit if he goes out and gets another fighting dog. I would need no help from God if he did that either. However, it would not be a wise thing for Vick.

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Get serious. What was his NEED to have that drink at that time in that place? If he wants a drink he can get it at other, less public places at other times. If he needed the drink, he has other problems. Bad things happen to athletes at drinking establishments with too great of a frequency for Vick to take that chance this soon. Its just dumb. Remember, he has NOT been reinstated yet to play. He can practice and play preseason games. He is not yet reinstated for any of the regular season. If I were him I would limit my public appearances to what I have to do and to what projects favorably on me. I would avoid anything that is optional if it might shine unfavorably on me, and a bar is one of those places.

I will ask again, does anyone think it would be a good idea for him to go to a dog track just to relax? I think it would be absolutely stupid for him to do it.

I'll ask you: Maybe there was something else going on there, but it looks like a guy is having a drink in a bar. If he were a recovering alcoholic or a guy who killed someone in a DUI, yeah it would be closer to Vick taking in the dog races. I see apples and oranges here. I'd like to know what your guidelines are for Vick - no public alcohol consumption? Can he eat out in a restaurant? Should he be seen at all? Do you have a list of approved establishments? What drinks can he have? How are you going to determine whether he NEEDS a drink or WANTS a drink? Is he an alcoholic? What am I missing here?

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Who is talking about how it would affect "us all". This is about how it might affect Vick and his future. It wouldn't affect me one bit if he goes out and gets another fighting dog. I would need no help from God if he did that either. However, it would not be a wise thing for Vick.

Ya think?

I don't think anyone put their career on the line for Vick. If he fucks up, he gets punted from the team and likely goes back to prison. He got a second chance and now it's up to him.

Patler
08-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't think anyone put their career on the line for Vick. If he fucks up, he gets punted from the team and likely goes back to prison. He got a second chance and now it's up to him.

I thought we were discussing whether it was reasonable for Tony Dungy to have chastised him for it? Wasn't that the nature of the first post about this?

Dungy is there as Vick's mentor of sorts to guide him through this so he doesn't screw up. If I were in Dungy's shoes, I would tell Vick to stay the heck out of bars for the time being. It's not worth the risk. If you were in Dungy's shoes, would you tell him, "Sure, go have a drink in the airport bar. No problem." ?????

mraynrand
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM

I thought we were discussing whether it was reasonable for Tony Dungy to have chastised him for it? Wasn't that the nature of the first post about this?

Dungy is there as Vick's mentor of sorts to guide him through this so he doesn't screw up. If I were in Dungy's shoes, I would tell Vick to stay the heck out of bars for the time being. It's not worth the risk. If you were in Dungy's shoes, would you tell him, "Sure, go have a drink in the airport bar. No problem." ?????

I walked in in the middle of the covo. I don't think Vick needs to consult Dungy before having a drink in the airport bar. He might want to check with him on what paperback book to buy and read on the plane (no Dean Koontz). Also, take your own headphones and don't buy those cheap-ass earplugs. And whatever you do, don't watch that Renee Zelweger movie. It sucks.

pbmax
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Ya think?

Goodell, Lurie and Reid all have taken a substantial risk. Lurie especially as it will be the value of his franchise that takes the hit. He has brought some of it on his own head by the "pro-active" talk, but he risks a business' reputation none-the-less.

Goodell has risked his reputation concerning the League's Conduct Policy. That policy is Goodell's biggest move as commissioner and he has had a pretty heavy hammer so far. Vick got about the best deal possible considering the jail time. Goodell will take the brunt of blame if this goes bad. He rules on these cases by himself and need not follow any precedent not abide by any appeal process. The lasting effect of letting Vick back in, if it goes bad, lands right in his lap.

Going back to dog fighting is only one possible way for this to go bad for Vick. Patler has listed several others.

Patler
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM

I walked in in the middle of the covo. I don't think Vick needs to consult Dungy before having a drink in the airport bar. He might want to check with him on what paperback book to buy and read on the plane (no Dean Koontz). Also, take your own headphones and don't buy those cheap-ass earplugs. And whatever you do, don't watch that Renee Zelweger movie. It sucks.

