PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you seen this picture of Brett Favre

woodbuck27
07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/images/2006/04/favrereturns.jpg

I was very moved when I found it tonight.

Dear God! What is he going through here - thinking?

" You're never guaranteed about next year. People ask what you think of next season, you have to seize the opportunities when they're in front of you." Brett Favre

GBRulz
07-17-2006, 10:34 PM
yes, it was from the Oakland game in 02 after that great comeback win!! Great pic indeed.

esoxx
07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
GBM is partially correct. It was against Oakland on a late comeback win in '99. That was also the time he broke down in the post-game press conference and had to excuse himself.

FavreChild
07-17-2006, 10:40 PM
What game do you mean? The Oakland game after his dad's death was in December '03. The Oakland game where he broke down in his press conference with reporters was in '99, I think....

FavreChild
07-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Nevermind.

But how do you know it was from that game? The tears were after the game....?

GBRulz
07-17-2006, 10:44 PM
ohh yeah. I stand corrected, it was 99. There is also this pic from that game....

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/xmm111.jpg

woodbuck27
07-17-2006, 10:45 PM
yes, it was from the Oakland game in 02 after that great comeback win!! Great pic indeed.

I have never seen a picture of Favre that got to me like this particular Gem.

It leaves quite an impression. A wonderful photograph.

HarveyWallbangers
07-17-2006, 10:45 PM
It was his first game after Holmgren had left. The Packers first three wins that year were last minute comebacks engineered by Brett.

esoxx
07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
What game do you mean? The Oakland game after his dad's death was in December '03. The Oakland game where he broke down in his press conference with reporters was in '99, I think....

It was the '99 Oakland game where he broke down in the post-game interview and had to leave the room. Apparently, he had given up drinking for good leading up to the that time and recommitted to his marriage.

woodbuck27
07-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Green Bay vs. Oakland

9/12/99 - Packers win 28-24

Packers Pull Out Emotional Win

DE Vaughn Booker had one of four Packers sacks of Raiders QB Rich Gannon during the Packers 28-24 victory over the Oakland Raiders.

The post-game hug said it all. Upon entering the locker room, Head Coach Ray Rhodes sought out quarterback Brett Favre and hugged him and thanked him for delivering a come from behind 28-24 win over the Oakland Raiders in the opening game of the 1999 season.

The Packers trailed for most of the contest, leaving the 59,872 screaming cheeseheads with little to cheer about, however, it was the Packers who drew first blood. Bill Schroeder lined up wide right, ran a 4-yard slant pattern, Favre zipped the ball to him, and the Pack led 7-0.

The Raiders would answer that drive with a 41 yard field goal by Michael Husted. The Silver and Black would follow that with an interception which led to a 1-yard touchdown run by Randy Jordan. The Green and Gold would head into the locker room trailing by a 10-7 score.

Dorsey Levens fumbled on the ensuing Packer possession to give Oakland good field position to start their next drive. After two running plays, the Raiders decided to test one of the rookie cornerbacks. They lined James Jett up across from Mike McKenzie. Gannon tried to exploit the rookie, but McKenzie was up for the challenge as he intercepted the pass in the end zone, giving the Packers possession on their 20-yard line. It was McKenzie's first career interception. And more importantly, it kept the score tight at 10-7.

The Raiders received the kickoff to open the second half, but were forced to punt after a sack by Santana Dotson and strong defensive pressure by Vaughn Booker and Brian Williams. On the ensuing drive, the Packers took over on their own 12-yard line. On third down, Favre found Antonio Freeman over the middle for a 51 yard gain, but the home team would pay the price, as Favre jammed his right (throwing) thumb on the helmet of a defender. He would remain in the game, but it was clear the tough quarterback was in pain. He would go on to complete 2 of his next 3 passes including a 12 yard touchdown strike to a wide open Freeman, giving the Packers a 14-10 lead.

The teams would trade punts. The Oakland Raiders, led by Rich Gannon, were facing a third and 9 from the Packer 44-yard line, James Jett lined up wide right, Fred Vinson lined up across from him. Jett used his world class sprinting speed to get by the rookie cornerback and give Oakland a first down, knocking on the Packer goal line. Once again, the seesaw tilted toward the Raiders sideline, as they opened up a 24-14 bulge with 10:52 remaining.

