PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Ted Thompson

RashanGary
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Wondering how people view the near future of the Packers.

Joemailman
05-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Someone recently said this team reminds them of the Packers circa 1994. I think they may be closer to 1995 if Rodgers is the real deal.

PlantPage55
05-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I voted the second option, but I'll tell you exactly how I feel.

I agree with the way that Ted Thompson is going about building this football team. The philosophy, in general, agrees with me. I think he has a very good eye for talent.

That said, if he fails - he fails. At some point, we need results. I'm not willing to wait much longer, but I don't think we'll have to. If the worst happens, that'll be too bad, because - like I already said - his philosophy is a sound one.

sheepshead
05-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Feelings, nothing more than feelings,
trying to forget my feelings of love.
Teardrops rolling down on my face,
trying to forget my feelings of love.

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it.
I wish I've never met you, girl; you'll never come again.

Feelings, wo-o-o feelings,
wo-o-o, feel you again in my arms.

Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
and feelings like I've never have you again in my heart.

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it.
I wish I've never met you, girl; you'll never come again.

Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
and feelings like I've never have you again in my life.

Feelings, wo-o-o feelings,
wo-o-o, feelings again in my arms.

mission
05-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I fucking love Ted Thompson.

What.

Zool
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I have no clue how to build a team. I don't work for a professional football team, or amateur for that matter. Thats basically like me saying I know what it takes to build a car from scratch. I sometimes like to pretend I know what I'm talking about, but in reality I don't.

Deputy Nutz
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Zool doesn't know how to build a car.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Zool doesn't know how to build a car.

Doesn't seem to stop most of the execs in Detroit. :lol:

SnakeLH2006
05-21-2009, 03:13 AM

What.

Mission...as funny as your avatar is...Snake can't envision drinking beers with you at/after the Rat game with that avatar. Just...can't..do..it.

bobblehead
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I voted the second option, but I'll tell you exactly how I feel.

I agree with the way that Ted Thompson is going about building this football team. The philosophy, in general, agrees with me. I think he has a very good eye for talent.

That said, if he fails - he fails. At some point, we need results. I'm not willing to wait much longer, but I don't think we'll have to. If the worst happens, that'll be too bad, because - like I already said - his philosophy is a sound one.

ditto, I love his method, but if we don't succeed I have to question if his eye for talent is as good as we believe it to be. If we don't raise the bar this and coming years I will do an end around and call for TT's head.

Deputy Nutz
05-21-2009, 01:34 PM

What.

Mission...as funny as your avatar is...Snake can't envision drinking beers with you at/after the Rat game with that avatar. Just...can't..do..it.

brutal.

Freak Out
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Someone recently said this team reminds them of the Packers circa 1994. I think they may be closer to 1995 if Rodgers is the real deal.

No fucking way this team is 95 caliber...even with Rodgers going Zeus. Remember the DL on that team?

I hope they play like that! :)

Freak Out
05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Just like most of the other clueless around here I voted with the majority. :lol:

Tony Oday
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I voted for the first one...I really like this team and the coaches. I wish we had a better O line...it just seems like this is really the year for them to gell, if not uh oh.

Joemailman
05-21-2009, 02:00 PM

No fucking way this team is 95 caliber...even with Rodgers going Zeus. Remember the DL on that team?

I hope they play like that! :)

95 had a great DL, but the LB's other than Simmons were pedestrian. AT WR they Brooks and not much else. Freeman wouldn't emerge until 96. I'll take Woodson and Harris over Evans and Newsome, who was a rookie in 95. Just saying there are areas where this team is better than 95. 95 went 11-5 which I think is attainable in 09 if certain things go right.

cpk1994
05-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I voted for the first one...I really like this team and the coaches. I wish we had a better O line...it just seems like this is really the year for them to gell, if not uh oh.I think the line would imorove a lot if M3 would just pick 5 guys and stick with it. He will never get continuity and cohesion "shuffling the deck" like he has been doing the last 2 seasons.

Scott Campbell
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I'll feel a lot better about Ted if they win 10 games or more this year.

