PDA

View Full Version : Work begins on Packers' new defense

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Quality article by Bedard on the Packers transition to the 3-4. He's a lot better when he's not giving his own opinion.
:D

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/45873682.html

DE - We have good DEs for the system. You want unselfish guys that can occupy blockers who aren't concerned with their sack totals. I think Jenkins, Pickett, Raji, and Jolly (and Harrell, if he's healthy) all fit the bill. Most of those guys were DTs, so they haven't been relied upon for sacks.

NT - Pickett and Raji are both big DTs who won't get washed out by an OL.

ILB - Sounds like they are going to give Hawk the playmaking role. The role that blitzes and runs around to make plays. At times, he'll need to take on some blockers. Barnett will be used more in a coverage role. On paper, it sounds like it fits what those guys can do.

LOLB - Reading Taylor's thoughts on the transition I think he'll be successful. He talks about playing low (being flexible and playing with leverage), and I think that's one of Kampman's strengths. He's not superfast, but he's athletic and flexible.

ROLB - Kampman will mostly rush the passer, but the ROLB will need to be able to read when an offense is paying too much attention to Kampman, and he needs to bring it. It will be key for that guy to get home early in the season when he does blitz. Otherwise, teams will be able to focus on Kampman. Hopefully, Matthews is up to that challenge.

CB - More off coverage means a tough transition for Harris. I think Woodson is capable of playing well in any scheme--at least until he gets too old.

FS - I like Collins, but I'm a little concerned about him being the QB of the defense. He a wonderful athlete and a playmaker (now that he's catching more balls), but he isn't all that bright. Hopefully, with experience he's become football smart.

SS - If Bigby plays like he did in the second half of 2007, I think he can be that dynamic playmaker (a poor man's Polamalu). However, there's no guarantee he'll get back to that.

packrulz
05-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Interesting article, but from what I understand the Pack will be running a "hybrid" 3-4, and will line up in a 4-3 sometimes. Hopefully, Dom will be able to bring out the best in their stud players like Kampman, Hawk, Collins, Woodson, Raji, & etc. M3 has mentioned putting Pickett on the field with Raji, I think it's a great idea on running downs. Anthony Smith is the dark horse candidate at safety, and he's only 25. Mentally, it will be tough, I expect some growing pains at least the first half of the season.

gbpackfan
05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Great article. I've been waiting for this type of article. The Brett Favre shit is getting really, really, really old.

cpk1994
05-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I didn't think the words Bedard and quality article would ever be in the same sentence. :)

pbmax
05-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Interesting article, but from what I understand the Pack will be running a "hybrid" 3-4, and will line up in a 4-3 sometimes. Hopefully, Dom will be able to bring out the best in their stud players like Kampman, Hawk, Collins, Woodson, Raji, & etc. M3 has mentioned putting Pickett on the field with Raji, I think it's a great idea on running downs. Anthony Smith is the dark horse candidate at safety, and he's only 25. Mentally, it will be tough, I expect some growing pains at least the first half of the season.
A hybrid 3-4 has been thrown around by people to describe specific kind of 3-4 that is favored by Belicheck and Parcells. On run downs is features lots of 2 gap play by all three D lineman. There is an article here (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/08/coaching-preview-alabamas-nick-saban-vs.html) describing Saban (Belicheck guy) running it.

Pittsburgh and Capers have been running a different kind of 3-4 that features less two gapping by the DEs. But in transition cases from 4-3 personnel to 3-4, Capers has been know to run both in the first two years, so he can use the talent he has until he is able to do 3-4 100%.

So, according to current theory, he will be running both 3-4 and 4-3.