This time it was Brett Favre marching his offense down the field completing 6 of 7 passes. The drive may have stalled if not for a successful challenge by Rhodes and his staff. Favre threw a pass to tight end, Tyrone Davis, which was initially ruled incomplete. Heeding the advice of the coaches in the coaches' box, Rhodes challenged the call. Upon further review the call was reversed and the Packers had a first down at the Oakland 14-yard line. Favre then found Freeman open 6 yards down the field. On the ensuing play, Favre scrambled left, then right, and let the ball fly toward the back of the end zone. Corey Bradford dove in front of Antonio Freeman, and caught his first NFL touchdown pass closing the margin to three points.

Still trailing by three points, the defense knew they had to get the ball back to give the offense a chance to win the game. And it did. The defense rose to the occasion forcing two punts on the Raiders next two possessions.

If you give Brett Favre and the Packer offense too many chances to win a football game, they will find a way to win it. The Packers started with 1:51 remaining on the clock, no time outs to use, and a wounded quarterback holding the reins to the offense. Favre executed an economical and precise drive, wasting very little time, spreading the ball around to his various weapons. The drive culminated with a 1-yard touchdown catch by Jeff Thomason with 11 ticks remaining on the clock.

Of note in Favre's performance, the final drive was the fourteenth time Favre has led a come from behind drive to win a game, additionally, this was the 14th four-touchdown pass performance of his career, moving him into third place on the NFL's all-time list, behind Dan Marino (21) and Johnny Unitas (17). He also climbed the all-time NFL touchdown pass list moving past George Blanda into 16th place on the list.

With the accolades, the respect of his coach and the exhaustion of the victory, Favre broke down in the post-game press conference.

Defensively, Brian Williams tied a career high with 16 tackles in today's game, a feat previously accomplished three seasons ago against Tampa Bay.

GBRulz
07-18-2006, 08:17 AM

It was the '99 Oakland game where he broke down in the post-game interview and had to leave the room. Apparently, he had given up drinking for good leading up to the that time and recommitted to his marriage.

My brother is always saying that he needs to start cheating on his wife and partying like a rock star again so he can regain his MVP form. MEN :roll:

Pack0514
07-18-2006, 08:42 AM

Everyone here can boo me and prove me wrong but I dont think it was from an Oakland game. If you look at his feet, he has turf shoes on and it looks like he is sqatting on turf. Neither GB or Oakland have turf. They both have real grass. That being said, I have no clue what game it is from.

mraynrand
07-18-2006, 08:56 AM

Everyone here can boo me and prove me wrong but I dont think it was from an Oakland game. If you look at his feet, he has turf shoes on and it looks like he is sqatting on turf. Neither GB or Oakland have turf. They both have real grass. That being said, I have no clue what game it is from.

Ahh, now we have a mystery! Some clues to not overlook. 1) The Packers lay down some artificial turf along the sidelines that players walk on. I've seen it at games, but I'm not sure how much is there. 2) Favre has green stains on his pants either from grass or from field paint. it looks like field paint to me, and since it is green, it suggests it's most likely a home game. 3) If the game were indeed a game on artificial turf, why would Favre have stains from grass or chalk?

MJZiggy
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Where did you find the picture, Woodbuck?

woodbuck27
07-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Where did you find the picture, Woodbuck?

Ziggy I'm loking for that for you and in the process found this spectacular pic of William Henderson:

On making the first man miss demo Vs. 'the Vikings'.

It would have really bugged me, if we had lost him to Minny this off season.

Here's that great action photo.

Many of you saw the game and play down the right side of the field, for close to a 20 yard gain, as I recall it.

Whoooopsss! I thought that pic was up there once, but alas it's vanished. . sorry folks.

Try this link and page down past the half way length of the page to see the pic:

http://green-n-gold.com/blog/index.php?paged=2

That's a keeper, MJ.

MJ, I'll come back to you, on where I found the pic of Favre. Often, I'm just surfing, looking for anything Packers and stumble on a pic etc. that might be of some interest and generate discussion.

I grab it like ' a Fagan lad ' and go !

I'll find it's origin - pour moi, pour vous Ziggy.[/b]

Bossman641
07-18-2006, 12:16 PM
The picture is from the September 12, 1999 game against Oakland.

Here's the same picture

http://justagirl.com/top5/brett/gallery/1999/brett75.html

Oscar
07-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Great link Bossman. Lots of cool pictures.