PDA

View Full Version : Collins' father dies of cancer

MadScientist
05-28-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46363107.html

Well, that qualifies as a serious family issue.

RashanGary
05-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Nick Collins is very close to his dad from what I've understood. That is very sad. Best wishes to the Collins family.

Rastak
05-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Terrible news for the guy.....only 56 too....very sad.

Spaulding
05-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Couldn't imagine being Nick and getting hounded by press, fans, etc. on why he's not going to be in town and missing the start of the OTA's when he's just lost his Father.

Also amazed at the season he put together last year given the fact his mind must have been elsewhere at times with his Father during his battle with cancer.

Hopefully football will be the distraction he needs and once the Pack hopefully wraps up negotiations with Jennings they can focus on Nick and an extension.

Chevelle2
05-28-2009, 10:33 AM
:(

BlueBrewer
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM
This is a sad story, forgive me for being insensitive but why not just tell some media whore that his father was sick and he would like some privacy for him and his family instead of hiding it the entire time and letting them print that the only reason was a contract dispute? :?:

KYPack
05-28-2009, 11:17 AM
More than one person feels like they have egg on their face based on their feeling toward Nick's absences. Guess "family issues" was really true in this case, eh?

RashanGary
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Let the record show that the scuz balls at JS were leading the charge in hyping up the contract dispute. GBPG talked about it as a possibility, but wasn't nearly as suggestive or wrong.

BlueBrewer
05-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Let the record show that the scuz balls at JS were leading the charge in hyping up the contract dispute. GBPG talked about it as a possibility, but wasn't nearly as suggestive or wrong.

Shoundn't you be BJ Raji or Clay Mathews now?

Scott Campbell
05-28-2009, 11:29 AM
My condolences to Nick and his family.

I still think there is a contract issue. It looks to me like Nick understandably wants to cash in on last year while he can. There's no guarantees that he'll excel in the new system, and his contract expires at the end of the season. I get it.

However, he's scheduled to make just north of $3M this year. That's a lot of dough for a safety. It's hard to cry the blues when you're making that kind of money. This isn't Ryan Grant playing for the $600K minimum.

I understand why he's putting pressure on the Packers to resign him. I'd do the same thing. But he'd be a fool to miss any significant camp time this year. That has the potential to seriously damage his ability to get a lucrative new contract - with the Packers or anybody else.

So far this thing has played out exactly as it should. I won't get concerned unless he starts missing a lot of the mandatory training camp.

Pacopete4
05-28-2009, 11:47 AM
This is a sad story, forgive me for being insensitive but why not just tell some media whore that his father was sick and he would like some privacy for him and his family instead of hiding it the entire time and letting them print that the only reason was a contract dispute? :?:

Maybe Nick doesnt give a rats ass what us fans think.. I'm sure TT/MM knew and thats all that needed to know..

BlueBrewer
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Maybe Nick doesnt give a rats ass what us fans think.. I'm sure TT/MM knew and thats all that needed to know..

You are probably right, but Mcarthy did say it was business related.... oh well not worth dwelling on.

cpk1994
05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
This is a sad story, forgive me for being insensitive but why not just tell some media whore that his father was sick and he would like some privacy for him and his family instead of hiding it the entire time and letting them print that the only reason was a contract dispute? :?:I wouldn't have mattered. The media would have printed the contract issue anyway. They need stories to sell newspapers which are dying.

cpk1994
05-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Let the record show that the scuz balls at JS were leading the charge in hyping up the contract dispute. GBPG talked about it as a possibility, but wasn't nearly as suggestive or wrong.YOu are right about that. THe MJS are so desperate to sell newspapers they lose whatever journalistic integrity they had, which wasn't much to begin with.

Administrator
05-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Wasn't it the JS who came out and said that they learned the true reasons why he was absent, but out of respect for his privacy they weren't going to comment further?

Also, since that announcement, they've been rather quiet. I looked briefly for the story/blub/comment but couldn't find it. Anyone else remember?

cpk1994
05-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Wasn't it the JS who came out and said that they learned the true reasons why he was absent, but out of respect for his privacy they weren't going to comment further?

Also, since that announcement, they've been rather quiet. I looked briefly for the story/blub/comment but couldn't find it. Anyone else remember?I don't remember them doing that. What I remember is that they did run a story about the family issues, but shortly after, Bedard began to bring up the contract issue again in his blog. From that point, everytine Collins was mentioned by him, or any other Packer writer, "contract dispute" was the reasoning they gave. It real easy to see why they are all of a sudden quiet. You can't speak when you are eating your foot.

Bretsky
05-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Collins agent fueled the fire with his comments. JS did imply an issue.....but I think they waited to run with it further until Collins agent was quoted

falco
05-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Also, since that announcement, they've been rather quiet. I looked briefly for the story/blub/comment but couldn't find it. Anyone else remember?

You're absolutely correct - it was just after fan fest. They even admitted they knew what it was but didn't disclose it. I'm not a defender of JSO, but clearly in this case Collins' agent's comments indicate that there definitely is more to the story - so hard to blame JSO for their story.

You can't speak when you are eating your foot.

You seem to do a good job of it...

pbmax
05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Its amazing what people can accomplish when they put their minds to it.

Despite an on the record statement by Collins agent that regardless of the family issue, Collins would STILL NOT REPORT to the OTAs, some of the folks on this thread have decided its a media invention.

Redacted: Unnecessary to point fingers

And its not fuel to the fire. Its the damn fire. (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/451386)

agent David Butz said: As always, family comes first and foremost with Nick, as it should. But despite any other issues or concerns, Nick would not be attending the offseason program — regardless of any family matters.

Patler
05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
What a great thing it was for Nick to make the Pro Bowl last season, while his father was still here to enjoy Nick's success with him.

MJZiggy
05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I hadn't thought of it that way. Great point!

pbmax
05-28-2009, 10:31 PM
What a great thing it was for Nick to make the Pro Bowl last season, while his father was still here to enjoy Nick's success with him.
How am I supposed to argue with a thought like this? :oops:

A very kind perspective Patler

Scott Campbell
05-28-2009, 10:36 PM

Nicely said.