PDA

View Full Version : Tarkenton rips Favre

mngolf19
05-27-2009, 05:39 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2895&elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanch O7DiUr

As the Vikings wait to see if quarterback Brett Favre will end his retirement and play for them this coming season, the greatest quarterback in franchise history lashed out at Favre’s handling of the situation.

Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, appearing on 790 The Zone in Atlanta, said “it’s all about” Favre when discussing the subject and also had some interesting comments about NFL owners in general. Tarkenton, a resident of the Atlanta area, didn’t need any encouragement to go after Favre and was especially critical of how the future Hall of Fame QB has treated the Packers after playing 16 seasons in Green Bay.

“I think it’s despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good,” said Tarkenton, who played for the Vikings from 1961-66 and again from 1972-78. ”Here’s an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn’t about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre’s of the world so much, they think it’s about them. He goes to New York and bombs. He’s 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year [playing for] the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers? I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.”

Tarkenton might have been a little strong in his assessment of Favre’s play with the New York Jets last season. The Jets, who acquired Favre’s rights from the Packers during training camp, were 8-3 at one point but finished by losing four of their last five games and missed the playoffs. Favre retired for a second time after the season in part because of a partially torn biceps in his throwing arm that continues to bother him.

It’s interesting that Tarkenton feels so strongly about how Favre dealt with the Packers because when the Vikings traded Tarkenton to the New York Giants after the 1966 season he wasn’t on exactly good terms with the franchise. Clearly he sees this as a completely different situation.

“He told the Packers [after 2008 that], ‘I’m retiring,’” Tarkenton said. “They’ve got to move on. They’ve got to go through their offseason plan, their workouts, they go with the other quarterback [Aaron Rodgers], who is a good player, and then [Favre] comes back and says, ‘I think I want to play.’ … You build your team in the offseason. Everybody knows that. It’s about team. It’s not about Brett Favre. So he goes and runs up to the Jets, doesn’t even dress in the locker room with the players. Has a separate facility. Playing quarterback is about the relationships you have with your coaches, with your players, with your trainers, with your managers. How can you do that if you show up on gameday and you haven’t put the time in. And now he’s trying to do it again in Minnesota. And if Minnesota bites, God bless them.”

Asked what more the Packers could have done last year, Tarkenton said: “They did everything, but you get into a position, and I understand he’s been glorified so much. He’s been a great player, there’s no question about it, but it’s all about him. It is supposed to be all about your team. If you’re going to be the quarterback of your team, you need to be there in the offseason workouts in March and April. Peyton Manning’s there. Tom Brady’s there.”

Tarkenton was known for his scrambling when he played the game and Favre always has been considered a gunslinger.

“I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that I’ve ever seen,” Tarkenton said. “Look at his final game in a Packers uniform [the NFC title game in the 2007 season]. He blew that game against the Giants. He’s playing against Eli Manning, I love Eli Manning, but he’s still not a great quarterback. He’s not Peyton yet, or Tom Brady. He’s just a guy. And [the Packers] are playing at home, and they’re in a tight situation, they went to overtime and [Favre] throws the interception that allows [the Giants] to come back and win the game.

” … He has done that and driven his coaches crazy all of his career. But it’s team, is it not? I know [one of the hosts] is talking about, ‘I’d give him a shot,’ I think it would be terrible. [The Vikings are] trying to put together a team all spring. They’ve been there, they’ve been bonding, they’ve getting together. He hasn’t met the team, he hasn’t been there bonding, he hasn’t been part of that organization.”

Tarkenton went on to say that the role of the quarterback, “is to make your teammates better,” and “if you make your teammates better you’re [going] to have a chance to win.”

“Your whole focus is on making your teammates better,” he said. “When you step in that huddle they’ve got to want to play. … You work with each one of them in the week. I coached the running backs, the linemen, the wide receivers, I took them to dinner, I bonded with them. I had no other life but them. That was my life. In the offseason, training camp, that was my life. I bonded with them. Ahmad Rashad today, he’s one of my best friends. That makes it happen for you.