RashanGary
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
70% pro Thompson
30% anti Thompson

A year after Brett Favre was run out of town

"Hey Brett. Tell me how my bleep tastes" (Ted Thompson)

Ted just knocked Brett off his high horse in Green Bay. Ted's a guy who speaks softly but carries a big stick.

cpk1994
05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm curious as to the one person who who think that TT is the worst GM in the NFL. I think it is Packerarcher, myself.

wist43
05-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Positives

TT departed from his script and actually addressed holes on the roster - which I, and a lot of Packer nation, have been calling for; he made a bold move up to aquire a player he thought would fill one of those holes (Matthews); and, he finally admitted that playing flag football on the defensive side of the ball wasn't going to win us anything.

Negatives

Their team identity is still centered around the QB position, Rodgers has proven nothing, and both backups are better suited to star in acne commericials than to start at QB in the NFL; with all of the positives surrounding the picks of Raji and Matthews there are still quite a few holes on the defense as it exists, too many miscast players, and both starting CB's are getting long in the tooth; the OL is still a mess.

TT shocked me when he actually jumped his board and took Raji; and I was equally suprised that he fired Sanders and switched to a 3-4 - something I wanted him to do when he was hired - all of this gives me some hope, but it is tempered by the negatives and TT's unwillingness to augment the roster thru FA.

PlantPage55
05-21-2009, 05:34 PM
and I was equally suprised that he fired Sanders and switched to a 3-4

You do realize that Mike McCarthy was responsible for all of this, right - including the initial retaining of Sanders.

Bretsky
05-21-2009, 06:43 PM
not sure I'd agree with any of the answers; but I'd fall between the second and third one

Tyrone Bigguns
05-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Who is the solitary voter for TT is the worst?

mraynrand
05-22-2009, 09:47 AM
I didn't vote. I have no desire to 'feel about' Ted Thompson. Maybe Tank would enjoy exploring that as part of his 'Ted Trapped in the Closet' version 83.

mngolf19
05-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I voted for here and there. The thing I see from outside is that you won't be elite this year because you are changing your D scheme and expecting 2 rookies to change all the defensive problems from last season. (yes you needed a new DC but that wasn't the only weakness) No one is going to be elite in the same year as they change their scheme on either side of the ball. So then I would ask, is M3 in any trouble with a 9 or less win season and how does this save or hurt TT by acting on that?

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2009, 03:31 PM
expecting 2 rookies to change all the defensive problems from last season.

Well, partly. You never know about rookies. They could make a difference, but more than anything we are looking at Barnett, Jenkins, Bigby, Hawk, Pickett, Harris returning to full health. Who knows about Harrell. Losing Jenkins and Barnett was big. Bigby was a difference maker in 2007. Hawk played injured and he was considerably worse in 2008 than 2007 and 2006. Pickett wasn't at full strength for much of the year. Harris missed several games. Harrell barely played. Many of those guys are key parts to the defense. The defense wasn't always horrible, but it seemed to wear down at the end of games and was the key contributor to the Packers losing more close games than any team since the mid 80s Browns.

mngolf19
05-22-2009, 03:37 PM
expecting 2 rookies to change all the defensive problems from last season.

Well, partly. You never know about rookies. They could make a difference, but more than anything we are looking at Barnett, Jenkins, Bigby, Hawk, Pickett, Harris returning to full health. Who knows about Harrell. Losing Jenkins and Barnett was big. Bigby was a difference maker in 2007. Hawk played injured and he was considerably worse in 2008 than 2007 and 2006. Pickett wasn't at full strength for much of the year. Harris missed several games. Harrell barely played. Many of those guys are key parts to the defense. The defense wasn't always horrible, but it seemed to wear down at the end of games and was the key contributor to the Packers losing more close games than any team since the mid 80s Browns.

I know what your saying Harv, but I just don't ever give credence to injuries as an excuse unless you lose your absolute best player. The rest need to have depth or there is something wrong with how the team is being built. Otherwise with the things you stated, that's why I would say they should win 10 this year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2009, 03:47 PM
I know what your saying Harv, but I just don't ever give credence to injuries as an excuse unless you lose your absolute best player. The rest need to have depth or there is something wrong with how the team is being built. Otherwise with the things you stated, that's why I would say they should win 10 this year.

A couple of injuries is one thing, but we had 6 of our 11 starters on defense either miss significant time or play considerably worse than normal while playing through injuries. There comes a point where it's really hard to overcome injuries.