I should have phrased it as a hypothetical for Dungy too, if you are going to be so literal. I'm not suggesting that Vick needs to clear everything with Dungy. That clearly was never my point. But, I would expect Dungy to advise him against the types of activities I mentioned if asked, and after the fact I would expect Dungy to tell him he took a foolish and unnecessary risk, just as Dungy apparently did. I certainly do not and would not criticize Dungy for doing either.

No one is putting their neck or job on the line for him, that is true, but Dungy is certainly taking a bit of a PR risk in backing Vick as he has. He doesn't have to do it. The Eagles hope to get a return for their "investment" in Vick. Dungy does not have a personal gain motive.

pbmax
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
If Vick fails because of off the field issues, I think Reid's job will be in jeopardy. He is de facto GM and he recommended this course of action. Before Vick, the Eagles were thought primed to make a run in the playoffs. If the season gets derailed and Vick is at the center of it, his butt will be on the hot seat.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM

he he...right....if ur going to drink have some bombay saphire

vick was actually in a hotel bar according to nfln

Please stick to whatever it is you know. Why would a vodka drinker drink gin?

MOBB DEEP
08-26-2009, 04:05 AM
NOT nice ty! :cry:

MOBB DEEP
08-26-2009, 04:06 AM
Mobb, if you don't understand why you would take a drink at a Hotel or airport bar, there in nothing I can do to help you.

The proper time to drink at a hotel bar?

When you are near it.

he he...

Tarlam!
08-26-2009, 05:10 AM
NOT nice ty! :cry:

You recently referred to a polite PM I wrote to you. I tried to find it, but must have deleted it. Knowing myself, I probably wrote something like this:

MOBB, you are obviously very intelligent and very well read. You know a lot about life; you know a lot about football. I believe you are a Packer's fan, though, I don't know for sure. I generally love Packer fans.

You definitely see life's cup as half full and you are a Believer; you are willing to forgive almost all sins committed on this board. You like to provoke the racial issue, you might even be Afro-American, though, I doubt it.

Why, then, with all of your obvious talents, can't you please, (please, please, please, please, please) begin sentences with a Cap, end sentences with a dot and throw in the apostrophe when using contractions or the possessive (genitive) form? It's not that difficult. It would make reading your propaganda that much easier!

Believe me when I say, I am not the only one on PR that would appreciate you using a little punctuation; forget grammar or spelling. Punctuation is pretty important when trying to decipher what people want to communicate.

I post this with all respect and without this being an attack. I hope.

P.S. This isn't an SMS service, so, it's easy to type words out at no extra cost. One may actually type out the word "you" without fear.

MOBB DEEP
08-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Ahhh...this is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it! (Psalms 118:24)....Who else woke up all excited and giddy that Vick da great will play tonight for the first time since new years eve 2006?! Dayum, almost THREE calendar years...! :evil:

Good to hear that he will play alot too; I believe 3 quarters. Very cool for McNabb to advocate this as well...

Tarlam!
08-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Great job!

MOBB DEEP
08-27-2009, 08:38 AM
yes'm masta... :lol:

MOBB DEEP
08-27-2009, 04:06 PM

i cant post the link but i googled it to see if it was a macabre joke

Wow, and now on the new jersey section of the nfl's online store they have Vicks jersey on the front page. It's flying off the rack in Falcon's territory too; chocolate city.

Make that loot pimp!

U think he will be able to sustain himself on the mere $300,00 a year allowance he will have?

MichiganPackerFan
08-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Not to harp on ya mobb, but that's a phrase I've always found offensive (regardless of who says it).

MOBB DEEP
09-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Very nice of goddell to let the money maker come back for game 3 :evil:

MOBB DEEP
09-04-2009, 06:08 AM

Not to harp on ya mobb, but that's a phrase I've always found offensive (regardless of who says it).

apologies

yo, did you say u got the sunday ticket? or u doing the sports bar circuit?

u live sorta near fast eddies on route 1 right?

MichiganPackerFan
09-04-2009, 07:49 AM

apologies

yo, did you say u got the sunday ticket? or u doing the sports bar circuit?

u live sorta near fast eddies on route 1 right?

I did the sunday ticket. Probably cheaper than the bar for me! Don't know fast eddies. I'm not too far from 1, but i know nothing south of 495...

What are your plans for game watching?

MJZiggy
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
He's coming to your house.

Tarlam!
09-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Well, I watched Vick against the Jets.