By the way, Ted Thompson used to play a traditional, static 3-4 with the Houston Oilers that was all 2-gap and linebacker driven. Parcells/Belicheck and the Steeler D coaches adapted that kind of scheme to make it more dynamic. One of the Steeler coaches at the time was Tony Dungy. The Steelers made the switch in 1983 as the 3-4 was fading in the AFC, Parcells was running it with Bill for the Giants, although I am not sure of the starting point. He was head coach by 1984 I believe.

pbmax
05-24-2009, 09:41 AM
In the article, I was surprised to see Smith the former Steeler listed at FS with Collins. I thought he was known as a playmaking type and not the brains of the outfit?

Only Bigby and Rouse are listed by Greg at Strong Safety.

I was glad to see that Bedard was able to kiss and make up with Jason Taylor. Unless that quote is years old. :lol:

Bretsky
05-24-2009, 09:48 AM
good article by Bedard; now people in here can stop bagging on him as being junk because he doesn't always kiss TTT's behind

I'm not sure how much to expect from Smith; it would not surprise me if somebody steps up and he doesn't make the team

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2009, 09:58 AM
good article by Bedard; now people in here can stop bagging on him as being junk because he doesn't always kiss TTT's behind

One article does not make a career.

Deputy Nutz
05-24-2009, 10:15 AM
What ever this defense is going to be it certainly isn't a Bob Sander's defense, and certainly that is the most important thing.

FlashPack
05-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Great article. I've been waiting for this type of article. The Brett Favre shit is getting really, really, really old.

AMEN !

Patler
05-24-2009, 10:56 AM

One article does not make a career.

Exactly. I have become quite critical of Bedard, not because "he doesn't always kiss TTT's behind," but because there are too few decent, well-researched, analytical articles either pro or con. In fact, I like reading both sides of an issue, and would gladly accept critical and supportive articles if they are based on fact and logic rather than simply gossip and emotion.

packrulz
05-24-2009, 11:13 AM
A hybrid 3-4 has been thrown around by people to describe specific kind of 3-4 that is favored by Belicheck and Parcells. On run downs is features lots of 2 gap play by all three D lineman. There is an article here (http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/08/coaching-preview-alabamas-nick-saban-vs.html) describing Saban (Belicheck guy) running it.

Pittsburgh and Capers have been running a different kind of 3-4 that features less two gapping by the DEs. But in transition cases from 4-3 personnel to 3-4, Capers has been know to run both in the first two years, so he can use the talent he has until he is able to do 3-4 100%.

So, according to current theory, he will be running both 3-4 and 4-3.

By the way, Ted Thompson used to play a traditional, static 3-4 with the Houston Oilers that was all 2-gap and linebacker driven. Parcells/Belicheck and the Steeler D coaches adapted that kind of scheme to make it more dynamic. One of the Steeler coaches at the time was Tony Dungy. The Steelers made the switch in 1983 as the 3-4 was fading in the AFC, Parcells was running it with Bill for the Giants, although I am not sure of the starting point. He was head coach by 1984 I believe.
Thanks max, good reading, this quote sums it up well:
Let's allow Saban to explain his defensive philosophy in his own words. From one of his LSU defensive playbooks:

“[Our] philosophy on first and second down is to stop the run and play good zone pass defense. We will occasionally play man-to-man and blitz in this situation. On third down, we will primarily play man-to-man and mix-in some zone and blitzes. We will rush four or more players versus the pass about ninety-percent of the time.

“In all situations, we will defend the inside or middle of the field first – defend inside to outside. Against the run, we will not allow the ball to be run inside. We want to force the ball outside. Against the pass, we will not allow the ball to be thrown deep down the middle or inside. We want to force the ball to be thrown short and/or outside.

“… Finally, our job is to take the ball away from the opponents’ offense and score or set up good field position for our offense. We must knock the ball loose, force mistakes, and cause turnovers. Turnovers and making big plays win games. We will be alert and aggressive and take advantage of every opportunity to come up with the ball . . . . The trademark of our defense will be effort, toughness, and no mental mistakes regarding score or situation in any game.”