Scott Campbell
05-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I know what your saying Harv, but I just don't ever give credence to injuries as an excuse unless you lose your absolute best player.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/45/456132m.jpg

Rastak
05-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I know what your saying Harv, but I just don't ever give credence to injuries as an excuse unless you lose your absolute best player.

Kampman must have spent his entire spring in Mexico on the beach 24x7.

Scott Campbell
05-22-2009, 06:03 PM

I have no idea what you mean.

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2009, 06:06 PM

You mean Chuck Woodson? I really hope Jenkins can come back and stay healthy. He was a beast early last year. If he can give us a full season as a solid starter as a 3-4 DE, that will be a big help.

Rastak
05-22-2009, 06:27 PM

You mean Chuck Woodson? I really hope Jenkins can come back and stay healthy. He was a beast early last year. If he can give us a full season as a solid starter as a 3-4 DE, that will be a big help.

Woodson is one of those guys like Winfield, at the age when they could fall off at any time. Jenkins certainly looks to be a good one. Kampman is the top dude on that defense right now, IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Woodson is one of those guys like Winfield, at the age when they could fall off at any time. Jenkins certainly looks to be a good one. Kampman is the top dude on that defense right now, IMO.

Is that a prediction for this season? Last year, Woodson was the best player on our defense. I'd argue he was the best each of the last two seasons--although it was close between him and Kampman the year before. Of course, Kampman had no help up front, but by extension Woodson didn't have any help up from the front either.

Rastak
05-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Is that a prediction for this season? Last year, Woodson was the best player on our defense. I'd argue he was the best each of the last two seasons--although it was close between him and Kampman the year before. Of course, Kampman had no help up front, but by extension Woodson didn't have any help up from the front either.

Prediction? No, not at all. I have no idea how he'll play. Just mentioning he's getting old like Winny. Anyway, one could argue Woodson was the best last year. I think a DE that dominates adds more than a CB so I weight them higher.

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Wood's not just a good CB. He's a dynamic playmaker. A really difference maker on a defense. Generally, a good DE has more value than a good CB. Good playmaking, cover corners are hard to find though. Of course, Kamp could be better this year, but the discussion was about our injuries last year. Last year, the best player on our defense was Wood.

Rastak
05-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Wood's not just a good CB. He's a dynamic playmaker. A really difference maker on a defense. Generally, a good DE has more value than a good CB. Good playmaking, cover corners are hard to find though. Of course, Kamp could be better this year, but the discussion was about our injuries last year. Last year, the best player on our defense was Wood.

I only saw about 5 or 6 games so I bow to your judgement on the matter.

I do agree the dude is a playmaker. Kampman drew attention because he was the best pass rusher and still got 9.5 sacks. I do see your point though.

Scott Campbell
05-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I still think Jenkins was the best player on D while he was healthy last year. Chuck was a close second. Kamp was a distant 3rd.

The Leaper
05-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I can't say we WILL be playoff regulars over the next 5 years, but Thompson has put some key pieces in place. He's handled the transition from Favre successfully, and we have a capable game manager QB in place...Rodgers just needs to learn how to step up and take over when he has to now. We have a hell of a WR corp. We are weak at RB and OL IMO...those areas are a concern going forward with a cold weather team.

The defense has talent, but we really don't know much about how it will come together in a new system. Harrell remains a question mark. Harris is getting old...fast. It could turn out great...it could fail horribly. I think Thompson has done a good job getting the defensive talent for the coaches to utilize...I don't have 100% confidence in McCarthy's staff to get it done though.

SnakeLH2006
05-23-2009, 12:14 AM

:tup:

Kampy has been great (let's see how he is as an OLB, as Snake's hoping for the best), and Jenkins in spurts, but the core of our D hurt last year and coming back will be HUGE this year. I want BJ and Clay to contribute as starters at some point, but the real issue is getting our core D guys back.

As far as Woodson falling off...I'm more worried about Al. Wood's instincts could keep him in the league till he's 40, as he lost his speed years ago, but has since evolved into a dynamic ballhawk who can win games by himself at times, and play hurt. Al, while great at times, relies on technique/blasting WR's with his physical style. If he's not 100%, he's the CB I'd worry about falling off. Wood has evolved and will be a safety in the future if need be.