He wasn't Great. And, Mobb, now that we know you can spell and punctuate, why not cease insulting the entire board with your false gibberish. It IS an insult.

MOBB DEEP
09-05-2009, 07:43 AM

BINGO!

Actually I have the ticket as well. And although i really enjoy the banter and atmosphere, I wont be going to the bars this year. Unless Im out of town like I will be for Pack at Minny; will be cool to go to Damons in Milwaukee/Mequon to feel the energy.....

MOBB DEEP
09-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Well, I watched Vick against the Jets.

He wasn't Great. And, Mobb, now that we know you can spell and punctuate, why not cease insulting the entire board with your false gibberish. It IS an insult.

Hey, how you doing T? Have a good day...

MichiganPackerFan
09-05-2009, 11:44 PM

BINGO!

Actually I have the ticket as well. And although i really enjoy the banter and atmosphere, I wont be going to the bars this year. Unless Im out of town like I will be for Pack at Minny; will be cool to go to Damons in Milwaukee/Mequon to feel the energy.....

interesting... hmmmm. .. actually as i get settled in the area, might not be bad to get a couple together to yell at the TV...

SkinBasket
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
And being away from the game of football. I've had the opportunity to work with the Humane Society for the last 3 months. And I've been enjoying helping them eradicate dog fighting and becoming an animal cruelty advocate.

Who better to advocate cruelty to animals? MOBB, have you heard if he will be giving live demonstrations on proper technique?

Cheesehead Craig
09-09-2009, 04:41 PM
And being away from the game of football. I've had the opportunity to work with the Humane Society for the last 3 months. And I've been enjoying helping them eradicate dog fighting and becoming an animal cruelty advocate.

Who better to advocate cruelty to animals? MOBB, have you heard if he will be giving live demonstrations on proper technique?

His permit to open a dog breeding exhibition at the PA State Fair was turned down.

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2009, 08:05 PM

BINGO!

interesting... hmmmm. .. actually as i get settled in the area, might not be bad to get a couple together to yell at the TV...

Fa'sho

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM

he gave GREAT, introspective speech to those highschoolers from what I saw....REDEMPTION..

Rastak
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Now I feel like putting on Redemption Song by Bob Marley......*sigh*......Reggae calls.

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Now I feel like putting on Redemption Song by Bob Marley......*sigh*......Reggae calls.

he he....u gota smoke the hydro too then....

MJZiggy
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Dood. At least put up a link...

Rastak
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFGgbT_VasI

MJZiggy
09-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Thank you.

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Thank you.

Whew...

Rastak
09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I ain't known as Rastak for nothing.....back to our regularly scheduled football talk.....

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
ahhh.... :shock:

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Terrelle Pryor for prez 2016

Rastak
09-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Terrell Pryor for prez 2016

I was thinking Aaron Pryor.

MOBB DEEP
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Terrell Pryor for prez 2016

I was thinking Aaron Pryor.

Thats funny as all get out ras....u MUST be stoned

SkinBasket
09-09-2009, 09:54 PM

he gave GREAT, introspective speech to those highschoolers from what I saw....REDEMPTION..

Advocating cruelty against animals is very introspective. I think it probably gives a very accidentally lucid view into what is actually going on inside that cute little head of his.

MOBB DEEP
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
huh... :?

MOBB DEEP
09-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Uh Oh...Reid says Donovan has cracked ribs

If Goddell's whack tail had let The Vickster play immediately we could see him next week :evil:

But noooooo...we may have to see Kolb!

Dayum...

And the hoser goddell is at lambeau tonight! :evil:

mission
09-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I ain't known as Rastak for nothing.....back to our regularly scheduled football talk.....

Yet you take shots at weed smokers...

Fraudulent Rasta :lol:

MOBB DEEP
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Uh Oh...Reid says Donovan has cracked ribs

If Goddell's whack tail had let The Vickster play immediately we could see him next week :evil:

But noooooo...we may have to see Kolb!

Dayum...

And the hoser goddell is at lambeau tonite! :evil:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Quoting yourself? Adding nothing new.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

MOBB DEEP
09-15-2009, 08:20 PM
With the signing of Garcia, the Eagles are pretty much saying Vick is Percy Harvin huh?

