PDA

View Full Version : OTA "No Surprises"

Fritz
05-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Article in the JSO today with "sources" was pretty bland - which, from a fan's perspective, is good.

There still seems to be some question as to whether Collins is missing for family reasons or contract reasons or both. Today, it was family reasons. He says he and the coaches "have an understanding."

Just a thought and question on Collins: if it turns out he's not going to come to camp because of the contract thing, is there any way TT could trade him for someone else's safety? Is there a safety out there with experience in the 3-4 who is not over the hill, has some talent, and a workable contract situation? I'm just wondering - it's not like Collins wouldn't be appealing to teams - being a pro-bowler and a young guy. I'm not saying I think he should be traded, either. Just wondering if it could happen - if there are any comparable safeties out there who have 3-4 experience and could be had.

Good news: Harrell appears to be participating, though it's not clear whether it's on a full or part time basis. But the article says he must've passed a team physical. A small but good step.

Bigby was out though he'd supposedly recovered from last season't injuries. So it's not clear why he's not participating.

RashanGary
05-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Good news: Harrell appears to be participating, though it's not clear whether it's on a full or part time basis. But the article says he must've passed a team physical. A small but good step.

He was a big, strong, smart college player. Hopefully we can get him to 100%. Raji, Matthews and Harrell (health bonus) would be like 3 first round picks being added to the team and two on the DL.

Waldo
05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Not to mention, Harrell is not a rookie. He showed noticeable technique improvement between his first and second year. Even though he didn't see the field much, when he did it is apparent that he has been progressing and is not the same player he was in rookie camp. Plus the behind the scenes classroom type stuff like learning offensive schemes and tape watching, the mental reps, he's been a part of all along, and will be far beyond Raji and Matthews in that regard.

RashanGary
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Not to mention, Harrell is not a rookie. He showed noticeable technique improvement between his first and second year. Even though he didn't see the field much, when he did it is apparent that he has been progressing and is not the same player he was in rookie camp. Plus the behind the scenes classroom type stuff like learning offensive schemes and tape watching, the mental reps, he's been a part of all along, and will be far beyond Raji and Matthews in that regard.

Very true. Physically though, I can't imagine he'll be much past a rookie. He hasn't been able to really work out for an extended time for a couple years. Mentally he'll have an edge, but physically he's still a rookie. I would be shocked if he was a really good player. Average starter is the very best I can hope for this year, but even that would be a big addition to our defense.

RashanGary
05-28-2009, 11:28 AM
GBPG has a cool twitter feed that they update minute by minute. Go to their daily blog and they provide a link. Either that or search for tom pelissario (spelling).

HarveyWallbangers
05-28-2009, 11:36 AM
According to Bedard, these guys got the first snaps. I'm sure it's pretty insignificant, but interesting.

C Spitz, RG Sitton, RT Barbre
DL Raji, Pickett, Jenkins
ROLB Thompson (not Poppinga)

Scott Campbell
05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
According to Bedard, these guys got the first snaps. I'm sure it's pretty insignificant, but interesting.

Not surprised at all on the Guards. My guess is that's who they'd like to step up as the starters.

rbaloha1
05-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Thompson fits the scheme -- bye bye Poppinga

Fritz
05-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Interesting. I thought I'd been reading that Thompson was going to play on Kampman's side as the primary backup. So either they really like Thompson, or else Poppinga was on a pee break and Matthews was still trying to find his helmet when the defense got called on the field.

HarveyWallbangers
05-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Interesting. I thought I'd been reading that Thompson was going to play on Kampman's side as the primary backup. So either they really like Thompson, or else Poppinga was on a pee break and Matthews was still trying to find his helmet when the defense got called on the field.

Matthews isn't at practice. Bedard reports Poppinga was on the field when the second team came on. I doubt it means much though.

PlantPage55
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Well, Thompson has way better measurables/athletic ability when compared to Poppinga. His drill numbers are outstanding. And he's very intelligent to boot. I'd love to see him on the field and break-out to make a big impact.

KYPack
05-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Wells was held out. He's recovering from shoulder surgery in Jan. Can't say I had heard he got knifed for the shoulder.