SnakeLH2006
05-23-2009, 01:40 AM

What.

brutal.

All right...maybe so, as some of ya seem pretty fun to drink with (mission bring that yayo bro), but Skin asked a few days ago about shots (Snake ain't taking 'em...vaccinations no....bar shots yes, and plenty) for your strippers. Fuck that shit. I'll take the chance of a random STD with a college ho (did many and dated plenty without a rash) over a 300 lb. fat black stripper. Where's that been at? You know she's got some stuff. None of which Snake wants. N.O.N.E. Hope your party van is big enough, Nutz.

--------------------------------------------

In all seriousness...Snake is considering this shit heavily with the Rat game...Money, no prob. but say we all tailgate and meet up after the game, the prob. goes as such:

What about the game? Snake don't wanna sit next to some chain-smoking car salesman bitching about the Pack downfall starting with cutting Blair Kiel or some old ass Mary-Kay make-up ho from the 80's talking how she used to blow Perry Kemp in her hey-dey, all by Snake's self. No? Any thoughts? If I go, and want to, prob. gonna get 2 tickets (one for a non-Rat buddy) so I can sit by someone DURING the game. No? What's your takes? What are you doing?

mission
05-23-2009, 02:16 AM

What.

brutal.

All right...maybe so, as some of ya seem pretty fun to drink with (mission bring that yayo bro), but Skin asked a few days ago about shots (Snake ain't taking 'em...vaccinations no....bar shots yes, and plenty) for your strippers. Fuck that shit. I'll take the chance of a random STD with a college ho (did many and dated plenty without a rash) over a 300 lb. fat black stripper. Where's that been at? You know she's got some stuff. None of which Snake wants. N.O.N.E. Hope your party van is big enough, Nutz.

In all seriousness...Snake is considering this shit heavily with the Rat game...Money, no prob. but say we all tailgate and meet up after the game, the prob. goes as such:

What about the game? Snake don't wanna sit next to some chain-smoking car salesman bitching about the Pack downfall starting with cutting Blair Kiel or some old ass Mary-Kay make-up ho from the 80's talking how she used to blow Perry Kemp in her hey-dey, all by Snake's self. No? Any thoughts? If I go, and want to, prob. gonna get 2 tickets (one for a non-Rat buddy) so I can sit by someone DURING the game. No? What's your takes? What are you doing?

lol you crack me up bro...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SnakeLH2006
05-23-2009, 03:28 AM

What.

brutal.

lol you crack me up bro...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO. But this is some serious shit. Mission we will get wasted. That is a fact. Skin, Tarlam, and Nutz will take turns getting Swine Flu from some ATL stripper by the name of Zanadu in Nutz's van. I don't want that shit. I'm single and looking to move on some GB ho's in the clubs. I'm 29 and looking younger than that, but I don't care bout all that, but how is everyone doing tickets? I'd hate to hear about how TJ Rubley was wronged by some guys from a repo lot all day long or how Kitrick Taylor had an 11 inch wong by some 50 year old Packer ho? No? It sucks, but prob. will have to bring some young blood to the game for seats...What are y'all doing? Either way, Mission, we are gonna get wasted and go clubbing. Snake looks 22 and ready for college ho fun. :shock: :lol:

Fritz
05-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Positives

TT departed from his script and actually addressed holes on the roster - which I, and a lot of Packer nation, have been calling for; he made a bold move up to aquire a player he thought would fill one of those holes (Matthews); and, he finally admitted that playing flag football on the defensive side of the ball wasn't going to win us anything.

Negatives

Their team identity is still centered around the QB position, Rodgers has proven nothing, and both backups are better suited to star in acne commericials than to start at QB in the NFL; with all of the positives surrounding the picks of Raji and Matthews there are still quite a few holes on the defense as it exists, too many miscast players, and both starting CB's are getting long in the tooth; the OL is still a mess.

TT shocked me when he actually jumped his board and took Raji; and I was equally suprised that he fired Sanders and switched to a 3-4 - something I wanted him to do when he was hired - all of this gives me some hope, but it is tempered by the negatives and TT's unwillingness to augment the roster thru FA.

Rodgers has proven nothing? For real? Nothing at all?

Bretsky
05-23-2009, 08:56 AM
We're fine there