PDA

View Full Version : Greg Ellis suddenly available

Patler
05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Jerry Jones announced that he will trade or release Greg Ellis after a meeting with Ellis on Tuesday morning.

pbmax
05-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Its intriguing. Wasn't he one of the many odd selections Jerry made while running the show himself? I seem to recall a bunch of reaches for D lineman, although I may be thinking of Ekuban.

He's got a cap number of over $4 million right now, I cannot see T2 trading for that. But if comes up on Free Agency and Harrell is still rehabbing as camp starts... maybe.

Fritz
05-26-2009, 04:36 PM
My ignorance . . . I thought Ellis was a lineman-turned-linebacker. No?

Chevelle2
05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I think we should take a look. A veteran who knows the 3-4 could help ease the transition.

Which reminds me, I thought we had mutual interest in Kevin Carter? :(

]{ilr]3
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
He is 33 years old I think.

I am thinking that makes it a no deal for TT.

swede
05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Man, I loved Ellis. I'm shocked to hear he's available.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/4234ge.jpg

Packers4Ever
05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
{ilr]3]He is 33 years old I think.

Too bad, TT only likes the young dudes :wink:
But it sure would be nice to have another guy who
is familiar with the 3-4.

I just do not trust this Harrell deal. :roll:
He's been around for a long time - for what ???

SnakeLH2006
05-27-2009, 02:37 AM

Too bad, TT only likes the young dudes :wink:
But it sure would be nice to have another guy who
is familiar with the 3-4.

I just do not trust this Harrell deal. :roll:
He's been around for a long time - for what ???

No shit...Why you think I'm trying to get out his basement? :shock: :lol:

Fritz
05-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Man, I loved Ellis. I'm shocked to hear he's available.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/4234ge.jpg

Love that old uni.

Merlin
05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
What is our cap looking like right now? Can we afford to bring him in even for a look see?

Harlan Huckleby
05-27-2009, 01:37 PM

not so ignorant, I was thinking he was a running back for the packers back in the early 80's.

LEWCWA
05-27-2009, 06:56 PM

not so ignorant, I was thinking he was a running back for the packers back in the early 80's.

You are correct, Ellis was in the same situation as Kampman is now. He made the transition and was ok...he isn't big enough to play de in the 3-4. He is not what the Pack should be looking for. Now if they were still in a 4-3 def. He would be a perfect player to come in!

Patler
05-27-2009, 09:13 PM

You are correct, Ellis was in the same situation as Kampman is now. He made the transition and was ok...he isn't big enough to play de in the 3-4. He is not what the Pack should be looking for. Now if they were still in a 4-3 def. He would be a perfect player to come in!

The story out of Dallas is that Ellis absolutely hates playing in the 3-4; and that is the reason for the breakup. Jones agreed to trade him or release him so he can go back to being a DE, probably in a 4-3.

DonHutson
05-28-2009, 08:28 AM
The story out of Dallas is that Ellis absolutely hates playing in the 3-4; and that is the reason for the breakup. Jones agreed to trade him or release him so he can go back to being a DE, probably in a 4-3.

That's the odd thing about it. Ellis was a fairly mediocre DE who all of a sudden went to a Pro Bowl as an OLB. Not sure what he has to bitch about.

I suspect the real story is that he's probably losing a step and they want someone to step up and replace him, and Ellis is offended that he should have to compete for his job. TS, dude. That's life.

Fritz
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM

I wonder if Detroit is looking for a veteran DE.

Chevelle2
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Cut today

espn.com

Pack-man
06-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Ellis cut by Cowboys
ESPN.com news services

The Dallas Cowboys, perhaps wanting to avoid another offseason spat with Greg Ellis, released the Pro Bowl linebacker Tuesday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had acknowledged last week that the 12th-year pro, who has a recent history of complaining about his role, his contract, or both, likely would be playing elsewhere this fall.

Ellis, the Cowboys' first-round pick in 1998, played in 162 games, starting 156 of them.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Bolded section is why I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole. All we need is another guy who is gonna complain about his role or contract. Don't we have enough already?

SkinBasket
06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Bolded section is why I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole. All we need is another guy who is gonna complain about his role or contract. Don't we have enough already?

I'm not sure we have any. The newspaper guys like to think so, but it seems when they're actually interviewed the players have other opinions... and dead dads.

Fritz
06-05-2009, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure we have any. The newspaper guys like to think so, but it seems when they're actually interviewed the players have other opinions... and dead dads.

Ah, quit complaining about your dead dad, Mr. Football Player.

woodbuck27
06-07-2009, 06:07 AM

Yah right! He wouldn't fit TT's '5 more years' plan.

]{ilr]3
06-07-2009, 09:31 AM

Not sure what plan you mean? But here is goes anyway.

I think TT is still drafting and bringing in players according to his original plan when he was hired to "build through the draft". He hasnt done much in the FA market, but he has brought in Woodson, Pickett and Grant and they have worked out pretty well.

I know a lot of people think he should be fired or is on the hot seat this year. Maybe so, but he hasnt changes his M.O. yet and started the "Fuck the future, I am drafting and signing FA to save my job" plan like the Bears and the Vikings are doing.

Bretsky
06-07-2009, 10:23 AM
{ilr]3]

Not sure what plan you mean? But here is goes anyway.

I think TT is still drafting and bringing in players according to his original plan when he was hired to "build through the draft". He hasnt done much in the FA market, but he has brought in Woodson, Pickett and Grant and they have worked out pretty well.

I know a lot of people think he should be fired or is on the hot seat this year. Maybe so, but he hasnt changes his M.O. yet and started the "Fuck the future, I am drafting and signing FA to save my job" plan like the Bears and the Vikings are doing.

One could argue TTT's mojo to be "it's all about the future"

TT should be fine through next year

If by chance.........and I don't believe they will...........crash again next year then he might belong on the hot seat.