DonHutson
05-24-2009, 02:26 PM
After all the fretting and worrying about Kampman this offseason, this article accomplishes one thing. It establishes Nick Collins as the real key to making this defense work. I don't worry much about Kampman making the transition. I worry a lot about Collins being smart enough to QB the entire defense. And that's assuming he'll be here working on it all summer, an assumption which appears to be very much in doubt.

It's a real catch 22, and it should be a much bigger story than that former QB of ours. The Packers don't want to extend Collins until he proves he's not a fluke, and more importantly until he proves he can handle a very demanding role in this D. Collins doesn't seem real eager to get on the field until he has a new deal. The whole D hinges in large part on the FS's ability to make adjustments, and the FS is in a stalemate with no clear solution.

Jimx29
05-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Great article. I've been waiting for this type of article. The Brett Favre shit is getting really, really, really old.Good thing no ones mentioned him in this thread

pbmax
05-24-2009, 07:41 PM
After all the fretting and worrying about Kampman this offseason, this article accomplishes one thing. It establishes Nick Collins as the real key to making this defense work. I don't worry much about Kampman making the transition. I worry a lot about Collins being smart enough to QB the entire defense. And that's assuming he'll be here working on it all summer, an assumption which appears to be very much in doubt.

It's a real catch 22, and it should be a much bigger story than that former QB of ours. The Packers don't want to extend Collins until he proves he's not a fluke, and more importantly until he proves he can handle a very demanding role in this D. Collins doesn't seem real eager to get on the field until he has a new deal. The whole D hinges in large part on the FS's ability to make adjustments, and the FS is in a stalemate with no clear solution.
Also check out Packer Update (http://www.packerupdate.com/pu/2009/05/raj.html), they have a decent article on how the Nose Tackle is the key to the defense and they think its BJ Raji despite what McCarthy was saying after the rookie camp.

Fritz
05-25-2009, 07:08 AM

I think this is a very salient point. If this safety position is the key to calling the defense, and if Collins is not terribly adept at picking up on theoretical ideas, and if he's not going to show up for offseason things, that's some scary sh_t. And Smith, from what I've heard, is not exactly Dexter, Boy Genius, either.

Lurker64
05-25-2009, 08:37 AM
And Smith, from what I've heard, is not exactly Dexter, Boy Genius, either.

It's my understanding that Smith is in the mix at Strong Safety, rather than Free Safety, and at SS there's a different Dexter we'd want him to emulate:

http://www.pastdeadline.com/images/2008/01/07/dexter1.jpg

wist43
05-25-2009, 09:24 AM

AMEN !

Just do like me... don't read the BF stuff :D

Haven't read the first one, and I'm a happier man for it :alc:

wist43
05-25-2009, 09:26 AM

Also check out Packer Update (http://www.packerupdate.com/pu/2009/05/raj.html), they have a decent article on how the Nose Tackle is the key to the defense and they think its BJ Raji despite what McCarthy was saying after the rookie camp.

My preference would be to see Pickett as the starter, have BJ spell him occasionally, and save BJ for pass rush situations... his quickness, overall movement skills, and ability to collapse the pocket are what is most desperately needed from him.

Besides, BJ is going to get his snaps... but I'd prefer to see him kept fresh, instead of taking the constant pounding at the nose.

rbaloha1
05-25-2009, 11:29 AM

My preference would be to see Pickett as the starter, have BJ spell him occasionally, and save BJ for pass rush situations... his quickness, overall movement skills, and ability to collapse the pocket are what is most desperately needed from him.

Besides, BJ is going to get his snaps... but I'd prefer to see him kept fresh, instead of taking the constant pounding at the nose.

BJ and Pickett need to be on the field at the same time. Two space eaters and maybe 3 with Harrell makes it harder to run the ball and allows ilbs to flourish.

Joemailman
05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Today Bedard posted more from his interviews with Hoge, Noble and Gilbert Brown that did not make it in the original article. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46114552.html

SnakeLH2006
05-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Don't hate Bedard Arrigo! :lol: Joe's trying.