Im sure he will be starting QB for another team next year; Redskins come to mind when they hire Cowher as coach who will make him the new Slash

MOBB DEEP
09-21-2009, 06:22 AM
At least the Vickster's playing next week. But with Kolb getting 291 yards in 1st start, he may never get significant time at the regular qB spot...

MOBB DEEP
09-23-2009, 07:12 PM
He sounds SO happy, humble, and appreciative that he has another chance

god bless america :cry:

I hope he doesnt press on sunday

Because the wildcat doesnt/HASNT lended itself to great passing numbers the past year or so, im sure reid's gonna try to utilize Vick's passing ability to take formation to another level....genius move by yet ANOTHER fat head coach lol....

Perfect situation for Mike; not too much pressure and the emrgence of the wildcat; as he is the originator of sorts

MOBB DEEP
09-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Son should play alot today; what with McNabb out and KC sucky.

LETS GOOOOOOO.....!

Gunakor
09-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Son should play alot today; what with McNabb out and KC sucky.

LETS GOOOOOOO.....!

KC had a pretty good game last week. 31 for 51, 391 yards, 2 TD's. That's a pretty good day's work IMO. Far from "sucky" to be sure.

Edit: I misread that, thought you were talking about KK (Kevin Kolb) who is slated to be the Eagles starter once again today.

KC (Kansas City) is pretty bad, but the Chiefs misfortunes won't help Vick rack up big numbers if Vick doesn't see the field other than in the Wildcat.

MOBB DEEP
09-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Sub-par today

Tyrone Bigguns
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
He woulda had to do something to even get to sub par.

Coulda been craig nall out there.

DAYUM

MOBB DEEP
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
ROFLMBO...

Nall

MOBB DEEP
10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
WOW, the Vickster signed endorsement deal with Nike yesterday

That didnt take long huh?

Im very surprised; its not like Nike is hurting for superstars to endorse their products!

And son isnt even a starter (when cats like Quinn start lol)

Guess thats why he's da Great

Maybe Dan Snyder will keep him in divsion next season

Cheesehead Craig
10-01-2009, 10:42 AM
WOW, the Vickster signed endorsement deal with Nike yesterday

That didnt take long huh?

Im very surprised; its not like Nike is hurting for superstars to endorse their products!

And son isnt even a starter (when cats like Quinn start lol)

Guess thats why he's da Great

Maybe Dan Snyder will keep him in divsion next season
He doesn't have an endorsement deal with Nike

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AimzcljSqR5gcMSgI8bLKAVDubYF?slug=ap-vick-nike&prov=ap&type=lgns

MichiganPackerFan
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AimzcljSqR5gcMSgI8bLKAVDubYF?slug=ap-vick-nike&prov=ap&type=lgns

Why you gotta rain on Mobb's parade?

Cheesehead Craig
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Why you gotta rain on Mobb's parade?

To uphold the commitment that we all have at Packerrats:

To only print the unassailable truth or nothing at all. :lol:

MOBB DEEP
10-11-2009, 12:19 PM
B.E.T. to have a Vick reality show.... :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Lord Favre

MOBB DEEP
10-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Redic...... hahahahahaha

MOBB DEEP
12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
The Vickster scores first TD since 2006 on 3rd down jaunt from the 5

Mixture of cheers and boos

MOBB DEEP
12-24-2009, 07:16 AM
His Greatness wins the Ed Block Courage award as voted on by his teammates... :wink:

MJZiggy
12-24-2009, 03:04 PM
'Cause it took balls to come back to the league after the shit he did?

Cheesehead Craig
12-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Vick's playing?

mraynrand
12-24-2009, 08:43 PM
His Greatness wins the Ed Block Courage award as voted on by his teammates... :wink:

Every dog has its day

Freak Out
12-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Who let the dogs out?

SkinBasket
12-25-2009, 10:00 AM

Yes, tremendous courage. In fact, Vick himself explained that no one could have endured what he did alone. Because he's a victim.

MOBB DEEP
01-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I hear the Vickster may be heading to Minny

ORGASMIC

MOBB DEEP
01-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Every dog has its day

dog day afternoon

Scott Campbell
01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
As Ron Wolf might say: "a fart in the wind"

Bretsky
01-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Yes, tremendous courage. In fact, Vick himself explained that no one could have endured what he did alone. Because he's a victim.

and an inhumane asswipe