“What Brett Favre had going for him and what Tom Brady has going for him and what Peyton Manning has going for him, is that they came into an organization that was stable. Great general managers, great ownership, great coaching. You need that to be a quarterback. Brett Favre should be grateful to Green Bay. Stable, all-time great organization and he just treated them horribly last year and now he wants to get revenge. Isn’t that fun? What is this about?”

One of the hosts pointed out that Tarkenton knows Zygi Wilf and wondered why he didn’t give the Vikings owner a call to discuss the subject. ”No,” Tarkenton said. “The people that own these teams, they don’t ask anybody’s opinion except some of the junkies that are inside the league that are going to try to manipulate them anyway. They don’t go and ask somebody else that maybe has a little knowledge of it because that would be deprecating to them because they are guys that either they made millions or their daddy’s made millions and they own these teams now and, ‘I’ve got to be smarter than everybody else in the world. I bring all my kids and all my friends into the locker room.’ My owners never went in the locker room.”

Tarkenton never directly named Wilf or any other member of the Vikings ownership group when he made the above comment but the Vikings do have members of ownership in the locker room after games. Tarkenton did meet Wilf in October 2005 when the Vikings played in Atlanta.

Asked what would have happened if the Vikings ownership group had tried to bring friends and family into the locker room when Bud Grant was the coach, Tarkenton said: “He wouldn’t have them in the locker room. He kicked out Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell. Our owners didn’t come in the locker room and they shouldn’t come in the locker room. You’re going to war.”

Here is a link to the Tarkenton audio if you want to listen.

Bretsky
05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Just a couple points

1. I don't think Fran Tarkington knows the whole picture than anybody in here; and hate to bring it up again but IMO we don't know half of what happened. Only what was fed to us through the media and the politician GB hired to make them smell better.

2. I do agree regarding a lot of the OTA's. I am trying to recall when this all started; I think it was with Sherman. But whoever started the mojo if giving Favre off season time off with the OTA's started something bad.

This is somethink I actually agree with JH on.

Whether he threw or not, he should have been there during all of the OTA's to mesh with his teammates.

My view on all of that has kind of changed over the years.

3. Being a Viking "fan" as well, I doubt Tarkington has ever cared much for Brett Favre so he'll have his anti bias

4. Since Fran bombed out on multiple Super Bowls, I wonder how he'd feel if Favre came to Minnesota and won it all ?

5. Going back up to #2, I think toward the end of career, to his own fault, Favre and his teammates were more distant than in his younger years. I also think Favre loves and game of football and is addicted to it and addicted to the idea of winning.

He wants to come back and the opportunity to satisfy both of his addictions could certainly be met as a Minnesota Viking QB. Dude still wants to play.

Rastak
05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
You replied to the wrong post Bretsky......too many threads on the same subject.

Scott Campbell
05-27-2009, 11:11 PM
4. Since Fran bombed out on multiple Super Bowls, I wonder how he'd feel if Favre came to Minnesota and won it all ?

My guess - very surprised.

Harlan Huckleby
05-27-2009, 11:16 PM
hate to bring it up again but IMO we don't know half of what happened.

I hate to bring up again too, but Favre went on the Gretta VAn Sustern Show and spilled his guts.

We know quite well what happened, both sides have had their say in the court of public opinion.

Bretsky
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM

I hate to bring up again too, but Favre went on the Gretta VAn Sustern Show and spilled his guts.

We know quite well what happened, both sides have had their say in the court of public opinion.

Yes, we'll disagree forever on this

You can play the we know it all version because it came out via the media

And I'll play the it's silly to think all things come out through the media card

Bossman641
05-28-2009, 12:21 AM

And I'll play the it's silly to think all things come out through the media card

Can you give me one reason why the Favre side would be holding anything back? Not even what they're holding back, but why you think they are. Favre has shown repeatedly he's come with everything he's got. Why would he hold anything back at all?

cpk1994
05-28-2009, 08:33 AM

And I'll play the it's silly to think all things come out through the media cardUmm,B, the Greta intervierw came directly out of Brett's mouth. Maybe you just forgot about that one.